PDA

View Full Version : We Wanted Bama

EC8CH
09-10-2019, 06:19 PM
https://twitter.com/Riley_Gates/status/1171482116309151745?s=19

Chris Klieman said when he was at North Dakota State, they tried to schedule Alabama, but it never happened. @RossUglem @HankSouth247

roadwarrior
09-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Not surprising. I think we have tried to schedule almost every FBS team. Multiple times.

THEsocalledfan
09-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Yes, we would have been crushed, but damn would that have been fun!

THEsocalledfan
09-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Not surprising. I think we have tried to schedule almost every FBS team. Multiple times.

Road, you think NDSU made enough money on the Target field deal that maybe they could attract a mid major FBS team to play there? In other words, could NDSU pay a high enough guarantee and maybe they'd consider it since "neutral" site? Thinking teams like Northern Illinois, Wyoming (yes, know that would not happen, but the type of team I'm looking for), Colorado St, etc.

tjbison
09-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Matt Larson was on 1660 today an said we would play any FBS team willing but nobody wants to sign contracts

THEsocalledfan
09-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Matt Larson was on 1660 today an said we would play any FBS team willing but nobody wants to sign contracts

But we can't pay enough to come to Fargo, and maybe they can't generate enough revenue to justify bringing in NDSU. (Again, looking at G5, not P5)

Bisonator98
09-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Road, you think NDSU made enough money on the Target field deal that maybe they could attract a mid major FBS team to play there? In other words, could NDSU pay a high enough guarantee and maybe they'd consider it since "neutral" site? Thinking teams like Northern Illinois, Wyoming (yes, know that would not happen, but the type of team I'm looking for), Colorado St, etc.

I'd think a MAC team would maybe bite but I doubt a MWC would. Northern Illinois would be awesome but I don't think they are that stupid.

THEsocalledfan
09-10-2019, 06:41 PM
I'd think a MAC team would maybe bite but I doubt a MWC would. Northern Illinois would be awesome but I don't think they are that stupid.

Maybe a sun belch, like Georgia Southern?

Honeybooboo
09-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Maybe a sun belch, like Georgia Southern?

they have plenty of FCS teams within bus distance that they dont need to take a payment from an FCS team to travel

I would rather see NDSU pay top FCS teams to play in Fargo

Mr Pep Band
09-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Now people will bitch and complain about why it never actually happened.

NEWS FLASH!!

Schedules don't usually mesh up nice and perfect for everything to fall into place ever so nice. You can try, but sometimes, it just won't work.

Alabama: you want to play us?
NDSU: Yes, we have these dates open- xxxxxxx xx, 20XX....etc.
Alabama: oh sorry, those don't work for us, how about November, 2030?
NDSU: Nope, sorry can't do that late in the year. Conference schedule goes up to the weekend before Thanksgiving and then playoffs start immediately afterwards.
Alabama: playoffs? Oh, those two games you play in January?
NDSU: No, the 4 or 5 games we play in November, December, AND January.
Alabama: Well, we are the college football national champion.
NDSU: We are the NCAA Division 1 football national champion.

56BISON73
09-10-2019, 06:46 PM

Well that certainly smacks the face of the two that keep saying thats not happening.

gumby013
09-10-2019, 06:46 PM
I'd say try to get a service academy to US Bank for a neutral site game.

Honeybooboo
09-10-2019, 06:47 PM
I'd say try to get a service academy to US Bank for a neutral site game.

Ivy league team would be pretty cool also

Christopher Moen
09-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Yes, we would have been crushed, but damn would that have been fun!

I believe the score between NDSU and Alabama would be closer than the score between NDSU and UND. Realistically, I feel the Bison could keep it within 20 on a good day.

oldmantutters
09-10-2019, 06:52 PM
SEC has that funny schedule where they start conference play a week early and then have an open week later in the year. Really cuts down on available dates.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Honeybooboo
09-10-2019, 06:53 PM
I believe the score between NDSU and Alabama would be closer than the score between NDSU and UND. Realistically, I feel the Bison could keep it within 20 on a good day.

