PDA

View Full Version : SDSU Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Kevin
10-26-2019, 10:08 PM
1) The play calling all game was nuts. We have a stable of 82 capable running backs why is our QB running 20 times? And if he's going to run why is he running off tackle when we're gashing them up the middle when we try to? Why go for 2?
2) With that being said the call of the day was to go for it on 4th and inches. That's balls. That's something that lacked under the last few coaches. I like it.
3) Now back to business as usual: Trey Lance is good at football. I wish we would have trusted him in the intermediate passing game more.
4) I figured as important of a game as this was it wouldn't matter near as much as when we play them again. After watching Gibbs go down I wonder if that'll even happen now?
5) I missed a bit of the third quarter. Why was SDSU's third string QB in there?
6) WTF was that half back pass call? The only thing worse than the call was the execution. That would have been a hell of a way for the streak to end.
7) Tuszka deserves player of the game. That was clutch by the SD boy when we needed it most. He was robbed on the strip too.
8) The streak continues.

TAILG8R
10-26-2019, 10:11 PM
On point 3 I felt like Trey's passing struggles were because he was allowed to have a mid range passing game to get into rythm. Terri le play calling.

Also did we win by enough for Bmac to put us at #1 this week?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MNLonghorn10
10-26-2019, 10:12 PM
Got the win.. all that matters. I hate seeing Gibbs go down for playoffs

Bison"FANatic"
10-26-2019, 10:13 PM
We have coaches that have room to improve.

I feel lucky with the win today much improvement is needed for a playoff run by the program

HerdistheWord
On point 3 I felt like Trey's passing struggles were because he was allowed to have a mid range passing game to get into rythm. Terri le play calling.

Also did we win by enough for Bmac to put us at #1 this week?

He did have one nice strike down the middle where he took a big hit.

MinotBison
Post game interview, Entz said the O line all wanted to go for it on that 4th down.

tony
10-26-2019, 10:14 PM
Gotta play cleaner football... there were some awful penalties, but I might be to blame for the penalty on 1st and goal on the 4 because I said something about how it seems like every time we get inside the 10, the first play is a penalty. After that, I was all positive.

But going for it on 4th and 1 might be my favorite call ever... our defense was playing on their heels.

Also, I'm pretty sure NDSU just reached in SDSU's chest cavity and ripped out their still beating heart.

89MTBISON
I'm thinking of starting a thread titled "Demote Roehl save season".

aces1180
Great teams win tough games. Woooo!

scottietohottie
10-26-2019, 10:15 PM

It's just a process little baby bison oc's go through. He'll figure it out.

NDSUSR
10-26-2019, 10:15 PM
100 yards in penalties. Damn.

Hammersmith
10-26-2019, 10:16 PM
Got the win.. all that matters. I hate seeing Gibbs go down for playoffs

Comment on SDSUFans thought it wasn't that serious. Game, yes. Season, no.

TAILG8R
10-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Comment on SDSUFans thought it wasn't that serious. Game, yes. Season, no.Looked pretty serious with that brace and ice wrap but I guess you never know. KVLY was told MCL but that's also probably Lee talking out of his ass.

wagsabison
10-26-2019, 10:17 PM

It’s tradition.

Game was fun... mostly because we won. Seemed like we did nothing that made us successful all season. Defense was bend but don’t break. Room for improvement. Props to SDSU. Good team and the stadium was packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89MTBISON
10-26-2019, 10:18 PM
They almost beat us with their 3rd string QB. What happened to the 40+ per game offense? Too much Trey running plays. Hand the ball to Cofield damnit!

Kevin
10-26-2019, 10:18 PM
I liked that we kept the tight ends involved. Good things happen when we throw to those kids. I wish we'd do it even more than we already do.

Also that pass by Watson was pretty slick. I wouldn't mind seeing that again in the playoffs.

Kevin
10-26-2019, 10:19 PM
They almost beat us with their 3rd string QB. What happened to the 40+ per game offense? Too much Trey running plays. Hand the ball to Cofield damnit!

I felt like Brooks had the hot hand all game and wasn't getting enough touches.

But that's the problem with this backfield by committee approach. We have a lot of fresh legs but no one gets hot.

Jay
10-26-2019, 10:19 PM
My thoughts...

Our staff is made up of a bunch of meatheads. Football guys.
That’s okay to have some. But you need a common sense, brain, logic smart guy.

Three plays are most egregious offenses....
1) Reverse pass inside the 10
2) Going for 2... simply zero logic for this.
3) Halfback pass

Also, please start taking a knee on endzone kickoffs. Starting from the 25 is okay.

Hammersmith
10-26-2019, 10:20 PM
Looked pretty serious with that brace and ice wrap but I guess you never know. KVLY was told MCL but that's also probably Lee talking out of his ass.

Could be. The SDSUFans comment was repeated from Zimmer, but it might have been early info before the exam was finished.

MNLonghorn10
10-26-2019, 10:20 PM
Comment on SDSUFans thought it wasn't that serious. Game, yes. Season, no.Hope they're right

Kevin
10-26-2019, 10:23 PM
My thoughts...

3) Halfback pass

Also, please start taking a knee on endzone kickoffs. Starting from the 25 is okay.

I agree with all of this. It almost felt like we had no faith to do what we do in many of those situations.

Very odd game in that sense.

wagsabison
10-26-2019, 10:24 PM
I still say going for the 2 point conversion was okay but I would assume that it wasn’t the numbers they needed to make it work and would kick the field goal instead.

It’s about possessions not points. Go up 12 it’s a 3 possession game assuming you hold them to the same td and field goal as if you were up 10-11.

Wally
10-26-2019, 10:24 PM
Post game interview, Entz said the O line all wanted to go for it on that 4th down.

Did he say if they all wanted to go for 2?

Herd890
10-26-2019, 10:25 PM
My thoughts...

3) Halfback pass

I agree 100%.

89MTBISON
10-26-2019, 10:27 PM
My thoughts...

3) Halfback pass

This is spot on. If these guys don't learn from mistakes, well, bad news for the Bison.

CalBison97
10-26-2019, 10:28 PM
GameDay crew stick around to watch the game?

Strategery
10-26-2019, 10:33 PM
Everyone pissing on the two point conversion just listen a sec...

If you get it, they HAVE to get two TDs to beat you.
If you miss (which they did) they can now tie with a FG and TD+1. Got it. Yes, easier for them to tie. But still just tied.
If you go for one, you’re up by 11, and sure they have to get FG and TD+2 instead of +1 to tie, but you still just need a FG to help tie.

My point is being up 11 is “closer” to being up 10. You can disagree with the call (and I actually do), but saying it was idiotic and there was nothing to gain from it is WAY over the top.

Kevin
10-26-2019, 10:34 PM
In hindsight I think SDSU has a very, very good chance to win this if Gibbs stays in.

I also think even with Gibbs there's no way they win in the Fargo Dome.

Makes the outcome all the more important.

tony
10-26-2019, 10:36 PM
Don't get the gripes about playcalling - execution is the problem. NDSU's offense emptied an entire clip into its foot.

Jay
10-26-2019, 10:36 PM
Everyone pissing on the two point conversion just listen

Up 11 or up 12 at that point in the game... that’s the question. You need a data/brain guy to tell you what is the best stat to do.

wagsabison
10-26-2019, 10:37 PM
Everyone pissing on the two point conversion just listen a sec...

If you get it, they HAVE to get two TDs to beat you.
If you miss (which they did) they can now tie with a FG and TD+1. Got it. Yes, easier for them to tie. But still just tied.
If you go for one, you’re up by 11, and sure they have to get FG and TD+2 instead of +1 to tie, but you still just need a FG to help tie.

My point is being up 11 is “closer” to being up 10. You can disagree with the call (and I actually do), but saying it was idiotic and there was nothing to gain from it is WAY over the top.

I agree and as we’ll find out we’re in the minority on that decision.

I’m questioning why our qb ran the ball 20 times more than anything

Kevin
10-26-2019, 10:38 PM
Don't get the gripes about playcalling - execution is the problem. NDSU's offense emptied an entire clip into its foot.

What's more likely on third down and 2? This team to execute a power run between the tackles or some sort of half back pass after a stretch hand off?

You have to play to your strengths. The trickery has it's place but none of the spots felt like the right time.

WeAreThePride
10-26-2019, 10:40 PM
That was a game for the ages. I loved it.

Hammersmith
10-26-2019, 10:42 PM

Nah. They almost always need to jump on a plane right away to do things later in the day.

NDSU92
10-26-2019, 10:44 PM
Up 11 or up 12 at that point in the game... that’s the question. You need a data/brain guy to tell you what is the best stat to do.

If you’re talking analytics, they tell you to go for 2 more often than not

tony
10-26-2019, 10:45 PM
What's more likely on third down and 2? This team to execute a power run between the tackles or some sort of half back pass after a stretch hand off?

You have to play to your strengths. The trickery has it's place but none of the spots felt like the right time.

Well, that's execution. You don't just toss it up straight in the air... and it was open for a huge gain but the SDSU guy just made a great play.

I'd have preferred to run up the gut like you, but I don't like OC's who are too predictable.

Bison 4 Life
10-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Also, it wasn't scrapping against Pud State. They are #3, our hated rival, at home. They pulled out all the stops to win.

Gothmog
10-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Well, that's execution. You don't just toss it up straight in the air... and it was open for a huge gain but the SDSU guy just made a great play.

I'd have preferred to run up the gut like you, but I don't like OC's who are too predictable.

Sometimes the other team just makes great plays. That doesn't necessarily mean that the play call was bad.

HerdBot
10-26-2019, 10:53 PM
Best game ever. But can we stop with the damn 2 point conversions? So stupid

SoCalBison
10-26-2019, 10:55 PM
I think a careful review of the video, looking specifically at the sequence of Bison offensive plays, will demonstrate some baffling and head scratching calls, given the context of the game at those points. Yes, execution was not good, but it's never going to be great if your QB is keeping it more than 50 percent of the time, as Trey did on more than one drive/possession.

BisonNeil
10-26-2019, 10:55 PM
My thoughts...

3) Halfback pass

This post nominated for the HOF!

I hate it when coaches chase points before you have to as it frequently comes back to bite you in the ass. It doesn’t take much intelligence to figure that one point from kicking the XP means they can’t tie you without going for two. Entz is a meat head on this two point conversion shit, you do it every game your fooling no one.

