PDA

View Full Version : Wake up Bison Nation!

Pages : [1] 2

Professor Chaos
12-02-2018, 07:50 AM
So this is obviously preaching to the choir as most people who frequent this board are hardcores but I'm starting to get embarrassed by the relative lack of support for this 2018 Bison football team compared to previous years. This is one of the best teams any of us will ever see take the field in the green and yellow and there are far too many of us that take it for granted. One of the most remarkable things about this run is how well the players and coaches have been able to fend off complacency. As fans that should require a fraction of the effort to do the same but we're proving with our dwindling attendance figures that we can't even do that.

So get on the horn with everyone one you know... this team deserves our support and if we can't give it to them we don't deserve the effort that they're giving us week in and week out. Championship caliber teams deserve championship caliber support and the players and coaching staff are holding up their end of the bargain but right now as fans we are not. Pick it up Bison Nation! /rant

Mr Meaty
12-02-2018, 11:23 AM
100% agree with this!!! But then again I am in your hardcore group of fans.

gizmo
12-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Totally agree! Some teams have fairweather and bandwagon fans but the Bison have a group of odd, unappreciative "fans" for whom nothing is good enough. It's just wierd.

scottietohottie
12-02-2018, 12:16 PM
Like I said in the gameday thread. If Bison fans don't wake up that student section is going to be full of jackrabbits in 2 weeks.

That said I thought the North end zone brought the noise after that long pass.

1st&TennBison
12-02-2018, 01:07 PM
So this is obviously preaching to the choir as most people who frequent this board are hardcores but I'm starting to get embarrassed by the relative lack of support for this 2018 Bison football team compared to previous years. This is one of the best teams any of us will ever see take the field in the green and yellow and there are far too many of us that take it for granted. One of the most remarkable things about this run is how well the players and coaches have been able to fend off complacency. As fans that should require a fraction of the effort to do the same but we're proving with our dwindling attendance figures that we can't even do that.

So get on the horn with everyone one you know... this team deserves our support and if we can't give it to them we don't deserve the effort that they're giving us week in and week out. Championship caliber teams deserve championship caliber support and the players and coaching staff are holding up their end of the bargain but right now as fans we are not. Pick it up Bison Nation! /rant
And people wonder why we do not have a 27k seat stadium. The team does great and fans are starting to think of it as the norm, or they are getting ho-hum about the team. People at work who were die hard fans back in 2011-2015 are no longer going to games very much as they say it is nothing new or no longer exciting, which just blows my mind.
The football team is dominating at the same level or even better than Alabama (who has a 27,000 deep waiting list to get season tickets), and people are acting like it is nothing special. Not all fans mind you, but enough to take notice of. If this is the case when the team is winning, think of how it could go if and when the team finally goes through a couple years of not making the playoffs.

Ndsu84
12-02-2018, 01:31 PM
This team is fantastic. But the game was decided by halftime.

No doubt we have been spoiled by wins over Iowa, KState etc..... I had no doubt the Bison could beat those teams but to actually see them do it in their stadiums was the greatest.

We left at halftime to go to a watch party for Alabama/Georgia. It wasn’t disrespect for the Bison, it was disrespect for MSU.

So what’s the solution? Our leadership needs to tell us what steps are being taken to move forward. What are the immediate obstacles/goals. What is our timeline.

But in the meantime, don’t diminish how f—-ing great our athletes and team are!

scottietohottie
12-02-2018, 01:35 PM
I don't even think the 50/50 raffle winner was still in attendance for the draw!

TAILG8R
12-02-2018, 01:54 PM
I don't believe they can announce the winner on the field during the playoffs.
I don't even think the 50/50 raffle winner was still in attendance for the draw!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

offroader613
12-02-2018, 02:03 PM

No, but the graphic did pop up on the end zone boards in the 3rd and early in the 4th quarter. Just have to look during stoppages or timeouts.

MNLonghorn10
12-02-2018, 02:10 PM
It is what it is.. ndsu is too good for this level and theres nothing left to prove.

It's like a level 1 softball beer league team full of rockstar former college stars who each bring 3 bats in their matching bags took on my pud level 4 team
Nobody wants to see that beatdown especially 8 times a year

scottietohottie
12-02-2018, 02:11 PM
He at least we're not UCF.

scottietohottie
12-02-2018, 02:12 PM

Yeah but they don't keep putting the number up once it's been claimed.

