PDA

View Full Version : Bison Attendance vs Gophers in Minneapolis

Bison Dan
08-26-2019, 08:45 PM
I wonder who'll win?

BisonLaw
08-26-2019, 08:50 PM
From last year: "The Gophers announced a crowd of 41,291 for their opener against New Mexico State, for example, but the number of scanned tickets was 20,218."

http://www.startribune.com/university-of-minnesota-football-attendance-suffers-from-being-among-steepest-declines-in-nation/501108962/

They might have a higher announced attendance. But an 8pm Thursday night kickoff against a lowly FCS school, I doubt they have more butts in the seats than Target Field on Saturday.

HerdBot
08-26-2019, 09:05 PM
Tough to say. Many of the bison ticket sales may be for scalpers who end up eating them too.

Mr. Burgundy
08-26-2019, 09:38 PM
Gophers have $199 season tickets. THey are GIVING away seats for this one. ten bucks. Doing their best. NDSU will bring 35 to 40 and paying full price. Crazy. Going to be a unique and fun atmosphere. Thankfully NDSU was thinking outside the box on this one as it will end up being larger take home than any FBS game.

HerdBot
08-26-2019, 09:41 PM
If you decide to go at the last minute... tickets are still available for $20 each, pretty cheap compared to the dome. The cheap price should help offset travel costs. Once in a while they make some better seats available.
https://www.mlb.com/twins/tickets/events/ndsu-butler-football

Wally
08-28-2019, 01:47 AM
http://shamasportsheadliners.com/gophers-bison-in-box-office-matchup/

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2019, 02:41 AM
I think UM wins because theyll be aided with the help of a regional school smelling upset+stadium capacity.

There'll also be a shit ton of bison fans but theyll be hampered by stadium size and probably the least sexy opponent theyve seen in 15 years.

Christopher Moen
08-28-2019, 02:56 AM
I think UM wins because theyll be aided with the help of a regional school smelling upset+stadium capacity.

There'll also be a shit ton of bison fans but theyll be hampered by stadium size and probably the least sexy opponent theyve seen in 15 years.

Wait, SDSU travels? I thought the school struggled get their fans to show up at home games that didn’t involve the Bison, hobos or pillows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2019, 03:00 AM
Wait, SDSU travels? I thought the school struggled get their fans to show up at home games that didn’t involve the Bison, hobos or pillows.

season opener Thursday night TCF bank stadium on FS1 vs a B1G team and weekend getaway in Minneapolis............

Coughlin Alumni Stadium for cloudy, windy cold October 1 PM game vs Indiana State drive to Brookings and back in Sioux Falls in the same day.

You choose. Just looked. Brookings is 20 miles closer to Mpls opposed to Fargo...but it "takes" 20 min longer to get there. What a long shitty drive on 2 lanes through towns. Ive done Minneapolis-> Fargo in 2:50 but you need to hover around 83 with no stops.

Christopher Moen
08-28-2019, 03:16 AM
season opener Thursday night TCF bank stadium on FS1 vs a B1G team and weekend getaway in Minneapolis............

Coughlin Alumni Stadium for cloudy, windy cold October 1 PM game vs Indiana State drive to Brookings and back in Sioux Falls in the same day.

You choose. Just looked. Brookings is 20 miles closer to Mpls opposed to Fargo...but it "takes" 20 min longer to get there. What a long shitty drive on 2 lanes through towns. Ive done Minneapolis-> Fargo in 2:50 but you need to hover around 83 with no stops.

I wouldn’t have any issue pushing 80+ in Colorado. Doing that in Minnesota - I’m impressed.

KSBisonFan
08-28-2019, 03:18 AM

Didn't know the Frisco Cruiser could stay intact at that speed.

