PDA

View Full Version : Chapman suspended for the Weber St. Game

Bison_Kent
09-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Craig Bohl announced running back Cinque Chapman will be suspended from playing in the Weber State University game this Saturday for failure to comply to team rules.

Not sure what he did but this game may not be the worst game for him to be suspended.

swany_spectrum
09-15-2005, 04:52 PM
That is too bad. I wonder if another solid performance in the backfield by the speedy Shamen Washington doesn't cost Chapman some snaps in upcoming games.

WYOBISONMAN
09-15-2005, 08:27 PM
I would suspect that could cost Chapman........

silkamilkamonico
09-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Not sure what he did but this game may not be the worst game for him to be suspended. *

For the team? Or for Chapman himself as far as PT throughout the rest of the season?

Bisonguy
09-16-2005, 12:24 AM
WDAY reported that NDSU cannot comment on the reason for the suspension due to privacy rules, but WDAY contacted the FPD and they said Chapman was cited for a minor in possession last week. :-/

Tatanka
09-16-2005, 02:02 AM
Craig Bohl announced running back Cinque Chapman *will be suspended from playing in the Weber State University game this Saturday for failure to comply to team rules.

Kudos to coach Bohl for holding his star players as accountable as everyone else. Like Babich before him, Bohl clearly runs a clean program.

02Bison
09-16-2005, 02:27 AM
Kudos to coach Bohl for holding his star players as accountable as everyone else. *Like Babich before him, Bohl clearly runs a clean program.

I couldn't agree more! Wearing the Bison Uniform is a privilege and I'm glad to see Bohl is not afraid to do what's right!

Uni_of_No_Diks
09-16-2005, 03:48 AM
I went to NDSU and with this G@y party patrol that thinks MIRANDA is a hot guy.... *not RIGHTS!* on the prowl.. its surprising the WHOLE NDSU team doesnt have a M.I.P...

Party Patrol is a JOKE.. Let the College kids experience college.. half their friends are 21+ and cripes... everyone gets M.I.P's...

lets let Chapman play..... this is a joke.. and FARGO POLICE is a JOKE..

I don't think he should be punished.

BisonSig
09-16-2005, 05:08 AM
Sorry man, the party patrol is very defunct. Has been for a couple years. They found that they couldn't hold up most of the charges in court. I think some one may also have sued. So they stopped doing the patrol.

The can still shut down parties that have had complaints. They just can't create 'suspicious activity' out of the air anymore.

WYOBISONMAN
09-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Sorry man, the party patrol is very defunct. *Has been for a couple years. *They found that they couldn't hold up most of the charges in court. *I think some one may also have sued. *So they stopped doing the patrol.

The can still shut down parties that have had complaints. *They just can't create 'suspicious activity' out of the air anymore.

That is good. I always thought that "Party Patrol" was really chickenshit. Parties are a part of college......Who remembers the garbage can parties at the snake house! Or fog lifter at the TKE house.... Or the wreck the couch parties at the AGR house...... Geez.....it wasn't binge drinking........just a right of passage..... :-/

84grad
09-16-2005, 03:37 PM
So which is it? People were upset that Rocky Hager did not punish players for their behavior, and now some people are upset Coach Bohl is punishing them. Put me down on the side that supports Coach Bohl. If the desire is to be the best on the field, then there needs to be an attitude of being the best off of the field as well for the players.

WYOBISONMAN
09-16-2005, 04:29 PM
I think it is reasonable to suspend Cinque for a game.....but the overzelous Fargo cops and the Party Patrol was stupid..........

swany_spectrum
09-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Coach Bohl did the right thing and Chapman will learn from his mistake. It is a greek tragedy as Chapman turned 21 days after the minor. I do agree with a previous post that you have to hold your players accountable.

Who could forget the Mankato St. game a few years back when Lamar Gordon, Deshawn Perkins, and Richard Lewis were all suspended for an altercation at the Underground in Moorhead.

I bring this up as it raises an interesting question to ponder. Had those three played we likey would have won going away (heck, Carrington native Brian Turner rushed for 125 yds vs. Mankato and he was listed as a linebacker or safety). Lamar probably would have busted 200, Bison win, make the playoffs and maybe banner #9 is hanging from the roof of the Dome.

