PDA

View Full Version : What happens to NCAA football after Covid19?

Rock
05-06-2020, 03:07 PM
What programs loosing money consistently will drop football coming out of this thing? Is it just the excuse they have wanted for years?

What would that do to the levels of NCAA football? Will conference rules change/attendance?

What would it do to the MVFC? The MAC? BIG12? Super Conferences?

Where will NDSU fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAILG8R
05-06-2020, 03:38 PM
What programs loosing money consistently will drop football coming out of this thing? Is it just the excuse they have wanted for years?

What would that do to the levels of NCAA football? Will conference rules change/attendance?

Where will NDSU fit?

I've actually been thinking this too. I believe this is happening across all industries. OF course there are many legit changes that where the direct cause of COVID but there has to be others that are linked to COVID that in reality the timing just made it easier to pull the trigger.

ndsubison1
05-06-2020, 05:17 PM
It is devastating the economy and possible it takes years to recover. Even if sports are played, attendance will be down and likely donations.

Christopher Moen
05-07-2020, 05:40 AM

Where will NDSU fit?

With many non P5 DI conferences petitioning the NCAA to lower the limit on the amount of sports they must field in order to remain DI eligible for the next few years, I would say it is going to be a mess. Then add in this discussion from Pat McAfee, there's a chance the NCAA becomes nonexistent in the next decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOazEAYPOhk

Rock
05-07-2020, 06:47 AM
With many non P5 DI conferences petitioning the NCAA to lower the limit on the amount of sports they must field in order to remain DI eligible for the next few years, I would say it is going to be a mess. Then add in this discussion from Pat McAfee, there's a chance the NCAA becomes nonexistent in the next decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOazEAYPOhk

Interesting video I think NDSU is a power school based on the criteria they put forth in this.

MNLonghorn10
05-07-2020, 08:26 AM
Intriguing but I doubt this amounts to much. I can only see the p5 breaking away from g5 but not the ncaa. What would you do with your other sports? If the NCAA tells the p5 schools to pound sand because they don’t feel like paying for cal bears trip to Arizona st for women’s volleyball, then what’s the point of a new football league if you’re going to be paying for all of that other shit now.

Too many hoops to jump through to ever make it work.

Christopher Moen
05-07-2020, 11:19 AM
I doubt it is the NCAA telling the P5 conferences to go pound sound but the other way around. If the P5 conferences break off into their own organization, the NCAA is dead financially as we know it. With the P5 conferences already taking in the $1 billion of TV revenue for Football, they stand to take the $1 billion of TV revenue the NCAA gets for Men's Basketball. That's a lot of TV revenue for just 65 schools.

If the P5 conferences were to go their own way, they could also decide on their own to only field Football and Men's Basketball for men's sports while having Women's Basketball and whatever women's sports will help them meet Title IX requirements. That's a huge cut in their athletic departments' expenditures.

For the rest of the FBS schools (G5 conferences) in the NCAA, I imagine they will learn how to function with budgets similar to NDSU's as there will no longer be a need for them to try to keep up with the "big boys."

bisonp
05-07-2020, 11:57 AM
If the NCAA goes away, it will be the beginning of the end for college sports.

Mr Meaty
05-07-2020, 01:33 PM
If the NCAA goes away, it will be the beginning of the end for college sports.

It has already started with the student athletes being able to profit from the image/likeness.

DCinOK
05-07-2020, 02:09 PM
I will never forgive China.

WeAreThePride
05-07-2020, 02:16 PM

Don't trust China. China is asshoe.

Buffalo.Rider
05-07-2020, 02:25 PM
It is devastating the economy and possible it takes years to recover. Even if sports are played, attendance will be down and likely donations.

By 'it' I assume you mean COVID-19.

In my mind, the 'it' is decisions by political leaders and to some extent business owners.
They are reacting to COVID-19, but how they react is a choice.
Admittedly, say in the meat processing business, business owners are compelled to shut-down until their employees recover from COVID-19.
The upside for them is that when employees recover (and the vast majority will, perhaps all if they are fortunate), they will have a disease-resistant work force.

Bison bison
05-07-2020, 02:29 PM
covid as accelerant.

I bet that one-fourth of all NCAA/NAIA football teams never play another game.

Will Western Illinois field a team? Indiana State?
All the HBCUs? Tiny privates? (not what you're thinking, Izzy)

College sports have become entertainment and entertainment is nonessential. I'm happy to keep giving to Team Makers for scholarships, but don't plan on tailgating for at least a year, maybe two.

Demand for tickets is going to drop like a rock. Concerns about covid, but mostly lost income and wealth.

Bison bison
05-07-2020, 02:29 PM
By 'it' I assume you mean COVID-19.

