PDA

View Full Version : A few post-game thoughts.

Kevin
09-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Well I just got in after witnessing the thrashing of Weber State. I'd like to share a few of my observations tonight (if any of these have already been mentioned in other threads I apologize for poaching. I'm to tired/slightly drunk to read them all :p)

Anyways:

1) Steffes: I have never seen anyone make runs that pretty. He goes all out on his short and long runs, we got ourselves a real work horse there.

2) Walker: Calm and cool as always. He had a few throws that made me hold my breath but it may have been due to miscommunication with young wide-outs as opposed to just bad decision making. But once again, a flawless game by our QB.

3) Washington: If anyone of you didn't see his punt return, be sure to catch the Craig Bohl show tomorrow. It even outdoes the return he had against NSU last week.

4) Mays: What a stud. Two sacks, almost had a pick (Dohl and Mays kinda.. ran into each other and busted it up heh) Mays had the 'cats QB runnin for his life all night long.

5) Heckendorf: Whoever kept saying he was going to be the man in last weeks game thread had it right. Keep an eye on #9.

6) The poor sportsmanship: Was I the only one who noticed Weber coming apart at the seams early on? I understand playin in the Bison Barn can be a bit intimidating but they had quite a few personal fouls and the cheap shot on Dohl (a punch to the groin) was completely uncalled for. Maybe I'm making to much out of it, but it seemed like they were desperate from the get-go.

7) The Bison Defense: 50 yards or so allowed rushing. Two turnovers one for a TD. 'nuff said.

8) Chapman: Late in the game we did miss him. But Steffes proved he can carry the load. Washington has speed and talent but watching him trying to run up the gut was a bit disturbing. Big linebackers eat about a Shamen a day, afterall.

9) Special Teams: I'll admit to knowing little about Weber State but either they have a great kick returner or our special teams (namely kick offs) were slow on the ball tonight.

10) Beer: Why the hell don't they sell it during college games? (I just turned 21. I guess I never really paid attention before)

Overall it was a great night and a great win. I wonder where we'll end up in the polls this week?

WYOBISONMAN
09-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I thought the nut punch on Dahl was cheap as hell. Too bad the refs didn't catch it.

At 10:30pm on the sports show on KSL-5 (The Salt Lake NBC station) they led off with highlights of the NDSU/Weber rout and talked about what a powerhouse NDSU was in DI-AA football!

go_bison
09-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Today's Fargo Forum....McFeely almost sounds pro-Bison...well, almost.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=103305&section=Columnists&columnist=M ike%20McFeely

JBB
09-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Its a good column.

Most surprising stat: NDSU’s defense has outscored the opposition’s offense, three touchdowns to two.

Great Quote Joy Mays: “Pressure busts pipes,” Mays said, explaining the Bison’s goal into getting to the quarterback.

bisongold
09-18-2005, 03:42 PM
A great quote...pressure busts pipes...very fitting tagline for him. Would be a good chant from the student section after a sack!!

go_bison
09-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Its a good column.

Most surprising stat: * *NDSU’s defense has outscored the opposition’s offense, three touchdowns to two.

Great Quote Joy Mays: *“Pressure busts pipes,” Mays said, explaining the Bison’s goal into getting to the quarterback.

Those 2 TDs that the defense has given up, weren't those 2nd string defense? If not 2nd string, they came late in the game, meaningless.

WYOBISONMAN
09-18-2005, 06:53 PM
It did not seem like the offense was as on as they were against NW State.....thoughts??

Walker had a good outing, but not a great outing.....

Gamehunter
09-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Those 2 TDs that the defense has given up, weren't those 2nd string defense? If not 2nd string, they came late in the game, meaningless.

The TD that UAM scored came against the second D, the TD against Northwestern was against our FIRST D (correct???) but it should not have been a touchdown, as it was very obviously interference on their part. The Bison defense is just down right scarry. period. The closest Weber ever got was somewhere around the Bison 35yd line. Although the offense seems to be pretty good, I think the defense makes the O look much better by giving such good field position play after play.

The offense wasn't as good as it was at Northwestern State. They didn't make nearly the big plays, and I still think the Northwestern D is much better than the Weber D. The difference though, was the running game. I think it is quite obvious to see that Northwestern is SCARRY good against the run. Steffes rushed for 179 yards by the 4th quarter against Weber...nuff said
Walker finally just has a "decent" game. So your telling me he is in fact human after all? He wasn't 100% on his mark last night, and it appeared like he knew it too. He played very conservatively, only going downfield a few times. I was once again, very impressed with his play calling ability. Definate signs of a leader.

The Bison have proved they can come up big through the air or on the ground. That helps to stretch opposing defenses thin. Just when they commit to stopping the run they get burned through the air.

I wonder what the weakness will be in MSU's defense? It sounds like Cat fans are not overly confident in its ability to stop plays. Hopefully the coaches can decipher what Cal Poly did, and repeat it.

sambini
09-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Kyle Steffes is a stud and that oline is getting better. Gus has that defense playing super.

kchats
09-19-2005, 12:04 AM
With the Vikings stinking things up maybe the Vikings fans that haven't been paying attention to the Bison will start going to the Bison games. Bison are a better coached team.

Bison_Dan
09-19-2005, 01:00 PM
It did not seem like the offense was as on as they were against NW State.....thoughts??

Walker had a good outing, but not a great outing.....

I agree the O wasn't clicking in the second half. But hell you can't be all world all the time. ;D ;D

mikelsch
09-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Why didn't Popowski get last week off to rest his ailing ankle? He played way too long against Weber. We have some major games coming up and can not afford to miss his services.

Bisonguy
09-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Why didn't Popowski get last week off to rest his ailing ankle? *He played way too long against Weber. *We have some major games coming up and can not afford to miss his services.

From the Craig Bohl Show last night, Bohl stated that the ankle could not be injured any worse with playing on it. The training staff, coaching staff, and Popowski himself all gave the green light to continue playing.