PDA

View Full Version : This Bison team!

Ndsu84
12-26-2018, 01:38 AM
I hardly missed a game from ‘81 to ‘86. The Bison were fantastic athletes. Charlie Stock, Jeff Bentrim, James Molstre, Chad Stark just to name a few.

This years team is just plain awesome.

The offense has so many threats with Easton leading the way, I don’t see how they could be much better. Maybe add a Stacey Robinson?

The defense shows great discipline sticking to their assignments. They play so hard they make other teams wish they had played basketball. Who from Bison folklore would help this defense? Phil? Joe Mays or Tyrone Braxton?

Are the 2018 Bison the greatest in Bison history or 1 of several?

Vet70
12-26-2018, 01:44 AM
I hardly missed a game from ‘81 to ‘86. The Bison were fantastic athletes. Charlie Stock, Jeff Bentrim, James Molstre, Chad Stark just to name a few.

The offense has so many threats with Easton leading the way, I don’t see how they could be much better. Maybe add a Stacey Robinson?

The defense shows great discipline sticking to their assignments. They play so hard they make other teams wish they had played basketball. Who from Bison folklore would help this defense? Phil? Joe Mays or Tyrone Braxton?

I'll let you know after the next game.

56BISON73
12-26-2018, 01:59 AM

All the Bison teams have been great. Some just had more success than others

Ndsu84
12-26-2018, 02:05 AM
All the Bison teams have been great. Some just had more success than others

Yes true.

But we have so many guys having success at the next level, I’m really starting to drink the koolaid.

56BISON73
12-26-2018, 02:22 AM
Yes true.

But we have so many guys having success at the next level, I’m really starting to drink the koolaid.

Nothing the matter with that. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

El_Chapo
12-26-2018, 02:26 AM
2013 Called..... Their 10+ NFL players wants a word with you.

Bar none, best NDSU team ever not even a comparison.

FCS is pud weak in 2018, NDSU schedule was insanely mundane.

Sorry. Case closed.

CAS4127
12-26-2018, 02:30 AM

2018-19, 2013, 1986, and go from there. I feel the current team is the best, but they need to win the Natty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdBot
12-26-2018, 02:29 PM
The current team has to win the Championship to be worthy of the discussion, but if they do, they will be up there with 2013 and 1986. The current team has felt like they were ahead the entire season and has only been challenged a couple of times. But what could set them apart is the offense.

THEsocalledfan
12-26-2018, 02:30 PM
2018-19, 2013, 1986, and go from there. I feel the current team is the best, but they need to win the Natty.

Hear the LB group in '86 was a bit soft. :)

Ndsu84
12-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Heart the LB group in '86 was a bit soft. :)

Who all was in that group? Was Jim Dick middle or am I mixing years?

CaBisonFan
12-26-2018, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daaZvP9ZcLY
Who all was in that group? Was Jim Dick middle or am I mixing years?

Twincitybizon
12-26-2018, 02:57 PM
2013 just executed at a really high level. I think talent wise 2013 wasn't that much better than everyone was but just didn't make mistakes. 2018 is better than everyone by a good night imo

Ndsu84
12-26-2018, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the video, I didn’t realize how much I’d forgotten!

THEsocalledfan
12-26-2018, 04:00 PM
2013 just executed at a really high level. I think talent wise 2013 wasn't that much better than everyone was but just didn't make mistakes. 2018 is better than everyone by a good night imo

Not so sure about that. Remember how many NFL guys who were on the '13 team. Not to mention, they did not "get lucky" when they flat out beat K St. Now, we may have that level of talent on this team too, but '13 was so good our backup QB was Carson Wentz.....

Ndsu84
12-26-2018, 04:00 PM
The leadership on this years team is so damn impressive.

Easton Stick is so gifted in every way. How in the hell does a guy perform like that while succeeding in the classroom at the same time? Incredible self discipline. I would have messed it up partying or.......

2011BisonAlumni
12-26-2018, 04:01 PM

Outscored their opponents 38.7 to 11.2 per game for the year.

