PDA

View Full Version : COVID-19 football aftermath thread

THEsocalledfan
08-24-2020, 08:28 PM
We are already seeing some issues that will affect the team after the pandemic. So, lets post questions here and get some answers. (THIS IS NOT A COVID-19 THREAD AND NO POLITICS ARE WELCOME OR INTENDED.)

1. Will FCS and FBS be allowed to increase scholarship numbers, temporarily? I have not seen anyone talk about how you handle a new class of recruits when no one loses a year of eligibility......

2. What happens to the seniors who partied on our dime at Chubs? Would this really lose their amateur status due to this crazy situation?

Okay, post more questions, and folks who are smarter, please answer these and other questions. (looking at you, Hammer.)

Bisonator98
08-24-2020, 08:29 PM
We are already seeing some issues that will affect the team after the pandemic. So, lets post question here and get some answers. (THIS IS NOT A COVID-19 THREAD AND NO POLITICS ARE WELCOME OR INTENDED.)

1. Will FCS and FBS be allowed to increase scholarship numbers, temporarily? I have not seen anyone talk about how you handle a new class of recruits when no one loses a year of eligibility......

2. What happens to the seniors who partied on our dime at Chubs? Would this really lose their amateur status due to this crazy situation?

Okay, post more questions, and folks who are smarter, please answer these and other questions. (looking at you, Hammer.)

Keep the covid shit off the FB forum please!

THEsocalledfan
08-24-2020, 08:48 PM
Keep the covid shit off the FB forum please!

I thought I made that clear......

El_Chapo
08-24-2020, 09:54 PM
off to a 2020 start here...lol

#1. no one will lose eligibility from fall to spring

#2. For all thr NCAA knows people called into Chubs for "Wade" the bartenders tab. chill on that. :)

IndyBison
08-24-2020, 11:16 PM
The FCS officials are out about $9-10k of income. Can they use the new PPP program if it's passed to recover some of that lost income?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

THEsocalledfan
08-24-2020, 11:57 PM
This scholarship issue is huge. See my #1. Anyone understand what will happen?

bisonaudit
08-25-2020, 12:26 AM
This scholarship issue is huge. See my #1. Anyone understand what will happen?

Seniors who elect to return next year who otherwise would have been out of eligibility will not count against scholarship limits, allowing programs to recruit a full compliment of Freshman.

THEsocalledfan
08-25-2020, 02:09 AM
Seniors who elect to return next year who otherwise would have been out of eligibility will not count against scholarship limits, allowing programs to recruit a full compliment of Freshman.

You have a reference for that audit?

56BISON73
08-25-2020, 02:33 AM
We are already seeing some issues that will affect the team after the pandemic. So, lets post questions here and get some answers. (THIS IS NOT A COVID-19 THREAD AND NO POLITICS ARE WELCOME OR INTENDED.)

Has nothing to do with amateur status and everything to with impermissive payments-benefits as they were still eligible and still on scholarship if they had not yet graduated.

bisonaudit
08-25-2020, 03:24 AM
You have a reference for that audit?

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/08/21/ncaa-grants-extra-year-of-eligibility-to-fall-sport-athletes-addresses-scholarships-in-light-of-covid-19/

56BISON73
08-25-2020, 04:09 AM
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/08/21/ncaa-grants-extra-year-of-eligibility-to-fall-sport-athletes-addresses-scholarships-in-light-of-covid-19/

Nice to see the NCAA got one right.

Hammersmith
08-25-2020, 05:59 AM
Nice to see the NCAA got one right.

It seems no different than what they did a few months ago for the spring athletes. All the questions on this topic(on BV, but not just BV) make me wonder if people ever stop talking to hear themselves talk, and just listen sometimes. The NCAA addressed an issue identical to this back in March/April, but somehow no one seems to remember even though it was big news at the time. <shakes head>

56BISON73
08-25-2020, 06:35 AM
It seems no different than what they did a few months ago for the spring athletes. All the questions on this topic(on BV, but not just BV) make me wonder if people ever stop talking to hear themselves talk, and just listen sometimes. The NCAA addressed an issue identical to this back in March/April, but somehow no one seems to remember even though it was big news at the time. <shakes head>

So they got two things right. Thanks for the reminder. :rolleyes:

bison_by_blood
08-25-2020, 09:18 AM
So they got two things right. Thanks for the reminder. :rolleyes:

So we got 1 game that was the lead on SportsCenter and no doubt will be a highlight when we play. I personally think this might be the best exposure we’ve ever had. No doubt it’s gonna be a Trey Lance showcase. But, I can’t get over the seniors that won’t have a chance to play a normal season. That sucks, but one showcase game to treat like an NC is at least something to motivate the fellas through endless workouts.