23Bison
10-26-2019, 10:57 PM
So help me GOD if I hear one person say anything about the refs handing the game to us I will end up in prison!!

tony
10-26-2019, 10:57 PM
I think a careful review of the video, looking specifically at the sequence of Bison offensive plays, will demonstrate some baffling and head scratching calls, given the context of the game at those points. Yes, execution was not good, but it's never going to be great if your QB is keeping it more than 50 percent of the time, as Trey did on more than one drive/possession.

Setting up the QB run stop and dump against Youngstown State. :)

Also Midco - good camera work (of course, being outside in the sun helps rather than the gloomy Fargodome) but did they have a random number generator coming up with downs and distances?

Bison bison
10-26-2019, 11:00 PM
This post nominated for the HOF!

I hate it when coaches chase points before you have to as it frequently comes back to bite you in the ass. It doesn’t take much intelligence to figure that one point from kicking the XP means they can’t tie you without going for two. Entz is a meat head on this two point conversion shit, you do it every game your fooling no one.

It takes zero intelligence. Some smart guy already did the math. Print off the sheet. Bring it to the game. Do what it says.

BisManBison
10-26-2019, 11:01 PM
So help me go if I hear one person say anything about the refs handing the game to us I will end up in prison!!

You serious Clark, people are saying that? Wow, thought most suspect calls or no calls went the way of SDSU.

Anyway, SDSU, losing big games since forever!! They are the French of FCS football. Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in this one :rofl:

BisonNeil
10-26-2019, 11:02 PM
Also Midco - good camera work (of course, being outside in the sun helps rather than the gloomy Fargodome) but did they have a random number generator coming up with downs and distances?

Amazingly bad. The shit that is called KVLY never ceases to amaze me at the depths of their shitdom.

HerdistheWord
10-26-2019, 11:04 PM
So help me GOD if I hear one person say anything about the refs handing the game to us I will end up in prison!!

I haven’t seen anything like that on AGS or reddit. You going on the bunny board or something?

23Bison
10-26-2019, 11:04 PM
You serious Clark, people are saying that? Wow, thought most suspect calls or no calls went the way of SDSU.

Anyway, SDSU, losing big games since forever!! They are the French of FCS football. Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in this one :rofl:

Sorry to clarify. No I haven’t heard anyone say that yet but if I do then there will be a sacrifice!

89MTBISON
10-26-2019, 11:07 PM

Actually thought it was the exact opposite. This crew is terrible, that umpire has been involved in many Bison games where he can't get out the way fast enough. They almost threw the game to the Jacks.

bisonp
10-26-2019, 11:08 PM
I was pissed, wondering what the hell they were doing trying to draw them off and then leaving themselves with only one TO left. That turned out OK, but Entz would have looked like an absolute idiot if they didn't convert.

This aggressiveness is fun because it's worked out, but it's going to backfire big time at some point.

This was a lot like the Vikings' win. Lot of mistakes on the field and on the sideline but they were able to overcome it.

123Gobison
10-26-2019, 11:09 PM
Bison football never flourished when ex-RB coaches were promoted to Offensive Cord position. We should hire some real Offensive Coordinators with some experience , just look what Chris Klieman was able to achive today with Messingham as his OC.

Vet70
10-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Conditioned respose...Bison score look for penalty flag.

wagsabison
10-26-2019, 11:20 PM
Bison football never flourished when ex-RB coaches were promoted to Offensive Cord position. We should hire some real Offensive Coordinators with some experience , just look what Chris Klieman was able to achive today with Messingham as his OC.

Tyler will be fine. I think we all knew there’d be some growing pains. It’s only his 7th game and against a good team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gabisonfan
10-26-2019, 11:25 PM
Great game. I do always wonder why a team doesn't throw to 6'6" tight ends over the middle. Seems like a few times a game the linebackers would change their behavior.

CAS4127
10-26-2019, 11:30 PM
The Dakota Marker weighs 71lbs.

Colfield’s winning TD run was 71 yards. Kinda cool.

Not cool were the two trick plays called in critical situations.

89MTBISON
10-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Conditioned respose...Bison score look for penalty flag.

Good to see you back.

scottietohottie
10-26-2019, 11:35 PM
The head coach is just as green as the offensive coordinator. It's growing pains. Im ok as long as they learn and adjust. I don't know that the read option is clicking for our QB. Not reading it right yet. Or just trying to do to much. Not sure what im saying but don't think it's just the oc or anything that can't be fixed.

Go Bison!

4th and inches.

tony
10-26-2019, 11:38 PM
If you haven't heard it, you have to listen to the radio call on the 4th and inches.

bisonaudit
10-26-2019, 11:39 PM
It takes zero intelligence. Some smart guy already did the math. Print off the sheet. Bring it to the game. Do what it says.

The sheet says, ‘pick’em’. So if they saw something they liked on the swinging gate I’m OK with the decision.

GRAFTONBISON
10-26-2019, 11:39 PM
So looking way ahead if Weber or Sac St win out......

1 NDSU
2 JMU
3 Weber/Sac
4 SDSU

Super!

Wally
10-26-2019, 11:41 PM
The sheet says, ‘pick’em’. So if they saw something they liked on the swinging gate I’m OK with the decision.

Who is they? There is no they.

wagsabison
10-26-2019, 11:43 PM

It’s math.

bisonaudit
10-26-2019, 11:43 PM

Ok, pronoun police. The wildcat QB from, what I’ve heard, makes the decision on the field.

VirginiaBison
10-26-2019, 11:45 PM
... I’m questioning why our qb ran the ball 20 times more than anything Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Lance's runs are mostly his call based on what he sees the defense is offering. Also heard Hanson(?) say that coaches believe Lance is less likely to get hurt running the ball than standing in the pocket and getting hit. [Granted he has been rarely sacked so far this season] He said, pocket hits are often more harder and violent, than when Lance runs and get hit by a safety or corner. He pointed to Stick running the ball and avoiding injury.

Wally
10-26-2019, 11:48 PM
It’s math.

There was 20 minutes left in the game.

CAS4127
10-26-2019, 11:49 PM
I believe Lance's runs are mostly his call based on what he see the defense is offering. Also heard Hanson(?) say that coaches believe Lance is less likely to get hurt running the ball than standing in the pocket and getting hit. [Granted he has been rarely sacked so far this season] He said, pocket hits are often more harder and violent, than when Lance runs and get hit by a safety or corner. He pointed to Stick running the ball and avoiding injury.

But he won’t be standing in the pocket if he hands it off on a run play.

Wally
10-26-2019, 11:50 PM
Ok, pronoun police. The wildcat QB from, what I’ve heard, makes the decision on the field.

You like to exert your brain power, just not so much with pronouns

Uffda
10-26-2019, 11:54 PM

The French national teams are known as Les Bleus. Coincidence? I think not.

bisonaudit
10-26-2019, 11:55 PM
There was 20 minutes left in the game.

Up 10, the math suggests that late in the 3rd qtr is actually marginally better time to attempt PAT2.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/when-to-go-for-2-for-real/

VirginiaBison
10-26-2019, 11:55 PM
Tyler will be fine. I think we all knew there’d be some growing pains. It’s only his 7th game and against a good team Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he sometimes calls plays he wishes were call when he played. Now is his chance to run them. Gets in the way of good judgement at times, until he gets more than a year or two of experience under his belt. Probably caught in the twilight zone dimension between playing and coaching. Eventually he will get over to the fully coach zone.

VirginiaBison
10-27-2019, 12:03 AM
But he won’t be standing in the pocket if he hands it off on a run play. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk It appears you need to pull Lance aside and talk to him about handing the ball off to a back instead of running it himself. It does not appear the OC calls a pure QB run unless is for short yardage 1 st down.

CAS4127
10-27-2019, 12:07 AM
It appears you need to pull Lance aside and talk to him about handing the ball off to a back instead of running it himself. It does not appear the OC calls a pure QB run unless is for short yardage 1 st down.

I don’t think you understood what I was getting at.

JMB
10-27-2019, 12:12 AM
It appears you need to pull Lance aside and talk to him about handing the ball off to a back instead of running it himself. It does not appear the OC calls a pure QB run unless is for short yardage 1 st down.

I actually suspect very few of his runs were options... IF they were I am not sure he read them correctly

VirginiaBison
10-27-2019, 12:14 AM
My thoughts...

3) Halfback pass

Well, they are first year coaches after all. Stig has decades of experience and he asked a qb with zero game experience to try a pass on 3 &9 in the closing minutes of a game versus the #1 FCS defense instead of handing of the one of the top 3 RBs in the FCS who had already run for over 100 yards during the game. Juvenile coach's play calls caused problems but not loss of the game. Stig' call cost SDUS the game.

Just wondering why the 4th and inches at the Bison 29 is not on your list. Are only the failed executions considered bad coaching decisions?

NDSU1980
10-27-2019, 12:19 AM
Tyler will be fine. I think we all knew there’d be some growing pains. It’s only his 7th game and against a good team

Tyler may survive but Lance won't if they keep running him like that. Good God, we have lots of RB's and good ones at that. Save the freaking QB runs for the occasionally needed play. If Roehl can't figure that out we are in big trouble.

scottietohottie
10-27-2019, 12:26 AM
Tuszka went Tuszka at the end there.

89MTBISON
10-27-2019, 12:27 AM
Well, they are first year coaches after all. Stig has decades of experience and he asked a qb with zero game experience to try a pass on 3 &9 in the closing minutes of a game versus the #1 FCS defense instead of handing of the one of the top 3 RBs in the FCS who had already run for over 100 yards during the game. Juvenile coach's play calls caused problems but not loss of the game. Stig' call cost SDUS the game.

Just wondering why the 4th and inches at the Bison 29 is not on your list. Are only the failed executions considered bad coaching decisions?

That was a very vanilla play call. The gripe is the gimmicky plays like the halfback pass that got picked.

FrozenTech
10-27-2019, 12:31 AM
What I would like to know on the QB runs is - are they RPO or are they called QB runs.

We likely won't ever know for sure, but if they are RPOs I think they need to move to more of a play action intermediate throw game and take that option away til Trey gets his Grove back with his arm.

And enough of the trick plays. They're neat but nothing beats solid Bison execution of the fundamentals.

