PDA

View Full Version : Senate Bill 2297 - Bonding bill - Dunbar Hall

roadwarrior
02-22-2019, 05:34 PM
The ND Senate recently passed SB2297 which provides for bonding to construct a replacement for Dunbar Hall for $51,200,00. Also included is $54,000,000 for an agricultural products development center and $10,000,000 for the Northern Crops Institute.

NDSU must raise an additional 6 million in external funds for the development center and 8 million for the NCI project.

The only other projects were one for VCSU and one for DSU.

The bill passed the senate 46-0.

imabison
02-22-2019, 06:34 PM
The ND Senate recently passed SB2297 which provides for bonding to construct a replacement for Dunbar Hall for $51,200,00. Also included is $54,000,000 for an agricultural products development center and $10,000,000 for the Northern Crops Institute.

NDSU must raise an additional 6 million in external funds for the development center and 8 million for the NCI project.

The only other projects were one for VCSU and one for DSU.

The bill passed the senate 46-0.

Are the IPF and Softball projects on different bills???

roadwarrior
02-22-2019, 08:17 PM
Are the IPF and Softball projects on different bills???

Good question. Pretty sure softball already approved. Bonding wouldn't apply to the IPF.

EC8CH
02-22-2019, 08:33 PM
Bonding wouldn't apply to the IPF.

Is that because the IPF is planned to have all funding available up front?

imabison
02-23-2019, 12:14 AM
Is that because the IPF is planned to have all funding available up front?

Well they have to have state approval before they can start officially fundraising. It passed committee and would suspect
it should come up before long before the governing bodies.

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-05-2019, 07:54 PM
https://www.inforum.com/news/government-and-politics/1000152-GOP-leader-in-North-Dakota-House-proposes-less-funding-for-key-NDSU-capital-projects

StL Bison Fan
04-05-2019, 08:10 PM
https://www.inforum.com/news/government-and-politics/1000152-GOP-leader-in-North-Dakota-House-proposes-less-funding-for-key-NDSU-capital-projects

Well of course.
We don’t need agricultural research. That should be for agricultural states
Build a smaller building so we can add on to it as soon as it’s finished.
These people have no respect for education and it’s impact on our state

roadwarrior
04-24-2019, 04:52 AM
The house passed their version of the bill which removed the agricultural research project.

Since the house and senate bills didn't contain the same language, a conference committee was formed to work out a compromise.

Replacing the Northern Crops Institute was removed completely from the original bill. Language was added to instruct NDSU to come with a detailed plan and I guess return in 2021 and ask for the money.

Both the house and senate approved the sale of 51,200,000 of bonds to replace Dunbar Hall. The compromise bill appropriates 8,000,000 from the current biennium general fund, bonds for 40,000,000 and allows NDSU to utilize other funds in the amount of 3,200,000. Looks like this project will happen.

The senate approved 60,000,000 for the ag project. The house approved zero. The compromise appropriates 20,000,000 from the current biennium general fund, bonds for 20,000,000 but requires NDSU to find another 20,000,000 in additional funds or scale back the project.

The senate passed the compromise bill today. The house hasn't voted on it yet.

roadwarrior
04-27-2019, 06:44 PM
The House approved the compromise last night.

NDSU got $48 million to replace Dunbar Hall. $51.2 million was requested

NDSU got $40 million for the Ag Products Development Center (to replace Harris Hall). $60 million was requested

Hammersmith
09-06-2019, 12:40 AM
I would be a little bit sad if they decide to tear down Geoscience Hall to make the Dunbar replacement cheaper. It's not a great building, but it's one of the few old NDSU buildings that has at least some character in its design. Granted, it's a distant 9th out of 9 good old buildings.*

*Tier 1 buildings: Minard, Morril, S Engineering, Ceres, Putnam, Old Main
Tier 2: Churchill, Bentsen Bunker
Tier 3: Geosciences

EC8CH
09-06-2019, 01:39 AM
I would be a little bit sad if they decide to tear down Geoscience Hall to make the Dunbar replacement cheaper. It's not a great building, but it's one of the few old NDSU buildings that has at least some character in its design. Granted, it's a distant 9th out of 9 good old buildings.*

*Tier 1 buildings: Minard, Morril, S Engineering, Ceres, Putnam, Old Main
Tier 2: Churchill, Bentsen Bunker
Tier 3: Geosciences

Architectural perfection:

https://www.ndsu.edu/alphaindex/uploadstore/Building::203

Such sleek modern lines.

No_Skill
09-06-2019, 01:45 AM
Spent a lot of time in that beauty.

Hammersmith
09-06-2019, 01:51 AM

Such sleek modern lines.

That was purple, right?

EC8CH
09-06-2019, 01:57 AM
That was purple, right?

Maybe some people who know stoichiometry see beauty in architecture differently than most?

Civil06
09-06-2019, 02:26 AM

Such sleek modern lines.

Lotta truth here. I love that the entire engineering complex tells the architecture program we'll do just fine without you. At least I'm assuming an architect wasn't involved.

Hammersmith
09-06-2019, 02:40 AM
Maybe some people who know stoichiometry see beauty in architecture differently than most?

