PDA

View Full Version : 2019 NCAA National Championships

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 04:45 PM
#10 Brent Fleetwood wins 2-0 against #23 Carmen Ferrante (Penn).

#21 Cam Sykora loses 3-2 to #12 Montorie Bridges (Wyoming).

RadioBison
03-21-2019, 04:48 PM
Fleetwood went the escape and ride-out route to beat Ferrante 2-0.

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 05:34 PM
#13 Andrew Fogarty is currently in the hole on Mat #6. He'll be wrestling #20 Tyler Marinelli of Gardner-Webb.

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 05:49 PM
#24 Lorenzo De La Riva is currently in the hole on Mat #5. He'll be wrestling #9 Devin Skatzka of Minnesota.

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 05:50 PM
Andrew Fogarty is now up on Mat #6.

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 05:59 PM
#13 Andrew Fogarty wins by Tech Fall 17-2 over #20 Tyler Marinelli (Gardner-Webb).

bri-dog
03-21-2019, 06:02 PM
#24 Lorenzo De La Riva is currently in the hole on Mat #5. He'll be wrestling #9 Devin Skatzka of Minnesota.

Hopefully they can fix that hole on mat #5 before he's up. Oh, wait... :D

Big Bird
03-21-2019, 06:03 PM
Fogarty looked fantastic.

Bridges knew Cam's only shots and was never in danger.

Fleetwood didnt wrestle well. Pat Glory looked fantastic in his first match. Unless things change dramatically, its hard to see Fleetwood winning that one

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Lorenzo De La Riva is now up on Mat #5.

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Hopefully they can fix that hole on mat #5 before he's up. Oh, wait... :D

Holes in mat = broken ankles. Happened to me and a teammate back in 1999. We got new mats for the practice room and used them to cover the old mats. Unfortunately, the older bottom mats had separated in the seams and making a wrong step painful.

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 06:16 PM
#24 Lorenzo De La Riva loses by Major Decision 15-3 to #9 Devin Skatzka (Minnesota).

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 08:15 PM
When the next session starts, #10 Brent Fleetwood will be in the hole on Mat #1. He'll be wrestling #7 Pat Glory of Princeton.

Big Bird
03-21-2019, 10:26 PM
Fleetwood can win this match but he has to be very solid in his re-attacks. Glory is a go-er and will sometimes shoot himself out of position. Fleetwood needs to pick his spots correctly and execute aggressive counterattacks. Glory is good on top too, so Fleetwood needs to have real urgency on bottom and keep his hands out in front if he gets, mat returned.

Fogarty, has a really tough matchup but he's been wrestling well. Wick took third last year and is a monster on top; where he uses his incredible length to dominate. In my eyes, Fogarty can't pick down. Wick can be taken down, and I think Andrew's best chance is staying extremely heavy on the head and taking single legs. Wick has also had struggles on bottom, which could open him up to Fogarty's physicality and turns. It is an incredibly tough matchup, but not an unwinnable one.

I talked to Bridges after the round and he said he knew Cam's swing single and dump were the only shots he would initiate. He also said he is fine picking down due to his strength and just focuses on keeping his wrists out front. This round, Cam doesn't have a conference foe who is familiar with him, so it should go better and I expect bonus points.

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 11:23 PM
Brent Fleetwood is now up on Mat #1.

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 11:32 PM
#10 Brent Fleetwood loses by Major Decision 10-0 to #7 Pat Glory (Princeton).

Christopher Moen
03-21-2019, 11:49 PM
#13 Andrew Fogarty is currently in the hole on Mat #8. He'll be wrestling #4 Evan Wick of Wisconsin.

Christopher Moen
03-22-2019, 12:05 AM
Andrew Fogarty is now up on Mat #8.

Christopher Moen
03-22-2019, 12:15 AM
#13 Andrew Fogarty loses 9-2 to #4 Evan Wick (Wisconsin).

harleycowboy
03-22-2019, 02:52 AM
Consolation round Sykora won and De la Riva lost and I think both were majors.

Big Bird
03-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Really tough matchup for Cam to stay alive. He has returning All American Tariq Wilson, who had national champ Seth Gross on the ropes last year. He is exceptional on his feet and did alright on bottom vs Ethan Lizak, who is even better than Cam on top. He'll have to keep it close on his feet and get a turn or two on top.

