PDA

View Full Version : Matt Larsen on ESPNU this morning

tony
07-23-2020, 01:25 PM
Had to run an errand and, what do you know, ESPNU radio had Matt Larsen on while I was out and about!

I might get some of this wrong but:

He's open to spring football because it would be so much better, revenue-wise and safety-wise, to have fans and stuff than to have, say, 20% capacity in the middle of a pandemic
He did a good job of describing NDSU's situation
NDSU is really different than the rest of the FCS because NDSU depends on football ticket/donation revenue but other programs are almost entirely dependent on institutional support... so NDSU really stands to get screwed if there is no football
The NCAA is going to decide shortly whether to have fall championships at all

I missed quite a bit of the interview but I thought that Matt Larsen really did a good job of representing NDSU.

ndsubison1
07-23-2020, 02:36 PM
I still think spring football is a pie in the sky idea. Juco might be able to get away with it.

El_Chapo
07-23-2020, 03:35 PM
hate spring football.
Play Now. Play Conference. 8 team FCS playoff field in December.
Boom Done.

ByeSonBusiness
07-23-2020, 03:56 PM
hate spring football.
Play Now. Play Conference. 8 team FCS playoff field in December.
Boom Done.

Not sure how you can have an 8 team field.

Honeybooboo
07-23-2020, 03:57 PM
Spring FB does zero for Seniors with NFL aspirations FYI, they wont play anyway

NCAA is July 31st deadline for a decision on Fall sports from what im told

tony
07-23-2020, 04:02 PM
Spring FB does zero for Seniors with NFL aspirations FYI, they wont play anyway

NCAA is July 31st deadline for a decision on Fall sports from what im told

Larsen and the guys on ESPNU were hoping that they would wait until their August meeting to make a decision on fall sport championships. I'm guessing that's because they hope that things will improve by then. I mean, if the NCAA makes a decision now with the way things are going, they'd almost certainly vote to cancel them ( the fall sport championships, that is.)

Honeybooboo
07-23-2020, 04:31 PM
Larsen and the guys on ESPNU were hoping that they would wait until their August meeting to make a decision on fall sport championships. I'm guessing that's because they hope that things will improve by then. I mean, if the NCAA makes a decision now with the way things are going, they'd almost certainly vote to cancel them ( the fall sport championships, that is.)

maybe, just what I was told from a very reliable source is July 31st is the end all

56BISON73
07-23-2020, 04:54 PM

I just dont believe this. How can this be when we just had a member post that Larsen was sitting on his hand doing nothing????? :frog:

El_Chapo
07-23-2020, 05:06 PM
Not sure how you can have an 8 team field.

8 best combo of rankings/records? pretty simple for the committee

mnriverbison
07-23-2020, 05:20 PM
NDSU is really different than the rest of the FCS because NDSU depends on football ticket/donation revenue but other programs are almost entirely dependent on institutional support... so NDSU really stands to get screwed if there is no football.

Seems bad for us in this case

tony
07-23-2020, 05:26 PM
maybe, just what I was told from a very reliable source is July 31st is the end all

Not saying that they won't make the decision, just that it'd be better for the chances of an FCS playoff it they waited.

They don't meet on July 31st so the NCAA Board of Governors would have to make that call during their meeting tomorrow.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/news/board-of-governors-might-cancel-fall-championships

HerdBot
07-23-2020, 06:17 PM
Spring football is a bad idea. All the players would be beat up and then they have to play again in September. Having a non conference in 2021 would be physically taxing

SDbison
07-23-2020, 06:41 PM
I just dont believe this. How can this be when we just had a member post that Larsen was sitting on his hand doing nothing????? :frog:
He is still doing nothing. Obviously you suck up to anything or nothing they are doing. Spring football would be a disaster.

El_Chapo
07-23-2020, 06:49 PM
He is still doing nothing. Obviously you suck up to anything or nothing they are doing. Spring football would be a disaster.

a espnu poducer guy reaches out to NDSU and Matt jumps in and says i'll go on the radio!

he should be calling FBS teams to play in September, lets be the leader for once.

THEsocalledfan
07-23-2020, 06:54 PM
Can we just stop this spring football bullshit? Now?

You play or you don't; f^%$ spring football. I don't care if there is only 8 teams, play this fall. This is not complicated.

TAILG8R
07-23-2020, 06:59 PM
Tony, do you remember which show/host he was on with?

El_Chapo
07-23-2020, 07:03 PM
Can we just stop this spring football bullshit? Now?

You play or you don't; f^%$ spring football. I don't care if there is only 8 teams, play this fall. This is not complicated.

