PDA

View Full Version : Update on Lamar Gordon

mikelsch
06-15-2005, 05:18 PM
From: http://www.miamifootball365.com/dolphins/june-dolphins-minicamp130605.shtml

News and notes from Dolphins mini-camp

-Ronnie Brown did not look impressive. In fact, Nick Saban intimated that he would like to see more of a mean streak in him.

-Lamar Gordon was by far the most impressive back in this weekend's practices. He outperformed Ronnie Brown and the other backs in most facets of the game.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/11870630.htm

"Running back Lamar Gordon, who is expected to be a backup behind rookie Ronnie Brown and/or veteran Ricky Williams, also opened practice with the first unit."

Running backs on the Dolphins roster

Ronnie Brown (rookie)
Lamar Gordon
Sammy Morris
Travis Minor
Kay-Jay Harris (rookie)
(Ricky Williams)

2004 RUSHING
NAME ATT. YDS. AVG. LG TD
S. Morris 132 523 4.0 35t 6
T. Minor 109 388 3.6 34 3
L. Gordon 35 64 1.8 11 0

Lamar has a great shot at seeing significant playing time if Ricky Williams does not return, or even while he serves his drug suspension. Ronnie Brown will be the starter because of his high draft position. Of course with Lamar, health has been his biggest limiting factor. In any case, their O line sucked last year and must improve for anyone to be successful.

kchats
06-15-2005, 06:59 PM
I think Lamar has been injured his entire NFL career. He hurt the ankle he had surgery on during his Senior season at NDSU and I don't think it ever healed properly. He finally had it repaired last year and got traded to Miami where he got killed behind the Ole' offensive line. I hope he stays healthy and earns alot of playing time.

Till
06-17-2005, 01:38 AM
There's also a good video interview with Lamar following a Mini Camp practice on June 11 available at http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/dolphins/demand/Gordon_MiniCamp_Saturday.rm&proto=rtsp

Lamar seems really well spoken and handles the questions like a mature guy who's seen his ups and downs in the league.

gwendel
06-23-2005, 02:40 PM
More hopeful news for Lamar:

http://www.miamifootball365.com/dolphins/2nd-tier-rbs220605.shtml

JBB
06-23-2005, 06:40 PM
He could end up with the Vikes! :D

BisonMav
06-23-2005, 07:18 PM

Yikes :o

Big_BisonFan
06-23-2005, 07:35 PM
He could end up with the Vikes! *

I am all for that idea. It would be odd to see Lamar and Jimmy on the same team, but that would be awesome. I thought the Vikes should have drafted him in the first place.

I am not sure the vikes will deal for him, they have 3 talented running backs as it is. However, I have never thought bennett was good other than being fast, moore is very shifty but needs to be more durable, and fason is untested, but some say promising rookie. *with that said, i think it would be a long shot for them to pick up Lamar.

Green-N-Gold
06-23-2005, 08:13 PM

Let's not denigrate the green and gold with that crappy purple. Please.

mikelsch
06-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Let's not denigrate the green and gold with that crappy purple. *Please.

Exactly. Kleinsausage gives me another reason to dislike the Vikings. I don't want to see Lamar playing for the purple.

Green-N-Gold
06-28-2005, 04:59 PM
ditto! Jimmy is a great fit for the Queens.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-28-2005, 05:06 PM
The Vikes have been working on sets with 5 wide. 3 receivers left and The Sauce and Wiggins split out right. That would be pretty fun to see Wiggins catch the ball with the Sauce lead blocking against some DB types!

gwendel
07-18-2005, 09:14 PM
NFL.com reports that Lamar Gordon, completely healed from last year's injury, is "in the best shape of his life," and due to unusual circumstances at Miami, could be the starting running back early in the season:

"It's possible that Gordon -- whom Miami dealt a third-round draft pick for one year ago -- could wind up with the bulk of Miami's carries early in the season, until Brown learns the offense and Williams is reinstated."

Full story at:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8648512

mikelsch
07-26-2005, 08:23 PM
ESPN's John Clayton is reporting that the Jacksonville Jaguars might be interested in trading for Lamar Gordon. In return, Miami could recoup a draft pick to make up for the one they sent to St. Louis last season.

Lamar's future in Miami is quite cloudy (no pun intended) with the return of Ricky Williams; and with the addition of first round draft pick Ronnie Brown. Williams probably won't be with Miami at the end of this year if his stock increases, and if Brown has a good year. If Lamar stays, he could stick around as Brown's backup. If he goes to Jacksonville, he would back-up Fred Taylor who had offseason knee surgery.