Obviously we probably will never know, but I guarantee Saban would not overlook NDSU like a normal southern FCS team. It may be good for a half but no way we have the horses to run with those boys all 4

IndyBison
09-10-2019, 07:00 PM
I got to work a scrimmage at a major P5 school. After the scrimmage we got to eat with the team at their training table. Our host happened to also be in charge of scheduling for the team. I asked him if they would ever consider scheduling North Dakota State. He said absolutely not. They might lose and that would look very bad. And this was a team that would likely beat NDSU if they played. But they could lose and weren't willing to take that chance.

Bison 4 Life
09-10-2019, 07:00 PM
He clearly takes his orders from photo illustrations

bisontown
09-10-2019, 07:04 PM
they have plenty of FCS teams within bus distance that they dont need to take a payment from an FCS team to travel

I would rather see NDSU pay top FCS teams to play in Fargo

Really?!?! You'd rather watch NDSU sh*t pound someone, than go play a bigtime P5 school?

Bisonator98
09-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Really?!?! You'd rather watch NDSU sh*t pound someone, than go play a bigtime P5 school?

That's not at all what he said.

TAILG8R
09-10-2019, 07:08 PM
I just don't know why ANY FBS team would be willing to play a neutral site game against NDSU. Any of the big boys have zero need/reason to do so. So that means G5 and the like. They have to know they would get beat. Why would you be willing to put the spotlight(neutral site with an FCS, especially NDSU) on a loss to a "lesser" team? Even if it's a MAC school that needs money and we can give them a guarantee, is it really worth it? They can go get killed by a P5 and still get paid and no one blinks an eye at the result.

Professor Chaos
09-10-2019, 07:10 PM
I just don't know why ANY FBS team would be willing to play a neutral site game against NDSU. Any of the big boys have zero need/reason to do so. So that means G5 and the like. They have to know they would get beat. Why would you be willing to put the spotlight(neutral site with an FCS, especially NDSU) on a loss to a "lesser" team? Even if it's a MAC school that needs money and we can give them a guarantee, is it really worth it? They can go get killed by a P5 and still get paid and no one blinks an eye at the result.
Agreed, I think even the least prestigious G5 teams would have egos too big to agree to even a neutral site game with a "lowly FCS school".

Funny you say that because there were some UND fans who threw shit fits on AGS when Kolpack said something along the lines of 2018 NDSU was closer to Alabama than they were to UND.

Bisonator98
09-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Agreed, I think even the least prestigious G5 teams would have egos too big to agree to even a neutral site game with a "lowly FCS school".

Big egos and scared shitless. Hell most P5's are too. Better get some more P5's scheduled before we beat down Oregon, Arizona and Colorado.

56BISON73
09-10-2019, 07:14 PM

Why would a P5 or G5 team agree to a game where they know 35,000 Bison fans are going to show up and youve got a pretty good chance of getting your ass beat. There is nothing in that scenario they want any part of.

NDSU92
09-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Big egos and scared shitless. Hell most P5's are too. Better get some more P5's scheduled before we beat down Oregon, Arizona and Colorado.

MAC, Mountain West, Big 10 and Big 12 are done with us. Won’t be long until the PAC 12 is too. The problem with the rest of the FBS teams is that they’ve got dozens of FCS teams closer than us.

Bisonator98
09-10-2019, 07:28 PM
MAC, Mountain West, Big 10 and Big 12 are done with us. Won’t be long until the PAC 12 is too. The problem with the rest of the FBS teams is that they’ve got dozens of FCS teams closer than us.

Gotta get USC on the schedule now that they popped their FCS cherry.

roadwarrior
09-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Gotta get USC on the schedule now that they popped their FCS cherry.

I heard USC turned us down. Next?

THEsocalledfan
09-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Lots of good logic here......

So, to me, the only reason to ever do Target field again would be a for a premier FCS match up. Let's face it; the only FCS team that would "turn the dial" to make it interesting would be JMU. But, I'd rather do a home and home with them if they were willing.

roadwarrior
09-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Also heard that the Florida State AD seemed receptive to a game until he talked to his head coach.

