PDA

View Full Version : 2020 and 2021 Recruiting

Big Bird
10-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Kellyn March and Ryan Henningson already committed as part of the 2020 recruiting class, but it has been pretty quiet outside of that.

Most of the top Minnesota kids have already committed elsewhere, but I'd imagine we'll see NDSU pick up a few of the top uncommitted guys. Bad news is MN and ND don't have a ton of available top recruits the next two years.

Isaiah Thompson is a great athlete out of DL, who tore his ACL during football. I've heard he wants to do both football and Wrestling in college, but that rarely happens, especially outside of D3. To be fair, Fresno State RB/197/HWT Josh Hokit was an All American last year and has been the short yardage back for their football team the past couple years. Assuming a full recovery, Thompson has the athleticism to wrestle at the D1 level. He is a 2 time state champ in wrestling.

Looking at 2021 and beyond, NDSU had an in house visit with the #HWT recruit, Hayden Coppas (Illinois), before he committed to Wisconsin. Like to get the next heavyweight in one of the next two classes.

The Tanefeu twins appeared to be on a visit at the last football game too. They haven't been wrestling long but they are two lightweight recruits out of Bismarck who have enormous potential. They've both won national championships and are very sought after (with Wilfried likely the bigger recruit on account of his slightly higher weight and freestyle national title). They were at the big house for a game a couple weeks ago.

harleycowboy
10-24-2019, 04:28 AM
Seems like we should be recruiting better since we lose a lot of wrestlers after this year such as Fogerty, Eaton, Stibral, De la Riva, and Sykora. I think March is a good recruit but Henningson is more questionable. We did recruit a lot of guys last year but did not lose much, Moser, Gamet, Habisch, Ripplinger, Weber and Wokojance are pretty good recruits. However not 1 of these wrestlers are on Flo's top 100 for the 2019 class.

Big Bird
10-27-2019, 04:36 PM
Michael Peterson of Byron (141) has committed to NDSU. He has one state championship and a runner up finish.

Tony Almeida
10-27-2019, 05:01 PM
Kellyn March and Ryan Henningson already committed as part of the 2020 recruiting class, but it has been pretty quiet outside of that.

Most of the top Minnesota kids have already committed elsewhere, but I'd imagine we'll see NDSU pick up a few of the top uncommitted guys. Bad news is MN and ND don't have a ton of available top recruits the next two years.

Isaiah Thompson is a great athlete out of DL, who tore his ACL during football. I've heard he wants to do both football and Wrestling in college, but that rarely happens, especially outside of D3. To be fair, Fresno State RB/197/HWT Josh Hokit was an All American last year and has been the short yardage back for their football team the past couple years. Assuming a full recovery, Thompson has the athleticism to wrestle at the D1 level. He is a 2 time state champ in wrestling.

Looking at 2021 and beyond, NDSU had an in house visit with the #HWT recruit, Hayden Coppas (Illinois), before he committed to Wisconsin. Like to get the next heavyweight in one of the next two classes.

The Tanefeu twins appeared to be on a visit at the last football game too. They haven't been wrestling long but they are two lightweight recruits out of Bismarck who have enormous potential. They've both won national championships and are very sought after (with Wilfried likely the bigger recruit on account of his slightly higher weight and freestyle national title). They were at the big house for a game a couple weeks ago.These two should be the main focus right now IMO. The ceiling for these two is very high considering how new to the sport they are and the immediate success they have had.

Big Bird
11-13-2019, 05:25 AM
Looks like coach Blanc paid a visit to Connor Knopik from Nebraska. He's a class of 2021 recruit and US Cadet Greco World Team member

Big Bird
11-16-2019, 03:07 PM
The Guillotine (MN amateur wrestling source) came out with their pound for pound class rankings.
For the 2020 class:
Mitchell Petersen (Byron, NDSU verbal commit) is #6.
Ryan Henningson (Winona, NDSU signee) is #16.

For the uncommitted 2020 guys:
Tim Stapleton (Waconia) is the highest ranked uncommitted at #7.
Isaiah Thompson (Detroit Lakes) is #8. I'd really like to see him at NDSU. It appears he visited SDSU for football last spring. He is also coming off a torn ACL this past fall.

For 2021, the state of MN has a bunch of high quality recruits:
Derrick Cardinal is #4
Jaxson Rohman is #5
Quayin Short is #8. He would be my #1 target and could be a great get.
Cael Berg is #10, and another guy I'd be thrilled with NDSU getting.
Blake West is #11.

https://theguillotine.com/2019/11/the-guillotine-high-school-pound-for-pound-class-rankings-november-2019/

Big Bird
11-19-2019, 08:39 PM
NDSU signed Gavan Sax out of Missouri today. I have never seen him wrestle but he projects as a 157/165 and is ranked #20 in the country at 152 by InterMat. He hasn't won a state title but recently won preseason nationals over some big names. He knocked off Maxx Mayfield for the title, who is committed to Northwestern and is currently ranked #9 in the country at 152.

I still haven't seen anything official from NDSU on Peterson signing, but I was told he did indeed sign.

With only signing Sax, Peterson, Henningson, and March, and graduating Stibral, Fogarty, Sykora, De La Riva, and Eaton, I would expect us to be active on the transfer portal.

NDSU had Caleb Coyle in for a visit recently. Lightweight recruit out of Nebraska who has been making the rounds at the B12 schools.

PaBizon
01-30-2020, 09:59 PM
Maybe it’s been covered on here and I missed it but why is Corey Gamet no longer on the roster?

RadioBison
01-30-2020, 11:23 PM
Maybe it’s been covered on here and I missed it but why is Corey Gamet no longer on the roster?

This is the first I heard about it. That's too bad. The guys that leave our program early don't usually go on to more wrestling success, so this isn't a good sign. I didn't see Otomo on the roster either.

Big Bird
02-14-2020, 02:03 AM
Carlos Negrete Jr, of national powerhouse Buchanon HS in California, commits to NDSU. He's a HS junior (class of 2021) wrestling at 120 for one of the top programs in the country.

He's Intermat's #26 junior in the country, #32 by TOM, and #58 by Flo and projects as a 125 pounder. This is a really good, high level get for NDSU.

Seems to have a clear path to be the 125 of the future for after Gamet left

PaBizon
02-22-2020, 03:01 AM
Gavin Sax is in the MO state semifinals after a 28 second fall and a 7-0 decision in his two matches

IzzyFlexion
02-22-2020, 03:05 PM
Those Tanefeu twins from Bismarck HS. (Christian and Wilfried)

What's the scoop on them? Only juniors. Just endless bundles of energy!

They simply manhandled two guys from Minot to win their matches easily in the state duel meet.

PaBizon
02-22-2020, 07:55 PM
Gavin Sax is in the MO state semifinals after a 28 second fall and a 7-0 decision in his two matches

Sax with a 2-0 victory makes it to the state Championship Match

Big Bird
02-22-2020, 09:17 PM
Those Tanefeu twins from Bismarck HS. (Christian and Wilfried)

What's the scoop on them? Only juniors. Just endless bundles of energy!

They simply manhandled two guys from Minot to win their matches easily in the state duel meet.

They're great and still super raw. Only been wrestling a couple years and they each have a national championship to their credit.

NDSU did just get a commitment from an even higher ranked lightweight in the same class, so IDK where NDSU stands with them.

They were on an official visit at one of the home football games, but were also at the big house and other big time schools for visits.

PaBizon
02-23-2020, 02:13 PM
Sax wins the Missouri Class 4 152 pound championship. Congrats Gavin!!

RadioBison
02-23-2020, 11:45 PM
Kellyn March pinned his way through his region tournament up at 138. Three matches in a total of 2:40. Intermat has him ranked #10, but that was down at 132.

Tony Almeida
02-24-2020, 01:34 AM
They're great and still super raw. Only been wrestling a couple years and they each have a national championship to their credit.

NDSU did just get a commitment from an even higher ranked lightweight in the same class, so IDK where NDSU stands with them.

They were on an official visit at one of the home football games, but were also at the big house and other big time schools for visits.This is the reason why I want them at NDSU badly. They aren't even close to peaking yet.

Big Bird
02-27-2020, 12:16 AM
Negrete is ranked #5 at 120 and starts the California state tournament tomorrow.
March is ranked #16 at 138, after having been #10 at 132.
Sax is now ranked #18 at 152, improving from #20.
Henningson is seeded 2nd at 120 in MN AAA.
Petersen is the top seed at 132 in MN AA.

2021 targets:
Connor Knopick is #17 at 132, after beating previous #5 Burks for a state title.
Caleb Coyle won a Nebraska state title last week.
The Tanefeu twins won titles in ND last week.

Guys I'm hoping for:
2021 Quayin Short, 2nd seed at 182 in MN AA
2020 Isaiah Thompson, torn ACL Detroit Lakes

PaBizon
02-27-2020, 01:28 AM
Negrete is ranked #5 at 120 and starts the California state tournament tomorrow.
March is ranked #16 at 138, after having been #10 at 132.
Sax is now ranked #18 at 152, improving from #20.
Henningson is seeded 2nd at 120 in MN AAA.
Petersen is the top seed at 132 in MN AA.

2021 targets:
Connor Knopick is #17 at 132, after beating previous #5 Burks for a state title.
Caleb Coyle won a Nebraska state title last week.
The Tanefeu twins won titles in ND last week.

