PDA

View Full Version : Misery State Post Game Thoughts & Discussion

Kevin
10-19-2019, 10:48 PM
1) Trey Lance is good at football.
2) Luckily, Misery State is not.
3) I really don't know what to make of what we just watched. Maybe they were staying ultra vanilla to keep things off tape for next week. That's the delusional kool-aid reaction so I'll run with that.
4) Penalties and just sloppy play were concerning. But if you're going to come out flat this is the team to do it against.
5) Nice to see the D get a shut out during the Green Out.
6) Bring on little brother.

jcdcubs
10-19-2019, 10:51 PM
I thought Bison win over 40 points. Only 22 points?????

Hammersmith
10-19-2019, 10:53 PM
Phil Hanson's report card

Offense: B (MSU's D played very well, wasn't NDSU O playing badly; somewhat lackluster, but not bad)
Defense: A
Special Teams: C (mostly the missed FG)

WeAreThePride
10-19-2019, 10:54 PM
Burn the game tape for this one, boys.

A win is a win.
A conference win is a conference win.
A shutout is a shutout.

Move on and get better, I hope.

Christopher Moen
10-19-2019, 10:59 PM
I felt like Missouri State’s defense had a heads up on what was coming nearly every down.

Even on the change of direction plays, they had at least a few defenders waiting for the ball carrier.

Strange day.......

With that said, I expect NDSU to be a force next week!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wally
10-19-2019, 11:02 PM
1) Trey Lance is good at football.
2) Luckily, Misery State is not.
3) I really don't know what to make of what we just watched. Maybe they were staying ultra vanilla to keep things off tape for next week. That's the delusional kool-aid reaction so I'll run with that.
4) Penalties and just sloppy play were concerning. But if you're going to come out flat this is the team to do it against.
5) Nice to see the D get a shut out during the Green Out.
6) Bring on little brother.

Entz has said all year, they want to put it on tape. Why hold back now?

They overlooked them and luckily MSU was shit

tjbison
10-19-2019, 11:02 PM
I cant wait for all the over reaction to this game

22 point win, not every game is perfevt for a young bunch

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SomeBeach
10-19-2019, 11:10 PM
Move on. Nothing to see here. See you next week at SDSU.

aces1180
10-19-2019, 11:11 PM
I cant wait for all the over reaction to this game

22 point win, not every game is perfevt for a young bunch

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I mentioned this in the GDT...Our bad games are 22-point wins.

I laugh at some of these people who don't understand football.

wagsabison
10-19-2019, 11:15 PM
Doesn’t hurt to have a bad day if you think you’re the shit. Crushing UNI and Illinois State probably gave these guys big heads. They’ll be back to true form next week

aces1180
10-19-2019, 11:18 PM
Doesn’t hurt to have a bad day if you think you’re the shit. Crushing UNI and Illinois State probably gave these guys big heads. They’ll be back to true form next week

Yeah, I'm sure this was the issue.

Or maybe we had a bad game and MSU played well on D?

jcdcubs
10-19-2019, 11:21 PM
D??? They give up 447 total yards.

EC8CH
10-19-2019, 11:25 PM

Penalties killed NDSU scoring.

WeAreThePride
10-19-2019, 11:26 PM

What? 10 char

wagsabison
10-19-2019, 11:27 PM

I’m not discrediting MSU. We didn’t play to our potential, they played well but we should put up more than 22 on a 1-win team.

X-Factor
10-19-2019, 11:33 PM
Phil Hanson's report card

Offense: B (MSU's D played very well, wasn't NDSU O playing badly; somewhat lackluster, but not bad)
Defense: A
Special Teams: C (mostly the missed FG)

Phil is giving way too much credit to MSU D.
Trey played good, but the blocking (OL, TE, RB) should be graded out at a D. False starts, poor effort, and it starts with the all Americans. WR blocking looked OK but honestly KVLY does such a shitty job it’s hard to see anything but the QB.

GreenfieldBison
10-19-2019, 11:46 PM

The fight you got on your hands and you can still offer insightful and spot on analysis? Props to you my friend.

You keep WINNING!!!

