PDA

View Full Version : All-time College Football Win Streak

HandoEX
06-18-2020, 03:39 PM
The Bison are ten wins short of Oklahoma’s record of 47 straight and no thread. What gives?

Couldn’t find any info on NAIA, DIII, or DII win streaks. Anyone know the longest winning streaks at these levels?

I give it an 80% chance the Bison get to 48 straight wins.

tony
06-18-2020, 03:54 PM
As far as I can tell:

DII is 40 by Grand Valley State
DIII is 55 by Mount Union
NAIA is 42 by Sioux Falls

The two longest active win streaks are NDSU and Morningside (29?) - I remember when Morningside streaks rarely got past one game.

You are a lot more confident about the Oregon game than I am, that's for sure. :)

HerdistheWord
06-18-2020, 04:03 PM
I agree. Oregon is a big question mark. I give it a 20% chance. Even if the team manages to gut it out at Oregon, there is always the potential for a one-off, let-down game. I don’t think NC A&T will be a cakewalk either.

HandoEX
06-18-2020, 04:12 PM
As far as I can tell:

The two longest active win streaks are NDSU and Morningside (29?) - I remember when Morningside streaks rarely got past one game.

You are a lot more confident about the Oregon game than I am, that's for sure. :)
Damn, so a long ways to go to get to Mount Union’s 55 game streak. I give it a 79.5% chance that NDSU will hold the all-time win streak by 2021.

1998braves64
06-18-2020, 05:42 PM
The Bison are ten wins short of Oklahoma’s record of 47 straight and no thread. What gives?

Couldn’t find any info on NAIA, DIII, or DII win streaks. Anyone know the longest winning streaks at these levels?

I give it an 80% chance the Bison get to 48 straight wins.Thought lakes had one going? Or was that just postings in some random thread. Know it has been posted at least.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Hammersmith
06-18-2020, 06:35 PM
As far as I can tell:

I bet a big chunk of his 80% is that the game(or season) won't be played at all. We're losing COVID containment out here and it's unknown how the political leaders will respond. Will they try to completely re-contain it, or will they acknowledge that the genie's out of the bottle and just try to keep things at a low boil until the vaccine is ready? If it's the former, I don't know if the game's getting played.

tony
06-18-2020, 08:27 PM
Speaking of streaks, NDSU has multi-game losing streaks to only six existing football programs. And if the game with Drake goes through, that number should drop by one.

The despicable six: Idaho (3), Michigan State (2), Wisconsin (2), Drake (2), Gustavus (2), and Hamline (2).

And if only NDSU could get Idaho in the playoffs...

The most recent game with any of the other four teams was played in 1947 and the future isn't looking good for getting those teams on the schedule.

IzzyFlexion
06-18-2020, 08:59 PM
Somewhat related...…….

Only 1 program has a winning record against the Bison in NDSU's D1 era.

HONOR SYSTEM: Who can name this team without looking through the archives?

WeAreThePride
06-18-2020, 09:18 PM
Somewhat related...…….

UNI, and if I recall correctly they're only up by 1.

tony
06-18-2020, 09:28 PM
UNI, and if I recall correctly they're only up by 1.

In the DI era, NDSU is up 9-4. NDSU finally got up 1 on them in the all-time series this year 27-26 (UNI only has 7 wins against NDSU in the last 50 seasons.)

I'm pretty good at remembering who beat NDSU (and why it was a travesty) so I'll sit this one out.

But I have a related question: Since going DI, NDSU doesn't have a losing record to any team they've met more than once. They do have a .500 record against two teams (both at 1-1)... one team is Iowa State. Who is the other?

WeAreThePride
06-18-2020, 09:31 PM
In the DI era, NDSU is up 9-4. NDSU finally got up 1 on them in the all-time series this year 27-26 (UNI only has 7 wins against NDSU in the last 50 seasons.)

I'm pretty good at remembering who beat NDSU (and why it was a travesty) so I'll sit this one out.

