PDA

View Full Version : 12/17: At Montana 8:05 PM

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 12:49 AM
The team has looked better at home against EWU and Missouri State, now comes a big road test at Montana. The Griz are 5-3 with DI wins over Georgia State, Miami(Oh) and Incarnate Word.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 12:55 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuqeBGqWwAADfAn.png

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 01:11 AM
Game is on Pluto Tv....Both teams come out of the gate struggling offensively. Richman really trying to slow down the tempo.

grizlandbisonfan
12-18-2018, 01:21 AM
I’m not sure we are a better team with Ward on the floor right now. His turnover rate is astonishing this season as he seems to allow his athleticism get him into bad positions.

devin45k
12-18-2018, 01:24 AM
Looked like a decent crowd for a weekday game

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 01:26 AM
7-6 Montana with 9:49 to play

It is a classic rock fight

devin45k
12-18-2018, 01:30 AM
7-6 Montana with 9:49 to play

It is a classic rock fight

Both teams struggling to score points

slips
12-18-2018, 01:32 AM
I’m not sure we are a better team with Ward on the floor right now. His turnover rate is astonishing this season as he seems to allow his athleticism get him into bad positions.

Ward has always made mind boggling turnovers. Hoping he would mature out of it but it appears he is not capable of such feats.

Timp
12-18-2018, 01:47 AM
Bison look ok so far.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 01:49 AM
Bison up 23-19 at the half

slips
12-18-2018, 01:49 AM
Bison seem to be out thinking themselves. Passing on wide open shots which is leading to much worse shots or turnovers. Thank goodness Montana is playing like crap as well.

HoopsBison
12-18-2018, 01:50 AM
23-19 at half. Bison playing great defense. Offense has been brutal but being up 4 with Vinnie in foul trouble for most the half is def a win for this Bison squad.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 01:52 AM
Bison seem to be out thinking themselves. Passing on wide open shots which is leading to much worse shots or turnovers. Thank goodness Montana is playing like crap as well.

Agreed, Quayle had a Montana defender in the air, all he had to do was shoot and he had free throws but instead he fell down. Bison are lucky this is a rock fight, I still don't really get the rotations Richman has but it is what it is.

Elephants Dream?
12-18-2018, 01:53 AM
I'm enjoying watching some video as it's been a few years since I was there.
Nice crowd for a non-conference game during the week.
Both teams struggling to score points.

imabison
12-18-2018, 01:53 AM
watching on pluto tv channel 237
Tuned and what the heck kids, oh its halftime
NDSU 23 UM 19
Looks like 10 minutes left before 2nd half.

slips
12-18-2018, 02:16 AM
This offense is pitiful...we are just back to dribbling and passing the ball around the circle and hoisting up garbage at the end of the shot clock. I wonder if Richman coaches this crap or the kids just do it?

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 02:21 AM
Griz heating up...Bison struggling to put together any kind of response.

imabison
12-18-2018, 02:26 AM
Griz heating up...Bison struggling to put together any kind of response.

Can you say turnover turnover turnover

KilldeerBison
12-18-2018, 02:32 AM

Equals 22 to 5 run by the Griz.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 02:33 AM

It has been an absolutely brutal half of offensive basketball.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 02:56 AM
Bison fall 60-53

Early second half offensive drought was too big of a hole to dig out of.

Timp
12-18-2018, 02:59 AM
It has been an absolutely brutal half of offensive basketball.

Laid another egg. Looked better than the start of the season.

Tony Almeida
It is so frustrating to watch this team play. Every game they go through scoring droughts of 4-7 minutes long with tons of turnovers. What does Richman do in practice?

Professor Chaos
Some good and some bad tonight. Played well defensively and held their own on the boards. Too many turnovers and 3 of the 5 starters put up a goose egg in the points department.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 03:07 AM
Gue should start and Ward should start in my opinion. Ward has issues but there is not point in sitting him if the answer is to play Quayle in his place.

El_Chapo
12-18-2018, 03:24 AM
Fought hard to get back to 3-4 points... then Tyson tried to play hero ball 2 times, then got a bad foul and Geu can't rebound down low. leads to 6 points the other way and voila that's the Game.