Guys I'm hoping for:
2021 Quayin Short, 2nd seed at 182 in MN AA
2020 Isaiah Thompson, torn ACL Detroit Lakes

They need a back up heavy weight ASAP

PaBizon
02-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Mitchel Petersen and Ryan Henningson both won by fall in their first round match ups

PaBizon
02-28-2020, 04:51 PM
Carlos Negrete Jr has reached the Quarterfinals of the Calif state Tournament at 120 pounds

PaBizon
02-28-2020, 10:15 PM
Petersen with an 8-2 decision in his second round match

PaBizon
02-28-2020, 11:01 PM
Henningson with a TF to win his second match

RadioBison
02-28-2020, 11:49 PM
Negrete dropped a close match in the quarters. He has a tough path to get to the third place match.

Big Bird
02-29-2020, 04:31 PM
Petersen and Henningson both advance to their MN state final matches later today, where they will both be underdogs. Trackwrestling lets you watch the matches for free live.

Henningson and Paxton Creese should be a good one. Creese is a SCSU signee, but is a borderline top 100 recruit with great national level results. Creese is a national Greco champ and a 2 time Freestyle AA. Creese won the state title last year by beating Henningson 6-5 by securing a takedown in the final 30 seconds.

Petersen is the #1 seed and will have Charlie Pickell. Pickell has been in and out of top 100 rankings and has been on fire so far. I haven't been very impressed with Petersen thus far, but a win here would be impressive.

March is in the SD state finals later today too.

Negrete injury defaulted out and is done.

harleycowboy
02-29-2020, 10:00 PM
Petersen has a little brother I assume, who is also in the finals at 120. He looks like he will be better than his brother and is a sophomore.

harleycowboy
02-29-2020, 10:47 PM
March won in the finals 6 to 3 to win state in SD. Henningson beat Crease 6 to 4 to win State.

Big Bird
03-01-2020, 12:05 AM
Henningson avenges his loss in last year's state title match and beats Creese 6-4. Really good match and I was really impressed with him the last two days.

He has good length, a solid single leg, and was really physical and solid on top.

He could be a pretty decent under the radar get for NDSU.

harleycowboy
03-01-2020, 12:35 AM
Petersen got beat 7 to 3 so took 2nd.

Big Bird
03-01-2020, 01:57 AM
Petersen got beat 7 to 3 so took 2nd.

Yeah, cradled at the end of the first for 4 points, and couldn't finish anything on Pickell. Someone will be getting a good one with Pickell. I could see him at UNI.

NDSU should have a full court press on Simley junior Quayin Short.

Sell him on how you turned another medium profile, similar weight Simley recruit into an AA (Julson). The Gophers are the first team mentioned with him, but their top 2020 commit is at the same weight and has been a beast. If Short profiles as a 197, he may fit MN if they project Tabor as Gable's replacement.

Even if Short outgrows 184 and settles at 197, NDSU could always try to bulk Nelson up to a 230-240 pound HWT and roll with Short at 197. When Short is a rFr, Nelson will be a rSo and Metz will be gone.

I'm super high on the Tanefeu's, but with Negrete coming in 2021 and Henningson in 2020, they'd be a luxury and a bit redundant. Short would be my #1 target, as he would fill a massive need and I project him as an All American.

PaBizon
03-01-2020, 02:25 AM
Yeah, cradled at the end of the first for 4 points, and couldn't finish anything on Pickell. Someone will be getting a good one with Pickell. I could see him at UNI.

NDSU should have a full court press on Simley junior Quayin Short.

Sell him on how you turned another medium profile, similar weight Simley recruit into an AA (Julson). The Gophers are the first team mentioned with him, but their top 2020 commit is at the same weight and has been a beast. If Short profiles as a 197, he may fit MN if they project Tabor as Gable's replacement.

Even if Short outgrows 184 and settles at 197, NDSU could always try to bulk Nelson up to a 230-240 pound HWT and roll with Short at 197. When Short is a rFr, Nelson will be a rSo and Metz will be gone.

I'm super high on the Tanefeu's, but with Negrete coming in 2021 and Henningson in 2020, they'd be a luxury and a bit redundant. Short would be my #1 target, as he would fill a massive need and I project him as an All American.

Short is a legacy Wrestler at Minnesota (I believe four Shorts have wrestled for the Gophers). I don’t see him going anywhere else. Shorts uncle did the AA matches on Track Wrestling and said that Quayin has the frame to add the weight needed to wrestle 197. He also said Tabor was wrestling at 202 pounds, his dad is huge and they expect him to add 25-30 pounds as a HWT at Minnesota.

Christopher Moen
03-01-2020, 03:17 AM
Short is a legacy Wrestler at Minnesota (I believe four Shorts have wrestled for the Gophers). I don’t see him going anywhere else. Shorts uncle did the AA matches on Track Wrestling and said that Quayin has the frame to add the weight needed to wrestle 197. He also said Tabor was wrestling at 202 pounds, his dad is huge and they expect him to add 25-30 pounds as a HWT at Minnesota.

The Short family has been a pretty great wrestling family for the State of Minnesota, and I'm pretty sure any type of offer from the Gophers will guarantee he goes there.

PaBizon
03-02-2020, 04:14 PM

Ty Moser 197 freshman from Perham, Mn is no longer on the roster either.

larson311
03-04-2020, 08:39 PM
Makes me think Nelson is staying 197

PaBizon
03-04-2020, 09:10 PM
Makes me think Nelson is staying 197

Earliest he would move up would be his Jr year unless there was an injury to Metz

larson311
03-04-2020, 11:35 PM
True

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Bird
03-26-2020, 02:51 PM
A poster on the Guillotine said NDSU received a commitment from Dominik Vacura. Vacura is a MN state champ at 220 from Greenbush and is a class of 2021 HWT prospect.

He was ranked very high in multiple national rankings earlier in the year, but has dropped out of the top 100 lists.

If true, I'm happy with the signing. If they have the national tournaments in Fargo this summer, he'll be one to watch and could see his stock rise quite a bit.

I don't know how much more room he has to add muscle, but he'll be an athletic option at HWT after Metz graduates.

Christopher Moen
03-26-2020, 03:23 PM
A poster on the Guillotine said NDSU received a commitment from Dominik Vacura. Vacura is a MN state champ at 220 from Greenbush and is a class of 2021 HWT prospect.

He was ranked very high in multiple national rankings earlier in the year, but has dropped out of the top 100 lists.

If true, I'm happy with the signing. If they have the national tournaments in Fargo this summer, he'll be one to watch and could see his stock rise quite a bit.

I don't know how much more room he has to add muscle, but he'll be an athletic option at HWT after Metz graduates.

Gotta love kids from Greenbush! One of my best friends and former teammate, Wayne Mooney (along with his younger brother, Gabe), is from there. Small community, but very hard working individuals.

Big Bird
04-05-2020, 01:01 AM
NDSU apparently offered Oklahoma HS HWT Whit Azlin. Looks like his only other D1 offer was Presbyterian, with Campbell showing interest prior to the coaching change at least. Interestingly, MSU-Moorhead offered him last week too. Appears to have a lot more non-D1 offers than D1, but Oklahoma HWTs are right up Coach Marsden's alley. If anyone knows who is who among them, it's him.

larson311
04-08-2020, 06:40 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200408/4593ff4ec2bc21dd222ef695b604c570.jpg

Christopher Moen
04-08-2020, 10:58 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200408/4593ff4ec2bc21dd222ef695b604c570.jpg

Interesting recruit name-wise in that there is a wrestler also named Luke Rasmussen who is from Brookings, SD and appears to be a huge Jackrabbit fan. Possible future Bison-Jackrabbit dual meets where there are two Luke Rasmussens participating and maybe against each other.

Big Bird
04-08-2020, 11:10 PM
He's ranked #20 at 170 by Intermat. I've never seen him wrestle, but it's always nice to get a ranked recruit this late in the recruiting season.

Big Bird
04-14-2020, 08:03 PM
Trevor Janssen from Blackduck Cass Lake Bena has committed to NDSU as part of the 2020 class. He was an undefeated state champ at 126 this year.

Whit Azlin said he will announce his commitment today, but hasn't yet. He's a 2020 HWT state champ from Oklahoma. NDSU is his highest profile offer.

Big Bird
04-14-2020, 08:14 PM
NDSU was a finalist for California blue chipper Andrew Sparks, before he chose Minnesota. North Carolina, Nebraska, Minnesota, Arizona State, Iowa State, and Iowa were the other finalists.

Those are all heavy hitters and it is refreshing to see NDSU going after high level Cali kids, while getting one (Negrete) and being a finalist for another (Sparks).

larson311
04-14-2020, 11:17 PM
Was an ODU commit

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200414/1b14e130a18900bfd269968d399e9ff8.jpg

Christopher Moen
04-15-2020, 02:14 AM
Was an ODU commit

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200414/1b14e130a18900bfd269968d399e9ff8.jpg

ODU dropping wrestling was a huge surprise. We brought in (or back) Jason Bryant about a week ago to talk about it and he gave a pretty good interview (check out the shirt he's wearing, BTW).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVnvioDAafc

With that said, hopefully this helps out NDSU big time.

Big Bird
04-15-2020, 07:30 AM
Watched a couple of Schaeffer's big matches and he is interesting. Really good length that he uses well from neutral. Not very good on bottom and not all that strong on top against quality competition. Can't teach his length and seems to have good instincts and stamina. I think he's a 149 initially but will grow out of it if he is able to add any muscle.

Whit Azlin committed to Cumberlands, which seems like a more appropriate fit than NDSU. With Vacura being added for 2021, Azlin would've been strictly depth IMO.