NDSUguy
09-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Let's assume that this quote were to come to fruition. AFter the next 3 FBS games the Pac12 wants nothing to do with us... Then what?

G5? Nope
Big 10? Nope
Big 12? Nope
MWC? Nope
MAC? Nope

The only conference left is the SEC which has no need to fly in NDSU when they have 100 teams closer with less chance of a loss.

If the money games are gone, what becomes of NDSU's funding? That money is pretty important i'd think, so how could we replace it?

Christopher Moen
09-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Funny you say that because there were some UND fans who threw shit fits on AGS when Kolpack said something along the lines of 2018 NDSU was closer to Alabama than they were to UND.

I found it funny when Underoos threw a bit of a fit when I wrote it not too long ago (within the past year or two I believe - time flies by too quick as you get older).

Professor Chaos
09-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Let's assume that this quote were to come to fruition. AFter the next 3 FBS games the Pac12 wants nothing to do with us... Then what?

G5? Nope
Big 10? Nope
Big 12? Nope
MWC? Nope
MAC? Nope

The only conference left is the SEC which has no need to fly in NDSU when they have 100 teams closer with less chance of a loss.

If the money games are gone, what becomes of NDSU's funding? That money is pretty important i'd think, so how could we replace it?
It's not that much money when you look at the big picture. They're getting 400-600k and travel expenses come out of that which is probably 100k of that at least. Last year the NDSU AD had a 27M+ in revenue so you're talking about 2% of the total revenue the athletic department brought in coming from an FBS game. The biggest downside is we, as fans, don't get to spar with overconfident FBS fan bases and when watch our team beat them on the field and the players don't get that "chip on the shoulder" game against the bigger schools/programs as often as I'm sure they'd like.

But as far as what replaces the FBS game... I haven't heard the figure but judging from what was reported they just got at least a 500k check from the Minnesota Twins.

oldmantutters
09-10-2019, 07:52 PM
Lots of good logic here......

So, to me, the only reason to ever do Target field again would be a for a premier FCS match up. Let's face it; the only FCS team that would "turn the dial" to make it interesting would be JMU. But, I'd rather do a home and home with them if they were willing.JMU wouldn't bring in many fans to mpls. Unfortunately I think we'd be stuck with the other Dakota schools or UNI for another game down there.

Professor Chaos
09-10-2019, 07:59 PM
JMU wouldn't bring in many fans to mpls. Unfortunately I think we'd be stuck with the other Dakota schools or UNI for another game down there.

Depends on your definition of many. I bet they'd bring 3-4k maybe more if tickets were readily available. It's a cheap and easy flight. I've had a pipe dream for the last few years that two schools like NDSU and JMU would agree to a home-and-home like agreement on neutral(ish) fields. One game in Minneapolis and the other in DC. I think both would draw well.

Bison 4 Life
09-10-2019, 08:03 PM
The Target field game was exactly what it needed to be. A way to spice up a game against a weak opponent. It would only be appropriate if it served the same purpose down the road. Good games need to be in Fargo, not played in a baseball stadium.

SDbison
09-10-2019, 08:12 PM

G5? Nope
Big 10? Nope
Big 12? Nope
MWC? Nope
MAC? Nope

If the money games are gone, what becomes of NDSU's funding? That money is pretty important i'd think, so how could we replace it? Isn't this where some of the naysayers realize, it's not if NDSU will move up to FBS, it's when. I think something will have to change in the next 5 to 10 years.

oldmantutters
09-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Depends on your definition of many. I bet they'd bring 3-4k maybe more if tickets were readily available. It's a cheap and easy flight. I've had a pipe dream for the last few years that two schools like NDSU and JMU would agree to a home-and-home like agreement on neutral(ish) fields. One game in Minneapolis and the other in DC. I think both would draw well.I think it's going to need to be more than 3-4k, I think the number of NDSU fans for Target Field would drop off fairly significantly. Could be wrong though.