Guess What. Again.... NOT 1 SET PLAY BY DAVE IN THE LAST 3 minutes. thats my beef.

4-8 thru non conference.

2 upcoming NAIA games that SHOULD NOT COUNT in standings.

16 Conference games... if they finish 6-10 I will unfortunately be happy.. .then 1 and done as #7 seed vs USD.

10-19 Record is pathetic is a league like the summit.

tony
12-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Starting lineup scored 16 points.

Kujava23
12-18-2018, 01:08 PM
Starting lineup scored 16 points.

LOOSELY TERM----"Starting Lineup" because no other coach would start those five with this roster!!!

a 3 pt shooter who is a bench player

and a practice player

Hope Deng Geu talked to Dex other night in SHAC about doesn't matter what you do for production--if Davey doesn't start you early he won't later

Bisonator98
12-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Haven't been following the team for weeks, what's the story on Griesel, injured?

The fact that Dave is starting Samuelson and Quayle prove he does not deserve this job any longer. He should be fired immediately if not sooner.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Quayle played 24 minutes, was 0-4 and had 4 turnovers...I'm sure he helped out with culture or some BS though.

Mr Meaty
12-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Haven't been following the team for weeks, what's the story on Griesel, injured?

The fact that Dave is starting Samuelson and Quayle prove he does not deserve this job any longer. He should be fired immediately if not sooner.

Post game interview Dave mention should have word on Griesel return soon as well as Hunter. Jordan M (Dickinson kid) lost is father to cancer the other day. Jordan was able to be home with his family. Thoughts and prayers go out to Jordan and his family. His father has been in the battle for 3 years. He is in a better place now. RIP.

bisonfan08
12-18-2018, 02:05 PM

Yes Griesel hurt his knee, sounds like he's expected back for the start of conference play, so fairly soon.

On a side note I didn't get a chance to watch the game as I was coaching practice for my daughter's 5th grade team and once again it sounds like the offense being run at my practice was more effective than the NDSU game....my coaching services are still available :smh:

RedRiver
12-18-2018, 02:29 PM

What a stupid statement. A couple of players injured and the early nonconference schedule are cause for using different lineups and rotations before getting to conference play. Maybe those players that you believe should be starting don't deserve to start at this time?

bisonfan08
12-18-2018, 02:34 PM
What a stupid statement. A couple of players injured and the early nonconference schedule are cause for using different lineups and rotations before getting to conference play. Maybe those players that you believe should be starting don't deserve to start at this time?

We can all have our opinions but I don't think it's a stupid statement, Samuelson and Quayle are very similar in playing style. They work hard, fundamentally sound most of the time but they don't have the athleticism to create their own shots against other guards at this level, playing them at the same time is an offensive liability (and defensive if the other guys are quick with the ball). When we have guys like Ward, Horn, Cook or even Deng riding the bench at the beginning of games while both of those guys start it's not a smart move. I'm okay with them both having minutes but they should rotate for each other, not play at the same time.

Mr Meaty
12-18-2018, 02:57 PM
I am not trying to make excuses for Dave, but I think he is trying to find the rotation/combination of players that work best together. Injuries to a couple players have set that back a bit. There are certain players that are better coming off the bench rather than starting. When conference play starts I would expect the rotation/combination of lineup will reduce depending on the matchup. OOC schedule has been tough and maybe we can start to put together some wins. SDSU is still the team to beat.

IzzyFlexion
12-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Allowing just 19 first half points and eventually losing the game HAS TO BE some kind of record...…..jeez!

Hey Slicky...….where you at fool?......bpnhak!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bisonator98
12-18-2018, 05:58 PM

Lol first off Samuelson is a spot shooter at best and Dave has him starting? Are fricking serious?? And it's not because of injuries because he was the starter at the beginning of the season!

If your second statement is true than there is no hope for this team. Do you realize how stupid your statement is?

We are damn near thru the non-conference schedule and if he does not have an established starting lineup by now he never will. It's beyond pathetic the way he has handled this team the last 2-3 years.

