PDA

View Full Version : Stephen F Austin stripped of all wins and titles from 2013-2019

TAILG8R
05-24-2020, 04:39 PM
https://www.totalprosports.com/2020/05/23/stephen-f-austin-stripped-of-all-wins-titles-from-2013-2019-by-the-ncaa/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammersmith
05-24-2020, 04:48 PM
Everybody, actually read the short article. It's four sports and includes tournament ineligibility, scholarship reductions, and fines. Yikes.

TAILG8R
05-24-2020, 04:53 PM
Everybody, actually read the short article. It's four sports and includes tournament ineligibility, scholarship reductions, and fines. Yikes.Yeah it's pretty hefty. Like you said, short article and it lists the number of wins and titles vacated by sport.

Rock
05-24-2020, 04:54 PM
https://www.totalprosports.com/2020/05/23/stephen-f-austin-stripped-of-all-wins-titles-from-2013-2019-by-the-ncaa/

Wow- wonder how much they were making. With everything going on would guess likely they are done with sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammersmith
05-24-2020, 05:12 PM
Did a little digging. The violations were about academics, not money. SFA was incorrectly calculating teams' APR scores. The only credits that are supposed to count are those in your degree track plus required general ed courses. SFA was using all credits in the calculation. When they adjusted for the discrepancy, four teams fell below the team APR minimum. Altogether, 82 student-athletes played when they shouldn't have. I hope at least one person was fired at SFA, because this was a pretty big fucking screw up and one that should have never happened.

Rock
05-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Did a little digging. The violations were about academics, not money. SFA was incorrectly calculating teams' APR scores. The only credits that are supposed to count are those in your degree track plus required general ed courses. SFA was using all credits in the calculation. When they adjusted for the discrepancy, four teams fell below the team APR minimum. Altogether, 82 student-athletes played when they shouldn't have. I hope at least one person was fired at SFA, because this was a pretty big fucking screw up and one that should have never happened.

Right- if they werent making much money in the first place, or loosing on sports. Be an easy couple excuses to not bring them back.

Beep. Boop.

heffray
05-24-2020, 08:02 PM
That’s too bad. They kinda emerged as a up-and-coming football program this last year.

NDSU92
05-24-2020, 11:56 PM
To me the article makes it sound like they got the death penalty. No sports at all for a year, not just postseason bans...

Probably more so an issue with clear writing than the truth.

Professor Chaos
05-25-2020, 12:16 AM
That’s too bad. They kinda emerged as a up-and-coming football program this last year.
Are you thinking of Austin Peay? SFA hasn't been good in football for a while now. IIRC they had some decent teams in the late 90s to mid-2000s. The last time they made the playoffs (2015-ish???) they got obliterated at the UNI-Dome in the first round.

What this really hurts for them is their men's basketball program. They were a powerhouse mid-major. Multiple tournament wins over the last 5 years and a win at then #1 ranked Duke this past season.

Bison 4 Life
05-25-2020, 01:27 AM
So does that mean the Duke win doesn't count?

heffray
05-25-2020, 02:39 AM
Are you thinking of Austin Peay? SFA hasn't been good in football for a while now. IIRC they had some decent teams in the late 90s to mid-2000s. The last time they made the playoffs (2015-ish???) they got obliterated at the UNI-Dome in the first round.

What this really hurts for them is their men's basketball program. They were a powerhouse mid-major. Multiple tournament wins over the last 5 years and a win at then #1 ranked Duke this past season.

Yes. They both have Austin in the name so I’ll give myself a pass.

TAILG8R
05-25-2020, 03:39 AM
To me the article makes it sound like they got the death penalty. No sports at all for a year, not just postseason bans...

Probably more so an issue with clear writing than the truth.I read a comment elsewhere that they are banned from post season play but I agree this article states no football, etc but I assume just terrible research/writing.

Hammersmith
05-25-2020, 06:25 PM
I read a comment elsewhere that they are banned from post season play but I agree this article states no football, etc but I assume just terrible research/writing.

It is just bad writing. The football postseason ban is for this season(2020), baseball is also this season(spring 2021), and MBB will be for the 2021-2022 season. There is also the possibility that those bans could be extended if SFA doesn't quickly make improvements in those teams' APR scores. It sounds like it might be mathematically impossible to get at least one of the teams above the 930 minimum right away(it's a 4-year rolling average), but SFA is hoping that they'll get a waiver if they can show significant improvement.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2020/5/20/general-dear-lumberjack-nation.aspx

CyPanth
05-26-2020, 12:36 AM
The NCAA finally decided to come down hard on North Carolina for all their academic violations with athletes . . . so they penalized Stephen F. Austin!

Christopher Moen
05-26-2020, 04:35 AM
The NCAA finally decided to come down hard on North Carolina for all their academic violations with athletes . . . so they penalized Stephen F. Austin!

https://media2.giphy.com/media/PMxSMgegOkoM0/source.gif

Bison"FANatic"
05-26-2020, 01:51 PM
Do they have basketball, football or any players that we can poach? Can they transfer out without penalty?

NDSU92
05-26-2020, 03:27 PM
Do they have basketball, football or any players that we can poach? Can they transfer out without penalty?

I’d potentially take basketball or baseball players from them.

Football... can’t imagine there’s anything worth taking. They cheated and still couldn’t make it out of the Southland.

HerdBot
05-26-2020, 05:16 PM

Are the players academically capable? That would make me proceed with caution