PDA

View Full Version : "roll herd"?

MankatoBison
09-03-2019, 02:44 PM
I had 3 different student age Bison fans yell "Roll Herd!" to me at the state fair and I almost didnt know what to say! My wife turned to me and said "is roll herd a thing? and I said "not that im aware of!"

I also saw someone wearing a "Roll herd" t shirt at the game. AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Is "Roll Herd" a thing? and if so, how have I not heard about this?

heffray
09-03-2019, 02:50 PM
I had 3 different student age Bison fans yell "Roll Herd!" to me at the state fair and I almost didnt know what to say! My wife turned to me and said "is roll herd a thing? and I said "not that im aware of!"

I also saw someone wearing a "Roll herd" t shirt at the game. AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

The comparison to 'Bama is obvious, but not sure if I like it or not. I could be convinced either way, but, my heart says I'd rather we have something original, like "Hail the Bison." We don't need to copy the "big boys" to be relevant.

HandoEX
09-03-2019, 02:51 PM

This Alabama rip-off needs to stop. Just dumb, imo. Have heard it said for the last few years and get annoyed every time.

ByeSonBusiness
09-03-2019, 02:53 PM
That's stupid af.

tjbison
09-03-2019, 02:55 PM
My god do not use this

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ByeSonBusiness
09-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Start kicking people in the shin if you hear someone say it.

El_Chapo
09-03-2019, 03:06 PM
knock that shit off

Herd
09-03-2019, 07:01 PM
A hearty "Go Bison", appropriate. "Roll Herd", not appropriate.

ZHerd
09-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Tides roll in and out. It makes no sense in our context, and is copy cat bush league

JMB
09-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Start kicking people in the shin if you hear someone say it.

Let's make some examples out of people!

https://i.imgur.com/Mr93yhb.jpg

BizfrmBotno
09-03-2019, 07:31 PM
A hearty "Go Bison", appropriate. "Roll Herd", not appropriate.

This, end of discussion.

NEBison
09-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Tides roll in and out. It makes no sense in our context, and is copy cat bush league

The guy sitting behind me at the game said at least 5 times that "home of the, BISON" is copied from UND. what's the story behind that? i had never heard that said before.

Bison 4 Life
09-03-2019, 09:23 PM
The guy sitting behind me at the game said at least 5 times that "home of the, BISON" is copied from UND. what's the story behind that? i had never heard that said before.

They say home of the Sioux at hockey games.

Still.

NEBison
09-03-2019, 09:24 PM
They say home of the Sioux at hockey games.

Still.

hate to ask but did UND do it first?

Christopher Moen
09-03-2019, 09:56 PM

I've heard other college teams do it too, so I doubt it that we copied it from the F'Hawkers.

Bison 4 Life
09-03-2019, 10:06 PM
I've heard other college teams do it too, so I doubt it that we copied it from the F'Hawkers.

The Chiefs do it too. Nobody cares.

56BISON73
09-03-2019, 10:06 PM

HMMMMM wonder what the thought was when people started doing the Horns Up after TX had been doing it for years???

tjbison
09-03-2019, 10:45 PM
HMMMMM wonder what the thought was when people started doing the Horns Up after TX had been doing it for years???

Only so many figure gestures can be made with hands, most of the schools with cats in their name all do the same C with their hands

But a verbal saying is different especially the Roll Tide, its nationally known to everyone what that means and who its from

bri-dog
09-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Only so many figure gestures can be made with hands, most of the schools with cats in their name all do the same C with their hands

But a verbal saying is different especially the Roll Tide, its nationally known to everyone what that means and who its from

And our next opponent has one of them perfected...

heffray
09-03-2019, 11:31 PM

Tide goes in tide goes out you can’t explain it...

ByeSonBusiness
09-03-2019, 11:48 PM

They may have done it first. NDSU may have even copycat that, but a bunch of teams/schools do that. Seems harmless.

It irritates me a bunch when people do that. But that one at least makes sense.

Christopher Moen
09-03-2019, 11:58 PM
Tide goes in tide goes out you can’t explain it...

https://media3.giphy.com/media/Qllf7zcBVJuak/source.gif

heffray
09-04-2019, 12:06 AM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/Qllf7zcBVJuak/source.gif

You just can’t explain it...

MNLonghorn10
09-04-2019, 12:08 AM
Roll Herd is terrible. not as terrible as stealing Texas' hand sign but close. you thieves.

Hammerhead
09-04-2019, 12:42 AM
Please don't.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8950&d=1567557715

Christopher Moen
09-04-2019, 01:08 AM
You just can’t explain it...

If you could, there would be many scientists that would want to talk to you.

JMB
09-04-2019, 01:36 AM
Roll Herd is terrible. not as terrible as stealing Texas' hand sign but close. you thieves.

To be fair, Texas hasn't used the hand sign for anything important for several years..

MNLonghorn10
09-04-2019, 01:50 AM
To be fair, Texas hasn't used the hand sign for anything important for several years..

NDSU likewise

MankatoBison
09-04-2019, 01:59 PM

The Texas is a WIDE pointer and pinky to signify LONGhorns, but ours are straight up

WAAAAAYYY Different! Not really that different, but different enough to clear my conscience

MankatoBison
09-04-2019, 02:01 PM
Obviously "Roll Herd" is stupid... "Go Bison" obviously fine... but pretty milquetoast.. Wish we had a more original slogan lol

NDSU92
09-04-2019, 02:02 PM
The Texas is a WIDE pointer and pinky to signify LONGhorns, but ours are straight up

WAAAAAYYY Different! Not really that different, but different enough to clear my conscience

Whenever UT fans give me gruff down here I ask them if they’ve ever seen a longhorn before and why they don’t use their thumb instead as it would look more accurate. Brings about a pretty quick end to the conversation.