Mr Meaty
08-25-2020, 12:13 PM
The FCS officials are out about $9-10k of income. Can they use the new PPP program if it's passed to recover some of that lost income?

PPP program has closed and we are beginning the forgiveness applications now. You missed your window.

THEsocalledfan
08-25-2020, 01:44 PM

I quite paying attention after the the pandemic first hit and sure I was not the only one. I didn't even think about Spring athletics already had to address this as I did not pay attention at all.

ByeSonBusiness
08-25-2020, 01:55 PM
I quite paying attention after the the pandemic first hit and sure I was not the only one. I didn't even think about Spring athletics already had to address this as I did not pay attention at all.

Once they said no march madness I checked out completely

southcliffbison
08-25-2020, 02:12 PM

Wish what we know now, we had known back in March. Iowa went thru a complete high school baseball season (games played in the summer, season started in late May); completed a regular season, districts, sub-states, and state tournaments......No problems !!! Yes, protocols were followed, such as each team had 6 game baseballs; when team A was on defense, they used their baseballs, team B on defense, they used their baseballs; each team had a designated ball shagger (fans were asked not to retrieve foul balls), concession stands were closed. I, as a plate umpire, never touched a damn ball (on a foul ball, the coach would reach into his bucket and toss it out to the pitcher. The only things I had in my ballbag were the plate brush, mosquito spray, and a bottle of water. There were no restrictions on people attending games and there were lots of fans at games. The PA announcer reminded fans of social distancing, whether or not it was followed, don't know. The idea is that if protocols are followed, sports seasons can be run and completed...….use common sense.

totoinfl
08-25-2020, 04:06 PM
Wish what we know now, we had known back in March. Iowa went thru a complete high school baseball season (games played in the summer, season started in late May); completed a regular season, districts, sub-states, and state tournaments......No problems !!! Yes, protocols were followed, such as each team had 6 game baseballs; when team A was on defense, they used their baseballs, team B on defense, they used their baseballs; each team had a designated ball shagger (fans were asked not to retrieve foul balls), concession stands were closed. I, as a plate umpire, never touched a damn ball (on a foul ball, the coach would reach into his bucket and toss it out to the pitcher. The only things I had in my ballbag were the plate brush, mosquito spray, and a bottle of water. There were no restrictions on people attending games and there were lots of fans at games. The PA announcer reminded fans of social distancing, whether or not it was followed, don't know. The idea is that if protocols are followed, sports seasons can be run and completed...….use common sense.

We are getting ready for HS football season here right now. Some of the HS teams draw better than a lot of FCS teams. I hope the fans can use their noggins as well as it sounds the Iowa fans did...but i have my doubts...I mean really "Floriduh Man"

roadwarrior
08-25-2020, 05:46 PM
Our tailgate group is getting together this Saturday for a "training" day.

Hammerhead
08-25-2020, 05:58 PM
We are getting ready for HS football season here right now. Some of the HS teams draw better than a lot of FCS teams. I hope the fans can use their noggins as well as it sounds the Iowa fans did...but i have my doubts...I mean really "Floriduh Man"

North Dakota has already lost one high school game due to a COVID infection. :(
https://www.inforum.com/incoming/6630985-Valley-City-High-School-football-game-canceled-due-to-positive-COVID-19-test

IndyBison
08-26-2020, 05:34 PM
PPP program has closed and we are beginning the forgiveness applications now. You missed your window.They couldn't apply then because there was no income lots at the time. It's the nature of the gig economy. They are still debating a new stimulus package and something like PPP is a part of it or at least something to help those in a gig economy.
North Dakota has already lost one high school game due to a COVID infection. :(
https://www.inforum.com/incoming/6630985-Valley-City-High-School-football-game-canceled-due-to-positive-COVID-19-testWe are in week 2 in Indiana. We had at least 48 games cancelled in week 1 (out of approximately 160) and 19 new games added for a net loss of 29 games. This week we are at 36 canceled and 21 added for a net loss of 15 games. That will continue to change during the week.

The good news is we've solved our officiating shortage at least for this year. There were some who opted out due to COVID, but there are lot more game cancellations than crew official cancellations.

southcliffbison
08-26-2020, 07:07 PM
They couldn't apply then because there was no income lots at the time. It's the nature of the gig economy. They are still debating a new stimulus package and something like PPP is a part of it or at least something to help those in a gig economy. We are in week 2 in Indiana. We had at least 48 games cancelled in week 1 (out of approximately 160) and 19 new games added for a net loss of 29 games. This week we are at 36 canceled and 21 added for a net loss of 15 games. That will continue to change during the week.

