PDA

View Full Version : "Homemade" T Shirts

MankatoBison
10-29-2019, 08:08 PM
This logo is floating around the internet...

For real, is it bad if I just throw it on a T shirt and buy one?
I see people with custom merch with the real snorty everywhere- usually its cups and flags though. how does this work?

Bison 4 Life
10-29-2019, 08:10 PM
This logo is floating around the internet...

For real, is it bad if I just throw it on a T shirt and buy one?
I see people with custom merch with the real snorty everywhere- usually its cups and flags though. how does this work?

Yes, it's bad.

I bought a snorty shirt at the bookstore last year. OneHerd has them too last time I checked.

MankatoBison
10-29-2019, 08:26 PM
Yes, it's bad.

I bought a snorty shirt at the bookstore last year. OneHerd has them too last time I checked.

Thats about the answer I was expecting- but how are others doing custom cups and flags etc with the old snorty? they arent buying those from scheels lol

Bison 4 Life
10-29-2019, 08:27 PM
Thats about the answer I was expecting- but how are others doing custom cups and flags etc with the old snorty? they arent buying those from scheels lol

If I'm understanding it correctly, you can buy a license from NDSU for $100 or so. You would then be able to produce merchandise. That cost might scale up with volume, I'm not sure.

MankatoBison
10-29-2019, 08:39 PM
PERFECT- thanks for that, much appreciated

ThunderDan
10-29-2019, 09:39 PM
You can buy a license to use the logo if your selling them for profit. If it's just for you as an individual, go ahead and make one. That isn't illegal.

Milkman
10-29-2019, 10:39 PM
Full disclosure a couple years ago on a sports logo forum that I followed a graphic designer was updating vintage logos for fun and asking for suggestions. I asked if he'd clean up the old Snorty logo and that image on the tshirt is what he produced. Again it was just for fun and just a design exercise for himself. But yeah thats the origin of that image.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tjamz
10-29-2019, 11:57 PM
If I'm understanding it correctly, you can buy a license from NDSU for $100 or so. You would then be able to produce merchandise. That cost might scale up with volume, I'm not sure.

Yes, there is an initial application fee. Then you have to have each new item approved by the university before you can sell it. After that you are subject to a 12 to 15% royalty on the selling price of each item sold. There are some logos that cannot be reproduced/used: https://www.ndsu.edu/vpur/resources/logousage/

Bison 4 Life
10-30-2019, 12:00 AM
Yes, there is an initial application fee. Then you have to have each new item approved by the university before you can sell it. After that you are subject to a 12 to 15% royalty on the selling price of each item sold. There are some logos that cannot be reproduced/used: https://www.ndsu.edu/vpur/resources/logousage/

Yeah, I knew I didn't have the whole story.

tjamz
10-30-2019, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I knew I didn't have the whole story.

Been through this a couple times now with them.

Fortunately for personal use you don't need permission unless you plan on selling the item. Otherwise my basement bar plans would be REALLY expensive

HerdBot
10-30-2019, 01:24 AM

You mean I cant just make a Bison vibrator or assless chaps? Prudes (I know all chaps are assless)

scottietohottie
10-30-2019, 01:52 AM
You mean I cant just make a Bison vibrator or assless chaps? Prudes (I know all chaps are assless)

Hopefully falls under personal use. And if your sharing be sure to sanitize. It's what you wear under the chaps that counts.

56BISON73
10-30-2019, 01:59 AM
Full disclosure a couple years ago on a sports logo forum that I followed a graphic designer was updating vintage logos for fun and asking for suggestions. I asked if he'd clean up the old Snorty logo and that image on the tshirt is what he produced. Again it was just for fun and just a design exercise for himself. But yeah thats the origin of that image.

I was just about to say that that image is pretty close to the original that is in the old Dakota field locker room.

BisonHorns
10-30-2019, 02:45 AM

That guy did great work on a lot of logos. Do you know if his site still exists?

bisonp
10-30-2019, 12:39 PM
Been through this a couple times now with them.

