PDA

View Full Version : Womens BB New beginning

imabison
09-26-2019, 06:43 PM
There was a tweet from NDSU Womens Basketball that the NDSU women were now practicing for the 1st season under
new head coach Jory Collins.

Also saw a tweet looking for Mens basketball players to practice against the womens team.
Pretty sure this is very common.

Go Bison!!
The new beginning!!!

THEsocalledfan
09-26-2019, 06:50 PM
What we really need is Gene Roebuck...../purple

imabison
09-26-2019, 07:56 PM
What we really need is Gene Roebuck...../purple

Not catching the significance even thought its purple...Amy Ruley used men to practice against the
women during her era also.

BadlandsBison
09-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Why are they specifying a gender identity for practice partners? Will there be a "gender test' before practice begins? Simply barbaric.

BisonAccountant44
09-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Not catching the significance even thought its purple...Amy Ruley used men to practice against the
women during her era also.

I know a guy that used to practice against the Lynx, and Pat Summit had men practice against her teams as well. I thought it was standard.

BisonVifte
09-26-2019, 09:14 PM
The women have used men for practice for years.

Gully
09-27-2019, 01:04 AM
Why are they specifying a gender identity for practice partners? Will there be a "gender test' before practice begins? Simply barbaric.

I doubt there are too many females on campus who aren't already on the team that would be competitive. They're trying to improve by playing against better athletes. Very common practice.

BadlandsBison
09-27-2019, 03:03 PM
I doubt there are too many females on campus who aren't already on the team that would be competitive. They're trying to improve by playing against better athletes. Very common practice.

I'm a woman AND a better athlete!

imabison
09-27-2019, 03:17 PM

And I am sure if you contact Alyssa.rushton@NDSU.EDU and if they can use your assistance they will.
from @NDSUwbb on twitter.

Gully
09-27-2019, 06:50 PM

Good for you. You can probably help them out in that case. In general, however, I don't think they can find enough women that can present a challenge to those on the squad and that's why they reach out to guys on campus.

ByeSonBusiness
09-28-2019, 01:02 AM
I know a guy that used to practice against the Lynx, and Pat Summit had men practice against her teams as well. I thought it was standard.

It is standard at ndsu. Some of my friends practiced against the women in college.

NDSU92
09-28-2019, 12:01 PM

The women should’ve already had their tryouts for walkons to make the team. I think if a lady doesn’t make the team but is good enough, they’ll ask her to stick around for practices. They may be speculating that if someone was willing to be a practice player they would’ve tried out for the actual team itself? Men can’t try out, so hence the tweet.

That all being said, I believe there was a girl a decade back or so that didn’t go to tryouts for the team but tried out to be a practice player. The team ended up taking her on as a walk-on and she played on the team for a year.

imabison
10-03-2019, 02:58 AM
Received my season tickets today for men and women's basketball.

Buffalo.Rider
10-23-2019, 03:16 PM

Not sure the point of this discussion.

Buffalo.Rider
10-23-2019, 03:21 PM

Good for you. You can probably help them out in that case. In general, however, I don't think they can find enough women that can present a challenge to those on the squad and that's why they reach out to guys on campus.

In my past ... an acquaintance and friend, a woman, asked me to play volleyball against her and a friend of hers. It was two men against two women. We men got our clock cleaned. They were really good. We men were not trying to prove anything, we were doing it for fun, neither of us had any volleyball experience other than in gym classes and pickup games here and there. The two women, however, had played for Nebraska's volleyball team. I was really impressed. Lots of talent, really good teamwork, left a very positive impression on me.

(I have no idea if they practiced against men at Nebraska. All I know is they were really good, and WAY better than I was).

Gully
10-24-2019, 12:52 AM
In my past ... an acquaintance and friend, a woman, asked me to play volleyball against her and a friend of hers. It was two men against two women. We men got our clock cleaned. They were really good. We men were not trying to prove anything, we were doing it for fun, neither of us had any volleyball experience other than in gym classes and pickup games here and there. The two women, however, had played for Nebraska's volleyball team. I was really impressed. Lots of talent, really good teamwork, left a very positive impression on me.

(I have no idea if they practiced against men at Nebraska. All I know is they were really good, and WAY better than I was).

That's cool. I don't really know anything about VB but you mentioned you hadn't played competitively, so I'm not sure if that's comparable or not.

When I was in college we played the women's basketball team (which was a very good women's team, BTW) out on the courts by Pavek hall. It wasn't close. They were much, much slower than a bunch of us non-athlete guys. That's not a criticism, it's just different. I went to the women's games as much as the men's games and cheered them on, they were great in the 90s and fun to watch. I'm just saying it's not even comparable and that's why women's teams often look for college guys to practice against, so they can face some good competition that will prepare them for games.