Big Bird
04-18-2020, 06:07 PM
NDSU added another to the class of 2020, with Caleb Willmann committing. He made it to the Wisconsin state tourney at 220 but didn't place.

https://twitter.com/Caleb_Willmann/status/1251205283529003010

Big Bird
04-18-2020, 06:16 PM
The Guillotine released their post-season pound for pound rankings for Minnesota high schoolers https://theguillotine.com/2020/04/the-guillotine-high-school-pound-for-pound-class-rankings-april-2020/#more-93473

2020 guys
NDSU signee Ryan Henningson rose from preseason #16 in the 2020 class to #5.
NDSU signee Mitchel Peterson fell from preseason #6 to #7, after losing to the #2 guy in the class in the state finals.
NDSU committ Trevor Janssen rose from preseason #17 to #9.

Dominik Vacura rose from #12 to #11.

Peterson's brother is the #3 guy in the class.

In the 2020 class, here is where the top 12 guys are going:
1- Iowa
2- Uncomitted
3- SDSU
4- UN_ Football
5- NDSU
6- SCSU
7- NDSU
8- Purdue
9- NDSU
10- MN Football
11- MN
12-Iowa State

Big Bird
04-19-2020, 12:03 AM
Now Canon Swanson joins the 2020 class https://twitter.com/CanonSwan/status/1251620379166224385/photo/1

He was #16 on The Guillotine's 2020 rankings.

I watched a couple of Willmann's matches and I'd be surprised if he will be on any scholarship. He has a projectable frame, but didn't look like a D3 guy to me.

Most of these late commits are very likely depth options. The 2020 class will likely come down to what March, Sax, and Henningson can give them.

larson311
05-14-2020, 01:56 PM
Luka Wick has NDSU in his top 5

Big Bird
05-14-2020, 05:09 PM

That would be an awesome get.

NDSU is getting another depth addition to this year's class in Colton Krell of Blooming Prairie https://twitter.com/DoubleHPhotos_/status/1260687410838540289

Big Bird
05-14-2020, 06:03 PM
That would be an awesome get.

NDSU is getting another depth addition to this year's class in Colton Krell of Blooming Prairie https://twitter.com/DoubleHPhotos_/status/1260687410838540289

From the Guillotine's MN P4P Class Rankings, NDSU is bringing in:
#5 Ryan Henningson
#7 Mitchel Petersen
#9 Trevor Janssen
#14 Colton Krell
#16 Canon Swanson

Odds are most won't make an impact in the starting lineup, but I'll always prefer the depth of the local schools to be filled by MN guys.

Christopher Moen
05-14-2020, 06:45 PM

I know his mother, Milena, fairly well from when she use to work for Titan Mercury. He has two brothers (twins Evan and Zander) that wrestle (Zander retired last year) for the Badgers.

Big Bird
05-17-2020, 01:19 PM
Another big recruit has NDSU as a finalist.

Connor Knopick out of Nebraska released the following 9 finalists:
Iowa State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Navy, Air Force, Ohio State, NDSU, Wyoming, and Northern Colorado.

He's projects as a 133/141, is ranked #54 (TOM & Intermat)/#60 (Flo)/#29 (Willie) in the class of 2021, and is a former Cadet greco world teamer.

He beat big time OK State recruit Jackason Burks for his state title this year.

He visited NDSU last fall prior and would fill a potential hole at 133.

bruinbison
05-19-2020, 01:17 PM
Not sure if you have this name yet, good football DL also

Chase Smith - Bemidji

https://mobile.twitter.com/chasesm63442788/status/1262552807682371587

Big Bird
05-19-2020, 05:04 PM
Not sure if you have this name yet, good football DL also

Chase Smith - Bemidji

https://mobile.twitter.com/chasesm63442788/status/1262552807682371587

Nice, I hadn't seen that one. 3rd in MN AAA is really good. I imagine he will likely be the backup HWT next year and have better immediate results than Caleb Willman.

NDSU 2021 verbal Dominik Vacura beat him by major decision last time they wrestled.

Big Bird
06-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Another big recruit has NDSU as a finalist.

Connor Knopick out of Nebraska released the following 9 finalists:
Iowa State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Navy, Air Force, Ohio State, NDSU, Wyoming, and Northern Colorado.

He's projects as a 133/141, is ranked #54 (TOM & Intermat)/#60 (Flo)/#29 (Willie) in the class of 2021, and is a former Cadet greco world teamer.

He beat big time OK State recruit Jackason Burks for his state title this year.

He visited NDSU last fall prior and would fill a potential hole at 133.

Knopick to Iowa State...Bummer
https://twitter.com/ConorKnopick/status/1270173818913505281

Big Bird
06-17-2020, 04:21 PM
NDSU added another for the 2020 class, bringing in Zach Watts of California power Clovis North.

He took 5th in California's single class state tournament at 138 and projects for more depth at 141.

Hopefully the next commit is another Californian...specifically Luka Wick in the 2021 class.

https://twitter.com/calUSAwrestling/status/1273089627587371009/photo/1

Big Bird
06-18-2020, 12:49 AM
NDSU has added Clay Radenz from Bismarck to the 2021 class. 2 time ND class A champ and 2 time runner up

Big Bird
07-09-2020, 12:06 AM
A little late, but NDSU added Jimmy Ruston out of Illinois to the 2020 class. Another depth addition

https://twitter.com/LT_Wrestling/status/1250578863652065280

IowaBison
07-20-2020, 04:05 PM
We landed a good recruit in the class of 2021 it appears from Osage Iowa. Spencer Mooberry.

https://www.trackwrestling.com/membership/ViewProfile.jsp?twId=1251477009

Big Bird
07-21-2020, 03:34 AM
We landed a good recruit in the class of 2021 it appears from Osage Iowa. Spencer Mooberry.

https://www.trackwrestling.com/membership/ViewProfile.jsp?twId=1251477009

Yeah, really solid kid who could be a future 197 or HWT. If you have a Rokfin subscription, IaWrestle does a really nice write up on him and his decision https://www.rokfin.com/article/1478

They note he had official visits to Wisconsin and Campbell, and interest from SDSU, Army, Wyoming, Oregon State, and Northern Illinois.

Big Bird
07-21-2020, 03:38 AM
So far for the 2021 class, we have Carlos Negrete, Clay Radenz, Dominik Vacura, and Spencer Mooberry.

Others to monitor with NDSU showing varying levels of interest (all rankings are via Rokfin, unless other wise noted):

2021 Targets:
#26 Luka Wick – 157 – San Marino, CA
#89 Cael Berg – 149 – Simley, MN
#138 Korbin Shepherd – 141 – Blue Springs, MO
UR Christian Tanefeu – 125 – Bismarck, ND
UR Wilfried Tanefeu – 125 – Bismarck, ND
UR Cayden Dotson – 125 – Blue Springs, MO
UR Caleb Coyle – 125 – Millard South, NE
UR Max Sailor – 133 – Spearfish, SD
UR Cael Rahnavardi – 149 – Don Bosco, IA
UR Caden Dewall – 184 – Becker MN
UR Jesse Cassatt – 197 – Webb City, MO
UR Lathan Duda – 197 – Broken Bow, NE

2022 Targets:

#27 Brady Hankin – 133 – Woodland Park, CO
#54 Chase DeBlaere – 141 – Simley, MN
#67 CJ Hamblin – 157 – Seton Catholic, WA
#70 Robert Avila – 133 – Lisbon, IA
#84 Hunter Garvin – 149 – Iowa City, IA
#87 James Rowley – 165 – Crescent Valley, OR
#98 Gavin Drexler – 141 – Stratford, WI
#140 Maxwell Petersen – 133 – Byron, MN
UR Keith Smith – 125 – Lincoln East, NE (#131 TOM)
UR Payton Handevidt – 157 – JCC, MN

Recruits I like but I’m unsure of NDSU’s interest in:

2021-
#41 Ramon Ramos – 133 – Casteel, AZ
#35 Carson Manville – 165 – Shakopee, MN
#109 Quayin Short – 184 – Simley, MN
#72 Reid Ballantyne – 133 – Stillwater, MN
#82 Blake West – 125 – Shakopee, MN
UR Jaxson Rohman – 133 – Martin County West, MN
UR Tyson Meyer – 174 – Minnewaska, MN

2022-
#90 Hunter Lyden – 165 – Stillwater, MN
#113 Jore Volk – 125 – Lakeville, MN
#122 Landen Johnson – 165 – Owatonna, MN
#120 Christian Noble – 125 – Big Lake, MN
UR Jaime Rivera Jr – 141 – Tucson, AZ

Big Bird
08-15-2020, 10:17 PM
Previous 2021 target, Lathan Duda out of Nebraska, has verbaled to NDSU. Recently visited NDSU and it led to his verbal.

State Champ who probably profiles as a 197. Joins Dom Vacura and Spencer Mooberry as heavier guys committed in the 21 class.

https://twitter.com/DudaLathan/status/1294438310966898689

Big Bird
08-16-2020, 04:13 AM
Beau Klingensmith out of Iowa is the 2nd to join the 21 class today.

Ranked #24 in the state of Iowa in his class by IaWrestle.

21 class is filling out early and has good depth. If they can get Luka Wick to join, it might be a top 15 class. Korbin Shepherd would be a great add too

Big Bird
08-19-2020, 01:32 AM
2021 Target Caleb Coyle out of Nebraska committed to Oregon State. With Negrete, Henningson, and Klingensmith committed down low, he became somewhat redundant

IowaBison
08-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Beau Klingensmith out of Iowa is the 2nd to join the 21 class today.

Ranked #24 in the state of Iowa in his class by IaWrestle.