SC_TX
12-02-2018, 02:15 PM
It is what it is.. ndsu is too good for this level and theres nothing left to prove.

It's like a level 1 softball beer league team full of rockstar former college stars who each bring 3 bats in their matching bags took on my pud level 4 team

Exactly correct. The FCS fatigue is real.

Bison 4 Life
12-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Yep, nothing like a few 5 or 6 loss seasons that don't last past November to get the fire going!

TAILG8R
12-02-2018, 02:32 PM
I guess I didn't realize it was up that long. Once I knew the numbers weren't mine I stopped paying attention. Was less then 400 numbers off though so I've got that going for me.

Hammerhead
12-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Up near the top of section 10, there were only a few of us making noise. The people next to me did the "get up for the kickoff" thing a few times and that 's about it. I will give him props for actually keeping his cap off his head until the flag was off the field after the national anthem.

Mr Meaty
12-02-2018, 02:52 PM

We checked our numbers after the game.

GreenfieldBison
12-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Like I said in the gameday thread. If Bison fans don't wake up that student section is going to be full of jackrabbits in 2 weeks.

That said I thought the North end zone brought the noise after that long pass.

You mean it will be like a Packers Vikings game at USBank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMB
12-02-2018, 03:06 PM
We are certainly spoiled a bit. I am always interested on the flip side of our dynasties. Look at South Dakota, a few years ago I was lurking on their message board and they were discussing that there 1986 team was their best team ever. Unfortunately for them the 1986 NDSU team was historically good. It must be frustrating as a fan base and organization to think "How this is as good as we have ever been, the stars have aligned" and then hit that peak the same year the stars have aligned more completely for another team. Granted, its not by chance, as NDSU's culture has a lot to do with it, but I always found it interesting to try to view it from another angle and appreciate how good we have it as a fan base.

EC8CH
12-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Kid had a b-ball tournament this weekend. I'll try to do better next weekend.

DCinOK
12-02-2018, 03:28 PM
I wasn't experiencing "FCS Fatigue" when JMU was celebrating in the Fargodome, nor when I watched the nerve-wracking Championship against them last year. FCS Fatigue must be a "living in Fargo" thing. Here in Oklahoma, I love it when wearing NDSU gear brings all kinds of compliments and recognition for what we do from a state full of FBS fans. I would have thought we'd learned that Frisco is not a given, and though this teams looks much like 2013, we haven't won it yet.

HerdBot
12-02-2018, 06:49 PM
This is one of the best Bison teams ever. The fans have been great early in games but it's tough to get fired up when a game is over half way through the 2nd quarter. That's fine.

As far as attendance goes, the game would have sold out had students showed up. The students just dont seem to care and apparently there aren't enough fans to pick up the slack of unclaimed tickets with 4 days notice. Or else people dont know.

Also weather had been working against us. October weather was more like December. Casual fans dont tailgate when its below freezing

SomeBeach
12-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Maybe we should get pompons.

Twincitybizon
12-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Maybe we should get pompons.

Or Streamers?

GreenfieldBison
12-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Kid had a b-ball tournament this weekend. I'll try to do better next weekend.

I covered you this weekend. Bought 3 tix and I usually don’t get to Fargo for games.

Gonna help out next week too unless the weather prohibits.

Ex Pat
12-03-2018, 01:40 AM
I’ve posted infrequently and probably will continue to do so, however I felt compelled to get in on this one. I think it’s time to take G/5 offers seriously if they arise. I know about geography, academics, etc I get all of that. But when we have 10k more fans than the next attendance in rd 2 and we are upset about it- the subdivision doesn’t have a problem. We do. App won the sun belt/ it was probably awesome.They were ranked (briefly) I bet it was awesome. P5 teams actually schedule them. Get my drift? Nattys are incredible and I LOVE this team but yeah... I get it. I’ll just say it. NDSU seems to be above this level on every measurable front. It’s tough.