The good news is we've solved our officiating shortage at least for this year. There were some who opted out due to COVID, but there are lot more game cancellations than crew official cancellations.

South Dakota is in the same boat, but only on a much smaller scale. One reservation school canceled last week because the tribal council is not allowing schools from communities they consider covid hotbeds to come on the reservation (Sioux Falls) Conversely, the council is not allowing the reservation teams to travel to covid hotbeds. My football crew's game for Friday night is still on, and we have our finger's crossed. We would hate to see our opener canceled, but we realize things can change quickly.

tony
08-26-2020, 07:13 PM
Every time I see this thread, I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f92yfPFl9NY

Turn the volume down.

And every time I watch a video like that, I wonder if I guy my age could do that without wrecking myself.

Hammersmith
08-26-2020, 09:02 PM
Only mentioning this here because I don't want access to the poli board and I don't know if it's been brought up there. But I've been following covidactnow.org after someone on BV recommended it a couple months back. Red states had been declining from over a dozen states a couple weeks ago, down to just one(Mississippi). But then ND went red yesterday. The mass student testing at UND probably put ND over the top. It will likely get worse when the results from the NDSU mass testing get back in a few days.

Not looking for discussion on the issue, just putting it out there so someone can take it to the poli board if they want.

southcliffbison
08-26-2020, 09:48 PM
Only mentioning this here because I don't want access to the poli board and I don't know if it's been brought up there. But I've been following covidactnow.org after someone on BV recommended it a couple months back. Red states had been declining from over a dozen states a couple weeks ago, down to just one(Mississippi). But then ND went red yesterday. The mass student testing at UND probably put ND over the top. It will likely get worse when the results from the NDSU mass testing get back in a few days.

Not looking for discussion on the issue, just putting it out there so someone can take it to the poli board if they want.

Too many Nodaks went to Sturgis ???

IndyBison
08-30-2020, 01:58 PM
South Dakota is in the same boat, but only on a much smaller scale. One reservation school canceled last week because the tribal council is not allowing schools from communities they consider covid hotbeds to come on the reservation (Sioux Falls) Conversely, the council is not allowing the reservation teams to travel to covid hotbeds. My football crew's game for Friday night is still on, and we have our finger's crossed. We would hate to see our opener canceled, but we realize things can change quickly.How did your game go? We've had 2 weeks of scrimmages and 2 weeks of games and so far so good. There haven't been any major outbreaks yet, but games are getting cancelled due to quarantine. There were close to 30 games lost week 1 and 20 games week 2 (normally about 160 games each week).

southcliffbison
08-30-2020, 04:32 PM
How did your game go? We've had 2 weeks of scrimmages and 2 weeks of games and so far so good. There haven't been any major outbreaks yet, but games are getting cancelled due to quarantine. There were close to 30 games lost week 1 and 20 games week 2 (normally about 160 games each week).

It went surprisingly well for the first game; from pre-game conferences (just the referee and umpire instead of the whole crew) with the coaches to the introduction of players (no tunnels to run thru, the PA merely announced the starting lineups) protocols set by the SDHSAA were followed. Games that were postponed early in South Dakota are being reschedule on later dates. Schools are working together and are following protocols to make sure that the experience for the players, coaches, and fans is the safest possible. What surprised me was the fact that concession stands were open. Lots of fans in the stands, however no bands were playing. The PA reminded fans of social distancing; however, it was not really adhered to from what I observed. It was a fun game and our crew was happy to be back on the field. Hopefully, the season will continue.

MNLonghorn10
08-30-2020, 06:28 PM

A few days? They were testing ndsu almost 2 weeks ago

Hammersmith
08-30-2020, 07:10 PM
A few days? They were testing ndsu almost 2 weeks ago

I saw something in the news about a mass testing event that NDSU had just done that they hadn't gotten the results back yet. Since that post you quoted, there has also been a report that NDUS officials were disappointed at the low turnouts. I'll come back and edit with details.

Okay, I posted that on the 26th based off a story released late the night of the 24th.
https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/6631475-As-classes-resume-UND-has-232-coronavirus-cases-NDSU-just-over-a-dozen

UND says they weren't surprised by the growing case count, attributing it mainly to a five-day mass testing event last week. More than 3,500 members of the campus community were checked out, a majority of them students. Prior to that the campus was reporting just over 50 cases.

