PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Verbal: Mike Florentine

tony
11-09-2020, 09:37 PM
Mike Florentine, 6-1, 225, LS, Frankfort (Lincoln Way East), IL

https://twitter.com/mikeflo20 (https://twitter.com/mikeflo20)

https://www.rubiolongsnapping.com/player-rankings/profile?player=8955

SafeTeeJ
11-10-2020, 12:52 AM
Mike Florentine, 6-1, 225, LS, Frankfort (Lincoln Way East), IL

https://twitter.com/mikeflo20 (https://twitter.com/mikeflo20)

https://www.rubiolongsnapping.com/player-rankings/profile?player=8955

Wow! What a lazer!!! Welcome to the herd!

tolnabison
01-20-2022, 01:21 PM
Florentine has entered the transfer portal.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-blog-bison-have-key-special-teams-player-enter-transfer-portal

Looks like we will need to find a new Long Snapper before next season.

mtoutfitter
01-20-2022, 01:41 PM
Florentine has entered the transfer portal.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-blog-bison-have-key-special-teams-player-enter-transfer-portal

Looks like we will need to find a new Long Snapper before next season.

Is Brozio still the backup LS?

ndsubison1
01-20-2022, 01:47 PM
You never notice the LS unless they f*ck up, never noticed him this year.

23Bison
01-20-2022, 02:09 PM
I believe Brozio is still the LS. Could be wrong.

Check that: I thought he was the starting LS.

BisonHorns
01-20-2022, 10:39 PM
We don't need a long snapper if we go for it on every fourth down.

GreenfieldBison
01-20-2022, 11:43 PM

And go for 2 after every TD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay
01-21-2022, 03:20 AM
Long snapper from Northern State is a name to watch for a replacement.

mtoutfitter
01-21-2022, 03:41 AM
Long snapper from Northern State is a name to watch for a replacement.

Kinda makes ya wonder why the guy would enter the portal having 3 more yrs as the main LS. Must be something he didn't like? Not trying to imply anything, just saying it seems odd.

El_Chapo
01-21-2022, 03:56 AM
Kinda makes ya wonder why the guy would enter the portal having 3 more yrs as the main LS. Must be something he didn't like? Not trying to imply anything, just saying it seems odd.

2 letters

F B S

mtoutfitter
01-21-2022, 04:06 AM
2 letters

F B S

If I want any replies from the Midgets in the Peanut Gallery, I'll let you know.

ndsubison1
01-21-2022, 01:45 PM

Maybe thinks he can catch on at a P5?

tony
01-21-2022, 03:04 PM

Don't need to go for it on fourth down if we convert on every third down.

El_Chapo
01-21-2022, 03:33 PM
Maybe thinks he can catch on at a P5?

shh he doesn't want to hear that

TAILG8R
01-21-2022, 03:59 PM
How is K-State's LS position shaping up this year?

tony
01-21-2022, 04:06 PM
If I want any replies from the Midgets in the Peanut Gallery, I'll let you know.

I prefer to be called an elf or gnome in the unlikely event that you want a reply from me. And I'm in the almond orchestra seats.

mtoutfitter
01-21-2022, 04:39 PM
I prefer to be called an elf or gnome in the unlikely event that you want a reply from me. And I'm in the almond orchestra seats.

Wasn't referring to you Tony.

StL Bison Fan
01-21-2022, 04:49 PM
I am a little surprised at his transferring (or wanting to). What is the demand for his position? Will he get more looks at a FBS school?
Maybe this wasn’t a football only decision.
I will remain puzzled on this one

tony
01-21-2022, 05:46 PM
Wasn't referring to you Tony.

I know, but I was wondering if Lakes would prefer to be called a gnome too.

BISONBRI53
01-21-2022, 08:12 PM
Was he brought in as a LS? Maybe he wants to play the position that he played before he got here.

NDSU1980
01-21-2022, 09:02 PM
Was he brought in as a LS? Maybe he wants to play the position that he played before he got here.