Outscored their opponents 41.7 to 11.8 per game through 14 games.

Statistically, 2018 probably gets the edge, although 2013 had a tougher road having the K State game on their resume. I’d also say the 2013 team never had a YSU performance on their resume. 2018 has to win the National Championship to even be in conversation, but I guess I’d break it down like this.

Quarterbacks
-Advantage 2013 team, overall, however I’m taking Stick if both teams played one game. Stick might win the Payton, but it is easy to forget how good Jensen was in 2013. 2013 team also has Wentz sitting on the bench.

Running Backs
-Advantage 2013 team. No offense to this group of horses, but Ojuri/Crockett was filthy

Wide Receivers
-Advantage 2013 team. Vraa had the greatest season by a receiver in NDSU history and Ryan Smith did everything Shepherd can do

Offensive Line
-Advantage 2013 team. NFL players at both tackles

Tight Ends
-Tough call but I probably would go with 2018. Ben Ellefson is a stud.

Defensive Line
-Man really tough call. 2013 was really good along the starting front, but I don’t think they had the depth 2018 has or the versatility. Probably taking 2018 in a game just due to the depth.

Linebackers
-2013 clear advantage. Coz IMO is better than anyone on the 2013 team, but 2013 has Beck.

Safeties
-Man another tough call. Grimsley and Henricks are really good, and Heagle and Dudzik are legends. I’m probably going to go with 2018. Robbie is a two time All American and James Hendricks is so versatile.

Cornerbacks
-2013 clearly with CJ Smith and Marcus Williams.

Special Teams
-2013. Adam Keller is the best field goal kicker in school history and Ben single handily won games for us. Also had better return game with Ryan Smith and Dudzik.

Coaching Staff
-Might be where the game is decided. 2018 by a landslide with Mess being the X factor.

Overall....man I don’t know. All in all, I’m probably going with 2013.

Ndsu84
12-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Great analysis!

I agree with everything except the quarterback.

Brock was clutch, but Easton is even better. His durability is so good he could turn out to be “better” than Wentz, no matter how much top end Carson has. Carson can’t win from the bench.

Vet70
12-26-2018, 04:11 PM
I am totally confused. Several people mention that the 2018 team has to win the Championship to be in the conversation then they put them in the conversation. :rofl:

2011BisonAlumni
12-26-2018, 04:50 PM
Great analysis!

I agree with everything except the quarterback.

Brock was clutch, but Easton is even better. His durability is so good he could turn out to be “better” than Wentz, no matter how much top end Carson has. Carson can’t win from the bench.

Brock Jensen 2013 Stats
2,793 Passing Yards, 34 TD’s 7 INT’s, 66.3% completion percentage 218 completions on 329 attempts
479 Rushing Yards on 99 carries and 10 Rushing TD’s
Overall 7.64 yards and 0.10 TD’s per offensive attempt

Easton Stick 2018 Stats (through 14 games)
2,554 Passing Yards, 26 TD’s 5 INT’s, 61.8% completion percentage 162 completions on 262 attempts
556 Rushing Yards on 99 carries and 14 Rushing TD’s
Overall 8.61 yards and 0.11 TD’s per offensive attempt

Stick has had a great year, but from a pure statistical perspective, Jensen’s 2013 campaign was right up there. Jensen benefited from a better weapons surrounding him, but Stick also benefited from better coordinator. Stick has been more efficient than Jensen but at this point, Jensen’s 2013 campaign is still arguably the best QB season we have seen from a Bison.

I honestly think it is a toss up between the two, but from a TEAM perspective, I’d take the 2013 TEAM due to the depth factor.

2011BisonAlumni
12-26-2018, 05:27 PM

If we were talking one game and one game only, I would take the 2015 National Championship game Bison over anyone. I don’t think there is a team in the history of the FCS that would have been capable of beating THAT specific team.

