PDA

View Full Version : Montana State GDT

El_Chapo
12-16-2019, 03:57 AM
Whoa, NDSU can beat Montana State Twice this week!

Monday at NDSU 7pm central on ESPN + to watch.

NDSU is 6-4
Montana State 4-3 ( I only count D1 wins)

NDSU is -8 favorite according to my bookie.

Mr Meaty
12-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Let's get Cat week going in style with a BB win tonight in the SHAC. Go 1-0 today...…..

bisonfan08
12-16-2019, 02:41 PM
I unfortunately have to miss this one to coach my daughter's practice tonight but will be sure to catch the 2nd half on ESPN+. Gonna need to bring the same energy and effectiveness we had against ETSU to get this W, need to protect the home court and start Montana St. week off on the right foot!

Professor Chaos
12-16-2019, 04:19 PM
The first NCAA NET rankings came out today. NDSU sits at 196. Amongst Summit League teams they're 3rd behind USD (83) and Omaha (157).

Some other notables are ETSU at 106, Montana St at 220, and Marquette at 53.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

tony
12-16-2019, 04:25 PM
HAha! Sorry, thought Lakes was creating a game day thread for the football game.

The original post featured the phrase, "Cheese and rice!"

bruinbison
12-16-2019, 07:16 PM
Montana State (6-3) recently beat the Jackrabbits 77-70 in Bozeman.
They are led by their best import from Norway since Jan Stenerud,*
leading scorer Harald Frey (6’ 2” SR)(16.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.7 apg, 36% on threes)

New head coach Danny Sprinke has rebuilt the Bobcats quickly with a roster with many transfers and international players - 3 internationals in the starting lineup, 6 total.
Sprinkle himself is from Helena High and is a former Bobcat player.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Stenerud

IzzyFlexion
12-16-2019, 07:47 PM
The Bison rank 322nd in the nation is 1st half scoring. (27.5 points).

In all of last season, NDSU averaged 34.9 ppg in the 1st half.

HoopsBison
12-16-2019, 11:16 PM
Ndsu will be short handed tonight. Sam and Jared both out tonight. Sam in crutches.

El_Chapo
12-16-2019, 11:29 PM
HAha! Sorry, thought Lakes was creating a game day thread for the football game.

The original post featured the phrase, "Cheese and rice!"

and we wonder why we aren't a basketball school LOL

NDSU line hasn't moved -8 O/U 134

Ill predict 77-67 hitting the parlay $$$

KSBisonFan
12-16-2019, 11:33 PM
Ndsu will be short handed tonight. Sam and Jared both out tonight. Sam in crutches.

That sucks but a great opportunity for Knotek and Maleek to log some big minutes*

*I'm hoping these are the guys picking up the slack, and not Quayle

Mr Meaty
12-16-2019, 11:39 PM
That sucks but a great opportunity for Knotek and Maleek to log some big minutes*

*I'm hoping these are the guys picking up the slack, and not Quayle
Maybe go big with Rocky and Wits at same time.

KSBisonFan
12-16-2019, 11:54 PM
Maybe go big with Rocky and Wits at same time.

Whoa, settle down there, Mr Meaty! I'm gonna need you to provide an ID and step away from the vehicle.

I've been a proponent of playing 2 bigs for a long time and have pretty much give up on that dream but I'm glad I'm not alone.

Bison03
12-16-2019, 11:56 PM
The bar in the Shac is packed...for what its worth. Hope I get out alive with all the drunken hooligans!!

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 12:07 AM
The bar in the Shac is packed...for what its worth. Hope I get out alive with all the drunken hooligans!!

5 for Ward early!

marenlee
12-17-2019, 12:08 AM
Son of a bitch. Work computers make ESPN think we're in Japan. So no access to ESPN+. Guess I'm leaving work early.

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 12:08 AM
7-4 NDSU we on pace for 200 points glad i took the over

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 12:10 AM
Tyson again. 7 points!