His bio says he was a 2 year starting long snapper in high school, so I doubt it. It's too bad he's moving on. I doubt many even knew who he was, which is a good sign for long snapper, you only get attention when you screw it up.

mtoutfitter
01-21-2022, 09:58 PM

21 recruiting summary lists him as a Long Snapper.

56BISON73
01-21-2022, 10:13 PM
2 letters

F B S

15 yards in the FCS is also 15 yards in the FBS.

CAS4127
01-22-2022, 12:21 AM
15 yards in the FCS is also 15 yards in the FBS.

Indy will find a way to disagree.

TAILG8R
01-27-2022, 06:17 PM
Apparently word is he entered the portal because he was not on scholarship.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
01-27-2022, 06:56 PM

Why not offer him a scholarship then? Did we not just offer a LS a couple days ago? Granted, not sure when he says offered if it is a full offer or PWO.

TAILG8R
01-27-2022, 07:10 PM
Why not offer him a scholarship then? Did we not just offer a LS a couple days ago? Granted, not sure when he says offered if it is a full offer or PWO.

Yeah I have no idea. Kolpack and Izzo mentioned it on their podcast and essentially said they didn't know more than that and didn't understand because a) wouldn't he now get some $$ after proving himself b) do ANY long snappers get a large percentage scholarship in the FCS?

We don't know his overall situation or financial situation. Maybe he believes it's in his best interest long term to find an FBS school that is willing to sign him and have his school paid for. No idea.

StL Bison Fan
01-27-2022, 07:34 PM
Yeah I have no idea. Kolpack and Izzo mentioned it on their podcast and essentially said they didn't know more than that and didn't understand because a) wouldn't he now get some $$ after proving himself b) do ANY long snappers get a large percentage scholarship in the FCS?

We don't know his overall situation or financial situation. Maybe he believes it's in his best interest long term to find an FBS school that is willing to sign him and have his school paid for. No idea.
If he needs a scholarship and is not getting one, I can see his point. Although I’m not sure it will work out the way he wants.

tolnabison
01-27-2022, 07:35 PM
If he needs a scholarship and is not getting one, I can see his point. Although I’m not sure it will work out the way he wants.

Many of our past Long Snappers haven't been on scholarship to start. For example, James Fisher was a walk-on.

TAILG8R
01-27-2022, 07:42 PM
Just for the record I passed along what I heard from Kolpack and Izzo and then speculated on why a kid might look to move on IF he wasn't getting a scholarship.

I hold no ill will toward the kid and hope he is making the best choice for himself.

NDSU1980
01-27-2022, 08:13 PM
Well it sounds like yet another reason to go FBS. Schollies for everyone. I sure don't blame the kid.

Professor Chaos
01-27-2022, 08:19 PM
Well it sounds like yet another reason to go FBS. Schollies for everyone. I sure don't blame the kid.
I'd suspect there's a good number of longsnappers at the FBS level who aren't on scholarship either. FWIW the limit for scholarship players is 85 for both FBS and FCS. It's just at the FBS level everyone is full ride or nothing whereas at the FCS level they can split up a max of 63 scholarships for up to 85 players. So if he wasn't on a partial at an FCS NDSU it's probably pretty likely he wouldn't be on a full ride at an FBS NDSU.

NDSU1980
01-27-2022, 08:54 PM
I'd suspect there's a good number of longsnappers at the FBS level who aren't on scholarship either. FWIW the limit for scholarship players is 85 for both FBS and FCS. It's just at the FBS level everyone is full ride or nothing whereas at the FCS level they can split up a max of 63 scholarships for up to 85 players. So if he wasn't on a partial at an FCS NDSU it's probably pretty likely he wouldn't be on a full ride at an FBS NDSU.

I don't see why he wasn't on at least a partial at NDSU. He seemed like a good LS.

BisonNeil
01-29-2022, 02:50 AM

He had some scholarship money but wanted a full ride. He’s a f’ing LS! He demanded it. Sorry, he’s a f’ing LS!