MAKBison
12-26-2018, 05:51 PM
Brock Jensen 2013 Stats
2,793 Passing Yards, 34 TD’s 7 INT’s, 66.3% completion percentage 218 completions on 329 attempts
479 Rushing Yards on 99 carries and 10 Rushing TD’s
Overall 7.64 yards and 0.10 TD’s per offensive attempt

Easton Stick 2018 Stats (through 14 games)
2,554 Passing Yards, 26 TD’s 5 INT’s, 61.8% completion percentage 162 completions on 262 attempts
556 Rushing Yards on 99 carries and 14 Rushing TD’s
Overall 8.61 yards and 0.11 TD’s per offensive attempt

Stick has had a great year, but from a purely statistical perspective, Jensen’s 2013 campaign was right up there. Jensen benefited from better weapons surrounding him, but Stick also benefited from the better coordinator. Stick has been more efficient than Jensen but at this point, Jensen’s 2013 campaign is still arguably the best QB season we have seen from a Bison.

I honestly think it is a toss-up between the two, but from a TEAM perspective, I’d take the 2013 TEAM due to the depth factor.

You are not taking into account avg yards per pass. I bet ES is much greater. Being that ES has a more complete passing game it makes him more complete dangerous asset.

Btw, I am guessing ES has a better yard per pass average. I never looked it up. I just don't recall J chucking more than 5 to 7 yards too often. ES makes you play the entire field cuz of his long ball ability.

Not a hit on Brock at all (the family knows him a bit outside of FB) he is a great guy and was a greatcQB.....winner!

2011BisonAlumni
12-26-2018, 05:54 PM
You are not taking into account avg yards per pass. I bet ES is much greater. Being that ES has a more complete passing game it makes him more complete dangerous asset.

Btw, I am guessing ES has a better yards per pass average. I never looked it up

He does....overall averages one more yard per total offensive attempt

MAKBison
12-26-2018, 05:58 PM
I thought it ES would be greater....wow! My bad, did not read far enough down.....sitten here sweating my balls off trying to type while my arms are screaming. Good work out tho :)

What would happen if u flipped the receivers

dewey
12-26-2018, 06:04 PM

Statistically, 2018 probably gets the edge, although 2013 had a tougher road having the K State game on their resume. I’d also say the 2013 team never had a YSU performance on their resume. 2018 has to win the National Championship to even be in conversation, but I guess I’d break it down like this.

Quarterbacks
-Advantage 2013 team, overall, however I’m taking Stick if both teams played one game. Stick might win the Payton, but it is easy to forget how good Jensen was in 2013. 2013 team also has Wentz sitting on the bench.

Running Backs
-Advantage 2013 team. No offense to this group of horses, but Ojuri/Crockett was filthy

Wide Receivers
-Advantage 2013 team. Vraa had the greatest season by a receiver in NDSU history and Ryan Smith did everything Shepherd can do

Offensive Line

Tight Ends

Defensive Line
-Man really tough call. 2013 was really good along the starting front, but I don’t think they had the depth 2018 has or the versatility. Probably taking 2018 in a game just due to the depth.

Linebackers
-2013 clear advantage. Coz IMO is better than anyone on the 2013 team, but 2013 has Beck.

Safeties
-Man another tough call. Grimsley and Henricks are really good, and Heagle and Dudzik are legends. I’m probably going to go with 2018. Robbie is a two time All American and James Hendricks is so versatile.

Cornerbacks

Special Teams
-2013. Adam Keller is the best field goal kicker in school history and Ben single handily won games for us. Also had better return game with Ryan Smith and Dudzik.

Coaching Staff
-Might be where the game is decided. 2018 by a landslide with Mess being the X factor.

Good analysis. I will point out that NDSU was trailing UNI 23-10 to start the 4th quarter in 2013 and came back to win 24-23. IIRC UNI barely made the playoffs or missed the playoffs. Either way they were the typical "meh" but played great against NDSU. The 2013 team had a better team in FBS but also had a D2 team in Ferris State while this years team played SDSU twice.

I would take Stick over Jensen...though you couldn't go wrong with either. Like choosing which one of the kids is the favorite.