23Bison
10-19-2019, 11:56 PM

I’m guilty of it too but this is a pretty good point.

EC8CH
10-20-2019, 12:02 AM

22 point... Shut out... Wins.

They never got close enough to even try a FG.

scottietohottie
10-20-2019, 12:06 AM
Was Tyler Roehls last game as a Bison down at brookings?

Sdsu is in big trouble. Just wear the sleeves if it's cold don't need to try and be tough guys.

CAS4127
10-20-2019, 12:10 AM

There are no big heads on this team .... none.

ndsubison1
10-20-2019, 12:12 AM
We struggled to finish drives. Lethargic after UNI and before SDSU? Look ahead game. The offensive stats werent terrible. Gotta love a shutout. Vick did well for them at WR. 9 penalties and 7 punts was ugly.

Im not worried about this. But, I think playing at SDSU was going to be tough regardless. Its a true toss up.

scottietohottie
10-20-2019, 12:24 AM
Who was supposed to block 52? He done had himself a ball game.

JMB
10-20-2019, 12:25 AM
I said it on the game thread, but our timing looked off. Fullback running up Trey's leg. Lots of strange RB/QB hand-offs. We seemed "off"

GreenfieldBison
10-20-2019, 12:28 AM
Who was supposed to block 52? He done had himself a ball game.

That was me. Sorry. I f’ed up this one.

But what about 27?!!! Wtf?!!! You supposed to put your hand in the dirt with a 20 something number?!!!

wagsabison
10-20-2019, 12:58 AM
There are no big heads on this team .... none.

Overconfidence I guess is more what I meant. They’ll regroup and figure things out next week.

SoCalBison
10-20-2019, 01:16 AM
I watched from kickoff to the first Bison TD while getting on a plane at SFO. Landed at home, pulled up ESPN+, it's the end of the 3rd and the score is only 15-0. Seems like the offense couldn't do much today. A smart guy once told me, when you're having a day like that, you go back to basics and concentrate on executing the little things. No sense the Bison were able to do that today. Hope Roehl and the O figure it out.

BisonNeil
10-20-2019, 02:00 AM
While I absolutely agree that one game is nothing to panic about there are a number of curious things that happened .

The last two FG attempts in the last two games were so fucking bad they made Cam Pederson look like something better than the 60% kicker he actually was.

Second,the offensive game plan and play calling was in Polasuck form. Vanilla beyond frozen cream. Nearly total abandoned attempt to pound their DL and take advantage of their fatigue later in the game. When did we give a shit about only a yard in runs between the tackle in the first half? The middle of the field for TE and FBs was open most of the game since Misery St was selling out for the run. Not seeing that as a game time adjustment is concerning to me.

Lastly, I sit between and behind the OL and the TE/RB groups and there was no enthusiasm as all. These players did not give a shit tonight and Blazek was bland and monotone despite multiple OL penalties. Riley would have lit them up and gotten them going. Four games and Blazek on the side line during shit play and he looks like he has narcolepsy. Sometimes shit play and lack of effort has to be addressed.

Gully
10-20-2019, 02:04 AM
While I absolutely agree that one game is nothing to panic about there are a number of curious things that happened .

The last two FG attempts in the last two games were so fucking bad they made Cam Pederson look like something better than the 60% kicker he actually was.

Second,the offensive game plan and play calling was in Polasuck form. Vanilla beyond frozen cream. Nearly total abandoned attempt to pound their DL and take advantage of their fatigue later in the game. When did we give a shit about only a yard in runs between the tackle in the first half? The middle of the field for TE and FBs was open most of the game since Misery St was selling out for the run. Not seeing that as a game time adjustment is concerning to me.

Lastly, I sit between and behind the OL and the TE/RB groups and there was no enthusiasm as all. These players did not give a shit tonight and Blazek was bland and monotone despite multiple OL penalties. Riley would have lit them up and gotten them going. Four games and Blazek on the side line during shit play and he looks like he has narcolepsy. Sometimes shit play and lack of effort has to be addressed.

The snaps have been high...sounds more like the snaps than the kicker per the head coach.