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2019, 04:49 AM
I wouldn’t have any issue pushing 80+ in Colorado. Doing that in Minnesota - I’m impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI've counted maybe 5 cops on 94 between the 2 cities in 18 years ive had my license

Christopher Moen
08-28-2019, 05:08 AM
I've counted maybe 5 cops on 94 between the 2 cities in 18 years ive had my license

Must be my fear of driving a vehicle with a Colorado license plate outside the state and being assumed to be a drug mule - looking at you Kansas.

KSBisonFan
08-28-2019, 11:57 AM
Must be my fear of driving a vehicle with a Colorado license plate outside the state and being assumed to be a drug mule - looking at you Kansas.

We have to pay for our potholes somehow and pulling over the resident meth heads can be dangerous.

NovaBison
08-28-2019, 12:51 PM
Looks like Zack Johnson's family is doing their part to help make this game a sellout... Zack's Mom has bought 143 tickets so far

https://www.kvrr.com/2019/08/27/ndsu-football-target-field-game-provides-homecoming-for-current-players/

El_Chapo
08-28-2019, 02:03 PM
Gophers have $199 season tickets. THey are GIVING away seats for this one. ten bucks. Doing their best. NDSU will bring 35 to 40 and paying full price. Crazy. Going to be a unique and fun atmosphere. Thankfully NDSU was thinking outside the box on this one as it will end up being larger take home than any FBS game.

NO it WONT!

NDSU isn't getting money from Tickets or Concessions (I didn't know about the tickets, but 10000% concessions going to Twins, NDSU gets 0 take of it... which was horrible negiotiating.)

Twins made $2 MILLION off St Johns/St Thomas, they'll make $5 Million off NDSU game.... Pohlads are greedy bastads.

Professor Chaos
08-28-2019, 02:15 PM
NO it WONT!

NDSU isn't getting money from Tickets or Concessions (I didn't know about the tickets, but 10000% concessions going to Twins, NDSU gets 0 take of it... which was horrible negiotiating.)

Twins made $2 MILLION off St Johns/St Thomas, they'll make $5 Million off NDSU game.... Pohlads are greedy bastads.
It is their $550M stadium the game is being played in and they are paying Butler's guarantee.

NDSU's payout is dependent on ticket sales. According to Kolpack's article from October 2016 that can be as high as $600K: https://www.inforum.com/sports/4143508-ndsu-football-returning-minneapolis-face-butler-target-field

The Twins are taking over NDSU’s guarantee of $185,000 to Butler plus paying NDSU up to $600,000 based on attendance, Larsen said.

HerdBot
08-28-2019, 02:18 PM
It is their $550M stadium the game is being played in and they are paying Butler's guarantee.

NDSU's payout is dependent on ticket sales. According to Kolpack's article from October 2016 that can be as high as $600K: https://www.inforum.com/sports/4143508-ndsu-football-returning-minneapolis-face-butler-target-field

So it's basically the same as an FBS game. With numbers like that, it would be stupid to not do this regularly during a 12 game season. But we dont know if the novelty will wear off in time

bisonp
08-28-2019, 02:22 PM
So it's basically the same as an FBS game. With numbers like that, it would be stupid to not do this regularly during a 12 game season. But we dont know if the novelty will wear off in time

It will by the next one if they don't get a better opponent.

El_Chapo
08-28-2019, 02:28 PM

and that guy has never been wrong has he?

well, i'd love to see something in 2019 not october 2016 about what NDSU is getting concretely I guess is my point.

southcliffbison
08-28-2019, 02:32 PM
When the bean counters finish, we'll find out what the take home pay was. Be patient.

ByeSonBusiness
08-28-2019, 02:33 PM

It's in NDSU's best interest to get a better opponent for the next time...assuming there is a next time.

southcliffbison
08-28-2019, 02:34 PM

$199 is damn cheap for a season ticket; however, what's the seat license?

Herd
08-28-2019, 02:48 PM
$199 is damn cheap for a season ticket; however, what's the seat license?

I'm sure for $199, you are kept out of the good seats. Probably upper deck with no seat license for this ticket.