Fortunately for personal use you don't need permission unless you plan on selling the item. Otherwise my basement bar plans would be REALLY expensive

Yeah, but wouldn't the t-shirt maker need permission?

MrSnuffleupagus
10-30-2019, 01:15 PM
Yeah, but wouldn't the t-shirt maker need permission?

To sell it, yes. To make it, no.

tony
10-30-2019, 01:16 PM
I still buy Snorty stuff.

https://www.oneherd.com/shop-by/ndsu-golden-scrum-snorty-tee/

Somewhere in my office, I have a Snorty flag that I bought a couple years ago. Heck, the trucker's cap I have on right now has the Snorty logo.

scottietohottie
10-30-2019, 01:19 PM
My kids say that's old snorty. He's dads favorite. Drinking coffee out of an old snorty cup right now.

MankatoBison
10-30-2019, 01:40 PM

I Found that! I've been trying to get ahold of him to see If He would allow me to use the image for a shirt- not for sale, just for my own enjoyment lol

Bison 4 Life
10-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Not putting Snorty on the Harvest Helmet was a missed opportunity.

oldmantutters
10-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Somewhere in my office, I have a Snorty flag that I bought a couple years ago. Heck, the trucker's cap I have on right now has the Snorty logo.$38 for a t-shirt?!? Too rich for my blood. I picked up the UA t-shirt with snorty on it as Christmas gift to myself a couple years ago for less than that.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

MankatoBison
10-30-2019, 01:46 PM

Somewhere in my office, I have a Snorty flag that I bought a couple years ago. Heck, the trucker's cap I have on right now has the Snorty logo.

Old Snorty, IMHO, is the superior Snorty, and is on every piece of new merchandise I buy. I literally dont look at non snorty merch unless its a jersey lol

MankatoBison
10-30-2019, 01:47 PM
Not putting Snorty on the Harvest Helmet was a missed opportunity.

CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap this is correct

bisonp
10-30-2019, 01:55 PM
To sell it, yes. To make it, no.

Right, I'm assuming he's not screenprinting it himself.

tjamz
10-30-2019, 02:09 PM
Yeah, but wouldn't the t-shirt maker need permission?Yes, they may have received special permission.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MankatoBison
10-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Right, I'm assuming he's not screenprinting it himself.

I would NOT be screenprinting it myself in my basement- I would have to go through a service or website on the internet.

does this change anything? keep in mind, this isnt the official logo- its a revamped design by a random guy Milkman14 knows

i think I'm more confused than before. I'm not selling it but i would be paying for someone to make it for me

GreenfieldBison
10-30-2019, 03:16 PM
I would NOT be screenprinting it myself in my basement- I would have to go through a service or website on the internet.

does this change anything? keep in mind, this isnt the official logo- its a revamped design by a random guy Milkman14 knows

i think I'm more confused than before. I'm not selling it but i would be paying for someone to make it for me

I would say that whoever you hire to do the screen printing is going to be reticent to reproduce a copyrighted image.

For example I ordered a custom cake for tailgate last weekend with a jacks logo on one side opposed with a Bison logo on the other and the college GAMEDAY logo in the middle. The baker was ok with the two college logos since they use them for graduations but would not reproduce either the ESPN or Home Depot portions of the GAMEDAY logo. Still worked out fine for our purpose. And obviously the evidence of the copyrighted image usage was going to short lived and limited.

scottietohottie
10-30-2019, 03:28 PM
Just put a big old nut sack on snorty. Problem solved.

Don't put a fighting hawk sucking it though they don't need any recognition.

StL Bison Fan
10-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Snorty is part of the Heritage Collection and very few people are able to use it. It carries a larger cost to use. Signarama can use it and this is where I learned this. Also refer back to the link that was posted above.
The person who approves this stuff is Troy.
They control their images and I don’t blame them. As we all know the Bison brand is money.

If you want a snorty shirt, get one from the bookstore. On the back of tickets is 25% off. And they have sales on Friday during football.
If you need a used ticket let me know, Ill give you one.

bisonp
10-30-2019, 03:39 PM

Typically they would need to be licensed to make it and sell it to you, but if they unknowingly reproduced what you provided them, I don't know where that falls.