G_Funky
09-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Isn't this where some of the naysayers realize, it's not if NDSU will move up to FBS, it's when. I think something will have to change in the next 5 to 10 years.

I think the landscape of college football as a whole is going to change in the next 5-10 years.

That being said, if things teeter back towards having closer to a .500 record against FBS competition, the calls will start coming in again...

MankatoBison
09-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Here is a complete list of remaining exciting FCS teams we will not have played after this year:

Harvard

El_Chapo
09-10-2019, 09:01 PM

then MOVE UP

WeAreThePride
09-10-2019, 09:05 PM
then MOVE UP

Sure. To which conference?

El_Chapo
09-10-2019, 09:06 PM

Gotta get PRES & AD on the phone, flying to conference meetings & Soliciting an Invite.... which they havent!!

WeAreThePride
09-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Gotta get PRES & AD on the phone, flying to conference meetings & Soliciting an Invite.... which they havent!!

Flying to which conference?

El_Chapo
09-10-2019, 09:10 PM
Flying to which conference?

Mountain West & AAC (they have an opening) MAC too, why not.

Mr Pep Band
09-10-2019, 09:10 PM

And wasting MORE of our tax dollars? Not to mention the students tuition and "fees", which keeps increasing each year i might add. No thanks. Trim the admin fat.

We are BISON, not fat, slow cows. (lean meat vs fatty meat joke)

MankatoBison
09-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Its either MWC, or its the MAC if we can get other Dakota Schools/UNI to go with us

El_Chapo
09-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Yea those 2 plane tickets Fargo to Vegas for Mountain West meetings would cost us $359 on Allegiant. whew.

G_Funky
09-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Mountain West & AAC (they have an opening) MAC too, why not.

because, geographically, none of those conferences make any goddamn sense. Not to mention Larson cant just roll into the MT West conference meeting like "hey, guys. can we play with you?"

We've gotta face it, we are an outlier unless the big 10 comes calling...and in case you were wondering...they aint calling.

SlickVic
09-10-2019, 09:35 PM
do u think FBS independent would b in option 2 get the ball rolling quickly?

Honeybooboo
09-10-2019, 09:40 PM

You clearly don't understand

23Bison
09-10-2019, 09:48 PM
then MOVE UP
SEC, SEC, SEC!!! Ra Ra Ra!!!! #gobigorgohome

Christopher Moen
09-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Yea those 2 plane tickets Fargo to Vegas for Mountain West meetings would cost us $359 on Allegiant. whew.

Vegas? The Mountain West office is in Colorado Springs. I drive by it a lot. I'm still hoping to run into their group (preferable seated at the same table) at one of our Sport Corp luncheons. I really want to know how crow tastes and if they still think NDSU is a cute little university.

G_Funky
09-10-2019, 10:07 PM
do u think FBS independent would b in option 2 get the ball rolling quickly?

FBS independents not Notre Dame are as irrelevant as it gets in college football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZHerd
09-10-2019, 10:51 PM

Definitely. I even think it would end up closer than most Bison fans think it would. Look at how much Clemson struggled with Syracuse last year. Bison would bring their A game and that tends to take other teams somewhat out of what they want to do. It probably wouldn’t be a blowout.

ndsubison1
09-10-2019, 11:13 PM
I remember someone brought this up on here a few years ago. Same with LSU, OU?

I believe a lot of SEC schools schedule SoCo teams as their FCS.

ByeSonBusiness
09-10-2019, 11:32 PM
FBS independents not Notre Dame are as irrelevant as it gets in college football.

Once in a blue moon BYU is good. Army is actually a strong team right now...are they still independent?

Bisonator98
09-10-2019, 11:37 PM

NDSU would instantly be ahead of Notre Dame on the Indy list. :D

marenlee
09-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Georgia Southern gave Bama a hell of a scare in 2011. Racked up 400 yards rushing and kept it within a score most of the game until the end. We could make it interesting and put up more of a fight than most FBS teams. We'd still lose by a few scores, but I don't think it would be a slaughter.