Fleetwood should beat Heinselman. He is very active, but not strong, and can struggle on bottom. After Heinselman, he'd likely have Elijah Oliver who has had a great past two weeks.

Fogarty should beat Skigdel too. After that he'd likely have Te'Shan Campbell who is beatable, but I would favor him over Fogarty.

AKBison
03-22-2019, 05:31 PM
Really tough matchup for Cam to stay alive. He has returning All American Tariq Wilson, who had national champ Seth Gross on the ropes last year. He is exceptional on his feet and did alright on bottom vs Ethan Lizak, who is even better than Cam on top. He'll have to keep it close on his feet and get a turn or two on top.

Fleetwood should beat Heinselman. He is very active, but not strong, and can struggle on bottom. After Heinselman, he'd likely have Elijah Oliver who has had a great past two weeks.

Fogarty should beat Skigdel too. After that he'd likely have Te'Shan Campbell who is beatable, but I would favor him over Fogarty.

How does Fleetwood vs Purdue's Schroeder shake out? Fogerty gets Te'Shan as you predicted. If they win these matches they wrestle for All American correct?

Christopher Moen
03-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Team Points Detail For: North Dakota State

Weight Class
Name (Grade - Place)
Advancement Points
Activity Points
Placement Points
Total Points

Brent Fleetwood (?? - ??)

Cam Sykora (?? - ??)

Andrew Fogarty (?? - ??)

Lorenzo De La Riva (?? - ??)

Bout 310 - Official claims coach heckling from corner

Total Team Points

The coaches' emotions got the best of them in De La Riva's last match against Wyoming. Losing a team point is huge in this event. Right now, with that point, NDSU would be tied for 28th. Instead, they're tied for 34th.

Christopher Moen
03-22-2019, 05:37 PM
How does Fleetwood vs Purdue's Schroeder shake out? Fogerty gets Te'Shan as you predicted. If they win these matches they wrestle for All American correct?

To be an All-American, both Fleetwood and Fogarty have to win their next two matches. Losers of the Consolation Quarterfinals, wrestle for 7th and 8th place.

Snake
03-22-2019, 06:23 PM
So not only do our wrestlers decline every year this at this time under Roger he is stupid too. Perfect.

Gladiator Dad
03-23-2019, 02:39 PM
So not only do our wrestlers decline every year this at this time under Roger he is stupid too. Perfect.

So to be perfectly clear here the so called “badgering of an official” has a little more to the story. DeLaRiva gets hit with a hands to the face call by the outside official. Kish asked was asking him in what sequence did this occur since when the call was made both wrestlers were on their feet. The outside office said he was trying to get the main officials attention for about 10 seconds prior to the point being awarded. Kish wanted clarification on when it occurred so he could throw the brick for review and all the outside officials kept saying was he saw hands to the face and wouldn’t tell Kish the sequence when he saw it. So Kish asked him again and that’s when he was hit with the unsportsmanlike. So if a coach fighting for his wrestler is what you consider to be stupid then I think your a complete idiot.

Loose Lips
03-23-2019, 03:16 PM
So to be perfectly clear here the so called “badgering of an official” has a little more to the story. DeLaRiva gets hit with a hands to the face call by the outside official. Kish asked was asking him in what sequence did this occur since when the call was made both wrestlers were on their feet. The outside office said he was trying to get the main officials attention for about 10 seconds prior to the point being awarded. Kish wanted clarification on when it occurred so he could throw the brick for review and all the outside officials kept saying was he saw hands to the face and wouldn’t tell Kish the sequence when he saw it. So Kish asked him again and that’s when he was hit with the unsportsmanlike. So if a coach fighting for his wrestler is what you consider to be stupid then I think your a complete idiot.

This is a sign of frustration on the coach's part. He knows or should know that yelling at the ref is not going to get him what he wants. The ref is not going to be intimidated by the coach. The coach should have approached the table if he wanted clarification on a call. once he gets clarification if he does not agree he can throw the brick and have them take a look. That is how you fight for your wrestler, yelling at the ref is not the answer. Maybe he needs to see a good therapist or attend some anger management classes.