Thanks Cofield for making some magic after the line opened a god damned hole.

We needed it today.

NDSUBowler
10-27-2019, 12:33 AM
My opinions on the 4 big playcalls

2pt try: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think either way is fine. Given SDSU has a good kicker and was gouging us on short runs, I can understand trying to make it a 3-score game

WR pass: I like it sucks there was OPI. Fun to show the trickery!

HB pass: on its face it looks bad, and I wish they ran power. Keep it simple! But the play WAS there, it just wasnt executed and SDSU made a good play.

4th down call: GUTS!!!! I love NDSU ran for it. If you can’t get half a yard then you don’t deserve to win. I was nervous as could be but good on them to make the call.

I do think the fact NDSU playcalling has been a wildcard potentially helped them on the run. When SDSU has to guess if NDSU is going to do something crazy, they may not be fully committed to stopping a basic run.

All in all, I think the calls as a whole were ‘alright’.

NDSUBowler
10-27-2019, 12:35 AM
Also the atmosphere was amazing and, unlike last time, fans were great to interact with! Outside the one girl who sat with her mom and threw popcorn at the bench and gave a lot of double birds.

Intense game. Fans brought it!!

bisonaudit
10-27-2019, 12:37 AM
12 isn’t a three score lead. It forces 2 touchdowns.

BiZon22
10-27-2019, 12:39 AM
Anyone have a video of the Tuszka strip sack/non strip sack?

VirginiaBison
10-27-2019, 12:40 AM
That was a very vanilla play call. The gripe is the gimmicky plays like the halfback pass that got picked. Oh, I see. Everyone (including SDSU, the announcers, and Stig) was expecting a QB sneak, so doing the handoff to Cofield doesn't qualify as a 'trick play' because ....? Because it was not tricky or gimmicky enough under some sort of measure of tricky/gimmicky relativity?

wagsabison
10-27-2019, 12:45 AM
Tyler may survive but Lance won't if they keep running him like that. Good God, we have lots of RB's and good ones at that. Save the freaking QB runs for the occasionally needed play. If Roehl can't figure that out we are in big trouble.

I agree. Didn’t seem like we ever tried to get the rb’s in a rhythm. Have to assume this was by design and I think they should have abandoned their gamelan after the first half.

Where was Kobe?

NDSUBowler
10-27-2019, 12:45 AM
12 isn’t a three score lead. It forces 2 touchdowns.

Sorry duh I meant 2 td. Exhausted after a long travel day. My head went ‘hmm td fg fg thats 3 scores’ and wrote it down.

My point remains the same though.

wagsabison
10-27-2019, 12:47 AM
Going for it on 4th and short on your own 29 is ballsy or stupid. Nobody makes that call and I’m glad Entz did.

garbageman
10-27-2019, 12:48 AM
Anyone have a video of the Tuszka strip sack/non strip sack?

They do on souixsports fan forum

89MTBISON
10-27-2019, 12:52 AM
I think Roehl read too much of the press saying how awesome the SDSU d line was, if we run Bison power football, very different game in our favor. Will be interesting to see what adjustments we make from this game against schizophrenic Youngstown next saturday.

23Bison
10-27-2019, 12:55 AM
I think in hindsight they could have ran up the middle a few more times. It sure seemed to work in the 2nd half.

89MTBISON
10-27-2019, 01:04 AM
Show of hands. How many pro 2 pt conversion folks out there in favor of going for 2 after Cofields TD?

BisonNeil
10-27-2019, 01:06 AM
Bison football never flourished when ex-RB coaches were promoted to Offensive Cord position.

It’s a good damn thing then that Roehl was the FB/TE coach then before he was promoted, heh?

2011BisonAlumni
10-27-2019, 01:06 AM
Show of hands. How many pro 2 pt conversion folks out there in favor of going for 2 after Cofields TD?

I liked the idea of making it a 2 TD game, especially when you had an SDSU backup QB in the game.

BiZon22
10-27-2019, 01:07 AM
They do on souixsports fan forum

Actually??

BadlandsBison
10-27-2019, 01:10 AM
Maybe I should ask lakes since he's the clock management expert, but did anyone else think it was weird that the rabbits tried a desperate trick play deep in their own territory on a 4th and life to go when they had 2 time outs? A punt and trust the hot defense seemed a better option.

BadlandsBison
10-27-2019, 01:12 AM
I liked the idea of making it a 2 TD game, especially when you had an SDSU backup QB in the game.

It would've been a big psychological blow to the rabbits. Desperate situation with a backup

BisonNeil
10-27-2019, 01:12 AM

There was only like 2:49 left on the clock in fourth quarter. The Bison were unlikely to get the ball back. I don’t think Entz had much choice than to go for it.

Bisman
10-27-2019, 01:16 AM

It's James Hendricks call if they go for two. If he doesn't think they can make two he calls in the kicker.

BisonNeil
10-27-2019, 01:22 AM
Going for it on 4th and short on your own 29 is ballsy or stupid. Nobody makes that call and I’m glad Entz did.

Just looked at replay and there was 2:42 left in the game. Do you seriously think there was a better chance of punting and getting the ball back? With a RB like Strong? All they need is one first down. I think it’s stupid that you think that call was stupid.

natstar1
10-27-2019, 01:22 AM

I think it's marginally better to go for two.

I'm not defending the play.

2011BisonAlumni
10-27-2019, 01:24 AM
It would've been a big psychological blow to the rabbits. Desperate situation with a backup

Yep. They weren’t going to score two more TD’s in that game. I liked the call. I think it would have put a ton of pressure on the Jacks offense, and I definitely could have seen another TO.

natstar1
10-27-2019, 01:25 AM

exactly this. If we didn't get the first down or TD on that 4th down many on Bisonville would have called it the worst decision in the history of Bison football.

NDSUKurt
10-27-2019, 01:27 AM
For the 2 point conversion:

I was opposed to it, but it did make some sense.

If it was converted, NDSU would be up by 12. Add in another FG and it is 15, or 2 TD and a MUST HAVE 2 point conversion from SDSU. With the entire 4th quarter left, it could have gone like this:

NDSU up 12.
SDSU scores a TD on the very next drive. NDSU up 5.
NDSU scores a FG, NDSU up 8 with 8 min left.
SDSU scores TD, converts on 2 point conversion tie game with 1-2 minutes left.
NDSU drives for game winning FG.

Now I realize this is a lot of things in a specific order, but it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities.

89MTBISON
10-27-2019, 01:29 AM
I think it's marginally better to go for two.

I'm not defending the play.

AFTER COFIELDS TD...to take the lead with under 3 minutes to play, up by 6, not 7. Are you still a fan of going for two under those circumstances? If this is just a statistics thang, as some say, do you go for 2? I say hell no. Not a fan of our new PAT scheme.

BisonNeil
10-27-2019, 01:29 AM
For the 2 point conversion:

I was opposed to it, but it did make some sense.

If it was converted, NDSU would be up by 12. Add in another FG and it is 15, or 2 TD and a MUST HAVE 2 point conversion from SDSU. With the entire 4th quarter left, it could have gone like this:

NDSU up 12.
SDSU scores a TD on the very next drive. NDSU up 5.
NDSU scores a FG, NDSU up 8 with 8 min left.
SDSU scores TD, converts on 2 point conversion tie game with 1-2 minutes left.
NDSU drives for game winning FG.

Now I realize this is a lot of things in a specific order, but it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Too many ifs. That’s what is called a rationalization.

2011BisonAlumni
10-27-2019, 01:30 AM
exactly this. If we didn't get the first down or TD on that 4th down many on Bisonville would have called it the worst decision in the history of Bison football.

If you can’t get 4 inches, you have no business winning the game. Matt Entz decides to win the game instead of fuck around with a million possibilities of punting the ball and overtime.

It was the right call.

X-Factor
10-27-2019, 01:32 AM
The Dakota Marker weighs 71lbs.

Colfield’s winning TD run was 71 yards. Kinda cool.

Not cool were the two trick plays called in critical situations.

Article I read said 78 lbs. could be wrong though

2011BisonAlumni
10-27-2019, 01:32 AM
AFTER COFIELDS TD...to take the lead with under 3 minutes to play, up by 6, not 7. Are you still a fan of going for two under those circumstances? If this is just a statistics thang, as some say, do you go for 2? I say hell no. Not a fan of our new PAT scheme.

I like teams having to defend against it.

Chris Klieman was predictable. He won, but he didn’t ever attempt to put the foot on the throttle. Cost us the game in Missoula a few years ago, the JMU playoff game in 2016, the USD game in 2015 etc etc.

NDSUKurt
10-27-2019, 01:33 AM
Too many ifs. That’s what is called a rationalization.

I agree. Like I said, I did not agree with the decision. But that is a way that it COULD have played out.

natstar1
10-27-2019, 01:33 AM
misread that, I would have kicked the PAT.

NDSU92
10-27-2019, 01:34 AM
Just looked at replay and there was 2:42 left in the game. Do you seriously think there was a better chance of punting and getting the ball back? With a RB like Strong? All they need is one first down. I think it’s stupid that you think that call was stupid.

Do you realize the game was tied?

td577
10-27-2019, 01:35 AM
My only thought is the bunnies absolutely had to win this game and played like it. They know if they meet the Bison again in the playoffs there is a much better chance if the game is in Brookings. The bunnies don't beat the playoff Bison in the dome.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

natstar1
10-27-2019, 01:36 AM
If you can’t get 4 inches, you have no business winning the game. Matt Entz decides to win the game instead of fuck around with a million possibilities of punting the ball and overtime.

It was the right call.

I never disagreed with the call. There will come a time when these calls aren't "gutsy" or "ballsy" they'll just be right.

If you read the GDT thread I said they should go for it, but said there was no way they would.

2011BisonAlumni
10-27-2019, 01:40 AM
My only thought is the bunnies absolutely had to win this game and played like it. They know if they meet the Bison again in the playoffs there is a much better chance if the game is in Brookings. The bunnies don't beat the playoff Bison in the dome.

I think it is very reasonable that SDSU drops another game or two. They end the season playing Illinois State, UNI and then play in Vermillion.

A three loss SDSU team will not be seeded and will be routed straight through Fargo.

NDSU has a tough opponent on the schedule in YSU next week, and then three straight games against MVFC bottom feeders.