"At this point we are still in good shape with how can help isolate individuals or quarantine," said Linder.

A similar event was also held for the NDSU community. Those results are still not back.

And here's the story about the NDUS:
https://www.grandforksherald.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6635935-University-system-sees-low-testing-turnout

The state, planning for high volumes of testing, allocated more than 28,000 tests for the university system, according to Vern Dosch, the North Dakota contact tracing administrator. In total, about 13,000 people were tested on college campuses, including students, faculty, staff and the general public.

HerdistheWord
08-30-2020, 08:32 PM

It is a good site for pure numbers and a quick graphic snapshot. It is worth noting that SD and IA also just turned red for the first time.

Hammersmith
08-30-2020, 09:28 PM
It is a good site for pure numbers and a quick graphic snapshot. It is worth noting that SD and IA also just turned red for the first time.

Yeah, I'm refreshing it a few times a day. I like that it has breakdowns by county. Good for populous counties like mine; not so great for rural counties. My county(Lane - OR) has been flirting with green for over a week now. Only metric left is the new cases per 100k. Need 1.0 for green, but Lane has been around 1.4 to 1.01. Never quite low enough to flip out of yellow. Positive test rate is nice and low at 1.2-1.3%.

I'm also using a decent site run by Oregon's major newspaper. Accessible graphs with both daily and 7 day averages overlaid on each other.

THEsocalledfan
08-31-2020, 02:14 PM
It went surprisingly well for the first game; from pre-game conferences (just the referee and umpire instead of the whole crew) with the coaches to the introduction of players (no tunnels to run thru, the PA merely announced the starting lineups) protocols set by the SDHSAA were followed. Games that were postponed early in South Dakota are being reschedule on later dates. Schools are working together and are following protocols to make sure that the experience for the players, coaches, and fans is the safest possible. What surprised me was the fact that concession stands were open. Lots of fans in the stands, however no bands were playing. The PA reminded fans of social distancing; however, it was not really adhered to from what I observed. It was a fun game and our crew was happy to be back on the field. Hopefully, the season will continue.

I was at the OG game on Friday and felt it went well. Nice and sunny which likely helps prevent transmission which was great. I was surprised on how few wore masks in congested areas. We sat away from folks and took off our masks at that point and enjoyed the game. They had two concession areas open and they asked the students to use one of them to keep congestion down. As you said, band only at halftime which was the right thing to do, but a huge buzz kill. Better than no football, however.

My son has a JV game today and headed to brandon valley for that. So very thankful to live in a state who gets we need to learn to live with the virus, rather than letting the virus dictate our lives.

My biggest concern right now is the situations at USD and SDSU. Kids are young and don't get they they simply can't party like normal college kids; they are having huge outbreaks.

southcliffbison
08-31-2020, 02:24 PM
I was at the OG game on Friday and felt it went well. Nice and sunny which likely helps prevent transmission which was great. I was surprised on how few wore masks in congested areas. We sat away from folks and took off our masks at that point and enjoyed the game. They had two concession areas open and they asked the students to use one of them to keep congestion down. As you said, band only at halftime which was the right thing to do, but a huge buzz kill. Better than no football, however.

My son has a JV game today and headed to brandon valley for that. So very thankful to live in a state who gets we need to learn to live with the virus, rather than letting the virus dictate our lives.

My biggest concern right now is the situations at USD and SDSU. Kids are young and don't get they they simply can't party like normal college kids; they are having huge outbreaks.

Amen to your last couple comments; Do what you have to do to be safe. I am thankful that when I was college age, I didn't have to deal with what these youngsters have to deal with today.
One big difference regarding football administration is the move of the chain gang. The chain gang was always on the visitor's side of the field, now they're on the home team side of the field. The rationale is the SDHSAA didn't want the chain gang mixing with people from outside the home team's community. I don't think that makes much of a difference, but whatever !

IndyBison
09-02-2020, 03:26 AM
Amen to your last couple comments; Do what you have to do to be safe. I am thankful that when I was college age, I didn't have to deal with what these youngsters have to deal with today.
One big difference regarding football administration is the move of the chain gang. The chain gang was always on the visitor's side of the field, now they're on the home team side of the field. The rationale is the SDHSAA didn't want the chain gang mixing with people from outside the home team's community. I don't think that makes much of a difference, but whatever !Our chain gang hasn't moved. We haven't done anything different with ball mechanics. Teams are allowed to sanitize balls, but nobody has in my games. They extended time outs to 95 minutes to allow for more sanitization, but most teams are coming out close to the 60 second mark so we just go with it.