Professorbum
09-11-2019, 12:13 AM
then MOVE UP

Bingo. It is funny to see all the handwringing in this thread. The solution is obvious. Go FBS. Then you can play all the FBS teams you want, including plenty of P5s.

Professorbum
09-11-2019, 12:21 AM
because, geographically, none of those conferences make any goddamn sense. Not to mention Larson cant just roll into the MT West conference meeting like "hey, guys. can we play with you?"

We've gotta face it, we are an outlier unless the big 10 comes calling...and in case you were wondering...they aint calling.

It's called aviation. Wonderful industry. You think the MW is bus league? I'm pretty sure they fly the team from Boise to Albuquerque. To say nothing of Honolulu. In fact, Fargo is preferable to some FBS towns as there is no need for a long bus ride from the airport. The Target Field game confirmed yet again that NDSU has a fanbase that can support an FBS team. If NDSU wants play FBS teams, NDSU should find a way to go FBS. Push for it. At least try to make it happen.

DePereBisonFan
09-11-2019, 02:11 AM
I'm guessing this means that K-State will be scheduling a home and home with Alabama.

El_Chapo
09-11-2019, 02:23 AM
It's called aviation. Wonderful industry. You think the MW is bus league? I'm pretty sure they fly the team from Boise to Albuquerque. To say nothing of Honolulu. In fact, Fargo is preferable to some FBS towns as there is no need for a long bus ride from the airport. The Target Field game confirmed yet again that NDSU has a fanbase that can support an FBS team. If NDSU wants play FBS teams, NDSU should find a way to go FBS. Push for it. At least try to make it happen.

bingo was his name-o

Klieman was quoted as saying he wouldn't of wanted that game?? oh please..

GreenfieldBison
09-12-2019, 09:34 PM

Huh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rock
09-12-2019, 11:21 PM
Get an idea for a neutral site “Superfight” with a big dog.

Talk to Jerry Jones/Robert Kraft/Jeff Lurie.

???

Profit.

I wanna see NDSU on CBS.

56BISON73
09-12-2019, 11:53 PM

One gimmick game hardly proves that we should move to fbs.

bison_by_blood
09-13-2019, 06:00 AM

Not hard to figure out. From a football standpoint we should be FBS. From a funding standpoint we aren’t quite there yet.

bison_by_blood
09-13-2019, 06:10 AM
Not hard to figure out. From a football standpoint we should be FBS. From a funding standpoint we aren’t quite there yet.

And in my opinion, several of the state colleges gotta go. Dickinson State, Mayville, Valley City and maybe Minot are sucking funds from a state that can barely support the flagship state colleges

Professorbum
09-13-2019, 06:55 AM
Huh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sincerely don't know what about my statement you guys object to. I said "yet again...". It isn't the "one gimmick game" by itself. The ability of this team to turn out fans for piece of $#!t FCS game against a team no one cares about in a baseball stadium 3 hours from home is one more piece of evidence, among countless pieces, that we have the fan support for FBS.

Professor Chaos
09-13-2019, 11:44 AM
I sincerely don't know what about my statement you guys object to. I said "yet again...". It isn't the "one gimmick game" by itself. The ability of this team to turn out fans for piece of $#!t FCS game against a team no one cares about in a baseball stadium 3 hours from home is one more piece of evidence, among countless pieces, that we have the fan support for FBS.
NDSU has better fan support than a lot of G5 teams out there. I'm not sure you'll find anyone here willing to argue that. However, that alone doesn't make NDSU an attractive option to any particular FBS conference nor does it cover the cost of an FBS move (at least not without a larger venue).

NDSU1980
09-13-2019, 12:10 PM
And in my opinion, several of the state colleges gotta go. Dickinson State, Mayville, Valley City and maybe Minot are sucking funds from a state that can barely support the flagship state colleges

Even if we did eliminate those colleges, that money would never be funneled into athletics. Until all the FBS wannabees can come up with adequate funding, it's still nothing but a pipe dream.

bisonp
09-13-2019, 12:22 PM
NDSU has better fan support than a lot of G5 teams out there. I'm not sure you'll find anyone here willing to argue that. However, that alone doesn't make NDSU an attractive option to any particular FBS conference nor does it cover the cost of an FBS move (at least not without a larger venue).