SlickVic
10-24-2019, 01:01 AM
That's cool. I don't really know anything about VB but you mentioned you hadn't played competitively, so I'm not sure if that's comparable or not.

When I was in college we played the women's basketball team (which was a very good women's team, BTW) out on the courts by Pavek hall. It wasn't close. They were much, much slower than a bunch of us non-athlete guys. That's not a criticism, it's just different. I went to the women's games as much as the men's games and cheered them on, they were great in the 90s and fun to watch. I'm just saying it's not even comparable and that's why women's teams often look for college guys to practice against, so they can face some good competition that will prepare them for games.

^ how gully recalls it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV84ha3uEGg

^how it really went down on the courts by pavek hall lmfao

Gully
10-24-2019, 12:57 PM
^ how gully recalls it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV84ha3uEGg

^how it really went down on the courts by pavek hall lmfao

Slick! I haven't seen you for a couple of years. Remembering the chest bumping days in Sioux Falls at teh BB tourney!

El_Chapo
10-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Gonna have to wait until NEXT year when Heaven is actually eligible to play point guard. Word has it, Vinnie has been ballin with her on the court and she's dam good baller

Mr Meaty
10-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Gonna have to wait until NEXT year when Heaven is actually eligible to play point guard. Word has it, Vinnie has been ballin with her on the court and she's dam good baller

Is it sage to assume that the rest of the team will be playing and no one "red shirting". Heaven is out do to transfer correct?
There is some nice height on the team. Hope these ladies can turn the corner and improve. If a team is not contending for a conference title, one of the ways to measure success is, does the team improve throughout the season. If they are better at the end vs at the beginning is a good sign. They better be better than they have been, period.

Mr Pep Band
10-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Is it sage to assume that the rest of the team will be playing and no one "red shirting". Heaven is out do to transfer correct?
There is some nice height on the team. Hope these ladies can turn the corner and improve. If a team is not contending for a conference title, one of the ways to measure success is, does the team improve throughout the season. If they are better at the end vs at the beginning is a good sign. They better be better than they have been, period.

I don't think being better than the last 8 years should be that big of a challenge. But then again, we've said that before with other teams.:hide:

So simply sit back and watch for now.

TAILG8R
10-31-2019, 03:15 PM
Some pretty telling comments in this article on Bison Report (https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/Article/Emotion-Change-Hope-Inside-the-dawn-of-the-Jory-Collins-era-137756050).

"At first, it was kind of scary, because you had no idea what to expect,” said Nudell. “Then afterward, we were like, 'oh, this is probably how a real Division I practice should be run.' It was comforting in coming to the realization that this is how it's going to be."

Mr Meaty
10-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Some pretty telling comments in this article on Bison Report (https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/Article/Emotion-Change-Hope-Inside-the-dawn-of-the-Jory-Collins-era-137756050).

"At first, it was kind of scary, because you had no idea what to expect,” said Nudell. “Then afterward, we were like, 'oh, this is probably how a real Division I practice should be run.' It was comforting in coming to the realization that this is how it's going to be."

That sounds great that the players are all buying in to what the new staff wants to do. They sound committed to turning this around and now need to go compete to do it. This season is going to be exciting for the players, coaches and fans. Go Bison.

bisonpride4ever
10-31-2019, 04:17 PM

"At first, it was kind of scary, because you had no idea what to expect,” said Nudell. “Then afterward, we were like, 'oh, this is probably how a real Division I practice should be run.' It was comforting in coming to the realization that this is how it's going to be."I was coming here say the same thing. That is a pretty messed up comment and it really makes you hope things can finally turn around.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

SlickVic
11-01-2019, 03:07 AM

Lmfao, good riddance whatever your name was whoused 2 coach the team (I'm drawing a blank)______good luck "Jordy"' dont 4get about Amy! She's always there 2 help u son!

imabison
11-02-2019, 04:20 AM
Well if you base an opinion on 1 game, it will be a long season, but I am sure he will improve the defense. I looked around, almost expecting to see Walseth sitting watching the team she is getting paid to not coach...

NDSU92
11-02-2019, 07:44 AM
Well if you base an opinion on 1 game, it will be a long season, but I am sure he will improve the defense. I looked around, almost expecting to see Walseth sitting watching the team she is getting paid to not coach...

Dude idk if you’ve been watching the last ten years but a 37 point win over ANYONE is a good step forward, especially with a new coaching staff. Last year we would’ve been lucky to win by double digits.