Dewey

MAKBison
12-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Good analysis. I will point out that NDSU was trailing UNI 23-10 to start the 4th quarter in 2013 and came back to win 24-23. IIRC UNI barely made the playoffs or missed the playoffs. Either way they were the typical "meh" but played great against NDSU. The 2013 team had a better team in FBS but also had a D2 team in Ferris State while this years team played SDSU twice.

I have heard it said, 2013 more individual talent 2018 better team. Idk

I really hate comparing teams I am not sure u can do it.

Ndsu84
12-26-2018, 07:22 PM
What about individual players from years back?

How would players fit in to this years team? Are they bigger, stronger, faster today? Or were the weight room numbers just as impressive back then?

I’m not trying to criticize any player or team. Just very intrigued about how the bison have evolved. Or were they so good back then, they’ve just done well to carry on?

56BISON73
12-26-2018, 07:47 PM

How would players fit in to this years team? Are they bigger, stronger, faster today? Or were the weight room numbers just as impressive back then?

I’m not trying to criticize any player or team. Just very intrigued about how the bison have evolved. Or were they so good back then, they’ve just done well to carry on?

Steve Nelson, Jerry Dahl would have fit in the DE and LB. Keith Kreisbach CB return man. Rich Henry FB Kevin Gavery OLB. Just thinking what could have been if we would of had strength and conditioning coaches. We has a tiny room with one universal weight machine. Very few free weights. most were dumbells. If you wanted to do any real power of olympic lifting you had to go to the YMCA. Of course you needed a membership which nobody could really afford.

Vet70
12-26-2018, 09:23 PM
This thread is bad juju. If we lose it's going to be Ndsu84's fault. MankatoBison already cost us CK.

2011BisonAlumni
12-26-2018, 10:10 PM

Not sure about individual players, but 1986 shouldn’t be in discussion. I frankly don’t think they hang with any of these recent Bison teams.

More intriguing thought would be 2007. Tons of NFL talent and they beat two FBS teams that year.

reformedUNDfan
12-26-2018, 10:11 PM

Quarterbacks

Running Backs

Wide Receivers

Offensive Line

Tight Ends

Defensive Line

Linebackers

Safeties

Cornerbacks

Special Teams

Coaching Staff

this years RB's are better than 2013, not really sure how you could argue otherwise. Deeper, and as or more talented.

On the other hand the best safety of the dynasty was Christian Dudzik. Fastest of the bunch by quite a bit and maybe the best tackler. If he could catch he would've been an all american for sure. With Shepard and Heagle 2013 was the better unit.

as far as the line goes, I like 2018 better. Wouldn't be surprised to see several players play pro

89MTBISON
12-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Not sure about individual players, but 1986 shouldn’t be in discussion. I frankly don’t think they hang with any of these recent Bison teams.

More intriguing thought would be 2007. Tons of NFL talent and they beat two FBS teams that year.

I believe Beano Cook had that 1986 team in his top ten that year for all of college football.

BisonNeil
12-26-2018, 10:20 PM
If we were talking one game and one game only, I would take the 2015 National Championship game Bison over anyone. I don’t think there is a team in the history of the FCS that would have been capable of beating THAT specific team.

Hilarious! Should have been in Viking purple though. I love the classic lines losing coaches deliver after the game to justify the loss to the Bison. “We didn’t play well for whatever reason.” The Bison were the reason you fucking moron!

Christopher Moen
12-26-2018, 10:26 PM

You have to remember (or understand) that back then, DII was closer to DI-AA/FCS caliber football than it is today. You mention NFL talent about the 2007 team, but disregard the amount that was on the Bison 80’s teams.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

bruinbison
12-26-2018, 10:27 PM

Googled 1986 just to see what I would get,
and this was a great quote:

https://gobison.com/sports/1986/12/13/865301013.aspx?id=2126

-North Dakota State captured its third national NCAA Division II football title in the last four years on a cool December day at Braly Stadium with a sound 27-7 win over North Central Conference rival South Dakota.

"I wish to hell they would get out of Division II," said South Dakota head coach Dave Triplett following the game. "They can go wherever they want."

