PDA

View Full Version : Proud of our coaching staff and team

MankatoBison
06-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Please do not get into Hot debates here. I'm just passing on that I heard Matt entz on Hero sports podcast and they talked for maybe 3-5 mins on the situation out there, and I have to say, I think the NDSU staff, and players are handling this incredibly well. EXTREMELY respectful. No talk of "racists!" or "thugs" or whatever. All very POSITIVE, very much about building each other up as opposed to tearing down the "other side".

Just very impressed, most everyone out there is putting out statements and they can hardly avoid doing personal attacks against the "other side". I havent seen a single instance of that within the Staff or the team. Which is the way it should be. Proud of the men involved in our program. In a time that is as emotionally charged as any in our history, I feel they've been able to keep level headed and be as positive as any group or organization out there. Props to them

HerdistheWord
06-05-2020, 02:57 PM
Please do not get into Hot debates here. I'm just passing on that I heard Matt entz on Hero sports podcast and they talked for maybe 3-5 mins on the situation out there, and I have to say, I think the NDSU staff, and players are handling this incredibly well. EXTREMELY respectful. No talk of "racists!" or "thugs" or whatever. All very POSITIVE, very much about building each other up as opposed to tearing down the "other side".

Just very impressed, most everyone out there is putting out statements and they can hardly avoid doing personal attacks against the "other side". I havent seen a single instance of that within the Staff or the team. Which is the way it should be. Proud of the men involved in our program. In a time that is as emotionally charged as any in our history, I feel they've been able to keep level headed and be as positive as any group or organization out there. Props to them

The most important part of this is voicing your opinion WITHOUT putting other people down. There may be reasonable arguments on the other side that you shouldn’t be dismissive about. People respectfully challenging beliefs is what helps us to grow. We all need friends that oppose our views, otherwise it is easy to get sucked into the realm of group think. Being respectful to others leaves the door open for a reasonable discussion of opposing views.

Hammerhead
06-05-2020, 03:11 PM
I'm almost afraid to make any kind of comment because things can be taken the wrong way (Just ask Drew Brees how his week has been), but then some people say silence is denying a problem.

Professor Chaos
06-05-2020, 04:25 PM
Listen more. Talk less. Do more.

oldmantutters
06-05-2020, 06:01 PM
Listen more. Talk less. Do more.I prefer Conversate more. Do better.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ndsubison1
06-05-2020, 07:06 PM
Sorry but I dont agree with groupthink. This is one of those issues that if you're not on the "right" side you get lectured and labeled names.

I will never apologize for I am. I will leave it at that out of respect for Bisonville/NDSU.

Hammerhead
06-05-2020, 09:12 PM
All I know is that my outlook on race relations when I bunked with two Vietnamese brothers on a travelling soccer team one summer in high school. I can't imagine what they went through before being shipped to America and then always being treated differently.

bisonaudit
06-06-2020, 02:08 AM
I'm almost afraid to make any kind of comment because things can be taken the wrong way (Just ask Drew Brees how his week has been), but then some people say silence is denying a problem.

I think even now, Brew Brees understands what the problem was with what Drew Brees said. It’s not that hard to understand. Open your ears and your heart.

Tony Almeida
06-06-2020, 06:35 PM
I think even now, Brew Brees understands what the problem was with what Drew Brees said. It’s not that hard to understand. Open your ears and your heart.I'll just say no comment for my comment.

DCinOK
06-06-2020, 09:04 PM
I think even now, Brew Brees understands what the problem was with what Drew Brees said. It’s not that hard to understand. Open your ears and your heart.

My ears and heart are open, as is my mouth...as I had to vomit at your comment. Ill condemn anyone who performs any kind of "protest" during the anthem and when my flag is being honored. It's not that hard.

EC8CH
06-06-2020, 09:25 PM
My ears and heart are open, as is my mouth...as I had to vomit at your comment. Ill condemn anyone who performs any kind of "protest" during the anthem and when my flag is being honored. It's not that hard.

Why'd you put protest in quotes?

bisonaudit
06-07-2020, 01:08 AM

It’s not just your flag.

HerdistheWord
06-07-2020, 02:10 AM

I think the people criticizing Drew Brees are a bit hypocritical. He voiced his opinion about an action based on what the flag means and represents to him. He got criticized heavily for not understanding what that action meant to other people. However, at the same time, those other people failed to listen and understand what that action meant to him.

WeAreThePride
06-07-2020, 03:10 AM

Could you clarify what your problem is with what Brees said?