12-6 vinnie for 3

4 travels for bobcats

Bisman
12-17-2019, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE=marenlee;1394352]Son of a bitch. Work computers make ESPN think we're in Japan. So no access to ESPN+. Guess I'm leaving work early.[/QUOTE

I use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) too. It is easy to turn mine off.

Bison03
12-17-2019, 12:13 AM
They have 4 travels in 4 min! Ha!

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 12:22 AM
whoa. 15-15?? cripes

marenlee
12-17-2019, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=marenlee;1394352]Son of a bitch. Work computers make ESPN think we're in Japan. So no access to ESPN+. Guess I'm leaving work early.[/QUOTE

I use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) too. It is easy to turn mine off.

Not an option at work for me (government computers). Don't need a VPN outside of work except for Disney+ (I can rant about that for days).

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 12:29 AM
25-21 NDSU 850 left so much for my over bet :(

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 12:33 AM
whos commercial was that lady throwing a weiner at guy??? what the...

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 12:42 AM
well apparently a 2-3 ZONE beats NDSU.. because we don't have offensive sets and just pass it around and chucked up 2 deeper 3's

CalBison97
12-17-2019, 12:44 AM
I dislike our white uniforms. I prefer gold home unis. I also dislike our shooting skills.

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 12:45 AM
can Midco fix that green color on the bottom ?? that's not NDSU's primary color

NDSU 34 -31 30 secs left. we chuckin 3's again :(

26% from 3

steelbison
12-17-2019, 01:01 AM
They have shot 4 threes we have shot 19. We have committed 3 turnovers they have 8. Yet we only lead by three....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:06 AM
They have shot 4 threes we have shot 19. We have committed 3 turnovers they have 8. Yet we only lead by three....

Correction.

They winning 34-36

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:08 AM
ward misses free throws, rocky misses a bunny

and its 34-38 bobcats. argh.

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:12 AM
Eady for 3! after a nice drive and dish from Ward...

NDSU up 41 40

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:16 AM
Knotek from 3.

44-40

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:17 AM
Knotek from 3.

44-40

and another 3 from him

47-43

unbison
12-17-2019, 01:18 AM
Just saw Richman laughing and smiling with a ref... was unbelievable

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:26 AM
ok break this open Vinnie for old fashioned 3 pushes it to 54 45

Unbison video or it didnt happen :)

steelbison
12-17-2019, 01:34 AM
Harden Hayes needs to play more. Like his game

KSBisonFan
12-17-2019, 01:37 AM

I call bullshit....

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:38 AM
66-54 OVER looking good.

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:41 AM
if montana state threw down low to that big guy for a dunk every time.. they'd be up 20 on us haha hopefully their football coach is as dumb as their basketball coach

THEsocalledfan
12-17-2019, 01:44 AM
So we can we end all this b******* a people thinking that it is smart basketball to just Chuck 3-pointers? Tonight you saw the recipe that makes this team an elite mid-major. Solid three-point looks while attacking the rim.

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:49 AM
richman gonna get in rocky's face and yell on tv... hmmm reminded me of that geu pic... but oh well maybe he missed an assignment and can handle criticism

my spread is in danger here, was up 13 now only up 7 72-65,:banghead::banghead::banghead:

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 01:52 AM
So we can we end all this b******* a people thinking that it is smart basketball to just Chuck 3-pointers? Tonight you saw the recipe that makes this team an elite mid-major. Solid three-point looks while attacking the rim.

the players are driving and kicking more, that is a good thing. Tyson posting up more and Cam on the floor helping with ball movement

up 79 65 after Vinnie long 3 and game should be over here

Tyson 19 pt 13 reb

CASH MONEY!!

THEsocalledfan
12-17-2019, 02:00 AM
the players are driving and kicking more, that is a good thing. Tyson posting up more and Cam on the floor helping with ball movement

up 79 65 after Vinnie long 3 and game should be over here

Tyson 19 pt 13 reb

CASH MONEY!!

