PDA

View Full Version : How About that Matt Larsen Guy!!

Elvis was a Bison
03-07-2019, 05:08 PM
Tony, don't know exactly where this belongs, but I'll put it here because it will get the most exposure. Move it as you see fit.

https://740thefan.com/news/articles/2019/mar/06/ndsus-matt-larsen-named-athletics-director-of-the-year/#

HerdBot
03-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Matt does a great job of providing our athletic department with the resources needed. I like 90% of all his decisions. He was behind some big things like the Target Field game too. If he can get the Indoor Practice Facility built quickly, I will be insanely impressed.

IBleedYellow
03-07-2019, 06:23 PM
He has lots of critics and blame for the ire of the basketball programs.

Christopher Moen
03-07-2019, 06:31 PM

For some reason, the people complaining think he hired the coaches currently in charge of the programs.

DIBISON
03-07-2019, 06:58 PM

No he doesn't, a few people just think that!

westnodak93bison
03-07-2019, 07:14 PM
For some reason, the people complaining think he hired the coaches currently in charge of the programs.Really? You think we dont know who hired the two bb coaches? Bottom line is they are not cutting it. Period. It's his job to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
03-07-2019, 07:14 PM
For some reason, the people complaining think he hired the coaches currently in charge of the programs.

Which is funny, because he didn't hire either Richman or Walseth.

HerdThat!
03-07-2019, 07:35 PM

He also didn't fire them either.....
If I recall people had pitchforks and torches from disappointment upon completion of the SHAC

Christopher Moen
03-07-2019, 07:47 PM
He also didn't fire them either.....
If I recall people had pitchforks and torches from disappointment upon completion of the SHAC

With what money is he going to fire them with? Their contracts are guaranteed, which means if he fires them, he still has to pay them, plus pay their replacements. This is why schools like NDSU can't fire coaches at will (or anybody for that matter).

imabison
03-07-2019, 07:52 PM
With what money is he going to fire them with? Their contracts are guaranteed, which means if he fires them, he still has to pay them, plus pay their replacements. This is why schools like NDSU can't fire coaches at will (or anybody for that matter).

College rules by the state are no 2 people can be in the same position at the same time. I heard that from an NDSU employee. Not referring to any specific position.

Christopher Moen
03-07-2019, 07:54 PM
College rules by the state are no 2 people can be in the same position at the same time. I heard that from an NDSU employee. Not referring to any specific position.

If you're fired, you're not in that position anymore. However, if your contract is guaranteed, you're still getting paid.

THEsocalledfan
03-07-2019, 08:25 PM

There are buyout clauses. No on would be in the same position; just no one wants to pay the buyout.

phxbison
03-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Congratulations Matt ! Keep up the good work.

AKBison
03-07-2019, 10:12 PM
So far Matt's legacy is keeping the train on the tracks here at NDSU. That is no small feat but facility wise, we haven't really done anything since he came on board other than finish GT's projects. The softball stadium was on the books already but he did the final fundraising to get it done. Now, if he can get the IPF quickly funded and built he will jump up a rung in my book. I know I'm being overly critical and we are damn lucky to have him but consider this. During his tenure, both the men's and women's basketball programs have tanked and the SHAC reno turned into a debacle (not really his fault). He will have an opportunity to rectify two of this situations. Within the next two years he will have likely hired a new football, M basketball and W basketball coach so he definitely has an opportunity to make his mark here.

scbison91
03-07-2019, 10:20 PM
So far Matt's legacy is keeping the train on the tracks here at NDSU. That is no small feat but facility wise, we haven't really done anything since he came on board other than finish GT's projects. The softball stadium was on the books already but he did the final fundraising to get it done. Now, if he can get the IPF quickly funded and built he will jump up a rung in my book. I know I'm being overly critical and we are damn lucky to have him but consider this. During his tenure, both the men's and women's basketball programs have tanked and the SHAC reno turned into a debacle (not really his fault). He will have an opportunity to rectify two of this situations. Within the next two years he will have likely hired a new football, M basketball and W basketball coach so he definitely has an opportunity to make his mark here. You forgot he lined up Cost of attendance.

PattyBison
03-07-2019, 10:42 PM
You forgot he lined up Cost of attendance.

And fully funding all scholarships in all sports.

AKBison
03-07-2019, 10:59 PM

So did UND, so did USD, and soon SDSU. It's definetely an accomplishment but was more about the cost of doing business if we wanted to stay competitive.

AKBison
03-07-2019, 11:01 PM

Fair point...

Vet70
03-07-2019, 11:08 PM
So did UND, so did USD, and soon SDSU. It's definetely an accomplishment but was more about the cost of doing business if we wanted to stay competitive.

It strikes me more like the other schools following NDSU in an attempt to stay competitive.