Whatever the case, Lamar has the skills to be a great #2 RB in the NFL if (big IF) he stays healthy.

gwendel
07-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Here's an insightful article on Lamar's situation from Floridaytoday.com

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050726/SPORTS/507260329

Regarding the potential trade with Jacksonville, this sports writer says Gordon wants to stay with Miami. He feels he's healthy for the first time, knows the playbook and is ready to play. He is quoted as commenting:

"If that comes up (the trade) ill just take it and be ready, but I really don't want to go nowhere right now. I want to stay here," Gordon said of the trade rumors. "I know the offense right now. I'm just ready to play soon. We got the first game in a year and I just want to play."

And right now, Lamar is relishing being #1 on the depth chart and working out with the number one offense while Ricky Williams languishes at #2 and Ronnie Brown is still negotiating his multi-million $ contract. Of course Ricky is still being spanked for abandoning the team. But because he doesn't know the playbook, because he faces a 4-game suspension after the regular season starts and because he is 30 lbs. too light, Lamar is poised to see some playing time early on.

It's perhaps his best chance yet to prove himself. Hope he can do it.

gwendel
08-04-2005, 11:38 PM
According to Miami Herald sports writer Armando Salguero, Lamar Gordon is poised to start as halfback Monday night against the Chicago Bears in the Hall of Fame Game. Ricky Williams is still listed 4th on the depth chart, but certainly will see some action Monday. Ronnie Brown is still haggling his signing bonus.

So Lamar and Sammy Morris have an opportunity to show they can be dependable, too, even after Williams and Brown take over.

When the Dolphins unveil their new look on prime time Monday night, the starting halfback will be . . . Lamar Gordon.

Full story at:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/12298223.htm

Free registration required.

NDSUfb
08-05-2005, 02:27 AM
anyone have any injury updates on the bison players that got hurt last year?? ryan parsons qb, dan dardis dl, tyler roehl fb, derek arndt te???

Flintstone
08-05-2005, 02:59 AM
Parsons looked good in the spring game. He is really quick and throws a nice ball. If I remember right, he hurt his ankle in the game, but it didn't appear to be really serious.

Bison_Dan
08-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Parsons looked good in the spring game. *He is really quick and throws a nice ball. *If I remember right, he hurt his ankle in the game, but it didn't appear to be really serious.

I agree - Parsons looked great. He looks like Walker only has great wheels. The D couldn't catch him in the spring game.

JBB
08-05-2005, 01:32 PM
NDSUfb,

It reported in todays Forum that Dan Dardis left the team, and the game. *Its the end of an outstanding career for one of The West Fargo Packer all time great players.

gwendel
08-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Lamar Gordon should be starting and seeing lots of playing time on Mon. as the Miami Dolphins open their season against the Chicago Bears in the Hall of Fame Game at Canton, OH. It is also ABC Sports' first Mon. Night Football game for the season. Air time is 7:00 PM CDT.

mikelsch
08-08-2005, 05:08 PM
From ESPN's Len Pasquarelli observations at Dolphins camp:

"One guy who has pretty good feet, even with cleats on, is Lamar Gordon, who looks like the best among a very deep running back corps at this point. The fourth-year veteran, acquired from St. Louis last year in a trade when the Dolphins tried to spackle the dike after Williams' abrupt departure, is a very, very solid back. Too bad an injury scuttled Gordon's 2004 season and limited him to only three games, because he might have allowed Miami to slam the door on Williams' face this spring when he asked to return. Gordon has deceptive power, and a little glide to him, and is bigger and stouter than he initially appears.

There's all kinds of speculation the Dolphins will trade Williams once he gets into shape and they showcase him in the preseason games. The bet here is the Dolphins will get more inquiries (possibly from Jacksonville) about Gordon."

Gamehunter
08-08-2005, 11:44 PM
What is his number?

Bisonguy
08-09-2005, 12:28 AM
What is his number?

Don't forget- coach Babich will be on the opposing sideline!

sambini
08-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Looking forward to seeing Lamar and Bob on the tube tonite.

Big_BisonFan
08-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Miami's O-Line sucks as it did last year. Gordon, Ricky, and Morris all look about the same. Gordon has missed blocking a few guys though.

gwendel
08-09-2005, 04:06 PM
If Lamar is going to do anything with Miami or get a real shot with another team, he has to make a strong showing either in the preseason or the first four games when Ricky is sidelined. He didn't do that last night.