WeAreThePride
06-07-2020, 03:11 AM
I think the people criticizing Drew Brees are a bit hypocritical. He voiced his opinion about an action based on what the flag means and represents to him. He got criticized heavily for not understanding what that action meant to other people. However, at the same time, those other people failed to listen and understand what that action meant to him.

An honest conversation is not being sought. You must shut up and listen, and apologize for the color of your skin.

56BISON73
06-07-2020, 04:00 AM
An honest conversation is not being sought. You must shut up and listen, and apologize for the color of your skin.

Not to mention the faction who demands that we be more tolerant arent very tolerant of other people views at all.

bisonaudit
06-07-2020, 06:02 AM

No one accused him of disrespecting anyone either.

bisonaudit
06-07-2020, 06:04 AM
Could you clarify what your problem is with what Brees said?

Nothing, anymore.

123Gobison
06-07-2020, 07:04 AM
https://www.npr.org/2020/06/05/870862116/the-unresolved-legacy-of-reconstruction

Bisman
06-07-2020, 08:05 AM

Colin Kaepernick has a retweet on his twitter account with a picture of Drew Brees and the caption: This shows you that there are a lot of people & companies out there right now that will say they stand with us but only do it so they dont get bashed not because they mean it. https://twitter.com/kaepernick7

His latest tweet:

When civility leads to death, revolting is the only logical reaction.

The cries for peace will rain down, and when they do, they will land on deaf ears, because your violence has brought this resistance.

We have the right to fight back!

Rest in Power George Floyd

bisonaudit
06-07-2020, 10:27 AM
Pinned tweet from May 29, not his latest, just for clarification.

Also, not sure what this has to do with our players and staff joining a peaceful demonstration.

DCinOK
06-07-2020, 12:55 PM
The only thing that can derail another Bison NC is Cancel Culture. Any of our guys express pro-police, or pro-respect the flag and anthem sentiments...or, God forbid, "like" a non-Liberal-approved post on social media...they will be attacked..their season and life ruined. Brees was right at first....stand and respect the flag and anthem...then he caved like a wuss due to Liberal Cancel Culture.

bisonaudit
06-07-2020, 01:07 PM
The only thing that can derail another Bison NC is Cancel Culture. Any of our guys express pro-police, or pro-respect the flag and anthem sentiments...or, God forbid, "like" a non-Liberal-approved post on social media...they will be attacked..their season and life ruined. Brees was right at first....stand and respect the flag and anthem...then he caved like a wuss due to Liberal Cancel Culture.

Or, you know, he listened to his teammates and acted as a humble leader should.

bisonaudit
06-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Also, can you explain for me the difference between Liberal Cancel Culture and what happened with say, Kaepernick or The Dixie Chicks?

DCinOK
06-07-2020, 01:15 PM
It’s not just your flag.

Oh wow, that's profound...that it's not just my flag. Thing is, I love it like it's just mine...as if all the great things it stands for and all the patriots who fought for it are now looking just to me...little 'ol me...to defend it...and condemn anyone who doesn't honor it when it is displayed. Kneeling during the anthem to protest this or that in America...when instead you should be standing and looking at YOUR flag with hand on heart...I'll condemn that nonsense with God on my side, thank you very much. I wish every American had the decency to say that is MY flag. For some reason, my claim on the flag troubled you...strange.

Know whose flag it is not? It's not Colin Kaepernick's flag...he told us that when he said, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." That's where this athlete-kneeling crap began. Now Brees bows down to Liberal Cancel Culture and says that kneeling during the anthem is "not about the flag?" He's delusional...It has ALWAYS been about disrespecting the flag.

DCinOK
06-07-2020, 01:20 PM
Why'd you put protest in quotes?

Because I think their "protest" during the National Anthem is a joke. I'm pissed that abortion is legal in America. Yet see, I don't express that pissed off position during the American National Anthem. I'm free to go protest at an abortion "clinic," you know...the appropriate venue for that. Here's another example of my using quotes...the JMU football "dynasty."

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Brees wasn't criticized for why he stands, he was criticized for not listening to why others kneel and instead ascribing his own explanation of their motivations. I respect why he stands and the meaning he takes from the anthem, I did not respect him trying to take away the meaning from others of why they kneel.

