PDA

View Full Version : STATS FCS awards finalists

HerdistheWord
11-25-2019, 09:13 PM
Here are the finalists for the awards. NDSU has a chance at all four (technically speaking).

https://sports.yahoo.com/stats-announces-fcs-legacy-awards-finalists-190415204--ncaaf.html

NDSU Nominees

Payton- Trey Lance

Buchanan- Derek Tuszka

Rice- Trey Lance

Robinson- Matt Entz

The biggest snub that I noticed was that Ben DiNucci is not on the list for the Payton. I thought he had a chance to be a finalist. I could easily see Eric Barriere winning the Payton as team record is never a factor in these things and stats are king. In all fairness, Barriere has been an absolute stat monster and is a pretty good player.

Hammersmith
11-25-2019, 09:19 PM
Too bad about Cox. He was on the Buchanan watch list until his injury.

Bison03
11-25-2019, 09:20 PM
I hope these guys are hoisting a trophy in Frisco early January. Histoy shows they will not hoist the other awards.

23Bison
11-25-2019, 09:24 PM
What I’m curious about when talking about Berriere is does he have to play the entire game and coming from behind just to get the W while Trey on the other hand plays 3 quarters and towards the end of the game he pretty much hands the ball off 10 times in a row just to keep the clock going? I mean if you give Trey another 5 passes a game that’s another 60 passing attempts on the season and would have to think that he’d have a hell of a lot more yards. Obviously the SDSU game wasn’t his greatest throwing game but you know what I mean.

BisonHorns
11-25-2019, 09:26 PM
These men deserve accolades for their efforts, but in the end only one matters and that one is listed on the championship banner.

Vet70
11-25-2019, 09:42 PM
These men deserve accolades for their efforts, but in the end only one matters and that one is listed on the championship banner.

This. The individual awards are nice recognition but I am more interested in the hosting of that 8th trophy.

HerdistheWord
11-25-2019, 09:48 PM
What I’m curious about when talking about Berriere is does he have to play the entire game and coming from behind just to get the W while Trey on the other hand plays 3 quarters and towards the end of the game he pretty much hands the ball off 10 times in a row just to keep the clock going? I mean if you give Trey another 5 passes a game that’s another 60 passing attempts on the season and would have to think that he’d have a hell of a lot more yards. Obviously the SDSU game wasn’t his greatest throwing game but you know what I mean.

The sad truth is that I don’t think they consider that. This award therefore tends to go to QB’s from mediocore teams.

GreenfieldBison
11-25-2019, 10:55 PM
It would be interesting to ask #53 what means more to him today: Buchanan award or Champs Trophy? Must pick one or the other. (I have a completely uninformed guess)

1st&TennBison
11-25-2019, 11:30 PM
The sad truth is that I don’t think they consider that. This award therefore tends to go to QB’s from mediocore teams.

Mediocre teams teams that are quite often trying to make a second half comeback and are more often than not forced to sling the ball all over the place in a panic. Not a well oiled machine like the Bison who built the team on run first, control the clock, and good defense. These "TYPICAL" winners of such awards tend to be a one man show on their teams (or side of the ball at the very least). Not like NDSU which has a total package for the most part in every phase of the game. It is my guess that voters for such awards are usually looking to spread the wealth, and are more concerned with making everyone feel good about themselves by ensuring that every kid gets a participation trophy. There is a reason why NDSU does not put names on the backs of the jerseys, the name on the front is what matters the most.

EC8CH
11-26-2019, 01:02 AM
As crazy as it seems. I'll be more pissed if Trey doesn't win the Payton this year than I was last year when Stick didn't win it. Do the regular season stats back that up?

I mean I know it's not going to happen, but I'm still going to be pissed. The voting for these individual awards is just a joke every year with no thought put into it other than sorting by high numbers.

Vet70
11-26-2019, 01:06 AM
As crazy as it seems. I'll be more pissed if Trey doesn't win the Payton this year than I was last year when Stick didn't win it. Do the regular season stats back that up?

I mean I know it's not going to happen, but I'm still going to be pissed. The voting for these individual awards is just a joke every year with no thought put into it other than sorting by high numbers.

I am just happy he is a Bison.

EC8CH
11-26-2019, 01:07 AM
I am just happy he is a Bison.

It's like the NDSU engineering department developed a Bison quarterback prototype machine.

heffray
11-26-2019, 01:12 AM
Somehow, I feel like the whole 0 Int thing will factor in huge here. It’s an unreal stat.

TAILG8R
11-26-2019, 01:13 AM
Like others stated earlier in the thread. The Payton goes to the guy with the most absurd yardage or some other singular crazy stat. Looking at a body of work and rewarding a player for actually being the best all-around/overall player at that position doesn't happen. I have my theory as to why and it has to do with the limited marketing and exposure of FCS and it being much easier to say "the best player in the league threw for 4,000 yards!!!". That way any talking head can easily say it with excitement and not have to know or go into the details of why xyz player is the best of the FCS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Vet70
11-26-2019, 01:16 AM
Somehow, I feel like the whole 0 Int thing will factor in huge here. It’s an unreal stat.