21 class is filling out early and has good depth. If they can get Luka Wick to join, it might be a top 15 class. Korbin Shepherd would be a great add too

Beau has been around us quite a bit growing up. He is a tough kid with a great family and will be a great Bison. Excited to see Beau coming to Fargo. Glad him and Mac will have a year together. Looks like we are getting more traction in my neck of the woods of Iowa and Nebraska. Glad to see more of them coming and looking at NDSU.

bruinbison
08-27-2020, 10:28 PM
Not sure if this commit has been mentioned -
Looks like a 2021

https://mobile.twitter.com/kobe_lyons/status/1299005569991405568

Kobe Lyons - York Nebraska - 2nd place at state - 170

Big Bird
08-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Nice. He lost in the state finals to the 74th ranked senior, Evan Canoyer, who is committed to Cornell.

Big Bird
08-30-2020, 01:58 PM
There was a new event yesterday, 2020 Minnesota's #1, that showcased a bunch of Minnesota's top 21 and 22 recruits. MN has a couple of great classes coming up and NDSU had a couple targets competing.

2022 NDSU target Payton Handevidt took on 2021 SDSU commit Cael Swensen and had no answers for Swensen’s offense and pace.
2021 125 recruit Blake West looked great in beating Tyler Wells, who is a future D1 star. With Negrete coming in, I doubt he's a possibility for NDSU.
2021 NDSU HWT commit Dominik Vacura lost to 2021 MN HWT recruit Bennett Tabor. Vacura looked great early, hitting a nice headlock that was just off the edge and showing some quick leg attacks. Tabor was in far better shape and that was the big difference. Vacura has all of the tools, just needs to work on refinement. Coming from Northern MN, he likely doesn't have access to extensive D1 talent that should further his development like he will at NDSU.
2022 target, Max Peterson, was incredible. His brother Mitchell will be a true freshman for NDSU this year and NDSU needs to get Max too.
2022 target, Chase DeBlaere, got beat handily by 21 SDSU commit Derrick Cardinal. I'm still impressed with DeBlaere and along with Peterson, are the two main MN guys I want NDSU to get for the 2022 class.
Uncommitted 2021 recruit Quayin Short looked really good in beating Max McEnally. I know he has huge, deep ties to MN, but man he would be a great get for NDSU.
Gavin Layton looked great, but with Vacura and other bigs already in the 21 class, I doubt he's an option.
Hunter Lyden and Landen Johnson looked solid too, although far from mid-season form.

PaBizon
08-30-2020, 09:20 PM
Updated roster is now available. Looks like Ryan Ripplinger is no longer with the team

Big Bird
09-06-2020, 11:17 PM
NDSU gets the #66 ranked wrestler in the class of 2021, with Alex Ramirez committing to NDSU.

He's a California state champion and ranked #10 overall at 145 by Rokfin.

Hopefully they can top the 2021 class off with Luka Wick out of California. With #66 Ramirez and #44 Carlos Negrete both already committed, #26 Luka Wick would give them a a third big time California recruit and a possible top 10 class.

https://twitter.com/calUSAwrestling/status/1302744066644295680

Big Bird
09-09-2020, 02:26 PM
2021 Targets, and the top in state wrestlers, Wilfried and Chritian Tanefeu of Bismarck, have committed to Michigan. Both are national champions and have only been wrestling for a handful of years.

The sky is the limit for these two, but they are significantly behind Negrete and a few other top lightweight recruits, IMO. With the right development, they have All American and National Champion potential, they just need the right environment and coaching to coax the next steps forward.

Tony Almeida
09-11-2020, 03:14 AM
Bummer. Oh well, good luck to them, they do have serious potential.

PaBizon
09-16-2020, 07:29 PM
Updated roster is now available. Looks like Ryan Ripplinger is no longer with the team

Correction: Must have been an error leaving him off as Ryan is now on the roster. Good to see.

Big Bird
09-17-2020, 04:25 PM
NCAA recruiting dead period has been extended to Jan 1st. No in person visits allowed, but phone calls and correspondence are still allowed.

Having a large, good class already committed seems pretty important right now. Kudos to the NDSU staff.

Hopefully they can get Luka Wick to join the other two big time California recruits and Korbin Shepherd out of Missouri and lock up a top 5-10 class.

PaBizon
09-24-2020, 12:57 PM
There was a new event yesterday, 2020 Minnesota's #1, that showcased a bunch of Minnesota's top 21 and 22 recruits. MN has a couple of great classes coming up and NDSU had a couple targets competing.

2022 NDSU target Payton Handevidt took on 2021 SDSU commit Cael Swensen and had no answers for Swensen’s offense and pace.
2021 125 recruit Blake West looked great in beating Tyler Wells, who is a future D1 star. With Negrete coming in, I doubt he's a possibility for NDSU.
2021 NDSU HWT commit Dominik Vacura lost to 2021 MN HWT recruit Bennett Tabor. Vacura looked great early, hitting a nice headlock that was just off the edge and showing some quick leg attacks. Tabor was in far better shape and that was the big difference. Vacura has all of the tools, just needs to work on refinement. Coming from Northern MN, he likely doesn't have access to extensive D1 talent that should further his development like he will at NDSU.
2022 target, Max Peterson, was incredible. His brother Mitchell will be a true freshman for NDSU this year and NDSU needs to get Max too.
2022 target, Chase DeBlaere, got beat handily by 21 SDSU commit Derrick Cardinal. I'm still impressed with DeBlaere and along with Peterson, are the two main MN guys I want NDSU to get for the 2022 class.
Uncommitted 2021 recruit Quayin Short looked really good in beating Max McEnally. I know he has huge, deep ties to MN, but man he would be a great get for NDSU
Gavin Layton looked great, but with Vacura and other bigs already in the 21 class, I doubt he's an option.
Hunter Lyden and Landen Johnson looked solid too, although far from mid-season form.

DeBlaere to Oregon St

Big Bird
10-01-2020, 09:11 PM
2021 target Korbin Shepherd has elected to stay home and attend Mizzou. Top 75-150 kid who would've been a good get.

Luka Wick out of CA is the last big time recruit that I'm tracking NDSU in on for 2021. He is likely to announce his choice before Nov 11 without taking official visits. Bright side for NDSU, is he has been on campus before for nationals in the summer.

Cael Berg from Simley also has some top 100 steam and some NDSU interest.

Outside of those guys, Cael Rahnavardi is a kid out of Iowa just outside of most top 150 rankings that is a NDSU target.

There are other lower tiered guys NDSU has interest in, but could be later commits like Max Sailor, Caden DeWall, and Cayden Dotson

larson311
10-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Berg to Harvard

Big Bird
10-08-2020, 02:33 PM
And Cael Rahnavardi to UNI. Not a huge surprise, as it's his hometown team and where he already trains club-wise. NDSU was a finalist, but it always seemed like he was destined for UNI.

Luka Wick is the last big time 2021 recruit with NDSU interest. Hopefully we get good news on him in the next month.

Big Bird
10-30-2020, 11:50 PM
Maxwell Peterson of Byron to NDSU.

I'm a really big fan of his and think this is a great get.

https://twitter.com/MNwrestle/status/1322312421625761792/photo/1

Big Bird
10-30-2020, 11:53 PM
Peterson is a class of 2022 commit and ranked as the #140th recruit in his class by Rokfin.

Also Gladiator Dad mentioned that Cole Gripka out of MO committed to NDSU. Undefeated state champ at 220 last year, class of 2021 commit, was a quarterfinalist last week at Super 32 (toughest HS tournament in the country), and is wrestling at USAW Preseason Nationals this week.

Big Bird
11-02-2020, 02:45 PM
The 2021 class is already pretty large, has good depth, and features a good balance between high end commits and guys with room to further develop.

Running commit list:

2021-
Carlos Negrete, CA, 125, #44
Alex Ramirez, CA, 149, #66
Dominik Vacura, MN, HWT, #123
Clay Radenz, ND, 141, UR
Spencer Mooberry, IA, 184/197, UR
Lathan Duda, NE, 184/197, UR
Beau Klingensmith, IA, 141, UR
Kobe Lyons, NE, 174/184, UR
Cole Gripka, MO, HWT, UR

2022-
Maxwell Peterson, MN, 141/149, #140

Remaining uncommitted ranked guys on my wishlist:
2021-
Luka Wick, CA, 157, #26

2022-
CJ Hamblin, WA, 157/165, #67
Robert Avila, IA, 133, #70
James Rowley, OR, 184, #87
Hunter Lyden, MN, 165, #90
Gavin Drexler, WI, 141, #98

NDSU_grad
11-02-2020, 03:36 PM
The 2021 class is already pretty large, has good depth, and features a good balance between high end commits and guys with room to further develop.

Running commit list:

2021-
Carlos Negrete, CA, 125, #44
Alex Ramirez, CA, 149, #66
Dominik Vacura, MN, HWT, #123
Clay Radenz, ND, 141, UR
Spencer Mooberry, IA, 184/197, UR
Lathan Duda, NE, 184/197, UR
Beau Klingensmith, IA, 141, UR
Kobe Lyons, NE, 174/184, UR
Cole Gripka, MO, HWT, UR

2022-
Maxwell Peterson, MN, 141/149, #140

Remaining uncommitted ranked guys on my wishlist:
2021-
Luka Wick, CA, 157, #26

2022-
CJ Hamblin, WA, 157/165, #67
Robert Avila, IA, 133, #70
James Rowley, OR, 184, #87
Hunter Lyden, MN, 165, #90
Gavin Drexler, WI, 141, #98
Big Bird, what do you think of Radenz? My kid wrestled class A in North Dakota so I've seen a lot of these kids wrestle. Realistic shot of ever cracking the lineup?

