PDA

View Full Version : What game/season hooked you on Bison football?

met1990
02-26-2019, 04:31 AM
I'm deleting my profile from this site 061920

WeAreThePride
02-26-2019, 04:55 AM
I was at the first Georgia Southern semifinal. That hooked me.

1998braves64
02-26-2019, 11:31 AM
I'd say I got indoctrinated by older siblings, but I don't remember the run in the 80s, vaguely remember '91. Distinctively remember Beachy blowing out his knee (via radio) I didn't go to an actual game until fall '98. Sort of lost sight like many did for several years. Went to maybe a game a year starting with Valparaiso game until after I got married in 05, wife (Canadian no less!) really liked it and went to a couple a year, really got hooked in 07ish, got season tickets the next year and usually make it to the majority of games since. SHSU game may have been the linch pin, but Minnesota 07 really drove home to get (back??) on the bandwagon. Haven't got off since. Sat thru most of the disaster of '09 including Wyoming.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

scottietohottie
02-26-2019, 11:53 AM
The first night game at the fargodome. Pitt state. I was aware of the Bison before this, this just hooked me. I swear I got a green horn at that game. Don't have it anymore and haven't seen them since. Think the mvfc bans noise makers. Pretty sure I snagged a Garth Brooks in pieces cassette tape that weekend as well. The wife got hooked at the first meeting of NDSU vs Sam Houston. We stayed until the finish.

ndsubison1
02-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Probably not until we shocked Montana back in early 2000s.

Burrows
02-26-2019, 12:29 PM
2011 gopher game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ndsu84
02-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Sometime in the mid-70’s got started, BisonSioux game around 1980.

HerdBot
02-26-2019, 12:43 PM
Became a fan as a kid. The Montana game got me re engaged. The 2006 Gophers game is what got me pumped up.

TransAmBison
02-26-2019, 12:53 PM
Somewhere it the early to mid-80s. As a young kid I liked football and would watch if it was one. The Bison-Sioux game would be one of the only televised games and I would watch. It seemed everybody in town/school watched that game. I had to pick a team. I picked the Bison and watched that game every year. By the mid-80s I was listening to the rest of the games on the radio and watched if another game got on tv (playoffs sometimes). By '90 it was all I could think about.

DM05
02-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Mud game in the playoffs at Pitt State.....I want to say 1994?

westnodak93bison
02-26-2019, 01:02 PM
The Troy game

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CalBison97
02-26-2019, 01:18 PM
Started in 1983 as a 10-year-old while listening to the natty ice fishing on Devils Lake. My aunt worked in the NDSU athletic dept. I am eternally grateful for her guidance in choosing the gold standard! First game attendance must have been ‘84 and went to several including Dacotah playoff games and UND from 87-97.

THEsocalledfan
02-26-2019, 01:19 PM
I'm a bit like TAB, got hooked in the 80's which was an easy time for that to happen. Since I lived in the way North with WDAZ, I remember having to stay up until 11 PM on Sundays to watch the Rocky Hager show which was my only way to see extended highlights of the games.

However, I drifted away a bit, after college as it was just D2 football; hard to be the serious about when living in the big city (MSP) at the time. (BTW, I still was at a game just about every year.....) But, like Gabe, that '06 Gopher game "sealed the deal" as I fully grasped for the first time what was actually possible. Have been a complete nut case ever since.

Bisonator98
02-26-2019, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't say any one game hooked me. Went to a lot of the games during the mid to late 80's as a kid. I can remember listening to Bison games on the radio before that even. As a kid growing up in Fargo it was the Bison or bust.

tony
02-26-2019, 01:44 PM
Some home game in 1983. I don't even know who we were playing... but the stands were booming.

MankatoBison
02-26-2019, 01:51 PM
Minnesota 2006. I went from moderately interested to fanatical over the course of 3hrs. Life altering day for me lol

BisManBison
02-26-2019, 02:17 PM
Northern Michigan, September 10, 1988. My very first Bison game in person. I just remember being awe of the game setting at Dakota Field. Of course with a listed game attendance of 18,200 who wouldn't be in awe lol.

southcliffbison
02-26-2019, 02:23 PM
I'm a junior in high school in the fall of 1968; my brother is a freshman at NDSU. I went to Fargo to visit him one weekend in September. The Bison were playing at Dakotah Field that Saturday afternoon (don't remember who the opponent was). I've been following Bison fortunes ever since.

MNLonghorn10
02-26-2019, 02:28 PM
New Hampshire game 2013

17>1
02-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Went to several games in the 80's at Dakota Field. Spent most of the time running around playing football with other kids in the NW corner by the evergreen trees. Born and raised a Bison fan. While I really only have vague memories of being there since I was pretty young, I point to '93 when the Dome opened that I really took ownership of becoming a Bison fan.

IndyBison
02-26-2019, 03:14 PM
I remember seeing Bison championship games on TV in the 80s but wasn't really into it. My mother was going to UND for grad school at the time so we also went to a couple of their games and I watched UND hockey games on TV also. I have always just been a big sports fan. I went to the first game my freshman year with a high school friend and her roommate. I remember they were more interested in the cheerleaders than the game since they both cheered in HS. I told them to quit being so critical and try out themselves. They both did. My friend ended up cheering for wrestling that year and her roommate made the football squad the following fall! She ended up transferring to Florida State where she cheered for their football team! I like to think I had a hand in that.

I probably went to most of the games while a student including the first season in the Fargodome in 1992. I was involved with the Student Alumni Association (and later helped form Bison Ambassadors from that group) and we would often be hosts in the president's suite. That was especially nice on very cold games. When I moved to Indy I coordinated the satellite sites for Bison-Sioux games.

I guess you could say that first game my freshman year was the game, but there is no doubt I would be following my school's team regardless of which school I attended. It just happens to be a team that has had a ton of success!

phxbison
02-26-2019, 03:55 PM
1972 Bison vs. Youngstown State at Dakota Field. Last minute of the game, Youngstown State with Ron Jaworski at quarterback is inside the Bison 3 yd. line at the east end of Dakota field. Behind by less than a touchdown and with three tries to score, Steve Nelson from his middle linebacker position stuffed Jaworski three straight times seal victory for the Bison. I remember my heart was just racing. It was a hell of a game. Jaworski was the 37th player taken in the draft in 1973. Nelson was junior and was the 34th player taken in the 1974 draft by the New England Patriots.

DCBison
02-26-2019, 03:57 PM
My dad took me to one game a year in the late 70s when I was small. I enjoyed being at the games but think I was more caught up in the cheering and the mojo of the crowd instead of the actual football game. In 1983 we moved to Dickinson and I began to religiously listen to the games on radio and buying a Sunday Fargo Forum to read up on that weeks game. What a year to get hooked on Bison football - Jeff Bentrim's first year!

EC8CH
02-26-2019, 04:09 PM
1st Gopher game. That got me watching/listening to games whenever possible.

K-State game. That got me attending games whenever possible.

Coming to NDSU from MN in the late 90's there wasn't a lot of buzz to get me interested until the success in the D1 era started. I remember my dad mentioning once during my first tour that NDSU had a good football team, but until the success after the D1 transition there wasn't much happening to get a new student from outside the area like me hooked. My "good old days" stories are remembering listening to Scottie Miller call the Steve Walker comeback against Cal Poly.

NDSUstudent
02-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Not really a game or season for me, my dad is a huge Bison fan and I remember going to games as a kid and tailgating back before the tailgating is what is now. I was hooked from the start.

89MTBISON
02-26-2019, 04:27 PM
Not really a game or season for me, my dad is a huge Bison fan and I remember going to games as a kid and tailgating back before the tailgating is what is now. I was hooked from the start.

So, from birth? I'm impressed. Did you pee green then yellow?

GSUsTALON
02-26-2019, 04:51 PM
The 2nd GSU/NDSU game peeked my, interest but it was the 3rd GSU/NDSU game and NDSUs playoff records that made me respect and admire your program. (CONSISTANCY)

TALON

hockeyplayer
02-26-2019, 04:58 PM
.... the persistent, never-give-up, "destroy-the-would be tackler" running of fearless Tyler Roehl in his first 2 years (.. yes, he continued to run well in last 2 years...... but I was already hooked by then).

roadwarrior
02-26-2019, 05:07 PM
The fall of 1972. New south stands really changed the environment. Who needs tailgating when you had that student section?