bisonboone11
12-03-2018, 01:46 AM
I’ve posted infrequently and probably will continue to do so, however I felt compelled to get in on this one. I think it’s time to take G/5 offers seriously if they arise. I know about geography, academics, etc I get all of that. But when we have 10k more fans than the next attendance in rd 2 and we are upset about it- the subdivision doesn’t have a problem. We do. App won the sun belt/ it was probably awesome.They were ranked (briefly) I bet it was awesome. P5 teams actually schedule them. Get my drift? Nattys are incredible and I LOVE this team but yeah... I get it. I’ll just say it. NDSU seems to be above this level on every measurable front. It’s tough.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI can understand that feeling by some people, but how many of these teams would our fans be excited about seeing the team play...
https://sunbeltsports.org/standings.aspx?path=football

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
12-03-2018, 02:02 AM
One-fifth of all the FBS teams averaged less than 20,000 per game over a 5-year period so it's not like we would be visiting stadiums with 30,000 fans every week. https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/02/college-football-attendance-rankings-five-year-biggest-average If we were the best team in the Mountain West conference, we could host a conference championship game and go the Las Vegas bowl in mid-December.

23Bison
12-03-2018, 02:06 AM
I can understand that feeling by some people, but how many of these teams would our fans be excited about seeing the team play...
https://sunbeltsports.org/standings.aspx?path=football

2 for sure but this isn’t including the 3 OOC games which would probably consist of at least 2 P5 teams and maybe a decent G5. And no I don’t like the Sunbelt.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-03-2018, 02:13 AM
The FBS vs. FCS thing is a tough nut to crack and I've waffled back and forth on this issue myself. Either way, we are between a rock and a hard place. We stay FCS and our season is boring but the post-season is great. We go FBS and the non-conference season is off the charts exciting, but the season and post season will suck. I don't think a MW or MAC conference schedule will bring in any more fans or be more exciting than a MVFC schedule.

Ultimately, I think what most fans on here would like is for us to be in a P5 conference, unfortunately, that will never happen, so NDSU will always be playing second fiddle, which is too bad because we all know we could make some serious noise on the college footfall landscape if given the chance.

23Bison
12-03-2018, 02:26 AM
MW wouldn’t be too bad. Get 3 good OOC games scheduled do very well/win the conference at home. Win that and have a decent bowl game against another P5 team. Develope more of a rep in FBS and then get snubbed by the committee after thrashing everyone for two years and get more publicity on tv. I’d be fine complaining about that in all honesty.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-03-2018, 02:38 AM
MW wouldn’t be too bad. Get 3 good OOC games scheduled do very well/win the conference at home. Win that and have a decent bowl game against another P5 team. Develope more of a rep in FBS and then get snubbed by the committee after thrashing everyone for two years and get more publicity on tv. I’d be fine complaining about that in all honesty.

That is a best case scenario. If we don't win it all, the post season is a major disappointment. I'm with you on the OOC part, the problem is that playing the MW conference schedule won't be any better than playing the MV schedule. Not a lot to get excited about.

Like I said earlier, between a rock and a hard place.

reformedUNDfan
12-03-2018, 02:40 AM
One-fifth of all the FBS teams averaged less than 20,000 per game over a 5-year period so it's not like we would be visiting stadiums with 30,000 fans every week. https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/02/college-football-attendance-rankings-five-year-biggest-average If we were the best team in the Mountain West conference, we could host a conference championship game and go the Las Vegas bowl in mid-December.

American or bust. Its a head and shoulders better league than the other 4, and its champion (which could easily be us!) will go to a new years day bowl every year there isn't an undefeated team from the others. Win big in the non-conference and you can make the playoff.

Seeing their undefeated champion relegated to a new years day bowl two years in a row due to SOS might make them interested in a football-only high mid-major.

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 02:43 AM
The FBS vs. FCS thing is a tough nut to crack and I've waffled back and forth on this issue myself. Either way, we are between a rock and a hard place. We stay FCS and our season is boring but the post-season is great. We go FBS and the non-conference season is off the charts exciting, but the season and post season will suck. I don't think a MW or MAC conference schedule will bring in any more fans or be more exciting than a MVFC schedule.

Ultimately, I think what most fans on here would like is for us to be in a P5 conference, unfortunately, that will never happen, so NDSU will always be playing second fiddle, which is too bad because we all know we could make some serious noise on the college footfall landscape if given the chance.

Right now, we are a program that absolutely maximizes our resources. That's all. At the end of the day we're still a 15k school in the middle of nowhere with a ~$30 million budget.