Big Bird
11-02-2020, 04:06 PM
I don't watch much ND HS wrestling, so I'm not the best to ask. I watched his three matches at Super 32 two weeks ago and another tournament from this summer and he was solid.

He isn't overly explosive, but he also didn't look to be a liability in any facet. He seems to be genuinely good on top and that should improve if he gets to work with Sykora.

From neutral, he seems to take too many straight on shots from space, and those will be very low percentage chances at the next level. He's slick with his ties and scrambles though, and kind of reminds me of a more fluid Sawyer Degen from neutral. He's going to need to work hard on his neutral game and develop a go-to takedown to be a starter.

Overall, it's tough to say whether he'll become a starter. If he can improve from neutral, he could be a really good with his length and skills on top.

That being said, NDSU is bringing in Max Peterson in 2022 and Alex Ramirez in 2021, and they look like long term guys at 141 and 149. Plus Dylan D has a bunch of eligibility remaining.

PaBizon
11-03-2020, 01:47 PM
The Open Mat has replaced Carlos Negrete in its 126lb rankings with his Buchanan teammate who moved up from 120. He was not moved up to 132 which has another Buchanan wrestler in the top 5 of its rankings, nor was he moved down to 120. The other rankings I’ve looked at still have Negrete on their lists. Just curious if anyone has any updates on his status.

RadioBison
11-03-2020, 11:14 PM
The Open Mat has replaced Carlos Negrete in its 126lb rankings with his Buchanan teammate who moved up from 120. He was not moved up to 132 which has another Buchanan wrestler in the top 5 of its rankings, nor was he moved down to 120. The other rankings I’ve looked at still have Negrete on their lists. Just curious if anyone has any updates on his status.

There's a long interview with him from mid-September. I didn't watch the whole thing, but it seems like things are still on track.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BuchananWrestling/community/?mt_nav=0&msite_tab_async=0

Big Bird
11-04-2020, 07:40 PM
I missed this 2 weeks ago but, the 61st ranked recruit in the class of 2022, Casey Swiderski out of Michigan, listed NDSU, Iowa State, Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State as his final 5 schools.

That would be a 2nd great get for the 2022 class.

He's been very active this summer and put together outstanding results. He's another guy that probably projects in the 141-149 weights. And while NDSU has done well with getting Peterson and Ramirez to cover these weights, any time you have a chance at a highly ranked kid like this, you have to go for it.

Big Bird
11-07-2020, 10:42 PM
I missed this 2 weeks ago but, the 61st ranked recruit in the class of 2022, Casey Swiderski out of Michigan, listed NDSU, Iowa State, Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State as his final 5 schools.

That would be a 2nd great get for the 2022 class.

He's been very active this summer and put together outstanding results. He's another guy that probably projects in the 141-149 weights. And while NDSU has done well with getting Peterson and Ramirez to cover these weights, any time you have a chance at a highly ranked kid like this, you have to go for it.

Swiderski has committed to Iowa State. Dang

Big Bird
11-11-2020, 10:51 PM
Radenz, Mooberry, Duda, Klingensmith, and Gripka wound up signing today. Another new addition was Mannix Morgan from Mounds View. His brother is a backup at MN and his dad is legendary former gopher coach and wrestler Marty Morgan.

Haven't seen anything on Vacura, Ramirez, and Negrete yet.

Previous verbal, Kobe Lyons of Nebraska, winds up signing with Chadron State today.

Haven't seen Luka Wick make it official with anyone yet either.

Big Bird
11-13-2020, 01:30 AM
Carlos Negrete made it official today too. Great get for NDSU.

El_Chapo
11-13-2020, 02:18 AM
Radenz, Mooberry, Duda, Klingensmith, and Gripka wound up signing today. Another new addition was Mannix Morgan from Mounds View. His brother is a backup at MN and his dad is legendary former gopher coach and wrestler Marty Morgan.

Haven't seen anything on Vacura, Ramirez, and Negrete yet.

Previous verbal, Kobe Lyons of Nebraska, winds up signing with Chadron State today.

Haven't seen Luka Wick make it official with anyone yet either.

marty morgan was legit. good class!

PaBizon
11-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Quayin Short of Simley to Wyoming.

PaBizon
11-14-2020, 01:15 PM
Anyone know what the hold up on Vacura is?

PaBizon
11-16-2020, 11:55 PM
Hunter Lyden to Minnesota

Big Bird
11-18-2020, 02:39 AM
Bryce Dagel (2021) of Eden Prairie commits to NDSU. Two time state placer who profiles as depth in the 157-165 range

Big Bird
11-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Anyone know what the hold up on Vacura is?

Looks like it's official now. https://twitter.com/NDSUwrestling/status/1329104252350902286

Still haven't seen Ramirez make it official yet. He's pretty critical as a high end talent in the middle weights and we haven't been getting those.

Big Bird
01-26-2021, 08:38 PM
NDSU added another Californian to the 2021 class, getting Juan Mora. He's the 8th ranked HS 220 pounder in the country (NDSU signee Vacura is ranked 15th) and the 87th recruit in the class of 2021.

PaBizon
01-31-2021, 12:44 AM
James Noel and Mitchel Peterson are no longer listed on the roster. Wondering if this will have any impact on 2022 recruit Maxwell Peterson. Hope not.

Big Bird
02-02-2021, 10:51 PM
Really good week for the 2021 class, as NDSU picked up 2 of the top uncommitted ranked wrestlers in the class. In addition to Juan Mora out of California, NDSU got a verbal from Mikey Caliendo out of Illinois.

He's the 83rd ranked wrestler in the class of 2021 (per Rokfin) and projects at 174.

Per Rokfin, NDSU has the following nationally ranked guys in the class of 2021:
Carlos Negrete, #43
Juan Mora, #82
Mikey Caliendo, #83
Alex Ramirez, #91
Dom Vacura, #149

Luka Wick would be the perfect cherry to top off this class

PaBizon
02-11-2021, 11:50 AM
Has Alex Ramirez confirmed his commitment?

PaBizon
02-11-2021, 12:01 PM
With Fresno State and Stanford dropping their programs it will be interesting to see if the Bison are interested/in the hunt for any (more/Pentz) of the wrestlers. They won’t be in the running for woods/Griffith but could a Eischens come back to the Midwest or is finishing at a school like Stanford enough for him to give up wrestling. I believe I read he was born in Fargo. I also see that Baylor Fernandez from the U of Minn has entered the transfer portal. IMO either would provide competition and probably be an upgrade at 165/174 next year.

Big Bird
02-11-2021, 04:21 PM
Fernandez would be a perfect fit at 165/174. 4 years of eligibility if he wants it and he's been really solid thus far.

As far as Ramirez, I haven't seen anything official yet. NDSU usually tweets out a graphic when people sign their NLIs.

Luka Wick has started his unofficial visits this week, by taking a trip to Michigan, Pitt, and Ohio State. I'm guessing NDSU won't get him, but I'm still holding out hope.

PaBizon
02-21-2021, 02:21 AM
Spencer Mooberry wins an Iowa state title 6-4 in OT. Victory was over UNI recruit. Beau Klingensmith took 6th getting pinned in his last two matches.

PaBizon
02-21-2021, 03:14 AM
In a battle of 50-0 wrestlers Lathan Duda wins the 195 lb Nebraska class B title 3-2

HerdBot
02-21-2021, 03:20 AM
Last time we had some so called great class, they sucked.

PaBizon
02-21-2021, 04:09 AM
Who said anything about a great class???

PaBizon
02-23-2021, 08:19 PM
Looks like Freshman 197 pounder Luke Rasmussen has entered the transfer portal

PaBizon
03-09-2021, 10:17 PM
With the struggles this year at 125 and 149 and Stanford/Fresno St dropping wrestling here’s a few wrestlers that might be good fits for the Bison and fun to follow at NCAAs.

125 Jackson Disario - Stanford sophomore
149 Jordan Abas - Stanford freshman
149 Kyle Parco - Fresno St freshman

Parco was very impressive in his match against Degan from Iowa St. at the Big 12 Tournament. pretty much dominated him. Maybe Pentz can convince him Fargo isn’t really that cold 

PaBizon
03-11-2021, 09:52 PM
Freshman 149 pounder Marc Schaefer has entered the transfer portal making it three total

Big Bird
03-12-2021, 01:09 AM
Would like to see Noel wind up at Arkansas Little Rock. Schaefer would probably be a good fit in D2. Rasmussen is the only one of the three that I could see us missing, but even that is a stretch. All three looked like depth guys, but I wish them well.

Looking through the guys listed on the portal, a couple stand out as realistic gets who would be great fits.
1. Baylor Fernandes, 165, MN. He could step right into the lineup next year at 165 and be a top 25 guy and he technically has 4 years left.
2. E'lan Heard, 149, IL. He could be the answer at 149. Highly ranked kid in the 2020 class who only saw one match this year. Has a redshirt available.
3/4/5. The trio of Anthony Molton, Haiden Drury, and Kyle Parco of Fresno State would be great additions. They're all young and have already had varying levels of collegiate success. I think Parco in particular will be a hot commodity after beating Jarrett Degen twice.

Portlandbison
03-14-2021, 07:30 AM
According to flowrestling Kyle Parco from Fresno is heading to Utah Valley.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6883842-2021-ncaa-d1-transfer-tracker

PaBizon
03-14-2021, 10:36 PM
According to flowrestling Kyle Parco from Fresno is heading to Utah Valley.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6883842-2021-ncaa-d1-transfer-tracker

Most of the wrestlers that entered the portal last fall left for their new school before this season started. Here’s to hoping since he didn’t that he’s still up for grabs.

