PDA

View Full Version : The changing business of Collegiate Athletics

GreenfieldBison
12-17-2020, 01:15 PM
The College Athlete Bill of Rights, proposed Thursday by co-authors Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., and Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., would create sweeping changes for college sports, including provisions that would force some schools to share revenue with some of their athletes, guarantee lifetime scholarships to athletes in good academic standing, establish health and safety rules enforced by hefty fines for violators, and set up a fund to cover some out-of-pocket medical expenses for current and former athletes.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30533536/congressional-proposal-overhaul-college-sports

Here is another take on this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/booker-democratic-lawmakers-introducing-ncaa-reform-bill-ncaa-corey-booker-athletes-athletes-compensation-b1775542.html

GreenfieldBison
12-17-2020, 01:29 PM
And there is this - NCAA passes blanket waiver allowing all D1 transfers to compete immediately.

https://twitter.com/InsidetheNCAA/status/1339336750276243458?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

HerdBot
12-17-2020, 03:32 PM
And there is this - NCAA passes blanket waiver allowing all D1 transfers to compete immediately.

https://twitter.com/InsidetheNCAA/status/1339336750276243458?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Given the pandemic, I think it's a fair deal. Heck this season is basically a free season of eligibility anyways. Most teams nationally can't afford an extra scholarship year when they haven't budgeted for it. So you'll see more players left out of a full ride just based on raw numbers. The power 5 schools have unlimited money but the G5, FCS, D2, and D3 teams can't all afford this

Professor Chaos
12-17-2020, 06:06 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30533536/congressional-proposal-overhaul-college-sports

Here is another take on this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/booker-democratic-lawmakers-introducing-ncaa-reform-bill-ncaa-corey-booker-athletes-athletes-compensation-b1775542.html
If this legislation passes and is enforced it'll be a bloodbath for non-revenue sports, and the athletic careers for the students that play them, at the collegiate level.

I can understand the reasoning behind it and there are parts of it I agree with but I hope people realize that it's going to hurt more college student-athletes than it helps.

nodak651
12-17-2020, 08:21 PM
If this legislation passes and is enforced it'll be a bloodbath for non-revenue sports, and the athletic careers for the students that play them, at the collegiate level.

I can understand the reasoning behind it and there are parts of it I agree with but I hope people realize that it's going to hurt more college student-athletes than it helps.

I wish people could understand the difference between revenue and profit. (in terms of revenue sharing, not your use of it)

HerdBot
12-17-2020, 09:50 PM
I wish people could understand the difference between revenue and profit. (in terms of revenue sharing, not your use of it)

Most non revenue sports actually lose money for athletic departments. They cost more than they take in. Good example is NDSU softball. The weather sucks so bad, they only get a handful of home games and the max capacity is like 500. Traditionally they would draw under 100 people per game. Meanwhile they fly everywhere and stay at hotels. No TV deal money. No big guarantees from opponents. No merchandise sales. The players get full ride scholarships with full cost of attendance. Big money loser and cash drain.

College teams rarely if ever profit. They use their TV revenues as a way to increase their spending.

Now if you only had mens basketball and football... you would probably see athletic departments turn profits. TV revenue. Merchandise sales. Sponsorship's. Ticket sales. Those 2 sports essentially fund everything else. This is true at the higher levels.

If we want to make some moderate growth, getting our WBB program to a point where they can draw 1500 a game would be a big financial boost to our entire athletic department. Instead of losing money... generate revenue to reduce losses or grow the budget

56BISON73
12-17-2020, 10:19 PM

Im shocked!!!!

bisonaudit
12-17-2020, 11:56 PM

I wish that people could understand that the concept of profit is not relevant to organizations that aren’t allowed to make profits.

HerdBot
12-18-2020, 12:03 AM
I wish that people could understand that the concept of profit is not relevant to organizations that aren’t allowed to make profits.

I suppose its technically more like a non profit. You gotta spend your profits

GreenfieldBison
12-18-2020, 12:23 AM

Well, how about we just call it, excess revenue?

Gully
12-18-2020, 12:31 AM
Most non revenue sports actually lose money for athletic departments.

How profound.

bisonaudit
12-18-2020, 02:15 AM
Well, how about we just call it, excess revenue?

There is no excess revenue. There’s only the challenge of finding things to spend it on (preferably things that don’t include the employees who provide the entertainment and earn the revenue, but definitely includes my salary to the extent I can get away with it).

GreenfieldBison
12-18-2020, 12:27 PM
There is no excess revenue. There’s only the challenge of finding things to spend it on (preferably things that don’t include the employees who provide the entertainment and earn the revenue, but definitely includes my salary to the extent I can get away with it).

