PDA

View Full Version : The Cutting Edge - Who Would You Pick?

VirginiaBison
05-03-2019, 01:35 AM
The Cutting Edge (https://www.bisonillustrated.com/podcast-the-great-debate/?fbclid=IwAR1JdMiobbA88Wn7C12DBvmLqKUN2P9cUI7XRn5K NnRwI1EgaBKCi0mi8CY) Audio - Who Would You Pick?

Embrace debate! Senior columnist Josh Swanson and editor Nolan Schmidt asked and you delivered. Who would you want under center in crunch time? Carson Wentz, Brock Jensen or Easton Stick?

SITUATION: Championship game, Down by 4 points, with the ball on the home 20, 4th Qtr, 1:45 left on the clock - who is your QB?

Depends on the QB, the O-line, the receivers and RB - supporting the QB and who the opponent is. Not enough info to make a pick.

[PS: Audio is a fun trip down memory lane.... good listening!!]

Herd
05-03-2019, 01:40 AM
Brock Jensen, just saying. Can’t go wrong with any of them, but 16 set his jaw on last minute drives.

bisonaudit
05-03-2019, 01:42 AM
How this is even a question?

It’s Wentz. Everyday and twice on Sundays.

Greta Van Herd
05-03-2019, 01:48 AM
This must be the unofficial mid-trough point of another long off-season.

IzzyFlexion
05-03-2019, 01:51 AM
I'm going with a write in candidate......I'll take Walker.

Herd
05-03-2019, 01:52 AM
How this is even a question?

It’s Wentz. Everyday and twice on Sundays.

After Eastern Washington, Brock’s will to win was off the charts. He had a scowl, he couldn’t be denied. He was going to stomp on your throat, and dance in your end zone. This category is his, hands down. K State, Georgia Southern, end of discussion.

56BISON73
05-03-2019, 01:53 AM
Brock,,,,,,

KSBisonFan
05-03-2019, 01:58 AM
I thought I'd be in the minority but I'm going with Brock. Dude just refused to lose. Easton is 2nd.

2011BisonAlumni
05-03-2019, 02:06 AM
Previous posters are high as a kite or just plain retarded

2014 National Championship Game. Wentz WAS down by 4 with 1:35 to play in the ACTUAL not hypothetical championship game and lead the Bison down the field and ran in the go ahead TD himself.

End this stupid fucking thread. Not worth the debate.

2011BisonAlumni
05-03-2019, 02:09 AM
After Eastern Washington, Brock’s will to win was off the charts. He had a scowl, he couldn’t be denied. He was going to stomp on your throat, and dance in your end zone. This category is his, hands down. K State, Georgia Southern, end of discussion.

Except for the fact that Wentz ACTUALLY DID what was asked in the hypothetical question.....so it is Wentz

Rock
05-03-2019, 02:13 AM
Senior years

With 1:45 left on own 20 I like Wentz.

If it was 0:18 left Walker

If it was 8:13 Brock

If it was Easton we’d be up by 4, but woulda been nice to see them play at top 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greta Van Herd
05-03-2019, 02:14 AM
Except for the fact that Wentz ACTUALLY DID what was asked in the hypothetical question.....so it is Wentz

It is rather comical isn’t it? God, I love the off-season. :)

56BISON73
05-03-2019, 02:16 AM

2014 National Championship Game. Wentz WAS down by 4 with 1:35 to play in the ACTUAL not hypothetical championship game and lead the Bison down the field and ran in the go ahead TD himself.

The DRIVE against Kansas State with him taking it in. Considered the Greatest drive in NDSU history. Or him against GSU sprinting the field with turf toe and the flu and out running everyone.

Brock

56BISON73
05-03-2019, 02:22 AM

If not for Urzendowski doing a circus catch on an under thrown ball we wouldnt have been on the 20. Just saying

Greta Van Herd
05-03-2019, 02:32 AM
If not for Urzendowski doing a circus catch on an under thrown ball we wouldnt have been on the 20. Just saying

No doubt.

But here’s the hypothetical: championship game, down by 4, gotta go 80 yards in less than 2 minutes and you need a receiver to make a big play on an imperfect ball.

Do you take RJ, Ryan Smith, or Shep? :) :)

WeAreThePride
05-03-2019, 02:33 AM
No doubt.

