PDA

View Full Version : Article on the struggle bars / restaurants are having with no Bison Football

HerdBot
09-04-2020, 02:25 AM
https://www.inforum.com/community/events/6647104-Local-businesses-juggle-public-safety-and-survival-stepping-in-to-host-tailgates-for-NDSUs-only-fall-game

Screw the Fairgrounds but please support the local businesses.

Herd and Horns is a big deal. It's one of the coolest places in town and is a big deal being by campus. Hell I think they even bring recruits there.

Try to support your favorite local places like Chubs Pub, Sammy's, Bison Turf, Tailgaters, etc

And consider all these bars and restaurants will see their capacity cut in half when the winter weather hits. (No outdoor seating)

Feel free to add your favorite area restaurant

ByeSonBusiness
09-04-2020, 02:27 AM
https://www.inforum.com/community/events/6647104-Local-businesses-juggle-public-safety-and-survival-stepping-in-to-host-tailgates-for-NDSUs-only-fall-game

Screw the Fairgrounds but please support the local businesses.

Herd and Horns is a big deal. It's one of the coolest places in town and is a big deal being by campus. Hell I think they even bring recruits there.

Try to support your favorite local places like Chubs Pub, Sammy's, Bison Turf, Tailgaters, etc

And consider all these bars and restaurants will see their capacity cut in half when the winter weather hits. (No outdoor seating)

Feel free to add your favorite area restaurant

Has Herd and Horns changed a lot? I didn't care for it when I was in town, but I assume I am in the minority there. Turf or bust.

WeAreThePride
09-04-2020, 02:31 AM
Has Herd and Horns changed a lot? I didn't care for it when I was in town, but I assume I am in the minority there. Turf or bust.

Great bar for students. Simple menu, and really cheap meal and beer options with a student ID. 2 dollar beers all day every day. 4 dollar grilled cheese. 7 dollar burger.

HerdBot
09-04-2020, 02:32 AM

I ask you this... what's the last time you've been to the Turf? If it's been a while go drop a few bucks. They looked slow this summer and they put a lot of money into that place since the fire. It's kind of non replaceable

HerdBot
09-04-2020, 02:50 AM
Next time you want a pizza, try Sammys, Spicy Pie, Duanes, or Rhombus Guys

Next time you go to the liquor store, grab a 6 pack of Fargo Brewing or a 4 pack of Drekker. They have it at most area liquor stores

Next time you want to eat out, try something different than the Olive Garden or Applebees. How about Mezzaluna or Toscana. How about Wurst Bier Hall or The Boiler Room? So many awesome places and most are probably struggling

The Ho Do shut down for a few weeks. They reopened the Hotel but the restaurant and bar is remaining closed. Not sure when it will reopen

HandoEX
09-04-2020, 04:02 AM
HerdBot, you should host a Bisonville Friday lunch at all the places around campus...one each week: Herd and Horns, Turf, Chubs, etc to help these guys out.

Toscana is closed.

heffray
09-04-2020, 01:24 PM
HerdBot, you should host a Bisonville Friday lunch at all the places around campus...one each week: Herd and Horns, Turf, Chubs, etc to help these guys out.

Toscana is closed.

Sign me up.

kab1one
09-04-2020, 01:54 PM
Great bar for students. Simple menu, and really cheap meal and beer options with a student ID. 2 dollar beers all day every day. 4 dollar grilled cheese. 7 dollar burger.

If you are asking has Herds and Horns changed a lot from its original menu? Yes. Much better menu then the original. Ownership has spent a lot of time and dollars to figure out what works next to a college. Behind the concept of cheap beer and burgers. The facility caters to a larger audience then the poor college students. You go in over lunch. College admin, professors and local business meetings are being held.

If you haven't been there in awhile, its a good place to try and worth the trip north to see what is going on the campus.

With that is mind. What is being built Northwest of the Union. Tore down the old Chem Lab building and something new is going.

Bison bison
09-04-2020, 01:59 PM
To me this is like small town shopping.

If you want these guys to be around in the long-run you need to be their customer today.

mnriverbison
09-04-2020, 02:21 PM
Still just in awe with all we know about how and where covid gets transmitted (poorly ventilated and crowded places) that packing the fargodome concourses is fine but tailgating is just too risky. Please help me take this seriously.

heffray
09-04-2020, 02:33 PM
Still just in awe with all we know about how and where covid gets transmitted (poorly ventilated and crowded places) that packing the fargodome concourses is fine but tailgating is just too risky. Please help me take this seriously.

Its all about the temptation to shotski.

HerdBot
09-04-2020, 03:34 PM
https://www.inforum.com/business/tourism/6647744-F-M-Convention-Visitors-Bureau-working-to-keep-ND-tourism-industry-afloat

123Gobison
09-04-2020, 04:38 PM
Next time you want a pizza, try Sammys, Spicy Pie, Duanes, or Rhombus Guys

Next time you go to the liquor store, grab a 6 pack of Fargo Brewing or a 4 pack of Drekker. They have it at most area liquor stores

Next time you want to eat out, try something different than the Olive Garden or Applebees. How about Mezzaluna or Toscana. How about Wurst Bier Hall or The Boiler Room? So many awesome places and most are probably struggling

The Ho Do shut down for a few weeks. They reopened the Hotel but the restaurant and bar is remaining closed. Not sure when it will reopen

During my days, Steam Cafe was an amazing place to hangout. FreeWifi, free coffee refills, amazing music everything. I seriously miss those days.

