PDA

View Full Version : Who should the first I-A opponent be?

BisonNation
04-08-2005, 08:13 PM
A few thoughts on the first I-A opponent...

Minnesota: a sentimental favourite, and a possibility, seeing as how they have played I-AA Texas State-San Marcos in recent years. But would the chance of a Bison upset make it so they have too much to lose?

A MAC school? Northern Illinois isn't too far from Chicago, and there are a few NDSU alumni in that part of the Midwest.

A Sun Belt school? No real gain either way, but they might schedule NDSU hoping for an easy win...too bad for them that they won't get it.

Any other suggestions?

IowaBison
04-08-2005, 08:31 PM
No question

Iowa State

Bisondad
04-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Minnesota, Iowa State or Iowa. Northern Iowa plays either Iowa or Iowa State on a regular basis and usually plays well.

Bisondad

roadwarrior
04-08-2005, 09:36 PM
The Gophers should be the first for a number of reasons. First, there is a huge alumni base living in the Twin Cities and the short drive down I-94 will bring a lot of Bison fans from Fargo to the game in Mpls. Most important is a game played against the Gophers in the middle of Bison recruiting territory will be huge. All of the Gopher games are on TV to most of the population of Minnesota. All about exposure.

Hopefully we will schedule a game before the Gophers move out of the Metrodome. With their problems of selling ticket at the dome will allow all of us Bison fans to get seats. After they move to their new stadium to be built on the U campus, getting tickets for 1000's of Bison fans will not be so easy.

Gamehunter
04-08-2005, 09:39 PM
I see nothing but a Gopher game as the first 1-A opponent. This is only common sense. It is good for both teams. Right now I don't think they are concerned about an upset at all. More like trying to help out the new guy on the block. That mentality might change by the time we play them though 8)

JBB
04-08-2005, 10:18 PM
I see the Gophers as a real possibility. They could leverage the game pretty well with our crowd and their normal crowd. I apprciate Minnesotas attitude. The policies of the NCAA make these types of games a real deal for both schools. I do hope its played in the MetroDome too. Excellent point about the tickets.
Iowa State is my second choice.

I wonder if we could work a 2 away one at home with some of the smaller DI-A teams like W¥oming or Eastern Michigan?

Gamehunter
04-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Wouldn't there new outdoor stadium be big enough?

WYOBISONMAN
04-09-2005, 12:05 AM
I have three choices.....minnesota......Minnesota.......MINNESO TA.

greenandgold01
04-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Hands down it's Minnesota. Hopefully in their new stadium.

BisonNation
04-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Speaking of the new stadium, even though it has a corporate sponsor, should some effort be made to keep "Memorial" in the name, even if it's called TPC Memorial Stadium, or TPC Field at Memorial Stadium or whatever?

TheBisonator
04-09-2005, 08:36 AM
When are the Gophers planning on building their new stadium??

roadwarrior
04-09-2005, 08:40 AM
The U of M is expecting that their new stadium might be ready for the 2008 season, at the earliest. *The MN legislature has not yet passed the funding of the state's portion, but their is a very good chance that this will happen this year.

I think its already in stone, that the name will be TCF Bank Stadium.

Capacity will be around 50,000. *Much smaller than the Metrodome, which seats 64,000+ for football.

Bison_Kent
04-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Personally, with Craig Bohl as the NDSU coach, I wouldn't mind seeing Nebraska as the opponent. It would be a greatly hyped game in Lincoln if this came about.

Gamehunter
04-09-2005, 05:54 PM
yeh but I can drive to a gopher game, Nebraska is a bit out of range. Besides all of the alumni in the twin cities area, i know for a fact the travel crowd from Fargo, including students, would be quite large.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Personally, with Craig Bohl as the NDSU coach, I wouldn't mind seeing Nebraska as the opponent. *It would be a greatly hyped game in Lincoln if this came about.

I don't think it would be a "greatly hyped game" when they have opponents like Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and others playing there most years.
It would be fun to see though. I've been to a few games down there, including Neb. Tex and they are great fun.

greenandgold01
04-11-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't think it would be a "greatly hyped game" when they have opponents like Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and others playing there most years.
It would be fun to see though. I've been to a few games down there, including Neb. Tex and they are great fun.

It would be fun for the Bison to play in front of 65k fans. They have a very good gameday environment.

BisonMav
04-11-2005, 04:17 PM
It would be fun for the Bison to play in front of 65k fans. They have a very good gameday environment.

They might even be over 75,000 for seating capacity in Lincoln. Yes it would be great to be in that stadium for a Bison game.

sambini
04-12-2005, 02:17 AM
WE CAN NOT PLAY 1A SCHOOLS YET. I BELIEVE IN 2 YEARS WE ARE TRYING TO PLAY THE GOPHERS. I AGREE IT WOULD BE GREAT TO PLAY IN LINCOLN. WITH THE TUNNEL WALKAND THE MEDIA WOULD HAVE FUN WITH COACH BOHL COMING HOME ALSO.

BisBison
04-12-2005, 02:29 AM
WE CAN NOT PLAY 1A SCHOOLS YET. I BELIEVE IN 2 YEARS WE ARE TRYING TO PLAY THE GOPHERS. I AGREE IT WOULD BE GREAT TO PLAY IN LINCOLN. WITH THE TUNNEL WALKAND THE MEDIA WOULD HAVE FUN WITH COACH BOHL COMING HOME ALSO.
We can play them it just doesn't count as a bowl eligible victory for them yet. They can schedule us if they want, they just have to make sure they get six other wins.

kchats
04-12-2005, 03:23 AM
If Gary Barta is still the AD at Wyoming and Joe Glenn is still the coach I would love to play Wyoming. Barta is a NDSU alumnus.

WYOBISONMAN
04-12-2005, 03:53 AM
I would love a Wyo game too!

JBB
04-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Good Forum article on the 12th game proposal that just passed a major hurdle. *Most of this has been anticipated but Gene Taylors comments were interesting. *He thought this would help finalize plans for a Gopher game as soon as 2007 and was also thinking outloud about the possibility of scheduling two DI-A games/yr.

Upper Divisions May Add Game (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=88681&section=Sports)

Gamehunter
04-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Wouldn't that potentially hurt our playoff chances? I know we wont win very many D1-A games... SIU is 1-19 against 1A

I would personally stick with one game per year.

greenandgold01
04-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Wouldn't that potentially hurt our playoff chances? I know we wont win very many D1-A games... SIU is 1-19 against 1A

I would personally stick with one game per year.

Maine beat Mississippi State last season.

Gamehunter
04-14-2005, 01:14 AM
I dont care who beat who last year. SIU almost pulled off an upset against Northern last year. (1 point loss) My point was that despite the fact that someday someone is going to beat a 1A, it doesn't happen every time, or very often for that matter. Out of the twenty games SIU has played against 1A they have won only one game. And this is a good program! I wouldn't expect the bison to go even close to .500 or even much better than SIU for that matter. 1A games are very good for both parties involved, but just don't count on a win.