PaBizon
03-18-2021, 11:21 PM
Parco just lost to number one seed sasso 11-10. Had him on the ropes

RadioBison
03-19-2021, 12:00 PM
Parco just lost to number one seed sasso 11-10. Had him on the ropes

He's been fun to follow for sure. That last takedown by Sasso looked like a close call to me, but I didn't see anybody challenge it, so it must have been good.

PaBizon
03-20-2021, 01:24 AM
With the struggles this year at 125 and 149 and Stanford/Fresno St dropping wrestling here’s a few wrestlers that might be good fits for the Bison and fun to follow at NCAAs.

125 Jackson Disario - Stanford sophomore
149 Jordan Abas - Stanford freshman
149 Kyle Parco - Fresno St freshman

Parco was very impressive in his match against Degan from Iowa St. at the Big 12 Tournament. pretty much dominated him. Maybe Pentz can convince him Fargo isn’t really that cold 

Both Parco and Abas are All Americans at 149.

PaBizon
03-22-2021, 01:59 PM
I have to believe with the free year and the amount of wrestlers that choose to come back the transfer portal is going to be hopping more than it already is. And with very good wrestlers. Iowa just won a national title and all but two (young/Kemerer) have already stated they’re planning on coming back. The Iowa backup roster alone probably has 5-7 national qualifiers (or better on it. Should make for an interesting off season

RadioBison
03-23-2021, 01:14 AM
I have to believe with the free year and the amount of wrestlers that choose to come back the transfer portal is going to be hopping more than it already is. And with very good wrestlers. Iowa just won a national title and all but two (young/Kemerer) have already stated they’re planning on coming back. The Iowa backup roster alone probably has 5-7 national qualifiers (or better on it. Should make for an interesting off season

It always gets me when I see AA-caliber guys finish out there careers on the bench at some of the top schools. I can think of several recent examples at OK St, but at the same time, I never know what kind of injuries or other things are going on behind the scenes.

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed that we can make another good pick-up or two. Kish has pulled in some good transfers over the years ( Sykora, Weber, Fleetwood, Tynan, Pentz, LDLR), so he might as well keep at it.

Big Bird
03-23-2021, 10:11 AM
NDSU doesn't look like they have a long term answer at 149 or 165, so those would be the areas I'd focus on in the portal. Van Maanen is ok, but hasn't put it together. Brenner is fine at 165, and I think he can be a qualifier with more chances. If Brenner is at 165, then 174 is a minor concern. Habisch had a nice win over Cade King, but he needs some work. We also really struggled at 125 this year, and there is no guarantee Midkiff returns to form or that Negrete gets his redshirt pulled.

My favorite potential targets in the transfer portal:
149-
E'Lan Heard, Illinois. Was a class of 2020 recruit and ranked in the top 150. Offers the potential for a long term answer.
Jarod Verkleeren, Pen State. Has at least 2 years remaining if he wants it. He is a former world champion and has wins over AA Yahya Thomas, AA John Millner, and a bunch of other solid options.
Kizhan Clarke, American. Potential All American with one year left.
Jaden Abas, Stanford. All American this year with 3-4 years of eligibility depending on what he wants.
Adam Busiello, Arizona State/Penn State. Former top 10 overall recruit who is on the move again.
Luke Karam, Lehigh. Potentially 2 years left for the former national qualifier.
Gabe Tagg, North Carolina. A 141, but that could allow Droegemueller could move to 149 and get stronger.
Kyle Parco, Fresno State. The 2021 All American did commit to Utah Valley, but Utah Valley also has Hunsaker. Others are trying to get Parco now, and I'd watch out for Wisconsin.

165-
National Champion Shane Griffith. Michigan is the rumor but I would watch Rutgers too. Penn State has 1 hole too...and it's 165.
Baylor Fernandes, Minnesota. My top target for NDSU. Would have 4 years left, and he's really solid. He beat Cade Devos and Weber his true freshman year and held Franek to a 2-1 decision.

174-
Jared Krattiger, Wisconsin. He's towards the top of my list too. He has 3 years left if he wants and was in the top 20 this year.

125-
Anthony Molton, Fresno State. He struggled this year, but did beat Midkiff. He'd have 4 years left if he wants it and wouldn't be a high end option, but he'd be a long term option with talent.
Chris Barnabe, Lehigh. Top 150 recruit in the 2020 class.

133-
Haiden Drury, Fresno State. Should've been an NCAA qualifier as a true freshman this year. He beat March twice this year and also beat Moscha Schwartz. If they could get him, he and March would both have a redshirt available. Plus, one could wrestle 141 and Droegemueller could bulk up to 149. I'd love to add him.
Will Betancourt, Lock Haven. Top 100 recruit in the 2020 class who didn't wrestle this year.

184-
Devin Winston, SIUE. Former top 25 Gopher recruit is a high end talent. Would love to see what Coach Kish could do with a high end talent in the upper weights like this.

Overall, my top 5 realistic wish list:
1. Baylor Fernandes 165
2. Haiden Drury 133
3. Jared Krattiger 174
4. Jarod Verlkleeren 149 (He'd be #2 on my list if I thought it was more feasible)
5. E'Lan Heard 149

Big Bird
03-24-2021, 05:26 PM
NDSU added DeAnthony "DJ" Parker out of Illinois for the 2021 class two weeks ago. Top ranked kid in Illinois at 182 in class 3A.

PaBizon
03-25-2021, 02:07 AM
For me need help in this order
1. 125 Midkiff struggled big time. Henningson isn’t ready.
2. 174 Habish is an unknown commodity with some potential.
3. 149 Van Mannen IMO lacks confidence and just needs to believe in himself. Let it go
4. 165 hoping Weber comes back and Brenner can compete for 174. That being said need quality and/or depth
5. 184 who knows if Nelson can make a living at 184. Cutting weight can drain strength and stamina. Also need depth.

125 - would love to see Jackson DiSario of Stanford head north. He’s a sophomore and Two time qualifier that would add competition and experience to the weight.
174 - Krattinger from Wisconsin would be a great fit.
149 - Jaden Abas or Parco would be Ideal here.
165 - Baylor Fernandez from Minnesota would fit just like Krattinger.
184 - Winston is talented but has been to two different schools and wrestled 5 matches in two years. Would love to know why he’s leaving SIEU already. With all the returning wrestlers at schools like Iowa I’m holding out hope that there will be many more entering the portal. A kid like Glazier from Iowa is buried on the depth chart and will probably never see action as a starter. Solid credentials, from Albert Lea, Mn and needs an opportunity.

Another kid that just entered the portal is 133 pounder Ramio from Arizona St. highly ranked and recruited kid coming out of high school. Could help push 133/141

PaBizon
03-25-2021, 05:08 PM
NDSU added DeAnthony "DJ" Parker out of Illinois for the 2021 class two weeks ago. Top ranked kid in Illinois at 182 in class 3A.

I think this is a great get. I ran across a match last fall where he wrestled against gopher commit Gabel from Little Falls, Mn. Parker won 6-1 in what was a tight match until late in the third when Parker got NF points. He was aggressive, quick, scrambled really well and seemed to have a lot in the gas tank. Took some shots with his head down and didn’t have success staying on top in this particular match but gabel is a pretty good wrestler. I look forward to seeing what a college room can do for him.

Track Wrestling has him ranked #10 at his weight class and Flo has him at #16

Big Bird
03-26-2021, 05:07 PM
WrestleStat has NDSU adding Gabriel Schumm out of California to the 2021 class. Didn't place in the 2020 CA state tournament, but went 3-2. Projects at 141-149

Big Bird
03-26-2021, 05:16 PM
NDSU has a really big class now. Considering they only graduate Weber and Witzig, and have had Noel, Rasmussen, Schaeffer, and Peterson leave, I can't imagine they have much money available for a big transfer or Luka Wick.

Class now includes:
Carlos Negrete, #43
Juan Mora, #82
Mikey Caliendo, #83
Alex Ramirez, #91
Dom Vacura, #149
Lathan Duda
Spencer Mooberry
DJ Parker
Clay Radenz
Cole Gripka
Beau Klingensmith
Mannix Morgan
Bryce Dagel
Gabriel Schumm

Portlandbison
03-27-2021, 02:30 AM
NDSU has a really big class now. Considering they only graduate Weber and Witzig, and have had Noel, Rasmussen, Schaeffer, and Peterson leave, I can't imagine they have much money available for a big transfer or Luka Wick.

Class now includes:
Carlos Negrete, #43
Juan Mora, #82
Mikey Caliendo, #83
Alex Ramirez, #91
Dom Vacura, #149
Lathan Duda
Spencer Mooberry
DJ Parker
Clay Radenz
Cole Gripka
Beau Klingensmith
Mannix Morgan
Bryce Dagel
Gabriel Schumm

Noah Cressel isn't listed on the roster either.

Wouldn't be shocked to see more departures than normal with what looks like solid underclassmen locking up 197/184/165/157/133

PaBizon
03-28-2021, 10:21 PM
Minnesota State Tournament Results

Vacura 220A 1st
Max Peterson (2022 Recruit) 138AA 2nd - lost in finals to Oregon St commit DeBlare 8-6. Peterson beat DeBlare earlier giving him his only loss
Morgan 170AAA 3rd - lost in the semis 3-1 to #1 seed and Gopher commit Hunter Lyden
Dagel 152AAA 2nd - lost in finals 3-1 Sudden Victory to #1 seed and SDSU commit Cael Swenson

Big Bird
03-29-2021, 11:59 PM
Add Mason Gode to the list for 2021. Class A state champ at 160 in MN

Portlandbison
04-07-2021, 08:13 PM
According to NDSU wrestling Twitter account Weber is coming back. He's been so much fun to watch, happy we get another year from him

PaBizon
04-07-2021, 10:26 PM
Yep. Saw that. He should be full of confidence and have a another great year!!!