But here’s the hypothetical: championship game, down by 4, gotta go 80 yards in less than 2 minutes and you need a receiver to make a big play on an imperfect ball.

Vraa. 10 char

Vet70
05-03-2019, 02:35 AM

This is confusing. I thought in the first post you used flowery language in declaring the debate over.

56BISON73
05-03-2019, 02:38 AM
No doubt.

RJ for his hands. Vraa would be a go choice also.

Herd
05-03-2019, 02:44 AM

Heckendorf if only 25 seconds left.

Greta Van Herd
05-03-2019, 02:47 AM

They’re all good choices, great choices in fact, but there’s only one that has actually done it within the hypothetical parameters given, which makes the question end up being so comical. :)

56BISON73
05-03-2019, 02:55 AM
Heckendorf if only 25 seconds left.

Loved that catch.

NDSU1980
05-03-2019, 02:59 AM
Loved that catch.

Loved Scottie Miller doing the announcing even better on that play. No call will ever be better.

Vet70
05-03-2019, 03:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY

2011BisonAlumni
05-03-2019, 03:27 AM
The DRIVE against Kansas State with him taking it in. Considered the Greatest drive in NDSU history. Or him against GSU sprinting the field with turf toe and the flu and out running everyone.

Brock

Irrelevant

Again, Wentz ACTUALLY DID what was asked to be debated here ....so.....

It’s like asking if you were down by 1 in Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals and needed one player in NBA history to take the game winning shot, who would it be and you tried saying Lebron James

ndsubison1
05-03-2019, 03:33 AM
Pretty crazy. Theyve all had their moments. But Ill go with Wentz.

56BISON73
05-03-2019, 03:40 AM
Irrelevant

It’s like asking if you were down by 1 in Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals and needed one player in NBA history to take the game winning shot, who would it be and you tried saying Lebron James

I pick Brock. Why--because I put it in to context of how they go to the 20 and the endzone. Body of work who consistently was clutch. I pick Brock

bisonaudit
05-03-2019, 03:44 AM
I’m not sure why there’s so much emphasis on what they did in small sample in a very narrow set of circumstances and so little on actual skill.

Christopher Moen
05-03-2019, 04:02 AM
Just glad to see all three (four if we include, and should, Walker) actually accomplish something similar during their respective careers.

Walker against SHSU, Cal Poly and Cal Davis (?).
Jensen against GSU (second SF game) and 2013 UNI game. KSU is also important.
Wentz against SDSU in 2014 Playoffs and Illinois State in the Championship Game three games later.
Stick against YSU in 2015, EWU and Iowa in 2016. I don't think Easton recovered physically from that Iowa game 100% until the next season.

BisonAccountant44
05-03-2019, 04:25 AM
Grab your pitchforks because here comes an unpopular opinion.

Brock is/was a classic case of the QB getting too much credit for the teams success. He peaked somewhere in his Sophomore year and made me nervous everytime he dropped back to pass after that. He was a good game manager and decent QB, but not great. 2012 Indiana St 2 pick 6's we lose 14-17. Mo State 3 picks and at halftime every single person on this board was calling for him to get benched and replaced with Carson. Going into '13 there wasn't a single person anywhere that believed he was the most talented QB on the team, and the percentage of people here who wanted him to be the starter at K-State was far less than 100.

He was involved in a lot of late game heroics, and again he was a good QB and game manager, but had he been a truly great QB some of the heroics likely wouldn't have been needed.

Carson was/is easily twice the QB Brock was, and Easton is somewhere in the middle.

The answer to this hypothetical is simple once you know what you really want. If you want the most talented all around QB who gives you the best chance to win Carson is the only option. If you want the nestolgic game manager who was involved with a lot of end game dramatics you take Brock, and if you want one in the middle who's got recency bias on his side take Easton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
05-03-2019, 04:37 AM
Nick Mertens

EC8CH
05-03-2019, 04:43 AM
Not really a question of who, but how

Wanna win a comeback with a big QB run, pick Stick.
Wanna win a comeback with a QB dropping NFL level dimes, pick Wentz.
Wanna win a comeback with a soul grinding drive, pick Jensen.