Oh......Tyrone Braxton and Doug Lloyd were in the box score for a couple individual players who could play today,
not sure what you would do with Bentrim......in Fargo that is, he would look great at Kennesaw State.

Tony Almeida
12-26-2018, 10:28 PM
this years RB's are better than 2013, not really sure how you could argue otherwise. Deeper, and as or more talented.

On the other hand the best safety of the dynasty was Christian Dudzik. Fastest of the bunch by quite a bit and maybe the best tackler. If he could catch he would've been an all american for sure. With Shepard and Heagle 2013 was the better unit.

as far as the line goes, I like 2018 better. Wouldn't be surprised to see several players play proAgree on this 1000%

bruinbison
12-26-2018, 10:34 PM
Agree on this 1000%

I’ll put an asterisk to this thought - I think the 2018 RB’s are more injury prone than 2013......
Ojuri and Crockett - wow!

Christopher Moen
12-26-2018, 10:37 PM
Googled 1986 just to see what I would get,
and this was a great quote:

https://gobison.com/sports/1986/12/13/865301013.aspx?id=2126

Oh......Tyrone Braxton and Doug Lloyd were in the box score for a couple individual players who could play today,
not sure what you would do with Bentrim......in Fargo that is, he would look great at Kennesaw State.

Jim Dick, Scott Schutt and Chad Stark also made it to the NFL according to this link: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/nodakotast/

With Braxton and Lloyd, that makes five Bison who made it to the NFL from that team (1986). Not sure if Phil Hansen was a redshirt Freshman that year, but he was part of that era.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

Bisonator98
12-26-2018, 10:49 PM
Hard to say which team is better from different years but the 2013 team is the best I've ever seen at this level. I think this year's team would give them a hell of a game if not beat that team.

Vet70
12-26-2018, 10:59 PM
IMO at this point, if the Bison don't win the Natty the season is a bust.

Twincitybizon
12-26-2018, 11:27 PM
IMO at this point, if the Bison don't win the Natty the season is a bust.

It would be a big disappointment, but not a bust. The teams games and environment for sdsu kept the reception class together and going forward this class looks to be the best ever. Which is crazy during a coaching transition

BisonNeil
12-26-2018, 11:34 PM
kept the reception class together and going forward this class looks to be the best ever. Which is crazy during a coaching transition

You say this based on what? I always question these kind of statements given that none of them have played a down of college football. You probably say based on the paper it is the greatest recruiting class but given how many seniors there are on the current team and the 2013 team, I mean seriously?

Vet70
12-26-2018, 11:50 PM
It would be a big disappointment, but not a bust. The teams games and environment for sdsu kept the reception class together and going forward this class looks to be the best ever. Which is crazy during a coaching transition

If they don't win their legacy will be "One of the best Bison teams ever, but...". I won't jump off the ledge, but that is more than a disappointment to me. Next year is a big unknown and there are some positions with unproven players.

Twincitybizon
12-27-2018, 12:52 AM
You say this based on what? I always question these kind of statements given that none of them have played a down of college football. You probably say based on the paper it is the greatest recruiting class but given how many seniors there are on the current team and the 2013 team, I mean seriously?

Yeah I get they haven't gotten here yet. Thanks captain obvious. Turn on the tape, great athletes at lb,DB,dt, ot. Haven't been able to get that many guys like that before except when u of m's head was up their ass. In this case especially just not losing half these guys is huge to keeping the dominance going. Let's say we lost half the lbs the DT and an it to k state. Now only 1 lb pans out and we fall apart on d. Really thin POS group depth wise and we got 4 really good changes to make good. Yes it is that good of a class.

Vet70
12-27-2018, 01:38 AM
Yeah I get they haven't gotten here yet. Thanks captain obvious. Turn on the tape, great athletes at lb,DB,dt, ot. Haven't been able to get that many guys like that before except when u of m's head was up their ass. In this case especially just not losing half these guys is huge to keeping the dominance going. Let's say we lost half the lbs the DT and an it to k state. Now only 1 lb pans out and we fall apart on d. Really thin POS group depth wise and we got 4 really good changes to make good. Yes it is that good of a class.