We beat Mayville State by 6 last year

Mr Meaty
11-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Dude idk if you’ve been watching the last ten years but a 37 point win over ANYONE is a good step forward, especially with a new coaching staff. Last year we would’ve been lucky to win by double digits.

We beat Mayville State by 6 last year

I was not at the game but followed it on the radio. It appeared in the second half we rebounded better. Shot over 55% for the game and after a 0-6 start on 3's at 43%. As mentioned out rebounded them by 14. Had 14 turnovers and that needs to better, but last year they probably averaged 20 a game. I see many bright spots after just one game and this is going to be a solid year for the program.

El_Chapo
11-02-2019, 02:55 PM
that #5 freshman w 18 points looked sharp

Sharptail
11-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Second half showed focus and improvement in the two aspects that were troubling during the first half: fronting up and blocking out. Hence the tale of two halves. Positive development: moving well without the ball, resulting in easy buckets. Also, Cobbins is a ballplayer. Does not look like a freshman out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mr Meaty
11-02-2019, 04:01 PM
that #5 freshman w 18 points looked sharp

New faces it look for Cobbins and Scales to help this team with the returning players VanGool looked good as well.

JohnnyExtacy
11-02-2019, 04:11 PM
The coach is trying to change an entire decade + of a losing and incompetent basketball culture. I don't think you can read anything out of 1 game regardless of who it's played against and what the result is. I would expect the team to struggle all year and finish with a subpar record again, but the most important thing is how the team competes on a given night and its flow throughout the season. If it has better results in the 2nd half of conference play then that should be a good indication that the program is stepping in the right direction. Hope he can turn it around he seems to be doing things the right way.

Elephants Dream?
11-07-2019, 12:31 AM
@ UNI
8-24 after 1st, 30-48 at half.
All the same problems we've talked about for years.
Too many turnovers, not enough defense, lack of talent, etc.
Thankfully it's only the first game. Lots of work to do in the future.

NDSU92
11-07-2019, 01:14 AM
I don’t think anyone has any misconceptions, this is a full multi-year rebuild.

For this year I would honestly just like to see the following:

-Out-hustle our opponents
-Better team defense
-More team awareness

There’s a lot of low hanging fruit we can improve upon before coaching, growth, recruiting all catch up

Elephants Dream?
11-07-2019, 01:31 AM
63-95 Final.

Bisonionette
11-07-2019, 03:54 AM
Roster needs to be turned over. Need to turn the page, cut loose euro players who have no concept of defense. I'm sure this coach will rebuild this team the right way.

Mr Meaty
11-07-2019, 12:12 PM
This is a tough way to start. Since Brooke LeMar left we have not had a solid point guard to handle ball pressure.

roadwarrior
11-07-2019, 12:38 PM
There are four freshmen on the roster. Walseth signed three of them in the early signing period last November: Nicole Scales, Emily Behnke, and Olivia Skibiel. Coach Collins was hired after the spring signing date and he brought in Ryan Cobbins. Cobbins is in the starting five and has made an impact already. Coach Collins also brought in two transfers: Heaven Hamling from Stephen F Austin and Marie Olson from SMU. They both have to sit out a year due to transfer rules and will be sophomores next season.

I don't see a huge turnaround in year one. Let's hope the coaching staff can improve the skills of the existing players enough to win some games.

Mr Meaty
11-07-2019, 12:42 PM
There are four freshmen on the roster. Walseth signed three of them in the early signing period last November: Nicole Scales, Emily Behnke, and Olivia Skibiel. Coach Collins was hired after the spring signing date and he brought in Ryan Cobbins. Cobbins is in the starting five and has made an impact already. Coach Collins also brought in two transfers: Heaven Hamling from Stephen F Austin and Marie Olson from SMU. They both have to sit out a year due to transfer rules and will be sophomores next season.

I don't see a huge turnaround in year one. Let's hope the coaching staff can improve the skills of the existing players enough to win some games.

Baby steps this year. I did not watch or listen to last nights game but I am planning on attending a few this year. Wish there were more double headers on Saturdays.

imabison
11-07-2019, 12:47 PM

The ESPN+ announcers near the end of game said they felt NDSU will win some games in the Summit.

El_Chapo
11-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Yes road is correct again. HEAVEN help us. shes been killing it in scrimmages she legit point guard that can shoot

Bisonionette
11-07-2019, 05:08 PM
This is a tough way to start. Since Brooke LeMar left we have not had a solid point guard to handle ball pressure.