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 01:27 PM
Because I think their "protest" during the National Anthem is a joke. I'm pissed that abortion is legal in America. Yet see, I don't express that pissed off position during the American National Anthem. I'm free to go protest at an abortion "clinic," you know...the appropriate venue for that. Here's another example of my using quotes...the JMU football "dynasty."

That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

DCinOK
06-07-2020, 01:33 PM
Also, can you explain for me the difference between Liberal Cancel Culture and what happened with say, Kaepernick or The Dixie Chicks?

Oh, do Conservatives voice their disgust by not buying Dixie Chicks CDs, or by vowing to never watch an NFL game as long as Kaepernick's followers disrespect the American flag? Of course they do. Kaepernick wasn't left off NFL rosters because of that, though he'd like to think so. He was a marginal guarterback. If you think that what happened in 200 flippin' 3 with the Dixie Chicks and what is a legitimate disgust with Kaepernick's pissing on the flag ...if that equates with the modern Liberal Cancel Culture...well, we live in two different worlds. At least the Dixie Chicks had the balls to stand by their position, I'll say that.
Drew Brees? Nope.

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 01:34 PM
I'll condemn that nonsense with God on my side, thank you very much.

Your God seems nice.

WeAreThePride
06-07-2020, 01:37 PM
Or, you know, he listened to his teammates and acted as a humble leader should.

You mean his teammates told him to shut the fuck up, and he caved? What a leader.

You're not allowed to have an opinion.

WeAreThePride
06-07-2020, 01:39 PM
Brees wasn't criticized for why he stands, he was criticized for not listening to why others kneel and instead ascribing his own explanation of their motivations. I respect why he stands and the meaning he takes from the anthem, I did not respect him trying to take away the meaning from others of why they kneel.

Brees stated why he stands for the flag, and what he thinks of while the Anthem plays. He didn't assign any motivation to the kneelers.

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Brees stated why he stands for the flag, and what he thinks of while the Anthem plays. He didn't assign any motivation to the kneelers.

"I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag".

DCinOK
06-07-2020, 01:41 PM

So you'd be happy with the playing of the National Anthem at all events...high school, college, pro sports..whenever it is played...to become The Showtime of Grievances for all Americans. We all have something we see as wrong in America...something we're pissed about that is happening in this country....and it's okay for us to turn the time for the The National Anthem into a Showtime of Grievances? Oh look, there's DCinOK sitting down during the Anthem cuz he's against abortion in America, there's Sally giving the middle finger to the American flag because she thinks women are oppressed in America, there's Tommy the local Nazi giving a Heil Hitler salute during the anthem because he's pissed about....well, who knows what Tommy the local Nazi is pissed about.
No...the playing of the Anthem and the display of the American flag is NOT the time to air your grievances about America.

DCinOK
06-07-2020, 01:44 PM
Your God seems nice.

He's the best. And He's a Bison fan.

WeAreThePride
06-07-2020, 01:46 PM
"I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag".

What motivation did he assign? Kneeling is disrespectful. That's why they do it, to draw attention to their cause. If it wasn't an intentional act of disrespect, they wouldn't be doing it at all.

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 01:46 PM
He's the best. And He's a Bison fan.

Either that or we've made a deal with the devil.

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 01:50 PM
What motivation did he assign? Kneeling is disrespectful. That's why they do it, to draw attention to their cause. If it wasn't an intentional act of disrespect, they wouldn't be doing it at all.

Kneeling is disrespectful because you are saying it is. The flag can't tell you it feels disrespected. Instead of listening to why they kneel you are ascribing the motivation of disrespect, just like Brees did previously.

Do you know why they kneel vs sitting or something else?

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 01:58 PM
So you'd be happy with the playing of the National Anthem at all events...high school, college, pro sports..whenever it is played...to become The Showtime of Grievances for all Americans. We all have something we see as wrong in America...something we're pissed about that is happening in this country....and it's okay for us to turn the time for the The National Anthem into a Showtime of Grievances? Oh look, there's DCinOK sitting down during the Anthem cuz he's against abortion in America, there's Sally giving the middle finger to the American flag because she thinks women are oppressed in America, there's Tommy the local Nazi giving a Heil Hitler salute during the anthem because he's pissed about....well, who knows what Tommy the local Nazi is pissed about.
No...the playing of the Anthem and the display of the American flag is NOT the time to air your grievances about America.

Sure. Freedom of speech is more important to me than required obedience. I will say if you choose a controversial method of protest you better have a well reasoned explanation of your cause. For me at least that's what really matters.