We aren't turning down FBS offers. Nobody's offering.

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 02:45 AM
American or bust. Its a head and shoulders better league than the other 4, and its champion (which could easily be us!) will go to a new years day bowl every year there isn't an undefeated team from the others. Win big in the non-conference and you can make the playoff.

Seeing their undefeated champion relegated to a new years day bowl two years in a row due to SOS might make them interested in a football-only high mid-major.

Would still be the smallest public school and have to add nearly 50% to our current yearly budget to still be last. Doesn't that sound awesome?

Facts
12-03-2018, 03:07 AM
Right now, we are a program that absolutely maximizes our resources. That's all. At the end of the day we're still a 15k school in the middle of nowhere with a ~$30 million budget.

That is reality, no doubt. The other reality is that because of our culture we play at a level about double to triple what our budget is. I believe if you build it dollars and invites will come. It’s a chicken or egg deal...

Christopher Moen
12-03-2018, 03:41 AM
I think it’s time to take G/5 offers seriously if they arise.

The biggest problem is the “if.” In my travels, I’ve learned the MAC schools are hemorrhaging money (according to an Akron employee) and during a luncheon, the Mountain West thinks NDSU is a cute little school while their schools are on par with any P5 school.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

Professorbum
12-03-2018, 04:55 AM

Univ of Wyoming is around 14,000. Arkansas State at 14,000 in Jonesboro. Coastal Carolina with 10,000. There's plenty of G5 FBS schools that are our size or smaller, and even some P5 schools.

reformedUNDfan
12-03-2018, 05:43 AM
Would still be the smallest public school and have to add nearly 50% to our current yearly budget to still be last. Doesn't that sound awesome?

who says we have to do this? we're a football only affiliate.

X-Factor
12-03-2018, 12:36 PM
who says we have to do this? we're a football only affiliate.

People bitch yearly about the increase in ticket prices/TM dues. How many Bisonville sob stories about unaffordability would we hear if a move up happened? Supply/Demand would dictate a changing of the guard would occur as prices rise

Vet70
12-03-2018, 01:16 PM
People bitch yearly about the increase in ticket prices/TM dues. How many Bisonville sob stories about unaffordability would we hear if a move up happened? Supply/Demand would dictate a changing of the guard would occur as prices rise

Maybe we could get rid of some of these old people.

BisonFan13
12-03-2018, 01:28 PM
We are a season ticket holder and seriously thinking about letting them go after this season. I don't mind paying more if the football is good but the competition is very weak. With most of the good teams moving up a few years ago, the FCS has gotten watered down. Last week, I got an email from University of Minnesota promoting their season tickets for next year and their highest and lowest prices levels were cheaper than NDSU. Now you can debate who is better between Gophers and Bison. However, watching the Gophers play Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State is still better than the teams that NDSU plays. I like seeing the Bison win but I also want to see some good games. You should not have quarterfinal games where the Bison are favored by almost 30 points. It tells me there is no competition at the FCS level.

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Univ of Wyoming is around 14,000. Arkansas State at 14,000 in Jonesboro. Coastal Carolina with 10,000. There's plenty of G5 FBS schools that are our size or smaller, and even some P5 schools.

So you're saying you want to go to the Sun Belt. Tell me what kind of "great competition" you're going to get there.

The person to whom I was responding was talking about the AAC.

KNOW IT ALL
12-03-2018, 01:39 PM
We are a season ticket holder and seriously thinking about letting them go after this season. I don't mind paying more if the football is good but the competition is very weak. With most of the good teams moving up a few years ago, the FCS has gotten watered down. Last week, I got an email from University of Minnesota promoting their season tickets for next year and their highest and lowest prices levels were cheaper than NDSU. Now you can debate who is better between Gophers and Bison. However, watching the Gophers play Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State is still better than the teams that NDSU plays. I like seeing the Bison win but I also want to see some good games. You should not have quarterfinal games where the Bison are favored by almost 30 points. It tells me there is no competition at the FCS level.

Agree or disagree it is hard to argue with you on your points made. Wouldn't it be great if NDSU and SDSU could find their ways into the Big 12 north. I said last week that I thought Colgate would beat JMU and I was hoping so just to see somebody different come to the dome. I hate to be a sore winner but I too am getting tired of the lack of competition and few true quality FCS teams remain. (careful what I fish for???, Maybe).

