PDA

View Full Version : Walseth is Out!

fbmind
03-11-2019, 05:03 PM
NDSU and Maren Walseth have mutually agreed to part ways according to Izzo and McFeely.

Mr Meaty
03-11-2019, 05:06 PM
NDSU and Maren Walseth have mutually agreed to part ways according to Izzo and McFeely.
:judges::judges::judges:

Loud and Proud Bison fan
03-11-2019, 05:19 PM
Here is the gobison.com article.

https://gobison.com/news/2019/3/11/womens-basketball-maren-walseth-north-dakota-state-mutually-agree-to-part-ways.aspx

THEsocalledfan
03-11-2019, 05:22 PM
So does "mutual decision" mean someone wrote a check, or she wanted out now so bad she waived it? (Like for another job, etc)

roadwarrior
03-11-2019, 05:24 PM
I'm guessing there was some form of buyout negotiated.

imabison
03-11-2019, 05:29 PM
So does "mutual decision" mean someone wrote a check, or she wanted out now so bad she waived it? (Like for another job, etc)

What does that matter? She is gone, thats the only thing that should matter...

HuskerBizon
03-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Thank You ML for stepping up and getting it done

GOB1SON
03-11-2019, 05:33 PM
It's OK to be glad about a new direction, but some of you could show a little decorum and not celebrate quite so much.

I've never been fired from a job, but I'm guessing it sucks.

Mr Pep Band
03-11-2019, 05:39 PM
It's OK to be glad about a new direction, but some of you could show a little decorum and not celebrate quite so much.

I've never been fired from a job, but I'm guessing it sucks.

Getting laid off is worse. Fired IMO would mean the employee did something unacceptable which was the cause of termination. Laid off could be for any BS reason.

If NDSU makes a good hire, it think the Women BB will slowly make the climb back to the top of the Summit. But it will take a while. :cheers:

If the hire is mediocre or bad, more of what we've seen for the last decade. :bleh:

THEsocalledfan
03-11-2019, 05:45 PM

I think someone writing a check is a good sign that people still care......but that is just me.

MrSnuffleupagus
03-11-2019, 05:46 PM

I think wondering if a large chunk of the department's funds are going towards buying someone out is something a fan could definitely have a concern with.

Mr Meaty
03-11-2019, 05:51 PM
I think wondering if a large chunk of the department's funds are going towards buying someone out is something a fan could definitely have a concern with.

I would rather do that than waste another year paying the person for no results.

Elephants Dream?
03-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Very few people in the seats means little revenue.
Hopefully more people will come to watch a better product which will have some increase in $'s.

IBleedYellow
03-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Wish Walseth luck.

Didn't work out well here, that sucks. She's still a person, no ill wishes against her.

Hopefully this works for the betterment of both parties.

Go Bison.

devin45k
03-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Wish Walseth luck.

Didn't work out well here, that sucks. She's still a person, no ill wishes against her.

Hopefully this works for the betterment of both parties.

Go Bison.

Same here....it's just not the right fit in the end. I hope our program and she can flourish with this split.

MrSnuffleupagus
03-11-2019, 06:24 PM
I would rather do that than waste another year paying the person for no results.

I agree 100%. I do know follow NDSU womens basketball at all, and was shocked to hear they went 7-22 this year.

I'm just commenting that its not a crazy question to ask; as thats their funding.

El_Chapo
03-11-2019, 06:59 PM
GET THE HOPKINS MINNESOTA COACH BRIAN COSGRIFF

NEED SOMEONE WITH TWIN CITIES ROOTS AND AAU CONNECTIONS THAT ARE LEGIT.

Brian Cosgriff 29-0 this year and 575 - 75 .

https://hopkinsrp.org/3908/sports/cosgriff-inducted-into-hall-of-fame/

bajadanny
03-11-2019, 07:05 PM
This program is shattered, next to not breathing.

Will take time and considerable work.

Need to win the regional recruiting battle, losing to everyone

Go Bizun

SUBISON247
03-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Getting laid off is worse. Fired IMO would mean the employee did something unacceptable which was the cause of termination. Laid off could be for any BS reason.

If NDSU makes a good hire, it think the Women BB will slowly make the climb back to the top of the Summit. But it will take a while. :cheers:

If the hire is mediocre or bad, more of what we've seen for the last decade. :bleh:

We have never been to the top of the Summit

imabison
03-11-2019, 08:09 PM
This program is shattered, next to not breathing.

Will take time and considerable work.

Need to win the regional recruiting battle, losing to everyone

Go Bizun

So give the next coach a 10 yr contract...(viking purple) ...

Bisonator98
03-11-2019, 08:30 PM
The right coach can turn a program around pretty quickly. I thank Matt for making a change and I hope we have learned a lesson regarding these contracts. Hopefully the new coach does not get a 6 year deal. We should see results within 2-3 years.

56BISON73
03-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Really?
How much money was lost in ticket revenue? How much prestige was lost due to her poor job performance?

If she didn't see this coming would show a total lack of self awareness.