RUSHING
Miami: S. Morris 6-19, T. Minor 6-15, R. Williams 5-8, S. Rosenfels 1-2, L. Gordon 3-(-1), K. Harris 1-(-2)

On the upside, Gordon did almost as good as Ricky Williams. On the downside, he let Sammy Morris and Travis Minor upstage him. (Well, he maybe didn't "let" them, but they did.) Looks like Miami's offensive line is starting out like last year's lackluster performance. Coach Saban said his offensive line didn't open any running lanes for any of the running backs.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
08-09-2005, 05:31 PM
The Dolphins O is going to struggle again this year. Feeley vs. Frerotte? Come on! It looks like they won't showcase Ricky through the pre-season, but what they need is Ronny Brown to get into camp. After last night Brown has more leverage seeing that the backs they currently have couldn't get it done. No doubt he'll have trouble too, with the guys they have on that team, but at least he has potential.

Gordon didn't look very good last night, but then again no one did against a stingy Bears' D. I look for him to be traded, possibly before the regular season. Hopefully he can do better on a better team.

mikelsch
08-09-2005, 06:52 PM
It's hard to look good when you only play 2 non-consecutive) series and only carry the ball 3 times behind a crappy offensive line. None of their backs looked good. But I do agree that Lamar needs to start showing that he is as good in games as you hear about in practice. He's got 4 more preseason games to show his value.

gwendel
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
LOST WEEKEND

This from the Miami Sun-Sentinel:

Running back Lamar Gordon had a tough weekend, and not just because he fumbled a handoff that led to a Jacksonville touchdown in Saturday night's game.

Gordon's Cadillac Escalade was stolen from the parking lot that players use at the hotel where the team stays during training camp. The lot is manned by security, which the Dolphins say will be upgraded this weekend when the team is in Pittsburgh.

silkamilkamonico
08-19-2005, 03:58 AM
Gordon must be in Saban's doghouse or something....

He has slipped behind Rickey Williams, Travis Minor, and Sammy Morris on the depth chart.

And Ronnie Brown has now signed with the team also.

Maybe Saban will do him a favor and just release him. He's better off away from a $hitty team like Miami anyways,

gwendel
08-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Looks like Lamar is going to have a tougher and tougher time proving himself.

Comments prior to tonight's game Miami vs. Steelers:

Robert Henderson, Miami Dolphins Bahamian Website:

The thing to look at most will be the running back battle between Lamar Gordon and Sammy Morris. It looks as if Morris has the heads up since he is listed as the starter on the depth chart and Gordon has been dropped to third string after initially being designated as the starter. These two are essentially battling it out for the third-string running back spot behind Brown and Ricky Williams. Travis Minor will probably be kept as a fourth running back with a primary job of returning kickoffs and playing punt coverage.

Dolphins Training Camp Report, Miami Sun-Sentinel:

Lamar Gordon has gone from the first team to an afterthought.

sambini
08-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Someone will pick him up right?

SDbison
08-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Someone will pick him up right?
Hopefully. Maybe Lamar can do well enough in the next game for some other team to see his potential. Miami still has the worst run blocking team in the NFL. One thing I don't get is if Lamar was ever really a #1 back. A #1 back doesn't get to start for a series and a half and then get pulled. On all but one of the few carries he got there were two or three defenders in the backfield upon getting the handoff. Even the best running backs would be dropped for a loss in those situations. Somehow Lamar needs some luck and fortune to get out of Miami. If not, I am afraid he is done with the NFL real soon.

silkamilkamonico
08-21-2005, 06:38 AM
It's already rumored that Jacksonville is interested in Gordon. There was some talk in Miami of possibly trading Lamar, but there's no way that will pan out now.

I hope he just gets released. It would be in his best interest, he doesn't have any kind of future in Miami anyways.

Sambini hit it right on the head, Lamar didn't get much of a chance at all to really show anything during the preseason games. He didn't get as many plays as the other RB's in both games.

There must be other issues there that has happened during camp.

gwendel
08-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Well, Miami took it on the chin again.

It wasn't a stellar performance by any means, but one bright spot is that Lamar led the pack of RBs last night:

L. Gordon * * *2 * * *16 * * *0 * * *12
S. Morris * * *3 * * *10 * * *0 * * *11
R. Williams * * *5 * * *9 * * *0 * * *8
T. Minor * * *3 * * *6 * * *0 * * *3
A. Feeley * * *1 * * *2 * * *0 * * *2
G. Frerotte * * *1 * * *0 * * *0 * * *0

Ricky Williams had been slowly getting his stride back. But look at his numbers in this game: 5 attempts, 9 yds. With numbers like this across the board, you know the offensive line can't be doing its job. In receiving, Gordon, Morris, Williams and Minor all got one reception for short yardage. You're right: Gordon always has *fewer attempts than anyone else, but not by a lot. Ricky gets about double the other two RBs, but I feel Saban is using Morris, Minor and Gordon about the same amount. Saban has always said in preseason there is no real first string. He expected to rotate and has. After last night's game Lamar still has as good a shot as Morris and Minor and pulling down the third RB spot, maybe even 2nd if spoiled brat, overpaid rookie Brown doesn't pan out. I expect Brown will get a real work out next week.