We were actually decent her senior year, started 5-2 in conference, Beat a really good ORU and Jacks. But for whatever reason...finished 7-9 in conference

Mr Meaty
11-07-2019, 05:44 PM
We were actually decent her senior year, started 5-2 in conference, Beat a really good ORU and Jacks. But for whatever reason...finished 7-9 in conference

Walseth!!!!!

HerdBot
11-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Roster needs to be turned over. Need to turn the page, cut loose euro players who have no concept of defense. I'm sure this coach will rebuild this team the right way.

He wasnt handed the keys to a Cadillac. He was handed the keys to a junker that has a rag for a gas cap and a broken windshield.

He will turn it around but its going to take a few years

Elephants Dream?
11-16-2019, 05:48 AM
Sad day when there's no posts from a game...….. Shows how low the program has sunk.
I can't think of any hi-lights from the Valpo game. They are picked down low in their conference, too.
Bison scored 6 in the second quarter. 19-20 turnovers. There's no offense from the Bison second string.

Mr Meaty
11-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Sad day when there's no posts from a game...….. Shows how low the program has sunk.
I can't think of any hi-lights from the Valpo game. They are picked down low in their conference, too.
Bison scored 6 in the second quarter. 19-20 turnovers. There's no offense from the Bison second string.
Going to take a couple years to turn around his ship.

56BISON73
11-16-2019, 06:35 PM
Going to take a couple years to turn around his ship.

Just what I was thinking.

Bisonator98
11-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Pretty ugly. Was one of the few games they had a chance to win this year too.

El_Chapo
11-17-2019, 04:22 AM

zzzzzz. congrats on the salary jory

bisoneer
11-24-2019, 01:26 AM
Hey Jory, hang in there!!

Mr Meaty
01-02-2020, 12:47 AM
Reagan Heun has left the team and went back home to Texas. Saw a tweet on this .

roadwarrior
01-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Reagan Heun has left the team and went back home to Texas. Saw a tweet on this .

Her name doesn't appear in season statistics as even appearing in any game.

Mr Meaty
01-02-2020, 12:22 PM
She played a bit last year and got hurt. But yes I do not believe she got in a game this year. Conference play tonight for both men and women. Lets pickup two wins tonight. I will be making the trip down for mens game. Listen to women's game while I drive down.

oldmantutters
01-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Wish her luck with whatever is next for her. It's pretty clear that the talent that was on the roster that was recruited by the previous regime was....lacking(?), so this gives Jory another scholarship to work with sooner.

bisonfan08
01-02-2020, 04:43 PM
Wish her luck with whatever is next for her. It's pretty clear that the talent that was on the roster that was recruited by the previous regime was....lacking(?), so this gives Jory another scholarship to work with sooner.

Exactly this. Best of luck to her in the future for sure, fairly evident she wasn't going to be a big part of the plans here so giving Jory another scholarship to bring in some talent is a good thing for the program. Based on his recruiting and coaching efforts so far I think our women's program is in good hands for a change.

JohnnyExtacy
01-02-2020, 11:57 PM
I don't follow the women's program much or really care too, my wife is a blowhard and loves to follow from a distance. It is pretty clear when you watch them play that the talent issue is pretty significant. As far being coached up it looks like the new coaching staff has put a really good structure and system in place. The system in place really gets the players in good position to score, the problem is they don't have the individual talent to execute. If the new coaching staff can recruit in any way, the program appears to be in really good hands. You don't get the sense of dysfunction when watching them play.

Bisonator98
01-03-2020, 12:33 AM
Tough loss for the women tonight, 79-78 in 2 OT's.

semobison
01-03-2020, 02:50 AM
Tough loss for the women tonight, 79-78 in 2 OT's.

They had a chance to put the game away twice but couldn't make their free throws!

bri-dog
01-03-2020, 05:22 AM
I don't follow the women's program much or really care too, my wife is a blowhard and loves to follow from a distance. It is pretty clear when you watch them play that the talent issue is pretty significant. As far being coached up it looks like the new coaching staff has put a really good structure and system in place. The system in place really gets the players in good position to score, the problem is they don't have the individual talent to execute. If the new coaching staff can recruit in any way, the program appears to be in really good hands. You don't get the sense of dysfunction when watching them play.

I think you may have meant "diehard". Or maybe not, I dunno... :)

Mr Meaty
01-03-2020, 12:17 PM
They had a chance to put the game away twice but couldn't make their free throws!

Sometimes it comes down to the most simple play in basketball. Got to make the freebies...Tough loss but still like what Coach Jory is doing.