GSUsTALON
02-26-2019, 05:37 PM
.... the persistent, never-give-up, "destroy-the-would be tackler" running of fearless Tyler Roehl in his first 2 years (.. yes, he continued to run well in last 2 years...... but I was already hooked by then).

And you've proved that over and over again! (CONSISTANCY)

Christopher Moen
02-26-2019, 05:48 PM
As the saying goes, "Once a Bison, Always a Bison," therefore, the day I was born.

In actuality, I became a fan of NDSU starting in the late 80s because how much of a legend Bucky Maughan was in my area. He was good friends with Skip Nalan (former coach of my high school and a legend himself, especially for the University of Michigan) and ended up coaching a few of Skip's best wrestlers at NDSU. A few of those guys would go on to coach high schools in the Northern Minnesota and had a lot of great stories to tell. Heck, my high school German teacher use to tell great Bucky stories when he attending Moorhead State at the same time.

BisonNeil
02-26-2019, 06:47 PM
I'm a junior in high school in the fall of 1968; my brother is a freshman at NDSU. I went to Fargo to visit him one weekend in September. The Bison were playing at Dakotah Field that Saturday afternoon (don't remember who the opponent was). I've been following Bison fortunes ever since.

Same year for me but it was later and I wasn’t at the game. When NDSU won their second natty in the Pecan Bowl against Arkansas State I read about it and decided I needed to see a game at NDSU next year. I was a senior in the fall of 1969 and went to the first home game with my older brother which the Bison blew out their opponent. It confirmed what I suspected, I was going to enjoy Bison football.

MankatoBison
02-26-2019, 07:09 PM
1st Gopher game. That got me watching/listening to games whenever possible.

K-State game. That got me attending games whenever possible.

Coming to NDSU from MN in the late 90's there wasn't a lot of buzz to get me interested until the success in the D1 era started. I remember my dad mentioning once during my first tour that NDSU had a good football team, but until the success after the D1 transition there wasn't much happening to get a new student from outside the area like me hooked. My "good old days" stories are remembering listening to Scottie Miller call the Steve Walker comeback against Cal Poly.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP I remember I was at our hunting cabin, huddled around the radio. Good times

EC8CH
02-26-2019, 07:13 PM
YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP I remember I was at our hunting cabin, huddled around the radio. Good times

A similar story for me about the K-State game. Was at the lake cabin and had satellite TV available but since FS1 was brand spanking new I couldn't get that channel. Had to have Scottie tell me that epic comeback story over the radio too. I was pissed at the time not being able to watch it live, but looking back now it makes the memory even fonder.

AKBison
02-26-2019, 07:18 PM
First D1 game against Valpo hooked me. Georgia Southern 2 Semi-final took it to a whole another level, it was easily the best gameday experience I have ever been apart of.

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Great thread

Started paying attention in 2007 when they beat my alma mater. Became a fan in 2011 when they beat my alma mater again. Became a fanatic after the KSU game.

Was first made aware that the program was special in the 80s. Dated a girl that went to NDSU. Went to her apartment once and she was hanging out with one of the players (a captain, I believe … it was many beers ago). I remember thinking 'might be a challenge to scare this guy off' but it wasn’t like that at all. He was a righteous dude and we talked college football.

Next girl I dated in the late 80s had a best friend whose boyfriend went to NDSU. The rest of the click (all gopher fans) called him 'Bissson'. I remember asking 'what’s up with that'? That’s when I learned how to say it correctly …

totoinfl
02-26-2019, 07:22 PM
Went to a Bison game with my brother who was a Junior at NDSU...fall of 1967...I think it was homecoming and maybe Morningside...I just remember the parade, the student section (yes it was crazy then)...didn't become an option to go anywhere else and my first home game as a student was Northern Arizona...last year of the Jim Wacker era...Sept 1978.

thebootfitter
02-26-2019, 07:25 PM
I'm a bit like TAB, got hooked in the 80's which was an easy time for that to happen. Since I lived in the way North with WDAZ, I remember having to stay up until 11 PM on Sundays to watch the Rocky Hager show which was my only way to see extended highlights of the games.

However, I drifted away a bit, after college as it was just D2 football; hard to be the serious about when living in the big city (MSP) at the time. (BTW, I still was at a game just about every year.....) But, like Gabe, that '06 Gopher game "sealed the deal" as I fully grasped for the first time what was actually possible. Have been a complete nut case ever since.
Similar story here too. I don't recall a specific game, just that I would listen to all the games on the radio that I could and watch the championship games on TV starting in the mid-eighties or so. I remember having some sort of football board game with dice to determine plays and yards, and I would ask my older brothers what would happen if the Bison played the Bears. (This was right after the '85 Bears' Superbowl.) My brothers, of course, said the Bison would be demolished, but I wasn't convinced. :-)

I went to most home games in school from '93 - '96. I moved away after college in 1997 and sort of fell out of touch. And it was the first Gophers game in 2006 that hooked me back on the program. I was watching that game at a bar in Atlanta with some uninterested friends, but they started cheering for those "little guys in green" and were disappointed when they couldn't pull out the win on the score board. What a game changer!

I probably went to most of the games while a student including the first season in the Fargodome in 1992. I was involved with the Student Alumni Association (and later helped form Bison Ambassadors from that group) and we would often be hosts in the president's suite. That was especially nice on very cold games.
Wasn't the first season in the Dome fall of 1993? That was my freshman year, and I am pretty certain I remember that being the first year games were played there. I don't think the dome opened until after the season ended the year before.

Christopher Moen
02-26-2019, 07:35 PM
Similar story here too. I don't recall a specific game, just that I would listen to all the games on the radio that I could and watch the championship games on TV starting in the mid-eighties or so. I remember having some sort of football board game with dice to determine plays and yards, and I would ask my older brothers what would happen if the Bison played the Bears. (This was right after the '85 Bears' Superbowl.) My brothers, of course, said the Bison would be demolished, but I wasn't convinced. :-)

I went to most home games in school from '93 - '96. I moved away after college in 1997 and sort of fell out of touch. And it was the first Gophers game in 2006 that hooked me back on the program. I was watching that game at a bar in Atlanta with some uninterested friends, but they started cheering for those "little guys in green" and were disappointed when they couldn't pull out the win on the score board. What a game changer!

Wasn't the first season in the Dome fall of 1993? That was my freshman year, and I am pretty certain I remember that being the first year games were played there. I don't think the dome opened until after the season ended the year before.

FargoDome didn't open until December 1992, so the first game was probably the September 4, 1993 game against Pittsburg State. NDSU won 35-16 with an attendance of 18,059. I believe this was the infamous game where Beachy hurt his knee and sadly ended his career.

BattleBorn
02-26-2019, 07:37 PM
Sorry in advance as this may suck a little fun out of this thread, but it shows how important Bison football has been to me and my dad. My dad took me to my first Bison game in 1990 (Cal Poly playoff game). My parents were divorced, and anytime the Bison played on Dad's weekend, we'd go. Sometime in elementary school, my mom and I moved to Winnipeg. I started playing hockey and didn't see my dad as much, but he'd still take me to Bison games when I'd come to Fargo. One game (I think it was a night game in 1994 or so), NDSU gave out evergreen saplings, and I planted mine in the backyard in Canada. My Bison tree was still there the last time I went up to a Jets game. That tree meant a lot to me as it represented something that I did with my hero, my dad.

Once I started playing hockey, we didn't get to go to many games together. We had a bit of a falling out as I was a young man who knew everything, and we didn't talk a whole lot. That all changed one wonderful Saturday when I had an extra ticket. A few beers in the tailgate lot, some honest conversation, and a beatdown of Youngstown State later, and we patched things right up.

After that, we didn't miss another game together (whether at the Dome or watching on TV). We had the best relationship a father and son could ask for, until he passed away unexpectedly the night before the 2017 opener (only 59 years old). It really bothers me that our last game was that JMU game in the Dome, so the title game gave me a little closure.

That was also my first trip to Frisco. I traveled alone to Frisco, sort of a pilgrimage my dad and I always said we would do (but never did). It was a very emotional trip. Friday night, I joined Honeybooboo and Pyro's crew. They made me like I'd been part of their group for years. I don't know if they had any clue how much shit was going through my head on that trip, but I guess they do now! That weekend really helped me to cope and move forward. Thanks to you guys and your group.