Exactly. I'd love to see the Bison in FBS and know they could compete on the field and draw fans today. I just think the financial side would all but destroy NDSU athletics unless some benefactor comes forward to pay for it. Not even Carson Wentz has that kind of dough, at least not yet. NDSU enrollment is also in a pretty big decline right now, which makes it that much more difficult and would make for some pretty bad optics with state legislators.

But I also still think at some point the G5 will break off from the P5 because there are too many schools losing way too much money for things to stay as they are indefinitely. Wherever they land is where NDSU should be...and where they plan to be, if past comments are any indication.

So am I happy they are in FCS? Well, not really, but that's the reality, so I make the best of it.

Mr Meaty
09-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Exactly. I'd love to see the Bison in FBS and know they could compete on the field and draw fans today. I just think the financial side would all but destroy NDSU athletics unless some benefactor comes forward to pay for it. Not even Carson Wentz has that kind of dough, at least not yet. NDSU enrollment is also in a pretty big decline right now, which makes it that much more difficult and would make for some pretty bad optics with state legislators.

But I also still think at some point the G5 will break off from the P5 because there are too many schools losing way too much money for things to stay as they are indefinitely. Wherever they land is where NDSU should be...and where they plan to be, if past comments are any indication.

So am I happy they are in FCS? Well, not really, but that's the reality, so I make the best of it.

T Boone Pickens recently passed away. Any relative of his a Bison Fan???? asking for a friends.

Facts
09-13-2019, 12:34 PM

Ding ding ding!

tjbison
09-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Ding ding ding!

you would have a better chance at the state funding an FBS move than closing any of the other colleges that dot the empty plains. ND hates Higher Ed but they absolutely love making sure every pud town has a State university

its a very strange and ineffective model

MankatoBison
09-13-2019, 03:27 PM

This is absolutely correct. People denying either part of this dont have their heads screwed on right. I know that for many of you this is an incomprehensible idea... BUT... contrary to popular belief- Two things could be true at once.

MankatoBison
09-13-2019, 03:29 PM

Wow, thats a damn reasonable comment! Mods, is this allowed???

Professorbum
09-13-2019, 11:32 PM

Forget where they land. Where are they now? That's where we should be now. Those on Bisonville who say, "let's wait and see..." what makes you think we'd be more (instead of less) welcome at that time to join the ranks. What if the NCAA goes to an 8-team football playoff, including 1-2 G5s? NDSU says, "oh, we'd like to be a part of that." Well no shit. So would every other decent FCS. Then it's even harder to find a conference. We need to be already seated in our chair when the music stops. Let others scramble for a seat.

tjbison
09-14-2019, 12:25 AM
Ndsu would blow North Carolina and Wake Forest out of the stadium, poor football right now on ESPN

DakotaOkie
09-14-2019, 12:50 AM

One big detail is there are (probably) more alumni in the Twin Citiies than in the entire FM area. Filling a stadium in the MSP area for a unique one and done event means very little in the F-M area. I have no dog in this fight but more stadium in Fargo would be a good idea regardless of the FBS implications. LIke has been said countless times, folks in Cass county are not going to pay for it nor is the state legislature.

ThunderDan
09-14-2019, 01:34 AM

I'd throw in attendance to that as well. If we were FBS, it would require a new stadium, and to be honest, the "attendance" numbers don't match with butts in the seat. Don't think low level FBS teams would draw enough excitement to fill a 30k stadium. Wyoming has averaged 19.8k per game over the last five years. their stadium holds 29k...and that attendance is tickets "sold", not people in the stadium.