In this specific example with 1:45 left on our own 20, I'm probably going with Wentz. This situation calls for the NFL arm.

scottietohottie
05-03-2019, 11:03 AM
The choices seem so old. I'd give Trey Lance a shot at it.

Vet70
05-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Irrelevant

You keep posting this like it is some sort of trump card (no politics intended). The drive could have very well ended differently if RJ had not bailed him out on an underthrown pass. More importantly, Wentz was the only one of the 3 to have the opportunity to replicate the scenario. It is not like the other two had the same circumstances and failed.

TransAmBison
05-03-2019, 01:33 PM
I have to say...senior Easton Stick makes it real tough. Man...I just don't know. I guess I'm throwing out that scenario because Brock wouldn't have been in it. They would have taken care of business earlier and iced the game. They would have gotten the first downs to finish it off. Carson's team couldn't get those last 1st downs and gave other teams another opportunity. Brock would have won that season opener vs Montana. My top is Brock, then Easton, and then Carson. Brock was the best leader...got the absolute most out of his team as a whole. Carson's team leaned on him...not sure if that is his fault or the coaches.

IzzyFlexion
05-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Putting this here for entertainment purposes......and not argument.

Chicago Tribune HS Football Player of the Year, Steve Walker (Lockport, IL) leads his team 96 yards in 1 minute and 40 seconds to win and advance to the state title game in 2002.

He was magical all season and went on to become one of the all-time greats at NDSU.

The drive starts at 4:09 left in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTf3c3tDPJg

89MTBISON
05-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately for Carson in this scenario, he's on the sideline with his arm in a sling, his knee in a brace and his thumb in a cast. Being able to stay healthy is a big part of being successful in sports. All things considered I'm taking the guy with three championship rings as starter.

totoinfl
05-03-2019, 02:35 PM

I go with Wentz, Jensen close second...the will to win in the KState game, taking the air out of the ball over 8 minutes in front of hostile crowd...hard to pick between the two...Wentz just because it was Natty. The JMU natty game puts Stick in the conversation...just not in the top 2.

Of course I am old...so i could also go with Bentrim and Bison version of the Big Stick.

tony
05-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Putting this here for entertainment purposes......and not argument.

Chicago Tribune HS Football Player of the Year, Steve Walker (Lockport, IL) leads his team 96 yards in 1 minute and 40 seconds to win and advance to the state title game in 2002.

He was magical all season and went on to become one of the all-time greats at NDSU.

The drive starts at 4:09 left in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTf3c3tDPJg

Around the 1:40 mark... holy cow, they talk about Wentz being a gunslinger in Philadelphia, but, really, he's not... he's more methodical. Walker is the definition of gunslinger.

Vet70
05-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately for Carson in this scenario, he's on the sideline with his arm in a sling, his knee in a brace and his thumb in a cast. Being able to stay healthy is a big part of being successful in sports. All things considered I'm taking the guy with three championship rings as starter.

So you are taking the Kobayashi Maru solution to the dilemma? :D

EC8CH
05-03-2019, 02:48 PM
You keep posting this like it is some sort of trump card (no politics intended). The drive could have very well ended differently if RJ had not bailed him out on an underthrown pass. More importantly, Wentz was the only one of the 3 to have the opportunity to replicate the scenario. It is not like the other two had the same circumstances and failed.

UNI comeback drive in the dome. That comeback drive was all Wentz. Deep out laser to Vraa on 4th Down. RJ in the turkey hole for a big chunk. Broken up pass across the middle to fullback Thor that was a dime. Perfect read and touch pass to the corner of the endzone to Shep. Think there was another pass to Vraa across the middle that I missed, but by now you get the picture.

That drive is the trump card. That's the drive that got Wentz picked #2 overall.

You could also argue that Stick failed to pull off a comeback drive against JMU in the semifinal.

Down 4 on their own 20, with 1:45 remaining. Watch Wentz go to work:

http://youtu.be/zUw2MYK31H8?t=8918

tony
05-03-2019, 02:48 PM

Well, Carson has 3 championship rings... it's just that one is a Super Bowl ring.

MankatoBison
05-03-2019, 02:59 PM
First of all, we win the game in every single scenario.

