PDA

View Full Version : Jabril Cox coming back for next season!

tony
01-11-2020, 08:51 PM
We didn't talk about the possibility of him leaving early too much (some of us superstitious that way.)

I thought I heard that he was graduating (or already had.) He definitely has NFL ability.

El_Chapo
01-11-2020, 09:01 PM
he announced that? I thought he'd leave for sure.

WhoRepsTheLurker
01-11-2020, 09:06 PM

I'll let someone else hit this meatball

Kevin
01-11-2020, 09:08 PM

You should take your gut feeling and bet the farm on the opposite. It would be a great business model.

Twincitybizon
01-11-2020, 09:13 PM
Beth hoole asked the question and he answered he's staying I believe.

ThunderDan
01-11-2020, 09:17 PM
Who the fuck in their right mind thought he would leave? Some people's homer glasses are a little too thick.

El_Chapo
01-11-2020, 09:21 PM
Who the fuck in their right mind thought he would leave? Some people's homer glasses are a little too thick.

because he was basically disinterested the last 4-5 games and he is NFL ready.

ZHerd
01-11-2020, 09:26 PM

I hope he isn’t disinterested but he didn’t help his draft stock at all this year. I hope he has a monster year next year, tackles better, gets back to making big plays and kills the combine

ThunderDan
01-11-2020, 09:27 PM

Yep, your glasses are thick... Literally no NFL draft people were looking at him.
FCS guy leaving early? Of all the crazy shit you've said, this might be the best

ZHerd
01-11-2020, 09:29 PM
Yep, your glasses are thick... Literally no NFL draft people were looking at him.
FCS guy leaving early? Of all the crazy shit you've said, this might be the best

I guarantee nfl people have been looking at him but he didn’t show nearly as well as last year

ndsubison1
01-11-2020, 09:31 PM

If you didnt think it was a possibility early on then youre not the bright one.

ThunderDan
01-11-2020, 09:32 PM
I guarantee nfl people have been looking at him but he didn’t show nearly as well as last year
Not looking at him as a draft pick... As a junior in the FCS.... Guarantee you that

ndsubison1
01-11-2020, 09:32 PM

There were Falcons scouts at the UCD game

ThunderDan
01-11-2020, 09:33 PM

Who has left the FCS early and been drafted high? Please tell me

Bison20
01-11-2020, 09:34 PM

Uni had a linebacker leave early a couple years ago. Don’t think it worked out very well. Would have to have dominated every year to make it happen but I do think cox will make it. He’s just to talented.

Bison"FANatic"
01-11-2020, 09:34 PM
This season seemed to be two different season for him, prior to injury and post being injured. He just didn't seem 100% the last part of the season, He is so good that still was better than just about anybody on the field though.

Big Bird
01-11-2020, 09:40 PM
Despite the "down" year for him, I did think he might leave early. The LB class in this years draft is not very good, and there are a bunch of teams that are desperate for linebackers who can cover.

Say what you want about his tackling, but he was pretty great in coverage and often matched up against slot receivers and more than held his own. He's also a very good athlete who will probably test very well at the combine.

Glad to have him back.

ndsubison1
01-11-2020, 09:40 PM

I dont think anyone was saying he could go 1st round this season

TAILG8R
01-11-2020, 09:42 PM
because he was basically disinterested the last 4-5 games and he is NFL ready.Dude with the beer down you're a f****** idiot come back tomorrow

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

marenlee
01-11-2020, 09:43 PM
Recently I saw scouting reports of him at a 4th round grade if he left early. Matt Entz was asked earlier in the week and said Jabril was coming back. Not a hard decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThunderDan
01-11-2020, 09:46 PM
Recently I saw scouting reports of him at a 4th round grade if he left early. Matt Entz was asked earlier in the week and said Jabril was coming back. Not a hard decision.