Why did he never throw the damn ball?

GreenfieldBison
11-26-2019, 01:17 AM
Who plays twelve games at QB at the D1 level with an offense that is fairly balanced and fails to throw an interception?

Who is ask you?

He made it look offensively “easy” too.

Damn.

BisonNeil
11-26-2019, 01:17 AM
I think the Payton award is a stretch simply because he is a freshman and voters will think he has plenty of time. But if he isn’t a lock for the Jerry Rice award then there really is a conspiracy.

GreenfieldBison
11-26-2019, 01:19 AM
I think the Payton award is a stretch simply because he is a freshman and voters will think he has plenty of time. But if he isn’t a lock for the Jerry Rice award then there really is a conspiracy.

He’s a lock for a Natty. Book it.

heffray
11-26-2019, 01:19 AM
Why did he never throw the damn ball?

He certainly threw it less but it’s because he didn’t have to. Iunno. Could be wrong but I think he gets it. He had plenty of throws.

Vet70
11-26-2019, 01:23 AM
He certainly threw it less but it’s because he didn’t have to. Iunno. Could be wrong but I think he gets it. He had plenty of throws.

Work with me here, sarcasm and what the committee might think.

heffray
11-26-2019, 01:24 AM
Work with me here, sarcasm and what the committee might think.

Lol. I should know better than to assume there needs to be purple. Well-played.

X-Factor
11-26-2019, 03:15 AM

They do. Trey had a better season, as unbelievable as that would have seemed this time last year. I’m still not sure how it was possible after what we lost, but I’m a believer now. The kid is a freak of nature

EC8CH
11-26-2019, 03:27 AM
They do. Trey had a better season, as unbelievable as that would have seemed this time last year. I’m still not sure how it was possible after what we lost, but I’m a believer now. The kid is a freak of nature

I know the talking points that players don't care about these individual awards and only care about the Natty, and that's fine for them. As a fan though I'm sick of seeing Bison players not receiving the individual recognition they deserve.

heffray
11-26-2019, 04:19 AM
I know the talking points that players don't care about these individual awards and only care about the Natty, and that's fine for them. As a fan though I'm sick of seeing Bison players not receiving the individual recognition they deserve.

Let’s keep in mind that one of our players was drafted #2 overall in the NFL draft. That’s more individual recognition than any FCS player can reasonably hope to achieve.

1st&TennBison
11-26-2019, 05:33 AM
Let’s keep in mind that one of our players was drafted #2 overall in the NFL draft. That’s more individual recognition than any FCS player can reasonably hope to achieve.

BUT BUT BUT Jeremiah Briscoe

noryan34
11-26-2019, 05:44 AM
I’d say the Payton is either Barriere if they don’t care about record. Smith wins if they do.

cbline
11-26-2019, 11:23 AM
To quote the legendary Bo Schembechler: "The team. The team. The team."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrvwWfIeHu0

Twincitybizon
11-26-2019, 12:27 PM
If only we'd have turned Trey into a WR.......... Oh what could have been.......

Bisonator98
11-26-2019, 12:44 PM
My predictions:

Payton - Daniel Smith, Villanova

Buchanan - Ron'Dell Carter, James Madison

Rice - Trey Lance, NDSU

Robinson - Troy Taylor, Sac St

heffray
11-26-2019, 01:15 PM
BUT BUT BUT Jeremiah Briscoe

Lol... I remember that guy. Did he do anything after Sam Who or did he get stuck vending "Back to Back Runner-up!" T-shirts at Bearcat homegames?

GreenfieldBison
11-26-2019, 01:24 PM
Lol... I remember that guy. Did he do anything after Sam Who or did he get stuck vending "Back to Back Runner-up!" T-shirts at Bearcat homegames?

Well besides the main gig selling T-shirts he has this side gig according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Briscoe

heffray
11-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Well besides the main gig selling T-shirts he has this side gig according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Briscoe

He looks, i dare say, "good" in green and gold...

bison22
11-26-2019, 02:00 PM
I wanted to see where Lance matches up against others in the nation. Why are Trey Lance's passing stats not on this site?

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/751

He is listed there for rushing stats. Are his numbers so good that the site thinks it's an error and removed?

primespareribs
11-26-2019, 02:28 PM
I wanted to see where Lance matches up against others in the nation. Why are Trey Lance's passing stats not on this site?

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/751

He is listed there for rushing stats. Are his numbers so good that the site thinks it's an error and removed?

His passing yards are on page two of the list. He has that few yards in comparison...

EC8CH
11-26-2019, 02:47 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/3hlzb8.jpg