NDSU92
06-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Kneeling is disrespectful because you are saying it is. The flag can't tell you it feels disrespected. Instead of listening to why they kneel you are ascribing the motivation of disrespect, just like Brees did previously.

Do you know why they kneel vs sitting or something else?

Kaepernick originally sat until he had a conversation with a teammate (ex-green beret) who told him sitting was disrespectful and kneeling would be seen as less so.

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 02:06 PM
Kaepernick originally sat until he had a conversation with a teammate (ex-green beret) who told him sitting was disrespectful and kneeling would be seen as less so.

Why did he saying kneeling was better?

scottietohottie
06-07-2020, 02:08 PM
These guys are so right that they feel the need to infect another thread. Point taken.

NDSU92
06-07-2020, 02:13 PM
Why did he saying kneeling was better?

The article I read said that Boyer (the ex-green beret) told him that’s what soldiers do alongside the graves of fallen soldiers.

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 02:16 PM
These guys are so right that they feel the need to infect another thread. Point taken.

Just turn on the talk radio... You'll be safe there ;)

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 02:18 PM
The article I read said that Boyer (the ex-green beret) told him that’s what soldiers do alongside the graves of fallen soldiers.

That's my understanding as well. For me I can appreciate a certain amount of symbolism there and the fact he was willing to change how he was expressing his protest gives me a better understanding of his motivations.

scottietohottie
06-07-2020, 02:36 PM
Just turn on the talk radio... You'll be safe there ;)

Jason ellis took the week off so it's all replays. He had doctor drew on last week. He's worried about what this is doing to the youth. I agree.

scottietohottie
06-07-2020, 02:38 PM
Game of thrones audio books last week. Kind of feel sorry for the dude that had to read it all out loud but he does the voices pretty well.

GreenfieldBison
06-07-2020, 02:59 PM
Either that or we've made a deal with the devil.

Robert Johnson went down to the crossroads and sold his soul to the devil. And it was good.

123Gobison
06-07-2020, 04:30 PM
Oh wow, that's profound...that it's not just my flag. Thing is, I love it like it's just mine...as if all the great things it stands for and all the patriots who fought for it are now looking just to me...little 'ol me...to defend it...and condemn anyone who doesn't honor it when it is displayed. Kneeling during the anthem to protest this or that in America...when instead you should be standing and looking at YOUR flag with hand on heart...I'll condemn that nonsense with God on my side, thank you very much. I wish every American had the decency to say that is MY flag. For some reason, my claim on the flag troubled you...strange.

Know whose flag it is not? It's not Colin Kaepernick's flag...he told us that when he said, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." That's where this athlete-kneeling crap began. Now Brees bows down to Liberal Cancel Culture and says that kneeling during the anthem is "not about the flag?" He's delusional...It has ALWAYS been about disrespecting the flag.

History is fun,

......... most Americans had already forgotten the extensive role black people had played on both sides during the War for Independence. At the 1876 Centennial Celebration of the Revolution in Philadelphia, not a single speaker acknowledged the contributions of African Americans in establishing the nation. Yet by 1783, thousands of black Americans had become involved in the war. Many were active participants, some won their freedom and others were victims, but throughout the struggle blacks refused to be mere bystanders and gave their loyalty to the side that seemed to offer the best prospect for freedom.

What did they get in return ?.....

https://www.historyisfun.org/learn/learning-center/colonial-america-american-revolution-learning-resources/american-revolution-essays-timelines-images/african-americans-and-the-american-revolution/

reformedUNDfan
06-07-2020, 05:12 PM

bizarre of you to call it cancel culture while calling for people to be canceled for not acting in ways that you don't approve

reformedUNDfan
06-07-2020, 05:18 PM

Congratulations, you're a terrible American and have no appreciation for anything it's about.

HerdistheWord
06-07-2020, 07:12 PM
Boyers didn’t really encourage him to kneel as a sign pf respect. It was a compromise, because Kaepernick made it clear that he didn’t want to stand and Boyers thought kneeling was more respectful than sitting.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/09/646115651/the-veteran-and-nfl-player-who-advised-kaepernick-to-take-a-knee

Kaepernick has always been a bit of an extremist in his views IMO, which is why I don’t like him personally. He is extremely anti-cop and seems to encourage revolution, including violent means, as opposed to peaceful demonstration. I tend to frown on extremism on either end of the spectrum.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kaepernick7/status/1266046129906552832?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

EC8CH
06-07-2020, 07:38 PM
Boyers didn’t really encourage him to kneel as a sign pf respect. It was a compromise, because Kaepernick made it clear that he didn’t want to stand and Boyers thought kneeling was more respectful than sitting.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/09/646115651/the-veteran-and-nfl-player-who-advised-kaepernick-to-take-a-knee

Kaepernick has always been a bit of an extremist in his views IMO, which is why I don’t like him personally. He is extremely anti-cop and seems to encourage revolution, including violent means, as opposed to peaceful demonstration. I tend to frown on extremism on either end of the spectrum.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kaepernick7/status/1266046129906552832?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Wonderful interview with Boyers. Extremely thoughtful person.

