PDA

View Full Version : Scottie hazelton to Michigan state

bajadanny
02-28-2020, 01:16 PM
Hope kliman doesn’t look at Bizun head man?

THEsocalledfan
02-28-2020, 01:22 PM
Hope kliman doesn’t look at Bizun head man?

That would be a tough deal for Matt, i think. Only in year 2, and even though pay may be higher at K St (not sure with the bonuses/media pay he gets?), it is still a head job good for the resume later. Not to mention, assume still a substantial buyout too.

CentennialBison
02-28-2020, 01:28 PM
Luckily our coaches are too green for the FBS for now. They need to prove themselves for 2 more years before they get stolen.

Rock
02-28-2020, 01:43 PM
Doesn’t Bison Pride have legacy stemming from Michigan State? Anyone with decent memory ‘member that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison bison
02-28-2020, 01:47 PM
Good for him.

Bison bison
02-28-2020, 01:48 PM
That would be a tough deal for Matt, i think. Only in year 2, and even though pay may be higher at K St (not sure with the bonuses/media pay he gets?), it is still a head job good for the resume later. Not to mention, assume still a substantial buyout too.

Money talks.

El_Chapo
02-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Doesn’t Bison Pride have legacy stemming from Michigan State? Anyone with decent memory ‘member that.

Pat Perles?

good for Scottie. like I said in other post "did Hazelton START this Dynasty instead of Bohl?" hmmmmm

tony
02-28-2020, 02:01 PM
Pat Perles?

good for Scottie. like I said in other post "did Hazelton START this Dynasty instead of Bohl?" hmmmmm

Carl "Buck" Nystrom?

DORMIE
02-28-2020, 03:51 PM
Dan Enos. I believe he played QB there, was an OC here and later went to MSU.

THEsocalledfan
02-28-2020, 04:05 PM
Money talks.

Yeah, which is why the buyout would be a tough issue to overcome, I'd think.

BadlandsBison
02-28-2020, 04:28 PM
If this goes through, good for Hazelton. His turnaround of the defense after Breske is legendary.

Why would Kli take Entz with him now if he didn't on the first go 'round? What am I missing?

Bison bison
02-28-2020, 04:30 PM
I don't see it either.

He needs to spend at least another year in this role.

Vet70
02-28-2020, 04:37 PM
BV has to have something to fret about.

Professor Chaos
02-28-2020, 04:50 PM
If this goes through, good for Hazelton. His turnaround of the defense after Breske is legendary.

Why would Kli take Entz with him now if he didn't on the first go 'round? What am I missing?
Yep, if Entz wanted to be the DC at K-State he would've been it last year.

Good for Scottie... Klieman is about to be on DC #3 before year 2 even starts at K-State.

BadlandsBison
02-28-2020, 06:08 PM

Good for Scottie... Klieman is about to be on DC #3 before year 2 even starts at K-State.

Its also possible that Kli didn't want him, but who knows. Its a tricky time of year to find a new coordinator with spring practices underway and almost all college staffs filled out. Klieman will prefer someone with meaningful experience.

Bison Bridge Guy
02-28-2020, 06:14 PM
Its also possible that Kli didn't want him, but who knows. Its a tricky time of year to find a new coordinator with spring practices underway and almost all college staffs filled out. Klieman will prefer someone with meaningful experience.

Or someone he is familiar with. Seems like coaching hires can be as much about relationships as anything else.

ndsubison1
02-28-2020, 07:00 PM

Entz isnt leaving for a College DC job. It would have to be like an offer from Bama, LSU, Clemson, one of those IMO.

Klieman will probably want someone with experience against these high flying offenses.

Son of a Bison
02-28-2020, 07:36 PM
Bohl as DC would be ironic.

Bison bison
02-28-2020, 07:56 PM

Maybe he doesn't like being head coach.

It is a lot of pressure.

Vet70
02-28-2020, 08:14 PM
Maybe he doesn't like being head coach.

It is a lot of pressure.

I would imagine that being a DC at a P5 school would have a lot of pressure as well.

reformedUNDfan
02-28-2020, 08:45 PM

"Those who stay will be champions" is a University of Michigan motto. IIRC several early coaches came from there.

td577
02-29-2020, 09:21 PM
Entz isnt leaving for a College DC job. It would have to be like an offer from Bama, LSU, Clemson, one of those IMO.

Klieman will probably want someone with experience against these high flying offenses.Entz leaves for a P5 DC job in a heartbeat. Let's not get stupid about it. I don't think he was offered by Klieman last year and won't be now but if he is offered, he goes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Vet70
02-29-2020, 09:40 PM
This is a good thread. At least we are temporarily not discussing Cox, I mean Lance leaving.

23Bison
02-29-2020, 09:49 PM
Entz leaves for a P5 DC job in a heartbeat. Let's not get stupid about it. I don't think he was offered by Klieman last year and won't be now but if he is offered, he goes.

I don’t think bison1 is saying that Entz wouldn’t leave for a P5 DC position but maybe stating that he probably won’t be offered a position like that for another year or two. That’s my interpretation of it anyway.

td577
02-29-2020, 11:11 PM
I don’t think bison1 is saying that Entz wouldn’t leave for a P5 DC position but maybe stating that he probably won’t be offered a position like that for another year or two. That’s my interpretation of it anyway.My mistake then, I read it wrong.

Sorry bison1. We're on the same page.

My take on Entz. I think he is doing an ok job as HC. I don't think he was ever given full control of the defense as DC. I think there were many times Klieman stepped in and if you watch the past seasons game to game, there was a point in every season you could almost pinpoint Klieman taking over the defense. It could also be those points in the season the defensive playbook opened up too.