Agree with you lakes. Can't figure out why they didn't try to do that earlier in the year but glad they're figuring it out. I know Rocky's good at defense but my goodness, Witz>>>>>>>>>Rocky for offense. It was refreshing to see a real post play.

Professor Chaos
12-17-2019, 02:09 AM
Loved the contributions from Witz and Harden-Hayes tonight. Knotek had a nice game also but those first two really showed they can contribute 10-15 minutes per night maybe up to 20 on nights they're really needed.

Monster opportunity on Friday now in Milwaukee. If they have any hopes for anything better than a 14 seed if they make the dance they'll need that one.

HoopsBison
12-17-2019, 02:28 AM
Solid win, Montana State has some quality players, their two guards were terrific. Good to see some bench guys step up and rise to the moment. MHH, Knotek, and Witz all contributed very nicely. Qualye provided some decent minutes as well but needs to play with more confidence on the offensive side if hes going to get that amount of minutes. Krueser and Hunter both didnt have great games, Griesel nor Samuelson played, shows this team has good depth. Tyson was terrific, 19pts 13rebs and 5 assists.

The coaches were not happy with the shot selection in the first half, MSU switches defenses a ton and we settle for so many bad 3's. We were 5-19 from 3 in the first half. Compared to 5/7 in the second half when we were attacking and playing inside out.

Next up is Marquette, who have one of the best scorers in college basketball.

El_Chapo
12-17-2019, 02:28 AM
Loved the contributions from Witz and Harden-Hayes tonight. Knotek had a nice game also but those first two really showed they can contribute 10-15 minutes per night maybe up to 20 on nights they're really needed.

Monster opportunity on Friday now in Milwaukee. If they have any hopes for anything better than a 14 seed if they make the dance they'll need that one.

unfortunately if you click on the summit league standings and see the records and bad losses, #16 seed is what we are getting unless we rattle off the next 20 wins and finish 27-4 than a #14 seed

Bison bison
12-17-2019, 02:42 AM
Solid win, Montana State has some quality players, their two guards were terrific. Good to see some bench guys step up and rise to the moment. MHH, Knotek, and Witz all contributed very nicely. Qualye provided some decent minutes as well but needs to play with more confidence on the offensive side if hes going to get that amount of minutes. Krueser and Hunter both didnt have great games, Griesel nor Samuelson played, shows this team has good depth. Tyson was terrific, 19pts 13rebs and 5 assists.

The coaches were not happy with the shot selection in the first half, MSU switches defenses a ton and we settle for so many bad 3's. We were 5-19 from 3 in the first half. Compared to 5/7 in the second half when we were attacking and playing inside out.

Next up is Marquette, who have one of the best scorers in college basketball.

That was some pretty decent basketball.

Might actually buy some ice cream at the next game as I think the impulse to gouge my eyes out has subsided/will be safe around spoons and bison basketball again.

HoopsBison
12-17-2019, 03:28 AM
Gotta feel for Sam, just gets healthy and has another setback. Sure sounds like he will be out for awhile.

Griesel was on crutches on the bench after having an injury setback over the weekend, Richman said. The Bison next play at Marquette on Friday, Dec. 20, before they start Summit League play on Dec. 29 at Denver. Richman said Griesel will likely miss the start of conference play with a knew injury. Richman added Samuelson is day-to-day and wasn't sure if he would be ready to play against Marquette.

"Sam is going to be out for a period of time. He's more week-by-week," Richman said. "It's a pretty significant setback."

SlickVic
12-17-2019, 03:32 AM
That was some pretty decent basketball.

Might actually buy some ice cream at the next game as I think the impulse to gouge my eyes out has subsided/will be safe around spoons and bison basketball again.

That 2nd half was like watching a surgery out there I was having flashbacks from the Moorhead spuds circa early 2000s! I think it's safe to say we found our style fellas now these next 2 months time 4 Tyson to start developing that killer instinct need to post up some 20+ point blowouts and just break these summit league teams--------i don't care If they gotta take a greyhound bus and stay In the biggest flea bag motel Milwaukee's got, I'll take them to beat Marquette straight up with this brand of basketball

ndsubison1
12-17-2019, 03:41 AM
Better double Howard hes already put up 51, 40, and 38.

