PDA

View Full Version : Drake Relays (April 2019)

IzzyFlexion
04-25-2019, 04:56 PM
The College/University divisions get under way today in Des Moines.

Through 7 events, NDSU's Ryan Enerson is the top collegian in the DECATHLON (very small field and I have no idea as to why that is).

Also, a small group in the Women's HEPTATHLON. No Bison in the field. I wonder why new NDSU school record holder, Amanda Levin, is not competing?

She is entered in the Women's LONG JUMP tomorrow morning and that's it for her.

CyPanth
04-25-2019, 05:05 PM
The Drake Relays are pretty cool (I know, much cooler than we deserve in Iowa).

If you have never seen the pole vault competition, take a look at this video from last year.

https://whotv.com/2019/04/24/2019-drake-relays-pole-vault-expects-crowd-of-3000-wednesday/

Or this one from a few years ago.

https://whotv.com/2014/04/23/drake-relays-mall-pole-vault-truly-unique/

IzzyFlexion
04-25-2019, 10:04 PM
Enerson must have hurt himself during the PV or on his first attempt in the Javelin.

He fouled on his 1st attempt (JV) and passed on the final 2. And, he did not run the 1,500. He was on pace to be right around 7,000 points.

IzzyFlexion
04-26-2019, 06:32 PM
SHOT PUT is complete.

Alex Talley: 3rd.
Kristoffer Thomsen: 7th.
Michael Keogan: 9th.

None of these three guys PRd.

Payton Otterdahl will throw tomorrow in the Invitational Shot Put Division. He will compete against Ryan Crouser again this week.

Buffalo.Rider
04-27-2019, 02:49 PM
SHOT PUT is complete.

Alex Talley: 3rd.
Kristoffer Thomsen: 7th.
Michael Keogan: 9th.

None of these three guys PRd.

I don't know whether that was meant as a jab .... from my perspective, they still threw well - NDSU is the only school with three in the top 10. No one throws a PR in every meet. Moton (women's shot) didn't PR either, but she also threw well (she won the Drake Relays shot put competition.)

The weather at Drake (as usual) was not ideal and usually isn't - almost always on the cool side and often with a little rain - and this affects performances.

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2019, 03:48 PM
I don't know whether that was meant as a jab .... from my perspective, they still threw well - NDSU is the only school with three in the top 10. No one throws a PR in every meet. Moton (women's shot) didn't PR either, but she also threw well (she won the Drake Relays shot put competition.)

The weather at Drake (as usual) was not ideal and usually isn't - almost always on the cool side and often with a little rain - and this affects performances.

No. I don't throw jabs at NDSU Track & Field athletes. They don't get enough respect and coverage the way it is.

Simply reporting facts regarding shot put results.

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Amy Herrington wins the Women's Hammer.

No athlete hit 200' today.

She takes 1st with a throw of 197' 1"

Hannah Frost finishes 5th and Bailey Retzlaff 7th.

The weather in Des Moines is horseshit today. It's rainy and in the upper 40s. The wind is out of the NE at 20 mph.

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2019, 07:11 PM
Alex Talley hits a real nice PR in the HAMMER prelims going 213' 9" moving into 4th place with 3 throws to go.

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2019, 07:32 PM
The weather must be deteriorating in Des Moines.

6 of the 9 finalists in the LONG JUMP opted out of their last three jumps including Brandon Lewis and Ben Klimpke of NDSU.

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Talley jumped into 3rd throwing yet another PR on his final throw going 217' 8".

This moves him from #5 to # 3 all time at SU.

westnodak93bison
04-27-2019, 08:01 PM
Anyone know why they schedule this meet so early? Fairly prestigious meet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Payton Otterdahl finishes 2nd in the "Big Boy" shot put event to Ryan Crouser.

Otterdah's best throw came on his 5th throw registering a mark of 68' 1"

No thrower, including Crouser, (69' 3 1/4") were able to hit the 70 foot mark in the cool, rainy, and windy conditions in Des Moines.

Payton was the only college athlete selected to participate in this Invitational Shot Put competition.

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2019, 08:08 PM
Anyone know why they schedule this meet so early? Fairly prestigious meet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It was on April 27th last year and in 2017, April 28th.

In Des Moines, I think that it is late enough in the Spring to expect decent weather......just shitty luck, I guess.

CyPanth
04-27-2019, 09:08 PM
It was on April 27th last year and in 2017, April 28th.

In Des Moines, I think that it is late enough in the Spring to expect decent weather......just shitty luck, I guess.

37 degrees and drizzly in Ames right now. Brrrr. Horrible for track and field. And it was warm and dry just a few days ago. Seems like they have had some really bad luck on weather in recent years for the Drake Relays. Cue the Iowa Sucks comments.

Buffalo.Rider
04-29-2019, 01:23 PM
37 degrees and drizzly in Ames right now. Brrrr. Horrible for track and field. And it was warm and dry just a few days ago. Seems like they have had some really bad luck on weather in recent years for the Drake Relays. Cue the Iowa Sucks comments.

Late spring weather, or the occasional winter redux - there was snow in southern MN and into Wisconsin yesterday - hurts mainly the athletes who are on the cusp of qualifying. Too cold, rain with cool temps, or too much wind, can be the difference between them qualifying for the NCAAs or not.

Sioux Falls next weekend - forecast is 65-70 with sun. Not ideal conditions - 75-85 would be better - but quite good, especially if little to no wind.
Next opportunity would be the Summit Meet - in Illinois in mid-May. Hopefully good weather.

Too bad the season is over for a lot of athletes by mid-May, before the weather gets ideal. The March CA, TX, etc meets are good, but training wise the athletes aren't yet training to reach their peak. I wish NDSU would send some of their non-NCAA-qualifying athletes to the Jim Bush Invitational (early June) or another meet so they get one 'good weather' event in around the time they are peaking. NDSU used to do this and it helped some athletes - see NDSU men's 3000m Steeplechase, 800m, 1500m, for example; all three school records set at Jim Bush or the Am. Miler's Club meet (Indiana?) in early June.