My thought was that it could potentially hurt our playoff chances. 2 losses on the season is OK. But that means blowing the pants off most of the remaining schedule. MAYBE we could get in with ONE loss to a D1AA but why put yourself in that situation to potentially ruin your playoff chance? Once again, I don't have a problem with 1 D1A game, but 2 is pushing it once we are playoff eligble. Untill then, I say go for it. $$$$

JBB
04-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Thats a good pt X-Factor. Two might be ok in our last transitional yr. But after that 2 DI-A games might be a sign that we are more serious about DI-A football than some think.

kchats
04-14-2005, 03:58 AM
You guys have to remember that division I-AA is far different than division II. The competition is much tougher in division I-AA and most of the teams in the playoffs last year had a loss or two on their record. It isn't like division II where teams load up on regional patsies and waltz in with no losses. I also think if you fair well against division I-A schools the playoff committee would look kindly on you because of schedule strength. Division I-AA does not punish you for playing up like division II does. I'm sure there are a few lower division I-A programs that might be ripe for the picking to a quality division I-AA program.

BisBison
04-14-2005, 04:40 AM
I think they also are looking at 7 wins to get into the playoffs vs 3 losses that would eliminate you from the playoffs. Two I-A games which may result in losses still leaves you 9 (or 10) games to get your 7 wins.

Gamehunter
04-15-2005, 11:35 PM
the level of competition is much better at the D1-AA level compared to DII. What the bison did in DII doesn't happen in D1. Well, i guess nor does it happen in DII anymore for reasons why we are here. ;D (cough, cough, watered down, cough, cough, less scholarships)

I look at Cal-Poly from last year, which went 9-2. They didn't get into the playoffs. Of course, most of the teams that put them up 9 wins weren't exactly fire breathers either, but still 9 wins. Albiet, they probably should have been taken instead of Lehigh as the #16 spot, but the fact of the matter is that they were on the verge. And remember, Lehigh almost knocked off the eventual 2004 D1-AA champions in the first round.

You go out and play 2 games agains 1A schools and you come home with a load of cash and "probably" 2 losses. It all boils down to how much that money can help improve athletics at NDSU, increase awareness for the school by playing big time opponents, and prepare the team for the future. Is it worth it? Well, if you have a really good team there will be zero problems of getting into the playoffs unless 1)your conference doesn't have an autobid (ie GWFC) 2)you play patsies all season long that may include a DII school or two (or)3)You get stiffed by the selection committee. Maybe Cal-Poly was victim to a combination of all 3.

but if the team is a marginal playoff team in the first place, those 2 losses are probably going to hurt.

Bisonguy
04-15-2005, 11:58 PM
X-Factor-

Cal-Poly wasn't selected because they played two teams that counted as DII opponents last year (both NDSU and SDSU :-/). If they had the same record this year, they probably would have been easily selected.

BisBison,

The I-AA playoff criteria did change to seven DI wins.

BisBison
04-16-2005, 02:12 AM
X-Factor-

BisBison,

The I-AA playoff criteria did change to seven DI wins.
that's what I was talkin about
;D ;)

Gamehunter
04-16-2005, 02:31 AM
X-Factor-

Cal-Poly wasn't selected because they played two teams that counted as DII opponents last year (both NDSU and SDSU *:-/). If they had the same record this year, they probably would have been easily selected.

That is part of the reason. but there is more to the story than that.

Bisonguy
04-16-2005, 03:24 AM
That is part of the reason. *but there is more to the story than that.

Such as?

Tatanka
04-16-2005, 03:44 AM
The DII Playoff selection committee doesn't have a monopoly on douchebaggery.

Bisonguy
04-17-2005, 04:37 AM
This was the determining factor in Cal-Poly not being selected-

4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents;

From: http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2004/d1aa_football_handbook.pdf

Also a good reason for NDSU not to play non-DI schools after 2007.

sornball
04-20-2005, 01:09 AM
BisonNation,

There is no chance that Minnesota would be worried about losing to the Bison. *If they agreed to play the Bison it would be for a tune-up game, not a serious competition. *

JBB
04-20-2005, 01:14 AM
I hear that Bisonguy, but they had to play 2 non DI teams, *NDSU and SDSU, plus they played Humbolt State. *

Two DII schools was certainly 1 too many, and we probably owe Cal Poly a home game.

Bisondad
04-20-2005, 01:16 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that, Sornball. When my son was recruited by Northern Iowa, their head coach told us Minnesota would not schedule them because of the fear of losing to a good d-IAA team. With the draw from a neighboring state, you would think Minnesota would have naturally wanted that game. Sounds like with Maturi at AD, these things will change.

Bisondad

greenandgold01
04-20-2005, 02:43 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that, Sornball. When my son was recruited by Northern Iowa, their head coach told us Minnesota would not schedule them because of the fear of losing to a good d-IAA team. With the draw from a neighboring state, you would think Minnesota would have naturally wanted that game. Sounds like with Maturi at AD, these things will change.

Bisondad

More likely, UM simply couldn't schedule a game with UNI as they annually have games with Iowa and Iowa State.

Now that NDSU and SDSU are DI, that should give the 3 regional BCS schools a regional DIaa game.

Bisondad
04-20-2005, 03:08 AM
They've actually played (and beaten) Kansas, Oklahoma State, and they also play Iowa and Iowa State. I think the rule was 1 IAA game every 4 years(not sure on that) for a IA team. Anyway, the coach told us Minnesota was always on their list as a game they would take, but Minnesota would not agree to a game. Minnesota has definately improved over the last couple years, but not many years back a good IAA team would have given them all they could handle.

Bisondad

greenandgold01
04-20-2005, 03:25 AM
They've actually played (and beaten) Kansas, Oklahoma State, and they also play Iowa and Iowa State. I think the rule was 1 IAA game every 4 years(not sure on that) for a IA team. Anyway, the coach told us Minnesota was always on their list as a game they would take, but Minnesota would not agree to a game. Minnesota has definately improved over the last couple years, but not many years back a good IAA team would have given them all they could handle.

Bisondad

Last season Illinois State gave them all they could handle.

JBB
04-20-2005, 03:55 AM
snorball is right of course, but its still two football teams, NDSU takes the big game and the guarantee and maybe the win, UM takes everything else. Its a good game for NDSU, always has been and always will be. I would like to see a contract that would have the Gophers come to Fargo if The BISON win in the Metro Dome.

roadwarrior
04-20-2005, 04:38 AM
That is only going to happen in JBB Dreamworld.

BisBison
04-20-2005, 04:47 AM
That is only going to happen in JBB Dreamworld.
maybe so, but I like the way he thinks :D

IowaBison
04-20-2005, 02:29 PM
More likely, UM simply couldn't schedule a game with UNI as they annually have games with Iowa and Iowa State.