1. Jensen
2. Walker
3. Wentz
4. Stick

Stick is only 4th because he had the fewest chances to demonstrate the come from behind mentality. Normally, he scrapped and scraped his ass off during the first 3 qtrs so we basically NEVER had to have a last minute drive. He showed it at IOWA in a BIG TIME game. so all indications show that he is completely effective in this, but I have to go with the other 3 simply on the premise that they HAD to do this multiple times and all three were MAGIC in those situations

Bisonator98
05-03-2019, 03:02 PM
This is a non debate. WTF even discuss it? Oh well....

The correct answer is Carson Wentz. Guy can beat you with his legs and his arm. Go back and rewatch the last 2 minutes of the 2015 UNI game and tell me Brock or Easton could have made some of those out throws to RJ or Vraa. Not happening, I'm sorry but those guys do not have the same arm talent, it's a fact.

EC8CH
05-03-2019, 03:10 PM
This is a non debate. WTF even discuss it? Oh well....

The correct answer is Carson Wentz. Guy can beat you with his legs and his arm. Go back and rewatch the last 2 minutes of the 2015 UNI game and tell me Brock or Easton could have made some of those out throws to RJ or Vraa. Not happening, I'm sorry but those guys do not have the same arm talent, it's a fact.

That's why I just posted that comeback drive. 1:45 left, no timeouts, down 4 on their own 20 something, 4th and 7. Wentz drove down the field passing the entire way and left 35 seconds on the clock. Stick or Jensen could not do that. Period, end of discussion. Maybe they pull off a win a different way, but I doubt it. I'm a firm believe that without Wentz as QB for that drive, there is no way the Bison win that game. He was cutting up the UNI secondary like a thanksgiving day turkey.

Bison 4 Life
05-03-2019, 03:10 PM

I'm surprised that no one seemed to mention this before now. That's exactly what I thought myself.

Bisonator98
05-03-2019, 03:13 PM
That's why I just posted that comeback drive. 1:45 left, no timeouts, down 4 on their own 20 something, 4th and 7. Wentz drove down the field passing the entire way and left 35 seconds on the clock. Stick or Jensen could not do that. Period, end of discussion. Maybe they pull off a win a different way, but I doubt it. I'm a firm believe that without Wentz as QB for that drive, there is no way the Bison win that game. He was cutting up the UNI secondary like a thanksgiving day turkey.

Yeah I posted before finishing the thread. Exactly right!

MankatoBison
05-03-2019, 03:22 PM
First of all, we win the game in every single scenario.

1. Jensen
2. Walker
3. Wentz
4. Stick

Stick is only 4th because he had the fewest chances to demonstrate the come from behind mentality. Normally, he scrapped and scraped his ass off during the first 3 qtrs so we basically NEVER had to have a last minute drive. He showed it at IOWA in a BIG TIME game. so all indications show that he is completely effective in this, but I have to go with the other 3 simply on the premise that they HAD to do this multiple times and all three were MAGIC in those situations

I watched the UNI ending again... and I have to eat crow. Strike my previous list from the record entirely.

1. Wentz - in 1:45 you have to have the biggest, most accurate arm. Wentz is that guy
2. WALKER - Gunslinger- nuff said. Ice in his veins
3. Jensen - If we start the 4th quarter down- I take Jensen over all the others honestly. Even though walker has an exemplary 4th qtr comeback resume. Lets face it, they all have virtually perfect 4th quarter resumes.
4. Stick - same reason I stated abo

WeAreThePride
05-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Well, Carson has 3 championship rings... it's just that one is a Super Bowl ring.

For which he was injured...

EC8CH
05-03-2019, 03:29 PM
I watched the UNI ending again... and I have to eat crow. Strike my previous list from the record entirely.