However, we all know what happened. The Herd stumbles in that game, which in all likelihood cost them a shot at the playoffs and everything that so many worked so hard for was lost. My question, finally, is this. Is it right to suspend the individual(s) when doing so costs the entire team a goal it has worked so hard for, therefore, in essence, punishing them as well? Just throwing it out there.

kchats
09-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Yes you punish the individual which also punishes the team. It makes the team police the individuals since what their teammates do also affects them. That is part of being a team or a part of any organization what your teammate or coworker does does affect you and your organization. Remember when K-State had the problem with Michael Bishop at the bowl game? Alot of the K-State fans said you can't keep him from playing because the punishes the team more than just Bishop. They lost and should have suspended Bishop. K-State hasn't been the same since and Coach Snyder had his house broken into by a player on his team last season.

84grad
09-16-2005, 05:10 PM
"My question, finally, is this. Is it right to suspend the individual(s) when doing so costs the entire team a goal it has worked so hard for, therefore, in essence, punishing them as well?"

Yes, I believe that it is right to suspend the individual. To withhold punishment for the sake of the whole team perpetuates the perception of the "untouchable athlete". Accountability to the team extends from the field (where missed plays/mistakes affect the whole team) to off of the field.

coloradobison
09-16-2005, 05:23 PM
*Is it right to suspend the individual(s) when doing so costs the entire team a goal it has worked so hard for, therefore, in essence, punishing them as well? *Just throwing it out there. *

You have to suspend him. Whether it was a big rule or a little rule, you have to enforce the rules or they dont mean a dam thing. It seems to me that if you dont have rules as a team, and guys are out doing whatever they dam well please, whenever they want, and break the law or whatever, what kind of a team atmosphere does that create?

He has to be suspended.

WYOBISONMAN
09-16-2005, 05:28 PM
.........and to add to that.........the player are representatives of the University and it is reasonable to hold them to a higher standard than your run of the mill student.

RxBison
09-16-2005, 05:31 PM
The rules are there for a reason. He must be held accountable for his actions and suspended.

In the future, other players will hopefully think twice before breaking the rules.

IowaBison
09-16-2005, 06:03 PM
the decision is simple game theory (you know, John Nash, A Beautiful Mind)

Be disciplined, pay small prices

Be lax, and someday you'll be paying big time

Though some might think it's hyperbole, but you let stuff like this go and soon you're SMU.

Tatanka
09-17-2005, 01:39 AM
.........and to add to that.........the player are representatives of the University and it is reasonable to hold them to a higher standard than your run of the mill student.
and to add to that... someone else is paying (at least part of) your way through school. It is a good thing to tie some responsibility to that.

coloradobison
09-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Any word whether chapman will be back this week?

somebison
09-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Any word whether chapman will be back this week?

per Bohl's new conference, he will be back

coloradobison
09-20-2005, 04:48 PM
I must have spaced out when he said that.

WYOBISONMAN
09-20-2005, 05:09 PM
I heard it too! :D

tony
09-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Driving into Fargo on Saturday I caught part of a WDAY sports show - they were comparing Bohl to Bowden! One of the guys was saying that "We're not saying this is what happened, we're just saying that maybe Bohl kept Chapman on the roster for NW State because that's a more important game than Weber State game."

The other guy said that, "Well, it happened on Thursday night and they were flying out on Friday... maybe Bohl didn't find out until after the game."

Good lord. Bohl suspended people plenty of times... Was the Northwestern State game more important than the Cal Poly game last year when Bohl suspended Vartanian? I thought it was completely uncalled for a reporter to speculate about Bohl and what he knew and when he knew it when they could have just asked him in a press conference. Arg.

Anyway, yeah, Cinque can do what he did and still be a good kid (heck, we probably all immediately thought back to similar incidents in our own past). However, good kid or not - it was completely appropriate (and absolutely necessary) to suspend him for a game.

Whatever_
09-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Agreed. I've done some dumb ^*%* in my day but I don't consider myself a delinquent. Not sure about the spelling on that.

kchats
09-20-2005, 06:45 PM
He won't have to worry about minor in consumption anymore as I understand he is now 21. Supposedly he turned 21 eleven days after his arrest.

kchats
09-20-2005, 06:46 PM
I think the Fargo media loves to paint the Bison as a bunch of lawless thugs for some reason. Usually it is a rival schools paper that does this but the Forum and local media do plenty to run NDSU through the mud.

sambini
09-21-2005, 02:21 AM
I think the kid made a mistake and hopefully he will learn from it.