BisonNeil
10-27-2019, 01:46 AM

Yes, of course, you play to win in regulation, not hope like hell you can stop them and then try to win it in OT.

JMUVtFan
10-27-2019, 01:46 AM

Exactly, I laughed when I read that. No need to "win". Win it in OT. Also, just getting a first down doesn't mean anything. Say they ran it, got 3 yards and a first down. Then what? You still have to drive and get in field goal range. Worked out but bad decision. Right play call if you had to go for it (which they didn't).

JMUVtFan
10-27-2019, 01:48 AM
Yes, of course, you play to win in regulation, not hope like hell you can stop them and then try to win it in OT.

If they had been on the 10 yard line, 4th and inches. Would you go for it then?

2011BisonAlumni
10-27-2019, 01:50 AM
Exactly, I laughed when I read that. No need to "win". Win it in OT. Also, just getting a first down doesn't mean anything. Say they ran it, got 3 yards and a first down. Then what? You still have to drive and get in field goal range. Worked out but bad decision. Right play call if you had to go for it (which they didn't).

Then you at least realistically can run it out until OT and prevent them from having another crack.

It was the right call, especially considering the momentum the Jacks had.

You punt it away, and I guarantee you we watch a game winning field goal to end regulation.

2011BisonAlumni
10-27-2019, 01:52 AM

Probably. Especially considering how we were gashing them up the middle. If you don’t get it, you let them score quick and get the ball back.

If NDSU is up, then obviously no.

Play to win the game.

BisonNeil
10-27-2019, 01:52 AM
NDSU has a tough opponent on the schedule in YSU next week, and then three straight games against MVFC bottom feeders.

YSU is 1-3 in the league, 4-4 overall. SIU is 2-2 in the league and 4-4 overall. Both opponents are at home against the Bison. I don’t think SIU is a bottom feeder. Pelini always has his team ready to play the Bison but the puppies are playing much better as of late.

BisonNeil
10-27-2019, 01:55 AM

It wasn’t, it was nearly 20 yds further down field. An irrelevant and moot scenario.

2011BisonAlumni
YSU is 1-3 in the league, 4-4 overall. SIU is 2-2 in the league and 4-4 overall. Both opponents are at home against the Bison. I don’t think SIU is a bottom feeder. Pelini always has his team ready to play the Bison but the puppies are playing much better as of late.

YSU is a much much much more talented team and will be playing for their playoff lives. Haven’t watched SIU lately.

JMUVtFan
Then you at least realistically can run it out until OT and prevent them from having another crack.

It was the right call, especially considering the momentum the Jacks had.

You punt it away, and I guarantee you we watch a game winning field goal to end regulation.

You're more afraid of a 3rd string quarterback putting together a game winning drive then one O lineman mishandling a rusher and blowing the game?! Either way, it doesn't matter cause it worked!

JMUVtFan
10-27-2019, 01:56 AM
It wasn’t, it was nearly 20 yds further down field. An irrelevant and moot scenario.

That's why I said "if". Trying to gage where you draw the line, if ever.

89MTBISON
10-27-2019, 02:07 AM
Play it safe take the easier point. Count on your best in FCS D. That has been Bison championship football for this dynasty. No need to reinvent the wheel based on "statistics." You know, those wonderful fungible statistics.

Rock
10-27-2019, 02:50 AM
Nice to see NDSU try to call SDSU offsides before the 4th and short. Good composure by both teams not to jump.

56BISON73
10-27-2019, 03:04 AM
You're more afraid of a 3rd string quarterback putting together a game winning drive then one O lineman mishandling a rusher and blowing the game?! Either way, it doesn't matter cause it worked!

What does the 3rd string QB comment have to do with anything???

What we wanted to take out of the equation was SDSUs kicker.

bisoneer
10-27-2019, 03:17 AM
Nice to see NDSU try to call SDSU offsides before the 4th and short. Good composure by both teams not to jump.

A very entertaining game considering all the rushing an not much passing. Going for two was risky and it failed, maybe Hendricks should have taken a TO as they had numbers on our formation in front or could he have passed it to the right, I could not see what was out there as the TV camera man failed too.
As for the HB pass, wtf on your own 30 or so? Only do that in the red zone. On the 4th down on the 30 another very risky call but was glad we did it either way, losing this game would not be the end of the season by any means, maybe a conf. champ forfeit and maybe a home playoff game risk to SDSU if they went on to win the conference. Brooks & Coffields lit it up on the big runs! FUN TO WATCH! THANKS TO THE OFFENSIVE LINE!

Did not look at D stats yet but they did it like champs again too.

BUT, all said and done it was GREAT!!!!

BisonEngrGirl
10-27-2019, 03:44 AM
Going for it on the 4th down was the right call IMO, and I would maintain that even if we didn’t get a first down (or score). I felt if we had any chance to win the game, we had to take the risk. Our defense was bend not break the whole game, and the likelihood that SDSU could’ve gotten a field goal if we punted was high. Even if SDSU didn’t get a FG, they could have easily ran enough time off the clock that we couldn’t have gotten the ball back and had time to score, therefor leading to over time and who knows what. Right when we were marked short of the first down, my immediate thought was that we had to go for it. We were having success with our running backs, and having enough success with Lance that the probability of getting those couple of inches was high. Although, I was extremely surprised it wasn’t a QB sneak.

bisonaudit
10-27-2019, 03:53 AM

Up 10 late in the 3rd my first thought was PAT1, but it turns out, that’s mostly wrong. You could construct an argument from the data that it’s a push, but the best evidence I’ve seen is PAT2 is the better choice there. Add the swinging gate which lets you weigh up the defensive alignment immediately before deciding and I think it’s very hard to dispute the decision, unless you can make a case that the defense was misdiagnosed.

Up six late in the 4th, PAT1 is clearly the best choice.

See link in post #69 for details.

CoachFSCB
10-27-2019, 03:55 AM
I can't imagine the folks in Brookings are too happy tonight. Hopefully, though, not as seriously ticked off as they were 29 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FlNu0dWXes

GRAFTONBISON
10-27-2019, 04:02 AM
I can't imagine the folks in Brookings are too happy tonight. Hopefully, though, not as seriously ticked off as they were 29 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FlNu0dWXes

Stay classy Brookings, stay classy

MNLonghorn10
10-27-2019, 04:03 AM
big play in the game was before the NDSU INT, SDSU goes from 3rd and 4 to a 3rd and 9 passing down after a false start. thanks buddy

bisonaudit
10-27-2019, 04:21 AM
big play in the game was before the NDSU INT, SDSU goes from 3rd and 4 to a 3rd and 9 passing down after a false start. thanks buddy

I don’t know. Wasn’t it tied? And they were still in FG range, yes? I assume they had the wind in the 4th as we got to ball to start the half. In any case should be 4 down territory anyway, no? Doesn’t seem to me Stig had to throw it there.

MNLonghorn10
10-27-2019, 04:24 AM
define field goal range...i think they were between the 25-30, and Vinaterie sounds like hes had some accuracy issues this year vs what we're used to. went from about a 35 yard field goal to a 40+. they were probably running on 3rd and 4, could've gotten a first and

bisonaudit
10-27-2019, 04:34 AM
define field goal range...i think they were between the 25-30, and Vinaterie sounds like hes had some accuracy issues this year vs what we're used to. went from about a 35 yard field goal to a 40+. they were probably running on 3rd and 4, could've gotten a first and

they were on the 31 after the pen. So it would have been 40 at least. assuming no gain on 3rd down 43, then 48 after the infraction. If that’s to far they had 4th down to run another play. They weren’t forced to pass there, or shouldn’t have felt they were anyway.

The kids mistake cost them 5 yards but it didn’t cost them possession, if you’re going to assign blame for that it goes to the coaches assuming they fell into this forced to pass line of reasoning.

HerdBot
10-27-2019, 04:35 AM

With a backup QB, it was obvious they were going to struggle to score TDs. That would meant they needed a TD and 2 field goals to win. With a backup, the odds of making a 2 point conversion was slim too. That would have also put them in a hurry up mode with a rookie QB. They were scared of our pass rush and that's why they ran 60 times

El_Chapo
10-27-2019, 04:38 AM

nope the leer jet was in the air over our tailgate lot, 20 minutes after show end!

El_Chapo
10-27-2019, 04:46 AM
Maybe I should ask lakes since he's the clock management expert, but did anyone else think it was weird that the rabbits tried a desperate trick play deep in their own territory on a 4th and life to go when they had 2 time outs? A punt and trust the hot defense seemed a better option.

that surprised me too, stig had to know that NDSU would be vanilla and run 3 times. good catch dude!

DCinOK
10-27-2019, 04:52 AM
Kick the extra point. This swinging gate crap is high school nonsense.

bisonaudit
10-27-2019, 05:01 AM

3 of 5 now or 1.2 expected points per attempt. v. 0.97 something kicking (33 of 34). And I don’t recall an attempted PAT2 in a circumstance where it was obviously wrong, though I haven’t analyzed them all. Seems like both the decision making and the execution have been good. Can’t complain.

HerdBot
10-27-2019, 05:08 AM
Trying to digest that. What a hell of a game and one of the best atmospheres with tons of Bison fans.

The penalties and lack of execution was a bigger problem. Ugly early but we did what we always do and were a 2nd half team. Seems like we get so focused at running it up the gut with straight drive blocks, we dont do a good job of running off tackle

Trey was pretty meh today but I forget sometimes hes a freshman and Stick was pretty meh too in the passing game as a freshman

But I wont bitch. We won. Super awesome

I worry about this offense like I did the 2016 Bison. It just doesnt seem to have the ability to make big plays in the passing game. That's something Mess did really well

Need a little less Polasek and more Mess at times. What ever happened to the wheel routes and the killer outside run game

bisonaudit
10-27-2019, 05:15 AM
3 of 5 now or 1.2 expected points per attempt. v. 0.97 something kicking (33 of 34). And I don’t recall an attempted PAT2 in a circumstance where it was obviously wrong, though I haven’t analyzed them all. Seems like both the decision making and the execution have been good. Can’t complain.