1. Wentz - in 1:45 you have to have the biggest, most accurate arm. Wentz is that guy
2. WALKER - Gunslinger- nuff said. Ice in his veins
3. Jensen - If we start the 4th quarter down- I take Jensen over all the others honestly. Even though walker has an exemplary 4th qtr comeback resume. Lets face it, they all have virtually perfect 4th quarter resumes.
4. Stick - same reason I stated abo

This is a solid ranking with excellent reasoning. Under different scenarios I could see a different ranking, but with 1:45 left down 4 on your own 20... these are the traits you're looking for in a QB to lead the required comeback.

bri-dog
05-03-2019, 03:58 PM
I don't like to live in the past. So I'm going with Trey Lance and Christian Watson. :)

89MTBISON
05-03-2019, 04:44 PM
So you are taking the Kobayashi Maru solution to the dilemma? :D

Nah, Brock is the ultimate Bison underdog(oxymoron?). I really don't get all the hate on the, now, second winningest QB in FCS history. Carson threw a bunch of INTs, fumbled the ball, lost games, missed open receivers, etc. Just like Brock and Easton did. Yet for some on here Carson is a god of football. A TEAM led by Brock would beat the same TEAM led by Carson....in my opinion.

heffray
05-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Trey Lance.

The guy would house it from the 50 yard-line even with a botched snap.

TransAmBison
05-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Trey Lance.

The guy would house it from the 50 yard-line even with a botched snap.:rofl: :rofl:

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
05-03-2019, 05:05 PM
For which he was injured...

For which they never would've been in the position they were in (home-field advantage) if it weren't for him.

Bisonator98
05-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Nah, Brock is the ultimate Bison underdog(oxymoron?). I really don't get all the hate on the, now, second winningest QB in FCS history. Carson threw a bunch of INTs, fumbled the ball, lost games, missed open receivers, etc. Just like Brock and Easton did. Yet for some on here Carson is a god of football. A TEAM led by Brock would beat the same TEAM led by Carson....in my opinion.

Where is the "hate"? I think you are over zealous for your love of Brock. We all love all these players. They all were tremendous players and more importantly people. It's a stupid debate because they all are winners and they all did it their way. IMO Brock had the better TEAMS but I don't think he was a better QB or athlete than Carson or Easton.

56BISON73
05-03-2019, 06:25 PM
UNI comeback drive in the dome. That comeback drive was all Wentz. Deep out laser to Vraa on 4th Down. RJ in the turkey hole for a big chunk. Broken up pass across the middle to fullback Thor that was a dime. Perfect read and touch pass to the corner of the endzone to Shep. Think there was another pass to Vraa across the middle that I missed, but by now you get the picture.

That drive is the trump card. That's the drive that got Wentz picked #2 overall.

You could also argue that Stick failed to pull off a comeback drive against JMU in the semifinal.

With Polacek calling plays to run up the middle ? You cant fault Stick. We were out coached tht game. Stick couldnt over come that.

EC8CH
05-03-2019, 06:33 PM
With Polacek calling plays to run up the middle ? You cant fault Stick. We were out coached tht game. Stick couldnt over come that.

I did anticipate the play calling point would be brought up. I personally don't lay the blame for that loss at Easton's feet. Just pointing out it is one of the few examples where an NDSU team did fail to mount a 4th quarter comeback and Easton happened to be QB at the time.

NDSUSR
05-03-2019, 06:36 PM
The obvious answer: We are spoiled beyond belief.

EC8CH
05-03-2019, 06:46 PM
The obvious answer: We are spoiled beyond belief.

We are the the most spoiled fanbase in all of sports. We get to watch a team dominate their division AND dominate the division above when they get to play the role of "underdogs". Seriously, what fanbase in the history of sports has enjoyed anything similar on the scale we have been afforded over the past decade? It's crazy.

TransAmBison
05-03-2019, 06:50 PM
The obvious answer: We are spoiled beyond belief.This sums it up.

wagsabison
05-03-2019, 06:56 PM
Senior years

If it was Easton we’d be up by 4, but woulda been nice to see them play at top 30.

Easton did it in Iowa.

They all had their opportunities. Brock seemed like he did it more often so he’s the one that stands out for me.

IzzyFlexion
05-03-2019, 07:07 PM

Holy smokes......Bailey's hail mary at the end of that game traveled about 67 yards through the air.

Bisonator98
05-03-2019, 07:18 PM
Easton did it in Iowa.

They all had their opportunities. Brock seemed like he did it more often so he’s the one that stands out for me.

Outside of the second semi-final against Georgia Southern and the Kansas State drive what other come from behind late game wins did Brock have? Seriously I don't remember that many.

Wentz had the 2014 SDSU and ISUr games and the 2015 UNI game.

Easton had the Iowa game.

2011BisonAlumni
05-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Grab your pitchforks because here comes an unpopular opinion.