Now that NDSU and SDSU are DI, that should give the 3 regional BCS schools a regional DIaa game.

Pretty sure UNI would exchange a game with my Clones or the Hawkeyes for an occasional game with the U

Bryan
04-21-2005, 01:13 AM
<Last season Illinois State gave them all they could handle. >

Actually, that's not really true. Illinois St. did come out strong in the first and the score was tied at 14 in the second, but after that it was never close and never in doubt. The score was 37-14 in the third quarter and Minnesota had the ball on the 1 yard line about to make it 44-14 before Valentine fumbled on the goalline. The fourth quarter was all back ups and running out the clock. ISU added a meaningless score late. Minn. could of put up another 14 at least had they wanted to. It was not that close.

As for Northern Iowa, Terry Allen was a major reason why they weren't scheduled in the past. Recently, it is just a matter of finding dates that both schools have open. In college football, schedules are made 3-4 years in advance and it's not that easy to find common days when two teams have openings in the future. Having been a NDSU student for three years and a U of M alum with many friends in the football program, I would love to see the two schools play and believe it will happen soon.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 01:16 AM
37-21 for a middle of the pack Gateway team that didn't make the DIaa playoffs vs. a 3 time BCS bowl winning team from arguably the best conference in all of college football.

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 02:20 PM
37-21 for a middle of the pack Gateway team that didn't make the DIaa playoffs vs. a 3 time BCS bowl winning team from arguably the best conference in all of college football.

you're not referring to the Big Ten as arguably the best conference in all of college football?!

Bryan
04-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Your making too many assumptions based on the final score. It is very misleading and ISU was never in the game in the second half. It was never in doubt and Minn could of easily piled it on in the fourth quarter and made the score look much worse but chose to run the clock out. ISU had some talented players and really smacked the Gophers in the face in the first quarter but once they woke up, it wasn't close.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Your making too many assumptions based on the final score. It is very misleading and ISU was never in the game in the second half. It was never in doubt and Minn could of easily piled it on in the fourth quarter and made the score look much worse but chose to run the clock out. ISU had some talented players and really smacked the Gophers in the face in the first quarter but once they woke up, it wasn't close.

NDSU vs. Montana Tech, NDSU did the exact same thing. They had the starters out in the second half but the score was 50- 7.

Why couldn't UM's second team's pile on the score like NDSU's did?

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 03:11 PM
you're not referring to the Big Ten as arguably the best conference in all of college football?!

I would say the SEC is the best but the Big Ten did have 5-6 teams in the top 25 for most of last year. IMO it could be argued that top to bottom it the best.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 03:13 PM
The SEC has Auburn and LSU. That's it.

Maybe South Carolina will be good now with Spurrier.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 03:29 PM

Who's the 3 time BCS bowl winning team?

Oh greenandgold01...
Florida will be good this year with Meyer at the helm and Leak will be a Heisman finalist, mark my words. But you guys are forgeting about the Big 12 too.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 03:37 PM
The SEC has Auburn and LSU. That's it.

Maybe South Carolina will be good now with Spurrier.

Are you kidding me? Georgia, Florida, and Tennesse are also in the SEC.

I'm not forgetting about the big 12. Next year when Nebraska should be good again you could definitely argue for them.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm not so sure about Nebraska next year but in two years they should be back near the top. They have a pretty favorable schedule though this year that may help them make some waves but I still see them losing a few games i.e. Okl., @ Mizzou, and @ Col., maybe even their game with ISU who should be good this year.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Purdue vs. Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Tennesse, and Florida, guaranteed the Big Ten would win 3 of those games. 4 would be likely.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Who's the 3 time BCS bowl winning team?

Oh greenandgold01...
Florida will be good this year with Meyer at the helm and Leak will be a Heisman finalist, mark my words. But you guys are forgeting about the Big 12 too.

2002 they beat Arkansas
2003 they beat Oregon
2004 they beat Alabama

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm not so sure about Nebraska next year but in two years they should be back near the top. They have a pretty favorable schedule though this year that may help them make some waves but I still see them losing a few games i.e. Okl., @ Mizzou, and @ Col., maybe even their game with ISU who should be good this year.

No doubt they will more than likely lose a couple games but with their recruiting class it looks like they are back on track. (I'm not a Nebraska fan)

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 04:06 PM
2002 they beat Arkansas
2003 they beat Oregon
2004 they beat Alabama

Those aren't bcs bowl games. BCS bowls are the sugar, orange, fiesta, and rose.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Purdue vs. Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Tennesse, and Florida, guaranteed the Big Ten would win 3 of those games. 4 would be likely.

I'm a big ten fan and I have a lot of trouble agreeing with that based on last years teams.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 04:14 PM
2002 they beat Arkansas
2003 they beat Oregon
2004 they beat Alabama

Didn't know that the BCS included the Sun Bowl and the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl now? Hmmm...I must have missed that announcement.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 04:16 PM

I hope you are kidding.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Didn't know that the BCS included the Sun Bowl and the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl now? Hmmm...I must have missed that announcement.

You see that on espn? The Music City bowl is the NC game for 2007...lol

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 04:20 PM
I heard the Humanitarian Bowl in Idaho is the host for the Super Bowl in 2007 is that true? ;D

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I hope you are kidding.

Come on. It could happen, based on the final AP poll:

#8 Iowa vs #2 Auburn
#12 Mich vs #6 Georgia
#18 Wisconson vs #15 Tenn
#19 Ohio St vs #16 LSU
unranked Purdue vs #25 Florida

Shuffle the games however you want to.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I heard the Humanitarian Bowl in Idaho is the host for the Super Bowl in 2007 is that true? ;D

I hadn't heard that yet. Is it going to be played on the blue turf?
I'm not sure a superbowl in Detroit makes much more sense.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I hadn't heard that yet. *Is it going to be played on the blue turf?
I'm not sure a superbowl in Detroit makes much more sense.

Actually having it in Detroit does make geographical sense if you look at it as greeenandgold01 would, because I'm sure he thinks there will be two Big 10 schools playing in the Super Bowl that year! ;D

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 04:56 PM

based on what? wishful thinking?

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 05:30 PM
based on what? wishful thinking?

The fact that northern football is better than southern football.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 05:34 PM

;D ;D ;D I guess this should just be filed with the rest of your posts on DI football under: "HAVE NO IDEA, JUST MAKING AN UNEDUCATED GUESS"

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 05:35 PM

All the bowls are BCS bowls.

Maybe you were thinking it was just the 4 big ones.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 05:36 PM
;D ;D ;D I guess this should just be filed with the rest of your posts on DI football under: "HAVE NO IDEA, JUST MAKING AN UNEDUCATED GUESS"

Ohio State vs. Miami
Nebraska vs. Florida

etc.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 05:38 PM

What are you talking about??? You obviously have no clue!

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 05:39 PM

That is a FACT? First time I've heard that one.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Ohio State vs. Miami
Nebraska vs. Florida

etc.