I know stoichiometry, like it, and have taught it. Still don't like any of the NDSU buildings constructed during that era. I'll take the Engineering Center that's just out of frame before any of those(and I don't really like the EC). You can have sleek, modern lines and still make a building interesting. The buildings from that era of NDSU are just blah boxes. The music building is a little better(very little). Loftsgard was an attempt to do the same, but I think they failed. IIAC/Burdick is a dog's breakfast. But I also think they ruined Minard with the addition and that the new STEM building was also a mistake, so there's that.

I also dislike UND's campus. Using collegiate gothic in the middle of the upper plains is just stupid and fake. Trying to use architecture to fake something they're not and never will be: Ivy League.

I would love it if NDSU would try and create a Prairie/Modern hybrid to create a new unified architectural vision. Prairie-style was created in and for the upper plains(came out of Chicago and Wisconsin). And I don't know if any other campuses in the world use it as their dominant motif.* Would be something to make NDSU unique like the red-tiled roofs of USC, the grey limestone of IU Bloomington, or the Mission motif of the University of San Diego.

I'll quit now.

*Looks like Florida Southern College uses something on the Prairie/Modern spectrum, but much further to the modern side than I think NDSU should use.

mebisonII
09-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Such sleek modern lines.

I've been talking about that building to a few different fellow grads lately. At the time I spent many hours there, I didn't think much about it. But having gone on for grad degrees at other schools and also visiting lots of other schools, I'm kind of surprised the NDSU engineering school can recruit any students or faculty.

Tony Almeida
09-17-2019, 09:57 PM
I've been talking about that building to a few different fellow grads lately. At the time I spent many hours there, I didn't think much about it. But having gone on for grad degrees at other schools and also visiting lots of other schools, I'm kind of surprised the NDSU engineering school can recruit any students or faculty.At work today, we had a conversation about certain department buildings at NDSU. The convo started because a coworker was spouting off about how SDSU has a nicer campus than NDSU and that is why his daughter goes there and his other daughter is going to join her next year. He said the buildings are newer and nicer than NDSU's. Whatever, I told him, I have never seen the campus just the football field.
Another coworker, from St Cloud, said he almost passed up on attending NDSU after seeing UMD's engineering buildings because he was very impressed with the architectural designs. He then went on to say UND has a beautiful campus as well (this is where I threw up in my mouth) and he almost went there had it not been for his friends attending NDSU.

This isn't the first time I've heard people get turned off by how unappealing NDSU is aesthetically.
When I came to NDSU, I was shocked at seeing the buildings of certain departments. I wondered how does an "engineering" and an "architectural" school have the most unappealing buildings?
Is state funding to blame?

I just thought I would comment because I saw this thread and it was good timing.

gotts
09-18-2019, 02:12 PM

Such sleek modern lines.

It's fitting it looks like it could be a prison facility given what the Mechanical Engineering classes I took there felt like.

BadlandsBison
09-18-2019, 07:48 PM
It's fitting it looks like it could be a prison facility given what the Mechanical Engineering classes I took there felt like.

I think Nazari would make a good prison warden.

EC8CH
09-18-2019, 11:57 PM
I think Nazari would make a good prison warden.

Prof ManIwannaFailYa could be the prison guard muscle. Goplen would be the grizzled old inmate with all the insiders knowledge like Red in Shawshank.

GreenfieldBison
09-19-2019, 12:31 AM
Prof ManIwannaFailYa could be the prison guard muscle. Goplen would be the grizzled old inmate with all the insiders knowledge like Red in Shawshank.

I don’t think I had ManIwannaFailYa. What discipline was he/she? Or what decade(s)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EC8CH
09-19-2019, 12:50 AM
I don’t think I had ManIwannaFailYa. What discipline was he/she? Or what decade(s)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Late 90's early 2000's. Mechanics of Material and I think he taught Dynamics too. Real name is spelled Mahinfalah.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/msoe/files/modules/portraitclassic_xsml_mahinfalah-mohammed.jpg

Civil06
09-19-2019, 01:25 AM
Late 90's early 2000's. Mechanics of Material and I think he taught Dynamics too. Real name is spelled Mahinfalah.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/msoe/files/modules/portraitclassic_xsml_mahinfalah-mohammed.jpg

Also taught statics in the summer.

GreenfieldBison
09-19-2019, 02:59 AM

Ah I was long gone by then and nowhere near smart enough to approach such subject matter.

roadwarrior
04-29-2020, 03:27 PM
NDSU plans on naming the new building as Sugihara Hall. Dr. James Sugihara held a number administrative positions at NDSU from 1964 until 1989. Construction of the building, which will replace Dunbar Hall, is scheduled to start this summer.

Hammersmith
05-06-2020, 10:07 PM
I'm a little sad to see the Geosciences building come down to help make way for the new building. It's not like it was a great building or anything, but it had a little more character than most other buildings on campus(or would have if it had been restored with better windows and some other details).

Also, no cow has been found so far(though they think there wouldn't be anything left after almost 90 years anyway - even bones).

https://www.inforum.com/news/education/6479151-Building-demolition-stirs-up-legend-of-cow-rumored-to-be-buried-at-NDSU