Brock is/was a classic case of the QB getting too much credit for the teams success. He peaked somewhere in his Sophomore year and made me nervous everytime he dropped back to pass after that. He was a good game manager and decent QB, but not great. 2012 Indiana St 2 pick 6's we lose 14-17. Mo State 3 picks and at halftime every single person on this board was calling for him to get benched and replaced with Carson. Going into '13 there wasn't a single person anywhere that believed he was the most talented QB on the team, and the percentage of people here who wanted him to be the starter at K-State was far less than 100.

He was involved in a lot of late game heroics, and again he was a good QB and game manager, but had he been a truly great QB some of the heroics likely wouldn't have been needed.

Carson was/is easily twice the QB Brock was, and Easton is somewhere in the middle.

The answer to this hypothetical is simple once you know what you really want. If you want the most talented all around QB who gives you the best chance to win Carson is the only option. If you want the nestolgic game manager who was involved with a lot of end game dramatics you take Brock, and if you want one in the middle who's got recency bias on his side take Easton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If Carson is starting at QB in 2013 and was surrounded by that team, NDSU beats K State by 2 TD’s and there is no need for an 8 minute drive at the end.

2011BisonAlumni
05-03-2019, 07:24 PM
I have to say...senior Easton Stick makes it real tough. Man...I just don't know. I guess I'm throwing out that scenario because Brock wouldn't have been in it. They would have taken care of business earlier and iced the game. They would have gotten the first downs to finish it off. Carson's team couldn't get those last 1st downs and gave other teams another opportunity. Brock would have won that season opener vs Montana. My top is Brock, then Easton, and then Carson. Brock was the best leader...got the absolute most out of his team as a whole. Carson's team leaned on him...not sure if that is his fault or the coaches.

Doubt it....unless Brock was able to play secondary in that game.

runtheoption
05-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Seriously, what fanbase in the history of sports has enjoyed anything similar on the scale we have been afforded over the past decade? It's crazy.
Celtics fans from 1957-1969
Yankees fans from the late 20's to the early 60's
UCLA basketball fans from 1964-1975
Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Rocky Marciano fans
Tiger Woods fans from 1997-2008
Arguably Patriot fans since 2002
Montreal Canadians fans from 1951-1960
Cal rugby since 1980
New Zealand All Blacks fans since 1905

EC8CH
05-03-2019, 08:05 PM
Cal rugby since 1980

Did any of those fanbases get to pretend to be the underdogs while repeatedly beating higher division teams?

runtheoption
05-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Did any of those fanbases get to pretend to be the underdogs while repeatedly beating higher division teams?

No​...............

bri-dog
05-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Cal rugby since 1980

You forgot The Harlem Globetrotters. For like, forever. :nod:

ndsubison1
05-03-2019, 09:07 PM
Didnt Wentz do it against Coastal Carolina as well?

Vet70
05-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Didnt Wentz do it against Coastal Carolina as well?

All of the scorings was over with 9 plus minutes left, 39-32.

Vet70
05-03-2019, 09:32 PM

How was Wentz the year before against UNI? He owed us one.

EC8CH
05-03-2019, 09:36 PM
No​...............

That is why we are a unique kind of spoiled.

HerdBot
05-04-2019, 12:02 AM

That was an underthrown go route so by design and the corner ended up falling down, it looked like he was trying to fake an offense PI. But on the flip side the throw before that to Crockett grazed his finger tips. Game of inches literally

HerdBot
05-04-2019, 12:05 AM
Senior years

Walkers last career throw was a pick vs SDSU on a game winning drive. But he had many great ones before that.

56BISON73
05-04-2019, 02:40 AM

The senior bowl practices and the interviews is what nailed it and got him the #2.

56BISON73
05-04-2019, 02:41 AM
That was an underthrown go route so by design and the corner ended up falling down, it looked like he was trying to fake an offense PI. But on the flip side the throw before that to Crockett grazed his finger tips. Game of inches literally

:rofl::rofl:

EC8CH
05-04-2019, 02:51 AM
The senior bowl practices and the interviews is what nailed it and got him the #2.

You got me there. That drive is Wentz's most impressive college series though.

ndsubison1
05-04-2019, 03:47 AM
They should do a debate of Unit by Unit. Which OL, RB core, DLine? Good offseason debate.