As for the the crowds, there are so many old ladies draped in bison hoodies, beads and gear that are there for the ride along. Many people who never even knew bison football existed fill the seats today (a good thing of course) but, not a lot of noise and excitement in the stands. It comes with the success of a team in a small market with no other competition for the sports dollar.

fmfantasy
12-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Bison games aren't even Football games anymore..

its a 90 minute comedy/globetrotters show followed by a 90 minute funeral...

All of my friends now say the games are to boring. I myself enjoy laughing at the pathetic teams that come here and enjoy a good ass kicking.... but then the second half comes and the Bison wander in from their Halftime nap and go through the motions while everyone else has left.

Can we maybe get some trick plays or Easton has this bucket that everyone thinks is full of water and then throws it at the crowd and its confetti!!! now that would at least make these games more fun and sell some tickets...

Vet70
12-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Agree or disagree it is hard to argue with you on your points made. Wouldn't it be great if NDSU and SDSU could find their ways into the Big 12 north. I said last week that I thought Colgate would beat JMU and I was hoping so just to see somebody different come to the dome. I hate to be a sore winner but I too am getting tired of the lack of competition and few true quality FCS teams remain. (careful what I fish for???, Maybe).

As for the the crowds, there are so many old ladies draped in bison hoodies, beads and gear that are there for the ride along. Many people who never even knew bison football existed fill the seats today (a good thing of course) but, not a lot of noise and excitement in the stands. It comes with the success of a team in a small market with no other competition for the sports dollar.

Some of those "old ladies" were Bison football fans before you were probably born. :rofl:

BISON Thunder
12-03-2018, 01:50 PM
The trolling is fantastic on this thread.

Professorbum
12-03-2018, 01:51 PM
So you're saying you want to go to the Sun Belt. Tell me what kind of "great competition" you're going to get there.

The person to whom I was responding was talking about the AAC.

I was just saying that there are FBS schools similarly sized or smaller. But speaking of the Sunbelt, yes... App State, Georgia Southern, Troy, and all the non-conference FBS games we'd play are preferable to Western Illinois, Youngstown State, etc. The only FCS team I care much about is SDSU, but that's because they're a border state rival and usually pretty good.

KNOW IT ALL
12-03-2018, 01:52 PM
The trolling is fantastic on this thread.

No trolling here, been a bison fan since the 1970's. "If your not moving forward your going backward"!!!

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 01:53 PM
One thing I have learned about this whole "move to FBS" thing is that the people most in favor rarely leave Fargo for a game.

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Wouldn't it be great if NDSU and SDSU could find their ways into the Big 12 north

Get UND and USD to drop football and a hypothetical path for this becomes a possibility, at least.

fmfantasy
12-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Or I wonder what the attendance would be for say a Indiana state game if they banned tailgating that day? 9500? I think a lot of people enjoy the tailgating-socializing aspect and the game is an afterthought. I bet we all know people who tailgate and then don't even go to the game if they are offered a free ticket..

KNOW IT ALL
12-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Let me also say; If you truly believe beating Incarnate Word, Soutwest Corner of the Northwest Corner of Illinois State, Fairyland University and others is Divison I you are a true Homer. WE ARE NOT DIVISION I, WE ARE DIVISION II. We do not teach our kids to count:

1, 1AA, 3, 4, 5. I love what the Bison have accomplished, lets move forward. Bison Fan either way, just want to move full steam ahead.!!!!

Rock
12-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Get UND and USD to drop football and a hypothetical path for this becomes a possibility, at least.

This is a good year to float the idea. Remind the hockey fans what it could mean to their program!

23Bison
12-03-2018, 02:01 PM
I don't mind some of the valley teams. There is excitement (for me anyways) playing SDSU, UNI (because I hate Farley that much), Ill St R, and Western Ill because for the most part those are the teams that seem to be more competitive consistently. I will not include YSU because Pollini (spelling) is a dork. What I hate about most of these schools is that when you see them on TV at THEIR place the stands have 7, 7 freaking people of their own fans. We can't control their fan base and I'm not saying that G5 fan bases are much better (I see you MAC) but even for them to have the #1 team come into town doesn't draw a crowed. Sad really.