NDSU1980
03-08-2019, 12:46 AM
It strikes me more like the other schools following NDSU in an attempt to stay competitive.

^^^This. No way would the other schools, especially copy cat UN_ have given out cost of attendance if Matt Larsen hadn't come out with it first.

THEsocalledfan
03-08-2019, 12:01 PM
15>1, please clean out your PM.

Bison"FANatic"
03-08-2019, 12:14 PM
^^^This. No way would the other schools, especially copy cat UN_ have given out cost of attendance if Matt Larsen hadn't come out with it first.

Absolutely!!! They were all drug kicking and screaming and not happy NDSU forced their hands. Matt has done a very good job with the hands he was dealt. Nice to see him recognized.

Bison Dan
03-08-2019, 12:31 PM
Absolutely!!! They were all drug kicking and screaming and not happy NDSU forced their hands. Matt has done a very good job with the hands he was dealt. Nice to see him recognized.

und is not fully funded yet. They have many sports that don't offer the full amount of scholarships they could. Sounds (Alumni talk) like Matt has most of the monies for the new FB practice facility. We should break ground like they wanted sometime this late summer.

devin45k
03-08-2019, 01:10 PM

People aren't complaining about the hiring, they are complaining about the lack of firing.

El_Chapo
03-08-2019, 01:19 PM
People aren't complaining about the hiring, they are complaining about the lack of firing.

exactly.

Matt Larsen is the typical east coaster. get fortunate to get into a no lose situation.
Football program at NDSU will never die at the FCS level, in fact, Matt Larsen should take heat for not pushing for NDSU to FBS with other conferences. Matt HASNT EVEN PICKED UP A PHONE OR EMAILED THE MOUNTAIN WEST/BIG 12!

the COA was talked about with Gene Taylor long time ago, Gene owns this entire sports department still, Matt just sits in his chair. Larsen was probably nominated for this award by his kiss butt employees. 28 AD's won this "AWARD" haha cmon!

the fact Larsen has allowed BOTH basketball programs to die and won't move the football team up to their proper level of competition DOES NOT make him Ad of the year by some obscure website

Professor Chaos
03-08-2019, 02:07 PM
His handling of an in-playoff coaching transition was pretty much flawless. Of course a lot of that had to do with the respectfulness of the outgoing coach and the other hiring AD but football is what stirs the drink in the NDSU athletic department and he nailed his first major test, from a football perspective, as the AD.

Christopher Moen
03-08-2019, 06:58 PM

And again, NDSU doesn't have the funds to fire coaches.

HerdThat!
03-08-2019, 08:18 PM

What are the actual numbers encompassing the situation?

Vet70
03-08-2019, 09:20 PM

At least $340,000. I believe it is at least 190K for DR and 150K for MW. It is not going to happen.

Christopher Moen
03-08-2019, 09:25 PM

I don't know the actual amount that NDSU pays their coaches, but if they fire someone, I believe they still have to pay them as to what was agreed upon in contracts. This 2015 article kind of covers the cost problem of firing college coaches: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-college-sports-expenses-paying-coaches-severance-20151212-story.html

Lets say if NDSU is paying half a million a year towards coaching (includes assistants) for their Men's and Women's Basketball programs each, can they afford to pay upwards to that extra million dollars per year? Think how much money is lost if there are two to four years left on those contracts. I'm guessing no, and this is probably why programs like NDSU rarely fire coaches until their contracts expire. It is probably also wise if they don't have lengthly contracts, unless the coach has proven themselves to be successful.

CalBison97
03-08-2019, 11:07 PM

Do we know yet who gave Richman that alleged extra year (2019-2020) or the real story behind it?

NDSUstudent
03-08-2019, 11:18 PM
I think Walseth is going to get canned, ML wasn't going to cut her a 300k+ check but he can probably cobble together $150k.

Christopher Moen
03-09-2019, 12:06 AM
Do we know yet who gave Richman that alleged extra year (2019-2020) or the real story behind it?

Personally, I don't know, nor did I know he had an extra year. When it comes to basketball, I usually don't follow until the post season for both college and the pros. With that said, the last time I watched a NDSU Men's Basketball game, I thought I was watching a Globetrotters routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLBjhvwf5d0&t=53s

bisonaudit
03-09-2019, 05:24 AM
At least $340,000. I believe it is at least 190K for DR and 150K for MW. It is not going to happen.

The only way it happens is if a donor cares enough about basketball to write an extra check covering the buyouts.

roadwarrior
03-09-2019, 05:54 AM
The only way it happens is if a donor cares enough about basketball to write an extra check covering the buyouts.

Someone coughed up enough money to fly the football team to DC.

bisonaudit
03-09-2019, 06:37 AM

Hummmm, the people with checkbooks care more about feteing the football team than making the basketball teams better.

Yep, that tracks.

Greta Van Herd
03-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Hummmm, the people with checkbooks care more about feteing the football team than making the basketball teams better.