EC8CH
12-17-2019, 04:05 AM
Team showed some depth tonight. Wintz has some moves in the post and can finish. Team can put up some points when they work the offense and don't just settle for lazy 3s. Starting to look like a fun season ahead. Get your asses to the SHAC.

Mr Meaty
12-17-2019, 12:06 PM

It's a Christmas Miracle. Every time Richman smiles an Angel gets its wings....

Mr Meaty
12-17-2019, 12:08 PM

Great play by the bench as you said. Still do not understand why we augered up so many 3's in the first half. Drive and dish or layup was working.

bisonfan08
12-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Didn't get to see the whole game but really liked what I saw in the 2nd half, we let them get a quick 7-0 to start the half and then responded and played a great inside out offense in the 2nd half. Really liked what we got out of Witz, Knotek and MHH. Maleeck should get 15-20 minutes a game, he's earned it, he brings so much energy and his athleticism is through the roof. Quayle is terrible, he actually looks worse than last year. I'm not sure what was wrong with Samuelson last night but when he gets back I feel like we need to go to the same 9 man rotation we had last night just with Samuelson instead of Quayle and play that until Griesel gets back. If someone gets in foul trouble we have the depth to get through it but we have 10 players when Griesel is healthy that should play all of the minutes they can before Quayle touches the floor IMO, he had one great game on defense against Konchar and IPFW last year and I feel like he's still benefiting from one performance. My apologies for the rant, I've just never been a fan of his.

Professor Chaos
12-17-2019, 01:35 PM
Didn't get to see the whole game but really liked what I saw in the 2nd half, we let them get a quick 7-0 to start the half and then responded and played a great inside out offense in the 2nd half. Really liked what we got out of Witz, Knotek and MHH. Maleeck should get 15-20 minutes a game, he's earned it, he brings so much energy and his athleticism is through the roof. Quayle is terrible, he actually looks worse than last year. I'm not sure what was wrong with Samuelson last night but when he gets back I feel like we need to go to the same 9 man rotation we had last night just with Samuelson instead of Quayle and play that until Griesel gets back. If someone gets in foul trouble we have the depth to get through it but we have 10 players when Griesel is healthy that should play all of the minutes they can before Quayle touches the floor IMO, he had one great game on defense against Konchar and IPFW last year and I feel like he's still benefiting from one performance. My apologies for the rant, I've just never been a fan of his.
MHH's performances are starting to remind me of Dex's breakout in '14/'15... just infectious energy that I think resonates with his teammates and the crowd just like it did with Dex. Dex was more refined offensively but he was also a redshirt sophomore that year and MHH is just a true freshman this year.

imabison
12-17-2019, 01:43 PM

Samuelson right hand had fingers taped together, he was passing the ball with his left hand during warmups.

bisonfan08
12-17-2019, 01:44 PM
MHH's performances are starting to remind me of Dex's breakout in '14/'15... just infectious energy that I think resonates with his teammates and the crowd just like it did with Dex. Dex was more refined offensively but he was also a redshirt sophomore that year and MHH is just a true freshman this year.

Exactly, pure hustle, all over the offensive glass and every loose ball he can get too. He gets out of position on defense here and there but I can live with it with everything else he brings. He has Deng Geu-ish athleticism with a much more refined offensive skill set at his young age. I love his game, hope to continue to see his minutes grow.

bisonfan08
12-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Samuelson right hand had fingers taped together, he was passing the ball with his left hand during warmups.

Taped versus in a splint is a good sign, likely just a sprain/jam versus a broken figure or ligament issue

imabison
12-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Taped versus in a splint is a good sign, likely just a sprain/jam versus a broken figure or ligament issue

Definitely agree with taped vs splint, however Sam Griesel on crutches. Not sure how serious that knee is.