SDbison
12-03-2018, 02:04 PM
I guess I didn't realize it was up that long. Once I knew the numbers weren't mine I stopped paying attention. Was less then 400 numbers off though so I've got that going for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk The 50-50 raffle vendors in the parking lot need to up their game. They seem to miss our tailgate group of 40 people more and more as the season progresses. Need to keep the prize above $25,000.

KNOW IT ALL
12-03-2018, 02:08 PM
One thing I have learned about this whole "move to FBS" thing is that the people most in favor rarely leave Fargo for a game.

OH BOY, such a super fan because you have nothing else in your life to do with your free time. GUESS what; on any given fall saturday, I watch an entire Bison Game while drinking 4-5 beers in the comfort of my setting, I catch a limit of walleye, maybe shoot a deer with my bow or go get a few pheasants as well. Yes, all in the time you drive to the Dome in your hero attire, sit in the stands with a diet coke claiming to be a super fan, only to drive back home and go to bed that evening having not really accomplished a fn thing. Hmmm, YOU WIN I GUESS!!!! LOL.

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 02:10 PM
OH BOY, such a super fan because you have nothing else in your life to do with your free time. GUESS what; on any given fall saturday, I watch an entire Bison Game while drinking 4-5 beers in the comfort of my setting, I catch a limit of walleye, maybe shoot a deer with my bow or go get a few pheasants as well. Yes, all in the time you drive to the Dome in your hero attire, sit in the stands with a diet coke claiming to be a super fan, only to drive back home and go to bed that evening having not really accomplished a fn thing. Hmmm, YOU WIN I GUESS!!!! LOL.

I only drove to the dome once this year and it took me 14 hours. You probably did a lot more than that.

SDbison
12-03-2018, 02:12 PM
This is one of the best Bison teams ever. The fans have been great early in games but it's tough to get fired up when a game is over half way through the 2nd quarter. That's fine.

As far as attendance goes, the game would have sold out had students showed up. The students just dont seem to care and apparently there aren't enough fans to pick up the slack of unclaimed tickets with 4 days notice. Or else people dont know.

Also weather had been working against us. October weather was more like December. Casual fans dont tailgate when its below freezing I dont get it........why is it some so called fans need the Bison to be losing before they make some noise? Actually the more we kick the other teams butt the more I and other fans around me get into it. One thing I don't like is the extra vanilla offense when the Bison get up by 30 or so. Why not put the entire second unit in and let them pass and run. The repeat dive play by the starters until the other team stops us gets really old.

SDbison
12-03-2018, 02:32 PM
No trolling here, been a bison fan since the 1970's. "If your not moving forward your going backward"!!! If the FBS move doesn't happen while NDSU is in this extended dynasty mode it will never happen. Many fans are getting so used to winning they think it just happens. They have no idea what it takes to stay at the top. Then again, I agree once you are at the top for a long time and there is another level above a move up needs to be made. The complacency thing will eventually get to the Bison football program if nothing changes.

Bison56
12-03-2018, 03:02 PM
If the FBS move doesn't happen while NDSU is in this extended dynasty mode it will never happen. Many fans are getting so used to winning they think it just happens. They have no idea what it takes to stay at the top. Then again, I agree once you are at the top for a long time and there is another level above a move up needs to be made. The complacency thing will eventually get to the Bison football program if nothing changes.

How many more trips to Frisco before that isn't a sellout anymore?

roadwarrior
12-03-2018, 03:05 PM
So far NDSU has refused a grand total of zero FBS conference invites. The only one that looks attractive is the Mountain West. They have 12 members for football. Extremely unlikely to add another team unless one leaves the conference.

El_Chapo
12-03-2018, 03:09 PM

^^ AMEN fans are smart, NDSU is overmatching every team and program in this pud division!!!

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Tell me what bowl games sell out.
How many more trips to Frisco before that isn't a sellout anymore?

DM05
12-03-2018, 03:26 PM
The arguments for moving up never change; the arguments for staying put never change. Nothing will until a G5 conference is looking to add a member; anyone know if the MAC or Mountain West are looking to expand, because I haven't heard any rumors. Or is the pro-FBS crowd ok with making the move as an independent?

Until that time, the only thing we can do is keep NDSU in good position to be an attractive invite. Change do shit about our location, which is probably the biggest single component. Keep donations high, keep paying good coaches, keep supporting athletics, look into potential options for expanding the dome capacity (as they have been doing), and (honestly, least important) keep winning football games.