Again, I am sorry as I sorta sucked the fun out of this, but it was nice to get this out. I may be a sloppy mess, and I might delete this later, but for now here it is. I live in Louisville now, and my whole house is Bison. I met some amazing friends (NDSU alums) down here at watch parties. Would dad and I have patched things up without Bison football? I'd like to think so, but it's really hard to say. At any rate, Bison football opened that door for my dad and I, and introduced me to some amazing people from across the country. Not sure of the exact moment it happened, but all of the above, and I got hooked on NDSU football for life.

IBleedYellow
02-26-2019, 07:56 PM
The first time I watched Lamar Gordon run for a long TD.

I remembered going to games years before that, but that's my first distinct "oh yeah I'm in!" moment.

GSUsTALON
02-26-2019, 07:59 PM
First D1 game against Valpo hooked me. Georgia Southern 2 Semi-final took it to a whole another level, it was easily the best gameday experience I have ever been apart of.

Thanks AK.

The first 2 GSU/NDSU games really didn't shock me, but GSU was at full strength in the 3rd game and you pulled that one out. That game made me a believer in NDSUs prowess and capabilities. That game was a nail blighter as a semifinal should be!

OrygunBison
02-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Shamefully, I was given a hand-me-down UND t-shirt from some family friends and was wearing it while listening to the Bison-Sioux game while hunting with my dad around 1982 or so. The radio broadcast got me interested somehow in the Bison instead. I was around 11 years old at the time. The t-shirt was soon "lost" in the laundry somehow...

Somewhere around '85 or '86, my dad and I attended the Bison-Sioux games every year, coordinating deer hunting around it. (Yes, it IS possible!!) I remember going to Dacotah Field for the first time, my dad loading up on coffee, me on hot chocolate, taking a warming break in the BSA at halftime, and watching the rowdies in the student section across the stadium from us. The experience of Bison Football grabbed hold of me then. We listened to a lot of games on the radio back then. My dad and I had our first beer together while listening the the '88 championship game. I still remember that moment very fondly.

I started college in the fall of 1989, which was a 'tween year, void of a championship. I went to every home game for my entire college career (6 years) and about 40-50% of the away games, which consisted of easy drives back then. Drove to Florence, Alabama for the NC in 1990 and had an absolute blast. I also assumed that we'd be back again pretty soon. I got one of the "Thunder Zone" t-shirts for the first game in the student section at the Fargodome. Still have it. (It seems to have shrunk.) That was a fun day at the beginning but a bummer feeling leaving after Beachy's injury.

On a side note, I went to many WBB games during college and very few of the men's games. Those ladies really kicked ass. It was cool to go to NC games in the BSA.

I moved to Michigan after graduating in 1995 and still went back to ND for the Bison-Sioux game every year. Moved to Oregon in 1997 and kept the tradition on all years but one up to the DI transition. Admittedly, it was much harder to keep up with the team in those (dark) years given lack of media access, etc. I fell back from the school and team quite a bit at the time.

During the transition, it was awesome to be able to listen to just about every game through internet radio. I listened to miracles in Missoula, San Luis Obispo, and Davis, as well as a couple in Fargo. Scotty Miller was my gateway drug. That Kermit-the-Frog voice completely drew me in. When the video feeds became available, it was always Scotty and Phil dubbed over bad video in the dome.

I've been completely solid since. I try to make it to one game a year, either in Fargo or an away game, plus Frisco as well as watching the rest of the games on TV/webcast/recording. I've missed about 10 games total during the DI era.

yopaulie
02-26-2019, 08:10 PM
NDSU vs. Ashland in 1986. Was in high school, and was at Dacotah field that "fine and lovely day" with my older brother to see a 50-0 drubbing.

thebootfitter
02-26-2019, 08:13 PM
BTW -- Meant to mention it in my first response, but thanks for starting this thread!

I try to make it to one game a year, either in Fargo or an away game, plus Frisco as well as watching the rest of the games on TV/webcast/recording. I've missed about 10 games total during the DI era.
Living on the west coast makes doing this a bit challenging, but I'm in the same boat. This year I was actually able to make it back to two games with my seven-year old boy. Starting on the next generation of Bison fandom!

GSUsTALON
02-26-2019, 08:15 PM
Even if GSU and NDSU don't play each other again I have a NDSU game in the Fargo Dome on my bucket list.

Vet70
02-26-2019, 08:31 PM
December 10, 1983. The Bison beat Central State 41-21 for their 4th National Championship. We were in the delivery room listening to the game when my son was born. The wife wasn't paying too much attention for some reason.

bri-dog
02-26-2019, 08:44 PM
No particular game, but started at NDSU in the fall of '77. The games I didn't go to I watched on TV or listened to on the radio. Lost track after I moved to Denver in '85, then reconnected when streaming came out.

Been to every Chipper and every FBS game since '07 Gophers, as well as a smattering of home games here and there and an occasional away game in the scenic towns of Brookings, Springfield, MO, Carbondale, IL, and Youngstown...

Herd
02-26-2019, 10:29 PM
Always been a bison fan, but FBS games has taken my interest to a new level. 7 of 8 is awesome, but leaving me asking, what if. Need to competing against bigger schools, but BB is in a terrible place right now. Need to raise profile of NDSU and make a move.

Biggest games I’ve attended? 1) MN 11 2) Iowa 3) K State

KC Bison
02-26-2019, 10:30 PM
My brother got me interested in the late 1970's. I stayed fairly involved until 1985-1989 when we lived in DC with almost no information (prior to internet). Been in KC since 1989 but with internet (Bisonville and the Forum and ESPN3 and Plus) keep up with everything going on with the team.

OrygunBison
02-26-2019, 10:47 PM
My brother got me interested in the late 1970's. I stayed fairly involved until 1985-1989 when we lived in DC with almost no information (prior to internet). Been in KC since 1989 but with internet (Bisonville and the Forum and ESPN3 and Plus) keep up with everything going on with the team.

I forgot to mention that I was almost desperate to keep tabs of the team when I moved away. For the two years that I lived in Michigan and for the first 2 or 3 years here in Oregon, I was a subscriber to the Fargo Forum Sunday Edition mailed to me every week. For the most part, it was solely to keep up with the football team but they wouldn't let me just pay for August through December only.

KSBisonFan
02-27-2019, 12:06 AM
I don't have an exact game, but it started when my parents took our family to a couple games in the late 80's (Mike Favor and Jim Dick teams). Coming from a small 9-man town, Bison football was awesome. Neither of my parents were huge sports fans and both attended UND-Ellendale so I'm convinced they were spending the time and money for the trip for my sake.

I was hooked after watching the physicality and execution of Bison football. It was the way football was meant to be played. After seeing campus and the energy in the student section, I attended a couple Bison basketball camps while Erv Inniger was coach. I got to stay in the dorms, play in the BSA and knew I wanted to go to college there. The Ag department also swayed me to NDSU. My senior year in HS, I had opportunities to play football at some small schools and even a walk-on offer from Rocky, but my mind was made up to go to NDSU.

During my time at NDSU, I can't remember a game I missed. We started our own pre-game in Reed Hall and later on, in University Village, tapping a keg as soon as Chub's was open to pick up our keg. This also makes me wonder why Coors ever did away with the Party Ball? We could easily smuggle that 5 gallons of glory into the dorms. I was at the infamous game where someone in the student section threw a wiskey bottle at Ed Schulz in the pressbox. I'm guessing someone on this board knows who threw it. The student section in those days was an alcoholic convention. It was glorious.

I graduated in 1992 but made a point to return to Fargo for the first game in the Dome. I wanted to see what 18,000 really looked like compared to the ''Announced attendance" at Dakotah Field that was inflated to get the Dome built. Well, Beachy blew his knee out at that game. I didn't attend a home game in Fargo until the last 3 or 4 years.

I made it to a playoff game at Northwest Missouri State in 1997??? Bison lost and it wasn't the same style of play I remembered. Then, in 2010 when NDSU came to Lawrence, I made a point to go. I dragged family and friends to the game and the passion was revived. I've been to every FBS game since, several road games and all Natty's in Frisco. Even hosted a tailgate in Manhattan. Bison Football has become a family gathering and priority.