DIBISON
12-18-2018, 06:41 PM

I agree with this and those that make these type of comments about the coach and team during the early nonconference portion of the schedule are just ----.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 07:26 PM

Not stupid at all, if we had real media Dave would be asked relevant questions like this but instead he skates on by. Luckiest guy on campus having football take so much attention away from a program that should be under a much bigger microscope due to its recent struggles.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 07:41 PM
I can get where Samuelson kind of helps to stablize the starting lineup but I don't get Quayle starting nor do I get playing him as much as he did when he was playing poorly.

Then he has two of our most athletic players on the bench, Gue has been playing better and better, his play should be rewarded.

heckler
12-18-2018, 07:43 PM
I agree with this and those that make these type of comments about the coach and team during the early nonconference portion of the schedule are just ----.

Just curious... You obviously don't think that the coach is the problem and that's understandable but is he the solution?

Professor Chaos
12-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Lol first off Samuelson is a spot shooter at best and Dave has him starting? Are fricking serious?? And it's not because of injuries because he was the starter at the beginning of the season!

If your second statement is true than there is no hope for this team. Do you realize how stupid your statement is?

We are damn near thru the non-conference schedule and if he does not have an established starting lineup by now he never will. It's beyond pathetic the way he has handled this team the last 2-3 years.
Jared Samuelson and Mike Felt are identical players and in 2013/14 Felt averaged 14.7 minutes per game (7th on the team) and so far this year Samuelson is averaging 25.6 minutes per game (3rd on the team). I think that tells you all you need to know about how far this program has fallen in 5 years.

devin45k
12-18-2018, 07:46 PM

His record has basically gotten worse every year. They are also is 4-8 right now. We are supposed to be cool with this because it is non-conference?

Mr Meaty
12-18-2018, 07:51 PM
His record has basically gotten worse every year. They are also is 4-8 right now. We are supposed to be cool with this because it is non-conference?

During postgame last night, Dave said, these games don't count. Conference play is what matters. Well he is somewhat correct as to we are only getting into the dance if we win the conference tourney. But you also have to be heading in the right direction and improving. I had high hopes after what I saw in the UC-SB game early in the year. Since then, nothing has impressed me.

Bisonator98
12-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Jared Samuelson and Mike Felt are identical players and in 2013/14 Felt averaged 14.7 minutes per game (7th on the team) and so far this year Samuelson is averaging 25.6 minutes per game (3rd on the team). I think that tells you all you need to know about how far this program has fallen in 5 years.

Felt was the 6th man of the year. I think he was better then Samuelson yet Dave has him starting! WTF!:facepalm:

ndsubison1
12-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Quayle played 24 minutes, was 0-4 and had 4 turnovers...I'm sure he helped out with culture or some BS though.

I dont understand. Nothing is going to change regarding lineups. It's mind boggling.

ndsubison1
12-18-2018, 07:57 PM
We can all have our opinions but I don't think it's a stupid statement, Samuelson and Quayle are very similar in playing style. They work hard, fundamentally sound most of the time but they don't have the athleticism to create their own shots against other guards at this level, playing them at the same time is an offensive liability (and defensive if the other guys are quick with the ball). When we have guys like Ward, Horn, Cook or even Deng riding the bench at the beginning of games while both of those guys start it's not a smart move. I'm okay with them both having minutes but they should rotate for each other, not play at the same time.

Its not like these 2 are new. We know they shouldnt be starting.

Bisonator98
12-18-2018, 07:57 PM
During postgame last night, Dave said, these games don't count. Conference play is what matters. Well he is somewhat correct as to we are only getting into the dance if we win the conference tourney. But you also have to be heading in the right direction and improving. I had high hopes after what I saw in the UC-SB game early in the year. Since then, nothing has impressed me.

Brilliant.:facepalm:

Of course they don't count as far as making the tourney but if you want a decent seed they do. Dave is apparently happy just getting there. Fat chance of that happening if he can't beat Montana for crying out loud.

NDSUstudent
12-18-2018, 08:24 PM
I also don't get why he pull's Knotek's redshirt and plays him 6 minutes last night and 3 minutes the game prior...Now we have guys almost back from injury, kind of seems like a waste.

bisonfan08
12-18-2018, 08:48 PM
I also don't get why he pull's Knotek's redshirt and plays him 6 minutes last night and 3 minutes the game prior...Now we have guys almost back from injury, kind of seems like a waste.