MrSnuffleupagus
10-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Typically they would need to be licensed to make it and sell it to you, but if they unknowingly reproduced what you provided them, I don't know where that falls.

My GF runs a promotional product company. 99.9% of the time if you are having someone with either a heat press or screen printer make you a shirt; you are going to be paying them. Any reputable production business will not do it in this case unless they bought the license to do so. However, if for whatever reason, they arent charging you for anything and you're essentially making it for personal use. There isn't anything NDSU can do about it.

Its quite simple. If money is involved and you don't have a license/permission; its a hard no. If you were to go to Target and buy some heat transfer paper/vinyl, print off old snorty logo of your choice and iron/heat press it onto a shirt of your choice....no one is stopping you.

MrSnuffleupagus
10-30-2019, 04:33 PM
Another thing to note about those thinking $30 for the One Herd shirt is crazy you need to look at the shirt that they are printing it on. Everyone knows the Heritage logos are more expensive than the currently used logo (look at the 'vintage' jerseys they sell at Vikings games at US Bank Stadium for an example) but aside from that, they are most likely using Bella Canvas shirts which are per-shrunk premium shirts. FAR better than the cheap sandpaper feeling shirts that are $10-20 at Scheels that they pump out for any of those one-off games (College GameDay Shirts/Target Field Game/etc)

bisonp
10-30-2019, 05:12 PM
My GF runs a promotional product company. 99.9% of the time if you are having someone with either a heat press or screen printer make you a shirt; you are going to be paying them. Any reputable production business will not do it in this case unless they bought the license to do so. However, if for whatever reason, they arent charging you for anything and you're essentially making it for personal use. There isn't anything NDSU can do about it.

Its quite simple. If money is involved and you don't have a license/permission; its a hard no. If you were to go to Target and buy some heat transfer paper/vinyl, print off old snorty logo of your choice and iron/heat press it onto a shirt of your choice....no one is stopping you.

The thing that I'm wondering is if they have it in their fine print somewhere that since he is providing the design, that he would be liable for infringement. I would think it would be difficult for a company that does that kind of one-off stuff to deal with the legalities themselves. But I don't know if it would even be legal for them to claim that.

1998braves64
10-30-2019, 06:03 PM

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Whether you get the company that's doing the screenprinting to take the dive (illegally) to do it on a oneoff or not will depend on their ethics. NDSU may never know and probably and would be wasting money trying to track down all those one offs, so you could do it and nothing would ever become of it. Again you're only hurting NDSU and their brand by going that route. If you own a screen printer and do one for yourself or your kids etc you're golden.

That all said Scheel's may be able to do it if someone is looking for a legal option?? They have screen printing/embroidery options.

Changed logos like is being questioned is an interesting one, because now you fall into the Breck/Wyoming debate that was what 10-15 years ago. How much change is made until it no longer is a trademark "image/logo". You keep the NDSU brand on the logo's rear quarter I don't think you'd have a chance in saying it's not their logo... take it off might have a slight chance???

ThunderDan
10-30-2019, 09:39 PM
The thing that I'm wondering is if they have it in their fine print somewhere that since he is providing the design, that he would be liable for infringement. I would think it would be difficult for a company that does that kind of one-off stuff to deal with the legalities themselves. But I don't know if it would even be legal for them to claim that.

I get my own shirts printed online all the time. I've used Vikings logos, movies, etc...the print shop will have legal wording that says they are not responsible for trademark infringement. But, anyway, let's be real here people, do you think NDSU cares if a random guy prints himself a t shirt for his own personal use? And even if they did, how in the hell would they know where you got it? Tell them you bought it at a thrift store.

Long story short, print the shirt

tjamz
10-31-2019, 12:19 AM
I'm in the camp of "If it's a one off thing or something for only your group and you're not trying to profit from it, go ahead and do it" but "If it's production retail/resale go through the proper channels."

My basement bar area will feature a lot of one off engravings that are distinctly NDSU but I will not be selling them/recreating them on my CNC mill for others unless I clear it with NDSU first.