El_Chapo
09-14-2019, 02:00 AM

*"I also still think at some point the G5 will break off from the P5"

you naysayers have been using that line since 2011. I dont want to start losing fans to complacency & trophy chasing.. but that's what is happening. there's easily demand for 40,000+ a game vs better competition... dont forget 250 000 is the population in Fargo area now. that's less than 1/5th and upper deck tickets are $20/seat w no donation...theres a huge part of the population that would die for those prices for a NDSU football game

Christopher Moen
09-14-2019, 02:16 AM
I'd throw in attendance to that as well. If we were FBS, it would require a new stadium, and to be honest, the "attendance" numbers don't match with butts in the seat. Don't think low level FBS teams would draw enough excitement to fill a 30k stadium. Wyoming has averaged 19.8k per game over the last five years. their stadium holds 29k...and that attendance is tickets "sold", not people in the stadium.

I'm not sure attendance is that much of an issue if NDSU were to move up to a FBS school unless it were a P5 conference. Using this info from the NCAA (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2018.pdf), G5 schools really don't have that much of a paid attendance more than NDSU has already. Two the G5 conferences average less than what NDSU draws at the FargoDome while one is about the same.

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is location. The Big 10 is the only FBS conference in our region, and their academic levels, endowment level, budgets, etc. are beyond what NDSU can attain. The two G5 conferences nearest (really aren't that close) to Fargo won't want anything to do with NDSU based on my experience with them. The MAC schools are hemorrhaging money (words from someone who works in Akron's AD) just trying to keep up with P5 schools, and adding a school (maybe two if SDSU came with) that far West is going to hurt them more. The MW, based on a luncheon I had with them in 2016, are full of themselves and think NDSU is a cute little program. Why would they add a school or two that they look down upon?

It will be interesting to see what happens when NDSU eventually makes it move. If they somehow end up in a conference, it will be interesting to see which one and how long fans get bored beating the same crappy teams every year, much like the complaints we hear about the MVFC. Sorry, but G5 teams for the most part, are pretty much as exciting as what we see in the MVFC and only a few, in any, are ranked higher than NDSU each year in the Sagarin Ratings.

I think the only solution NDSU has right now to move up to the FBS would be independent while keeping the rest of its sports in the conferences they are in right now. Hopefully that changes in the near future when a certain conference takes the Bison more serious.

Christopher Moen
09-14-2019, 02:18 AM
*"I also still think at some point the G5 will break off from the P5"

you naysayers have been using that line since 2011. I dont want to start losing fans to complacency & trophy chasing.. but that's what is happening. there's easily demand for 40,000+ a game vs better competition... dont forget 250 000 is the population in Fargo area now. that's less than 1/5th and upper deck tickets are $20/seat w no donation...theres a huge part of the population that would die for those prices for a NDSU football game

And the P5 DID break away from the G5. It happed with the creation of the College Football Playoffs. Unfortunately, the G5 is living in denial right now, or are quietly admitting it.

23Bison
09-14-2019, 02:22 AM
I know the title says “We wanted Bama” but does that mean we still do? Asking for a friend.

56BISON73
09-14-2019, 02:24 AM
And the P5 DID break away from the G5. It happed with the creation of the College Football Playoffs. Unfortunately, the G5 is living in denial right now, or are quietly admitting it.

The final apron string was cut when the NCAA gave them autonomy.

Christopher Moen
09-14-2019, 03:23 AM
The final apron string was cut when the NCAA gave them autonomy.

And you would be correct.

Hammerhead
09-14-2019, 04:02 AM
T Boone Pickens recently passed away. Any relative of his a Bison Fan???? asking for a friends.

He probably left more money to Oklahoma State. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiNw-Tats_kAhUEnZ4KHRhQBkkQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2Fcollege-football%2Fstory%2F_%2Fid%2F27594573%2Ft-boone-pickens-billionaire-ok-st-donor-dies&psig=AOvVaw1z2_WdWt_XsMnv-XRjc-Ol&ust=1568520063200612

Professor Chaos
09-14-2019, 12:46 PM
One big detail is there are (probably) more alumni in the Twin Citiies than in the entire FM area. Filling a stadium in the MSP area for a unique one and done event means very little in the F-M area. I have no dog in this fight but more stadium in Fargo would be a good idea regardless of the FBS implications. LIke has been said countless times, folks in Cass county are not going to pay for it nor is the state legislature.
Highly doubtful. The figure I heard from the alumni association was that there was 19,000 NDSU alumni in the twin cities. You can claim that estimate is low (and I thought it would be higher) but alumni in and around the FM area has to blow that out of the water.