Attendance at games has been limited. Most coaches have masks, but they aren't always on. Lots of gators. It has largely felt normal. There have been some cancellations each week, but 80-85% of the games have been played. Most are a result of quarantine and not massive positive cases.

southcliffbison
09-02-2020, 04:04 AM
Our chain gang hasn't moved. We haven't done anything different with ball mechanics. Teams are allowed to sanitize balls, but nobody has in my games. They extended time outs to 95 minutes to allow for more sanitization, but most teams are coming out close to the 60 second mark so we just go with it.

Attendance at games has been limited. Most coaches have masks, but they aren't always on. Lots of gators. It has largely felt normal. There have been some cancellations each week, but 80-85% of the games have been played. Most are a result of quarantine and not massive positive cases.

Timeouts in SD are a full 2 minutes; includes scores after TD's and in between quarters. Like you said, if teams are ready to go, they run onto the field sooner then they would have to. We also allow a water break in SD (time on the clock under 7 minutes for each quarter), but this is temperature dictated, won't happen in October. I watched some Ohio high school football on ESPN on Saturday.....Pinkerton North vs Pinkerton Central. The umpire, after a down, would spot the ball using his bean bag. The ball carrier would hand/toss the football to the team's center. The center kept the football in his hands during the huddle, carried it to the LOS where the umpire had placed his bean bag, then snapped the ball. The officials (referee, line judge, head linesman, back judge, and umpire) never touched the football or so it seemed. It's amazing what high school associations are doing to keep the experience for everyone as safe as possible.

THEsocalledfan
09-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Timeouts in SD are a full 2 minutes; includes scores after TD's and in between quarters. Like you said, if teams are ready to go, they run onto the field sooner then they would have to. We also allow a water break in SD (time on the clock under 7 minutes for each quarter), but this is temperature dictated, won't happen in October. I watched some Ohio high school football on ESPN on Saturday.....Pinkerton North vs Pinkerton Central. The umpire, after a down, would spot the ball using his bean bag. The ball carrier would hand/toss the football to the team's center. The center kept the football in his hands during the huddle, carried it to the LOS where the umpire had placed his bean bag, then snapped the ball. The officials (referee, line judge, head linesman, back judge, and umpire) never touched the football or so it seemed. It's amazing what high school associations are doing to keep the experience for everyone as safe as possible.

Good idea, but contact transmission has been completely overblown.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0522-cdc-updates-covid-transmission.html#:~:text=Based%20on%20data%20from %20lab,the%20main%20way%20the%20virus

MankatoBison
09-08-2020, 02:30 PM
Good idea, but contact transmission has been completely overblown.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0522-cdc-updates-covid-transmission.html#:~:text=Based%20on%20data%20from %20lab,the%20main%20way%20the%20virus

How Dare you, Fan? How dare you share data contrary to the precious narrative? How DARE you, Sir!

GreenfieldBison
09-09-2020, 05:45 PM
College player dies of Covid complications. Does not say if they were actively practicing though so this might have nothing to do with football.

https://apple.news/AwUQdS-TIRwuQIPSjTkcqdw

bisonaudit
09-10-2020, 02:37 AM
But, young healthy people don’t get COVID.

ByeSonBusiness
09-10-2020, 02:53 AM
If high school and the Badass 3(P5-2 soft conferences) pull off successful seasons there is going to be some very notable job openings I think fairly soon lol

IndyBison
09-10-2020, 06:08 AM
College player dies of Covid complications. Does not say if they were actively practicing though so this might have nothing to do with football.

This team wasn't playing so I don't believe his contraction had anything to do with football.

How do we know he didn't have an underlying health condition? Even if he didn't, nobody has intelligently said young, healthy people CAN'T get critically ill form the virus. It's just extremely rare.

Bisonator98
09-10-2020, 12:28 PM

Central Catholic, Stephens' high school in Pittsburgh, initially believed he died from COVID-19 complications, though it stated Wednesday it "mistakenly attributed his death without official confirmation on cause," per Brad Everett of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Once again the media and others jumping the shark........

NDSU92
09-10-2020, 12:40 PM
Once again the media and others jumping the shark........

Super random question, sorry for the thread drift. But are privacy rights waived post-mortem? If he was alive they wouldn’t be allowed to identify him?

THEsocalledfan
09-16-2020, 02:19 PM
So, B1G is back. Will the Valley revisit the insane Spring idea?

Hammerhead
09-16-2020, 02:54 PM
How many players normally share a hotel room on road trips? There was something on College Gameday about one school that only had one player per room and another was two per room. Just the added costs for hotel rooms might be enough to convince many FCS teams not to play this fall.

