PDA

View Full Version : Playing Minnesota

IowaBison
08-24-2005, 04:37 PM
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/12346467.htm

"Allen and Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi are working to fill in the blanks on next season -- Sept. 2, Sept. 9 and Oct. 21. Mason said one opponent will be a I-AA school (which starting next season will count toward bowl eligibility each year). There also are open nonconference dates on Oct. 20, 2007, and Sept. 13, 2008."

and another story

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/colleges/12392360.htm

swaghook
08-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Hopefully we can play them soon but I wouldn't want to see two I-A teams in one year.

Uni_of_No_Diks
08-25-2005, 02:34 AM
WHAT IS THE HOLD UP!

get this game SIGNED!!

this is the GRAND DADDY OF THEM ALL FOR BISON FANS!!

dammit!! hurrry taylor..

who cares what the guarantee is.. just ask for HALF the gate!!!

there will be a sold out dome for that!!

2006!! SEPT 2ND!!

MinotBison
08-25-2005, 02:38 AM
Hopefully we can play them soon but I wouldn't want to see two I-A teams in one year.

I agree. But just FYI, Sept. 2 and Oct. 21 are open for us in 2006.

go_bison
08-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Let's say it does happen (keeping my fingers crossed), where would it be played at? I would assume the Metrodome the first game and then probably another game maybe a couple years later at the Fargodome? I have heard that the Gophers would be scheduling some DI-AA opponents that would only be played at the Metrodome. (don't know if that is true or not) :-/ Where ever they play, I will be there wearing the green and gold. ;D

IowaBison
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Let's say it does happen (keeping my fingers crossed), where would it be played at? *I would assume the Metrodome the first game and then probably another game maybe a couple years later at the Fargodome? *I have heard that the Gophers would be scheduling some DI-AA opponents that would only be played at the Metrodome. (don't know if that is true or not) :-/ * Where ever they play, I will be there wearing the green and gold. *;D

They'll never be coming to the Dome while we're DIAA.

However, the Big 10/MAC agreement makes the long term probability slim as opposed to none as I would have thought until the agreement was announced.

go_bison
08-25-2005, 03:31 PM
What are the chances of getting the Univ. of Montana to play at the dome? We went and played them on their turf as a DII school and beat them (greatest Bison game I have ever seen) We also keep adding more Big Sky opponents (Weber, Mon. St, and now Nor. Col.) Also, if we do keep scheduling more D-IA teams, I would hope we could get a team like Univ of Mont. to play at the dome. Just a thought.

MinotBison
08-25-2005, 04:25 PM
They'll never be coming to the Dome while we're DIAA.

However, the Big 10/MAC agreement makes the long term probability slim as opposed to none as I would have thought until the agreement was announced.

Even if we were DI-A I seriously doubt they would ever come here. The FFD is not big enough to hold our fans and theirs.

kchats
08-25-2005, 06:34 PM
What are the chances of getting the Univ. of Montana to play at the dome? *We went and played them on their turf as a DII school and beat them (greatest Bison game I have ever seen) *We also keep adding more Big Sky opponents (Weber, Mon. St, and now Nor. Col.) *Also, if we do keep scheduling more D-IA teams, I would hope we could get a team like Univ of Mont. to play at the dome. Just a thought.

Montana will eventually play the Bison in the dome.

Minnesota on the other hand will not play at NDSU until the Bison are division I-A. It is much like a division II school trying to play a division I-AA or division I school the games are always at the higher division school.

Kansas University made an exception when they played UND but that was because Roy Williams liked to play games in the home states of his players. If NDSU was division I at the time he was looking for a game he would have scheduled the Bison.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Kansas University made an exception when they played UND but that was because Roy Williams liked to play games in the home states of his players. *If NDSU was division I at the time he was looking for a game he would have scheduled the Bison.

Actually, he asked Boschee who he would like to play in ND and he said UND. His older brother Mike was a great Sioux player and he wanted to play against the school he had watched and cheered for growing up.

You are right about the exception though. The biggest names with a lot of money will rarely make exceptions like this, however, the ones with less money and power will do it more often.

JBB
08-25-2005, 10:51 PM
I agree, as far as I can tell, the school with the money gets the game. *I wonder how the money flowed for the KS game in gf? *(it was an exhibition wasnt it?) *

NDSU should be able to get a lot of premier regular season *BB games at home over the years because we have a large enough venue and will be able to afford the guarantee. *In football our stadium isnt big enough. *I expect we will play a lot of big names on the road which should get the BISON on a lot of regional TV.

It would be a tall order for BISON Football in 2006 to see the Gophers and Ball State. *But almost every team we play is good. *The Gopher game seems to be just a matter of picking the day. *Their athletic director has been very positive about it. * *

kchats
08-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Actually, he asked Boschee who he would like to play in ND and he said UND. *His older brother Mike was a great Sioux player and he wanted to play against the school he had watched and cheered for growing up. *

You are right about the exception though. *The biggest names with a lot of money will rarely make exceptions like this, however, the ones with less money and power will do it more often.

If NDSU was division I at the time he wouldn't have given Boschee the choice. They would have played the division I team.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-26-2005, 03:09 PM
If NDSU was division I at the time he wouldn't have given Boschee the choice. *They would have played the division I team.

Did you talk to him?

kchats
08-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Why would I have to. A game against a division I opponent counts towards your RPI. That would allow them to play a division II school back in Kansas as well which they normally do. Seems pretty obvious to me but I'm not viewing this through pink and green glasses that make me think a division II school is better than a division I school on a schedule. :o

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Just a side note a few years back UND and Kentucky were very close to scheduling a game. Rich and Tubby Smith know each other pretty well and they were very close to getting a game together. Unfortunately scheduling did not allow it. Hopefully if UND does make the move to D-I the relationships that Rich has with Tubby and now with Kansas could help getting a game with one or both.

Is NDSU scheduled to play UNI next season? That would be nice if they could schedule Utah also. Who else would there be connections with?

roadwarrior
08-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Former Bison quarterback, Gary Barta, is the AD at Wyoming.

kchats
08-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Nebraska through Coach Bohl along with all schools in the Big 12 through Coach Bohl. NDSU bought the floor they use for basketball from K-State. Army through Gene Taylor. Tennessee through Amy Ruly (she has a bunch of big time connections since she is well respected by the division I coaches).

DIBISON
08-27-2005, 05:24 AM
And the men's basketball game at Elite Eight Wisconsin on January 21st came about with the connection to the Bison assistant coach. Don't you love these big-time DI games in the major sports?

sambini
08-28-2005, 05:01 AM
ANYONE THINK FOOTBALL WITH THE UOFMINNESOTA 2007?