What ??? * I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about! *You just picked out two NC games, one from '97 and the other from three years ago! *What does that prove?

I just had to come back to this one because this has to be the stupidest post I have ever read! Everyone is now dumber for having read your post.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 05:40 PM

Go to the BCS bowl schedule....You won't find the Music City bowl listed.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 05:59 PM
If you want to define the BCS bowls as only the sugar, orange, fiesta, and rose bowls, then no, it won't be there.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 06:00 PM
What ??? I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about! You just picked out two NC games, one from '97 and the other from three years ago! What does that prove?

I just had to come back to this one because this has to be the stupidest post I have ever read! Everyone is now dumber for having read your post.

Haha, why are you getting so worked up?

Isn't it obvious that I'm not serious? Jeez.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 06:06 PM
If you want to define the BCS bowls as only the sugar, orange, fiesta, and rose bowls, then no, it won't be there.

We don't define it as that, the BCS does:

"The BCS, which runs through the 2005 regular season and 2006 bowl season, consists of the Rose Bowl, Nokia Sugar Bowl, FedEx Orange Bowl and the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl."

Find it here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/abcStory?page=aboutbcs

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 06:07 PM

I didn't define it that way...It is a fact.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/index.cfm?page=about

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 06:07 PM

No, but it is painfully obvious that you don't know much about DI football.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 06:08 PM

Nice way to back yourself out of that one. ;)

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 06:38 PM
No, but it is painfully obvious that you don't know much about DI football.

DIa football is overrated.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 07:07 PM
DIa football is overrated.

If that's your opinion, then you should quit posting about DIa football because you have proven that you know nothing about it.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 08:44 PM
If that's your opinion, then you should quit posting about DIa football because you have proven that you know nothing about it.

You should quit pretending like you're the gatekeeper of some ethical high ground.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 08:51 PM
You should quit pretending like you're the gatekeeper of some ethical high ground.

Sounds like someone is angry about getting proved wrong. Just because I don't write posts that I can't back up, don't get mad at me.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 09:33 PM

You should quit pretending like you know something about college football.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Sounds like someone is angry about getting proved wrong. Just because I don't write posts that I can't back up, don't get mad at me.

Just make sure you wipe the dirt off your knees.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Just make sure you wipe the dirt off your knees.

Not sure what you mean by that but thanks for the advice. I'll store that one in my memory right next to the fact the north football is better than south football and all bowls are bcs bowls.

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Not sure what you mean by that but thanks for the advice. I'll store that one in my memory right next to the fact the north football is better than south football and all bowls are bcs bowls.

I was wrong about the bcs bowls, but the north south thing is pretty much true.

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 10:05 PM
north being better than the south?

where does the south start?

The Big Ten is over rated.

There, I said it.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 10:09 PM

Pretty much just your opinion you mean? I have never before heard how good a football team is is dependant on it's geographical location.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 10:09 PM
South must be South America? Doesn't make much sense to anyone, I wouldn't worry about trying to decipher greenandgold01's posts about football as they are very uneducated!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Ohio State vs. Miami
Nebraska vs. Florida

etc.

Too refresh your memories guys, here is why the North is better then the South ;D ;D ;D

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 10:13 PM
South must be South America? Doesn't make much sense to anyone, I wouldn't worry about trying to decipher greenandgold01's posts about football as they are very uneducated!

If the south is south america then we are talking about another type of football. It is played with a round, white and black ball.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 10:15 PM
If the south is south america then we are talking about another type of football. *It is played with a round, white and black ball. *

Are those games played in a BCS bowl?

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Too refresh your memories guys, here is why the North is better then the South ;D ;D ;D

No wonder the Bison had such a tough time with UND the past couple meetings....GF is north of Fargo. ;D ;D

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 10:20 PM

now that's f'n funny!

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 10:21 PM

lol, I don't know much about that type of fb but i believe they play in cups and not bowls. I am not sure if there is a CCS (Cup Championship Series).

greenandgold01
04-21-2005, 10:22 PM
In the 2005 bowls, Ohio State beat Oklahoma State, Iowa beat LSU, and Minnesota beat Alabama while Georgia beat Wisconsin and Texas beat Michigan.

In the above 2 games the big ten lost, the average amount they lost by was 2 points.

The Big Ten is easily the best conference in the nation which proves the north has the best football.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Is the Big 12 north considered north football or south football. I'm confused because the big 12 north sucks and the big 12 south is really good. ;D

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 10:29 PM
In the 2005 bowls, Ohio State beat Oklahoma State, Iowa beat LSU, and Minnesota beat Alabama while Georgia beat Wisconsin and Texas beat Michigan.

In the above 2 games the big ten lost, the average amount they lost by was 2 points.

The Big Ten is easily the best conference in the nation which proves the north has the best football.

A couple of things, how can you say the Big 10 is easily the best conference in the nation? Because they won 3 bowl games? Second of all, how does that prove that the north has better football then the south?

Honestly, I actually feel dumber right now after reading the garbage that you have posted on this thread.

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Is the Big 12 north considered north football or south football. *I'm confused because the big 12 north sucks and the big 12 south is really good. * ;D

piss off! :)

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 10:31 PM

OKST and Alabama weren't even ranked....Iowa won on a last second hail mary. I think the fb teams in florida also would have a say in this.

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 10:32 PM

so how does playing the Youngstown State Penguins sound....

it could be the best of both worlds!!!!!

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 10:34 PM
piss off! :)

haha, sorry. Nebraska forgot to show up last year and Mizzou and kstate were probably the biggest disappointments in college football. I don't know how they will look next year but Nebraska should be improved.

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 10:39 PM
that's okay, i deal with comments like that every day being a cyclones fan

A team who, without reservation, who have beaten the Hawkeyes if they would have had a mediocre kicker....

seriously....

look it up...

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-21-2005, 10:39 PM
I'll make this pretty simple for you greenandgold01. Last years final BCS* standings. Though they may not be perfect they are a pretty good indication on what the country thinks of these teams.

1 USC
2 Oklahoma
3 Auburn
4 Texas
5 California
6 Utah
7 Georgia
8 Virginia Tech
9 Boise State (NORTH)
10 Louisville
11 LSU
12 Iowa (NORTH)
13 Michigan (NORTH)
14 Miami
15 Tennessee
16 Florida State
17 Wisconsin (NORTH)
18 Virginia (Ah hell I'll give you them too)
19 Arizona State
20 Texas A&M
21 Pittsburgh (NORTH)
22 Texas Tech
23 Florida
24 Oklahoma State
25 Ohio State (NORTH)

*BCS stands for Bowl Championship Series which includes the Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, and according to greenandgold01 the Sun Bowl and Music City Bowl also. Sources tell me the BCS is also considering bringing back the SnowBowl in the FargoDome and including that.

jjbluecw
04-21-2005, 10:46 PM
that's okay, i deal with comments like that every day being a cyclones fan

A team who, without reservation, who have beaten the Hawkeyes if they would have had a mediocre kicker....

seriously....

look it up...