I think the only solution NDSU has right now to move up to the FBS would be independent while keeping the rest of its sports in the conferences they are in right now. Hopefully that changes in the near future when a certain conference takes the Bison more serious.
Bingo! Amongst all the "we need to look at going FBS" handwringing I've yet to see a reasonable argument as to why NDSU would be an attractive enough option for any G5 conference to be willing to share their TV/CFP money with. Is being an FBS independent better than where we're at currently? Ask Idaho.

I think the best path towards FBS is to move up with a group of regional schools (the usual suspects that have been listed many times) so you have an "alliance" if not an official conference rather than being on an island.

bruinbison
09-14-2019, 12:47 PM
When the P5 get around to expanding the playoff to 8 teams, one spot will be available for the G5, would be good for all involved imo.

Christopher Moen
09-14-2019, 02:12 PM
When the P5 get around to expanding the playoff to 8 teams, one spot will be available for the G5, would be good for all involved imo.

That’s the popular opinion among many of us fans and those in the media. However, I’m still waiting for that idea to be expressed by a P5/CFP spokesperson.

SlickVic
09-14-2019, 02:22 PM
i got s car taking out BAMA straight up today lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!

tcbison
09-14-2019, 03:38 PM
If NDSU goes FBS and for fun let's say it is the Mountain West Conference. Obviously, the conference schedule would be set with good teams but what about the nonconference games? If we can't get FBS teams to play when the Bison are FCS, who will play the Bison in FBS?

JohnnyExtacy
09-14-2019, 03:42 PM
If NDSU goes FBS and for fun let's say it is the Mountain West Conference. Obviously, the conference schedule would be set with good teams but what about the nonconference games? If we can't get FBS teams to play when the Bison are FCS, who will play the Bison in FBS?

As long as FCS there isn't external value attached to the game. If NDSU was FBS, and as strong as they are now, primetime TV would pick games like that up and there would be significantly more prestige involved in the game. As long as NDSU is FCS there isn't an incentive for teams to play them because it isn't going to help them in the eyes of polls.

No_Skill
09-14-2019, 03:42 PM

One home Fcs, one home MAC/sunbelt, one away MAC/sunbelt (home/home agreements).

Sprinkle in the occasional away P5 and the rare home P5 (yes...they happen).

tcbison
09-14-2019, 03:48 PM
I still think it would be tough to get teams to come to Fargo and I personally doubt that other teams would welcome games against the Bison with open arms just because they are no longer FCS. If teams are afraid to lost to the Bison now I just don't think that changes with the FBS label.

No_Skill
09-14-2019, 03:53 PM
I still think it would be tough to get teams to come to Fargo and I personally doubt that other teams would welcome games against the Bison with open arms just because they are no longer FCS. If teams are afraid to lost to the Bison now I just don't think that changes with the FBS label.

But it would due to the fact that we switch from being the single FCS game that counts toward bowl eligibility to just another FBS game. The total risk for them changes.

I'm not saying scheduling would be easy, because it wouldn't. But that's why the AD gets the big bucks.

JohnnyExtacy
09-14-2019, 03:53 PM

Teams have a hell of a lot more to lose by playing an FCS team then they have to gain. They aren't as afraid of NDSU as they are of playing a very very solid (in this case elite) FCS team and losing. There is nothing for them to gain by beating NDSU. But there is something for them to lose.

Christopher Moen
09-14-2019, 09:51 PM

At the very best, NDSU would have a similar schedule as Boise State. Once in awhile, the Bison would get a decent to very good P5 team to play in Fargo, but most likely those games are either away or at a neutral site. Otherwise, the Bison are playing teams that are somewhat similar to what we see them play in the MVFC.