I can dig deep into the internet to find random scouting reports too.

sgt smash
01-11-2020, 09:46 PM

Taiwan Jones?

sgt smash
01-11-2020, 09:48 PM
Yep. Taiwan Jones, 4th RD 2011 Draft.

sgt smash
01-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Did you know that people don’t follow the same path to professional sports just because of where they are. Charlie Ward won the Heisman and then played in the NBA.

ndsubison1
01-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Yep. Taiwan Jones, 4th RD 2011 Draft.

Terrance West 3rd rd after his Jr season

Bison20
01-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Trey lance if he has another dominate year

ZHerd
01-11-2020, 09:58 PM
If Trey improves in a few areas he could leave early. If his improvement trajectory is similar to previous Bison QBs he could be the first guy off the board in the 1st round

ByeSonBusiness
01-11-2020, 10:00 PM
I doubt he'll go but he can change his mind.

Notre Dame's TE said he'd be staying like 5 or 6 weeks ago and changed his mind after their bowl game.

Has Cox requested a draft grade?

ThunderDan
01-11-2020, 10:00 PM
If Trey improves in a few areas he could leave early. If his improvement trajectory is similar to previous Bison QBs he could be the first guy off the board in the 1st round

This I do believe. I could see him being a top qb after his junior season.

El_Chapo
01-11-2020, 10:10 PM

yea dan is wrong on this. so is Tailgater8

ThunderDan
01-11-2020, 10:23 PM
yea dan is wrong on this. so is Tailgater8

He isn't entering the draft... But I'm wrong.
Your world is a strange one

marenlee
01-11-2020, 11:13 PM
I can dig deep into the internet to find random scouting reports too.

I was giving just one reason why he’s staying. That was the best I could find. Absolutely no reason to declare early.

Bison20
01-11-2020, 11:18 PM
I think he isn’t involved as much because teams avoid him and gameplan to not have him be a factor. He did have some missed tackles but hard to imagine with his size and speed and ability to cover that he can’t play in the nfl

El_Chapo
01-11-2020, 11:40 PM
He isn't entering the draft... But I'm wrong.
Your world is a strange one

the point was, there's lot of people that thought he'd go out early.

like Jabril or anyone gives a crap about Beth freakin hoole, if he gets talked to be an agent or a couple nfl exec's and tell him he'd be a 2nd or 3rd round pic, you're dam right he'll go, so it's still a possibility until April 1

td577
01-12-2020, 12:03 AM
I think he isn’t involved as much because teams avoid him and gameplan to not have him be a factor. He did have some missed tackles but hard to imagine with his size and speed and ability to cover that he can’t play in the nflHe's going to be playing on Sundays at some point in the future. You are right, putting him in coverage has opponents game planning away from him. JMU nearly paid very dearly challenging Cox today.

I hope he is back next year because the second Cox has a pro day or goes to a combine, his stock will skyrocket. Anyone who doesn't think he couldn't go to the draft now, is delusional. It is all about how high he could go. I forget the no brainer cut off. Im guessing it is around the 3rd round.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MontBison
01-12-2020, 01:55 AM
Dude prolly needs shoulder surgery. Ever since he wore that shoulder brace he’s tackled like ass. Me thinks he didn’t want it to get hit very hard because it was messed up.

Christopher Moen
01-12-2020, 06:07 AM
Uni had a linebacker leave early a couple years ago. Don’t think it worked out very well. Would have to have dominated every year to make it happen but I do think cox will make it. He’s just to talented.

According to a rumor at the time, I believe that UNI player left earlier because he failed a test.

In regards to Jabril having a “down” year compared to last year, have you guys forget, again, he’s not playing the same LB position?

HerdistheWord
01-12-2020, 01:15 PM
According to a rumor at the time, I believe that UNI player left earlier because he failed a test.

In regards to Jabril having a “down” year compared to last year, have you guys forget, again, he’s not playing the same LB position?