HerdistheWord
06-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Wonderful interview with Boyers. Extremely thoughtful person.

Yeah, he’s pretty cool. He has said a few words on the Brees situation as well.

gabisonfan
06-07-2020, 09:17 PM
Here is a link considering analytics. Everyone has an opportunity to do the same. It may be correct or not but until root cause analysis is performed,the problem will not be solved. https://www.oann.com/statistics-reveal-police-shoot-and-kill-twice-as-many-white-suspects-as-african-american-suspects/

bisonaudit
06-07-2020, 09:45 PM
You mean his teammates told him to shut the fuck up, and he caved? What a leader.

You're not allowed to have an opinion.

It seems like he still has an opinion. He got slammed by the President and had no trouble defending his position. People are allowed to change their mind.

gabisonfan
06-07-2020, 09:47 PM
Here's another thing many of you remember, but doesn't fit the current narrative. https://www.nfhs.org/articles/olympians-message-from-50-years-ago-delivers-powerful-message/

bisonaudit
06-07-2020, 10:04 PM
Here is a link considering analytics. Everyone has an opportunity to do the same. It may be correct or not but until root cause analysis is performed,the problem will not be solved. https://www.oann.com/statistics-reveal-police-shoot-and-kill-twice-as-many-white-suspects-as-african-american-suspects/

There are 8 times as many white people as African Americans in the US so if the police kill half as many African Americans, they’re still 4x as likely to die at the hands of authority.

You need to find a better conspiracy network.

gabisonfan
06-07-2020, 10:16 PM
There are 8 times as many white people as African Americans in the US so if the police kill half as many African Americans, they’re still 4x as likely to die at the hands of authority.

You need to find a better conspiracy network.

People typically killed by police where they live and commit acts to be under suspicion. Analytics not OAN will reveal the truth. All problem solving models require root cause analysis, not how someone feels about an issue. I doubt that everyone in North Dakota is racist because they are white and doubt the ancestors who homestead in the 1890's owned slaves.

bisonaudit
06-07-2020, 10:24 PM
People typically killed by police where they live and commit acts to be under suspicion. Analytics not OAN will reveal the truth. All problem solving models require root cause analysis, not how someone feels about an issue. I doubt that everyone in North Dakota is racist because they are white and doubt the ancestors who homestead in the 1890's owned slaves.

We just did the analytics. There are 8x as many whites... African Americans 4x as likely to be killed by police.

mtoutfitter
06-07-2020, 11:00 PM
Here's another thing many of you remember, but doesn't fit the current narrative. https://www.nfhs.org/articles/olympians-message-from-50-years-ago-delivers-powerful-message/

Bravo...Needs to be more messages like this and less excuses.

HerdistheWord
06-07-2020, 11:14 PM
We just did the analytics. There are 8x as many whites... African Americans 4x as likely to be killed by police.

Straight population is a pretty crappy metric for that, because you have to look at who the police are interacting with more (i.e. number of encounters). I would further break that down by the number of encounters for violent and non-violent crimes. Your odds of getting shot/killed are going to increase if you are involved in more violent crimes.

56BISON73
06-08-2020, 12:23 AM

And why is that????

56BISON73
06-08-2020, 12:24 AM
Straight population is a pretty crappy metric for that, because you have to look at who the police are interacting with more (i.e. number of encounters). I would further break that down by the number of encounters for violent and non-violent crimes. Your odds of getting shot/killed are going to increase if you are involved in more violent crimes.

And if you are non-compliant.

56BISON73
06-08-2020, 12:27 AM

:judges::bow:

The Great Randini
06-08-2020, 01:05 AM
There are only 5x as many whites as blacks in the US , 60% vs 12%

bisonaudit
06-08-2020, 03:16 AM

So there's something inherent in a person's skin color that makes them more or less prone to violence?

bisonaudit
06-08-2020, 03:24 AM
There are only 5x as many whites as blacks in the US , 60% vs 12%

Don't know what happened with my math, maybe need more coffee this morning. But good news, right, African Americans are only about 2.5x more likely to be killed by police than a white person.