56BISON73
01-29-2022, 03:25 AM
He had some scholarship money but wanted a full ride. He’s a f’ing LS! He demanded it. Sorry, he’s a f’ing LS!

Why doesnt the center do the LS? Then you dont waste your money on a specialty player.

IndyBison
01-29-2022, 04:04 AM
Why doesnt the center do the LS? Then you dont waste your money on a specialty player.Different skill. Plus you want someone to snap on punts who can get downfield because he gets a fairly clean release off the line. Unlike NFL lineman can go downfield immediately on punts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

56BISON73
01-29-2022, 12:42 PM
Different skill. Plus you want someone to snap on punts who can get downfield because he gets a fairly clean release off the line. Unlike NFL lineman can go downfield immediately on punts.

I guess we were multi skilled back in the day.:D

Rixen
01-31-2022, 03:17 PM
There was a press conference question to Belichick awhile back that he expounded on this common question (I linked below). Was kind of interesting and yeah it turns out the skillsets are different enough that it warrants a roster spot. At least to coaches that know way more than most of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrvELlakyOk

IndyBison
01-31-2022, 04:55 PM
There was a press conference question to Belichick awhile back that he expounded on this common question (I linked below). Was kind of interesting and yeah it turns out the skillsets are different enough that it warrants a roster spot. At least to coaches that know way more than most of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrvELlakyOk

The snapping part is similar but one big difference in the NFL is the line of scrimmage can't release on a punt until the ball is kicked. In NCAA they can go downfield immediately after the snap. This makes the snapper a key part of the coverage team because you can't line up on him. He gets a little cleaner release than most. This is why many college teams will have someone athletic in this role.

oldmantutters
01-31-2022, 05:18 PM
Having a center do long-snapping duties is sooooo D2.

56BISON73
01-31-2022, 08:04 PM
The snapping part is similar but one big difference in the NFL is the line of scrimmage can't release on a punt until the ball is kicked. In NCAA they can go downfield immediately after the snap. This makes the snapper a key part of the coverage team because you can't line up on him. He gets a little cleaner release than most. This is why many college teams will have someone athletic in this role.

When did they change the rule? Back in the day we also had to wait until the ball was kicked and the center wasnt protected.

IndyBison
01-31-2022, 08:23 PM
When did they change the rule? Back in the day we also had to wait until the ball was kicked and the center wasnt protected.A long time ago. I've been doing this 20 years and it's always been allowed. Before this year you could line up over the snapper but you couldn't drive into him immediately at the snap. Nope you can't line up within the frame of his body.

BattleBorn
02-04-2022, 02:16 PM
A long time ago. I've been doing this 20 years and it's always been allowed. Before this year you could line up over the snapper but you couldn't drive into him immediately at the snap. Nope you can't line up within the frame of his body.

Indy, at what point can you deliver a crushing block on the LS?

southcliffbison
02-04-2022, 03:03 PM

In high school football, NFHS rules state that the long snapper can be blocked, hit, etc. the moment after he has snapped the ball and has been given the opportunity to defend himself. Whatever time frame that entails depends on the athleticism of the long snapper.

IndyBison
02-04-2022, 03:04 PM

Once he has time to protect himself. The rule specifically says "one second" but I don't have a stop watch counting that. Some snappers think if they keep their head down (i.e. on a try or FG) they are protected throughout the play. That's not true. You are protected to complete the snap but then you better be ready to play. On tries and FGs the guy lined up on the G will shoot the A gap and get blocked into the snapper. He'll complain about getting hit so I tell him to talk to his guard. With the rule change last year I saw many teams lining up a defender a couple yards beyond the LOS to pick up the snapper. The other linemen usually stay in at least briefly to block but the snapper almost always releases immediately. Previously you could pick him up at the LOS and now he gets a little cleaner release.

StL Bison Fan
02-19-2022, 05:19 AM
To Northern Illinois University

El_Chapo
02-19-2022, 01:06 PM
FBS school near home. congrats Mike good luck