His coverage skills were very good this year for a LB, but as most have stated on here, there were a lot of missed tackles this year that could be cleaned up. I think he could improve his draft stock by staying personally.

tony
01-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Man, if he was playing hurt, the way he blew up that WR screen is even more incredible.

SFBisonFan
01-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Did he hurt his right shoulder earlier this year? I noticed between plays in the second quarter that he was tugging on his arm. Looked like he was trying to pop something back.

GreenfieldBison
01-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Did he hurt his right shoulder earlier this year? I noticed between plays in the second quarter that he was tugging on his arm. Looked like he was trying to pop something back.

Pretty sure he did but I can’t remember which game it was. Nothing has been said publicly either. I did see him favoring that arm a bit too on the sideline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

heffray
01-12-2020, 02:59 PM
Was just rewatching the game. Anyone else notice the wildcat direct snap to Jabril in the second quarter? He fell down and a chop block was called on the play, so not much to see, but I’m wondering if we see more of it next year?

GreenfieldBison
01-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Was just rewatching the game. Anyone else notice the wildcat direct snap to Jabril in the second quarter? He fell down and a chop block was called on the play, so not much to see, but I’m wondering if we see more of it next year?

Yeah saw that in real time. Too bad he slipped on that cut attempt. That was the only slip I noticed in the game. It could be happening more. I think he was a QB in high school right?

heffray
01-12-2020, 03:19 PM
Yeah saw that in real time. Too bad he slipped on that cut attempt. That was the only slip I noticed in the game. It could be happening more. I think he was a QB in high school right?

Correct. He can definitely play offense.

Tony Almeida
01-12-2020, 05:15 PM
Devil's advocate here...but does anyone think the coaching changes have anything to do with his "down year" along with him changing sides at the LB position?

2011BisonAlumni
01-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Devil's advocate here...but does anyone think the coaching changes have anything to do with his "down year" along with him changing sides at the LB position?

Yes, but IMO the primary reason is teams don't even try to run/pass in his direction. It is almost like Deion Sanders back in the day.

In any regard, why is there even a narrative that Jabril had a "down year"?

2018- 91 total tackles, 4 INT's and 4 sacks in 15 games
2019- 92 total tackles, 1 INT, and 4.5 sacks in 15 games.

Bison"FANatic"
01-12-2020, 05:53 PM
He is so fun to watch play football, I still say the best to come through NDSU. That big of a impact on the game.

23Bison
01-12-2020, 10:52 PM
I wish he could go back to ILB so we can see him hit some people in traffic rather than following receivers all over the field.

ZHerd
01-12-2020, 10:55 PM
I wish he could go back to ILB so we can see him hit some people in traffic rather than following receivers all over the field.

I get what you mean but following receivers is huge for the D. Beck and Carlton LittleJohn being able to do this for 2013 squad is one major reason that unit was so good

23Bison
01-12-2020, 11:03 PM
I get what you mean but following receivers is huge for the D. Beck and Carlton LittleJohn being able to do this for 2013 squad is one major reason that unit was so good
Oh I hear ya and understand that but I wish there was someone else that could do it just as good so Jabril could go head hunting.

Bison20
01-13-2020, 01:18 AM
Oh I hear ya and understand that but I wish there was someone else that could do it just as good so Jabril could go head hunting.

You could easily move him back and let kaczor follow the receiver around. Just let Jabril loose like before. Design some blitzes, he’s like a missile and qb doesn’t stand a chance.

23Bison
01-13-2020, 01:22 AM
You could easily move him back and let kaczor follow the receiver around. Just let Jabril loose like before. Design some blitzes, he’s like a missile and qb doesn’t stand a chance.

Dad? Is that you? :judges: This will work!

CaBisonFan
01-13-2020, 02:05 AM
Who the fuck in their right mind thought he would leave? Some people's homer glasses are a little too thick.I disagree. Jabril is one of the best athletes that the Bison have ever had.