THIS^^^ Unless it was the players decision it makes absolutely no sense. Especially since against MOST he only played him 3 minutes and didn't play Cook at all. Cook coulda handled those 3 minutes

westnodak93bison
12-18-2018, 08:57 PM
It's like DR learned nothing while coaching under Miles & Saul

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

devin45k
12-18-2018, 09:08 PM

My god that really grinds my gears. Basically, he is saying we should strive to be mediocre at best with this program. Wow, that really gets me excited for the future of men’s basketball at NDSU

TAILG8R
12-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Sounds like someone grasping for straws and trying to catch lightning in a bottle during the conference tourney. Doesn't sound like a confident coach that is trying to grow a program and compete day in day out to rise to the level of competition.

CAS4127
12-19-2018, 12:18 AM
My god that really grinds my gears. Basically, he is saying we should strive to be mediocre at best with this program. Wow, that really gets me excited for the future of men’s basketball at NDSU

Agreed. It’s Irv Iniger-like. Split at home and lose on the road, and we do seem to play way worse on the road with Richman. Compare that to the football pedigree on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUBison
12-19-2018, 12:52 AM

Me too, can't believe he said that. I guess his goal is getting that 16 seed and playing a MEAC school in the first four. He's practically got these guys mentally conditioned to think it's no big deal to lose the game before they even step on the court if that is the attitude he's bringing. Imagine him being the HC back in 2013. Hey LA, Trayvonn, Marshall and Taylor, no biggie if you lay down tonight against Notre Dame, non-con doesn't matter to me. No problem if you mail it in against Ohio State, they're number 2 and all that, I don't expect much other than a 40 point loss. That 40 point loss to Gonzaga still burns my ass, when did NDSU become a SWAC level non-conference opponent for teams? I mean just skimming the box scores and results on gobison from the past ten years is eye opening in the non-conference competitiveness. The thing is, when he talks of culture, he isn't wrong, it did exist with the Marshall/LA, Woody/Winks teams. Like someone mentioned in the other thread even the 2009-2011 era with lower talent level the team was competitive and gritty. Bison Basketball used to have a culture, but it's been MIA since he took over it seems to me.

CAS4127
12-19-2018, 12:53 AM
Me too, can't believe he said that. I guess his goal is getting that 16 seed and playing a MEAC school in the first four. He's practically got these guys mentally conditioned to think it's no big deal to lose the game before they even step on the court if that is the attitude he's bringing. Imagine him being the HC back in 2013. Hey LA, Trayvonn, Marshall and Taylor, no biggie if you lay down tonight against Notre Dame, non-con doesn't matter to me. No problem if you mail it in against Ohio State, they're number 2 and all that, I don't expect much other than a 40 point loss. That 40 point loss to Gonzaga still burns my ass, when did NDSU become a SWAC level non-conference opponent for teams? I mean just skimming the box scores and results on gobison from the past ten years is eye opening in the non-conference competitiveness. The thing is, when he talks of culture, he isn't wrong, it did exist with the Marshall/LA, Woody/Winks teams. Like someone mentioned in the other thread even the 2009-2011 era with lower talent level the team was competitive and gritty. Bison Basketball used to have a culture, but it's been MIA since he took over it seems to me.

Solid post. Was fun back then. Heck, even I was all in!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HandoEX
12-19-2018, 02:06 AM
It's like DR learned nothing while coaching under Miles & Saul

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
By this point, we had sucked the previous 3 seasons after winning the conference in year 1 with Saul and Dave. We lost to the Dragons to start the 5th season under Saul. Looks like Dave learned plenty. Haha!

NDSUstudent
12-19-2018, 03:00 AM
My issue with Dave is that the says he really likes how Deng and Tyson finished the game last night...He can see it but for whatever reason he can put it together and actually start the game with them on the court.

The 24 minutes he gave Quayle is just beyond words to me, I am sure he is a nice kid and all but he played poorly last night. I'm on the verge of a massive SDbison esque rant right now with how Dave is running this team.

heckler
12-19-2018, 03:52 AM
Sounds like a winning culture... What is his buy out? I'll create a go fund me page.