56BISON73
06-08-2020, 04:34 AM
So there's something inherent in a person's skin color that makes them more or less prone to violence?

https://i.imgur.com/s27QGG4.jpg

NDSU92
06-08-2020, 04:38 AM

Nope. The thought is that there IS a problem, it’s just not necessarily that cops are hunting down people of color. There are other inequities that lead to people of color being more frequently on the other end of the police response. In other words in my ignorant opinion, higher frequency of blacks dying at the hands of LE is a symptom, not the sickness itself.

El_Chapo
06-08-2020, 05:46 AM
1 thing I liked about NDSU football and its players/coaches from 2010-2019 during the title run. was that I saw ZERO political stances by anyone, literally nothing 1 way or another and I really used to enjoy that..

Bisonwinagn
06-08-2020, 06:29 AM

You clearly don't know how to do analytics. Compare the number of violent crimes to the number of people killed and see what answer you get. My guess is you will not find any significance between race and people killed.

Bisonwinagn
06-08-2020, 06:34 AM
1 thing I liked about NDSU football and its players/coaches from 2010-2019 during the title run. was that I saw ZERO political stances by anyone, literally nothing 1 way or another and I really used to enjoy that..

Agreed. Players, coaches, businesses should keep their mouth shut about any political topic that is divisive. The only thing that will happen is half the people will hate them for it and nothing good will come of it.

bisonaudit
06-08-2020, 10:17 AM
You clearly don't know how to do analytics. Compare the number of violent crimes to the number of people killed and see what answer you get. My guess is you will not find any significance between race and people killed.

Why would I assume that people alleged to be committing a violent crime deserve to be met by the state with lethal force?

Further why would I assume that the police only kill suspects who are alleged to have committed a violent crime?

Maybe I might know a little something about how to do analytics.

BlueKeyAlum
06-08-2020, 11:00 AM
Agreed. Players, coaches, businesses should keep their mouth shut about any political topic that is divisive. The only thing that will happen is half the people will hate them for it and nothing good will come of it.

That's akin to saying your opinion doesn't matter. Which is the same "in my opinion " as saying that person doesn't matter.

WeAreThePride
06-08-2020, 11:02 AM

And how much more likely are they to commit crimes?

bisonaudit
06-08-2020, 12:57 PM
And how much more likely are they to commit crimes?

We kill people without trial for committing crimes now?

scottietohottie
06-08-2020, 01:17 PM

No we burn and loot shit.

El_Chapo
06-08-2020, 01:19 PM

It was refreshing. The only thing we had was Jack the OL that left wearing a pin to see trump.
hell, even going to see Trump was poo pooed by coaches players as Non Political 100%.

cats out of the bag now I'm afraid, it was a Great NON-POLITICAL , NO BULLSHIT RUN by NDSU... :(

MankatoBison
06-08-2020, 01:21 PM
WELP, that thread went south quickly....

The intent I had was that I wanted to communicate how impressed I was with how level headed the teams response has been. It hasnt denounced anyone who disagrees with them as racist, has been extremely positive, and has not attacked others viewpoints either. From my perspective it has been a "we have more in common than what sets us apart" whereas, seemingly every other organization seems to be decrying "if you dont 100% agree with riots, it means youre a brutal RACIST!"

props to the organization for not tearing down others, but remaining almost exclusively positive

WeAreThePride
06-08-2020, 01:25 PM

Is that what I said?

HerdistheWord
06-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Why would I assume that people alleged to be committing a violent crime deserve to be met by the state with lethal force?

Further why would I assume that the police only kill suspects who are alleged to have committed a violent crime?

Maybe I might know a little something about how to do analytics.

