PDA

View Full Version : Universities in Jeopardy

IndyBison
04-11-2020, 09:11 PM
I have a friend who works in higher ed. Before this all happened there were conversations about schools in jeopardy of closing and a standard threshold was university endowment size. The size they used was $25m. Now that the shut down has happened that number could creep up. I know it applies to small private schools, but it could impact small state schools.

I decided to look up the ND schools to see there endowments.

UND $278m
NDSU $227M
U of Mary $50m
U of Jamestown $36m
Minot State $28m
Dickinson State $9m
Valley City State $7m
Mayville State $4m

I also looked at the Moorhead schools and the UofM.
Minnesota $4 billion
Concordia $42m
Moorhead State $24m

The small state schools are less likely in danger because they are probably underwritten more by the larger schools and the state (relatively speaking). The private schools are probably OK based on that threshold but would probably feel better if the endowment was bigger.

I decided to check out local private schools. These are the D3 and NAIA schools where I officiate. I was surprised how high they were. DePauw only has 2100 students and their endowment is bigger than UND and NDSU combined!

DePauw $731m
Earlham $429m
Wabash $344m
Indiana Wesleyan $191m
Rose-Hulman $185m
Hanover $150m
Manchester $120m
Franklin $86m
Taylor $61m
St. Francis $34m
Anderson $28m

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
04-12-2020, 12:45 AM
I have a friend who works in higher ed. Before this all happened there were conversations about schools in jeopardy of closing and a standard threshold was university endowment size. The size they used was $25m. Now that the shut down has happened that number could creep up. I know it applies to small private schools, but it could impact small state schools.

UND $278m
NDSU $227M
U of Mary $50m
U of Jamestown $36m
Minot State $28m
Dickinson State $9m
Valley City State $7m
Mayville State $4m

Minnesota $4 billion
Concordia $42m
Moorhead State $24m

The small state schools are less likely in danger because they are probably underwritten more by the larger schools and the state (relatively speaking). The private schools are probably OK based on that threshold but would probably feel better if the endowment was bigger.

I decided to check out local private schools. These are the D3 and NAIA schools where I officiate. I was surprised how high they were. DePauw only has 2100 students and their endowment is bigger than UND and NDSU combined!

DePauw $731m
Earlham $429m
Wabash $344m
Indiana Wesleyan $191m
Rose-Hulman $185m
Hanover $150m
Manchester $120m
Franklin $86m
Taylor $61m
St. Francis $34m
Anderson $28m

gonna be tough for these.

LikeMothers
04-12-2020, 01:47 AM

UND $278m
NDSU $227M
U of Mary $50m
U of Jamestown $36m
Minot State $28m
Dickinson State $9m
Valley City State $7m
Mayville State $4m

Minnesota $4 billion
Concordia $42m
Moorhead State $24m

DePauw $731m
Earlham $429m
Wabash $344m
Indiana Wesleyan $191m
Rose-Hulman $185m
Hanover $150m
Manchester $120m
Franklin $86m
Taylor $61m
St. Francis $34m
Anderson $28m

Are the private school endowments more aggressively invested I wonder? They'll be shrinking rapidly when both the paper value drops and they have to start selling to make up lost revenue. Smart boards of regents will be making hard decisions today and not waiting.

roadwarrior
04-12-2020, 02:11 AM
Most of the money in endowments is there for a specific purpose, such as a scholarship fund. The foundations can't just take this money and use for operations of the schools.

southcliffbison
04-12-2020, 08:38 PM
gonna be tough for these.

The only way those schools you bolded are in trouble is if the good folks of ND change their State Constitution, because that is what it'll take...…..a change in the ND State Constitution. Tlhey're safe

Edit: Sorry, Chap......post was meant for Indy..

El_Chapo
04-12-2020, 08:50 PM
The only way those schools you bolded are in trouble is if the good folks of ND change their State Constitution, because that is what it'll take...…..a change in the ND State Constitution. Tlhey're safe

Edit: Sorry, Chap......post was meant for Indy..

well if they are bankrupt, thatll solve that issue

southcliffbison
04-12-2020, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=El_Chapo;1424255]well if they are bankrupt, thatll solve that issue[

State institutions of higher education are "constitutionally mandated" meaning that they are funded, in full or partially, by the state government. If the colleges go broke that means the state is broke or damn near broke ...….not good for anyone. Again, it will take an amendment to the state constitution to close any state mandated schools.

westnodak93bison
04-12-2020, 10:19 PM
for one. Time to modernize and consolidate the bloated ND University System.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

IndyBison
04-12-2020, 11:14 PM

Edit: Sorry, Chap......post was meant for Indy..I didn't bold them and I stated they are less likely to be at risk since they have different finding models. But I would still be concerned about their really low endowments. It's a sign of very limited alumni support. The private schools I listed are mostly 2k students or less. Wabash is around 900. But they have amazing loyal and supportive alumni for the size of school.

Bison 4 Life
04-15-2020, 03:23 AM

UND $278m
NDSU $227M
U of Mary $50m
U of Jamestown $36m
Minot State $28m
Dickinson State $9m
Valley City State $7m
Mayville State $4m

Minnesota $4 billion
Concordia $42m
Moorhead State $24m

DePauw $731m
Earlham $429m
Wabash $344m
Indiana Wesleyan $191m
Rose-Hulman $185m
Hanover $150m
Manchester $120m
Franklin $86m
Taylor $61m
St. Francis $34m
Anderson $28m

I had a neighbor that taught at Earlham, they were doing salary freezes a couple years ago. He was looking to jump ship.