My parents are now huge Bison football fans and would probably be pissed off if a couple Saturdays in the Fall didn't involve Bison football in Fargo. They are also now regular Frisco attendees. I was even able to get my son's best friend to go to Frisco for the JMU game. Both his friend's parents are Bunny grads and he's now a converted Bison fan.

oldmantutters
02-27-2019, 12:08 AM
I went to a few games during the '91 season with my dad. I remember bundling up in my snowmobile suit being miserable. But things all changed in '92, I went to a game with my dad and my best friend. I ran into the student teacher from my class, who I found out was Arden Beachy's brother. Got to meet Arden and his parents and go into the locker room after the game. There was no turning back after that! I was a Bison fan from there on out and was #3 for the rest of my time playing any sport.

It's interesting to see a lot of waning support on here towards the end of the D2 days. I was kind of the same. Started at NDSU in the fall of '02 and joined a fraternity and was surprised that there was never really a group that would go to games. Got the feeling that no one really cared until the Montana game, I was watching in my room by myself, thinking there was really no interest in the game until the Bison went ahead. The house erupted, everyone kind of creeped out their doors in awe that everyone else was watching. Attendance at games changed after that.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
02-27-2019, 12:23 AM
I went to a few games during the '91 season with my dad. I remember bundling up in my snowmobile suit being miserable. But things all changed in '92, I went to a game with my dad and my best friend. I ran into the student teacher from my class, who I found out was Arden Beachy's brother. Got to meet Arden and his parents and go into the locker room after the game. There was no turning back after that! I was a Bison fan from there on out and was #3 for the rest of my time playing any sport.

It's interesting to see a lot of waning support on here towards the end of the D2 days. I was kind of the same. Started at NDSU in the fall of '02 and joined a fraternity and was surprised that there was never really a group that would go to games. Got the feeling that no one really cared until the Montana game, I was watching in my room by myself, thinking there was really no interest in the game until the Bison went ahead. The house erupted, everyone kind of creeped out their doors in awe that everyone else was watching. Attendance at games changed after that.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I keep telling people that I watched that Montana game at the Turf with my friend and we were literally the only people in the back room watching on the big screen. I'm sure the Babich years didn't do much for fan engagement but that shows just how far we've come.

ndsubison1
02-27-2019, 12:36 AM
New Hampshire game 2013

Frisco vs EWU

Hardrocker
02-27-2019, 01:05 AM
Grew up on a cattle ranch in the Southwest part of North Dakota, with four older siblings having attended NDSU, began listening in 1982 or 1983 because we were able to finally get a radio station to come in (i.e. Jamestown). I came to live for a Saturday afternoon game being on the tractor or in the shop fixing something. Not much has changed except my physical location and that I listen to it live via Bison 1660 app.
A few of the more memorable games...listening to "the PITCH" live vs USD in 1985 (I think it was this year)....listening to the Mud Bowl series against Pitt State while I was stuck at work in Wichita (later worked with the Pitt State starting Center who loved talking about those battles)...Great Thread!

AKBison
02-27-2019, 01:27 AM
Thanks AK.

The first 2 GSU/NDSU games really didn't shock me, but GSU was at full strength in the 3rd game and you pulled that one out. That game made me a believer in NDSUs prowess and capabilities. That game was a nail blighter as a semifinal should be!

We are talking about the same game. GSU1 and GSU2 on bisonville is in reference to those semi final games. The last had so much extra drama associated with it since it was GSU's last game in FCS. Then to top it off, your coach brings out his players early to disrupt the NDSU tunnel walk cranking up the atmosphere to 11. It had all the makings of a heavyweight tilt, good times.

AKBison
02-27-2019, 01:28 AM
Double Post.....

Bisonfanatical
02-27-2019, 02:16 AM
New Hampshire game 2013

That game hooked me for going online to get tickets for my first of 4 trips to Frisco.

CaBisonFan
02-27-2019, 06:11 AM
My sister brought me to a Bison game in about 1963 or 64. I was in elementary school...and was totally fascinated by the team, the uniforms, and the crowd. What year did Mudra and Erhardt come to coach? Think it was them.

Got to see the program turning into a long-term dynasty.

Then there's the game when the Bison beat #1 UND in GF in a big comeback. Early to mid 70s I think. Can somebody help me fill in the blanks? I can't seem to ever remember this stuff in detail. Severson did a bootleg (untouched) to win the game. The UND crowd was silent...which is the way it should be.

Mr Meaty
02-27-2019, 12:30 PM
Mud game in the playoffs at Pitt State.....I want to say 1994?

I was a fan before this game. But that game is one of my all time favorties. But it was not in 1990.

Opie11
02-27-2019, 01:39 PM
Started listening to a few games during their domination in the 80's and it built from there. Didn't attend a live game until I was a freshman in the fall of 1989. Always looked forward to the UN_ game each year as it was televised statewide. The fact that all of our games are now televised is absolutely a huge feather in NDSU's cap, and I'm sure has made many a fan out of people who may not otherwise be. The 12 year stretch of beating the school up north was a blast. Not a particular game, but the late season playoff games at Dacotah Field when the other team would come out bundled in heavy clothes and the long poncho type coats were awesome!

T-herd
02-27-2019, 01:56 PM
2004 52-0 win over Valparaiso

I was a freshman. First bison game

roadwarrior
02-27-2019, 01:58 PM
Then there's the game when the Bison beat #1 UND in GF in a big comeback. Early to mid 70s I think. Can somebody help me fill in the blanks? I can't seem to ever remember this stuff in detail. Severson did a bootleg (untouched) to win the game. The UND crowd was silent...which is the way it should be.

That was 1972.

CaBisonFan
02-27-2019, 02:12 PM
NDSU vs. Ashland in 1986. Was in high school, and was at Dacotah field that "fine and lovely day" with my older brother to see a 50-0 drubbing.Have you seen the video of it?

SomeBeach
02-27-2019, 04:27 PM
Bison vs. Morningside Maroon Chiefs in late 60's at Dacotah Field. Had to be told early in the game that the guys in Green/Gold were "our" Bison, NOT the Green Bay Packers.

17>1
02-27-2019, 04:47 PM
I will add that while memories are bit vague from the 80's and early 90's, I do know I was around to see Jeff Bentrim and Phil Hanson. I didn't know the significance of how good those guys really were at the time, but I was aware there was something that set them apart from the rest.

Can I just mention how great of a job parenting my parents did raising me to be a Bison fan?!!

IzzyFlexion
02-27-2019, 06:20 PM
2004 52-0 win over Valparaiso

I was a freshman. First bison game

I was in the Valpo training room a couple of months after that game.
Their trainer said....."We had no idea we were walking into something like that!"....talking about the dome atmosphere, etc.

North End Zone Resident
02-27-2019, 06:26 PM
The year we beat Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the playoffs. Memory is a little foggy, but I think that's the year the football team was sent home for Thanksgiving break as there was no way we were going to make the playoffs, until all the right teams lost in the final week of the regular season. Anyway, I believe we backed into the playoffs, and then won the National Championship.....I was hooked

Correction: We beat Cal Davis the year we got into the playoffs late (I had to fire up the old VCR and watch "100 years of Tradition" to find out the answer. Tape is in remarkably good shape)

What year did we play Cal Poly SLO in the playoffs? Or am I not remembering correctly.

T-herd
02-27-2019, 07:42 PM
I was in the Valpo training room a couple of months after that game.
Their trainer said....."We had no idea we were walking into something like that!"....talking about the dome atmosphere, etc.

Saw a couple assistant valpo coaches at Taco Bell after the game. They were impressed with the gold crowd and asked if there was a t-shirt giveaway(wasn’t). They said something similar to us about the atmosphere.

Christopher Moen
02-27-2019, 07:47 PM
The year we beat Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the playoffs. Memory is a little foggy, but I think that's the year the football team was sent home for Thanksgiving break as there was no way we were going to make the playoffs, until all the right teams lost in the final week of the regular season. Anyway, I believe we backed into the playoffs, and then won the National Championship.....I was hooked

Correction: We beat Cal Davis the year we got into the playoffs late (I had to fire up the old VCR and watch "100 years of Tradition" to find out the answer. Tape is in remarkably good shape)

What year did we play Cal Poly SLO in the playoffs? Or am I not remembering correctly.

NDSU beat Cal Poly in the Quarterfinals of the 1990 playoffs by a score of 47-0.

bisoningrandforks
02-27-2019, 08:14 PM
1982...semifinal game against uc davis I believe Ken Obrien was there qb........1983...full season to now.....

North End Zone Resident
02-27-2019, 08:31 PM
NDSU beat Cal Poly in the Quarterfinals of the 1990 playoffs by a score of 47-0.

Thank you. I was way off, amazing how the years start to blend together!