Herd
08-28-2019, 02:52 PM
It's in NDSU's best interest to get a better opponent for the next time...assuming there is a next time.

Probably need to be non-conf. I vote for scheduling an Ivy, CAA or Big Sky Team . . . or a MAC or MWC Team if you could get seating up to 45,000. Best games . . . Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MT State, MT, Northern IL (a Twin City Recruiter), Western MI, Ohio U, Wyoming, Boise. Play Boise for a MWC invite.

Buffalo.Rider
08-28-2019, 02:55 PM

It will by the next one if they don't get a better opponent.

Be better (also) if they play in a football stadium, not a baseball stadium. The playing field for Buter vs NDSU will be a kludge, complete with a dirt infield as part of the so-called football field, and the seating (not made for football) will be awkward. Get the game into one of the Twin Cities football fields - U.St. Thomas, U.Minn (probably the best), even the Vikings stadium - and against a Top 10 FCS school, or an FBS team where the stakes are high should they lose to the Bison, and there will be a lot of people there. (In my opinion - but what do I know).

El_Chapo
08-28-2019, 03:00 PM
Be better (also) if they play in a football stadium, not a baseball stadium. The playing field for Buter vs NDSU will be a kludge, complete with a dirt infield as part of the so-called football field, and the seating (not made for football) will be awkward. Get the game into one of the Twin Cities football fields - U.St. Thomas, U.Minn (probably the best), even the Vikings stadium - and against a Top 10 FCS school, or an FBS team where the stakes are high should they lose to the Bison, and there will be a lot of people there. (In my opinion - but what do I know).

US BANK STADIUM NDSU vs ANY Power 5 team would be spectacular (Minneapolis is a Football recruiting hotbed)

Twincitybizon
08-28-2019, 03:03 PM

What's record for attendence at an fcs game???? You'd think we could play uni and market it to both fan base as a break the record deal at the vikes stadium

89MTBISON
08-28-2019, 03:08 PM
The HBCU teams typically get the largest crowds. The 2015 Celebration Bowl had 35,528 in attendance. The 1994 Heritage bowl had 36,128.

Professor Chaos
08-28-2019, 03:10 PM
What's record for attendence at an fcs game???? You'd think we could play uni and market it to both fan base as a break the record deal at the vikes stadium
Pretty tough to top the SWAC classic games. The Bayou Classic (Grambling and Southern), Florida Classic (Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman), and Magic City Classic (Alabama State and Alabama A&M) routinely draw 60k+. The Florida Classic drew 73,358 in 2003 in Orlando. That might be the biggest ever for an FCS vs FCS game.

Twincitybizon
08-28-2019, 03:11 PM
The HBCU teams typically get the largest crowds. The 2015 Celebration Bowl had 35,528 in attendance. The 1994 Heritage bowl had 36,128.

Hmmm I don't think NC a&t would really get out fans excited as an opponent.

Twincitybizon
08-28-2019, 03:13 PM
Pretty tough to top the SWAC classic games. The Bayou Classic (Grambling and Southern), Florida Classic (Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman), and Magic City Classic (Alabama State and Alabama A&M) routinely draw 60k+. The Florida Classic drew 73,358 in 2003 in Orlando. That might be the biggest ever for an FCS vs FCS game.

Dang Vikings stadium is only 66,500 capacity

Professor Chaos
08-28-2019, 03:20 PM
And those HBCU fans show up to watch 2 bad football teams so how come we're complaining about having to watch 1 bad football team???

EC8CH
08-28-2019, 03:29 PM
And those HBCU fans show up to watch 2 bad football teams so how come we're complaining about having to watch 1 bad football team???

The bands though.

NovaBison
08-28-2019, 03:33 PM

I don't doubt the attendance at these HBCU "classic" games... but with these huge attendance numbers, you would think the HBCU's would be seeing significant revenue... yet, they have some of the lowest athletic budgets in the FCS. Curious why there is a disconnect.