It is pretty logical to assume that people committing violent crimes are going to be more dangerous and will present more reasonable situations for officers to fear for their lives. I personally wouldn’t fear for my life if I saw someone steal a pack of gum, but I sure as hell would if I saw a man beat someone bloody with a baseball bat. One of these situations is much more likely to provoke a higher force response from law enforce simply as a means of matching the suspect’s use of force, which has nothing to do with the cop serving as judge, jury, and executioner and has everything to do with the cop’s right to defend themselves.

stevdock
06-08-2020, 02:40 PM

My kids and I were talking about this during the Brees situation. I respect what Brees' had to say and agree with it for the most part. I can also respect the reason that Kaepernick started the kneeling during the Anthem. Like it or not, many people are talking about those situations because of who they are and they have more power to get necessary changes made. If you or I would do the same thing, nobody would notice and it definitely wouldn't be talked about. In North Dakota, NDSU football players and coaches are celebrities and have the opportunity to start change in our state. Every person they interviewed about the peaceful protest march through our city I had no clue who they were, but my son knew our QB was in the march and we were able to talk about what was going on and had a great conversation because of it. He didn't even have to say a word and he affected a conversation that we had in our household. They do have the power to do it and should use it when needed. I would say this is one of those times when it is needed.

Bisonator98
06-08-2020, 03:21 PM
It was refreshing. The only thing we had was Jack the OL that left wearing a pin to see trump.
hell, even going to see Trump was poo pooed by coaches players as Non Political 100%.

cats out of the bag now I'm afraid, it was a Great NON-POLITICAL , NO BULLSHIT RUN by NDSU... :(

Not sure what political stances have been broached by NDSU, the coaching staff or players. Do you have any specific link that is political?

I don't see protesting for racial injustice as political. Everyone should be for equal rights. That should have nothing to do with politics.

Tony Almeida
06-08-2020, 05:51 PM
Here's my take on the kneeling situation. It comes from the hypocritical view of the left. Kaep can say all he wants about why he kneels for the flag, but it shouldn't matter what he says...bacause the liberal or leftist mantra has always been, 'if it offends one then it must be stopped'...I don't care how many military personal you throw at me that agrees with Kaep and the "I served so people like him can be free to protest..." BS. The truth is that kneeling to the flag indeed does offend military personal and their families. So by the leftist standards, we must stop something that is offensive to some.

Kevin
06-08-2020, 05:57 PM
Here's my take on the kneeling situation. It comes from the hypocritical view of the left. Kaep can say all he wants about why he kneels for the flag, but it shouldn't matter what he says...bacause the liberal or leftist mantra has always been, 'if it offends one then it must be stopped'...I don't care how many military personal you throw at me that agrees with Kaep and the "I served so people like him can be free to protest..." BS. The truth is that kneeling to the flag indeed does offend military personal and their families. So by the leftist standards, we must stop something that is offensive to some.

Actually the leftist mantra has always been "if it offends me then it must be stopped."

So, kneeling for the flag offends you.

See the difference?

Tony Almeida
06-08-2020, 06:03 PM
Actually the leftist mantra has always been "if it offends me then it must be stopped."

So, kneeling for the flag offends you.

See the difference?Well played. But my point still stands.

Kevin
06-08-2020, 06:05 PM
Well played. But my point still stands.

Your point about it offending military families stands, yes. The logic trap "gotcha" does not.

I disagree with kneeling but their point is that it has nothing to do with the military. It's about a nation allowing a police force to kill people with (often) minimal or no repercussions.

Both can be true at the same time.

Tony Almeida
06-08-2020, 06:12 PM
Your point about it offending military families stands, yes. The logic trap "gotcha" does not.

I disagree with kneeling but their point is that it has nothing to do with the military. It's about a nation allowing a police force to kill people with (often) minimal or no repercussions.

Both can be true at the same time.And this statement is not even close to being true...just look at the numbers.
And like I said before, it shouldn't matter what the reasoning is given for kneeling. I didn't make the rules, they did.

EC8CH
06-08-2020, 06:15 PM
Compelled reverence to national symbols in a democratic republic has always made about as much sense to me as compelled religious piety in a theocracy.

mtoutfitter
06-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Compelled reverence to national symbols in a democratic republic has always made about as much sense to me as compelled religious piety in a theocracy.

I have a question for you. Do you have a job? Not trying to be a smart ass....just wondering.

Kevin
06-08-2020, 06:27 PM
And this statement is not even close to being true...just look at the numbers.
And like I said before, it shouldn't matter what the reasoning is given for kneeling. I didn't make the rules, they did.

You're back to the logic trap that we already established isn't valid. No one on the left said things that offend people should be banned.

They said things that offend them should be bad.

By your logic gay pride marches should be banned because it might offend evangelicals. That is not a position anyone on the left has ever taken.