NDGooch
09-16-2020, 03:23 PM
How many players normally share a hotel room on road trips? There was something on College Gameday about one school that only had one player per room and another was two per room. Just the added costs for hotel rooms might be enough to convince many FCS teams not to play this fall.

Plus the amount of buses that are being used to transport players has doubled. Duke used 6 when they went to Notre Dame, normally would have been 3. One team said they used 9. I know most teams that come to Fargo use two or three.

Bison bison
09-16-2020, 04:17 PM
Cripes.

Drop traveling rosters to 30 players. I don't give a crap.

The idea you can have multiple men in a room on trips, but have ZERO control 80% of the rest of the week is bogus.

NDSUstudent
09-16-2020, 04:18 PM
So, B1G is back. Will the Valley revisit the insane Spring idea?

Playoffs are going to be in the spring, there isn't really anything to revisit. The Big 10 is operating in a completely different landscape, the FBS didn't change its postseason.

Really FCS schools are too damn poor and disinterested to make it happen anyway at this point, it is the reality of being where we are.

THEsocalledfan
09-16-2020, 04:27 PM
Playoffs are going to be in the spring, there isn't really anything to revisit. The Big 10 is operating in a completely different landscape.

Why? And was the proposal ever approved? I've never seen confirmation, only the proposal for May 15 championship. There is still time for common sense like the B1G has shown.

southcliffbison
09-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Why? And was the proposal ever approved? I've never seen confirmation, only the proposal for May 15 championship. There is still time for common sense like the B1G has shown.

Will the PAC 10 follow suit? Or will they continue to be the pansies everyone knows and hates ???

NDSUstudent
09-16-2020, 04:35 PM

The Big 10 has resources to do whatever it takes and is motivated to compete in the FBS playoffs that never got pushed back. Two things that are very much lacking in the FCS world.

THEsocalledfan
09-16-2020, 04:37 PM
The Big 10 has resources to do whatever it takes and is motivated to compete in the FBS playoffs that never got pushed back. Two things that are very much lacking in the FCS world.

Folks can't afford $5 Abbot tests? And those playoffs can still be fixed and a Spring season was a nutty idea from the beginning due to many other issues.

NDSUstudent
09-16-2020, 04:54 PM
Folks can't afford $5 Abbot tests? And those playoffs can still be fixed and a Spring season was a nutty idea from the beginning due to many other issues.

There is no motivation to change on the FCS level at this point. Some states wouldn't even let teams practice at this point(CA and OR). We punted fall football, cheaper testing will just make it easier to happen in the spring. I don't like it but it is what it is.

The B1G has real motivation to compete against other power five leagues and was being pressured from the White House to play football.

NDSU92
09-16-2020, 05:04 PM

UND can’t afford knee braces or concussion caps for their players and they’re considered a well-funded FCS program. There is no money in FCS football for the vast majority of FCS programs. A lot of them probably look at this year as a way to save on travel/operations costs, especially if their FBS money games have already been canceled.

SDbison
09-16-2020, 06:30 PM
Time to move to FBS. The FCS spring games and playoffs are plain stupid. This whole COVID thing will help FBS to make FCS even more irrelevant. They might even push for FCS to stay in the spring. And with the soon to come anytime without penalty transfer rule FCS teams will become a feeder system for FBS teams that have holes to fill. This will especially affect great player development teams like NDSU.

MankatoBison
09-16-2020, 07:01 PM
Time to move to FBS. The FCS spring games and playoffs are plain stupid. This whole COVID thing will help FBS to make FCS even more irrelevant. They might even push for FCS to stay in the spring. And with the soon to come anytime without penalty transfer rule FCS teams will become a feeder system for FBS teams that have holes to fill. This will especially affect great player development teams like NDSU.

Fact check: True

However both of the conferences that we would have any realistic shot at joining have chosen not to play this fall. We would be in a similar situation anyways. doesnt mean what you said isnt true about the devaluation of FCS overall though.

THEsocalledfan
09-16-2020, 07:17 PM

However both of the conferences that we would have any realistic shot at joining have chosen not to play this fall. We would be in a similar situation anyways. doesnt mean what you said isnt true about the devaluation of FCS overall though.

Must spread rep; spot on. NDSU does not belong with all these losers.

NDSUstudent
09-16-2020, 07:45 PM

Completely agree, look around FCS football and we have virtually no peers here. Just a bunch of basketball or poorly funded schools that want to have a football program just to have one.