But I have a related question: Since going DI, NDSU doesn't have a losing record to any team they've met more than once. They do have a .500 record against two teams (both at 1-1)... one team is Iowa State. Who is the other?

Huh, that's a head scratcher. Montana maybe? Both in '15?

WeAreThePride
06-18-2020, 09:33 PM
The D1 losing record has to be nonconference, and not a playoff game.

bisonforever
06-18-2020, 09:38 PM

I would say Montana? As I can only think of 2 games against them in the D1 era. My memory may not as good as it used be though.

SDbison
06-18-2020, 09:49 PM
I bet a big chunk of his 80% is that the game(or season) won't be played at all. We're losing COVID containment out here and it's unknown how the political leaders will respond. Will they try to completely re-contain it, or will they acknowledge that the genie's out of the bottle and just try to keep things at a low boil until the vaccine is ready? If it's the former, I don't know if the game's getting played. 100% disagree.

tony
06-18-2020, 09:56 PM
I would say Montana? As I can only think of 2 games against them in the D1 era. My memory may not as good as it used be though.

They played in 2014 too... the five field goal game where 450 yards only got us 22 points. So that was kind of a forgettable game - defense was really good though.

Edit: I can't find this game on youtube. Rats.

tony
06-18-2020, 09:57 PM
The D1 losing record has to be nonconference, and not a playoff game.

Yep on both counts.

WeAreThePride
06-18-2020, 10:09 PM
Yep on both counts.

Cal Poly? I think we had a few bad games against them in the first couple years of D1. Can't remember how many total games have happened though.

IzzyFlexion
06-18-2020, 10:18 PM
Cal Poly? I think we had a few bad games against them in the first couple years of D1. Can't remember how many total games have happened though.

No.

Not Cal-Poly.

heffray
06-18-2020, 10:22 PM
Somewhat related...…….

Does FBS count? If so, I believe it's Wyoming?

IzzyFlexion
06-18-2020, 10:29 PM
Does FBS count? If so, I believe it's Wyoming?

You are correct, sir.

tony
06-19-2020, 07:09 PM
So, since NDSU joined DI, the following team has a winning record against NDSU: Wyoming (1-0)

The only teams to manage .500 records against NDSU during the DI era are Iowa State and.... drum roll... Northern Colorado (!?!), both 1-1.

I think my favorite active streak is NDSU's 9-year win streak against the FCS runner-up.

2011BisonAlumni
06-19-2020, 07:19 PM
Somewhat related...…….

Bison played Wyoming in the 2008 season and lost. I never remember playing another game.

WeAreThePride
06-19-2020, 07:21 PM
So, since NDSU joined DI, the following team has a winning record against NDSU: Wyoming (1-0)

The only teams to manage .500 records against NDSU during the DI era are Iowa State and.... drum roll... Northern Colorado (!?!), both 1-1.

I think my favorite active streak is NDSU's 9-year win streak against the FCS runner-up.

I'll be damned.

LOL, I had to think about that one for a second, but it's true!

heffray
06-19-2020, 07:33 PM
You are correct, sir.

What do I win?

56BISON73
06-19-2020, 08:01 PM

Northern Colorado??????? I dont even remember playing them????

roadwarrior
06-19-2020, 08:13 PM
Northern Colorado??????? I dont even remember playing them????

2004 and 2005

Lost in Greeley in 2004 13-15. UNC scored 5 field goals. Steve Walker came in as QB late in the game when we were down 15-0 and almost turned it around.

The following year we won 44-0 in the Fargodome.

SoCalBison
06-19-2020, 09:16 PM
100% disagree.

Huh? Hammersmith said he didn't know what was going to happen. Do you think he really does know, and is just keeping it from us?

56BISON73
06-20-2020, 01:36 AM
2004 and 2005

Lost in Greeley in 2004 13-15. UNC scored 5 field goals. Steve Walker came in as QB late in the game when we were down 15-0 and almost turned it around.

The following year we won 44-0 in the Fargodome.

I reconnected in 2005. So that makes sense. Thanks for the info!