HerdBot
09-04-2020, 05:25 PM
Has anyone checked out Pixeled Brewing? Old school arcade with beer
https://www.pixeled.beer

In the same building there is an axe throwing bar. They have some tailgating games like giant Jenga, bean bag toss, pound the nail into the log, and bocce ball

What could go wrong with beer and axe throwing? Lol
https://roughcutsocial.com

Kevin
09-04-2020, 05:44 PM

In the same building there is an axe throwing bar. They have some tailgating games like giant Jenga, bean bag toss, pound the nail into the log, and bocce ball

I haven't but there's a similar place in Bismarck called CraftCade (i think?) that has the best pizza I've ever eaten.

Definitely a cool combo with the retro games.

HerdBot
09-04-2020, 06:24 PM
https://www.inforum.com/business/tourism/6646089-Marathon-Bison-football-cancellations-cost-Fargo-millions-in-visitor-spending-F-M-Convention-and-Visitors-Bureau-says

heffray
09-04-2020, 08:52 PM

Been meaning to check out Pixeled but the beer reviews aren't very good and i'm not a gamer, so...

Kevin
09-04-2020, 08:59 PM
Been meaning to check out Pixeled but the beer reviews aren't very good and i'm not a gamer, so...

What kind of beer hipster doesn't play video games?

Hammersmith
09-05-2020, 12:38 AM
If you are asking has Herds and Horns changed a lot from its original menu? Yes. Much better menu then the original. Ownership has spent a lot of time and dollars to figure out what works next to a college. Behind the concept of cheap beer and burgers. The facility caters to a larger audience then the poor college students. You go in over lunch. College admin, professors and local business meetings are being held.

If you haven't been there in awhile, its a good place to try and worth the trip north to see what is going on the campus.

With that is mind. What is being built Northwest of the Union. Tore down the old Chem Lab building and something new is going.

Dunbar Hall replacement. The old one was seriously out of date and couldn't be feasibly upgraded to modern safety standards.* Our lobby finally got it pushed through the legislature after several years of trying. All the low level chem labs are now in the new STEM building, and the new building will just have grad labs and pure research space. When finished, the old Dunbar will be torn down and parking will go in its place. Hopefully Ladd will get the same treatment down the road.

*The ceilings were too low to easily run fire suppression and isolation ventilation systems, and the whole place was made of cast concrete and masonry so it would be near impossible to cut holes for everything. With all the other deficiencies of a 50 year old building being asked to do something it wasn't designed for(high level research in a building designed for undergrad chem labs), it was better to build new.

WeAreThePride
09-05-2020, 12:51 AM
To me this is like small town shopping.

If you want these guys to be around in the long-run you need to be their customer today.

Every dollar you spend is a vote for the kind of world you want to live in.

I try to live by that.

heffray
09-05-2020, 02:29 AM
What kind of beer hipster doesn't play video games?

ExChristian ones, I suppose?

HerdBot
09-05-2020, 03:40 PM

They have domestics as well. Although Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Tron, and Rampage isnt really for gamers.

But the do have Tecmo Super Bowl on NES!

HerdBot
09-05-2020, 03:46 PM
I wish more local places used Grub Hub. I do see Herd and Horns, Mexican Village, Grand Junction, 20 Below, and Sickies.

But so many not on Grub Hub. If you want to survive the winter, you better adapt

56BISON73
09-05-2020, 06:47 PM
We stopped at Nothing Bundt Cake the other day. They were really busy. After trying some of their product I can see why. Pretty good stuff.

56BISON73
09-05-2020, 06:48 PM
I wish more local places used Grub Hub. I do see Herd and Horns, Mexican Village, Grand Junction, 20 Below, and Sickies.

But so many not on Grub Hub. If you want to survive the winter, you better adapt

They take a serious chunk of money.

GCWaters
09-05-2020, 07:29 PM

This...

https://get.chownow.com/blog/restaurant-delivery-killing-restaurants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammersmith
09-05-2020, 09:08 PM
This...

https://get.chownow.com/blog/restaurant-delivery-killing-restaurants

#!. While much of that info is probably true, it comes from a service that competes with third party delivery services. It's like trying to get honest truth from a lobbyist. Not exactly impartial.
#2. There are ways around the service fees, but it can depend on your customer base. My favorite Indian place out here is a small, family-owned shop that's on the other side of town. They basically have two menu prices for everything, in person and grubhub; the grubhub prices are between $1-$4 more depending on the original price. It means I normally call in my order and drive over to pick it up, but at least I have the option for delivery and the family isn't loosing their shirts. (They don't have one menu with both prices listed, but they have a menu on their website with the regular prices and the prices through grubhub are a couple dollars higher on average. Including the listed grubhub fees, I think it normally works out to be a 20-25% increase in the total bill if you order from grubhub - or maybe it's doordash.)

#3. If nothing else, using a service like grubhub allows customers to see your whole menu online as well as any regular customization options you offer. I don't know how common I am as a type of customer, but I will sometimes use the third party service to put together my order, then call it in to avoid the charges. It's even better for me if the restaurant has it's own online ordering system, but putting one of those together or paying a third party to handle it also costs money to the restaurant. There's a local chain of coffee shops that I'd rather patronize over Starbucks, but they've chosen not to have any kind of mobile ordering and the Starbucks app is just fantastic for that. (I just wish more Starbucks customers in the drive thru used it.) I am far, far more likely to order takeout from a restaurant if I can order online and then pick it up.