Yep, that tracks.

Don’t you have a checkbook?

Vet70
03-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Even if they have/find the money and someone goes I would bet it is MW and DR stays.

Vet70
03-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Don’t you have a checkbook?

He gave it all to football.

westnodak93bison
03-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Even if they have/find the money and someone goes I would bet it is MW and DR stays.Yeah, tough call there. Fire the bottom feeder coach and keep the middle of the roader

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OrygunBison
03-09-2019, 06:24 PM

Yep, that tracks.

If I had that kinda cash to donate, I too would give it specifically to football, even if it was somewhat frivolous. Until basketball gets its house together, I wouldn't throw money at the situation. It is an institutional issue, not just a matter of coaching. I would first need to see that they have a real plan for the program. That has pretty much never been the case though.

bisonfanette
03-09-2019, 08:20 PM

THAT would be a whole lot easier for a private donor (& so much more enjoyable) than cutting a large check to cover a buyout.

Bisonator98
03-09-2019, 08:34 PM
NDSU better have the money, it's a cost of doing business. If you don't expect to fire a coach once in awhile you shouldn't have sports. If a D1 institute can't afford a $150K buyout then they have bigger issues to deal with IMO.

TAILG8R
03-10-2019, 12:33 AM
NDSU better have the money, it's a cost of doing business. If you don't expect to fire a coach once in awhile you shouldn't have sports. If a D1 institute can't afford a $150K buyout then they have bigger issues to deal with IMO.I have to agree with this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BisonNeil
03-10-2019, 01:51 AM
Larsen’s a putz. The SDSU semifinal game was a half century to the day since NDSU won their second natty by beating Arkansas St in the Pecan Bowl. I thought NDSU should do something at the game to commemorate this historic event so I reached out to him. He told me no, that’s not what “we” do. He said that team is in the hall of fame and we don’t need to do anything more.

I replied that doing something to acknowledge that game and natty would tell all future recruits that if you do something special we will continue to celebrate it 50 years later. He said this subject is a non-starter.

Larsen is a fucking idiot, end of story. The sooner he is gone the sooner we will have an AD who can rub two brain cells together.

Elvis was a Bison
03-10-2019, 03:37 AM
Larsen is a fucking idiot, end of story. The sooner he is gone the sooner we will have an AD who can rub two brain cells together.

Don't be so shy Tell us how you REALLY feel!!:ranting::ranting::ranting:

El_Chapo
03-10-2019, 04:32 AM
#1 this award has 28 winners?

#2 1 of his suck up employees nominated him for it *cough cough todd phelps, troy goergen*

#3 He hasn't done anything except hold the steering wheel while program is on auto pilot, in fact the basketball programs dying are at his feet and doing NOTHING about FBS aspirations doesn't help either.

what a joke.

Vet70
03-10-2019, 05:05 AM
Larsen’s a putz. The SDSU semifinal game was a half century to the day since NDSU won their second natty by beating Arkansas St in the Pecan Bowl. I thought NDSU should do something at the game to commemorate this historic event so I reached out to him. He told me no, that’s not what “we” do. He said that team is in the hall of fame and we don’t need to do anything more.

I replied that doing something to acknowledge that game and natty would tell all future recruits that if you do something special we will continue to celebrate it 50 years later. He said this subject is a non-starter.

Maybe our next AD will do everything you suggest to him.

Christopher Moen
03-10-2019, 06:49 AM

Some issues that I have with your "problem" towards Matt Larsen:

1) The NCAA "owns" the rights to the FCS Playoffs. I'm not sure how much freedom host schools (remember, the playing field is suppose to be neutral) have over what they can do.
2) If the 50th anniversary of the second College Football Championship was so important, and it is, what happened to the importance of the first?
3) Anniversaries of these magnitudes are big and time consuming. Last year, we celebrated the 20th anniversary of our 1998 National Championship. That took a lot of preparation and I believe at least four months to plan (kudos to Nick Magee for getting it done). I don't know when you contacted Matt Larsen about the idea, but I highly doubt NDSU could coordinate getting everything done in a short amount of time, especially considering how much else they have going on.

I think the idea was good, but something that probably should have been planned during the regular season, like Homecoming Weekend.

No need to degrade Matt Larsen over this. Dude has a lot on his plate, and as the award signifies, he's doing a great job.

unbison
03-10-2019, 12:18 PM

I think you need a mirror to find the idiot in this scenario

HerdBot
03-10-2019, 01:51 PM

It was the cost of doing business but it forced the hand of other schools. It put UND so over budget who thought they could do it to, without a revenue source, so they ended up cutting sports.