So are Booker and Blumenthal just ignorant of the whole system then? Or is that "profit sharing" feature included in their proposal just as window dressing or something?

bisonaudit
12-18-2020, 12:50 PM
So are Booker and Blumenthal just ignorant of the whole system then? Or is that "profit sharing" feature included in their proposal just as window dressing or something?

I would say the the writer and their editor at the newspaper don't know what profit means. The ESPN story says revenue sharing.

I don't know for sure but what i can piece together from looking at both stories it seems like the proposal is 50 percent revenue sharing with the value of scholarships included in the player's share. That would apply only to sports where revenues exceed 2x scholarships.

Yote 53
12-18-2020, 01:49 PM

Booker is just plain ignorant. How people like him get put into positions of authority will never cease to amaze me.

I don't like the NCAA. I don't like this current culture in college athletics, I can transfer with no restriction, pay me my worth, me, me ,me. This type of legislation further forces professionalism onto college athletics. I love college sports, obviously, I am on an NDSU board right now. This increase of free transfers and paying players is a huge turn off to me. If I want to watch pros I'll turn on pro sports. in effect, college athletes are going to end up biting the hand that feeds them as people like me start tuning out college sports and withhold financial support. If they can force a hard core college sports fan like me away, that's going to be a problem.

GreenfieldBison
12-18-2020, 03:08 PM
I would say the the writer and their editor at the newspaper don't know what profit means. The ESPN story says revenue sharing.

I don't know for sure but what i can piece together from looking at both stories it seems like the proposal is 50 percent revenue sharing with the value of scholarships included in the player's share. That would apply only to sports where revenues exceed 2x scholarships.

So given your previous comment about finding places to spend imaginary excess do you suppose that if this proposal or something like it were to ever become law that these athletes would ever see any shared revenue beyond what they already receive?

GreenfieldBison
12-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Booker is just plain ignorant. How people like him get put into positions of authority will never cease to amaze me.

I don't like the NCAA. I don't like this current culture in college athletics, I can transfer with no restriction, pay me my worth, me, me ,me. This type of legislation further forces professionalism onto college athletics. I love college sports, obviously, I am on an NDSU board right now. This increase of free transfers and paying players is a huge turn off to me. If I want to watch pros I'll turn on pro sports. in effect, college athletes are going to end up biting the hand that feeds them as people like me start tuning out college sports and withhold financial support. If they can force a hard core college sports fan like me away, that's going to be a problem.

Not sure if I agree with your main thesis here or not. Have not made up my mind I guess because I don't know enough yet.

Regarding Corey Booker though I'll just point out that he played football at Stanford where he earned a BA and an MA. He then attended The Queens College in Oxford, England as a Rhodes Scholar and notched yet another MA. Then he earned a JD from Yale Law. He might be distastefully progressive or something but ignorant he ain't. Just sayin.

Yote 53
12-18-2020, 03:23 PM
Not sure if I agree with your main thesis here or not. Have not made up my mind I guess because I don't know enough yet.

Regarding Corey Booker though I'll just point out that he played football at Stanford where he earned a BA and an MA. He then attended The Queens College in Oxford, England as a Rhodes Scholar and notched yet another MA. Then he earned a JD from Yale Law. He might be distastefully progressive or something but ignorant he ain't. Just sayin.

You can be book smart as hell but still be ignorant.

HerdBot
12-18-2020, 03:56 PM

I like some of Booker's progressive ideas, but other's are a bit too left for my taste. But I won't totally throw him under the bus. I like him, I just don't agree with him on many things

gabisonfan
12-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Whether it's Booker or anyone else, unless they are either a performer or someone paying the bill for the perfomer to appear it's not their affair. Just because someone says stick your nose in it , doesn't mean you should. If you are going to advocate change do it the level of the participants not a legislature looking for votes. If "minor leagues " are viable start a minor league.

bisonaudit
12-18-2020, 11:13 PM
So given your previous comment about finding places to spend imaginary excess do you suppose that if this proposal or something like it were to ever become law that these athletes would ever see any shared revenue beyond what they already receive?

Yes. That’s the point. That’s why you use revenue sharing, not profit sharing. You’ve still got the issue of defining revenue but it’s a hell of a lot easier than trying to define profit for a non-profit organization.

GreenfieldBison
12-18-2020, 11:28 PM
Whether it's Booker or anyone else, unless they are either a performer or someone paying the bill for the perfomer to appear it's not their affair. Just because someone says stick your nose in it , doesn't mean you should. If you are going to advocate change do it the level of the participants not a legislature looking for votes. If "minor leagues " are viable start a minor league.

I’m not sure if it is one of the two articles I linked at the thread start or somewhere else but I read that the head of the NCAA (not gonna look up his name) has asked Congress for a legal framework within which then can do their thing. So, there’s another piece of the puzzle.