TAILG8R
09-05-2020, 09:11 PM
Also not everyone's food travels well. Early during all of this before anyone was open for dine in we supported every downtown restaurant that was delivering or you could take out. Let's just say most of their food was pretty crappy by the time I got 7 blocks home with it. They just don't make the kind of food that's meant to travel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HerdBot
09-05-2020, 10:43 PM

They do charge a lot but in these times, it's a good opportunity for these businesses to reinvent themselves and gain some new loyal customers. It is kind of marketing but your typical grub hub customer will pay more for the convenience

I get annoyed with grub hub because its mostly the national chains. Whenever I travel, I pick the obscure local places

A good example of reinventing a business. Rhombus guys now does take and bake pizzas and they are really good

56BISON73
09-05-2020, 10:48 PM
They do charge a lot but in these times, it's a good opportunity for these businesses to reinvent themselves and gain some new loyal customers. It is kind of marketing but your typical grub hub customer will pay more for the convenience

I get annoyed with grub hub because its mostly the national chains. Whenever I travel, I pick the obscure local places

A good example of reinventing a business. Rhombus guys now does take and bake pizzas and they are really good

There isnt a pizza made that is as good at home as it is right out of the pizza oven. Unless its real shitty pizza then who cares.

Hammerhead
09-05-2020, 11:11 PM
There isnt a pizza made that is as good at home as it is right out of the pizza oven. Unless its real shitty pizza then who cares.

We usually end up driving to pick up our pizzas so they are hot when we get them. When it’s really cold we do the half-baked pizzas from Duane’s and finish baking them at home.

56BISON73
09-05-2020, 11:22 PM
Also not everyone's food travels well. Early during all of this before anyone was open for dine in we supported every downtown restaurant that was delivering or you could take out. Let's just say most of their food was pretty crappy by the time I got 7 blocks home with it. They just don't make the kind of food that's meant to travel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Truth

56BISON73
09-05-2020, 11:24 PM
We usually end up driving to pick up our pizzas so they are hot when we get them. When it’s really cold we do the half-baked pizzas from Duane’s and finish baking them at home.

If youre going to drive there to pick it up then why dont you just eat it there?

td577
09-05-2020, 11:47 PM
If youre going to drive there to pick it up then why dont you just eat it there?I can't imagine eating Duane's or Sammy's at home. Fresh from their ovens only with just a little cool down time.

Both have good times to go to keep the family separated from other people.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
09-06-2020, 12:07 AM
If youre going to drive there to pick it up then why dont you just eat it there?

We just prefer to eat at home and let the cat beg for pepperoni. We can also watch TV at home or eat in our sweatpants.

56BISON73
09-06-2020, 12:27 AM
I can't imagine eating Duane's or Sammy's at home. Fresh from their ovens only with just a little cool down time.

Both have good times to go to keep the family separated from other people.

Ive had Duanes delivered. Just not the same. I mean its ok but not really.;)

Kevin
09-06-2020, 12:30 AM
Ive had Duanes delivered. Just not the same. I mean its ok but not really.;)

I'm on day 24 of a pretty serious diet and I would literally kill for Duane's pizza right now. In shop, delivered, cold pulled from a dumpster. I don't care.

I would beat EC8H8H into a coma with a copy of The Art of the Deal just to smell a Duane's pepperoni and extra cheese.

EC8CH
09-06-2020, 12:35 AM
I'm on day 24 of a pretty serious diet and I would literally kill for Duane's pizza right now. In shop, delivered, cold pulled from a dumpster. I don't care.

I would beat EC8H8H into a coma with a copy of The Art of the Deal just to smell a Duane's pepperoni and extra cheese.

No judgement here. Add some Jojos though.

56BISON73
09-06-2020, 12:47 AM

Been there. I feel your pain.

GreenfieldBison
09-06-2020, 01:04 AM

The only way to pizza is to eat it straight out of a 600 yr old stone oven with wood fire located in Tuscany. You can take my word for it or I welcome you to travel and verify. Happy to pass along local recommendations.

Here in the US I just buy some frozen thing and then customize heavily, usually with stuff from my own garden.

bisonaudit
09-06-2020, 01:49 AM
The only way to pizza is to eat it straight out of a 600 yr old stone oven with wood fire located in Tuscany. You can take my word for it or I welcome you to travel and verify. Happy to pass along local recommendations.

Here in the US I just buy some frozen thing and then customize heavily, usually with stuff from my own garden.

That’s some serious narrow casting. Not even Naples?

Son of a Bison
09-06-2020, 04:01 AM
Duanes makes their own sausage. So worth it prebake, takeout or delivery. One tme at fish camp in Canada, we took prebake 10 hour drive past border in Canada to a fishing camp and gave to host family. Trust me they treated us real well.

GreenfieldBison
09-06-2020, 02:37 PM

I can only speak to what I know and I’ve never been to Naples - either Italy or Florida.

I suspect it would be great but I would have to take your word at this point.

SomeBeach
09-06-2020, 04:39 PM
Duanes makes their own sausage. So worth it prebake, takeout or delivery. One tme at fish camp in Canada, we took prebake 10 hour drive past border in Canada to a fishing camp and gave to host family. Trust me they treated us real well.

This one time at fish camp....

Hammerhead
09-06-2020, 08:12 PM
Pizza from a coal-fired oven is pretty good too.

ByeSonBusiness
09-06-2020, 09:06 PM
I ask you this... what's the last time you've been to the Turf? If it's been a while go drop a few bucks. They looked slow this summer and they put a lot of money into that place since the fire. It's kind of non replaceable

I dont live in Fargo anymore. Haven't been to the Turf much since college (graduated 5 years ago).

I'll be in Fargo for an appointment next week, may swing by for lunch and a mug for old times sake.

ByeSonBusiness
09-06-2020, 09:08 PM

Will Genoa suffice? Some Mafia drug front in Sicily? If I'm ever going to Italy I want to make sure I dont ruin this.

bisonaudit
09-06-2020, 11:11 PM
Will Genoa suffice? Some Mafia drug front in Sicily? If I'm ever going to Italy I want to make sure I dont ruin this.