Having checked the box scores. Illinois State up 13 in the first was probably the most suspect circumstance.

bison_by_blood
10-27-2019, 05:15 AM
I love the 2 points. That being said, the idea of that play is to run when you have the numbers. Today we ran it against the numbers. That’s on Jimmy Football. Coaches are clearly giving him free reign to fake it whenever. Jimmy got frisky today and ran it when he should’ve checked to the kick. It’s one poor execution of the swinging gate play. Jimmy will learn his lesson from that. Only fake when the numbers are there.

bisonaudit
10-27-2019, 05:22 AM
I love the 2 points. That being said, the idea of that play is to run when you have the numbers. Today we ran it against the numbers. That’s on Jimmy Football. Coaches are clearly giving him free reign to fake it whenever. Jimmy got frisky today and ran it when he should’ve checked to the kick. It’s one poor execution of the swinging gate play. Jimmy will learn his lesson from that. Only fake when the numbers are there.

I disagree a little bit. The idea is to go for it when the odds of converting increase your chance to win the game more than attempting a PAT1 does. You don’t necessarily have to have the numbers for that to be true.

bison_by_blood
10-27-2019, 05:38 AM
I disagree a little bit. The idea is to go for it when the odds of converting increase your chance to win the game more than attempting a PAT1 does. You don’t necessarily have to have the numbers for that to be true.

Ok, but that’s what we’re doing. I agree we should kick it more often. That’s on Jimmy to know better.

bison_by_blood
10-27-2019, 05:45 AM
Ok, but that’s what we’re doing. I agree we should kick it more often. That’s on Jimmy to know better.

Jimmy screwed that one up. Numbers weren’t there but he wanted to get one. It’s one screw up. We’ve run that play several times to see if it might work in the playoffs. Jimmy missing that one will be a good lesson. Kick it every time the rest of the regular season to get Griff some confidence. But that swinging gate, if it is used sparingly, could get us a big 2 in the playoffs. Time to shut it down until then.

bisonaudit
10-27-2019, 05:48 AM

Just to be clear, I do not think we should be kicking more. Up 10 late in the 3rd is a green light PAT2, you don’t need a swinging gate induced personnel advantage there for it to be correct to try the PAT2. Therefore, I don’t think Jimmy made an error there.

See link in post #69 for details.

56BISON73
10-27-2019, 05:49 AM

From the replay ---was the kicker even in the game? From what I saw they were in the swinging gate formation which means you couldnt have checked out from the kick. The coach had to of called the play. It was a direct snap with Hendriks standing up. He then tried to run up the middle. If he actually checks out of the kick in the PAT formation he will take the snap as if we are still kicking.

Or am I seeing it wrong because of the shitty replay?

bison_by_blood
10-27-2019, 06:34 AM
From the replay ---was the kicker even in the game? From what I saw they were in the swinging gate formation which means you couldnt have checked out from the kick. The coach had to of called the play. It was a direct snap with Hendriks standing up. He then tried to run up the middle. If he actually checks out of the kick in the PAT formation he will take the snap as if we are still kicking.

Or am I seeing it wrong because of the shitty replay?

Can’t say for sure because of poor TV. But we have run several swinging gates this year where we kicked it. It would be strange to run it without the kicker on field

Christopher Moen
10-27-2019, 09:02 AM
That game resembled a heavyweight fight featuring pretty much all body blows. NDSU won because they floored SDSU twice with haymakers.

Not pretty, but I’ll take it. With over 330 yards rushing, I wonder what the Bison team will be able to do against elite competition when they get better at executing the play calls. The past few games, especially on offense, they’ve been playing too tight. Need to be loose as a goose and as mean as a moose.

8-0 with numerous victories against ranked teams is awesome, and to think, this young team has not peaked yet.

Professor Chaos
10-27-2019, 11:53 AM
I cannot be overstated what a ballsy call that was by Entz to go for it on 4th down from his own 30 with under 3 minutes to play in a tie game. He only had 1 TO left and SDSU had a true freshman 3rd string QB in the game. They don't get that they have a high probability to lose. They punt they have a pretty high probability it goes to OT. Chris Klieman or Craig Bohl punt that ball 100 times out of 100. Entz would've been crucified by fans and media alike if they fail to cover that. Monster kudos to him for having the guts to make that call.

As far as the call to go for 2, I like the call in that situation just not the particular play call or execution. There's a big difference between an 11 point lead (TD + 2pt and a FG) and a 12 point lead (2 TDs). Not as much of a difference between a 10 and 11 point lead, just forces a team to go for 2 instead of kick the XP and with the way SDSU was running the ball I'd say the probability of them converting a 2pt play was pretty high.

NorthernBison
10-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Watson and Sproles lack the speed to separate from the Jacks DBacks. That will remain a limitation against teams with equal corners and safeties. Eliminating some big play potential.

I wanted us to go for it on 4th and agreed with the call.

NOT because it’s the right call. Normally, the superior team doesn’t make decisions that lose the game if you don’t make it. In this case there’s about a 99% chance of losing if we turn it over.

I wanted to go for it because our defense was getting abused and they have a great kicker.

I disagreed with the PAT2 at the time it was attempted. Actually before we even snapped the ball. The result (FG followed by TD to tie) affirms my opinion. Also based on their problems finishing in red zone. In other words, I think their PAT2 odds are lower than 50-50.

I hate the late hit penalty when the runner is still going upfield and just touched the line a split second before getting hit.

Professor Chaos
10-27-2019, 11:58 AM
Watson and Sproles lack the speed to separate from the Jacks DBacks. That will remain a limitation against teams with equal corners and safeties. Eliminating some big play potential.
Idk, I thought both but Watson especially have enough speed to burn teams. Both those guys had beaten their guys on long pass attempts at least once but Lance missed them. In Watsons case it was underthrown so it drew a PI but in Sproles case he just overthrew him.

I do think Sproles is better suited for the slot though. Get him in some mismatches against LBs and safeties and give Lance some easier throws. It's really frustrating me to see all these home run balls he's throwing but hardly anything in the short to intermediate passing game. They need to remember he's a freshman and call some high percentage pass plays that will help him get into a rhythm throwing the ball.

NorthernBison
10-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Idk, I thought both but Watson especially have enough speed to burn teams. Both those guys had beaten their guys on long pass attempts at least once but Lance missed them. In Watsons case it was underthrown so it drew a PI but in Sproles case he just overthrew him.

I do think Sproles is better suited for the slot though. Get him in some mismatches against LBs and safeties and give Lance some easier throws. It's really frustrating me to see all these home run balls he's throwing but hardly anything in the short to intermediate passing game. They need to remember he's a freshman and call some high percentage pass plays that will help him get into a rhythm throwing the ball.

Just to be clear, I don’t think they are slow by any means. Maybe the Jacks just have a lot of speed back there.

bisoningrandforks
10-27-2019, 12:29 PM
as good as Lance is, he is not a polished throwing qb....YET!

Professor Chaos
10-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Another thing to remember is it's freaking hard to complete those deep throws at this level. If anyone remembers 2014 even Wentz as a 4th year junior was pretty sketchy throwing the deep ball that year missing guys pretty regularly. Lance is just a freshman and he will most likely never have the arm talent that Carson had. Just underscores the importance of designing more high percentage throws for him in the short to intermediate range. Roehl is a young OC so I'm sure it's easy to get caught up in the game and lose track of things like that but I hope they start making a concerted effort early in the game to give Lance some high percentage throws to get him in a better rhythm as the game goes on.

tjbison
10-27-2019, 12:54 PM
Coaching nearly lost that game, tired of the 2 pt tries, trick plays on 3rd and 2, wtf

WeAreThePride
10-27-2019, 12:56 PM

I agreed with you at the time, but thinking about it, it's all about forcing SDSU to score TDs, which they did very few of. They scored a pile of field goals, and as Entz learned from Kleiman, Field Goals Do Not Beat You.

02Bison
10-27-2019, 12:57 PM

NOT because it’s the right call. Normally, the superior team doesn’t make decisions that lose the game if you don’t make it. In this case there’s about a 99% chance of losing if we turn it over.

I wanted to go for it because our defense was getting abused and they have a great kicker.

I disagreed with the PAT2 at the time it was attempted. Actually before we even snapped the ball. The result (FG followed by TD to tie) affirms my opinion. Also based on their problems finishing in red zone. In other words, I think their PAT2 odds are lower than 50-50.

I hate the late hit penalty when the runner is still going upfield and just touched the line a split second before getting hit.

It is not always about speed. Quickness is the intangible that matters more. There are plenty of examples at all levels of guys that aren't the fastest being the best.

WeAreThePride
10-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Coaching nearly lost that game, tired of the 2 pt tries, trick plays on 3rd and 2, wtf

Makes me think back to the good old days in 2016, when we lost to JMU. Bisonville was furious at Polasek for his vanilla offense. Then yesterday Bisonville is screaming for "JUST RUN IT UP THE GUT!!"

Running it up the gut is always the right call against bad teams. JMU and SDSU are not bad teams.

scottietohottie
10-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Makes me think back to the good old days in 2016, when we lost to JMU. Bisonville was furious at Polasek for his vanilla offense. Then yesterday Bisonville is screaming for "JUST RUN IT UP THE GUT!!"

Running it up the gut is always the right call against bad teams. JMU and SDSU are not bad teams.

Yeah but run it up the gut seems to work really well this year. It was all the fancy crap that almost cost the game. Coaches are in the second guess themselves phase on their coaching journey. Trying to get to smart. It happens. Those runs up the gut need to be done and need to be used to set up other plays. It will be alright.

scottietohottie
10-27-2019, 01:21 PM
When they stack the box then it's time to let Trey beat them.

scottietohottie
10-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Play action would also help our slow wide receivers get open.

SDSUAlum08
10-27-2019, 02:07 PM
they were on the 31 after the pen. So it would have been 40 at least. assuming no gain on 3rd down 43, then 48 after the infraction. If that’s to far they had 4th down to run another play. They weren’t forced to pass there, or shouldn’t have felt they were anyway.

The kids mistake cost them 5 yards but it didn’t cost them possession, if you’re going to assign blame for that it goes to the coaches assuming they fell into this forced to pass line of reasoning.

Stig said in the post-game the interception was just as much on the coaches as our QB. I agree. Tough sequence for SDSU there and likely the new QB had an affect on the false start too.