El_Chapo
05-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Time to Trim the fat due to cuts and covid.

NDSU absorbs NDSCS Valley City

UND absorbs Mayville Lake Region

Minot St absorbs Williston, Bottinueau

Bismarck St absorbs Dickinson

2 Major Colleges. D1
2 Minor Colleges D2

make it happen now

scottietohottie
05-07-2020, 07:19 PM

Mayville Lake Region absorbs und

1 Major College D1-P5
3 Minor Colleges D2

make it happen now

I fixed your post.

heffray
05-07-2020, 08:08 PM
I fixed your post.

I must spread some reputation around before giving it to scottietohottie again.

Bison bison
05-07-2020, 08:29 PM

UND absorbs Mayville Lake Region

2 Major Colleges. D1
2 Minor Colleges D2

make it happen now

Doesn't make sense for NDSU to absorb anybody, we are very different than anyone except UND and I don't think we're doing anything with them organizationally.

I can see one 2 year institution with multiple campuses and one four year institution with multiple campuses.

eg

ND Tech - with a bunch of campuses - merging NDSCS, Lake Region State, Bismarck State, and Williston State, adding campuses in Grand Forks and Minot.
ND 'College' one institution with campuses in Valley City, Bottineau, Minot, Dickinson, Mayville.
NDSU
UND.

Basically like it would be done if we were building from scratch (with the exception of one research university).

Professorbum
05-07-2020, 11:49 PM
I fixed your post.

lol. Love it. Speaking truth, brother.

westnodak93bison
05-08-2020, 02:24 AM
Doesn't make sense for NDSU to absorb anybody, we are very different than anyone except UND and I don't think we're doing anything with them organizationally.

I can see one 2 year institution with multiple campuses and one four year institution with multiple campuses.

eg

ND Tech - with a bunch of campuses - merging NDSCS, Lake Region State, Bismarck State, and Williston State, adding campuses in Grand Forks and Minot.
ND 'College' one institution with campuses in Valley City, Bottineau, Minot, Dickinson, Mayville.
NDSU
UND.

Basically like it would be done if we were building from scratch (with the exception of one research university).Come on. The days of kids not being able to travel more than 100 miles from mom & dad is long gone. Move on or take classes online. Time to grow up and evolve.

El_Chapo
05-08-2020, 04:47 AM
Come on. The days of kids not being able to travel more than 100 miles from mom & dad is long gone. Move on or take classes online. Time to grow up and evolve.

plus end these small town legislators from taking tax money from fargo and giving it to thier cronies at the local college

ByeSonBusiness
05-08-2020, 10:59 PM
plus end these small town legislators from taking tax money from fargo and giving it to thier cronies at the local college

Jeez lol. This is Imperial Cass AF

NDSU92
05-09-2020, 01:38 PM

eg

NDSU
UND.

Basically like it would be done if we were building from scratch (with the exception of one research university).

What does the multiple campuses under one institution do for you? You’re still paying the same on travel costs, utilities, facilities, additional faculty, etc.? Some slight reduction in administrative bloating?

wagsabison
05-09-2020, 01:41 PM
Lots of great ideas from someone who doesn’t live in ND

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyPanth
05-09-2020, 02:12 PM
What does the multiple campuses under one institution do for you? You’re still paying the same on travel costs, utilities, facilities, additional faculty, etc.? Some slight reduction in administrative bloating?

Reduction in administration countered by creation of new departments of campus integration!

CyPanth
05-09-2020, 02:14 PM

Who says you have to live in ND to have good comments to share? :howdy:

NDSU1980
05-09-2020, 09:36 PM

Didn't you know that Chapo and McFeely both consider ND to be a colony, controlled by MN.

Hammerhead
05-13-2020, 02:46 AM

Maybe a constitutional amendment will gain steam once 2/3 of North Dakotans live in the 4 largest metro areas.

Bison bison
05-13-2020, 03:21 AM
You don't need a constitutional amendment, you just zero fund them.

bisonaudit
05-13-2020, 03:32 AM
You don't need a constitutional amendment, you just zero fund them.

I imagine that the state Supreme Court would have something to say about that, even if a majority of the legislature, public, and the governor thought that was a good idea.

Bison bison
05-13-2020, 03:37 AM
Really?

The constitution says that the state has a responsibility to support local school districts, something they abdicated in the 1980s until recently.

Rock
05-13-2020, 03:48 AM
Maybe a constitutional amendment will gain steam once 2/3 of North Dakotans live in the 4 largest metro areas.

Be interesting to see where the tax money comes from in north dakota.

An ND state electoral college system is long overdue. Help keep the 4 largest metros from redirecting money gained in less populated areas.

Most is sales tax, but people drive 100 miles on Saturday to spend it there by choice. So be it.

Income tax is a different animal. Especially when people actually own property to gain additional income.

bisonaudit
05-13-2020, 05:21 AM

The 5 counties surrounding the 4 largest cities are currently about 58.5%.