The good news is you have to work pretty hard to find a bad meal there.

GreenfieldBison
09-07-2020, 12:44 AM
The good news is you have to work pretty hard to find a bad meal there.

I was there for two weeks and never had a questionable offering. Five star down to in home. I had a “fast food” order of bruschetta in Vernazza on the Med coast as I was in a rush to catch the last train. R. I. D. I. C. U. L. O. U. S

Went to this place three days in a row for the seafood ravioli. I’m still convinced they were lacing it with the cocaina. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187820-d4086810-r319880122-L_Osteria-Monterosso_al_Mare_Cinque_Terre_Italian_Riviera_Li guria.html

kab1one
09-07-2020, 01:07 AM

I spent two weeks in Italy. Rome Sienna, Florence, Piza, Cinque Terra (best part of the trip in my opinion) I ate good food many times a day, but I don't recall eating pizza in Italy.

WhoRepsTheLurker
09-07-2020, 02:24 AM

Now that sounds like a way to live. Pizza has all the food groups and is excellent for breakfast, especially in the north woods with coffee (in case anyone hadn't figured that out yet) … You got your fat, you got your carbs, you got your protein. Take a vitamin pill and you’re good to go.

imabison
09-08-2020, 08:47 PM
The Prairie Rose Meadery put on their facebook site that they will open their entire packing lot for tailgating .

Not sure of their full plans.

HerdBot
09-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Pizza Hut 19th Ave and KFC have closed

HerdBot
09-09-2020, 06:47 PM
The Blvd Pub building is up for sale now

Kevin
09-09-2020, 07:21 PM
The Blvd Pub building is up for sale now

I heard they wanted 2+ million for it. Amazing what people get for shit around here.

HerdBot
09-10-2020, 03:49 PM
Shotgun Sally's building is now available for lease. Although apparently it's been for sale since November so may not be covid related

Kevin
09-10-2020, 03:52 PM
Shotgun Sally's building is now available for lease

That's a pretty nice set up but I can't imagine who would sign off on that in this climate. Has to be expensive as hell.

Bison bison
09-10-2020, 05:54 PM
I heard they wanted 2+ million for it. Amazing what people get for shit around here.

Guys. I've got a great pancake recipe. If guys can put together the $2 million I think we could really have something.

HerdBot
09-10-2020, 05:56 PM
That's a pretty nice set up but I can't imagine who would sign off on that in this climate. Has to be expensive as hell.

I've never been there but after checking it out online, looks like it's CAF. Can't imagine a place like that who has bands and a large capacity is going to do well when the weather gets back to winter. If it was bad before, it's going to get worse. Unless of course we can just end the madness and let bars go back to 100% capacity again

Sycamore Tuff
09-11-2020, 03:22 AM
I was driving through Fargo a couple years ago on my way to Williston. I stopped at an interesting place for food. I think it was called Space Aliens.

HerdBot
09-11-2020, 05:25 AM
I was driving through Fargo a couple years ago on my way to Williston. I stopped at an interesting place for food. I think it was called Space Aliens.

That's a solid place. So many new places, I kind of forgot about it but now I want to go

HerdBot
09-11-2020, 04:21 PM
https://www.inforum.com/business/restaurants-and-bars/6655776-Shotgun-Sally’s-location-to-be-developed-into-new-concept?fbclid=IwAR1r1h7u3Dd3rff-0QbmXvJjF_2ASv_la2Sd4Q-lxacfuLsde8tx4kg5c0Y

Hammerhead
09-11-2020, 07:47 PM
https://www.inforum.com/business/restaurants-and-bars/6655776-Shotgun-Sally’s-location-to-be-developed-into-new-concept?fbclid=IwAR1r1h7u3Dd3rff-0QbmXvJjF_2ASv_la2Sd4Q-lxacfuLsde8tx4kg5c0Y

So something might happen, but we won't know anything for at least 5 months. That's a real helpful story.

from the article:

“It’s on the market,” Leslie said. “It’s been on the market for almost a year. Something exciting is pretty much almost going to happen.”

Leslie declined to give further details, but promised it won’t be long until they emerge, in fact, as early February 2021.

oldmantutters
09-11-2020, 08:44 PM
I was driving through Fargo a couple years ago on my way to Williston. I stopped at an interesting place for food. I think it was called Space Aliens.The food there was so subpar last time I was there that I think the last time I was there will be the last time I will ever be there.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

HerdBot
09-12-2020, 09:30 PM
So something might happen, but we won't know anything for at least 5 months. That's a real helpful story.

from the article:

“It’s on the market,” Leslie said. “It’s been on the market for almost a year. Something exciting is pretty much almost going to happen.”

Leslie declined to give further details, but promised it won’t be long until they emerge, in fact, as early February 2021.

After reading it, I'm certainly convinced that something may possibly happen that may or may not be exciting. It's pretty much almost certain its going to happen, or not going to happen. It's certainly possibly an exiting time to be excited

HerdBot
09-13-2020, 01:15 AM
Finally after 2 years of crap, the Main Ave project is complete. Businesses really got the shaft for 2 years. You can now take University north for a block. Also electronic signs warn ahead for trains and direct people to use the university counter flow lane or 2nd Street underpass

Parking is now parallel with the sidewalks.

https://kfgo.com/2020/09/07/fargos-main-avenue-makeover-project-is-complete-a-month-ahead-of-schedule/

southcliffbison
09-13-2020, 11:40 PM
After reading it, I'm certainly convinced that something may possibly happen that may or may not be exciting. It's pretty much almost certain its going to happen, or not going to happen. It's certainly possibly an exiting time to be excited

From reading your post, I gather that you're excited when nothing happens...…...does your wife feel the same way ???