Snowgoose
02-27-2019, 09:08 PM

Cal Poly players were literally frozen on the sidelines. My memory remembers they were all huddled around the heater the whole second half. In their defense the southside at Dacotah field sucked with the shade and wind while the north side had the sun and no wind. Seemed like a 50 degree difference.

yopaulie
02-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Have you seen the video of it?

No, think I've only seen short snippets of it.

GSUsTALON
02-27-2019, 09:50 PM
We are talking about the same game. GSU1 and GSU2 on bisonville is in reference to those semi final games. The last had so much extra drama associated with it since it was GSU's last game in FCS. Then to top it off, your coach brings out his players early to disrupt the NDSU tunnel walk cranking up the atmosphere to 11. It had all the makings of a heavyweight tilt, good times.

What was HC Monken's reason for the dispute to the NDSU Tunnel walk. Never heard the story. Would love to know.

I think the first time we played you was in Statesboro when you were in D2. It was the second and 3rd time we played NDSU that you were FCS. The only game I liked was the 3rd, but we still lost all 3.

IzzyFlexion
02-27-2019, 09:54 PM
What was HC Monken's reason for dispute to the NDSU Tunnel walk. Never heard the story.

I think the first time we played you was in Statesboro when you were in D2. It was the second and 3rd time we played NDSU that you were FCS. The only game I liked was the 3rd, but we still lost all 3.

Drove from Atlanta to Statesboro with an NDSU staff member in June of that year.....scouting the facilities and area accomodations for the upcoming game. Beautiful setting.

EC8CH
02-27-2019, 09:54 PM
What was HC Monken's reason for dispute to the NDSU Tunnel walk. Never heard the story.

GSU just came out before the lights came on. Most teams wait until after NDSU comes out and the lights come back on. Guess it showed they weren't intimidated by the team or the atmosphere.

In the end, it was the perfect start to the game the way everything played out. I'll never forget Drew Ruggles wanted to swim with the sharks.

GCWaters
02-27-2019, 10:01 PM
What was HC Monken's reason for the dispute to the NDSU Tunnel walk. Never heard the story. Would love to know.

We were FCS for all three...the first game was in our probationary period...2006, the van gorder year...

GSUsTALON
02-27-2019, 10:06 PM
Drove from Atlanta to Statesboro with an NDSU staff member in June of that year.....scouting the facilities and area accomodations for the upcoming game. Beautiful setting.
You would be talking our first game when NDSU played us as a D2 team and beat us. That HC wanted to transform us into a passing team using Option players. I think that loss sealed his fate
so the loss wasn't all bad for GSU.

The stadium you saw then has been highly updated from 18,000 seats to by adding on a second tear and new 55+ Sq, Ft. football facility in the east end zone and a true big screen.

They did a great job.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Expanded_Paulson_Stadium.jpg

Herd
02-27-2019, 10:11 PM
Following their gut wrenching defeat to the Bison in the 2011 playoffs, Jeff Monken had his GA So team together on the field singing their school song. That was emotional for me, and I’ve been a GA So fan and Monken fan ever since. Class Act!! Go Army!

Vet70
02-27-2019, 10:16 PM
I'll never forget Drew Ruggles wanted to swim with the sharks.

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/2687115264/h7A05FB3D/

GSUsTALON
02-27-2019, 10:20 PM
We were FCS for all three...the first game was in our probationary period...2006, the van gorder year...

Please don't bring up Van Pukes name. Thank you for helping GSU get rid of him after 1 year. No one in Statesboro like him and under him we were no where near a playoff bid. The same for the next HC. The next 2 games GSU played NDSU under HC Monken and his first game against NDSU was a disaster. We had a very good play calling QB in Shaw, but he was not quick or fast enough to make it to the LOS and gain anything after NDSU shut down the FB and pitch man.

In the 3rd game NDSU tried the same defensive scheme but our QB was quick and fast enough to gain the yardage GSU needed. I think he had 230 yards that game, but NDSU still made a come back and won that game against a very good GSU Triple Option team

GSUsTALON
02-27-2019, 10:25 PM
Following their gut wrenching defeat to the Bison in the 2011 playoffs, Jeff Monken had his GA So team together on the field singing their school song. That was emotional for me, and I’ve been a GA So fan and Monken fan ever since. Class Act!! Go Army!

Thanks

He has turned ARMY around and I wish GSU could have kept him.

GSUsTALON
02-27-2019, 10:29 PM
GSU just came out before the lights came on. Most teams wait until after NDSU comes out and the lights come back on. Guess it showed they weren't intimidated by the team or the atmosphere.

In the end, it was the perfect start to the game the way everything played out. I'll never forget Drew Ruggles wanted to swim with the sharks.

Maybe he was trying to get his team ready. I don't remember any objections from NDSU in the local paper or Monken Show.

GSUsTALON
02-27-2019, 10:53 PM
I just remember after the 3rd game with NDSU I saw the Bison in a new light. Your Coaching & Players are top notch and you haven't faltered.
GSU is inconsistent with their coaching picks & we have payed the price.

Christopher Moen
02-27-2019, 10:55 PM
No, think I've only seen short snippets of it.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Itfnegz48

CalBisonFan, any chance you have full versions of those games?

Christopher Moen
02-27-2019, 11:12 PM
NDSU-GSU #1 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/262800290): NDSU wins 34-14 in Statesboro.
NDSU-GSU #2a (https://www.bisonmediazone.com/georgia-southern-is-out/): GSU buys out of the FargoDome game for $60,000. I believe St. Francis ends up being the replacement game (NDSU wins 56-3) on September 10, 2011 (GSU was suppose to play NDSU on September 17, 2011). This buy-out might be a telltale sign of why a home and home is not possible with GSU. Well, at least at the FargoDome.
NDSU-GSU #2b (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5eRPrkYblQ): NDSU wins 35-7 at the FargoDome.
NDSU-GSU #3: NDSU wins 23-20 in a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yN1L80yOAE

GSUsTALON
02-27-2019, 11:28 PM
What made me an NDSU fan (GAME 3)

THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_H2PQxa9jQ

& stopping this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0PFhvTT2_w

GSUsTALON
02-27-2019, 11:37 PM
NDSU-GSU #1 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/262800290): NDSU wins 34-14 in Statesboro.
NDSU-GSU #2a (https://www.bisonmediazone.com/georgia-southern-is-out/): GSU buys out of the FargoDome game for $60,000. I believe St. Francis ends up being the replacement game (NDSU wins 56-3) on September 10, 2011 (GSU was suppose to play NDSU on September 17, 2011). This buy-out might be a telltale sign of why a home and home is not possible with GSU. Well, at least at the FargoDome.
NDSU-GSU #2b (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5eRPrkYblQ): NDSU wins 35-7 at the FargoDome.
NDSU-GSU #3: NDSU wins 23-20 in a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yN1L80yOAE

A sad day in GSU's history - GSU buys out of the Fargo Dome game for $60,000. I believe St. Francis ends up being the replacement game (NDSU wins 56-3) on September 10, 2011 (GSU was suppose to play NDSU on September 17, 2011). This buy-out might be a telltale sign of why a home and home is not possible with GSU. Well, at least at the Fargo Dome.

BisonJump
02-27-2019, 11:56 PM
Getting hammered too many times with my track teammate Kevin Donnalley who went on to play for the Patriots and coach the Bison under Hager.

Playing BB games of horse using only dunks with track teammates Stacy Robinson (2nd round draft choice by the Giants) and Jeff Conley (who was also a wide receiver) as a warm up to indoor track practice.

Being a track teammate with Robert Blakely who was also a wide receiver and 7th round draft choice by St. Louis.

Renting a room from former track teammate Shane Hoddenfield my first year of coaching women’s track and field while he was an assistant football coach under Rocky. The next year a young grad assistant named Gus Bradley rented the same room.

Rocky saying “How’s it going Schweigs” in the hallway of the BSA.

Hearing the glass break from the schnapps bottle thrown at Ed Schultz in the press booth behind me as I drank from my own bottle.

Etc.

Christopher Moen
02-28-2019, 12:02 AM
Getting hammered too many times with my track teammate Kevin Donnalley who went on to play for the Patriots and coach the Bison under Hager.

Playing BB games of horse using only dunks with track teammates Stacy Robinson (2nd round draft choice by the Giants) and Jeff Conley (who was also a wide receiver) as a warm up to indoor track practice.