RadioBison
04-07-2021, 11:11 PM
According to NDSU wrestling Twitter account Weber is coming back. He's been so much fun to watch, happy we get another year from him

That's awesome!

AKBison
04-08-2021, 02:55 AM
Just saw the news about Luke!

PaBizon
04-09-2021, 05:34 PM
NDSU doesn't look like they have a long term answer at 149 or 165, so those would be the areas I'd focus on in the portal. Van Maanen is ok, but hasn't put it together. Brenner is fine at 165, and I think he can be a qualifier with more chances. If Brenner is at 165, then 174 is a minor concern. Habisch had a nice win over Cade King, but he needs some work. We also really struggled at 125 this year, and there is no guarantee Midkiff returns to form or that Negrete gets his redshirt pulled.

My favorite potential targets in the transfer portal:
149-
E'Lan Heard, Illinois. Was a class of 2020 recruit and ranked in the top 150. Offers the potential for a long term answer.
Jarod Verkleeren, Pen State. Has at least 2 years remaining if he wants it. He is a former world champion and has wins over AA Yahya Thomas, AA John Millner, and a bunch of other solid options.
Kizhan Clarke, American. Potential All American with one year left.
Jaden Abas, Stanford. All American this year with 3-4 years of eligibility depending on what he wants.
Adam Busiello, Arizona State/Penn State. Former top 10 overall recruit who is on the move again.
Luke Karam, Lehigh. Potentially 2 years left for the former national qualifier.
Gabe Tagg, North Carolina. A 141, but that could allow Droegemueller could move to 149 and get stronger.
Kyle Parco, Fresno State. The 2021 All American did commit to Utah Valley, but Utah Valley also has Hunsaker. Others are trying to get Parco now, and I'd watch out for Wisconsin.

165-
National Champion Shane Griffith. Michigan is the rumor but I would watch Rutgers too. Penn State has 1 hole too...and it's 165.
Baylor Fernandes, Minnesota. My top target for NDSU. Would have 4 years left, and he's really solid. He beat Cade Devos and Weber his true freshman year and held Franek to a 2-1 decision.

174-
Jared Krattiger, Wisconsin. He's towards the top of my list too. He has 3 years left if he wants and was in the top 20 this year.

125-
Anthony Molton, Fresno State. He struggled this year, but did beat Midkiff. He'd have 4 years left if he wants it and wouldn't be a high end option, but he'd be a long term option with talent.
Chris Barnabe, Lehigh. Top 150 recruit in the 2020 class.

133-
Haiden Drury, Fresno State. Should've been an NCAA qualifier as a true freshman this year. He beat March twice this year and also beat Moscha Schwartz. If they could get him, he and March would both have a redshirt available. Plus, one could wrestle 141 and Droegemueller could bulk up to 149. I'd love to add him.
Will Betancourt, Lock Haven. Top 100 recruit in the 2020 class who didn't wrestle this year.

184-
Devin Winston, SIUE. Former top 25 Gopher recruit is a high end talent. Would love to see what Coach Kish could do with a high end talent in the upper weights like this.

Overall, my top 5 realistic wish list:
1. Baylor Fernandes 165
2. Haiden Drury 133
3. Jared Krattiger 174
4. Jarod Verlkleeren 149 (He'd be #2 on my list if I thought it was more feasible)
5. E'Lan Heard 149

According to Flo wrestling via Ben Askren, Krattinger has narrowed his interest list down to Minnesota, UT Chattanooga, Central Michigan and Pitt

larson311
04-10-2021, 01:02 AM
Mitch Petersen is transferring to Rochester

PaBizon
04-11-2021, 04:55 PM
Mitch Petersen is transferring to Rochester

Any idea if it’s school related or purely wrestling related. I thought he had potential to fill a lineup spot in the future

larson311
04-11-2021, 10:12 PM
I’m not sure, but one would think School related if going to a juco school.

Big Bird
04-14-2021, 10:48 PM
Fresno State All American Kyle Parco, who had been committed to Utah Valley, opts to instead transfer to Arizona State

PaBizon
04-15-2021, 04:05 PM
Waiting for official confirmation but it looks like former gopher Baylor Fernandez is going to end up at Northern Colorado. Would have liked to have seen him come here but with Weber coming back it’s less impactful.

Big Bird
04-15-2021, 10:54 PM
NDSU added PJ Velazquez out of Chaska to the 2021 class. 2x state placer and 4x state qualifier for Chaska and projects at 149.

Big Bird
04-16-2021, 01:38 AM
Man, Luka Wick to....Cal Poly. Did not see that coming.

https://twitter.com/ch3fwilk/status/1382861955916914690

Big Bird
04-25-2021, 07:14 PM
NDSU picked up another 2022 recruit, and one I really like, in Gavin Drexler out of Wisconsin. He won his 2nd state title this year, by beating a 2 time state champ 12-4. He is also a former Fargo Cadet Greco runner up.

NDSU has been after him for a while, and he becomes a possible replacement for JVM or Droegemueller. He's #150 in the 2022 class by Rokfin (#109 by TOM), and I think that's probably ~75 spots too low.

If Peterson sticks with his commitment, Drexler and Peterson could be a really good future 141/149 combo.

NDSU got Drexler, who turned down scholarship offers from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arkansas Little Rock, and Northern Illinois, among others.

Also, 2021 signee Juan Mora has been on an absolute roll this summer and is ranked as a top 5 heavyweight now, and looks to be a potential really high end HWT for NDSU. He's been wrecking guys with a quick snatch single, and he's so good at finishing it very quickly.

larson311
04-26-2021, 03:55 PM
Alex Ramirez placed 1st at NHSCA nationals wrestling 152lbs

Big Bird
05-04-2021, 12:47 AM
Willie released his most expansive rankings to date. He ranked the top 300 in the 2021 class and NDSU is well represented.
#58 Carlos Negrete - He's dropped a good amount, but that's largely due to California cancelling their 2021 season while most of the country had a season. He hasn't been active in national tournaments either. I'm not worried, as long as he's been able to continue practicing.
#69 Alex Ramirez - I still haven't seen an announcement with him signing his letter of intent. Hoping he still comes in, because he has the talent to be the long term answer at 149.
#74 - Michael Caliendo - He's been really good in the offseason nationally, although he doesn't have a bunch of signature wins. He has a great chance to be the long term 174.
#78 - DJ Parker - Really athletic and a decently big riser. Parker does have a chance to be the long term answer at 184 if Nelson doesn't improve.
#87 - Juan Mora - I actually expected him to rise a bit more. He definitely has looked like the long term solution to replace Metz at HWT.
#105 - Dominik Vacura - He was fine in the regualr season, I just don't see him beating Mora. Maybe he leans up and gives 197 a shot.
#233 - Spencer Mooberry - He looks like a solid get, just needs to keep improving his technique.
#243 - Cole Gripka - Another heavyweight option. Really curious to see how this plays out with Vacura, Mora, and Gripka all coming in the same class and looking like heavyweights.

PaBizon
05-11-2021, 01:39 PM
Krattinger transfers to Minnesota

Big Bird
05-12-2021, 12:58 PM
Rokfin/Willie has NDSU at #16 in the 2021 recruiting rankings. 2 quotes stood out: 1, "It’s the best class in Bison history and there’s going to be plenty of opportunity for these guys to make their mark. Perhaps no other program in the country this year will incur so much gain from a single class as NDSU will with this one." 2. "And while the class lacks top end horsepower, they make up for it in a lot of ways with rather untapped potential."

Intermat, which is owned by Willie now, has NDSU at #15.

PaBizon
05-12-2021, 06:40 PM
Oklahoma St 125 pounder Jakason Burks has entered the transfer portal. Highly recruited out of Omaha went 6-2 in his freshman season. Looks like he’s the OSU backup at 125. Might make sense with the lack of depth at 125 unless Negrete is for sure going to wrestle there and not 133.

PaBizon
05-14-2021, 09:59 PM
Looks like former Bison Luke Rasmussen has signed with his home state Illinois Fighting Illini

PaBizon
05-18-2021, 04:49 PM
Michigan 197 pounder Gabe Garcia entered the transfer portal. He was a top 25 recruit coming out of high school that also plays football. He was on the roster at Michigan for both sports (plays RB) this past season. Flo Wrestling on their podcast today said that he still wants to play both sports and will probably be looking for an FCS school that is solid in both. They suggested on the show that Roger Kish pick up the phone. Probably not a weight of need but an interesting thought.

PaBizon
05-18-2021, 05:00 PM
Flo wrestling released its final top 100 Big Board for the 2021 class. NDSU have four in the top 100
#52 Michael Caliendo 160
#61 Juan Mora 285
#68 Carlos Negrete 125
#100 Alex Ramirez 152

The bunnies have two
#24 Alex Martin 145
#44 Cael Swenson 152

Gophers have five
#23 Bennett Tabor 285
#53 Drew Roberts 145
#70 Tagen Jamison 138
#91 Vance Vombauer 145
#99 Jager Eisch 138

Big Bird
05-21-2021, 03:30 PM
NDSU has two more commitments for the 2021 class that I missed.

Noah Kovick, a 2x state champ out of Montana who projects as another 197.

Ryan Watts, a kid who placed 7th in the 2020 CA state tournament and projects as a 141. His brother Zach, was a freshman for NDSU this year.