HerdBot
09-13-2020, 11:52 PM
From reading your post, I gather that you're excited when nothing happens...…...does your wife feel the same way ???

Most certainly she may possibly orgasm. It's certainly possible she's probably going to enjoy it or not

HerdBot
10-03-2020, 07:37 AM
Now its getting too cold to eat outside and they cut capacity again from 75% to 50%. Went out tonight to get a steak and the waiter basically told me they are screwed.

If they have outdoor seating, 75% is doable. If they don't have outdoor seating, 75% is tough but survivable. But 50% is unsustainable. Especially places that do unpractical take out options like steak.

Read an article in the Forum and some businesses are putting 3 fireplaces outside and 7 outdoor heaters.

Sad.

El_Chapo
10-03-2020, 02:05 PM
do we have a list of Fargo Businesses/Restaurants out of business because of 2020:

O learys
BLVD
Cafe 116 Fergus Falls

tjbison
10-03-2020, 02:07 PM
do we have a list of Fargo Businesses/Restaurants out of business because of 2020:

O learys
BLVDO learys didn't go out if business due to covid, place was a shithole, couldn't afford to pay employees

Be a new place opening in there soon with a new name

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

steelbison
10-03-2020, 02:07 PM

O learys
BLVD
Cafe 116 Fergus Falls

Old Chicago.

El_Chapo
10-05-2020, 07:33 PM
Minnesota Restaurant/Bars that Governor Walz has closed down cuz of his policies

Congratulations to Timmy Walz! You did this! All these restaurants are gone.
Bachelor Farmer and adjacent Marvel Bar, North Loop
Ginger Hop and basement club Honey, northeast Minneapolis
The Herkimer, LynLake Minneapolis
Muddy Waters, LynLake Minneapolis
McCormick & Schmick’s, Nicollet Mall location
Sleepy V’s donut shop, northeast Minneapolis
Pazzaluna, downtown St. Paul
Bad Waitress, northeast Minneapolis location – replaced by Central N.E.
Burger Jones, south Minneapolis location
A Cupcake Social, south Minneapolis
Bar Luchador, Stadium Village Minneapolis
El Burrito Mercado, south Minneapolis location
4 Bells, downtown Minneapolis
Fuji Ya, LynLake Minneapolis
Izzy’s Ice Cream, St. Paul and Minneapolis locations
Anelace Coffee, northeast Minneapolis (closed due to fire)
The Egg & I, LynLake Minneapolis location
Moose & Sadie’s, North Loop
Fig & Farro, Uptown Minneapolis
The Fitz, St. Paul (turned into Handsome Hog)
Public Kitchen, St. Paul
Grey Duck, St. Paul
Cleveland Wok, St. Paul
NE Arcade, northeast Minneapolis
Bonfire, locations in Blaine, Eagan, Savage, Woodbury, St. Paul, Mankato, and MSP Airport
Vivo Kitchen, Apple Valley – slated to be new Tavern Grill location
Sole Mio, Woodbury
Roasted Pear, Burnsville and Brooklyn Park
Little Tijuana, south Minneapolis
Green Mill Restaurant, locations in Roseville and Winona
The 508 Bar + Restaurant, downtown Minneapolis
Taco Cat, south Minneapolis -- shutting down Sept. 30
Allie's Deli, downtown Minneapolis
Bar Brava, North Loop, Minneapolis (*chance of re-opening in the future)
BBQ Cabin, St. Paul
Bellecour, Wayzata
Casablanca Restaurant, Rochester
Cheese Louise, Linden Hills, Minneapolis
Daube's, Rochester
Don Raul, south Minneapolis
Doolittles Woodfire Grill, Alexandria location
R.A. MacSammy’s Elbow Room, south Minneapolis
In Bloom, St. Paul
Keegan's Irish Pub-Restaurant, northeast Minneapolis
Lettuce Unite, Rochester
Lush, northeast Minneapolis
Octo Fishbar, St. Paul
Old Chicago, Apple Valley
Outback Steakhouse, Roseville
Popol Vuh (to be replaced with ViVir) northeast Minneapolis
Red's Savoy, northeast Minneapolis
Tonic Kitchen & Juice Bar, Rochester
Giordano’s, Uptown Minneapolis
Create Catering, Northeast Minneapolis as of Sept. 19
Macy's Lakeshore Grills, Ridgedale and Southdale
Butcher & the Boar, Mpls.
Surly Brewery Beer Hall and Pizza, Mpls. (production brewing still open)
Curran's Family Restaurant, Kingfield, Mpls.
Hopcat, Mpls.
Bardo, Northeast Mpls.....
Costa Blanca Bistro, Northeast Mpls....

tjbison
10-05-2020, 10:49 PM
Minnesota Restaurant/Bars that Governor Walz has closed down cuz of his policies