Meanwhile App State is playing on CBS this weekend...They and GSU got it right to get out. Only way to continue to grow our brand is to get out.

runtheoption
09-16-2020, 09:20 PM

We might have had a much better shot at putting together a darn near full slate of non-conference games this fall if we were in one of the G5 conferences. I'm on the FBS train. FCS sucks.

southcliffbison
09-16-2020, 09:38 PM
We might have had a much better shot at putting together a darn near full slate of non-conference games this fall if we were in one of the G5 conferences. I'm on the FBS train. FCS sucks.

Didn't think I would ever say this, but I'm now on the FBS train...…..move over, SDBison..

runtheoption
09-16-2020, 09:59 PM
Didn't think I would ever say this, but I'm now on the FBS train...…..move over, SDBison..

If a move to the FBS was announced, my yearly donation would increase substantially.

We are already one of the best resourced FCS programs, and I think to myself "I don't need to donate more. Is it going to make us a better FCS program than we already are. If so, who cares?" We've already been king turds of the shit pile for a decade.

23Bison
09-16-2020, 10:22 PM
If a move to the FBS was announced, my yearly donation would increase substantially.

We are already one of the best resourced FCS programs, and I think to myself "I don't need to donate more. Is it going to make us a better FCS program than we already are. If so, who cares?" We've already been king turds of the shit pile for a decade.
You mean to tell me people are donating to the football team? Why didn’t anyone tell me?!!!

southcliffbison
09-16-2020, 10:23 PM

My donation would increase also; if the FCS shit pile height rises from 10 ft. to 15ft in a few years; it will just stink worse than it already does.

No_Skill
09-17-2020, 01:54 AM

This is exactly where I'm at.

SDbison
09-17-2020, 11:26 AM
Didn't think I would ever say this, but I'm now on the FBS train...…..move over, SDBison.. About time you step up! I think many fans are coming around and it's time we let NDSU know we want more actions taken to get this done as soon as possible.

SDbison
09-17-2020, 11:33 AM

Can't agree more! Has anyone at NDSU researched the willingness for donations to increase if move to FBS made? Tired of the status quo and excuses. Too easy for current leaders to think small and do nothing.

THEsocalledfan
09-17-2020, 01:07 PM
Can't agree more! Has anyone at NDSU researched the willingness for donations to increase if move to FBS made? Tired of the status quo and excuses. Too easy for current leaders to think small and do nothing.

I'm fully with Dave on this. The pandemic really, really opened my eyes to just how crappy FCS as a whole, is. Yes, I kind of knew it, but my God, you are so stupid you don't even fight to play football in the fall over testing? Seriously, if NDSU said "hey, we want to play this fall, but we need folks to pony up to pay for it" the friggin' money train would have rolled in. How many other FCS school could even think of doing that?

Further, to play in Spring, you have put all your chips in the vaccine basket. What if a vaccine does not hit? You are going to be able to pay for testing then?

totoinfl
09-17-2020, 01:18 PM
I'm fully with Dave on this. The pandemic really, really opened my eyes to just how crappy FCS as a whole, is. Yes, I kind of knew it, but my God, you are so stupid you don't even fight to play football in the fall over testing? Seriously, if NDSU said "hey, we want to play this fall, but we need folks to pony up to pay for it" the friggin' money train would have rolled in. How many other FCS school could even think of doing that?

Further, to play in Spring, you have put all your chips in the vaccine basket. What if a vaccine does not hit? You are going to be able to pay for testing then?

If you believe the CDC...and that is a fairly big if, the vaccine won't be widely available until late 2nd quarter 2021...which pretty much means spring football is basically as big a risk as fall football.

wisco4
09-17-2020, 02:31 PM
If you believe the CDC...and that is a fairly big if, the vaccine won't be widely available until late 2nd quarter 2021...which pretty much means spring football is basically as big a risk as fall football.

But now Redfield states that masks are more of a protection than a vaccine.:blush:

southcliffbison
09-17-2020, 03:01 PM

Imagine this: If the Bresciani and Larsen regime were in power back in 2002 and 2003 instead of Gene and Joe when NDSU was contemplating the move out of D2, the shit show that would have occurred ? I doubt NDSU would have moved when they did. With those weak-kneed lillies in charge, NDSU would have waited until the undies were ready to move also. After all, they wouldn't have done anything to upset our "neighbors" to the north...…..it just wouldn't have been cricket.

MNLonghorn10
09-17-2020, 03:03 PM

It’s been a sinking ship for years, I think I used that analogy back in 2015.