THANK YOU!

if only 4-5 FCS conferences play conference only football, grab the 8 top teams, have a Playoff. Put an asterisk by it for all I care

OrygunBison
07-23-2020, 08:54 PM
he should be calling FBS teams to play in September, lets be the leader for once.

Dude, I really want to know how you know, without a doubt, that he hasn't done that already and isn't continuing to do so. For the 100th fucking time, your lack of knowledge shouldn't help you to come to ANY conclusions, whether it is behind the scenes football scheduling, facemasks, or that haircut...

OrygunBison
07-23-2020, 08:55 PM

Did Pat hurt your feelings? I'll ask him to be more nice from now on.

Grizzled
07-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Every college will be impacted equally if their cash cow sport is cancelled. NDSUs just happens to be football, that is where they are different than the rest of FCS. We are in a hurtbag with anything less than full attendance allowed. The athletic dept can’t make anymore cuts to women’s sports or scholarships as they have done in years past. Some men’s sports would see something cut.

WhoRepsTheLurker
07-23-2020, 09:06 PM
Every college will be impacted equally if their cash cow sport is cancelled. NDSUs just happens to be football, that is where they are different than the rest of FCS. We are in a hurtbag with anything less than full attendance allowed. The athletic dept can’t make anymore cuts to women’s sports or scholarships as they have done in years past. Some men’s sports would see something cut.

That’s not really true, though. ADs with bigger state appropriations will feel less pain compared to those who rely on sales, donations, etc.

In the case of NDSU, boosters would have to make up the difference to maintain the status quo

abc123
07-23-2020, 09:18 PM
That’s not really true, though. ADs with bigger state appropriations will feel less pain compared to those who rely on sales, donations, etc.

In the case of NDSU, boosters would have to make up the difference to maintain the status quo

Because state appropriations aren't going to be cut significantly or what?

WhoRepsTheLurker
07-23-2020, 09:41 PM
Because state appropriations aren't going to be cut significantly or what?

Correct, especially for you. Let's come back after the dust settles and compare notes

Twincitybizon
07-24-2020, 12:31 AM
Do we think this could be the great equalizer that brings us back to Earth. Covid leads to finding issues and the team loses cohesion from some weird combo of guys staying extra years freshman leaving or not coming in because of no campus visits. This is very concerning

BisonNeil
07-24-2020, 12:58 AM
We are in a hurtbag with anything less than full attendance allowed. The athletic dept can’t make anymore cuts to women’s sports or scholarships as they have done in years past. Some men’s sports would see something cut.

Unless true Bison fans buy their tickets even if they can’t attend because of pre-existing conditions, which is what I intend to do.

WhoRepsTheLurker
07-24-2020, 01:05 AM
Unless true Bison fans buy their tickets even if they can’t attend because of pre-existing conditions, which is what I intend to do.

How do you rep someone on this site?

Kevin
07-24-2020, 01:13 AM
How do you rep someone on this site?

First you send me 1/12th of a bitcoin then I give 1/12th of that to Tony who manually adds the rep in the backend of the prehistoric phpbb software.

RonMexico
07-24-2020, 02:54 PM
Dude, I really want to know how you know, without a doubt, that he hasn't done that already and isn't continuing to do so. For the 100th fucking time, your lack of knowledge shouldn't help you to come to ANY conclusions, whether it is behind the scenes football scheduling, facemasks, or that haircut...

Hey, don't you know that NDSU is the MECCA of college football? Any team in the country would give their left nut to be granted the privilege of playing NDSU. I mean Matt Larson has got the easiest job in the world. All he has to do is pick up the phone, call any team in the country and say "I'm Matt Larsen with NDSU and we want a game" and any other AD in the county would reply back "Well give us a date and name your price. We would gladly pay you any price for the honor of playing the mighty Bison."

NDSU92
07-24-2020, 03:58 PM
Do we think this could be the great equalizer that brings us back to Earth. Covid leads to finding issues and the team loses cohesion from some weird combo of guys staying extra years freshman leaving or not coming in because of no campus visits. This is very concerning

No. If anything in the long run it probably helps us. This/next year might be interesting, but my thoughts on adversity are that those with additional resources, competence and resiliency will really excel.

tony
07-24-2020, 04:41 PM
Tony, do you remember which show/host he was on with?

No, all I know is that he was on between 8 and 9 am EST.

56BISON73
07-24-2020, 05:58 PM

Who receives the revenue from ticket sales? Is there a split with the Dome?

roadwarrior
07-24-2020, 06:37 PM
Who receives the revenue from ticket sales? Is there a split with the Dome?

Pretty sure at most the Fargodome gets $1 per ticket.

Bison bison
07-27-2020, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure at most the Fargodome gets $1 per ticket.

You mean we don't give them all of our revenue and then hope to get something back?

Interesting...