HerdBot
10-27-2019, 02:14 PM

This team lacks a downfield passing game, just like the 2016 team. Mess added a dimension to the team that was needed yesterday. Most weeks we dont need it, but we could certainly run the ball better outside with Mess who mixed in more zone blocking

El_Chapo
10-27-2019, 02:23 PM
when gibbs went out, I have no idea why NDSU didn't just stack 8 in the box. seemed like we stayed in our base the entire game.

Also, Trey Lance should've been allowed to pass more yesterday, 20 runs was ridiculous. At some point you gotta trust Trey to throw.

Professor Chaos
10-27-2019, 02:30 PM
This team lacks a downfield passing game, just like the 2016 team. Mess added a dimension to the team that was needed yesterday. Most weeks we dont need it, but we could certainly run the ball better outside with Mess who mixed in more zone blocking
Disagree, yards per pass attempt are right in line with last year. IMO they lack a short to intermediate passing game which is why they haven't been sustaining drives over the last couple games.

HerdBot
10-27-2019, 02:30 PM
when gibbs went out, I have no idea why NDSU didn't just stack 8 in the box. seemed like we stayed in our base the entire game.

Also, Trey Lance should've been allowed to pass more yesterday, 20 runs was ridiculous. At some point you gotta trust Trey to throw.

This ^^

Its like no shit, a backup QB isnt going to light it up. They dont get enough reps to go any deeper than base offense. Terrible adjustment by our DC. At the very least make it look like a 2 deep and have one safety run to the line of scrimmage. Totally out coached there. If I was thinking it as a fan...

HerdBot
10-27-2019, 02:53 PM
When they stack the box then it's time to let Trey beat them.

I think it's time to put in a fullback or single back with Trey under center and do play action

Bisman
10-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Postgame Press Conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxPSqeLccTM

Herd
10-27-2019, 02:58 PM
Had a great game experience at Dykehouse with the exception of one item. What the H were the Overall wearing Hobos doing banging hard hats against the grandstand? How is something so bushleague allowed in 2019? Their purpose was strictly to wreck our enjoyment of the game, and to intimidate. I was shocked. They finally were asked to stop and about went nuts. Anyway . . .

BisonNeil
10-27-2019, 03:16 PM
YSU is a much much much more talented team and will be playing for their playoff lives. Haven’t watched SIU lately.

Not trying to hammer on this too much, but found it interesting what Craig Haley of STATS stated about SIU today:

"Southern Illinois, which hammered UMass in early September, had fallen to 2-4, but it has gotten back to .500 with back-to-back wins over Youngstown State and South Dakota by a combined 73-38. The Salukis, who have gotten a lift from running back D.J. Davis' return from injury, have three more winnable games before a likely loss to North Dakota State in the regular season finale, but 7-5 with an FBS win would be a solid playoff resume."

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20191026225504565871604&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Of course the UMass mention is because they are FBS. And I had forgotten that SIU had beaten YSU.

I still don't think SIU is a bottom feeder. I think that will be a very good game for the Bison to fine-tune their game for the playoffs.

BisManBison
10-27-2019, 03:28 PM

It made no sense why they refused to bring a safety down and make SDSU one dimensional.

Bison 4 Life
10-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Postgame Press Conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxPSqeLccTM

The SDSU one is delicious.

MNLonghorn10
10-27-2019, 03:51 PM
I think this guy posts on bville and i understand this is probably emotion...but lets not go poking the hornets nest if you get sent to fargo for another playoff losshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191027/0961084bc71aa20c45040deb7305b311.jpg

Mr Meaty
10-27-2019, 03:52 PM
As we were leaving the stadium yesterday 2 gates on the east side were locked, yes I said locked. What a cluster fuck to get out of the stadium.

HerdBot
10-27-2019, 04:02 PM
If we are going to go for 2, why dont we just bring the offense out? Hendricks is a great athlete but he is not Trey Lance

23Bison
10-27-2019, 04:08 PM
What bothers me the most I think about this game was the penalty that took away a TD and the penalty that backed us up from their 4 yard line. They took two possible TDs off of the scoreboard.

CAS4127
10-27-2019, 04:15 PM
If we are going to go for 2, why dont we just bring the offense out? Hendricks is a great athlete but he is not Trey Lance

Most teams do, but that doesn’t fit with why Coach Entz is doing what he is doing with PAT. He wants to give other teams more to prepare for. Using our offense wouldn’t accomplish that. According to his philosophy, the swinging gate look and making the D prepare for and defend that does.

I’m not promoting or dissing it, just giving peeps a reminder of the why.

Have we thrown out of it yet? If not, I bet we do with Jimmy K being a former QB.

NDSU92
10-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Most teams do, but that doesn’t fit with why Coach Entz is doing what he is doing with PAT. He wants to give other teams more to prepare for. Using our offense wouldn’t accomplish that. According to his philosophy, the swinging gate look and making the D prepare for and defend that does.

Have we thrown out of it yet? If not, I bet we do with Jimmy K being a former QB.

I’ve always assumed we were saving the pass portion of the play for a “gotta have it” 2 pt conversion

El_Chapo
10-27-2019, 04:23 PM
As we were leaving the stadium yesterday 2 gates on the east side were locked, yes I said locked. What a cluster fuck to get out of the stadium.

That was a joke, then the cluster getting out. (News flash brookings PD) FORM 2 lines out 1 way. No one was coming south down medary avenue after the game duh!!!

HerdBot
10-27-2019, 04:36 PM

Makes sense but the special teams would have already spent the whole week prepping for it so its not like they weren't prepared. We do it seemingly every week. I just like the matchup of our first team offense better to get 3 yards when we are a power rushing team

CAS4127
10-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Makes sense but the special teams would have already spent the whole week prepping for it so its not like they weren't prepared. We do it seemingly every week. I just like the matchup of our first team offense better to get 3 yards when we are a power rushing team

I guessing most teams have to and or are using their base D to defend Sgate, or at least using many of their regular D starters/players.

HerdBot
10-27-2019, 04:53 PM
It made no sense why they refused to bring a safety down and make SDSU one dimensional.

I watched the replay and they did later in the game. Probably should have sooner

DCinOK
10-27-2019, 04:55 PM
I love Entz, but these words of his after the game are not my favorite...“We didn’t want our kids to get comfortable, here we go the same old offense every snap. It worked out OK. If we convert on those, we look like geniuses.”

I understand the need to not be predictable on offense, but if halfback passes at a crucial time and swinging gates for two are your go-to then you're fixing something that aint broke.

NDSUstudent
10-27-2019, 05:21 PM
The halfback pass was a horrendous call and we were lucky that it didn't cost us the game. I also don't get why our TEs just never get used, makes zero sense to me. Our entire offensive gameplan was just garbage yesterday.

Defense was also a mess, SDSU had a QB that could barely complete a forward pass and our DC and Entz seemed to take forever to figure it out.

People give Stig crap but he called out himself for that INT late in the game, Entz should have done the same. Just no excuse for that play call in that spot.

EC8CH
10-27-2019, 05:32 PM

Yep. WTF, open the gates. Apparently this level of thinking is beyond the people of Brookings.

Lots of middle fingers after the game as always.

Stopped to eat in Watertown on the way back.

ThunderDan
10-27-2019, 05:33 PM
The halfback pass was a horrendous call and we were lucky that it didn't cost us the game. I also don't get why our TEs just never get used, makes zero sense to me. Our entire offensive gameplan was just garbage yesterday.

Defense was also a mess, SDSU had a QB that could barely complete a forward pass and our DC and Entz seemed to take forever to figure it out.

People give Stig crap but he called out himself for that INT late in the game, Entz should have done the same. Just no excuse for that play call in that spot.

And if the play worked, everyone would say it was the greatest call ever. Just like the 4th down TD run...if it didn't work, everyone would say it was the dumbest call ever. FYI, on the halfback pass, the TE (I think it was TE, but can't remember) was wide open. The execution was lacking, but the guy was open.

wagsabison
10-27-2019, 05:49 PM

Play for overtime if we punt or hand them the victory if we don’t get the 4th down. They are in field goal range automatically

natstar1
10-27-2019, 05:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not a predetermined if we're going for 2 or not. If Hendricks likes the defensive alignment they go for 2, if he doesn't they kick.

semobison
10-27-2019, 05:57 PM
And if the play worked, everyone would say it was the greatest call ever. Just like the 4th down TD run...if it didn't work, everyone would say it was the dumbest call ever. FYI, on the halfback pass, the TE (I think it was TE, but can't remember) was wide open. The execution was lacking, but the guy was open.

Yep, great calls are only great when they work. The receiver was wide open on the HB pass. Doesn't mean I liked the call but had it worked...
Two weeks ago I was thinking we may have one of our best offensive teams ever. Funny how two games can change your perception.

wagsabison
10-27-2019, 06:05 PM

I feel like a lot of that was on Trey yesterday, he didn’t have a good game. Harder to complete passes when they aren’t wide open.

TAILG8R
10-27-2019, 06:07 PM
I'm not against going for 2 at the right times but I've never understood taking the percentage of success and extrapolating it out thinking that 1.2 points vs 1 point means you should go for it every time.

You don't get enough tries in many games for the averages to even out. On a single game basis the averages have very little to do with it in my opinion.

Taking into account score differential at the time does make sense to me.

All that said on the failed 2 pt I just don't get why you wouldn't force them to prove they can get 2. Kick the ball make them score AND prove they can get 2. Instead we chose to make ourselves prove we could get 2. The conversion rate is so low for 2 pt conversions why not pass that low chance on to your opponent?

I get it, IF you convert you're way better off. That is a big enough if that for me you don't do it.

Edit: holy nutmeg my spelling is bad when using my phone. Lol

El_Chapo
10-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Yep. WTF, open the gates. Apparently this level of thinking is beyond the people of Brookings.

Lots of middle fingers after the game as always.

Stopped to eat in Watertown on the way back.

AS did every NDSU fan. $0 spent in Brookings again. but Watertown LOVES NDSU! on the off ramp there was legit 100-150 NDSU cars backed up on it at Watertown Exit haha

td577
10-27-2019, 06:12 PM
About the 2. A person can play out all subsequent scenarios but at that time, it is just about the defensive formation. If the numbers favor the Bison, Jimmy football goes for 2. It is all about not over thinking this. Numbers work, go for 2. Every time.

td577
10-27-2019, 06:16 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThey have enough speed. With a little more experience, Lance is throwing those balls deeper and receivers are catching in stride.