Rock
05-04-2019, 03:55 AM
Walkers last career throw was a pick vs SDSU on a game winning drive. But he had many great ones before that.

What an embarrassment of riches. Not only the wins- but every QB in the recent stretch had some really fun and exciting comeback wins- brought a little different ability to the table. All that that win ability.

So good to be a Bison fan. Let’s argue hypotheticals over who would have won by more in this particular situation!

Give me Kevin Feeney and the ‘69 team around him and I’ll show you ‘85 Penn State with brown stomped through their white pants!

Herd
05-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Walker to Majic at UC Davis was an epic drive. One of the best non-playoff wins ever after being down big.

scottietohottie
05-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Walker to Majic at UC Davis was an epic drive. One of the best non-playoff wins ever after being down big.

I saw it on the radio. Hard to believe every game is televised now. Pretty soon these bison QBs are just going to expect to get drafted.

CaBisonFan
05-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Walker to Majic at UC Davis was an epic drive. One of the best non-playoff wins ever after being down big....and the win at Cal Poly was epic also.

NDSU92
05-04-2019, 01:54 PM
...and the win at Cal Poly was epic also.

I always thought that right around halftime of the Montana game in ‘03 that some Bison fan cut a deal with God. Fate has been on our side almost non-stop ever since.

CaBisonFan
05-04-2019, 01:55 PM
I always thought that right around halftime of the Montana game in ‘03 that some Bison fan cut a deal with God. Fate has been on our side almost non-stop ever since.
.....agreed.....

wagsabison
05-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Outside of the second semi-final against Georgia Southern and the Kansas State drive what other come from behind late game wins did Brock have? Seriously I don't remember that many.

Good point. I don’t remember ha. For whatever reason in my mind it felt like he had more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vet70
05-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Good point. I don’t remember ha. For whatever reason in my mind it felt like he had more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on how you define "late game". In 2013 the Bison were losing to UNI going into the 4th 23-10. At 23-17 with 6:57 left a 74-yard winning drive with 2:46 left.

Vet70
05-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Stick 4 yard run against YSU in 2015 to win it 27-24 with 35 seconds left.

tjamz
05-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Late to chime in, but here's my thoughts:

1st there isn't really a bad choice.

Carson gets my nod IF we plan on going deep on the pass plays and/or if we need a QB who can make incredible reads at the LOS pre-snap and adjust his protections for what he wants to run.
Brock if we think we can run multiple out patterns to keep the clock stopped and then need a QB who can punch it in from 4 yards out.
Stick if we truly want the guy that can attack short/mid field, stay in the pocket knowing a hit is coming (and get back up after) and be a constant threat to house it on a run while also calling his protections and making pre-snap reads/adjustments.

Twincitybizon
05-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Deep into the off-season, we have come.

Bison"FANatic"
05-04-2019, 05:15 PM

Well I was saying my marriage vows right then
so ................
I guess I had to take one for the team, you guys are welcome.

IzzyFlexion
05-04-2019, 06:56 PM
deep into the off-season, we have come.

iswydt...………….

semobison
05-05-2019, 12:58 AM

Walker had some big comebacks. Sam Houston in the dome, Poly and Davis, anyone remember the Ball State game? At the time Bison fans hadn't seen anything like it. Yep, he was a gunslinger! It's a damn shame he didn't get the opportunity to play in the post season.

Facts
05-05-2019, 02:04 AM

QB of that game was Tony Stauss. He went 22-31 for 165. Steffes ran for 103.

CalBison97
05-05-2019, 05:23 AM

...and the win at Cal Poly was epic also.

I was at both epic games. Feelings of dejection quickly evolved to elation! It was my native Californian wife’s introduction to Bison nation...she understood from then on my obsession.

SlickVic
05-05-2019, 09:15 AM
Wentz

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UIiwWcC2kGg

AKBison
05-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Senior years

Great post and my sentiments exactly!

56BISON73
05-05-2019, 07:06 PM
Walker had some big comebacks. Sam Houston in the dome, Poly and Davis, anyone remember the Ball State game? At the time Bison fans hadn't seen anything like it. Yep, he was a gunslinger! It's a damn shame he didn't get the opportunity to play in the post season.