In my mind, the 'it' is decisions by political leaders and to some extent business owners.
They are reacting to COVID-19, but how they react is a choice.
Admittedly, say in the meat processing business, business owners are compelled to shut-down until their employees recover from COVID-19.
The upside for them is that when employees recover (and the vast majority will, perhaps all if they are fortunate), they will have a disease-resistant work force.

That's not a certainty.

BisonJD
05-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Exhibit A:

https://www.cleveland.com/education/2020/05/university-of-akron-to-eliminate-six-of-11-colleges-as-part-of-cost-saving-measures-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Bison bison
05-07-2020, 04:49 PM
One problem with Akron's and North Dakota's approach is that everyone cuts off a limb and goes around handicapped, often better off that you eliminate an organization entirely.

Ohio has a crazy big research university system, it used to have 11 history phds between publics and privates.

ND could easily eliminate the administrative apparatus at all but one tech school/community college, and one four-year school. This could actually be in the cards, if things get as bad as they look like they will.

KTF
05-07-2020, 07:41 PM

Please check your facts... This virus did not originate in a lab in China...

WeAreThePride
05-07-2020, 08:07 PM

China is asshoe.

OrygunBison
05-07-2020, 08:47 PM
China is asshoe.

Fuck China and fuck Boise State.

Bison bison
05-07-2020, 08:50 PM

No. But the outbreak likely did.

1st&TennBison
05-07-2020, 10:14 PM

Odd that the virus just happened to originate in the province where the Chinese version of the CDC is located.

DCinOK
05-08-2020, 12:02 AM

It most certainly did originate in China. lab or wet market.....in China.....specifically wuhan province.

TAILG8R
05-08-2020, 12:04 AM
It most certainly did originate in China. lab or wet market.....in China.....specifically wuhan province.Reread what you quoted. He specifically said lab.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
05-08-2020, 04:54 AM

idiot comment of the decade here

I will goto a NDSU game or Vikings game or wefest. right freakin now. quit being the pussification society. if you are under 80 and healthy and not in nursing home. you're fine...else people would be dropping left and right

1st&TennBison
05-08-2020, 01:45 PM
idiot comment of the decade here

I will goto a NDSU game or Vikings game or wefest. right freakin now. quit being the pussification society. if you are under 80 and healthy and not in nursing home. you're fine...else people would be dropping left and right

That is just the stupidest thing to say. Sure, the elderly and frail are most at risk, as with any illness. But to go around with the attitude that everyone who is just fine because they are 20-60 years old and go to the gym and therefore don't have a worry in the world is idiotic. It isn't the death rate that is what is so bad about this virus, it is the ability for it to spread and put folks in the hospital that is worse than any common cold or flu.

AKBison
05-09-2020, 03:08 PM
covid as accelerant.

I bet that one-fourth of all NCAA/NAIA football teams never play another game.

Will Western Illinois field a team? Indiana State?
All the HBCUs? Tiny privates? (not what you're thinking, Izzy)

College sports have become entertainment and entertainment is nonessential. I'm happy to keep giving to Team Makers for scholarships, but don't plan on tailgating for at least a year, maybe two.

Demand for tickets is going to drop like a rock. Concerns about covid, but mostly lost income and wealth.

So 25% of football programs will never play another game? Get a grip man. This photo has been making the rounds on the net from a Georgia Tech football game at the end of the Spanish Flu epudemic. The sport will survive. Some departments are going to have to cut the fat and lean up but this isn't the end times. Long term, who knows what happens with a P5 split. In the long term it could be good for college athletics. Schools like Notre Dame have already come out and said they aren't going down the road of of non amatuer sports and will drop divisions if necessary. The rest of the elite academic schools would follow suit as well. 9334

WeAreThePride
05-09-2020, 03:26 PM
So 25% of football programs will never play another game? Get a grip man. This photo has been making the rounds on the net from a Georgia Tech football game at the end of the Spanish Flu epudemic. The sport will survive. Some departments are going to have to cut the fat and lean up but this isn't the end times. Long term, who knows what happens with a P5 split. In the long term it could be good for college athletics. Schools like Notre Dame have already come out and said they aren't going down the road of of non amatuer sports and will drop divisions if necessary. The rest of the elite academic schools would follow suit as well. 9334

The Doomers have been out in force lately.

ByeSonBusiness
05-09-2020, 04:12 PM

It would be hilarious if the people who have been trying for years to get the "student" athletes paid money inadvertently crashed the system because they cant get enough schools to go along with the scheme.

OrygunBison
05-09-2020, 05:20 PM
Mods, feel free to shut this thread down as well. Seems to have solid momentum to become another COVID Timeline abomination. The usual suspects will make sure of it

Greta Van Herd
05-09-2020, 05:37 PM
Post withdrawn.

Hammerhead
05-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Lots of luxuries will take a hit in the next few years and that includes all college athletics. I have to think many corporate donors will be cutting back on their giving.