No one has any idea what the chemistry among these players is going to be, especially with 24 Seniors and a large number of starters leaving. Add in a new OC, DC and other position Coaches and again no one knows for sure what is going to happen in the next couple of years. We were lucky with all of those changes once. Maybe that too is obvious, but we have learned from 2016 that there are no guarantees and nothing can be taken for granted.

Ndsu84
12-27-2018, 02:01 AM
Holy shit Vet70 you’re a downer. We gotta vote your ass off the island! :)

bruinbison
12-27-2018, 02:49 AM

Perhaps he would like to swap recruiting classes with that school up north,
if it doesn’t make any difference who you sign :).

Highest ranked recruiting class is a different topic than greatest Bison team ever......

In this 2019 recruiting class, North Dakota State will sign five recruits in linebacker Luke Weerts, quarterback Jaren Lewis, offensive tackle Hunter Poncius, and defensive lineman Reed Ryan and Will Mostaert that rank in the top-10 all-time for Bison signees.

That's a big deal.

Now, are stars and recruiting rankings the end all be all? Absolutely not, but they provide a good indication of how a team is recruiting, and to have five signees in this 2019 jump inside the top-10 all time NDSU signees? That's a good trend to be on.

https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/LongFormArticle/North-Dakota-State-football-recruiting-Get-ready-for-the-2018-Bison-National-Signing-Day-126525944/#126525944_1

Losing QB Jaren Lewis hurts, and would slightly lower the class ranking, but if I had to pick 1 of the top 5 to lose right before signing day, Lewis would be the one. Trey Lance & Holden Hotchkiss & the new guy leave 3 competitors......

Vet70
12-27-2018, 02:50 AM
Holy shit Vet70 you’re a downer. We gotta vote your ass off the island! :)

Reality Bites. By the way, we are all going to die sooner or later. :D

thundarsdaddy
12-27-2018, 05:02 AM

Sorry. Case closed.

Yeah right!! 28 NFL players from the Missouri Valley alone!

https://valley-football.org/news/2018/9/2/football-28-from-valley-schools-on-nfl-rosters.aspx?path=football

bison_by_blood
12-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Reality Bites. By the way, we are all going to die sooner or later. :D

We will all die and Bison football will live on long after us.

Vet70
12-27-2018, 01:16 PM

Sorry. Case closed.

10+ players from 2013 in the NFL, 2018-- 0. I agree case closed.

(P.S.---I doubt it is "10+", but I'll roll with that number just for fun).

mtoutfitter
12-27-2018, 03:33 PM
10+ players from 2013 in the NFL, 2018-- 0. I agree case closed.

(P.S.---I doubt it is "10+", but I'll roll with that number just for fun).

You're right. Looked up the roster...it's 8.

BisonNeil
12-27-2018, 05:06 PM
Perhaps he would like to swap recruiting classes with that school up north,
if it doesn’t make any difference who you sign :).

Highest ranked recruiting class is a different topic than greatest Bison team ever......

https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/LongFormArticle/North-Dakota-State-football-recruiting-Get-ready-for-the-2018-Bison-National-Signing-Day-126525944/#126525944_1

Losing QB Jaren Lewis hurts, and would slightly lower the class ranking, but if I had to pick 1 of the top 5 to lose right before signing day, Lewis would be the one. Trey Lance & Holden Hotchkiss & the new guy leave 3 competitors......

I didn’t say it wasn’t good or that I would trade with any school, but stating it was the best ever is just blowhard shit. It will take a few years to know just how good it is. Best ever class? We’ll see, that’s all I’m saying.

EC8CH
12-27-2018, 05:31 PM
I didn’t say it wasn’t good or that I would trade with any school, but stating it was the best ever is just blowhard shit. It will take a few years to know just how good it is. Best ever class? We’ll see, that’s all I’m saying.

Pulling in more highly recruited players into the same system seems like a good thing. Things could go south for a number of reasons, but it great to see the profile on NDSU's recruiting classes continue to increase year by year.