I don't think I watched any cyclone games. There was no need to after the excitement of seneca wallace was gone.

IowaBison
04-21-2005, 10:49 PM
I'll make this pretty simple for you greenandgold01. *Last years final BCS* standings. *Though they may not be perfect they are a pretty good indication on what the country thinks of these teams.

1 USC * *
2 Oklahoma *
3 Auburn *
4 Texas *
5 California *
6 Utah
7 Georgia *
8 Virginia Tech *
9 Boise State * * *(NORTH) *
10 Louisville
11 LSU *
12 Iowa * * * * * * *(NORTH)
13 Michigan * * * *(NORTH)
14 Miami *
15 Tennessee *
16 Florida State
17 Wisconsin * * *(NORTH)
18 Virginia * * * * *(Ah hell I'll give you them too)
19 Arizona State *
20 Texas A&M *
21 Pittsburgh * * (NORTH)
22 Texas Tech *
23 Florida *
24 Oklahoma State *
25 Ohio State * *(NORTH)

*BCS stands for Bowl Championship Series which includes the Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, and according to greenandgold01 the Sun Bowl and Music City Bowl also. *Sources tell me the BCS is also considering bringing back the SnowBowl in the FargoDome and including that.

No, no, no!

USC, California are also part of the North

I would also think that Louisville and Tennessee are Border States

and that many of the remaining schools are in 'Territories' which don't really count as either, but could be part of the South if they want, not that they have that many people

there's a map at this site that would work well to decide where the schools belong:

http://www.learner.org/biographyofamerica/prog10/maps/

This discussion also brings up a similar geographic question that I don't think we've discussed before:

Do you guys think that North Dakota is in the East or West?

BisonBizzo
04-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Not to mention Virginia Tech on the border and absolutely Utah, Salt Lake City is farther North than some big ten schools. *but I would rather stay out of this silly little argument. *

I feel North Dakota could be identified as east or west... *I like to feel the state as a whole is more west, to give it more of that roughrider western identity, but Fargo just seems on the west side of the so called mid-west, which would connect it east.

TheBisonator
04-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Didn't we argue about this with 1234 for a long time a while ago??

He said that North Dakota was in the eastern part of the US. :P :P :P

JBB
04-22-2005, 01:16 AM
When I was finding all the oil out in the western part of the state that you guys are now burning in your cars we always refered to the east coast as back east 1 and Fargo as back east 2 and when you were going to town that meant you were headed to Denver. *

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-22-2005, 03:22 PM
No, no, no!

USC, California are also part of the North

I would also think that Louisville and Tennessee are Border States

and that many of the remaining schools are in 'Territories' which don't really count as either, but could be part of the South if they want, not that they have that many people

there's a map at this site that would work well to decide where the schools belong:

http://www.learner.org/biographyofamerica/prog10/maps/

This discussion also brings up a similar geographic question that I don't think we've discussed before:

Do you guys think that North Dakota is in the East or West?

Slice it and dice it any way you want, put Tenn. up north too, it doesn't matter Southern football is better then Northern football.

Gamehunter
04-22-2005, 06:23 PM
more population=more chance for talent

I would say the South has ALOT more people than the northern states.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-22-2005, 06:33 PM
more population=more chance for talent

I would say the South has ALOT more people than the northern states.

I wouldn't say "A LOT" more. http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/atlas/censr01-103.pdf
Plus that's not even part of the argument.

bisondad
04-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Slice it and dice it any way you want, put Tenn. up north too, it doesn't matter Southern football is better then Northern football.

Interesting subject. I have a friend that coached for Minnesota, then went to UCLA and is now at Auburn. We have had this discussion and he thinks that just the huge size of big 10 players would wear down most non big ten teams by seasons end. he said that there is just no end to the huge players, week in and week out. Probably why many big 10 teams schedule a weaker non conference schedule. Look at Penn State. Is it just Paterno or are they showing the signs of playing in a very physical conference? I guess we'll never know for sure.

Bisondad

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-22-2005, 07:46 PM

Interesting subject. *I have a friend that coached for Minnesota, then went to UCLA and is now at Auburn. *We have had this discussion and he thinks that just the huge size of big 10 players would wear down most non big ten teams by seasons end. *he said that there is just no end to the huge players, week in and week out. *Probably why many big 10 teams schedule a weaker non conference schedule. *Look at Penn State. *Is it just Paterno or are they showing the signs of playing in a very physical conference? *I guess we'll never know for sure.

Bisondad

It is tough to look at it because, yes the Big10 has big guy after bug guy but the speed and athleticism of the south is greater then the North. *But I just don't think that a middle of the pack team like Minn. would have any shot at winning *the SEC, while they do in the Big10 JMO

bisondad
04-22-2005, 07:50 PM
My friend agrees with you on the speed part, both in the Pac 10 and the sec. I doubt Minnesota could win there, either. I do think to run the table in the big 10 is in most years a very difficult task. I think it may be easier to do in most other conferences. It would be fun to see a Florida or Florida State or some other southern powerhouse have to play a big 10 schedule. Again, I guess we'll never know.

Bisondad

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-22-2005, 08:01 PM
My friend agrees with you on the speed part, both in the Pac 10 and the sec. *I doubt Minnesota could win there, either. *I do think to run the table in the big 10 is in most years a very difficult task. *I think it may be easier to do in most other conferences. *It would be fun to see a Florida or Florida State or some other southern powerhouse have to play a big 10 schedule. *Again, I guess we'll never know.

Bisondad

Sure we can, the beauty of Playstation 2 ;D

jjbluecw
04-22-2005, 09:10 PM

Interesting subject. I have a friend that coached for Minnesota, then went to UCLA and is now at Auburn. We have had this discussion and he thinks that just the huge size of big 10 players would wear down most non big ten teams by seasons end. he said that there is just no end to the huge players, week in and week out. Probably why many big 10 teams schedule a weaker non conference schedule. Look at Penn State. Is it just Paterno or are they showing the signs of playing in a very physical conference? I guess we'll never know for sure.

Bisondad

I'm far from an expert but I would take speed and athleticsm every time over sheer size. USC is a prime example. As far as Penn State downfall, they just aren't recruiting like they used to. Mich and other schools are pulling the talent away from Paterno. I think Chad Henne is from Pennsylvania for example.

greenandgold01
04-22-2005, 11:40 PM
The thing is, the Big 10 simply takes away the south's best players. They recruit them up there because even top high school players know that if you want to play in the NFL, you go to a Big 10 program no questions.

BISON_PRIDE
04-23-2005, 12:55 AM
All things being equal, such as scholarships, haven't the Bison traditionally defeated the small but athletic schools from the South?

greenandgold01
04-23-2005, 01:50 AM
All things being equal, such as scholarships, haven't the Bison traditionally defeated the small but athletic schools from the South?