Vet70
03-12-2019, 02:29 AM
Well, according to Walseth:

"Although I am disappointed with our lack of on-court success, the Bison women's basketball has grown and thrived in ways the general public does not always witness. "
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4583081-scoreboard-matters-ad-says-walseth-out-bison-womens-basketball-coach

StL Bison Fan
03-12-2019, 02:35 AM

"Although I am disappointed with our lack of on-court success, the Bison women's basketball has grown and thrived in ways the general public does not always witness. "
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4583081-scoreboard-matters-ad-says-walseth-out-bison-womens-basketball-coach

They did have good grades

bisoneer
03-12-2019, 02:47 AM
A 3.0 GPA employee will produce more work, be more loyal, be more dependable and have more passion about their job than a 4.0, 9 times out of 10.

HerdBot
03-12-2019, 04:39 AM
A 3.0 GPA employee will produce more work, be more loyal, be more dependable and have more passion about their job than a 4.0, 9 times out of 10.

Not sure I follow your logic but there are only so many hours in a day. Some young people can manage time well and others cant. Although i think our football team just had their all time highest GPA

bisonfanette
03-12-2019, 08:53 AM

I have not seen this to be true.

Mr Meaty
03-12-2019, 11:41 AM

If they are winning 4.0 student athletes will be loyal and happy. Losing and they decide education is better and just do that.

ByeSonBusiness
03-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Does this mean Sarah Jacobsen is gonna come back?

bisonp
03-12-2019, 12:00 PM
I have not seen this to be true.

Right. You typically don't get to be a 4.0 student without a good work ethic. Pretty ridiculous to insist otherwise.

tony
03-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Too bad, really wish this would have worked out, but obviously it was not working. NDSU would have finished in the bottom half of the NSIC.

imabison
03-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Good question, but the real question would the new coach welcome her back?
No real reason for the dismissal was given but either party.

tjbison
03-12-2019, 01:46 PM
someone is going to inherit a complete dumpster fire, hopefully someone with some ambition that has talent sees this as an opportunity to prove themselves.

MrSnuffleupagus
03-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Really?
How much money was lost in ticket revenue? How much prestige was lost due to her poor job performance?

If she didn't see this coming would show a total lack of self awareness.

Calm down.

I am NOT saying they shouldn't have let her go. With what the program is at and their record she should have been let go long ago. As I said earlier; I was simply commenting on imabison's remark about "what does it matter." It does matter.

HerdBot
03-12-2019, 02:19 PM
So much potential here for ticket revenue. Back in the hey days, we would average between 2 and 3 k per game. Now were lucky to get 500. The Summit is set up perfectly for good attendance with rivals like UND, USD, and SDSU all a short drive. If we can put a good product on the floor, some good revenue potential. Would help to play some double headers

Mr Meaty
03-12-2019, 03:12 PM
So much potential here for ticket revenue. Back in the hey days, we would average between 2 and 3 k per game. Now were lucky to get 500. The Summit is set up perfectly for good attendance with rivals like UND, USD, and SDSU all a short drive. If we can put a good product on the floor, some good revenue potential. Would help to play some double headers

They did this year but would kick you out after the women's game. I skipped the women's game despite the doubleheader. Maybe if the product get better then I am all in for twin bill.

imabison
03-12-2019, 03:37 PM
They did this year but would kick you out after the women's game. I skipped the women's game despite the doubleheader. Maybe if the product get better then I am all in for twin bill.

Kicked out, poor term, you are asked to go to the north or south lobby for about 30 minutes. Not outside, they learned after the first year. Just a roped off area and reopened 1 hours prior to mens game.

Mr Meaty
03-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Kicked out, poor term, you are asked to go to the north or south lobby for about 30 minutes. Not outside, they learned after the first year. Just a roped off area and reopened 1 hours prior to mens game.

Maybe a little harsh, yes you got to stay in the building.

I was done early with my things I needed to do while in town and I went to the SHAC early. The womens game had like 3 minutes left to play and it was close. I thought well I will go in and catch the end of the game. Yes I did not have a ticket for the womens game. I asked the ticket boy if I could go in and caught the last 3 minutes of the game. He said no since I did not have a ticket. He was correct, but since there was only 3 minutes left and only 300 people in there I did not see the big deal. So I turned around and went out to the pickup and listened to Bison 1660 for the final minutes of the game.

imabison
03-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Maybe a little harsh, yes you got to stay in the building.

I was done early with my things I needed to do while in town and I went to the SHAC early. The womens game had like 3 minutes left to play and it was close. I thought well I will go in and catch the end of the game. Yes I did not have a ticket for the womens game. I asked the ticket boy if I could go in and caught the last 3 minutes of the game. He said no since I did not have a ticket. He was correct, but since there was only 3 minutes left and only 300 people in there I did not see the big deal. So I turned around and went out to the pickup and listened to Bison 1660 for the final minutes of the game.

Agree thats a bit harsh, but the ticket guy would not have been there if it not been a doubleheader. I can see your point, but if he took you ticket you could not have gotten back in for the mens game. Caught between a rock and a hard place you were...

bri-dog
03-12-2019, 09:17 PM

Their English got better? :hide:

twinsguy03
03-14-2019, 01:15 AM

I would bet she'll be a Dragon next year

StL Bison Fan
11-09-2019, 12:01 AM
Walseth with new gig on espn+

Really excited to be back as the play-by-play announcer for La Salle @GoExplorers Women’s Basketball again this season! Plus this year I’ve got a partner, Coach @MarenWalseth!
Thrilled to grow with this exciting young team starting tomorrow, only on ESPN+.

https://twitter.com/marenwalseth/status/1192964161145315328?s=21