If the second way is true, I know I'm completely under estimating Entz as a defensive mastermind. If the first way is true, he was still doing a pretty good job until big brother stepped in. I don't think it is a coincidence every program Klieman has been a part of has been at the top of its level defensively within a couple of years of his being there.

AKBison
03-01-2020, 01:41 AM
Is Scottie wanting to be a head coach someday? He sure has jumped around a lot and had a good thing going at KSU. Would have liked to see him leg it out there for a few years.

DakotaOkie
03-01-2020, 02:16 AM
Is Scottie wanting to be a head coach someday? He sure has jumped around a lot and had a good thing going at KSU. Would have liked to see him leg it out there for a few years.
someone offers to double your personal salary (whatever it is...) and you’d say no? Make that new salary a million dollars per year at a leading company in your field of employment...gone! End of negotiations. No difference in the coaching profession.

bajadanny
03-01-2020, 11:00 AM
someone offers to double your personal salary (whatever it is...) and you’d say no? Make that new salary a million dollars per year at a leading company in your field of employment...gone! End of negotiations. No difference in the coaching profession.

Yep it is called a career rarely does one stay in the same place for a career

Everywhere he has been had good D

HC some day

HerdBot
03-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Matt could have been the defensive coordinator last year, not sure why that would change in 1 year

td577
03-01-2020, 03:07 PM
Matt could have been the defensive coordinator last year, not sure why that would change in 1 yearYou don't know if that was part of any plan.

Christopher Moen
03-01-2020, 05:49 PM
You don't know if that was part of any plan.

I have a hard time believing Klieman doesn’t take Entz with him if getting the HC job at NDSU was a clear possibility for Matt. Both are pretty close and I believe Matt was one of Chris’ first calls when Chris got the NDSU job.

td577
03-01-2020, 05:52 PM
I have a hard time believing Klieman doesn’t take Entz with him if getting the HC job at NDSU was a clear possibility for Matt. Both are pretty close and I believe Matt was one of Chris’ first calls when Chris got the NDSU job.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkEntz has said his first call was lobbying Larson for the Bison job. Who knows how those conversations went. Just because people are close doesn't mean all jobs are suited for them at the time.

Christopher Moen
03-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Entz has said his first call was lobbying Larson for the Bison job. Who knows how those conversations went. Just because people are close doesn't mean all jobs are suited for them at the time.

That’s just proof of Matt wanting the HC job as opposed to leaving with most of the staff to KSU.

TransAmBison
03-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Entz has said his first call was lobbying Larson for the Bison job. Who knows how those conversations went. Just because people are close doesn't mean all jobs are suited for them at the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkMy bet is Entz had the DC job if he wanted it...but he wanted to be HC. Klieman would have taken him fore sure...but he wanted what was best for Entz and was supportive of him...unlike Bohl was with Klieman.

Vet70
03-01-2020, 06:16 PM
Hazelton's salary last season was 550k with 196k in possible incentives. Entz made 380k and will get 419,500k next year. Entz must have wanted to be a HC awful bad.

NDSU1980
03-01-2020, 07:06 PM
Hazelton's salary last season was 550k with 196k in possible incentives. Entz made 380k and will get 419,500k next year. Entz must have wanted to be a HC awful bad.

It could be that Klieman wanted Entz but not as DC but rather as a position coach. Just guessing but it's possible.

HerdBot
03-01-2020, 07:29 PM
It could be that Klieman wanted Entz but not as DC but rather as a position coach. Just guessing but it's possible.

Highly doubt Klieman wouldn't have wanted the best coordinater from his own staff not to be a coordinator. I'm sure Matt made him know his goal was to be a head coach

Bisonator98
03-01-2020, 10:09 PM

The goal for most coaches is to be a HC someday. Don't think Scottie wants to be a HC. There's a reason he's only spent 2 years at every stop.

HerdBot
03-01-2020, 10:27 PM

Entz gets incentives too. Klieman made nearly 500 after media appearance fees, radio/tv shows, camps etc

Vet70
03-01-2020, 11:15 PM
Entz gets incentives too. Klieman made nearly 500 after media appearance fees, radio/tv shows, camps etc

According to The Forum, the 419,500 included all of the incentives in his contract for next season. Something is amiss though when they say the incentives top out at 44,500 which would be 424,500.
https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/998125-Entz-finalizes-five-year-contract-with-NDSU-similar-to-former-head-coach-Kliemans-deal

KSBisonFan
03-01-2020, 11:17 PM
The goal for most coaches is to be a HC someday. Don't think Scottie wants to be a HC. There's a reason he's only spent 2 years at every stop.

I agree with you. I've heard Scottie doesn't like to recruit. Maybe someone in the know can dispute or confirm.

AKBison
03-02-2020, 01:53 AM

I haven't followed it close enough but if his salary doubled and he now has the potential to make a cool million as a d coordinator then good for him.

HerdBot
03-02-2020, 02:45 AM
According to The Forum, the 419,500 included all of the incentives in his contract for next season. Something is amiss though when they say the incentives top out at 44,500 which would be 424,500.
https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/998125-Entz-finalizes-five-year-contract-with-NDSU-similar-to-former-head-coach-Kliemans-deal

So he basically got Kliemans 1st year contract. Klieman made way more by the end though because his media fee went up 5k per year (extra 20 grand year 5) he got a minimum of 3% which is almost 10 grand a year and he got another 50 grand if he was coach after 4 years.

Wish they started Matt a little higher. Would like to see the bar raise every year which is good for attracting quality coaches. Hope we continue to raise the other coach salaries too. Need to be comparable to most G5 schools. It's impossible to compete with power 5 but it was annoying to lose a coach like Polasek to a MAC school.

T-Funk
03-02-2020, 03:40 PM
Reports are that Klieman is staying in-house and will promote Klanderman to DC.