CAS4127
10-27-2019, 06:18 PM
I feel like a lot of that was on Trey yesterday, he didn’t have a good game. Harder to complete passes when they aren’t wide open.

While Trey may have comparable or better arm strength than Stick, I don’t think he spins it as well, thus the inaccuracies in somewhat less than ideal/windy conditions. No question he doesn’t spin it nearly as well as Wentz.

GreenfieldBison
10-27-2019, 06:24 PM
Setting up the QB run stop and dump against Youngstown State. :)

If they were taking their lead from the scoreboard operator it is understandable that you would think this. The scoreboard was almost completely unreliable for down and distance, timeouts remaining and more. Must have been a true freshman at the controls in his/her first game appearance.

ndsubison1
10-27-2019, 06:28 PM

Because we played the best 1 or 2 team we will play all season

GreenfieldBison
10-27-2019, 06:32 PM

Their name is Jimmy Football.

Bisman
10-27-2019, 06:33 PM
The Bison Football Show with Matt Entz
https://www.valleynewslive.com/sports/bisonfootballshow/

EC8CH
10-27-2019, 06:48 PM
Their name is Jimmy Football.

He plays so many positions, he's a they.

VirginiaBison
10-27-2019, 06:52 PM
The halfback pass was horrendous execution and we were lucky that it didn't cost us the game. There, fixed it for you. The receiver was wide open with TD written all over it. Someone either missed a block or else the SDSU defensive plalyer made an exceptional play. Problem was not the call, but the execution.

tony
10-27-2019, 07:04 PM
#78 from SDSU should have had about 200 yards worth of holding penalties.

GreenfieldBison
10-27-2019, 08:00 PM

I would find it difficult to disagree with you any more strongly here. You DO realize there were two TD passes thrown to TE’s yesterday right? One was called back.

Our garbage game plan netted us 400+ yards and 23 points against the #3 ranked team in FCS. Do you really expect our guys to dominate the #3 at their own house? They have really good players too and those good players played very well and very hard yesterday.

Our defense played fine. They held the Jacks to one touchdown in multiple trips to the red zone. Code Green came up with the plays when plays were needed.

Bison Football notched a W against the only team in the division that is truly capable of making it an L and they beat the spread in the process. No Bison players were injured in the game.

Take a deep breath and calm down.

If the Jacks couldn’t beat this Bison Football team in their own stadium I truly have no idea who is going to do so unless Team Injury comes to play.

Gully
10-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Sorry if I missed this....where is Kobe?

23Bison
10-27-2019, 08:05 PM
This is all true. Bison win, Klieman wins and now Carson wins. Good weekend with us 8-0. Go Bison!!!

56BISON73
10-27-2019, 08:08 PM

Well said!

56BISON73
10-27-2019, 08:22 PM

We seem to do better running up the gut when Trey is under center as opposed to the gun. IMO

NorthernBison
10-27-2019, 08:24 PM
They have enough speed. With a little more experience, Lance is throwing those balls deeper and receivers are catching in stride.

Not enough to separate from the guys covering them yesterday. Maybe the Jacks have unreal speed. It’s possible.

PERFECT throws would have been very difficult to complete. Not impossible but damn tough.

Bison 4 Life
10-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Not enough to separate from the guys covering them yesterday. Maybe the Jacks have unreal speed. It’s possible.

PERFECT throws would have been very difficult to complete. Not impossible but damn tough.

Speed doesn't always create separation. Good route running does.

56BISON73
10-27-2019, 08:34 PM
I'm not against going for 2 at the right times but I've never understood taking the percentage of success and extrapolating it out thinking that 1.2 points vs 1 point means you should go for it every time.

You don't get enough tries in many games for the abarages to even out. On a single game basis the avergaes have very little to do with it I'm my opinion.

Taking into account score differential at the time does make sense to me.

All that said on the failed 2 pt I just don't get why you wouldn't force them to prove they can get 2. Kick the ball make them score And prove they can get 2. Instead we chose to make ourselves prove we could get 2. The conversion rate is so low for 2 pt conversions why not pass that low chance on to your opponent?

I get it, IF you convert you're way better off. That is a big enough if that for me you don't do it.

Bingo!!!!!!!

Christopher Moen
10-27-2019, 08:51 PM
Sorry if I missed this....where is Kobe?

With Dmitri Williams back, Kobe and Saybein were limited to the sideline. One the consequences of having a team loaded with weapons.

With that said, the Bison put up 330 yards on the ground against a team that was built to stop them.

noryan34
10-27-2019, 09:44 PM

Agree route running/concepts more important that pure speed. I dont see the wide receiver speed as a problem at all. While it is true they wont always be the fastest players on the fields they are plenty fast to beat defensive backs deep. I remember at least 3 throws that with better accuracy woulda resulted in TDs

GreenfieldBison
10-27-2019, 10:33 PM
We seem to do better running up the gut when Trey is under center as opposed to the gun. IMO

Do you think that is a timing thing? When under center the Rams get a gap open and the next level can’t get lateral fast enough to close it off?

GreenfieldBison
10-27-2019, 10:37 PM
Agree route running/concepts more important that pure speed. I dont see the wide receiver speed as a problem at all. While it is true they wont always be the fastest players on the fields they are plenty fast to beat defensive backs deep. I remember at least 3 throws that with better accuracy woulda resulted in TDs

There was also a sun angle issue yesterday. When going south -> north the receivers were having to look back into the sun, especially if they were running down the Bison sideline in the second half. There was at least one Trey to Phoenix throw down that very sideline in the fourth that might well have been a completion in a dome. Ball was there though a tad high. Phoenix might have had just a split second delay locating the ball when he turned back to look for it.

Christopher Moen
10-28-2019, 12:00 AM
There was also a sun angle issue yesterday. When going south -> north the receivers were having to look back into the sun, especially if they were running down the Bison sideline in the second half. There was at least one Trey to Phoenix throw down that very sideline in the fourth that might well have been a completion in a dome. Ball was there though a tad high. Phoenix might have had just a split second delay locating the ball when he turned back to look for it.

I believe that would have been a TD if it weren't for the Sun in the eyes. If I remember correctly, there were a few passes late in the game affected by sunlight and I was questioning why they were throwing in this direction as opposed to the shade side of the field.

tjbison
10-28-2019, 12:34 AM
just rewatched the game, wow the refs were terrible

Professor Chaos
10-28-2019, 12:39 AM
There, fixed it for you. The receiver was wide open with TD written all over it. Someone either missed a block or else the SDSU defensive plalyer made an exceptional play. Problem was not the call, but the execution.
Agreed, I had just commenting before that play to my buddy that they were play calling like they had a 2 TD lead with all the safe run calls on 1st and 2nd down and the game was tied. I actually liked going a bit unorthodox there but the problem with unorthodox is if it doesn't work you look like a complete dunce as a coach and play caller. Like you said, better execution or if the SDSU LB is a step slower to read that it's at least a long gain and at best a TD.

But you know what else is unorthodox? Going for it on 4th and a foot from your own 30 with less than 3 minutes to go in a tie game. Coaching decisions may have been shaky at times during that game but they redeemed themselves. We always say it's a good think when the team doesn't play their best but still wins. It goes the same for coaches. Roehl, Braun, and Entz will all learn from their mistakes this game and get better.

Professor Chaos
10-28-2019, 12:42 AM

Do you think that is a timing thing? When under center the Rams get a gap open and the next level can’t get lateral fast enough to close it off?

Agreed. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it but it just seems like the FB and RB can play so much faster when they're in the I formation under center and have some momentum towards the LOS when the RB gets the ball rather than lined up next to the QB in the gun and faster play by the backs puts more pressure on the defense to make their fits.

Like I said that could be an over-simplistic way of looking at things but it makes sense to my simple mind, haha.

56BISON73
10-28-2019, 12:49 AM

When we are in the gun EVERYONE can see the ball while and after its snapped. Plus watch the way they hand it off. They stick it out there for all to see. That in itself drives me crazy..

While under center things happen faster and the D cant see how the play is developing. You can also use more misdirection while under center even though we usually dont use that tool.

NorthernBison
10-28-2019, 12:57 AM

Those yesterday were straight go routes so it was 100% about outrunning the corners. Happened 2-3 times.

I believe I saw the same vs Davis. Speedy secondary?

HerdBot
10-28-2019, 02:45 AM
Agreed. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it but it just seems like the FB and RB can play so much faster when they're in the I formation under center and have some momentum towards the LOS when the RB gets the ball rather than lined up next to the QB in the gun and faster play by the backs puts more pressure on the defense to make their fits.

Like I said that could be an over-simplistic way of looking at things but it makes sense to my simple mind, haha.

I think the handoff freezes the linebacker and safeties for a second. Its harder to see with the QB getting low and they gotta prepare for the bootleg and the fullback. Gotta respect the old school play action.

In shotgun, the defense can see the exchange easier

dewey
10-28-2019, 03:57 AM
But going for it on 4th and 1 might be my favorite call ever... our defense was playing on their heels.

Also, I'm pretty sure NDSU just reached in SDSU's chest cavity and ripped out their still beating heart.

I 100% agree. I was really concerned our defense could make a stop. We seemed to struggle and not play assignment football (from my limited football knowledge).

I just watched the coaches show. Entz said the DE missed his assignment on that QB TD run. Should have been buried for a big loss.

Dewey

G_Funky
10-28-2019, 12:37 PM
What bothers me the most I think about this game was the penalty that took away a TD and the penalty that backed us up from their 4 yard line. They took two possible TDs off of the scoreboard.

This 100%

With all the bitching about play calling, defensive game plan, etc etc...we really could have busted this thing open EARLY. Could you imagine how the game could have gone had we been up 17-6 at half and then 30-6 in the 3rd qtr? When they had their 3rd string qb in? It really should have been a bludgeoning.

Professor Chaos
10-28-2019, 01:11 PM
This 100%

With all the bitching about play calling, defensive game plan, etc etc...we really could have busted this thing open EARLY. Could you imagine how the game could have gone had we been up 17-6 at half and then 30-6 in the 3rd qtr? When they had their 3rd string qb in? It really should have been a bludgeoning.
Same story the last couple weeks for the offense. Lack of focus/execution prevents them from putting up points. You look at the overall numbers they did quite well outside of total passing. 332 yards rushing at 7.5 ypc (even take away the 2 long runs that account for 130 yards of that and they still averaged 5 ypc). 8-15 on 3rd and 4th down. Won the turnover battle... won TOP. Just like last week you look at the box score and expect a final score with a bigger margin than it was. The good news is it's little things that need to be cleaned up to get back to the offensive output they had against Illinois St and UNI but the bad news is this is 2 straight games of these little mistakes adding up to cost them points. Hope to see them back on track next Saturday.