Congratulations to Timmy Walz! You did this! All these restaurants are gone.
Bachelor Farmer and adjacent Marvel Bar, North Loop
Ginger Hop and basement club Honey, northeast Minneapolis
The Herkimer, LynLake Minneapolis
Muddy Waters, LynLake Minneapolis
McCormick & Schmick’s, Nicollet Mall location
Sleepy V’s donut shop, northeast Minneapolis
Pazzaluna, downtown St. Paul
Bad Waitress, northeast Minneapolis location – replaced by Central N.E.
Burger Jones, south Minneapolis location
A Cupcake Social, south Minneapolis
Bar Luchador, Stadium Village Minneapolis
El Burrito Mercado, south Minneapolis location
4 Bells, downtown Minneapolis
Fuji Ya, LynLake Minneapolis
Izzy’s Ice Cream, St. Paul and Minneapolis locations
Anelace Coffee, northeast Minneapolis (closed due to fire)
The Egg & I, LynLake Minneapolis location
Moose & Sadie’s, North Loop
Fig & Farro, Uptown Minneapolis
The Fitz, St. Paul (turned into Handsome Hog)
Public Kitchen, St. Paul
Grey Duck, St. Paul
Cleveland Wok, St. Paul
NE Arcade, northeast Minneapolis
Bonfire, locations in Blaine, Eagan, Savage, Woodbury, St. Paul, Mankato, and MSP Airport
Vivo Kitchen, Apple Valley – slated to be new Tavern Grill location
Sole Mio, Woodbury
Roasted Pear, Burnsville and Brooklyn Park
Little Tijuana, south Minneapolis
Green Mill Restaurant, locations in Roseville and Winona
The 508 Bar + Restaurant, downtown Minneapolis
Taco Cat, south Minneapolis -- shutting down Sept. 30
Allie's Deli, downtown Minneapolis
Bar Brava, North Loop, Minneapolis (*chance of re-opening in the future)
BBQ Cabin, St. Paul
Bellecour, Wayzata
Casablanca Restaurant, Rochester
Cheese Louise, Linden Hills, Minneapolis
Daube's, Rochester
Don Raul, south Minneapolis
Doolittles Woodfire Grill, Alexandria location
R.A. MacSammy’s Elbow Room, south Minneapolis
In Bloom, St. Paul
Keegan's Irish Pub-Restaurant, northeast Minneapolis
Lettuce Unite, Rochester
Lush, northeast Minneapolis
Octo Fishbar, St. Paul
Old Chicago, Apple Valley
Outback Steakhouse, Roseville
Popol Vuh (to be replaced with ViVir) northeast Minneapolis
Red's Savoy, northeast Minneapolis
Tonic Kitchen & Juice Bar, Rochester
Giordano’s, Uptown Minneapolis
Create Catering, Northeast Minneapolis as of Sept. 19
Macy's Lakeshore Grills, Ridgedale and Southdale
Butcher & the Boar, Mpls.
Surly Brewery Beer Hall and Pizza, Mpls. (production brewing still open)
Curran's Family Restaurant, Kingfield, Mpls.
Hopcat, Mpls.
Bardo, Northeast Mpls.....
Costa Blanca Bistro, Northeast Mpls....

to be fair not all of these closed due to Covid, I do agree Walz is a dipS..t

The butcher and the boar in MSP was closing regardless as the one original owner that was left, opened another facility in South Carolina and at one point pre Covid didnt even have enough money to stock his bar in MSP. USed to like going there, then the last time I was there the food was aweful and for the amount they charged the writing was on the wall IMO

Old CHicago as a company went tits up bankrupt

Green mills the same

and all were on the verge of collapse pre Covid, no doubt though that a good chunk of the ones you listed did close because of it, but my guess is they were struggling to begin with. Sucks either way

wagsabison
10-05-2020, 11:54 PM
O learys didn't go out if business due to covid, place was a shithole, couldn't afford to pay employees

Be a new place opening in there soon with a new name

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Ya. That was headed downhill long before 2020.

El_Chapo
10-06-2020, 02:27 AM
to be fair not all of these closed due to Covid, I do agree Walz is a dipS..t

The butcher and the boar in MSP was closing regardless as the one original owner that was left, opened another facility in South Carolina and at one point pre Covid didnt even have enough money to stock his bar in MSP. USed to like going there, then the last time I was there the food was aweful and for the amount they charged the writing was on the wall IMO

Old CHicago as a company went tits up bankrupt

Green mills the same

and all were on the verge of collapse pre Covid, no doubt though that a good chunk of the ones you listed did close because of it, but my guess is they were struggling to begin with. Sucks either way

ok 4-5 out of 200. lol

GradBison
10-06-2020, 08:44 PM
King House is closing. :(

EC8CH
10-06-2020, 08:52 PM

Never really was a fan. Phil Wong's was my downtown Chinese jam.

ndsubison1
10-06-2020, 08:59 PM
Now its getting too cold to eat outside and they cut capacity again from 75% to 50%. Went out tonight to get a steak and the waiter basically told me they are screwed.

If they have outdoor seating, 75% is doable. If they don't have outdoor seating, 75% is tough but survivable. But 50% is unsustainable. Especially places that do unpractical take out options like steak.

Read an article in the Forum and some businesses are putting 3 fireplaces outside and 7 outdoor heaters.

Sad.

The little rules absolutely hurt businesses. The retail/restaurant/movie theater industries are getting killed all over. People will be amazed a year from now. Not to mention it makes people think twice about going out anyways. Ive been trying to support local instead of chains.

TAILG8R
10-06-2020, 09:07 PM

Ah, COVID finally did ol' Pigeon Palace in.

El_Chapo
10-06-2020, 10:56 PM
NO MORE PIGEON SWEET N SOUR at KING HOUSE BUFFET. CLOSED.

Kevin
10-06-2020, 11:20 PM

Best snow shrimp I've had outside an even sketchier dive in Las Vegas.

RIP.

No_Skill
10-07-2020, 12:00 AM
This makes me sad. It was a favorite during college.

HerdBot
10-07-2020, 01:26 AM

In all fairness, they had problems way before covid, but only being at 50% capacity had to be a nail in the coffin. Sorry but these regulations are business killers

https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/King-House-Buffet-makes-comeback-after--511756182.html

https://www.kvrr.com/2019/05/21/caged-pigeons-found-at-king-house-buffet-in-fargo/

Hammerhead
10-07-2020, 01:46 AM
Even in normal times, the restaurant business is tough.