Being a track teammate with Robert Blakely who was also a wide receiver and 7th round draft choice by St. Louis.

Renting a room from former track teammate Shane Hoddenfield my first year of coaching women’s track and field while he was an assistant football coach under Rocky. The next year a young grad assistant named Gus Bradley rented the same room.

Hearing the glass break from the schnapps bottle thrown at Ed Schultz in the press booth behind me as I drank from my own bottle.

Etc.

https://media.giphy.com/media/nlWGe7Q64zwQ0/giphy.gif

VirginiaBison
02-28-2019, 12:25 AM
1966 NDSU vs UND at GF. I believe Sporting News sent a reporter to cover the "rivaly" game. NDSU won 18–15 on a late field goal by Bill Bergy(?) which the article described as the 'lowest, slowest' field goal the reporter had ever seen kicked. The NDSU party in GF afterward was an absolute blast. Everclear flowed freely that night. You couldn't even trust the ice or the drinking water. Beer wasn't even a consideration, because it was a watery 3.2 beer back then.

Just for old times sake - when the foundation was being laid: https://gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=60&path=&kiosk and https://www.inforum.com/sports/3037545-glory-within-reach-former-1965-players-cheer-2012-squad

GSUsTALON
02-28-2019, 12:43 AM
1966 NDSU vs UND at GF. I believe Sporting News sent a reporter to cover the "rivaly" game. NDSU won 18–15 on a late field goal by Bill Bergy(?) which the article described as the 'lowest, slowest' field goal the reporter had ever seen kicked. The NDSU party in GF afterward was an absolute blast. Everclear flowed freely that night. You couldn't even trust the ice or the drinking water. Beer wasn't even a consideration, because it was a watery 3.2 beer back then.

Just for old times sake - when the foundation was being laid: https://gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=60&path=&kiosk and https://www.inforum.com/sports/3037545-glory-within-reach-former-1965-players-cheer-2012-squad

1966?

Everclear flowed freely!

190 proof should have wormed you up a bit. I tried Everclear for a while as a mixed drink, but drank it like beer. Didn't work out for me very well so I just went back to beer.

VirginiaBison
02-28-2019, 12:54 AM
1966?

Everclear flowed freely!

190 proof should have wormed you up a bit. I tried Everclear for a while as a mixed drink, but drank it like beer. Didn't work out for me very well so I just went back to beer.

Well, I confident you were not the date of most folks in the stands back then. But if you were only a 5.4 or 5.5 young thing from small town ND/MN, Everclear was sufficient for everyone to have a good time.

GSUsTALON
02-28-2019, 01:01 AM
Well, I confident you were not the date of most folks in the stands back then. But if you were only a 5.4 or 5.5 young thing from small town ND/MN, Everclear was sufficient for everyone to have a good time.

Didn't mean to offend. A half pint of Everclear works great to sneak into a game. 2oz in a 16oz coke still makes you smell like rubbing alcohol but will do the trick. It was me that couldn't seem to monitor my intake.

CaBisonFan
02-28-2019, 01:29 AM
This one?

CalBisonFan, any chance you have full versions of those games?I don't have the full versions anymore. Might be on a VHS tape somewhere, but I've kind of lost the drive to do this anymore. Seems like it's gotten more complicated as I upgrade my tech equipment. Sorry

Twincitybizon
02-28-2019, 01:57 AM
Bison fan from the moment of conception. Ndsu radical since the d2 wrestling national championship where I believe saxland 3/4 Nelson'd a guy from a stand up and stick him in the finals. Bad assssss

GSUsTALON
02-28-2019, 02:03 AM
Bison fan from the moment of conception. Ndsu radical since the d2 wrestling national championship where I believe saxland 3/4 Nelson'd a guy from a stand up and stick him in the finals. Bad assssss

So you wrested in high school and NDSU or were you an NDSU fan.
OR are you a RASLIN fan? If so Dusty Rhoads or Rick Flair? ;-)

bri-dog
02-28-2019, 02:38 AM
1966?

Everclear flowed freely!

Umm, I think Everclear killed worms... :rimshot:

Christopher Moen
02-28-2019, 02:58 AM
I don't have the full versions anymore. Might be on a VHS tape somewhere, but I've kind of lost the drive to do this anymore. Seems like it's gotten more complicated as I upgrade my tech equipment. Sorry

If you need someone to help, I have the equipment and ability. In fact, I’m digitalizing a ton of wrestling VHS tapes right now.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190228/d61cd193554a28c5147b8c8b1a795134.jpg

GSUsTALON
02-28-2019, 03:05 AM

It can make you blind for 12 hours!

GSUsTALON
02-28-2019, 03:08 AM
If you need someone to help, I have the equipment and ability. In fact, I’m digitalizing a ton of wrestling VHS tapes right now.

Did you wrestle or just a fan?

Ndsu84
02-28-2019, 03:11 AM
I know who threw the bottle as I’m sure others here do too.

He’s was and is still a good friend and crazy party animal. :) I was sitting about 50 people over from him and saw the whole thing. Awesome times!

The guy rented a house for 3 years ~ where Herd and Horns now sits. Coincidence??????

Christopher Moen
02-28-2019, 03:11 AM
Did you wrestle or just a fan?

Wrestled. Was mainly a Greco guy due to my throwing ability.

MontBison
02-28-2019, 04:04 AM
Went to a ton of games before it but 07 @ SDSU got me hooked even though we took the L

B. b. bison
02-28-2019, 11:18 AM
2006 Gophers game was my first Bison away game - it was a loss but it hooked me.

NDSUKurt
02-28-2019, 02:26 PM
2004, the game at South Dakota State (we lost 21-24)

My buddy and I waited outside the Memorial Union to win tickets to the game that were being given away by the student government on the Thursday before the game. I won a pair and we went down to the game (added a single ticket for his little brother). It was a night game, and after we lost, SDSU fans were talking crap as we were leaving, and the waitress at the restaurant we ate at after the game did the same.

Before that game, I liked SDSU (I almost went there instead of NDSU, but I just "had a feeling" about being a Bison. Plus, I didn't want to go to a school that was using Bugs Bunny as its mascot). After that game, my disdain for SDSU went into full gear.

While I respect SDSU for joining us in the transition to DI (unlike UND and South Dakota), it was this game that made me want to follow the Bison all the time and pummel the Jackrabbits every chance we got.

A close runner up was the playoff game at Eastern Washington. I was living in Virginia at the time, so I never got to see the Bison in person. I was channel surfing and came across the game on cable so I was able to watch the game. The blown fumble call pissed me off, but I saw that we were going to be good for a while.

Twincitybizon
02-28-2019, 03:07 PM
So you wrested in high school and NDSU or were you an NDSU fan.
OR are you a RASLIN fan? If so Dusty Rhoads or Rick Flair? ;-)

Wrestled in high school and college. Not into WWE type stuff. Didn't have cable as a kid to watch that stuff anyway.

HandoEX
02-28-2019, 03:47 PM
This one?

CalBisonFan, any chance you have full versions of those games?

I have this full game on dvd if anyone wants to borrow it.

totoinfl
02-28-2019, 03:50 PM

I have followed Monken since he was an assistant at Navy. The guy is a hard nosed, classy old school coach. Hard for me to say the Go A...! thing, but Monken is a class act...unfortunately his offense will likely limit is ability to move up to bigger better FBS teams, if he continues his current level of success, he will be at the Point for a long, long time.

totoinfl
02-28-2019, 03:53 PM

Etc.

Ha ha...I was probably there for those games as well. I was a tutor for Stacy. He was an interesting dude...RIP

totoinfl
02-28-2019, 03:55 PM

Bri-dog...you should be worm free for life...three words...purple passion punch

IzzyFlexion
02-28-2019, 06:10 PM

Gene Simmons would be offended that your lotion bottle is closer to the Bison banner than the KISS poster.:rofl:

CaBisonFan
02-28-2019, 06:42 PM
I have this full game on dvd if anyone wants to borrow it.Christopher Moen would probably like to borrow it.

Christopher Moen
02-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Gene Simmons would be offended that your lotion bottle is closer to the Bison banner than the KISS poster.:rofl:

I'll move it if he cuts me a good deal on their "End of the Road" tour.

Otherwise, it stays. Darn arid climate makes the hands chap pretty quick.

BadlandsBison
02-28-2019, 07:38 PM
I'll move it if he cuts me a good deal on their "End of the Road" tour.