DCinOK
09-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Obviously "Roll Herd" is stupid... "Go Bison" obviously fine... but pretty milquetoast.. Wish we had a more original slogan lol

Well, since we're talking about "stealing" traditions from other teams...down here in Oklahoma the catchphrase for the NBA team is "Thunder Up."
Thundering Herd, Thundar, Thunderstruck...those go with "Thunder Up." On the other hand, maybe that's as stupid as "Roll Herd."

Mr Meaty
09-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Lock thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrSnuffleupagus
09-04-2019, 06:28 PM
You: "Roll Herd is stupid!"

Also You: *tries to come up with rhyming slogan for each season*

Bison 4 Life
09-04-2019, 06:42 PM
You: "Roll Herd is stupid!"

Also You: *tries to come up with rhyming slogan for each season*

Roll Herd, sucks but better than: Scream Yellow, Dominate the Standard, or anything Ben Newman ever came up with.

TransAmBison
09-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Roll Herd, sucks but better than: Scream Yellow, Dominate the Standard, or anything Ben Newman ever came up with.Agreed on all points...especially the last one.

Farmer63
09-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Bison fan all my life. I'm 58, and I remember a time when UND did it and we did not. I remember this because I dislike the practice. I didn't like it when I went to Sioux games and I don't like it now when I go to Bison games.

ByeSonBusiness
09-05-2019, 12:16 AM
Roll Herd, sucks but better than: Scream Yellow, Dominate the Standard, or anything Ben Newman ever came up with.

Scream Yellow is so bad that it's awesome though

StL Bison Fan
09-05-2019, 12:23 AM
Scream Yellow is so bad that it's awesome though

It seemed to work at the game on Saturday

1998braves64
09-05-2019, 12:35 AM
It seemed to work at the game on SaturdaySure that wasn't stream yellow or yellow steam? :hide:

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

VirginiaBison
09-05-2019, 12:40 AM
Roll Herd????

Back in the day of out door play at Dakota Field the welcome chant for each opponent player running on to the field [Warning. Unprintable in today's PC environment] use to be:

"S_it, F_ck
Nibble, Gobble, Chew
We are the Mighty Bison
Who the _ell are YOU???

But bringing liquid refreshments into the stands to keep one warm during intemperate daytime temperatures were against the rule also. Who knew the culture would change and Ole and Lena jokes would be racist. Ah, the good ole days...

BisonHorns
09-05-2019, 01:12 AM
Ole and Lena jokes aren't racist if you replace the names. I sometime use Rich White Man and Rich White Man. Nothing wrong with that.

MankatoBison
09-05-2019, 04:11 PM
The "Thunder up" is compelling... There has to be a way to twist that for us...

Also "horns up" is almost a thing right? We could combine the two and do "up, up"

Horns up is probably as close as we'll get to a catchphrase

MankatoBison
09-05-2019, 04:36 PM
The "Thunder up" is compelling... There has to be a way to twist that for us...

Also "horns up" is almost a thing right? We could combine the two and do "up, up"

Horns up is probably as close as we'll get to a catchphrase

Herd Up

Thunder On

I'm actually good with these. Its official. I'm saying them now

tony
09-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Bison fan all my life. I'm 58, and I remember a time when UND did it and we did not. I remember this because I dislike the practice. I didn't like it when I went to Sioux games and I don't like it now when I go to Bison games.

Mandan was doing it before UND - i.e. "Home of the Braves".

Like you, I don't shout "Bison" at the end, but I mean, it doesn't upset me and know it's not intended to be disrespectful.

Then again, I really dislike the Star Spangled Banner. The music is terrible, the lyrics are overwrought, dated, don't really convey any American values whatsoever, and it's nearly impossible to dance to. I do like the refrain though.

scottietohottie
09-05-2019, 05:02 PM
Then again, I really dislike the Star Spangled Banner. The music is terrible, the lyrics are overwrought, dated, don't really convey any American values whatsoever, and it's nearly impossible to dance to. I do like the refrain though.

Should replace it with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5BL4RNFr58

I could see myself doing a little falsetto oooowwha at the beginning get the old lungs stretched out for defensive stands.

Hammerhead
09-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Basketball introductions were followed by "Who's he? He sucks!" unless UND was in town, then it was "Who's he, He suck s--t!"

Roll Herd????

Back in the day of out door play at Dakota Field the welcome chant for each opponent player running on to the field [Warning. Unprintable in today's PC environment] use to be:

"S_it, F_ck
Nibble, Gobble, Chew
We are the Mighty Bison
Who the _ell are YOU???

But bringing liquid refreshments into the stands to keep one warm during intemperate daytime temperatures were against the rule also. Who knew the culture would change and Ole and Lena jokes would be racist. Ah, the good ole days...

Christopher Moen
09-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Mandan was doing it before UND - i.e. "Home of the Braves".

Like you, I don't shout "Bison" at the end, but I mean, it doesn't upset me and know it's not intended to be disrespectful.

It is like sooooo 1812.

Bison03
09-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Horns Up!! Enough said.

tony
09-05-2019, 06:05 PM
It is like sooooo 1812.

More like, "Yon ballad hark'ns back to the ages of yore, when men on their heads thrice-corner'd hats oft wore." The lyrics were bad poetry even for the time.

Edit: scans better now

thebootfitter
09-05-2019, 08:49 PM
The fans at Atlanta Braves games have been saying "BraveS" with emphasis on the plural 'S' for many, many years. I'm sure the idea existed even before that, but it would make sense that it started with the Braves, being so close to the original word in the song, and then expanded from there. Who knows. Like many things, it probably didn't have just ONE original source, but was a concept that made sense to many individuals and groups around the same time and expanded from many places.