NDSU 49 Carson 19

Carson, the supposed ultra athletic 3-4/option team was going to run around our tacklers and blockers with blazing speed and athleticism.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

kchats
04-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Carson Newman had division II speed. NDSU now have division I speed. There is a difference there. Coach Bohl has been pounding that home since he got there. To be competitive in division I-AA you need better speed and athleticism. Of course he has the northern component of football as well in the team is very physical. Football can be like boxing in the physical teams can wear the athletic teams down but if you have fast and physical teams like USC and Oklahoma that negates your physical advantage.

Bisonguy
04-23-2005, 04:07 AM
North, South, East, West, it doesn't matter.

The team that has more talent, better coaching, plays more as a team, and executes better will win the game.

Ultimately, the team that scores more points will win the game. ;D

This discussion reminds me of what the "experts", especially everybody's favorite college football sports analyst Trev Alberts, were saying about the 2002 Fiesta Bowl. They were all yapping about how Miami had more speed and athleticism than The Ohio State University. Trev even stated that The Ohio State University would be lucky if they could stay within three scores of Miami, because Miami was just too fast and too good for The Ohio State University to keep up. Well, the Mighty Buckeyes showed the "experts" why they actually play the game. ;D ;D ;D

kchats
04-23-2005, 04:17 AM
I would like to see the Bison schedule Army, Navy or Air Force. Gene Taylor came from Navy as an assistant AD I believe. I think it would be a great experience for the Bison to play them since they have such great traditions on game day.

jjbluecw
04-23-2005, 07:27 AM
The thing is, the Big 10 simply takes away the south's best players. They recruit them up there because even top high school players know that if you want to play in the NFL, you go to a Big 10 program no questions.

like who? I follow the big ten very closely and I certainly can't name one impact college player from the south in the big ten right now.

It's unreal how miami has put more first rd picks out than any other school when the big 10 takes their top high school players....

jjbluecw
04-23-2005, 08:05 AM
North, South, East, West, it doesn't matter.

The team that has more talent, better coaching, plays more as a team, and executes better will win the game.

Ultimately, the team that scores more points will win the game. ;D

This discussion reminds me of what the "experts", especially everybody's favorite college football sports analyst Trev Alberts, were saying about the 2002 Fiesta Bowl. They were all yapping about how Miami had more speed and athleticism than The Ohio State University. Trev even stated that The Ohio State University would be lucky if they could stay within three scores of Miami, because Miami was just too fast and too good for The Ohio State University to keep up. Well, the Mighty Buckeyes showed the "experts" why they actually play the game. ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, Yeah, that was one game three years ago. I'm as big a fan of the big ten as anyone but the arguement was the big ten vs sec and the southern teams this year....Anyone who turnes on espn on a sat last fall knows there isn't much of an arguement to be had.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-25-2005, 03:44 PM

G&G01 continues to prove how dumb he is when it comes to big time college football! I think his wife may have switched his beer with terpentine last fall!

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 03:59 PM
G&G01 continues to prove how dumb he is when it comes to big time college football! I think his wife may have switched his beer with terpentine last fall!

Yeah, I did some research on rivals. I looked at the rivals top 100 high school recruits from the past four years. I figured about half of those 400 recruits were from the "south" if not more. So out of around the last 200 top high school recruits from the south exactly ZERO went to northern schools.

greenandgold01
04-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I did some research on rivals. I looked at the rivals top 100 high school recruits from the past four years. I figured about half of those 400 recruits were from the "south" if not more. So out of around the last 200 top high school recruits from the south exactly ZERO went to northern schools.

Randy Moss.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Randy Moss.

HAHAHA You continue to amaze me G&G01. You bring up one guy from what, 10 years ago who was from WV. Marshall is an hour from where he grew up, wouldn't exactly call that stealing a southern player. He originally signed with Notre Dame, then went to FSU but was in trouble so he went back to Marshall.

I'm not going to argue that Northern school sign some players from the South, but countless more times players from the North head down South to play.

As for G&G01's argument about high school players going to the Big10 because they will have a better shot at the NFL, I would argue that point but I don't think it is neccesary.

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Randy Moss.

Well please forgive me. You were right.

You gave me one player from about 10 years ago that never even played in the big ten.

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 04:32 PM
As for G&G01's argument about high school players going to the Big10 because they will have a better shot at the NFL, I would argue that point but I don't think it is neccesary.

Not that this proves anything but 10 of the first 32 players drafted were from the SEC. Not including all the other players for the other "south" schools.

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
HAHAHA....I didn't know Moss was from WV. If that is considered south then yeah I agree South football IS better than north football because north must mean Canada.

IowaBison
04-25-2005, 04:44 PM
HAHAHA....I didn't know Moss was from WV. *If that is considered south then yeah I agree South football IS better than north football because north must mean Canada.

never been to west virginia, huh jjbluecw?

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 04:51 PM
never been to west virginia, huh jjbluecw?

Nope...sorry, just virginia. Why??

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
HAHAHA....I didn't know Moss was from WV. *If that is considered south then yeah I agree South football IS better than north football because north must mean Canada.

A guy who punted for the Sioux when I was a freshman was from WV and he showed me a tape of his high school basketball tourney. They were playing Moss' team and Moss' teammate was Jason Williams (of the Memphis Grizzlies) Those two were unreal, J-Will gave Moss a behind the back alley-oop at one point and I couldn't believe that this was high school hoops I was watching. Pretty cool video though.

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
A guy who punted for the Sioux when I was a freshman was from WV and he showed me a tape of his high school basketball tourney. They were playing Moss' team and Moss' teammate was Jason Williams (of the Memphis Grizzlies) Those two were unreal, J-Will gave Moss a behind the back alley-oop at one point and I couldn't believe that this was high school hoops I was watching. Pretty cool video though.

Yeah, there was a cool commercial (nike?) a few years back with those two. It had video from their high school days together.

But I'm starting to get confused about our arguement. So Moss from WV (considered by gandg as the south) plays for a school in WV(which he considered north?) i guess?? Does this mean that players recruited by ohio st buckeyes in the state of ohio are also "southern"?

IowaBison
04-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah, there was a cool commercial (nike?) a few years back with those two. *It had video from their high school days together.

But I'm starting to get confused about our arguement. *So Moss from WV (considered by gandg as the south) plays for a school in WV(which he considered north?) i guess?? *Does this mean that players recruited by ohio st buckeyes in the state of ohio are also *"southern"?

if they're from Cincinnati, then in my book yes

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 05:28 PM

OK, if recruiting players from your same state means they are signing players from the south. Then I guess they do sign a lot of players from the south.

I didn't know columbus oh was close to the borderline "south". The buckeye players would probably laugh if they heard that.