Otherwise, it stays. Darn arid climate makes the hands chap pretty quick.

Got any Dan Severn in your collection?

Christopher Moen
02-28-2019, 07:41 PM
Christopher Moen would probably like to borrow it.

I'll help anyone digitalize their old NDSU football game tapes. Fairly easy process for me. However, the reel-to-reel tapes can be tough and often requires a dehydrator to get them playable again.

SlickVic
02-28-2019, 07:44 PM

I seen Dan the beast beat the ever loving shit out of some poor bastere at mahnomen when I was a kid...I got blood on me in the 5th row it was brutal

Christopher Moen
02-28-2019, 07:59 PM

I haven't seen any old footage of him. He's probably on some old VHS tapes of the 84' and 88' Olympic Trials in our storage unit. If it exists, my predecessor would probably have it as he had all those tapes digitalize before he retired. Unfortunately, he took everything with him when he left, so when I need something, I either have to wait to see if he can find it (he's still a pretty busy guy) or I get to "enjoy" the process of finding the footage myself.

This process becomes too much fun when third party companies need old footage for their project. We ran into this when working with those that did the Team Foxcatcher (https://www.netflix.com/title/80044093) documentary and currently with those who are doing a project on Kurt Angle. It's literally looking for a needle in the haystack. I'm just glad when MMA companies like the UFC needs footage, it's for athletes that competed during my tenure in the video department, and therefore, will already have their footage readily available in digital format on hard drives and easy to find.

GSUsTALON
02-28-2019, 08:21 PM
Wrestled. Was mainly a Greco guy due to my throwing ability.

I wrestled starting in 8th grade in the AAU under the High School coach. Then was on the high school team in high school. In practice I was very good. The coach had me wrestle from my 132 weight class up to 180 pound class. I was very good at take downs and could block the opponents attempt for a take down on me. The problem with me was against other teams in matches in front of crowds.
When I got out in front of the crowd I froze and begin to think instead of act. (I did not have the athletes mindset) I still enjoyed wrestling my team mates but would never make a true wrestler because of my fear of loosing in front of a crowed.

GSUsTALON
02-28-2019, 08:24 PM
Wrestled in high school and college. Not into WWE type stuff. Didn't have cable as a kid to watch that stuff anyway.

I watched the NWA raslin stuff as a kid in the 70s. I knew it wasn't real then but watched anyway

GSUsTALON
02-28-2019, 08:41 PM
I have followed Monken since he was an assistant at Navy. The guy is a hard nosed, classy old school coach. Hard for me to say the Go A...! thing, but Monken is a class act...unfortunately his offense will likely limit is ability to move up to bigger better FBS teams, if he continues his current level of success, he will be at the Point for a long, long time.

Navy has done very well running it & Monken has turned around Army with it. I don't see Monken changing his offensive scheme much. Of the 3 Academies Army has the most trouble getting players.

BadlandsBison
03-01-2019, 08:59 PM
I haven't seen any old footage of him. He's probably on some old VHS tapes of the 84' and 88' Olympic Trials in our storage unit. If it exists, my predecessor would probably have it as he had all those tapes digitalize before he retired. Unfortunately, he took everything with him when he left, so when I need something, I either have to wait to see if he can find it (he's still a pretty busy guy) or I get to "enjoy" the process of finding the footage myself.

This process becomes too much fun when third party companies need old footage for their project. We ran into this when working with those that did the Team Foxcatcher (https://www.netflix.com/title/80044093) documentary and currently with those who are doing a project on Kurt Angle. It's literally looking for a needle in the haystack. I'm just glad when MMA companies like the UFC needs footage, it's for athletes that competed during my tenure in the video department, and therefore, will already have their footage readily available in digital format on hard drives and easy to find.

I've wanted to see tape of Severn wrestling in his prime. Apparently he could pin any olympic wrestling except Banach who edged Severn in the olympic trials. Keep your peeled

Christopher Moen
03-01-2019, 10:57 PM
I've wanted to see tape of Severn wrestling in his prime. Apparently he could pin any olympic wrestling except Banach who edged Severn in the olympic trials. Keep your peeled

Not sure about the pinning part, but during the 1984 Olympic Team Trails, Severn had quite a bit of convincing wins in the qualifier part of the tournament at 100 KG in Freestyle wrestling. The only fall he had there was against Greg Gibson, who would go on to win a Silver in Los Angeles in Greco-Roman. Severn lost the finals to Lou Banach, 6-1, setting him up as the number two (I believe the top four would advance) on the ladder for the final trails of the tournament. Severn would pin Greg Gibson to set up a rematch with Banach in the best out of three finals. Banach pins Severn in the first match, Severn gets a late two-point turn to tie the match at four a piece and wins by criteria. In the final match, Banach wins 7-5 in what I've heard was a pretty controversial match.

Severn did win a World Title as a Junior in 1977, but probably his biggest win in his career was over the Soviet Union's Leri Chabelov, (an eight-time World Champion - five in the Senior division) at the 1986 World Cup.

If you want to see Severn against another beast, here is a video of him wrestling Bruce Baumgartner (one our country's most decorated international wrestlers, and USAW's current President) to a draw at collegiate All-Star Match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsBQVfU95Z8

GSUsTALON
03-01-2019, 11:28 PM

I remember when Moan and I took on Severn and Banach in a tag teem match in the back area of a bar once. Seven and Banach double teamed Moan in the first 15 seconds and threw Moan on top of me. While Moan fought on I was crushed and had cracked ribs. I can't remember what happened exactly, but what I remember is Banach carrying Seven of in a fire mans carry to his car. Moan had a fifth of Everclear in his hand calling the punks back.

Is that the way you recall it Moan?

Bwha, ha ha...……. ;-)

Christopher Moen
03-01-2019, 11:34 PM
I remember when Moan and I took on Severn and Banach in a tag teem match in the back area of a bar once. Seven and Banach double teamed Moan in the first 15 seconds and threw Moan on top of me. While Moan fought on I was crushed and had cracked ribs. I can't remember what happened exactly, but what I remember is Banach carrying Seven of in a fire mans carry to his car. Moan had a fifth of Everclear in his hand calling the punks back.

Is that the way you recall it Moan?

Bwha, ha ha...……. ;-)

Well, in my defense, I was only eight at the time, and therefore, completely plausible.

GSUsTALON
03-01-2019, 11:47 PM
Well, in my defense, I was only eight at the time, and therefore, completely plausible.

Well Seven and Banach weren't in there prime when it happened. I just remember you smacking them around in the bar. I said to myself, TALON, this Moan guy has gumpion & I have to try & back him up. Thanks for dropping me off at a Nevada barrowful and paying for my rehab. They took care of me well! ;-)

BadlandsBison
03-01-2019, 11:54 PM
Not sure about the pinning part, but during the 1984 Olympic Team Trails, Severn had quite a bit of convincing wins in the qualifier part of the tournament at 100 KG in Freestyle wrestling. The only fall he had there was against Greg Gibson, who would go on to win a Silver in Los Angeles in Greco-Roman. Severn lost the finals to Lou Banach, 6-1, setting him up as the number two (I believe the top four would advance) on the ladder for the final trails of the tournament. Severn would pin Greg Gibson to set up a rematch with Banach in the best out of three finals. Banach pins Severn in the first match, Severn gets a late two-point turn to tie the match at four a piece and wins by criteria. In the final match, Banach wins 7-5 in what I've heard was a pretty controversial match.

Severn did win a World Title as a Junior in 1977, but probably his biggest win in his career was over the Soviet Union's Leri Chabelov, (an eight-time World Champion - five in the Senior division) at the 1986 World Cup.

If you want to see Severn against another beast, here is a video of him wrestling Bruce Baumgartner (one our country's most decorated international wrestlers, and USAW's current President) to a draw at collegiate All-Star Match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsBQVfU95Z8

That's an interesting watch. Was Bruce at a higher weight at this point?

I guess the story I heard was Severn had previously pinned all of the wrestlers that Banach ended up wrestling in the olympics. No idea if its true. I also discovered today that Severn had 2 brothers that were all american wrestlers at asu.

Christopher Moen
03-02-2019, 12:46 AM
That's an interesting watch. Was Bruce at a higher weight at this point?

I guess the story I heard was Severn had previously pinned all of the wrestlers that Banach ended up wrestling in the olympics. No idea if its true. I also discovered today that Severn had 2 brothers that were all american wrestlers at asu.