But yes, getting fundraising for the IPF would be a big win as that is his true project

56BISON73
03-10-2019, 04:30 PM

So hes an idiot because he didnt give you the answer you wanted to hear? :facepalm:

El_Chapo
03-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Some issues that I have with your "problem" towards Matt Larsen:

1) The NCAA "owns" the rights to the FCS Playoffs. I'm not sure how much freedom host schools (remember, the playing field is suppose to be neutral) have over what they can do.
2) If the 50th anniversary of the second College Football Championship was so important, and it is, what happened to the importance of the first?
3) Anniversaries of these magnitudes are big and time consuming. Last year, we celebrated the 20th anniversary of our 1998 National Championship. That took a lot of preparation and I believe at least four months to plan (kudos to Nick Magee for getting it done). I don't know when you contacted Matt Larsen about the idea, but I highly doubt NDSU could coordinate getting everything done in a short amount of time, especially considering how much else they have going on.

I think the idea was good, but something that probably should have been planned during the regular season, like Homecoming Weekend.

No need to degrade Matt Larsen over this. Dude has a lot on his plate, and as the award signifies, he's doing a great job.

THE AWARD WAS FOR the TOP 28 AD"S via Under Armour and were NOMINATED... (probably by Todd Phelps or Troy Georgen) i take 0 stock in that award.

bosco
03-11-2019, 03:24 AM
So hes an idiot because he didnt give you the answer you wanted to hear? :facepalm:

I was going to say the same thing. Millennials! Growing up is hard to do.

CAS4127
03-11-2019, 03:48 AM
I was going to say the same thing. Millennials! Growing up is hard to do.

BNeil is far from a Millennial, and I’m kinda with him on his position. Our AD and assistant AD are close to if not millinials, and we are seeing a bit of their immaturity imo, as far as NDSU BB things go, on both sides and the Sarah Jacobsen goes. The successful programs are beasically running themselves, and thanks to athletic department for staying the fuck out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

td577
03-11-2019, 10:47 AM
A couple of thoughts. A lot of complaints about what ML has not done rather than reading the article and seeing what has been accomplished. Who cares if his predecessor got the ball rolling on some of the projects, they were completed during Larson's time.

Then there is a complaint ML didn't do what someone asked. He wasn't asked permission to set aside some time. He was presented a problem and and asked to fix it. I think this might have gone a lot better if the question were to have gone something like this: ML, if we do all the work getting the 2nd NC team together, can we have some time during the game to celebrate their 50th anniversary.

Asking someone to do a bunch of work that should be done by the requestor has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with managing time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

EC8CH
03-11-2019, 12:55 PM
The labeling of generations and ascribing personality traits to them as a whole makes about as much sense as those Chinese restaurant place mats that tell me I should marry a boar but never a horse based on the year I was born.

Vet70
03-11-2019, 01:27 PM
The labeling of generations and ascribing personality traits to them as a whole makes about as much sense as those Chinese restaurant place mats that tell me I should marry a boar but never a horse based on the year I was born.

That kind of thinking is typical of your generation. Next thing you know you will be telling us you don't believe in ouija boards, bad juju or TAB's Magic 8 Ball.

EC8CH
03-11-2019, 01:56 PM
That kind of thinking is typical of your generation. Next thing you know you will be telling us you don't believe in ouija boards, bad juju or TAB's Magic 8 Ball.

Ask me again later.

Vet70
03-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Ask me again later.

I see what you did there. :rofl:

1979 Bison
03-11-2019, 04:49 PM

BisonNeil has an extreme passion for the Bison Football Program and its long history, and his post obviously reflects his frustration with the current athletic administration. I can give him a pass on that even though I would not go to the same conclusion he has! But to go to his suggestion, to periodically honor past Bison Teams or players is spot on and should be given some time and consideration by the AD. For those of us that are 60+ years old and have witnessed the beginnings of the Bison Dynasty in the 1960s, 70s and 80s and even before those years, we believe that the foundations of what we now know as Bison Football was formed by those teams and players. The culture of the program, the fan following and financial support, the national recognition, etc. was formed largely during that time period and set the foundation for today’s teams to have continued national success.

Ever look around the Fargo dome during a game? There are a lot of fans that have been supporting Bison Football for a long time....lots of grey hair and wrinkled faces who have been going to games for a long time AND contributing a lot of money over the years. I would like to see the program and administration periodically honor past teams and players on field and show some film/video on the big board (more than just in a one-time selection to the Bison Hall of Fame) to recall how our program got to where it is now. It’s a valid suggestion...

thebootfitter
03-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Pure speculation, but I would guess that if we asked Matt Larsen his version of this interaction it would be a bit different than what is painted here and probably make a lot of sense. But I could be off base.

56BISON73
03-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Pure speculation, but I would guess that if we asked Matt Larsen his version of this interaction it would be a bit different than what is painted here and probably make a lot of sense. But I could be off base.

Plus it was not that long ago I believe that team was honored at homecoming . I met a bunch of them at a players function.