IowaBison
04-25-2005, 05:42 PM
OK, if recruiting players from your same state means they are signing players from the south. *Then I guess they do sign a lot of players from the south. *

I didn't know columbus oh was close to the borderline "south". *The buckeye players would probably laugh if they heard that.

and I bet many of the kids from Toledo, Youngstown, and Cleveland would agree

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Hold on now, WV and Va are North so Ohio would be extreme North.

I think it is pretty simple to see that Southern football is better, there are more teams there and better players. *I think we would have to break it down by conference. *Say the Big 10, Big East, and Big 12 North *vs the Big 12 South, the SEC and the ACC. *(Leaving the West alone as they are their own area.) * Looking at these match-ups, it's a no-brainer where the better football is. *

I'll pull a page out of GandG01's book and say:
Miami, FSU, Fla, Georgia, Auburn, Okl, Tex * *vs. *Mich, OSU, Neb, Col, Wisco, Iowa, and (add good Northern team here). * *You could add the G.B. Packers and the South still looks stronger.

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
and I bet many of the kids from Toledo, Youngstown, and Cleveland would agree

I wouldn't doubt that at all but if Ohio St signs a player from cinci I bet they don't consider that signing a kid from the south...they expect to sign those kids.

I wish big ten schools could recruit more players from southern states because I am a huge Mich fan. It's just very rare, because most warm weather kids want to play somewhere warm. They don't need to come to the big ten be more visible to the nfl like g&g01 claims cause there are plenty of big time programs close by.

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Hold on now, WV and Va are North so Ohio would be extreme North.

I think it is pretty simple to see that Southern football is better, there are more teams there and better players. I think we would have to break it down by conference. Say the Big 10, Big East, and Big 12 North vs the Big 12 South, the SEC and the ACC. (Leaving the West alone as they are their own area.) Looking at these match-ups, it's a no-brainer where the better football is.

I'll pull a page out of GandG01's book and say:
Miami, FSU, Fla, Georgia, Auburn, Okl, Tex vs. Mich, OSU, Neb, Col, Wisco, Iowa, and (add good Northern team here). You could add the G.B. Packers and the South still looks stronger.

I agree, break it down by conf. Marshall is in the MAC so why say WV is considered south.

I don't know about the matchups though anymore. Most of Auburns team is now in the NFL.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-25-2005, 06:37 PM
I agree, break it down by conf. *Marshall is in the MAC so why say WV is considered south.

I don't know about the matchups though anymore. *Most of Auburns team is now in the NFL.

Yeah, but like every other SEC school they will just re-fill with other great players from the South, and maybe steal a couple from the North ;D

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah, but like every other SEC school they will just re-fill with other great players from the South, and maybe steal a couple from the North ;D

I don't know about that. I've heard all the good high school players are now going to play in the big ten so they are visible to the nfl. You know like Randy Moss.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I don't know about that. *I've heard all the good high school players are now going to play in the big ten so they are visible to the nfl. *You know like Randy Moss.

Well, on the other hand, it must have helped Clarett some how. *what a joke taking him in the 3rd round. *I usually don't wish harm upon another human, but I hope he breaks his hip and never makes a dime, then has to try go back to school somewhere and realize that he could have gotten a world class education, but instead took a long ride on a Greyhound bus! What a moron!

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Well, on the other hand, it must have helped Clarett some how. what a joke taking him in the 3rd round. I usually don't wish harm upon another human, but I hope he breaks his hip and never makes a dime, then has to try go back to school somewhere and realize that he could have gotten a world class education, but instead took a long ride on a Greyhound bus! What a moron!

I hate Ohio st and I hate the Denver Broncos so I'm glad they took him. Now Ron Dayne will have someone to challenge him while running wind sprints. They cut Reuben Droughs who rushed for over 1000 yds and added Dayne and Clarett who added together had 0 carries last year...Brilliant!!!!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-25-2005, 07:38 PM
I hate Ohio st and I hate the Denver Broncos so I'm glad they took him. *Now Ron Dayne will have someone to challenge him while running wind sprints. *They cut Reuben Droughs who rushed for over 1000 yds and added Dayne and Clarett who added together had 0 carries last year...Brilliant!!!!

Maybe greenandgold01 works for the Denver organization?

Bisonguy
04-25-2005, 09:28 PM

::) ::) ::) ::)

Cincinnati is a northern city. Covington, KY is a southern town.

greenandgold01
04-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Moss is from Virginia, a southern state, and went to play ball in W Virginia, a northern state.

Didn't you ever read about the civil war?

jjbluecw
04-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Moss is from Virginia, a southern state, and went to play ball in W Virginia, a northern state.

Didn't you ever read about the civil war?

Moss is from Rand, WV. but whatever

kchats
04-26-2005, 04:05 AM
What does any of this have anything to do with NDSU's first division I-A opponent? ???

Paulie
04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
I hate Ohio st and I hate the Denver Broncos so I'm glad they took him. *Now Ron Dayne will have someone to challenge him while running wind sprints. *They cut Reuben Droughs who rushed for over 1000 yds and added Dayne and Clarett who added together had 0 carries last year...Brilliant!!!!

Droughns was not cut, he was traded to Cleveland for a couple D-Linemen.

jjbluecw
04-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Droughns was not cut, he was traded to Cleveland for a couple D-Linemen.

Yeah my bad. I guess I forgot. I think I would rather have just cut him than have the browns d-line from last year.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Yeah my bad. *I guess I forgot. *I think I would rather have just cut him than have the browns d-line from last year.

Well, maybe some would consider Denver a southern city, then you would be getting some Northern players that would obviously dominate the Southern players ;D

jjbluecw
04-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Well, maybe some would consider Denver a southern city, then you would be getting some Northern players that would obviously dominate the Southern players ;D

Ah yes, why didn't I think of that. lol

I guess Denver wasn't mentioned much in my civil war readings.

greenandgold01
04-27-2005, 01:07 AM

I've said nothing about northern players dominating southern players.

Just that northern teams are better than southern teams.

wsuwarrior
04-27-2005, 09:02 AM
What does any of this have anything to do with NDSU's first division I-A opponent? ???

I was kinda wondering that too.

Anyway, here's by thoughts on the original topic:

1) Minnesota Golden Gophers - As a Gopher supporter I am not happy with the continued scheduling of D-IAA teams. It's part of the reason tOSU and M*chigan fans pick on us for the non-conference schedule. I do wish it would be a more compeditive non-conference schedule (Iowa State would be nice to see on the schedule more often, and Cal over the next few years is good too). But as long as the Gophers are going to schedule D-IAAs, NDSU is the way to go. You're close, you'll bring a ton of fans, and you can trade anti-UND commentary with the Gopher fans. Who knows the dome might actually be filled for a non Iowa or Wisconsin game. And long with earlier comments, it would be very hard to find tickets once the Gophers move into TCF Bank Stadium, so playing before the 2008 season is the way to go.

2) Nebraska - Yes, it's certainly a drive from Fargo, but Nebraska is a major name in college football (despite recent issues). Cornhusker Football gets attention, and there is nothing wrong with piggybacking off that.

