PDA

View Full Version : IAA extra point

somebison
09-08-2005, 02:04 AM
No. 20 North Dakota State (1-0) at No. 9 Northwestern State (1-0), 7:00

The Demons surged to score a big road win against UL-Monroe. Northwestern State carries that success, the home field advantage, and a revenge factor for last year’s game into the contest with North Dakota State. Those factors could spell trouble for the Bison, who play their first of four road games against ranked opponents. Northwestern State finished 6-0 in Natchitoches last year and scored at least 40 points in every victory. Davon Vinson is coming of age after throwing three touchdown passes in last week’s win, and the NSU running game and defense are strengths again. North Dakota State had an easy time against Arkansas-Monticello, but has a young offensive line and defense trying to shut down the Demons. Northwestern State has another I-A date next week. They’ll go into that matchup with two impressive wins to start the season after beating the Bison. Prediction: Northwestern State 31, North Dakota State 10

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN3978563.htm

roadwarrior
09-08-2005, 03:06 AM
Ouch >:(

kchats
09-08-2005, 03:59 AM
He was pretty high on the Bison in the preseason. Wonder what changed his mind to think blowout. I doubt a blowout, the Bison may lose but it will be by 7 or less.

BisonMav
09-08-2005, 12:38 PM
From I-AA.org

I-AA Link (http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72009)

9. Northwestern State (1-0) vs. No. 20 North Dakota State (1-0)
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Series: NDSU leads 1-0
Northwestern State opened the season with a 27-23 win over former Southland member and current NCAA I-A opponent Louisiana-Monroe. It was the 12th win in the last six years for an SLC team over a I-A program. Quarterback Davon Vinson was named Southland player of the week along with being honored as the national player of the week. Vinson accounted for 311 yards of total offense. The comeback from a 23-point deficit last week at ULM, the best since Northwestern's athletic program went Division I in 1977, is believed to be the best in school history but nearly all records were destroyed in a 1981 fire. Last year, Northwestern let a 17-7 halftime lead evaporate as NDSU scored 23 unanswered points in the second half for the 30-17 win.

Bison_Dan
09-08-2005, 01:02 PM
We'll see. The Bison have an up hill battle no doubt, but if our defense can hold together it'll be close.

clipperguy
09-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Always fun reading these boards before a game when the Bison are an underdog. In case I am the only bison fan who has noticed this team still hasn't played a real game and presumably still has holes. There QB is tough and I don't find the blowout loss a suprise. I would love to see a close game but I wouldn't expect it. To many unproven players who need to grow up ASAP to win down south.

BisonMav
09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
*In case I am the only bison fan who has noticed this team still hasn't played a real game and presumably still has holes. *

Apparently you have not read Kchats post about playing DII teams? Could you please talk to us, not down to us?

WYOBISONMAN
09-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Then again..........the Bison could very well win this if the right things click. I would not count the herd down and out. Perhaps they are a bit of an underdog in this one, but there is a lot of reason to see how they could win this one too....

Bisonguy
09-08-2005, 02:49 PM
This game will be the first true measuring stick for NDSU, but it's still a winnable game for the underdog.

bisononce
09-08-2005, 03:23 PM
NSU has a marginal running game, new offensive line and the quarterback is erratic. Bison win. *;D

Gamehunter
09-08-2005, 05:32 PM
I believe their entire OL only returned 1 starter from last year. Correct, no??? I have a feeling that if we can somehow contain the running game, the secondary will have no problem doing its job in the backfield. I highly doubt it will be a blowout, as I don't think NSU's offense will be able to do a whole lot against our D. But the same goes for us. NSU's defense is better than our D, but I also believe our O is better than their O.

In order for NSU to win, Davon will need to be on top of his game for the ENTIRE game, not just 1 half. If he has a game like Monroe 2nd half, then NSU will probably cruise to a 1-2TD win. Anything more than 3 turnovers and I think NSU may turn out on the short end of the stick.

Hopefully Steffes can go out and get it done on Saturday. He wasn't very efficient last year against NWST, and Chapman probably wont be up to full speed by then.

tony
09-08-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't think the writer is any less high on NDSU, it's just that NW State is probably about as good as it gets in DI-AA right now and they probably match up pretty well against NDSU.

Bisonguy
09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
I believe their entire OL only returned 1 starter from last year. *Correct, no??? *I have a feeling that if we can somehow contain the running game, the secondary will have no problem doing its job in the backfield. *I highly doubt it will be a blowout, as I don't think NSU's offense will be able to do a whole lot against our D. *But the same goes for us. *NSU's defense is better than our D, but I also believe our O is better than their O.

In order for NSU to win, Davon will need to be on top of his game for the ENTIRE game, not just 1 half. *If he has a game like Monroe 2nd half, then NSU will probably cruise to a 1-2TD win. *Anything more than 3 turnovers and I think NSU may turn out on the short end of the stick.