Professor Chaos
12-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Definitely agree with taped vs splint, however Sam Griesel on crutches. Not sure who serious that knee is.
HoopsBison posted it on the last page but Richman said that Griesel suffered a "significant" setback and is week-to-week now with his expected return being after the first week or two of conference play at the earliest.

Bison"FANatic"
12-17-2019, 03:07 PM
It was nice to see some players getting to the rim and not just chucking it from 3. We have to be able to get to the rim and have a inside game to play good ball. Some nights you can live by the 3 but there are to many nights that you will die by the 3.

It was fun watching MHH play ball and Tyson what do you say that was a great game and it looked like he was having fun

I have a 8 year old daughter that thinks Bison basketball revolves around Tyson, It has been Tyson this and Tyson that since he started playing here. When he missed the 2 free throws last night she was ready to give him a talking to, "You have to make your free throws........"

StL Bison Fan
12-17-2019, 03:11 PM
I don’t know what the pep band was having last night, but they were sure fun.
I can’t imagine a bb game without them.

roadwarrior
12-17-2019, 05:31 PM
I don’t know what the pep band was having last night, but they were sure fun.
I can’t imagine a bb game without them.

Well, the band does a certain cheer every time the opponent gets a travelling call. MSU got four such calls in the first five minutes of the game.

StL Bison Fan
12-17-2019, 08:47 PM
Well, the band does a certain cheer every time the opponent gets a travelling call. MSU got four such calls in the first five minutes of the game.

Didn’t you think they were wound up more last night? They make things fun and I sure appreciate them

imabison
12-18-2019, 12:50 AM
Didn’t you think they were wound up more last night? They make things fun and I sure appreciate them

They seemed to have a meet and greet up in the stands before they started, and then sat higher up than normal. Perhaps to make it louder. Definitely were good as always.

EC8CH
12-18-2019, 03:32 AM

Moved my seats closer to the band. Sat closer to them at Scheels arena and missed it in the SHAC. They bring the energy and make it fun.

El_Chapo
12-18-2019, 04:05 AM
how in the F did NDSU basketball have 1000-1500 Students at the BSA and cant get 100-150 at the SHAC. its perplexing as hell

EC8CH
12-18-2019, 04:10 AM
how in the F did NDSU basketball have 1000-1500 Students at the BSA and cant get 100-150 at the SHAC. its perplexing as hell

See student football attendance. This generation of students just doesn't attend sporting events. A rowdy student section would make games so much more fun though.

BisonJD
12-18-2019, 02:19 PM
See student football attendance. This generation of students just doesn't attend sporting events. A rowdy student section would make games so much more fun though.

It's too bad. Talk to any AD in the SL and they will tell you that one of the biggest challenges is student engagement. USD's new Associate AD has literally made it his mission to restore the Coyote Crazies because they just don't come to games. TV coverage, 50" 4K TVs, and a comfortable couch make it too easy to stay home.

On a positive note, the "Dave Richman ruined NDSU/Stole my Christmas Presents/Burned Down the Turf/Caused my Divorce thread has fallen all the way down to #4 in the que. That's a win for the program.

Strommer10
12-18-2019, 03:55 PM

It's really sad to see how far the student engagement has dropped in the past 5 years for everything, not just basketball. When I was at NDSU, we had leaders among the student body that would recruit others to come to games. And when at the games, there were leaders that would direct the student sections in chants and when to cheer (Other than hired "Yell Leaders"). It made attending events fun, which in turn led to more students wanting to show up.

bisonfan08
12-18-2019, 04:20 PM
It's really sad to see how far the student engagement has dropped in the past 5 years for everything, not just basketball. When I was at NDSU, we had leaders among the student body that would recruit others to come to games. And when at the games, there were leaders that would direct the student sections in chants and when to cheer (Other than hired "Yell Leaders"). It made attending events fun, which in turn led to more students wanting to show up.