When there’s more Ford pick ups for sale parked on one side of the field than fans, you know you’re in an atmosphere equivalent to ND high school football. Probably class A or whatever

SDbison
09-17-2020, 05:36 PM
Imagine this: If the Bresciani and Larsen regime were in power back in 2002 and 2003 instead of Gene and Joe when NDSU was contemplating the move out of D2, the shit show that would have occurred ? I doubt NDSU would have moved when they did. With those weak-kneed lillies in charge, NDSU would have waited until the undies were ready to move also. After all, they wouldn't have done anything to upset our "neighbors" to the north...…..it just wouldn't have been cricket. How true! Then again just think how much further, if not already done, our move to FBS would be with Chapman and Taylor in charge. Bresciani and Larsen are weak and afraid to be true leaders.

Son of a Bison
09-17-2020, 05:41 PM
Purple - After our UCA game Radunz should grad transfer up and finish rest of season with one of the restart FBS teams.

NDSUstudent
09-17-2020, 11:02 PM
Purple - After our UCA game Radunz should grad transfer up and finish rest of season with one of the restart FBS teams.

He just needs to play the UCA game and go into combine mode...no reason to do anything else.

NDSUstudent
09-17-2020, 11:04 PM
It’s been a sinking ship for years, I think I used that analogy back in 2015.

When there’s more Ford pick ups for sale parked on one side of the field than fans, you know you’re in an atmosphere equivalent to ND high school football. Probably class A or whatever

The FCS died when App State and GSU left. When they left I said we would never replace them and nothing has come close outside of Coastal Carolina getting good for a bit but then they left. Eventually JMU will move on as well, only a matter of time.

bisonaudit
09-18-2020, 12:52 AM
Imagine this: If the Bresciani and Larsen regime were in power back in 2002 and 2003 instead of Gene and Joe when NDSU was contemplating the move out of D2, the shit show that would have occurred ? I doubt NDSU would have moved when they did. With those weak-kneed lillies in charge, NDSU would have waited until the undies were ready to move also. After all, they wouldn't have done anything to upset our "neighbors" to the north...…..it just wouldn't have been cricket.

What a crock. We moved up last time when 1) we had more money than we could spend in DII and 2) we determined we could raise enough additional money to compete in DI. Prove to me both of those things are true today.

THEsocalledfan
09-18-2020, 12:19 PM
What a crock. We moved up last time when 1) we had more money than we could spend in DII and 2) we determined we could raise enough additional money to compete in DI. Prove to me both of those things are true today.

Audit, you want to stay with these pud losers? Its a flippin' joke at this point. (BTW, my thanks to Longhorn for the pud loser line.....)

southcliffbison
09-18-2020, 02:19 PM

Who in the hell mentioned anything about money? except you. I was talking about the leadership (or lack thereof) at the top of the NDSU food chain...….then and now. A question for BV: Who would you like to see having the keys to the Cadillac for a move to FBS? Gene and Joe OR Bresciani and Larsen ………...Runtheoption mentioned money and increasing his donations if a move up was in the foreseeable future, DIPSHIT , not I. Move your teleprompter closer or crawl back in your hole.

SlickVic
09-18-2020, 02:30 PM

yes, sir! if the week need lillies dont secure a waiver to join the "mountain" they should be furloughed effective 10-4-20 until the next football game is played. POINT BLANK AND THE PERIOD!!!!!!!!! this is rediculous

southcliffbison
09-18-2020, 02:43 PM
yes, sir! if the week need lillies dont secure a waiver to join the "mountain" they should be furloughed effective 10-4-20 until the next football game is played. POINT BLANK AND THE PERIOD!!!!!!!!! this is rediculous

What are you smokin' ? Slick ......... share?

Trim
09-18-2020, 03:03 PM
What are you smokin' ? Slick ......... share?

Made perfect sense to me... then again, I'm fluent in gibberish

SlickVic
09-18-2020, 03:16 PM
Made perfect sense to me... then again, I'm fluent in gibberish

trim diddy------------1252 tamara (saturday) at the buitiful bois de sioux----------b there or b square! best wishes and regards

Hammerhead
09-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Until the Big Ten decided to play football, 9 of the top 20 in the Sagarin ratings wouldn't even be competing this year.

MNLonghorn10
09-18-2020, 06:46 PM
RIP Houston vs Baylor tomorrow

Not because of an outbreak on either team..but due to contact tracing for Baylor and local officials.

lol

Hammerhead
09-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Georgia Southern also had a game postponed. https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/us/baylor-houston-spt-trnd/index.html