Hopefully Steffes can go out and get it done on Saturday. *He wasn't very efficient last year against NWST, and Chapman probably wont be up to full speed by then. *

Don't know exactly who is returrning for NSU, but the two-deep from last year's program shows their starting LG, C, and RT were all seniors last year. None of the backups were seniors, however. The only other senior starter on offense for them last year was the fullback (and the backup).

bisondad
09-08-2005, 06:14 PM
I hope Chapman is back and can run effectively on Sat. He along with Steffes make quite a potent backfield. But, one without the other is not nearly as effective. It's going to take a big effort to win, but i think if NDSU doesn't turn the ball over, they will win.

Bisondad

Dallas_Demon
09-09-2005, 04:02 AM
I believe their entire OL only returned 1 starter from last year. *Correct, no??? *I have a feeling that if we can somehow contain the running game, the secondary will have no problem doing its job in the backfield. *I highly doubt it will be a blowout, as I don't think NSU's offense will be able to do a whole lot against our D. *But the same goes for us. *NSU's defense is better than our D, but I also believe our O is better than their O.

In order for NSU to win, Davon will need to be on top of his game for the ENTIRE game, not just 1 half. *If he has a game like Monroe 2nd half, then NSU will probably cruise to a 1-2TD win. *Anything more than 3 turnovers and I think NSU may turn out on the short end of the stick.

Hopefully Steffes can go out and get it done on Saturday. *He wasn't very efficient last year against NWST, and Chapman probably wont be up to full speed by then. *

The offensive (and defensive) lines manhandled ULM last week in the second half. We did lose some from last year and the offensive line is relatively young, however we did get some transfers (one first team all-SEC I think) and some good redshirt freshmen that are now playing.

We're very deep in the running back area. We did lose Johnese (Green Bay Packers/Preseason), but everyone else is back plus more.

Our defense is just plain tough, should be better than last year as almost everyone is back plus more depth.

Bottom line, we play like the first half at ULM the Bison will win. We play like the second half at ULM we win.

Bisonguy
09-09-2005, 04:40 AM
I hope Chapman is back and can run effectively on Sat. *He along with Steffes make quite a potent backfield. *But, one without the other is not nearly as effective. *It's going to take a big effort to win, but i think if NDSU doesn't turn the ball over, they will win. *

Bisondad

Bohl stated on Bison Feedback tonight that he's on the tail end of the recovery, and should be near full-strength for the game.

Bison players also started their hydration regimen tonight to deal with the heat.

BISON_PRIDE
09-09-2005, 09:15 AM
I wonder if there will be any residual effects from the hurricane activity for NSU. *Sure the field is in good order, but how many players had families or friends who had to evacuate? *Also a big come from behind victory on the road against Monroe, I just think they might be due for a let-down. *They have great talent for sure, but emotionally they might be exhausted.

ralph
09-09-2005, 09:58 AM
"Not since 1994 has Northwestern lost a regular-season game at home to a non-conference opponent. The Demons have a 22-game string of regular-season wins in Turpin Stadium against non-league foes."

Bison_Dan
09-09-2005, 01:07 PM
"Not since 1994 has Northwestern lost a regular-season game at home to a non-conference opponent. The Demons have a 22-game string of regular-season wins in Turpin Stadium against non-league foes."

Montana had a streak too!

Gamehunter
09-09-2005, 04:40 PM

But when is the last time they have had a ranked "non-conference" opponent visit their stadium during the "regular" season?

I don't put much stock into winning streaks like that. Just about the time people start talking about it, it all goes down the drain.

swaghook
09-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Streaks are meant to be broken. Let's just hope the Bison are the ones to do so. 8)

Tatanka
09-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Montana had a streak too!

When we're done with these guys the only streak will be in teh back of their trousers! GO HERD!!!

BisonMav
09-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Clipper
2 North Dakota State Bison Athletics / Football / Re: IAA extra point Sep 8th, 2005, 8:21am
Always fun reading these boards before a game when the Bison are an underdog. In case I am the only bison fan who has noticed this team still hasn't played a real game and presumably still has holes. There QB is tough and I don't find the blowout loss a suprise. I would love to see a close game but I wouldn't expect it. To many unproven players who need to grow up ASAP to win down south.

We don't need no stinking experts!!

bisononce
09-11-2005, 03:53 AM
NSU has a marginal running game, new offensive line and the quarterback is erratic. Bison win. *;D
Hey fellas...

BisBison
09-11-2005, 05:04 AM
Hey fellas...
Good call once. What do'ya think about Weber? they are getting trounced tonite.

kchats
09-11-2005, 05:05 AM
Fresno State is a very good Division I-A program. I wouldn't read too much into it.

bisononce
09-11-2005, 05:14 AM
BisBison: I agree with kchats, Fresno State is an overmatch going against Weber State. Next week's Bison game v. Weber will be like the old going against South Dakota/ Morningside/ Augustana days. ;)