The offense had well over 400 yards. One of the big problems were all the penalties.

I do agree though, they seemed to lack the usual fire and enthusiasm.

Give MSU some credit though, their D played well.

OrygunBison
10-20-2019, 02:36 AM
Holy shit. We're fucked.

CAS4127
10-20-2019, 02:37 AM
The snaps have been high...sounds more like the snaps than the kicker per the head coach.

The offense had well over 400 yards. One of the big problems were all the penalties.

I do agree though, they seemed to lack the usual fire and enthusiasm.

Give MSU some credit though, their D played well.

I’m not worried at all. Convert 2-3 more 3rd downs would have led to a more complete blowout. MSU didn’t threaten us.

Get a win and move on—not clicking on all cylinders isn’t all bad for a young team. They will learn from it, bear down, and we will beat SDSU, YSU, the balance of MVFC schedule, get a bye, and cruise into playoffs.

Mark this post down ...

OrygunBison
10-20-2019, 02:38 AM
Was Tyler Roehls last game as a Bison down at brookings?

No. He played the following year with a gimpy wheel and gimpy QB.

NDSU1980
10-20-2019, 02:39 AM
You always play down to the level of your competition. And it used to be with us that we pissed away one game somewhere. Now the boys are good enough that they can piss one away and still win. I'm not worried, this should be a good wake up call for next week.

23Bison
10-20-2019, 02:54 AM
I’m not worried at all going into The Marker. The Bison will be ready and am predicting a 17 point win over the rabbits.

MNLonghorn10
10-20-2019, 03:21 AM
Im holding out hope they went with the most vanilla playbook 1 week ahead of @SDSU.

bisonaudit
10-20-2019, 03:29 AM
At the post game presser coach said if they can’t get the long snapping right they’re just going to have to go for it on 4th down. If that’s the excuse he needs, I’ll take it. I’d rather we get there with confidence instead of desperation though. He’s happy to be aggressive for 1 marginal point, why not 4?

tjbison
10-20-2019, 03:31 AM
Well, montana getting boatraced by Sac ST

MNLonghorn10
10-20-2019, 03:36 AM

should put an end to the griz computerrating boners where it had Montana beating NDSU 1 out of ever 10 sim runs.

BisonHorns
10-20-2019, 03:38 AM
This was the first home game where I actually watched from home. I drank a beer and sat in my seat. It was quite nice.

23Bison
10-20-2019, 03:40 AM
Well I just hope that was our 1 “loss” for the season and now we go into playoff mode and wreck everything in front of us.

bajadanny
10-20-2019, 03:55 AM

That is flipping wonderful

Now numb nuts on the broadcast can comment how good his team is!!

Bisonator98
10-20-2019, 04:03 AM
Lance has been off on quite a few throws lately, I mean way off, that's a little concerning.

Oline seemed to have issues today, false starts, missed assignments, just didn't seem mentally there today. Maybe it's the opponent but you don't want that happening at all, hopefully they learned a lesson in a win.

Gotta give MoState some credit, they played hard defensively. We're always going to get everyone's best effort.

Wins a win. Flush this one and move on to the bunnies!

HerdistheWord
10-20-2019, 04:10 AM
The teams we have previously beaten all won today: UND, Delaware, ISUr, UND, UC Davis. That can’t hurt our strength of schedule.

HerdBot
10-20-2019, 04:13 AM
Energy for this game sucked. Everyone knew we were going to win.

Defense was awesome. Offense had its moments but it was the worst performance of the year. It felt like they were trying to run the clock out the whole game. So many penalties or small errors screwed drives up. Just bad execution and generic play calling. Out 1st down offense was trash. Well fix it

EC8CH
10-20-2019, 04:15 AM
Im holding out hope they went with the most vanilla playbook 1 week ahead of @SDSU.

Pretty much this. Held out Tuzska. Shelved Brooks at half. Didn't have QB run scripted in the beginning. NDSU was holding back so much this game.

23Bison
10-20-2019, 04:15 AM
Lance has been off on quite a few throws lately, I mean way off, that's a little concerning.