Yeah I just don't get it, 13,000 undergrad students, 2,200 or so of which are freshman on campus, how we can't get at least 500 students to every game perplexes me. It's free, it's an activity to do with friends and it can be as fun as you make it. I had a blast going to games while I was in college for the same reasons as above.

Tony Almeida
12-18-2019, 04:44 PM
Yeah I just don't get it, 13,000 undergrad students, 2,200 or so of which are freshman on campus, how we can't get at least 500 students to every game perplexes me. It's free, it's an activity to do with friends and it can be as fun as you make it. I had a blast going to games while I was in college for the same reasons as above.How every freshman doesn't look forward to the college athletics experience is beyond me.

bisonfan08
12-18-2019, 06:33 PM
How every freshman doesn't look forward to the college athletics experience is beyond me.

Like I get that sports aren't EVERYBODY's thing but a lot of these kids come from small schools where sports are always the big social event, how that doesn't transition to college is just weird. But to be fair I completely lost touch with this generation of students when they started eating Tide pods so obviously we don't know what's cool anymore

GreenfieldBison
12-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Like I get that sports aren't EVERYBODY's thing but a lot of these kids come from small schools where sports are always the big social event, how that doesn't transition to college is just weird. But to be fair I completely lost touch with this generation of students when they started eating Tide pods so obviously we don't know what's cool anymore

Eating Tide pods is a thing? I’m no MD but I don’t think that’s how you’re supposed to do a “cleanse”.

Mr Meaty
12-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Listening to Sirus 80's on 8 Monday night on the way home from the BB game, on came Alabama "If you're Gonna Play in Texas". Kind of fitting song to start the week after a win vs Montana St.

NDSUstudent
12-19-2019, 01:34 AM
Going off campus killed the student support, going to basketball games was a thing back when I was a student and we made the BSA a tough place to play. Sad to see the state of things, not sure how to fix it. It was a mistake to give the students garbage seats in my opinion but that is what it is. Now there aren't enough students at the game to warrant giving them back anyway.

56BISON73
12-19-2019, 01:58 AM
Eating Tide pods is a thing? I’m no MD but I don’t think that’s how you’re supposed to do a “cleanse”.

Pretty sure it will get the job done though.:D

56BISON73
12-19-2019, 02:00 AM
Going off campus killed the student support, going to basketball games was a thing back when I was a student and we made the BSA a tough place to play. Sad to see the state of things, not sure how to fix it. It was a mistake to give the students garbage seats in my opinion but that is what it is. Now there aren't enough students at the game to warrant giving them back anyway.

But they served alcohol????? Guess that shoots that down as an attractant to come to the games.

bisonfan08
12-19-2019, 02:00 PM

I'm not sure the seats should really matter, you look at a lot of college facilities and the student seats are on the ends. Not to mention they are free, premium seats should go to those paying for them. I get it's been about 12 years now but we used to pack the student section of the BSA and stand the whole game other than for the timeouts. It was so much fun, now what few students do show up seem to just sit on their phones most of the game and don't even pay attention. I'm not sure what the solution is either but the engagement just isn't there

Professor Chaos
12-19-2019, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure the seats should really matter, you look at a lot of college facilities and the student seats are on the ends. Not to mention they are free, premium seats should go to those paying for them. I get it's been about 12 years now but we used to pack the student section of the BSA and stand the whole game other than for the timeouts. It was so much fun, now what few students do show up seem to just sit on their phones most of the game and don't even pay attention. I'm not sure what the solution is either but the engagement just isn't there
The only thing close to a solution is to win. Say what you will about the students at football games leaving at halftime but at least they're engaged while they're there. That's the best we can hope for these days.

A potential but difficult solution is to get a recognizable P5 team into the SHAC (like K-State in '06 - or whenever that was) and promote the hell out of it with the students. Show them what a full and engaged student section can be like. I realize getting that game scheduled is easier said than done but if the AD wants to build the student support they may have to sink some money into it and schedule a P5 for a 2 for 1 and make some additional concessions in order to make it happen.