Then I'm not sure after that. ISU is possible, but having a 12th game would help this to happen. NIU isn't a major conference team, but they are D-IA and gather at least some attention the the Chicago market.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-27-2005, 03:20 PM
I've said nothing about northern players dominating southern players.

Just that northern teams are better than southern teams.

Oh yeah that's right, that's why all the Southern kids come up to play for Northern teams, for NFL exposure, I forgot! My bad.

I heard Bobby Bowden wants to try his hand at the NFL so he is looking into grabbing a coaching position in the Big East to get his looks ;D

WYOBISONMAN
04-27-2005, 04:13 PM
WSUwarrior............I agree......except for selfish reasons I want to see the Bison make the trip to Laramie too...

Bisonguy
04-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Nice feature on the 12 game DI football season proposal on WDAY tonight. Gene Taylor and Joe Maturi (?- AD of Minnesota) were both on. Prime Time Sports will feature the complete interview with Joe by Steve Hallstrom.

Anyhow, Gene stated that NDSU will be looking for a I-A in 2007, as Bohl thinks that 2006 is too early. Joe stated if the legislation passes, Minnesota will be looking for a yearly game against a regional I-AA opponent.

DIBISON
04-29-2005, 12:53 AM
The NCAA just passed the 12 game proposal for DI football programs beginning in 2006. However, DIAA did not change and remains at 11 games. This is great news for the Bison and I can't wait for a Gopher game in the Metrodome!

Bisonguy
04-29-2005, 12:58 AM
The NCAA just passed the 12 game proposal for DI football programs beginning in 2006. *However, DIAA did not change and remains at 11 games. *This is great news for the Bison and I can't wait for a Gopher game in the Metrodome!

Even better is that a I-A can count one win against a I-AA every year for bowl eligilty, beginning in 2005.

Link- Board of Directors adopts 12-game proposal for I-A (http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/association_news/association_updates/2005/april/0428_12thgame.html)

Hello, Gophers in 2007! (or Cyclones, or Cornhuskers, or
Cowboys, or........)

greenandgold01
04-29-2005, 01:51 AM
I'd say this more or less guarantees a 2007 gopher game.

It's just too bad that we won't be the first to play them in their new stadium.

That will likely be SDSU, UNI, or whatever DIaa school they get in 2008.

Bisonguy
04-29-2005, 02:48 AM
Why not play them in 2007 and 2008? ???

Gamehunter
04-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Why not play them EVERY year?

sambini
04-29-2005, 05:59 AM
WHY NOT PLAY JOE GLENN AND WYOMING COWBOYS. THAT WOULD BE GREAT AND WE HAVE A IN WITH GARY BARTA FORMER BISON AS THEIR AD. I KNOW HE IS INTERESTED?

Bisonguy
04-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Gene mentioned on WDAY that maybe next year Wyoming or Ball State could be on the schedule if Bohl wants it. 2007 will be the first year to try to land a bigger I-A opponent.

Bisonguy
04-29-2005, 06:16 AM
The Forum's on top of it-

Bison eye date with Gophers
(http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=90196&section=Sports)

Swaghook
04-29-2005, 12:29 PM

(http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddbal939.jpg)

Better check your link.

Gamehunter
04-29-2005, 06:56 PM
I like those eyes. Not much resemblance to a bison though.

somebison
04-29-2005, 07:20 PM

(http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddbal939.jpg)

looks like somebody was getting their AGS links confused with their bisonville links...

nice fish though :)

Bisonguy
04-29-2005, 07:25 PM
ROFLMAO ;D

Whoops, above link is corrected. :-[

kchats
04-29-2005, 11:00 PM
I think Wyoming would be a great first game.

I do think a game with Gene Taylor's former employer, Navy, would be great as well.

Another great game would be with Ohio University, where Frank Solich now coaches and the former offensive and defensive coordinators for the Bison are also employed.

WYOBISONMAN
04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
WYO would be a DIA opponent that NDSU would have a very reasonable chance of notching a WIN against!

greenandgold01
04-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Wyo in 2006?

I think that Gene wants it, it will just be up to Bohl.

SDbison
05-01-2005, 12:00 AM
My wish list for DI-A games......hope Minnesota is first since they are close and 10,000 Bison fans would be there. After that Wyoming would be a good game. Does anyone know if Taylor or Bohl are talking with Wyoming? My next choice would be Iowa State since they are fairly close. Some other DI-A opponents to think about would be Troy State with the past DII playoff experience and Arizona state since I know there are a bunch of Alumni in the Phoenix area. I have been to several Arizona Cardinals games, a couple Sun Devil games and one Fiesta bowl at Sun Devil stadium. That would be an awesome experience for NDSU. When you think about it, the near home DI-A games would be fun since most of us could get to them, but the farther away games bring NDSU to places where most people don't know who we are. It's all about the exposure. Speaking of that, Taylor should look to get into an early season game against any DI-A that will be nationally televised. 8)

greenandgold01
05-01-2005, 12:23 AM
I don't think a DIa-DIaa match up will ever be national televised on any network when there are so many DIa-DIa games to choose from.

I think we should stick to the regional DIa's as well: Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State.

WYOBISONMAN
05-01-2005, 02:16 AM
Remember that WYO, CSU and Colorado would get good numbers of alumni to the game because of the proximity to Denver and a large alumni base in Denver. Phoenix also has a very good alumni base and I think that ASU would be reasonable too. I do think ASU and CU would be long shots as they would have no compelling reason to schedule the Bison.

roadwarrior
05-01-2005, 03:41 AM
Kansas State might be in the mix also. We scheduled them for 3 years in men's basketball. And we bought their basketball floor!

greenandgold01
05-01-2005, 03:49 AM
And we bought their basketball floor!

Haha!

That alone is a guaranteed game, damnit!

jjbluecw
05-01-2005, 03:55 AM
My wish list for DI-A games......hope Minnesota is first since they are close and 10,000 Bison fans would be there. After that Wyoming would be a good game. Does anyone know if Taylor or Bohl are talking with Wyoming? My next choice would be Iowa State since they are fairly close. Some other DI-A opponents to think about would be Troy State with the past DII playoff experience and Arizona state since I know there are a bunch of Alumni in the Phoenix area. I have been to several Arizona Cardinals games, a couple Sun Devil games and one Fiesta bowl at Sun Devil stadium. That would be an awesome experience for NDSU. When you think about it, the near home DI-A games would be fun since most of us could get to them, but the farther away games bring NDSU to places where most people don't know who we are. It's all about the exposure. Speaking of that, Taylor should look to get into an early season game against any DI-A that will be nationally televised. 8)

I also think it would be beneficial to play MAC teams (and others like Minn, Iowas St etc) as those teams are in areas we will be recruiting hard. A game with Wyoming would be great but let's face it we won't be pulling recruits from that area and I am skeptical that a game against wyoming would bring much exposure on a large scale.