El_Chapo
08-28-2019, 06:12 PM
NO it WONT!

Ill correct myself. NDSU, the school doesn't get any money from this, just Athletic program.

Twins will make a ton...5 million probably

roadwarrior
08-28-2019, 06:15 PM
Ill correct myself. NDSU, the school doesn't get any money from this, just Athletic program.

Well...Duh

NDSU92
08-28-2019, 06:22 PM
I don't doubt the attendance at these HBCU "classic" games... but with these huge attendance numbers, you would think the HBCU's would be seeing significant revenue... yet, they have some of the lowest athletic budgets in the FCS. Curious why there is a disconnect.

The only attendance numbers I trust at the NCAA level are the FCS playoff games. Pretty incredible how you can watch a regular season game and playoff games with similar-enough appearing crowds and SOMEHOW the attendance reported to the NCAA during playoffs is 25%-33% what is typically announced during regular season.

Professor Chaos
08-28-2019, 06:31 PM
The only attendance numbers I trust at the NCAA level are the FCS playoff games. Pretty incredible how you can watch a regular season game and playoff games with similar-enough appearing crowds and SOMEHOW the attendance reported to the NCAA during playoffs is 25%-33% what is typically announced during regular season.
Yup... and the same thing happens for postseason bowl games. I recall the Celebration Bowl attendance a couple years back bein initially announced in the 18-19k range and then a few hours later it was changed to 30k+. When schools have to start writing checks to the NCAA based on paid attendance it's amazing how much more accurate they get in their reporting.

Mr. Burgundy
08-28-2019, 08:19 PM
NO it WONT!

You need to get better sources. Congrats to NDSU for making this quite an event. Lot of money coming back to Fargo. Drink of Bison fans!!!!

RedRiver
08-28-2019, 08:42 PM
You need to get better sources. Congrats to NDSU for making this quite an event. Lot of money coming back to Fargo. Drink of Bison fans!!!!

Lot's of money and PR from the game setting! The PR is priceless!!

DePereBisonFan
08-28-2019, 09:11 PM
From last year: "The Gophers announced a crowd of 41,291 for their opener against New Mexico State, for example, but the number of scanned tickets was 20,218."

http://www.startribune.com/university-of-minnesota-football-attendance-suffers-from-being-among-steepest-declines-in-nation/501108962/

They might have a higher announced attendance. But an 8pm Thursday night kickoff against a lowly FCS school, I doubt they have more butts in the seats than Target Field on Saturday.

"Per a Star Tribune article last November, the turnstile counts of 15,434 and 15,160 for late season Minnesota home games against Purdue and Northwestern..."

That is crazy. 15,000 fans in a home Big 10 matchup? Is that because it's outdoors?

DePereBisonFan
08-28-2019, 09:12 PM

I wonder if we could do this during an 11 game season also? 6 home games, 1 at Target Field, and 4 away games?

bajadanny
08-28-2019, 11:41 PM
"Per a Star Tribune article last November, the turnstile counts of 15,434 and 15,160 for late season Minnesota home games against Purdue and Northwestern..."

That is crazy. 15,000 fans in a home Big 10 matchup? Is that because it's outdoors?

Might have something to do with the head coach

That guy is tough to take

GreenfieldBison
08-28-2019, 11:48 PM
Might have something to do with the head coach

That guy is tough to take

It’s Minnesota. Apathy regarding collegiate sports abounds because, pros in da house + small market. Also, it’s not Fargo but it DOES get downright chilly here in November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wagsabison
08-29-2019, 12:37 AM
Going to be a fun day. Opponent doesn’t matter in this one. Novelty might wear off if they don’t find a better opponent.

devin45k
08-29-2019, 04:51 PM

People care about the pro sports in the twin cities area. I work in an office of about 30 people and only one of them even half ass pays attention to the gophers. A couple of my coworkers even played baseball for the gophers and could not tell you anything about how their teams are doing.