Gotta give all those guys huge reps knowing that they couldnt play in the playoffs.

Bison 4 Life
05-06-2019, 12:32 PM
App State's run might not have happened.

Buffalo.Rider
05-06-2019, 01:30 PM
Paul Hatchett should be in this discussion of the great NDSU quarterbacks. Oop, went back and checked. He was a running back, not a QB. Me bad.

southcliffbison
05-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Paul Hatchett should be in this discussion of the great NDSU quarterbacks. Oop, went back and checked. He was a running back, not a QB. Me bad.

Thread drift, sorry. Paul Hatchett...… what a great Bison footballer; however, had he been playing in the past 10 to 15 years, his career at NDSU would have been short, very short. Back in the mid to late 60's , the media didn't take such an active interest in the off the field conduct of players. Or, they were asked not to.

Buffalo.Rider
05-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Thread drift, sorry. Paul Hatchett...… what a great Bison footballer; however, had he been playing in the past 10 to 15 years, his career at NDSU would have been short, very short. Back in the mid to late 60's , the media didn't take such an active interest in the off the field conduct of players. Or, they were asked not to.

It may have been. He was a suspect in a couple things, from what I understand, but he was not arrested.
Sad story on how he 'disappeared' after his time at NDSU. He is probably the most high profile former Bison to fall so far.

Vet70
05-06-2019, 09:08 PM
It may have been. He was a suspect in a couple things, from what I understand, but he was not arrested.
Sad story on how he 'disappeared' after his time at NDSU. He is probably the most high profile former Bison to fall so far.

There is no doubt that he is the best Bison football player not to be in the Hall of Fame. His off-field difficulties cost him.

KC Bison
05-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Enjoying the popcorn.

VirginiaBison
05-10-2019, 10:46 PM
Enjoying the popcorn.

Yep - great trip down memory lane with all the comments!

heffray
05-15-2019, 03:22 PM
A friend of mine just texted me and told me that he is interviewing an NDSU grad for a position and asked me if there is anything he should ask him. I told him to ask the cutting edge question in this thread. I also told him that if he doesn't know who Brock or Easton are not to hire him, also that if he answers with Steve Walker to hire him on the spot.

I'll keep you all posted with the results...

56BISON73
05-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Plus you have to go to class and make notable progress towards a degree.

heffray
05-17-2019, 02:02 AM
A friend of mine just texted me and told me that he is interviewing an NDSU grad for a position and asked me if there is anything he should ask him. I told him to ask the cutting edge question in this thread. I also told him that if he doesn't know who Brock or Easton are not to hire him, also that if he answers with Steve Walker to hire him on the spot.

I'll keep you all posted with the results...

He chose Wentz. Vanilla pick. Maybe the right pick.

Anyway, carry on...

BisonAccountant44
05-17-2019, 02:52 PM
He chose Wentz,. Vanilla pick. Maybe the only pick.

Fixed it for you

td577
05-19-2019, 03:45 PM
I thought Doug Dorsey was a bold pick, but not the right one. There had to be some other choice than to go to the hockey world for a partner.

bisoneer
05-24-2019, 11:23 PM
Deep into the off-season, we have come.

I would vote for any of the 3 but the most memorable one for me was #16 vs Georgia So. and vs. K State. Who had the 2003 pass to the TE vs the Grizz? That was fantastic too! Was it our running back?

Vet70
05-24-2019, 11:48 PM
I would vote for any of the 3 but the most memorable one for me was #16 vs Georgia So. and vs. K State. Who had the 2003 pass to the TE vs the Grizz? That was fantastic too! Was it our running back?

Rod Malone to Mike Wieser.

bisoneer
05-25-2019, 12:42 AM
Rod Malone to Mike Weezer (SP?).

Yes! I think Stauss was our qb but the play was a fake field goal IMO?

Vet70
05-25-2019, 01:26 AM
Yes! I think Stauss was our qb but the play was a fake field goal IMO?

https://gobison.com/news/2003/9/6/94151.aspx

Facts
05-25-2019, 01:38 AM
I thought Doug Dorsey was a bold pick, but not the right one. There had to be some other choice than to go to the hockey world for a partner.

He overcame the toe-pick; very challenging.