Oline seemed to have issues today, false starts, missed assignments, just didn't seem mentally there today. Maybe it's the opponent but you don't want that happening at all, hopefully they learned a lesson in a win.

Gotta give MoState some credit, they played hard defensively. We're always going to get everyone's best effort.

Wins a win. Flush this one and move on to the bunnies!

What does “lately” mean in your comment? He has been rock solid. He was 21/31 tonight. That’s basically 68% on passing the ball for the game. Now it’s not the 70% like his season average but if that all that we can complain about for him then we’ll I guess that’s ok. He needs to be better. Just given you hell.

Gully
10-20-2019, 12:09 PM
What does “lately” mean in your comment? He has been rock solid. He was 21/31 tonight. That’s basically 68% on passing the ball for the game. Now it’s not the 70% like his season average but if that all that we can complain about for him then we’ll I guess that’s ok. He needs to be better. Just given you hell.

Exactly. Did Easton even have 68% completion for his CAREER? They'll be fine.

1998braves64
10-20-2019, 12:27 PM
I think concern is those 15-20% of the incompletions were no where close to the receiver. He had 4-5 balls that must of been 8-9 yards from closest receiver.

Everyone can have an off day though so...

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

scottietohottie
10-20-2019, 12:30 PM
I think concern is those 15-20% of the incompletions were no where close to the receiver. He had 4-5 balls that must of been 8-9 yards from closest receiver.

I know one of those if not 2 were do to pressure. Got a little rattled. Still concerning.

EC8CH
10-20-2019, 12:41 PM
I know one of those if not 2 were do to pressure. Got a little rattled. Still concerning.

Incomplete, but not intercepted... I'll allow it.

scottietohottie
10-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Was that indy bison reffing? The one that said we better review this do to pr? That was hilarious.

scottietohottie
10-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Let's not complain about officiating anymore. They read this!

Gully
10-20-2019, 12:51 PM
I think a few might have been "thrown away" as well. If it's not there, it's not there. Force it and it could have quickly been a one score game.

Professor Chaos
10-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Glass half empty: That performance against any of the last 3 teams the Bison played before this would've resulted in a loss.

Glass half full: That was definitely the right team to put up that stinker of a performance against and get it our of their system.

Glass half empty: If the O-line plays like that against SDSU (who has a much much much better front 7 than Missour St) they'll get beat by 2 TDs.

Glass half full: That O-line is going to be mad this week watching the film of them getting worked by a bad Missouri St front 7... that makes me smile about how they'll come out next Saturday.

VirginiaBison
10-20-2019, 02:25 PM
For how many of the 77 dressed, was this their first on field game experience? How many non-2 deep players made an appearance?

Bisonator98
10-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Yes those are the "way off" ones I was referring to, he's had a few of those the last few games. I'm very happy with Trey and maybe he's spoiled me by looking so good the first few games of season. Just seems his accuracy is a bit off at times, maybe it's some mechanical things or just growing pains. Hopefully he can eliminate some of those because you don't get those back against good teams.

CaBisonFan
10-20-2019, 03:23 PM
This had upset written all over it...but the Bison willed it not to happen...especially the defense.

westnodak93bison
10-20-2019, 08:35 PM
This had upset written all over it...but the Bison willed it not to happen...especially the defense.This one had ho hum,we are bored, let's get this over with written all over it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

thebootfitter
10-20-2019, 10:49 PM
The teams we have previously beaten all won today: UND, Delaware, ISUr, UND, UC Davis. That can’t hurt our strength of schedule.Depends on what you mean. Their respective Sagarin ratings could still decrease in a win if they don't win by enough points. Thus, our Sagarin and other computer model SoS may actually decrease when teams we beat win.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BisManBison
10-22-2019, 04:33 AM
Any updates on Mathis’ injury?

Professor Chaos
10-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Any updates on Mathis’ injury?
Pending an MRI but likely out this week: https://twitter.com/BisonReport/status/1186358788145762309?s=19

The fact that he's basically been ruled out without an MRI by Monday leads me to believe that he'll be out multiple weeks. Hopefully it's not any more serious than that.