MNLonghorn10
08-29-2019, 08:21 PM
People care about the pro sports in the twin cities area. I work in an office of about 30 people and only one of them even half ass pays attention to the gophers. A couple of my coworkers even played baseball for the gophers and could not tell you anything about how their teams are doing.Well it's one of those rare major universitys tucked into a top 15 market in the country. The fans are there...the teams have just sucked for 50 years.

ByeSonBusiness
08-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Well it's one of those rare major universitys tucked into a top 15 market in the country. The fans are there...the teams have just sucked for 50 years.

Yeah kinda a tricky spot to be in.

I think UCLA and USC run into the same problem, if they arent good, people dont come.

El_Chapo
08-29-2019, 08:55 PM

i corrected my self below. i meant the college of ndsu won't get anything money wise and my main point is Dave Lil Peter and Twins will make $5 million off of us NDSU fans. wish NDSU was getting more of that cut. that's all.. carry on .

Christopher Moen
08-29-2019, 09:21 PM
i corrected my self below. i meant the college of ndsu won't get anything money wise and my main point is Dave Lil Peter and Twins will make $5 million off of us NDSU fans. wish NDSU was getting more of that cut. that's all.. carry on .

NDSU won't be making anything money-wise? I'm sure that's not true, plus isn't the Twins organization covering the fee NDSU owed Butler for this game. This is a big win for NDSU and its fans. It will be interesting what happens the next time they have a 12 game regular season schedule.

BISON Thunder
08-29-2019, 09:52 PM
People care about the pro sports in the twin cities area. I work in an office of about 30 people and only one of them even half ass pays attention to the gophers. A couple of my coworkers even played baseball for the gophers and could not tell you anything about how their teams are doing.

Was going to reply, “everyone likes a winner”...but being a Vikings fan for almost sixty years, I caught myself.

roadwarrior
08-30-2019, 01:38 AM
NDSU won't be making anything money-wise? I'm sure that's not true, plus isn't the Twins organization covering the fee NDSU owed Butler for this game. This is a big win for NDSU and its fans. It will be interesting what happens the next time they have a 12 game regular season schedule.

Chapo is talking in circles. Please disregard.

Bison"FANatic"
08-30-2019, 01:58 AM
Looks like a good turn out at the Goopher game

El_Chapo
08-30-2019, 03:27 AM
49,112 at TCF

Ya, im talking in circles. my main point is twins and dave lil peter and pohlads are going to make $5 million OFF NDSU. thats it. sorry. carry on.

NDGooch
08-30-2019, 03:41 AM
I am sitting at TCF and there is no where near 49,000. Maybe 34,000.

southcliffbison
08-30-2019, 04:10 AM
49,112 at TCF

Ya, im talking in circles. my main point is twins and dave lil peter and pohlads are going to make $5 million OFF NDSU. thats it. sorry. carry on.

49000 tickets sold; how many went thru the turnstiles?

Christopher Moen
08-30-2019, 04:24 AM
49000 tickets sold; how many went thru the turnstiles?

Sounds about 70% showed up.

Twincitybizon
08-30-2019, 05:02 AM
Sounds about 70% showed up.

We can beat 70%

BadlandsBison
08-30-2019, 12:49 PM
Allegedly it was Minny's largest crowd since 2016.

BisManBison
08-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Allegedly it was Minny's largest crowd since 2016.

Against a lowly FCS team??? That's preposterous!!!

How many would people estimate were turd fans?

MNLonghorn10
08-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Allegedly it was Minny's largest crowd since 2016.Doubt it with Iowa Wisconsin and Nebraska games there

Buffalo.Rider
08-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Too bad the Jacks lost to the U of Minnesota last night.
They played pretty even in the first half.

Second half, Jacks outplayed Minnesota. Minnesota got its 14 second half points on a pick-6 interception, and recovering a Jack's fumble on the 16 yard line late in the game. Took the Gophers 6 plays to go 16 yards, but they got the touchdown to win the game with about 6 minutes to play. Jacks not able to score after that.