Till
08-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Heard rumors that injuries have Philadelphia looking towards Miami's stable of RB's for a possible trade in the next couple weeks. The names most brought up were Sammy Moris and...you guessed it....Lamar Gordon.

I would be pumped to see Lamar end up playing for the Birds. A good O-line to run behind...at long last.

Just a rumor so far though.

BismarckBison
08-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Posted in the Miami Herald today:

The Dolphins have begun exploring options on trading running back Lamar Gordon, but have not had any serious discussions because it is still too early in camp.

Beyond that, Gordon still is expected to make the team for at least the first four games if the Dolphins can't get suitable compensation for him. The Dolphins are expected to be without running back Ricky Williams for the first four games as he serves a suspension from the NFL.

However, the Dolphins are expected to exhaust all options in trying to deal Gordon, even if they get only a sixth-round pick.

Gordon, whom the Dolphins acquired a year ago from St. Louis for a third-round pick, is going into the final year of his contract and is not expected to be back with the team next season.

Between Williams and No. 2 overall pick Ronnie Brown, Gordon is unlikely to get significant playing time now or in the future. Beyond that, the Dolphins consider versatile running back Travis Minor a better all-around player.

Minor, who attended Florida State, re-signed with the Dolphins for one year after not getting much attention as a free agent. He is considered a sound third-down back and a good special-teams player.

Gordon's agent, Neil Schwartz, did not comment on a possible trade.

silkamilkamonico
08-26-2005, 06:05 AM
This is crazy.

Something must have happened with Lamar.

There is no way a guy who is traded for a second round pick, comes into the season with a possible chance to start, and 2 weeks later is just kicked to the curb and pretty much begged to be taken away from Miami by the organization.

I would be curious to know if there was some kind of incident.

If he just isn't good enough why was he receiving praise from the coaching staff early in training camp, as well as NFL analysts and insiders>

gwendel
08-26-2005, 01:16 PM
I don't get the feeling Miami is throwing Gordon to the wolves. I think this quote from the article above probably summarizes the Dolphins' appraisal of Gordon:

Between Williams and No. 2 overall pick Ronnie Brown, Gordon is unlikely to get significant playing time now or in the future. Beyond that, the Dolphins consider versatile running back Travis Minor a better all-around player.

Even though they traded a third round draft pick to get Gordon a year ago, he was really a pretty cheap investment obtained in a desperation move. It didn't work out. Now Miami is deep with RBs and Lamar doesn't fit in any more.

But there are indications that Miami is holding out with Lamar to get good value out of him. Which means they believe he has value. Also, other teams keep expressing interest in him, which means they think he has value.

I just hope he gets on with a team that has a good O line so he has a chance.

kchats
08-26-2005, 06:47 PM
It is a new organization now too. Rick Spielmen and Dave Wannstadt are gone and Nick Saban is running the show. Happens all the time in the NFL when a new coach comes in he cleans house and gets his players. He'll be picked up to be a backup somewhere he has good speed and is obviously very tough since he played quite a few years on that bad ankle. Mike Martz handles his players horribly so he didn't get much of a shot there either.

BisonMav
08-27-2005, 01:25 AM
Fanball fantasy site has a less than complimentary blurb on Gordon. I'm not going to post it here, but a trade would be good for him.

gwendel
08-29-2005, 02:07 AM
Well, the Miami Dolphins finally found a team to beat on Sat.--Tampa Bay (17-14).

Lamar got exactly one attempt. He gained seven yards, but because of a penalty, it was considered "no play" and didn't go into the game stats. Judging by the number of players they had running the ball and the number of 5+ yard runs, the Buccaneers were a team Miami could run against.

(11:33) L.Gordon up the middle to TB 18 for 7 yards (B.Adams).
PENALTY on MIA-T.Whitley, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at TB 25 - No Play.

kchats
08-29-2005, 03:13 AM
My how Tampa Bay's once powerful defense has fallen. It sounds like an organization that kept its players on defense to long.

silkamilkamonico
09-01-2005, 06:39 AM
My how Tampa Bay's once powerful defense has fallen. *It sounds like an organization that kept its players on defense to long.

I disagree.

They may not be as deep as they used to, but people have been calling their downslide since their SuperBowl run, and both years since they have had an outstanding defense that have given them an oppurtunity to win every game with the exception of a couple.

I'm giving their defense the benefit of the doubt this year, and expecting them to be tough, unless they show me otherwise.