Gladiator Dad
03-23-2019, 03:33 PM
This is a sign of frustration on the coach's part. He knows or should know that yelling at the ref is not going to get him what he wants. The ref is not going to be intimidated by the coach. The coach should have approached the table if he wanted clarification on a call. once he gets clarification if he does not agree he can throw the brick and have them take a look. That is how you fight for your wrestler, yelling at the ref is not the answer. Maybe he needs to see a good therapist or attend some anger management classes.

That’s just it he wasn’t yelling at him he was asking for when the violation occurred to throw the brick and they wouldn’t give it to him. If he approached the table he would’ve still been hit for questioning a judgment call due to the fact it was now outside the 7 seconds a coach has to throw the brick Kind of a no win situation in this case. Supposedly the hands to the face had occurred earlier in the match but the outside official couldn’t get the main officials attention to award the point.

harleycowboy
03-23-2019, 06:21 PM
My concern with Coach Kish is he has not recruited as a head coach and developed 1 all American. Coach Maughn had Sprenkle, Monk, Zillmer and the 74 pounder from Minnesota who placed 7th or 8th his senior year during Bucky's last years as the Head Coach. I don't know if we can get a better head coach but I think Coach Kish has demonstrated he is an average non-inspiring Head Coach.

Bisonwinagn
03-23-2019, 07:57 PM
Why can't we hire an OKState assistant or another top Big12 assitant??

Christopher Moen
03-23-2019, 08:14 PM
My concern with Coach Kish is he has not recruited as a head coach and developed 1 all American. Coach Maughn had Sprenkle, Monk, Zillmer and the 74 pounder from Minnesota who placed 7th or 8th his senior year during Bucky's last years as the Head Coach. I don't know if we can get a better head coach but I think Coach Kish has demonstrated he is an average non-inspiring Head Coach.

Julson is the other All-American.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loose Lips
03-23-2019, 11:21 PM
That’s just it he wasn’t yelling at him he was asking for when the violation occurred to throw the brick and they wouldn’t give it to him. If he approached the table he would’ve still been hit for questioning a judgment call due to the fact it was now outside the 7 seconds a coach has to throw the brick Kind of a no win situation in this case. Supposedly the hands to the face had occurred earlier in the match but the outside official couldn’t get the main officials attention to award the point.

I think the 7 seconds would start when the call is made. I do not think he would get hit for questioning the call if he started his statement with, "Sir, I am not questioning your call but what was the call and when did it happen" He could then throw the brick or tell the ref I am challenging the call. If you watch kish, he can be quite entertaining. This coach appears to be a much more reactive coach than a proactive coach. I believe he has a couple good assistants but he is the voice of the program.

Christopher Moen
03-24-2019, 12:22 AM
Did the team penalty point against the coach(es) come during the match or after? I'm not sure which coach was nailed for the point if it was during the match as I don't remember the corner being approached, but after the match, Kish spent a lot of time talking with both officials. After what seemed like more than two minutes, and delaying the next match, I believe the head official came over and took over the conversation with Kish off the mat.

Big Bird
03-24-2019, 02:15 AM
UNI gets a national champion with Drew Foster. One of the more improbable champs of the last decade. If he/they can do it, we can do it

Christopher Moen
03-24-2019, 03:59 AM
UNI gets a national champion with Drew Foster. One of the more improbable champs of the last decade. If he/they can do it, we can do it

Dude never even won a State Championship. Not sure how much that happens at the NCAA DI level, especially now with this level be loaded with kids that are vying for World Medals at the International Level.

People who have done it that I could find are: Stan Able, Ben Peterson, Stan Dziedzic, John Fritz, Chuck Yagla, Nick Gallo, Joe Gonzales, Noel Loban, Dan St. John, Marty Morgan, Sylvester Terkay, Pat Santoro, Brian Dolph, Mitch Clark, Stephen Neal, Tim Hartung, Brock Lesnar, David Bolyard, Eric Voelker, Derek Moore, Josh Koscheck, Phil Davis, Mike Evans, Steve Bosak, Ed Ruth and Keith Gavin.