Stats wise, Jacks won this game (except for the turnover stat).

southcliffbison
08-30-2019, 03:02 PM
The left side of the gopher O line is monstrous. the announcers said, together, the guard and tackle weigh in at over 700 lbs. I wonder if the coaches have to take them down to the local elevator to have them weighed. One, last thing......they're not very good; slow in fact. The DE for the Jacks was having his way with them.

wagsabison
08-30-2019, 04:05 PM
The left side of the gopher O line is monstrous. the announcers said, together, the guard and tackle weigh in at over 700 lbs. I wonder if the coaches have to take them down to the local elevator to have them weighed. One, last thing......they're not very good; slow in fact. The DE for the Jacks was having his way with them.

Jacks DL was way undersized but did a good job holding their own.

Hammersmith
08-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Doubt it with Iowa Wisconsin and Nebraska games there

According to box scores, it was. And only about 25 people less than 2016 Iowa. Minnesota has fallen quite a ways since the (announced)50k crowds of 2015.

(The Wisc & Neb games were late in the season; cold and poor seasons killed attendance. The 2018 Iowa game was close to 2019 SDSU, but about 1k less.)

Gopher24
08-30-2019, 04:44 PM
Doubt it with Iowa Wisconsin and Nebraska games there

Its true. Larget crowd since 2016. I was at the game. It was definitely tickets sold and not butts in the seats. Empty spots in the uper deck. Give SDSU credit. They played well. I saw alot of green and gold there too.

Multi year Gopher season ticket holder who grew up in Fargo.

PS I would love us to play Bison again at TCF. Bring it on.

Gully
08-30-2019, 04:48 PM
I was there as well. Good crowd but definitely a lot of open seats. SDSU looked like the better team, especially in the 2nd half but the pick six, fumble and kickoff return TD called back were too much to overcome.

EC8CH
08-30-2019, 05:09 PM
I was there as well. Good crowd but definitely a lot of open seats. SDSU looked like the better team, especially in the 2nd half but the pick six, fumble and kickoff return TD called back were too much to overcome.

21 points with a ribbon around them.

Bison bison
08-30-2019, 05:11 PM
Also note that Goldy sold 7,100 tickets as part of a late $10 flash sale.

Bison bison
08-30-2019, 05:14 PM
if they arent good, people dont come.

Sound like my wife.

MNLonghorn10
08-30-2019, 06:58 PM
Its true. Larget crowd since 2016. I was at the game. It was definitely tickets sold and not butts in the seats. Empty spots in the uper deck. Give SDSU credit. They played well. I saw alot of green and gold there too.

Multi year Gopher season ticket holder who grew up in Fargo.

PS I would love us to play Bison again at TCF. Bring it on.That's insane. Thought the other schools with passionate fan bases would fill up the bank.

Thatd be awesome if ndsu and Minnesota became annual. I doubt ndsu fans would care itd be played at Minnesota since theyd hold their own vs the gopher crowd. Sure beats snore fests at the fargodome vs Robert Morris.

Besides... ndsu would be considered a quality win these days [emoji6]

bisonp
08-30-2019, 07:26 PM
Anybody know why the Gophers were carrying around a pipe wrench on the sidelines? I found a thread on Gopherhole but even they don't seem to know what the hell it is supposed to mean.

BadlandsBison
08-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Anybody know why the Gophers were carrying around a pipe wrench on the sidelines? I found a thread on Gopherhole but even they don't seem to know what the hell it is supposed to mean.

From row the boat to fix the leaks. A natural progression.

southcliffbison
08-30-2019, 07:39 PM
From row the boat to fix the leaks. A natural progression.

I get it: "Pipewrench the boat!"

heffray
09-01-2019, 02:19 PM
I get it: "Pipewrench the boat!"

There’s a joke in here about changing it from a boat to a submarine, but it’s too early here...