El_Chapo
01-13-2020, 02:42 AM
well that RAIDERS want Jabril

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/12/16/2020-raiders-draft-prospect-lb-jabril-cox/

and Yahoo College Sports Writer thinks Jabril is going into NFL Draft:

top prospects for both teams in the championship game:

NORTH DAKOTA STATE

1. Jabril Cox, LB, So., 6-3, 231 (jersey No. 42) - Has ideal physical tools and can run, but needs to become a little more consistent as he will make big plays and then just be a guy. Needs to show he is best player on the field every play, because he is. Grade: 2nd-3rd round.

Christopher Moen
01-13-2020, 03:09 AM

I believe JMU players slipped a few times in that same area. One was during a kick-off and the other resulted in a bad run play that led to their last FG.

ndsubison1
01-13-2020, 03:24 AM
Beth looking for clickbait. At the same time, if he were to leave he has the tools to be 3rd round and who knows if you test well at combine and workouts. I think he will be back, but things could change

Bisonator98
01-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Can't believe some rubes thought this was a possibility.:rolleyes:

tke
01-13-2020, 05:15 PM
he announced that? I thought he'd leave for sure.Did you talk to his family too?

southcliffbison
01-13-2020, 10:46 PM
Did you talk to his family too?

He got the text.

El_Chapo
01-14-2020, 05:43 AM
Did you talk to his family too?

i have... but my only point in all of this is.... beth freakin hoole's 1 liner from him WILL NOT stop him from declaring for NFL draft if in the next month he gets a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick whispered in his ear.

Professor Chaos
01-14-2020, 11:14 AM
i have... but my only point in all of this is.... beth freakin hoole's 1 liner from him WILL NOT stop him from declaring for NFL draft if in the next month he gets a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick whispered in his ear.
He's coming back. Feel free to bookmark this and come back to it in a week (which is when the deadline for early entry declaration is).

That said him leaving early isn't as crazy as some of you think. Josh Buchanan, who has a good track record of projecting NFL draft picks at the FCS level, had him with a 4th round grade (link (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200106100613740128304&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS)) which is pretty good. A lot of underclassmen have left early and been picked later than that or not at all.

El_Chapo
01-15-2020, 02:37 AM
He's coming back. Feel free to bookmark this and come back to it in a week (which is when the deadline for early entry declaration is).

That said him leaving early isn't as crazy as some of you think. Josh Buchanan, who has a good track record of projecting NFL draft picks at the FCS level, had him with a 4th round grade (link (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200106100613740128304&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS)) which is pretty good. A lot of underclassmen have left early and been picked later than that or not at all.

OH shit, I just saw that Jan 20th is the deadline for declaring... that only gave him 8-9 days after a title to think about it. not much time.

ndsubison1
01-15-2020, 03:01 AM
OH shit, I just saw that Jan 20th is the deadline for declaring... that only gave him 8-9 days after a title to think about it. not much time.

Its January 17.

El_Chapo
01-15-2020, 03:20 AM
Its January 17.

Sporting news article says Jan 20
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-declaration-tracker-2020-college-football-underclassmen/1dkjkyyvzsfdmzsq8xyte3jdc

Important NFL Draft dates
Jan. 18: East-West Shrine Game (St. Petersburg, Fla.)
Jan. 20: Deadline to declare for the 2020 NFL Draft
Jan. 24: Full list of approved early entrants presented to all 32 NFL teams
Jan. 25: Reese's Senior Bowl (Mobile, Ala.)
Feb. 24-March 2: NFL Scouting Combine (Indianapolis)
Apr. 23-25: 2020 NFL Draft (Las Vegas)

southcliffbison
01-15-2020, 03:37 AM
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-declaration-tracker-2020-college-football-underclassmen/1dkjkyyvzsfdmzsq8xyte3jdc

Don't bunch up your panties over this, Chapo, he'll be back.