NDSUstudent
10-07-2020, 01:56 AM
A buffet during a pandemic, yeah that is a business model that just doesn't work anymore. Sad to see them go but it is what it is.

Hammersmith
10-07-2020, 02:32 AM
The little rules absolutely hurt businesses. The retail/restaurant/movie theater industries are getting killed all over. People will be amazed a year from now. Not to mention it makes people think twice about going out anyways. Ive been trying to support local instead of chains.

[note: I don't disagree with the rules in place. This is observation, not complaining. - Also, this probably should have gone in the movie thread, but whatever.]

A lot of movie theaters are going to go under without significant federal aid. Many opened several weeks ago, but they've been operating at a loss the whole time. Many/most are losing more money now than when they were closed. The only major new movie that has been released so far is Tenet, and that has been badly underperforming. And now every major movie scheduled for October and November has been pushed back. Even some of the big December movies are started to get pushed. Dune just got pushed back nine months to next October.

Regal Cinemas(the 2nd largest theater chain in the US and largest in the world) is shutting down all theaters in the US and UK starting Thursday or Friday. It's likely that AMC, Cinemark and Marcus will follow soon. The 1-2 hit of Black Widow and No Time to Die getting pushed into next year was probably the last straw. There's even talk of WW84 getting moved again. If that happens, there won't be a massive movie to hit theaters until late January or into February.

Current upcoming release dates:
Nov 20 - Soul (Pixar film about a music teacher that wants to become a jazz musician. Rumored to be going straight to Disney+.)
Nov 25 - The Croods: A New Age (Might go VOD or pushed back, but no one is expecting that much from it anyway.)
Dec 11 - Free Guy (Ryan Reynolds vehicle about a nobody video game character in a GTA-style game taking over for the player and becoming a hero.)
Dec 18 - Coming 2 America (Sequel to the 80's Eddy Murphy comedy.)
Dec 18 - Death on the Nile (Kenneth Branagh reprises his portrayal of Hercule Poirot from Murder on the Orient Express.)
Dec 25 - Wonder Woman 1984 (Next huge film on the schedule - for now.)
Dec 30 - Escape Room 2
Jan 15 - Mortal Kombat
Jan 15 - Peter Rabbit 2
Jan 15 - Respect (Aretha Franklin biopic.)

HerdBot
10-07-2020, 07:20 AM
[note: I don't disagree with the rules in place. This is observation, not complaining. - Also, this probably should have gone in the movie thread, but whatever.]

A lot of movie theaters are going to go under without significant federal aid. Many opened several weeks ago, but they've been operating at a loss the whole time. Many/most are losing more money now than when they were closed. The only major new movie that has been released so far is Tenet, and that has been badly underperforming. And now every major movie scheduled for October and November has been pushed back. Even some of the big December movies are started to get pushed. Dune just got pushed back nine months to next October.

Regal Cinemas(the 2nd largest theater chain in the US and largest in the world) is shutting down all theaters in the US and UK starting Thursday or Friday. It's likely that AMC, Cinemark and Marcus will follow soon. The 1-2 hit of Black Widow and No Time to Die getting pushed into next year was probably the last straw. There's even talk of WW84 getting moved again. If that happens, there won't be a massive movie to hit theaters until late January or into February.

Current upcoming release dates:
Nov 20 - Soul (Pixar film about a music teacher that wants to become a jazz musician. Rumored to be going straight to Disney+.)
Nov 25 - The Croods: A New Age (Might go VOD or pushed back, but no one is expecting that much from it anyway.)
Dec 11 - Free Guy (Ryan Reynolds vehicle about a nobody video game character in a GTA-style game taking over for the player and becoming a hero.)
Dec 18 - Coming 2 America (Sequel to the 80's Eddy Murphy comedy.)
Dec 18 - Death on the Nile (Kenneth Branagh reprises his portrayal of Hercule Poirot from Murder on the Orient Express.)
Dec 25 - Wonder Woman 1984 (Next huge film on the schedule - for now.)
Dec 30 - Escape Room 2
Jan 15 - Mortal Kombat
Jan 15 - Peter Rabbit 2
Jan 15 - Respect (Aretha Franklin biopic.)

I disagree with most rules, especially the capacity limits. Fargo restaurants are at 50% capacity. Its nearly impossible to make the numbers work. The size of the restaurant and cost per square foot is built into the business model

As far as movies go. Nothing is out unless you're into the wizard of oz, the karate kid, or fast times at Ridgemont high

GradBison
10-07-2020, 02:48 PM
I disagree with most rules, especially the capacity limits. Fargo restaurants are at 50% capacity. Its nearly impossible to make the numbers work. The size of the restaurant and cost per square foot is built into the business model

As far as movies go. Nothing is out unless you're into the wizard of oz, the karate kid, or fast times at Ridgemont high

Are they having to turn people away because of capacity limits? Legitimately curious.

NDSU_grad
10-07-2020, 02:57 PM
A buffet during a pandemic, yeah that is a business model that just doesn't work anymore. Sad to see them go but it is what it is.
I don’t remember this being an issue during the 2009 SARS pandemic, but maybe I’m remembering wrong.

mnriverbison
10-07-2020, 04:56 PM
It's kind of crazy to 100% blame capacity rules for restaurants as if demand hasn't also cratered for dining in. People quite rightfully see dining indoors as a pretty easy covid risk to avoid.