Tony Almeida
06-08-2020, 06:30 PM
Compelled reverence to national symbols in a democratic republic has always made about as much sense to me as compelled religious piety in a theocracy.I've had/got family in the military and it's a feeling like no other. I'm not from this country, but I damn near tear up every time I hear the national anthem while standing for the flag...knowing where I could be had it not been for my American parents. I think of my grandfather who served in WW2, I think of all that have given the ultimate sacrificed for this country. I think of my brother, my brother-in-law currently in the military.

I've heard so many people from across the oceans display their jealousy of patriotism that America holds for the flag and military. They all have initial feelings like you do, then they always follow it up with I wish we had more of that in our country.

Tony Almeida
06-08-2020, 06:39 PM
You're back to the logic trap that we already established isn't valid. No one on the left said things that offend people should be banned.

They said things that offend them should be bad.

By your logic gay pride marches should be banned because it might offend evangelicals. That is not a position anyone on the left has ever taken.Bullshit. Why are conservative speakers banned on college campuses? Why were confederate flags banned? When all that supported the flag in the south proclaimed that it had nothing to do with racism. Why was the Sioux mascot/logo removed? When we all knew it had nothing to do with racism. Why is the question. Because...it offended someone.

EC8CH
06-08-2020, 07:28 PM
I have a question for you. Do you have a job? Not trying to be a smart ass....just wondering.

Yes

10char

EC8CH
06-08-2020, 07:31 PM
They all have initial feelings like you do, then they always follow it up with I wish we had more of that in our country.

Do you know what feelings I have though? Just curious because it's quite possible to take that the wrong way.

Kevin
06-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Bullshit. Why are conservative speakers banned on college campuses? Why were confederate flags banned? When all that supported the flag in the south proclaimed that it had nothing to do with racism. Why was the Sioux mascot/logo removed? When we all knew it had nothing to do with racism. Why is the question. Because...it offended someone.

No, it offends leftists.

What aren't you getting about this?

"We removed things that offended you so now you have to remove things that offend us." isn't how it works. What you think is a "gotcha" is the opposite. It's not how they operate.

Hammerhead
06-08-2020, 08:03 PM

I stand at attention until the flag has left the playing surface (not when the song is over like most people do) although it does seem kind of silly IMHO to play the national anthem at every sporting event. You can read about how this tradition started at https://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events.

Kevin
06-08-2020, 08:11 PM

I think that's inherent in human nature. Have you noticed the odd ritualistic elements associated with the BLM movement this time around? Even down to the "reflection times" that look an awful lot like prayer time to me.

It's all one's and zero's man. You plug and play a few of them around and you got the same shit with a different skin.

Some people just hate that skin.

EC8CH
06-08-2020, 09:02 PM
I think that's inherent in human nature. Have you noticed the odd ritualistic elements associated with the BLM movement this time around? Even down to the "reflection times" that look an awful lot like prayer time to me.

It's all one's and zero's man. You plug and play a few of them around and you got the same shit with a different skin.

Some people just hate that skin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OlZ_5QHnq8

Compelled reverence can produce an impressive display of strength but how thin of a veneer is it compared to that created by deeply held convictions shared across an entire population. I've just always thought when American has been at it's best, that has been our strength compared to other nations.

Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and the Communist Chinese are masters of showcasing their civilians' reverence. To me it reeks of a false facade, compensating for societies ill structured for sustained unity. The hard work of maintaining a society in which all citizens across a broad and varied population truly feel loyalty and devotion to is where true strength arises.

Kevin
06-08-2020, 10:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OlZ_5QHnq8

Compelled reverence can produce an impressive display of strength but how thin of a veneer is it compared to that created by deeply held convictions shared across an entire population. I've just always thought when American has been at it's best, that has been our strength compared to other nations.

Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and the Communist Chinese are masters of showcasing their civilians' reverence. To me it reeks of a false facade, compensating for societies ill structured for sustained unity. The hard work of maintaining a society in which all citizens across a broad and varied population truly feel loyalty and devotion to is where true strength arises.

I have no idea what you just said.

EC8CH
06-08-2020, 10:23 PM
I have no idea what you just said.

Reptilians should brainwash us all into wanting to be their slaves instead of just making us afraid of not pleasing our scaly masters.

El_Chapo
06-09-2020, 04:35 AM
No, it offends leftists.

What aren't you getting about this?

"We removed things that offended you so now you have to remove things that offend us." isn't how it works. What you think is a "gotcha" is the opposite. It's not how they operate.

They want an UTOPIA!!! its so apparent. There is no UTOPIA in the USA! we must be united with people with different viewpoints, we just gotta.. .