El_Chapo
01-15-2020, 03:40 AM
Don't bunch up your panties over this, Chapo, he'll be back.

I would of went.. plus I thought deadline was Feb 20. not Jan 20. huge difference

BadlandsBison
01-15-2020, 12:50 PM
I would of went.. plus I thought deadline was Feb 20. not Jan 20. huge difference

I'm shocked he didn't take advice from you.

ndsubison1
01-15-2020, 01:57 PM

Jan. 17 for underclassmen to declare. Allowed to backout until Jan. 20.

"Below are underclassmen whose intentions to enter the 2020 NFL Draft (http://www.nfl.com/draft) have been stated, sorted by school. Underclassmen have until Jan. 17 to file declaration papers with the league, with a 72-hour period to reconsider that commences on Jan. 20. The list of underclassmen who have been approved for entry by the NFL will be released to the 32 teams on Jan. 21.

The NFL granted special eligibility to 103 underclassmen for the 2019 draft, one year after a record 106 underclassmen were approved for the 2018 draft. Twenty-nine percent of the underclassmen who received special eligibility went undrafted in 2019."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083651/article/tracking-underclassmen-intentions-for-2020-nfl-draft

totoinfl
01-15-2020, 02:04 PM
Looks like we are both right:

Below are underclassmen whose intentions to enter the 2020 NFL Draft (http://www.nfl.com/draft) have been stated, sorted by school. Underclassmen have until Jan. 17 to file declaration papers with the league, with a 72-hour period to reconsider that commences on Jan. 20. The list of underclassmen who have been approved for entry by the NFL will be released to the 32 teams on Jan. 21.
The NFL granted special eligibility to 103 underclassmen for the 2019 draft, one year after a record 106 underclassmen were approved for the 2018 draft. Twenty-nine percent of the underclassmen who received special eligibility went undrafted in 2019.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083651/article/tracking-underclassmen-intentions-for-2020-nfl-draft

There was some discussion during the game on Monday night that underclassmen for LSU and Clemson would only have 3 or 4 days to make a decision...so the 17th makes sense. Saban wants to petition the NFL and NCAA to extend the date now that the last college games are played later in January.

ndsubison1
01-15-2020, 02:07 PM
There was some discussion during the game on Monday night that underclassmen for LSU and Clemson would only have 3 or 4 days to make a decision...so the 17th makes sense. Saban wants to petition the NFL and NCAA to extend the date now that the last college games are played later in January.

I could see that happening and probably should.

Professor Chaos
01-15-2020, 02:09 PM
The NBA's system is so much better in this regard. Underclassmen can declare and go through the pre-draft process but if they don't hire an agent they can back out up until I believe a month or so before the draft and go back to school retaining their eligibility. So many NFL prospects get bad information that inflates their value and until they go through the pre-draft evaluations it's really speculative to put draft grades on them... like ndsubison posted above nearly one third of early entrants didn't even get drafted last year.

IndyBison
01-15-2020, 08:47 PM
The NBA's system is so much better in this regard. Underclassmen can declare and go through the pre-draft process but if they don't hire an agent they can back out up until I believe a month or so before the draft and go back to school retaining their eligibility. So many NFL prospects get bad information that inflates their value and until they go through the pre-draft evaluations it's really speculative to put draft grades on them... like ndsubison posted above nearly one third of early entrants didn't even get drafted last year.

I'm guessing one reason that works for the NBA is the college season is done the first week of April and the NBA season doesn't end until mid-June. For football there is only a 2-3 week difference. I just looked and the NBA Finals could go as late as June 21 and the draft is June 25. They do their draft before free agency. NFL starts free agency before the draft.

NDSU1980
01-15-2020, 09:23 PM
I'm shocked he didn't take advice from you.

He did, then did the opposite. Smart man

CAS4127
01-15-2020, 09:46 PM
He did, then did the opposite. Smart man

All of the Ducks’ draft-able D players announced they are staying too.