Similarly movie theaters for example are re-opening and let's just say plenty of seats are available. With movies it's creating a chicken-egg double whammy for theaters. Already low crowds are killing them, and causing movie studios to delay blockbusters which may lure people back. It's ugly.

Kevin
10-07-2020, 04:58 PM
It's kind of crazy to 100% blame capacity rules for restaurants as if demand hasn't also cratered for dining in. People quite rightfully see dining indoors as a pretty easy covid risk to avoid. Similarly movie theaters for example are re-opening and let's just say plenty of seats are available.

Correct. My wife and I used to eat out weekly. Now we just don't. It's not an acceptable risk. We UberEats once or so a month when a craving hits.

It's been great for the checking account and the waistline. Bad for businesses though.

roadwarrior
10-07-2020, 05:46 PM
Demand is way down and would be way down even if there wasn't any capacity rules. I haven't had a drink inside a bar since February. As long as the state is reporting hundreds of new cases daily, that is the way my behavior will remain.

NDSU_grad
10-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Demand is way down and would be way down even if there wasn't any capacity rules. I haven't had a drink inside a bar since February. As long as the state is reporting hundreds of new cases daily, that is the way my behavior will remain.
That's interesting. In Minot I haven't noticed any decrease in the number of patrons at eating and drinking establishments. Most of the national chains in town have reduced capacity by 50%, while many of the local ones have not. I'd say regardless of whether it's a national chain or local joint capacity is close to 100% of the tables available when comparing to pre-covid.

NDSUstudent
10-07-2020, 08:06 PM
I don’t remember this being an issue during the 2009 SARS pandemic, but maybe I’m remembering wrong.

Not sure anyone in this area had to ever worry about getting SARS. Maybe you are talking about swine flu but that was a nothing burger compared to COVID.

NDSU_grad
10-07-2020, 09:10 PM
Not sure anyone in this area had to ever worry about getting SARS. Maybe you are talking about swine flu but that was a nothing burger compared to COVID.
Yep. I conflated SARS and H1N1. My point was H1N1 was also a pandemic and I don't remember this level of attention. I do think Covid is much more serious for the elderly population compared to h1n1, but probably similar for those under 40. If I remember correctly, h1n1 hit kids pretty hard.

B. b. bison
10-07-2020, 09:14 PM

Besides there being 277,000+ times more cases of COVID-19 in the United States and SARS not being a pandemic, it seems like a fair comparison.

Hammerhead
10-07-2020, 09:33 PM
Some places don't even give you an option to tip if you order online unless you want to hand cash to the person bringing out your food. I still try to tip the same amount I would if we were eating in the restaurant.

mnriverbison
10-07-2020, 10:53 PM
Some places don't even give you an option to tip if you order online unless you want to hand cash to the person bringing out your food. I still try to tip the same amount I would if we were eating in the restaurant.

I do too. I work adjacent to the biz and the experience noted above of places having roughly the same traffic as before is simply not the experience of the overwhelming majority of the dine-in restaurants in this country. Casual dining is a disaster and fine dining is a blood bath. Burger/taco drive-thrus, pizza, and a few take-out heavy segments like wings are doing well and it's a flaming poop show for about everyone else. And I can say this since I work with places where there are more stringent bans and less like ND-that hardly matters. It's like the old smoking bans. Operators swore that would kill them and even was killing them, but the industry grew by leaps and bounds right through smoking bans. It's consumer demand. Period. When people feel good about their health and their pocketbook they'll come back, and not before. In fact, demand fell off right around late march everywhere, before most every dining ban happened. It wasn't the governor. It was the customers.

HerdBot
10-07-2020, 11:33 PM
Are they having to turn people away because of capacity limits? Legitimately curious.

The place I went to last weekend told me they turned away people , not because they were extraordinarily busy. But because going from 100 to 50 made the wait times longer.
100 to 50
50 to 25
25 to 12

staff cut in half
less efficient cooking
have to buy less quantities
basically keep the rent the same with half capacity

HerdBot
10-07-2020, 11:36 PM
Ruby Tuesday filing for chapter 11
Hopefully the Fargo one remains open, I like that place
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/10/07/921228673/its-not-goodbye-but-not-good-either-ruby-tuesday-declares-bankruptcy

NDSU_grad
10-08-2020, 01:38 AM
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/10/07/921228673/its-not-goodbye-but-not-good-either-ruby-tuesday-declares-bankruptcy
The one in Minot closed, but I think the writing was on the wall for that location pre-Covid.

td577
10-08-2020, 02:25 AM
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/10/07/921228673/its-not-goodbye-but-not-good-either-ruby-tuesday-declares-bankruptcyI haven't been there since pre-covid, but I can't help but think it isn't good when your salad bar is the main draw.

GreenfieldBison
10-09-2020, 02:00 AM

2009 Pandemic was not deadly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ndsubison1
10-09-2020, 02:56 AM
Bird Dog Brewery in Bismarck announced theyre closing. Small place in a strip mall.

HerdBot
10-10-2020, 05:35 AM
A few new places opening. Fargo is the exception, not the rule

Rapper Big Reeno and brother purchase 64 Broadway in Fargo; plans call for opening two-story District 64 bar
https://www.inforum.com/business/restaurants-and-bars/6710557-Rapper-Big-Reeno-and-brother-purchase-64-Broadway-in-Fargo-plans-call-for-opening-two-story-District-64-bar

Dot's Pretzels leasing space in Fargo's Block 9 building; permit for fit-up issued
https://www.inforum.com/business/6705270-Dots-Pretzels-leasing-space-in-Fargos-Block-9-building-permit-for-fit-up-issued

And the Fargo Ruby Tuesday is staying open