In college, both were heavyweights. I believe back then heavyweight was still unlimited as Tab Thacker competed around this time. In Freestyle, Severn and Banach were 100 KG (220 LBS) wrestlers while Baumgartner was in the unlimited weight class.

GSUsTALON
03-02-2019, 01:32 AM
In college, both were heavyweights. I believe back then heavyweight was still unlimited as Tab Thacker competed around this time. In Freestyle, Severn and Banach were 100 KG (220 LBS) wrestlers while Baumgartner was in the unlimited weight class.

In high school what was 180lb, light heavy weight. what did they call it?

Vet70
03-02-2019, 01:42 AM
In high school what was 180lb, light heavy weight. what did they call it?

They called it "thread drift".

CaBisonFan
03-02-2019, 02:36 AM
Since 2000, I'd say that the first Minnesota game got things going again...even though we lost. And the 2003 Montana game was also a big one for the program.

These two games combined to get my interest again, after a rather dull decade or more.

There were some great players leading up to 2003...but the teams lacked something generally. My interest had waned some. I was interested...but not fanatical.

Moonstar
03-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Started paying attention to Bison FB in the early 80's. I remember watching the games against the Sioux that were televised. Listened to the '83 championship game on the radio. Moved to Fargo in '84 and went to games at Dacotah Field. Had season tickets shortly after the Dome opened.

GSUsTALON
03-02-2019, 08:49 PM
They called it "thread drift".

Sorry, I rarely find a person that has wrestled at the high school level & then went on to the collage level. I got sidetracked again.

Some of GSCs best offensive linemen were wrestlers, back in the day, when we ran the triple option and used cut blocking.

Down low & into the legs.

CAS4127
03-02-2019, 11:43 PM

Played them in ‘88. My senior year. May have played them again later.

Elvis was a Bison
03-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Season opener in the Fall of 1970 against Eastern Michigan. 14-14 tie. If my memory is still any good, EM had a minority kick returner that gave us trouble all night. I believe we had a group of frat boys that night that initiated a terribly racist chant towards this fellow and got their house in a world of shit as a result. So, almost 50 years as a Bison fan.

cbline
03-06-2019, 12:17 PM
OK, I'll date myself. My first Bison game was watching Paul Hatchett in the late 60's.

southcliffbison
03-06-2019, 02:13 PM
OK, I'll date myself. My first Bison game was watching Paul Hatchett in the late 60's.

I'll date myself also; the very first time I watched the Bison wasn't in person, but on the TV. Early, early 60's, Bison/Whioux game; Errol Mann was the kicker for the undies.

bisonforever
03-06-2019, 02:14 PM
Played them in ‘88. My senior year. May have played them again later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk CAS- actually we played CS Sacramento in 88’. Cal Poly in 90’.

KTF
03-06-2019, 05:13 PM
Marching band 2000 season...

BlueKeyAlum
03-12-2019, 01:32 PM
I was in the gold star marching band in 1984 so attended a lot of the home games. I quit the gold start marching band in 1985 but didn't quit Bison Football even when I lived in Omaha, Cheney, Missoula, Klamath Falls, Lewiston (ID), Boise and Bend (OR)

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
03-13-2019, 02:28 PM
I was at many games before this one, but the one that keeps sticking out to me was the SHSU game in '07. I was 12 at the time, and when Sam Houston went up right at the end, I remember my friends packing up to leave right there. I made them stay the rest of the game and said do not give up hope. I'm sure they were glad I told them to stay.:nod:

GSUsTALON
03-13-2019, 06:52 PM
I was at many games before this one, but the one that keeps sticking out to me was the SHSU game in '07. I was 12 at the time, and when Sam Houston went up right at the end, I remember my friends packing up to leave right there. I made them stay the rest of the game and said do not give up hope. I'm sure they were glad I told them to stay.:nod:

*My brother is a UCF grad and fan. At FCS level, in the 80s, he was a fair weather fan.

GSU & UCF played 11 times. They beat us in our 2nd year as a club team & then never again.

My Brother & I use to alternate going to the games in Statesboro & Orlando. GSU was always ahead in the 4th and he always wanted to leave half way through the 4th while I wanted to stay and see if GSC could add more points. I told him that he should support his team and UCF may make a comeback. I think he knew that wasn't going to happen but when I pay for a game, I'd like to watch it to the end. When UCF played in Statesboro my brothers consolation prize was going to the Savanah bars and restaurants after the game. The same in Orlando. I never asked him to pay for the winner’s drinks. I never wanted to rub it in after the games.

I know that the last 2 years when I went to a UCF game with him, he made me stay till the end even though UCF had the game in the bag. How things have changed!

North Side
03-14-2019, 12:26 AM
2007 Freshman year, I loved Joe Mays

Twincitybizon
03-14-2019, 01:13 AM

Hell yes, he was my favorite from my college frame and I have his jersey.

ByeSonBusiness
03-14-2019, 01:47 AM
1986 NDSU UND game. 6 years before my birth. Dad recorded it on VHS. Used to watch that all the time.

CalBison97
03-14-2019, 12:43 PM

Hell yes, he was my favorite from my college frame and I have his jersey.

I’ve got an orange Bronco #51 Mays jersey. Met Joe at one of the Frisco title games he attended as an alum. Down-to-earth personality and great to talk to. He’s definitely one of my all-time favorite Bison.

GSUsTALON
03-15-2019, 09:22 PM
I’ve got an orange Bronco #51 Mays jersey. Met Joe at one of the Frisco title games he attended as an alum. Down-to-earth personality and great to talk to. He’s definitely one of my all-time favorite Bison.

You've gat the 51st Ford Bronco off the assembly line? Does it still run or will you have to put some money into it to make it to JMUs stadium and back.
You could put your Bronco on the AmTrack Auto Train, get off in near the stadium & drive it from the Hotel then to the game to show it off.

CalB, Just an idea to help a Bison fan out! ;=)

Tony Almeida
03-18-2019, 10:15 PM
I was at many games before this one, but the one that keeps sticking out to me was the SHSU game in '07. I was 12 at the time, and when Sam Houston went up right at the end, I remember my friends packing up to leave right there. I made them stay the rest of the game and said do not give up hope. I'm sure they were glad I told them to stay.:nod:Wow, I'm proud of you!

Twincitybizon
03-18-2019, 10:32 PM

That was a great game! I think I was on an official visit as a high school senior pretty near front row of students section. It was awesome. Place blew up.

Vet70
03-18-2019, 11:16 PM
That was a great game! I think I was on an official visit as a high school senior pretty near front row of students section. It was awesome. Place blew up.

Rhett Bomer was a Sooner transfer and was a dude in that game---358 yards passing, 103 rushing and 4 TD's. He went on to have a cup of coffee with the Giants, Vikings, and Raiders.

Twincitybizon
03-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Rhett Bomer was a Sooner transfer and was a dude in that game---358 yards passing, 103 rushing and 4 TD's. He went on to have a cup of coffee with the Giants, Vikings, and Raiders.

He really was great in that game. But so was the game winning catch on the sideline!!! Hail the bison

Klepto
03-19-2019, 08:45 PM

That 2007 team holds a special place in my heart. Steve Walker is still my favorite Bison QB. What they were able to accomplish that season was special. I remember hearing rumors about a possible bowl invite if they were to finish undefeated, but then they lost a heart-breaker to SDSU to close the season. What a great squad!

Hammersmith
03-19-2019, 09:02 PM
I was in the gold star marching band in 1984 so attended a lot of the home games. I quit the gold start marching band in 1985 but didn't quit Bison Football even when I lived in Omaha, Cheney, Missoula, Klamath Falls, Lewiston (ID), Boise and Bend (OR)

Similar for me. GSMB from 94-99. Didn't care about FB for most of that, but became a drum major for 98 & 99. Needed to learn the game at least somewhat to do a good job. Then the early DI success convinced me it was good for the university, so I became an actual fan after that.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
03-20-2019, 05:08 PM
I am going to date myself, but we played a playoff game in the snow at Dacotah field in lots of snow. I was little guy, and I loved how everyone in the stands wore camo and blaze orange. The linemen were tough because they did not wear coats or sleeves. I wanted to be like them. I am going to say this was in the early 90s.
Also, I was brought up... Sioux Suck and they still do :hide:

Most memborable game in the Dome was Steve Walker vs Sam Houston. We went 80 yards in like 23 seconds to win.