MankatoBison
10-28-2019, 01:23 PM
I'm not a coulda-should-woulda kind of guy, but I am not concerned about the playcalling whatsoever. there would be entire threads about how gutsy and incredible the the 2pt conversion was if we had gotten it, and conversely there would be multiple threads saying how dumb the 4th and inches was if we had gotten stuffed.

There were MASSIVE execution errors. Tons of penalties on our end that were legitimate. Trey missed 1 maybe two, OPEN receivers for would be touchdowns. The refs missed 3-4 Blasphemous holding penalties that would have stalled Jack Drives (this is not the reason the game was close- its just true) Refs totally missed tuska's strip sack (again didnt change the outcome at all but still). Missed field goal, Touchdown taken off the board for a correctly called Offensive PI etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

We play that game tomorrow with Gibbs in, we win by 3TDs. Not discounting SDSU- in fact, I think they are elite. But they played out of their minds and we (as someone aptly put it) "Emptied the entire clip into our feet", and we still came out with a victory. Not at all unlike the Davis game, actually

Kick About Bison said this was just like last year's game. 100% true.

Give it up to the Jacks- they played a HELL OF A GAME. the Fans absolutely brought it. I wasnt at KState, Iowa, or Iowas State, but this was the best away game atmosphere I had been to, including montana, and its not even close. holy Sh*t that was fun

bisonp
10-28-2019, 01:27 PM
Give it up to the Jacks- they played a HELL OF A GAME. the Fans absolutely brought it. I wasnt at KState, Iowa, or Iowas State, but this was the best away game atmosphere I had been to, including montana, and its not even close. holy Sh*t that was fun

Looked fun on TV. The camera was shaking at times.

THEsocalledfan
10-28-2019, 01:29 PM

Well said Mankato. Seriously, that could was better than the dome crowd for Homecoming. Hell, their students were there until the end. What a great time!

GreenfieldBison
10-28-2019, 01:32 PM
I believe that would have been a TD if it weren't for the Sun in the eyes. If I remember correctly, there were a few passes late in the game affected by sunlight and I was questioning why they were throwing in this direction as opposed to the shade side of the field.

Yeah that could be a rookie play caller gaffe right there. OTOH it could just be that is the corner they thought they could beat for the completion.

THEsocalledfan
10-28-2019, 01:32 PM
While Trey may have comparable or better arm strength than Stick, I don’t think he spins it as well, thus the inaccuracies in somewhat less than ideal/windy conditions. No question he doesn’t spin it nearly as well as Wentz.

Still young though.....I think that can still be learned. I'm with other who were disappointed we did not trust Trey more throwing the ball. We will need to do that to win when they come to Fargo.

Professor Chaos
10-28-2019, 01:46 PM
SDSU had a great crowd and made it a fantastic atmosphere all the way up until their last offensive drive stalled out. That said Montana is still the gold standard for me when it comes to atmosphere in road FCS games I've been to.

HandoEX
10-28-2019, 01:54 PM
The 4th down run by Cofield reminded me of the game in Brookings in 2007 when their RB busted a long TD run on 4th and short to win the game. Think his name was Konig. Feels much better to be on the right side of this one!

MrSnuffleupagus
10-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Man there was sure a lot of shit talking by SDSU fans when me and my SO were walking into the stadium on Saturday.

The crazy part is how no one said a word to us on the way out. Odd.

G_Funky
10-28-2019, 02:17 PM
As much as folks talk about getting the TEs more involved, Jimmy Kepouros HAS to be a bigger part of the gameplan. The kid is a match up nightmare, always seems to get open, is savvy in the open field, and catches EVERYTHING. May not be as fast as Ryan Smith, but he is certainly similar. He needs more touches.

23Bison
10-28-2019, 02:33 PM
As much as folks talk about getting the TEs more involved, Jimmy Kepouros HAS to be a bigger part of the gameplan. The kid is a match up nightmare, always seems to get open, is savvy in the open field, and catches EVERYTHING. May not be as fast as Ryan Smith, but he is certainly similar. He needs more touches.
I think once Jimmy Kepouros uses two eye blacks he’ll be on fire. Until then he’s just a good receiver.

tony
10-28-2019, 02:43 PM
I think once Jimmy Kepouros uses two eye blacks he’ll on fire. Until then he’s just a good receiver.

I see your two eye blacks and raise you a Margaret-McPoyle-style unibrowing. Unstoppable.

tolnabison
10-28-2019, 02:43 PM
I think Malstrom not playing affected our game plan. Didn't see much "I" formation at all in the first half. Funny the game winning play was out of the "I" formation. Also after the game, we stopped at Herd and Horns. A former O-Lineman was our server, he said that A-Gap power is almost useless to run against SDSU and that they are one of the only teams that knows how the fits to stop it. Typically they would go to C-Gap power when he played. This makes me think that not having our starting fullback changed the game plan.

MankatoBison
10-28-2019, 02:54 PM
Man there was sure a lot of shit talking by SDSU fans when me and my SO were walking into the stadium on Saturday.

The crazy part is how no one said a word to us on the way out. Odd.

Not doubting you in the slightest- but we were treated STRANGELY well by SDSU fans virtually all day. The fans around us were ridiculously polite (to an annoying extent).

Obviously a handful of students would yell at us or do a horns down or something lol but thats to be expected. I was impressed by their passion, the overall knowledge of the fans around us, and how hospitable they were before the game, and even after. props to them!

GreenfieldBison
10-28-2019, 02:57 PM
One of the best things about this day was getting to see a big smile on Adam Cofield’s face.

SDbison
10-28-2019, 02:57 PM
I think Malstrom not playing affected our game plan. Didn't see much "I" formation at all in the first half. Funny the game winning play was out of the "I" formation. Also after the game, we stopped at Herd and Horns. A former O-Lineman was our server, he said that A-Gap power is almost useless to run against SDSU and that they are one of the only teams that knows how the fits to stop it. Typically they would go to C-Gap power when he played. This makes me think that not having our starting fullback changed the game plan. Why didn't Malstrom play? I did not hear he was out before the game.

THEsocalledfan
10-28-2019, 03:13 PM
Couple general stories to share:

1. At Gameday, early on in the show, a bunch of SDSU students, clearly on the sauce, started chanting "F$ck the Bison". My buddy turned around and said, hey guys keep it classy. One student started arguing with him, and he reminded them they are on national television......they then were fine to be around.
2. My yard sign was stolen from my lawn this week in Sioux Falls.
3. My grill was stolen during the game.
4. The game itself was out of this world for quality and atmosphere. Better than the Montana game (I was at that, too), but maybe because I was in a heavy pro NDSU section......

All in all, worth it, but still mad about the sign and grill.

T-Funk
10-28-2019, 03:28 PM
Why didn't Malstrom play? I did not hear he was out before the game.

He hasn't played the past two games. Knee injury I believe.

KNOW IT ALL
10-28-2019, 03:31 PM
I'm not to sure the Bison win this game if SDSU plays the game with their #1 QB. Obviously the 8-0 Bison are a very solid team. Not in the same class with any of the recent former Natty teams though. Our D-line is excellent off the edges, soft in the middle (too light) our linebackers are a real week spot, COX is NFL but teams run away from him and the other two are REALLY Soft, the weakest part of the Defense for sure. D-backs real solid. The defense has 8 defensive ends and no real interior linemen aka Short, stout, quick and true stoppers. I would run right at Tusca because you arent going to out run him. While Cox makes so many plays opposite field running players down as well. As for coaching, This team still does not have an offensive identity, it's all over the board. This team has a lot of growing to do over the next couple years as does the HC and Staff. Very talented though.

EC8CH
10-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Couple general stories to share:

1. At Gameday, early on in the show, a bunch of SDSU students, clearly on the sauce, started chanting "F$ck the Bison". My buddy turned around and said, hey guys keep it classy. One student started arguing with him, and he reminded them they are on national television......they then were fine to be around.
2. My yard sign was stolen from my lawn this week in Sioux Falls.
3. My grill was stolen during the game.
4. The game itself was out of this world for quality and atmosphere. Better than the Montana game (I was at that, too), but maybe because I was in a heavy pro NDSU section......

All in all, worth it, but still mad about the sign and grill.

I'd disagree about atmosphere being better is Brookings than Missoula. Unless you mean the level of Bison fan support, but bunny fans are no where near Grizz fans. WaGriz got holy shit loud and I didn't hear anything like that last weekend.

EC8CH
10-28-2019, 03:47 PM
He hasn't played the past two games. Knee injury I believe.

Thought it was a hammy.

GreenfieldBison
10-28-2019, 03:48 PM
I'd disagree about atmosphere being better is Brookings than Missoula. Unless you mean the level of Bison fan support, but bunny fans are no where near Grizz fans. WaGriz got holy shit loud and I didn't hear anything like that last weekend.

Yeah but they used 6,000 more people. /purple

Mr Pep Band
10-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Passing game needs some work. Looking at the box score, no NDSU player had more than ONE reception.

imabison
10-28-2019, 04:17 PM
Passing game needs some work. Looking at the box score, no NDSU player had more than ONE reception.

When you can rush for was it 32? yards in a game do you need more than 1 reception per receiver in the game...

wagsabison
10-28-2019, 04:29 PM
I think Malstrom not playing affected our game plan. Didn't see much "I" formation at all in the first half. Funny the game winning play was out of the "I" formation. Also after the game, we stopped at Herd and Horns. A former O-Lineman was our server, he said that A-Gap power is almost useless to run against SDSU and that they are one of the only teams that knows how the fits to stop it. Typically they would go to C-Gap power when he played. This makes me think that not having our starting fullback changed the game plan.

Entz made the comment on the coaches show that they planned to run Trey quite a bit. Still seems like we over did that a little end never really got the rb’s that involved. We had the rushing yards but it didn’t feel like we were that productive. Penalties really had an impact.