NDSU is also tweeting out graphics on some of their commits today, and still nothing on top 100 recruit and CA state champ Alex Ramirez. At this point, I'm not expecting him but I do hope he winds up on the roster. He could be the answer at 149.

This is the largest class I can remember for NDSU. Bringing in a ton of bodies and I'm interested and excited to see them in some of the open tournaments this year.

PaBizon
06-04-2021, 03:50 PM
2022 recruit Max Peterson went 9-2 at 138 for Team Kong at the National High school duals. Team Kong took 1st place. Peterson’s two losses were in the semi final dual, 5-2 to Caden McCrary (top 30 recruit going to North Carolina) and in the championship dual 13-7 to Casey Swiderski, Iowa’s St recruit #62 overall in the class of 2022.

PaBizon
06-04-2021, 05:52 PM
2021 Recruit Alex Ramirez was also on Team Kong. He went 5-0 at 160 with four falls in the matches he participated. He split time with uncommitted Vincent Zerban, Illinois, the #6 recruit at 152 according to Flo wrestling. Flo has Ramirez ranked #20 at 152.

PaBizon
06-10-2021, 12:26 PM
Looks like 2022 recruit Jore Volk out of Lakeville has narrowed his school down to five. Minnesota , NE, NDSU, OK St and WY. Flo has him has the #35 recruit in the class and projects him at 125/133. Would be a huge get for the Bison.

Big Bird
06-10-2021, 09:32 PM
NDSU is also listed as a finalist for these 2022 kids:

#114 Nash Singleton, Oregon
#115 Gabe Giampietro, Delaware
#166 Fin Nadeau, Montana

They weren't listed as a finalist for #17 James Rowley, who has blown up in the past year after they were on him early.

Willie also didn't have a comprehensive list, and I'm still hopeful they are a contender for CJ Hamblin out of Washington and some more California kids.

They have verbals from Peterson and Drexler for 2022, and were a finalist for #27 Casey Swiderski, before he picked Iowa State.

Big Bird
06-12-2021, 12:04 AM
Looks like 2022 recruit Jore Volk out of Lakeville has narrowed his school down to five. Minnesota , NE, NDSU, OK St and WY. Flo has him has the #35 recruit in the class and projects him at 125/133. Would be a huge get for the Bison.

Jore Volk commits to Wyoming. Their third top 100 recruit for the 2022 class this week.

Big Bird
06-15-2021, 10:41 PM
CJ Hamblin commits to Northern Colorado. I'm a big fan and think he's going to be great. Really wanted him in green and gold.

Northern Colorado continues to do very well in recruiting.

NDSU_grad
06-18-2021, 12:00 AM
https://twitter.com/trackwrestling/status/1405591831983890433?s=21
Clay Radenz doing nasty things at Junior National Duals. ��

56BISON73
06-18-2021, 12:19 AM
https://twitter.com/trackwrestling/status/1405591831983890433?s=21
Clay Radenz doing nasty things at Junior National Duals. ��

Damn......

PaBizon
06-19-2021, 02:46 PM
Bison Recruits at the Jr National Duals in Tulsa

Spencer Mooberry Iowa (195) 1-0
Mannix Morgan Minnesota Red (170) 1-2
Clay Radner ND Blue (145) 2-3
DJ Parker Illinois (182) 2-1. His loss was a 17-17 criteria decision to Brian Soldono, a multiple time NJ high school state champ and Rutgers recruit

Big Bird
06-27-2021, 06:07 PM
DJ Parker and Mikey Caliendo won Illinois 3A state titles yesterday. I think these two could be four year starters at 165 and 184.

Combine them with the California kids alone, and the 2021 class has a really good chance to be exceptionally productive. Likely long term starters at: HWT between Mora/Vacura/Gripka, if he can keep making the weight Negrete at 125, Caliendo at 165, and Parker at 184. If Ramirez winds up coming in still, he can slide in after Franek leaves.

PaBizon
07-18-2021, 04:47 PM
Looks like bison recruits Raden, Drexler, Schumm, Caliendo, Parker, Mooberry and Vacura all made the round of 64. Looks like Raden and Drexler will be facing each other today at 145.

PaBizon
07-18-2021, 07:45 PM
Looks like bison recruits Radenz, Drexler, Schumm, Caliendo, Parker and Mooberry all made the round of 64. Looks like Radenz and Drexler will be facing each other today at 145.

Drexler beat Radenz 8-0 to advance to the round of 32

Big Bird
07-19-2021, 01:02 AM
Mannix Morgan and Noah Kavick are both still on the championship side and in the R32 too and coming up very soon.

Mikey Caliendo can come in and start right away (and I'm an Austin Brenner fan and think he can qualify for NCAAs). He looks fantastic and I'd be surprised if he isn't an All American at some point. DJ Parker is outstanding too. His technique isn't elite, but he has great tools and has been wrestling very well.

PaBizon
07-20-2021, 04:51 PM
DJ Parker is the only Bison recruit to AA as he took 7th place at 182. His losses were 6-3 to eventual champion Thomas Stewart out of Maryland and 10-5 to 5th place finisher and Missouri recruit Clayton Whiting. Very good tournament and a wrestler that I think has the most upside of this incoming Bison class.

Big Bird
07-24-2021, 03:57 PM
DJ Parker won a national title in Greco. He's looking like an incredible addition to the squad.

Clay Radenz made the blood round but unfortunately got pinned while leading.

Of the guys at this tournament, Spencer Mooberry, Mikey Caliendo, and DJ Parker most impressed me. Mooberry had a tough path in freestyle and wound up losing a tough one in the bloodround to a much more highly ranked fellow Iowan. I'm very interested to see how he looks as he fills out his frame. He's very tall and pretty thin, and should be a good option at 197 long term. Caliendo had a brutal path and notched some nice wins.

Considering the NDSU California guys weren't wrestling, it wasn't a bad performance.

PaBizon
08-10-2021, 02:03 PM
NDSU roster Updated for 2021-2022. Here are the 16 guys that have been added to the upcoming years roster.
Michael Caliendo - 165
Latham Duda - 197
Colby Evans - 125
Mason Gode - 165
Cole Gripka - HWT
Spencer Mooberry -197
Juan Mora - HWT
Mannix Morgan - 165
Juan Negrete - 125
DJ Parker - 184
Julian Perez - 133
Clay Radenz - 141
Gabriel Schumm - 141
Dominik Vacura - HWT
PJ Velazquez - 149
Ryan Watts - 141

Some solid additions with much needed depth at certain weights. No Ramirez and it looks like it didn’t work out for Mitchel Peterson to come back.

Big Bird
08-11-2021, 02:21 PM
With no Ramirez, 149 is a big need going forward. Maybe they have Peterson or Drexler penciled in as the long term option there, but they'll be true freshmen next year (assuming both verbals do indeed sign). If those two aren't options, have to hope Michael Weber or Gavan Sax develops into an option.

Beau Klingensmith, Bryce Dagel, and Noah Kovick also weren't listed.

Julian Perez and Alex Kowalchyk appear to be the only added names that weren't previously known. Kowalchyk is a depth kid from MN who took 5th and 6th at state the last 2 years. I don't know anything about Perez, and assume he is a depth guy.

Also, no McGwire Midkiff listed. Have to hope Carlos Negrete is ready to go right away (I think he is). Ryan Henningson and Colby Evens are the only other two options. Mac was a 2021 graduate from NDSU.

Maybe it's just a mistake, but they have Owen Pentz listed at 184 and Mike Nelson at 197. I would assume those are incorrect. I think Pentz is a better fit at 197.

PaBizon
08-11-2021, 02:36 PM
This must be a work in progress. Yesterday Kowalchyk wasn’t listed and Carlos Negrete was listed as Juan. Maybe they’re adding as they become enrolled and there’s still a few stragglers. Midkiff is a surprise though.

PaBizon
08-29-2021, 01:30 AM
Bison commit Max Peterson lost 10-9 in double OT at the MN who’s #1 to Koy Buesgens. It was a great match and worth watching the replay if you’re a wrestling fan. According to the announcers Buesgens is on NDSUs recruiting list as is Landen Johnson of Owatonna who won his match and along with NDSU has Brown University and Oregon St on his school list. IMO Johnson, who is very long and thin is an elite on top wrestler and a great scrambler. Flo has him #14 at 160.

El_Chapo
09-05-2021, 05:31 AM
about 10-12 recruits at game 2day.
any ndsu wrestling people wanna tell me how the recruit that had the seizure on the field is doing?
it was very shocking & scary for about 5 minutes, I was talking to the other recruits while emts were working. what a Great bunch of kids....
hope the young man is doing fine!

PaBizon
09-07-2021, 09:52 PM
Ryan Ripplinger of Bismarck has entered the transfer portal. Not sure why he waited this long to do so.

larson311
09-08-2021, 01:58 AM
Jake Allar of MN is also in the portal, would be a good fit as I don’t see a 174 on the current roster.

PaBizon
09-08-2021, 04:10 PM
Jake Allar of MN is also in the portal, would be a good fit as I don’t see a 174 on the current roster.

I saw that. He would be an interesting get but he’s very injury prone. Austin Brenner is the Bison 174 pounder and ranked #32 in the initial Intermat rankings released last week. Allar is probably a slight upgrade IF he’s healthy. IMO Brenner should be a national qualifier this year.

PaBizon
09-13-2021, 06:58 PM
Jake Allar to Northern Colorado as a grad student

PaBizon
09-23-2021, 12:16 AM
Ryan Ripplinger of Bismarck has entered the transfer portal. Not sure why he waited this long to do so.

Ripplinger has transferred to Mekendree University in Illinois