Bison"FANatic"
01-03-2020, 01:30 PM
Talk about a frustrating stretch of basketball. Turn overs, missed free throws and horrendous shooting from outside the 3 point line and they gave that game away. I had not turned on a Bison women's game in quite a while, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the girls were put in position to succeed and plays were there and drawn up well, execution was just not where it needs to be.

imabison
01-03-2020, 02:13 PM
Talk about a frustrating stretch of basketball. Turn overs, missed free throws and horrendous shooting from outside the 3 point line and they gave that game away. I had not turned on a Bison women's game in quite a while, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the girls were put in position to succeed and plays were there and drawn up well, execution was just not where it needs to be.

Just think, if this was a Walseth coached team, and when NDSU fell behind, that would have been the score at half, and remained the same. Now they fight back.

Mr Meaty
01-03-2020, 03:20 PM
Just think, if this was a Walseth coached team, and when NDSU fell behind, that would have been the score at half, and remained the same. Now they fight back.

Exactly, They play a lot harder than they have. Just need to execute better and the wins will come.

bisonfan08
01-03-2020, 04:20 PM

Just saw on twitter this morning she was immediately eligible and played her first game for Tarleton State (played 14 minutes, scored 5 points) who is currently D2 but transitioning to D1 beginning in July. Sounds like she landed in a great spot.

Side note is Tarleton State will be joining the WAC for all sports except football which will become and FCS independent. 2 Straight undefeated regular seasons in football, could be a nice addition to FCS. Completely off topic I know but just a tidbit of info I learned this morning.

tony
01-03-2020, 06:23 PM
Man, when they got up 5 in the 2nd OT, I thought they had this thing won... but no lead is safe if you can't hit FTs.

imabison
01-03-2020, 06:41 PM
Man, when they got up 5 in the 2nd OT, I thought they had this thing won... but no lead is safe if you can't hit FTs.

Correct or have the right ball handler, or make a last second shot on the ob play...Many reasons, however they are on the right track.

runtheoption
01-03-2020, 06:53 PM
Correct or have the right ball handler, or make a last second shot on the ob play...Many reasons, however they are on the right track.

That last out-of-bounds play that Coach drew up in the final timeout was a thing of beauty. The players executed it very well, and Nudell had a clean look.

Bisonionette
01-06-2020, 05:51 PM
This will get fixed, so long as our new coach can recruit and coach. We haven't had anyone who can dribble and play defense since Brooke. I am hopeful that our coach is looking at those attributes first. Unlike MW who blindly goes off the continent to grab players who have zero concept of defense.

El_Chapo
01-09-2020, 03:35 AM
Another L at ORU tonight . and 4 more losses upcoming until they play IPFW.

NDSU is 1-12 and will be 1-16.

1 win by 6 vs a 3-11 new hampshire.

Not getting better, but maybe this year is about building only. bisonette?

HuskerBizon
01-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Another L at ORU tonight . and 4 more losses upcoming until they play IPFW.

NDSU is 1-12 and will be 1-16.

1 win by 6 vs a 3-11 new hampshire.

Not getting better, but maybe this year is about building only. bisonette?

Are you delusional? Wait I forgot who I'm talking to, of course you are. If you can't see this team is getting better, stop what ever you're taking! Last year we were blown out by most of the Summit, Oral Roberts was one of them on the road (101-72). This year they lose by 8.

As many have stated before, Jory is doing a fantastic job with what he has.

Bisonionette
01-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Are you delusional? Wait I forgot who I'm talking to, of course you are. If you can't see this team is getting better, stop what ever you're taking! Last year we were blown out by most of the Summit, Oral Roberts was one of them on the road (101-72). This year they lose by 8.

As many have stated before, Jory is doing a fantastic job with what he has.

Its hard to turn MW recruits into actual D1 players. It should turn to W's as his players are integrated into the team. Obviously these players have limited skill sets and even with that, they just can't play defense. And thats where competive BB starts on that end.

Bisonator98
01-09-2020, 04:28 PM
I think we will see the difference in wins/losses starting next season. Jory's doing a good job with what he has to work with this year IMO. Just watching someone actually coaching on the sideline compared to last season is night and day. MW didn't have a clue.

Mr Meaty
01-09-2020, 04:50 PM
I think we will see the difference in wins/losses starting next season. Jory's doing a good job with what he has to work with this year IMO. Just watching someone actually coaching on the sideline compared to last season is night and day. MW didn't have a clue.

100% agree

roadwarrior
01-09-2020, 06:55 PM
The games are watchable this year. Unfortunately, many close losses. We could have won the western Illinois, northern Illinois, and Wisconsin games with just one more basket.