Professorbum
12-03-2018, 03:41 PM
So far NDSU has refused a grand total of zero FBS conference invites. The only one that looks attractive is the Mountain West. They have 12 members for football. Extremely unlikely to add another team unless one leaves the conference.

Invites don't usually come out of thin air. What is being done to secure one? I honestly want to know. If NDSU has asked 2 or 3 different conferences to look at them and all the conferences told us "no way in hell", then NDSU needs to tell the fans that. But they haven't told us that. NDSU hasn't told us what efforts have been made to move to FBS, only to have those efforts rebuffed. Hence, I have no reason to believe those efforts have been made.

DM05
12-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Invites don't usually come out of thin air. What is being done to secure one? I honestly want to know. If NDSU has asked 2 or 3 different conferences to look at them and all the conferences told us "no way in hell", then NDSU needs to tell the fans that. But they haven't told us that. NDSU hasn't told us what efforts have been made to move to FBS, only to have those efforts rebuffed. Hence, I have no reason to believe those efforts have been made.

Matthew.Larson@ndsu.edu
701-231-8985

Let us know what the athletic director says has been done in regards to begging FBS conferences to take us.

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 03:58 PM
The arguments for moving up never change; the arguments for staying put never change. Nothing will until a G5 conference is looking to add a member; anyone know if the MAC or Mountain West are looking to expand, because I haven't heard any rumors. Or is the pro-FBS crowd ok with making the move as an independent?

Until that time, the only thing we can do is keep NDSU in good position to be an attractive invite. Change do shit about our location, which is probably the biggest single component. Keep donations high, keep paying good coaches, keep supporting athletics, look into potential options for expanding the dome capacity (as they have been doing), and (honestly, least important) keep winning football games.

The Sun Belt is basically a bunch of formerly FCS or IAA schools that want to be FBS in name only but don't want to spend the 50-60 million dollars to be in a legitimate conference.

If you want to be FBS in name only, that's your chance. You'll never again be the best in the division and we'll never be notable again.

JMUVtFan
12-03-2018, 04:06 PM

That tiny stadium barely holds more than 20k. Selling it out isn't saying a whole lot. There are bowl games that have way larger crowds...and smaller too though.

Regardless of where NDSU is in 5/10/15 years, they need to pick a better venue for that championship game. I can't believe they were stupid enough to sign yet another contract for that place until 2020.

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 04:09 PM
That tiny stadium barely holds more than 20k. Selling it out isn't saying a whole lot. There are bowl games that have way larger crowds...and smaller too though.

Regardless of where NDSU is in 5/10/15 years, they need to pick a better venue for that championship game. I can't believe they were stupid enough to sign yet another contract for that place until 2020.

It's fine. Never had a problem getting a ticket and always loved the area.

JMUVtFan
12-03-2018, 04:15 PM
It's fine. Never had a problem getting a ticket and always loved the area.

JMU fans had a lot of trouble getting tickets last year. We don't yet have the 'confidence' to purchase our tickets months in advance :)

Kujava23
12-03-2018, 04:18 PM

BOWL GAMES SUCK!!! 90% do not sell out; in fact a lot of universities LOSE money cause of bowl games--take entire team, staff, band--etc for a week

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 04:24 PM
JMU fans had a lot of trouble getting tickets last year. We don't yet have the 'confidence' to purchase our tickets months in advance :)

That's not the venue's fault.

stevdock
12-03-2018, 04:28 PM
With the FBS talk at least you guys are talking about conference invites. Without that, you can't move as you can't be an independent. But even with the Mountain West and the MAC are those good fits for us?? I firmly believe that a lot of UND's money problems was having to deal with the Big Sky travel for all sports. Is NDSU in a place where they can handle that financially for all sports? And are some of the conference invites not happening because of lack of success and support for basketball right now?

Vet70
12-03-2018, 04:31 PM

What is being done to secure an invite? Nothing. It is not a mystery. The AD and President have both stated several times that there will not be a move to FBS under the current landscape and that NDSU will play at the second tier whatever that may be.

Burnt_Secondary
12-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Just an FYI, I had a few conversations this week with people that have quit trying to get tickets just assuming everything is always a sellout. I informed them that playoff games, especially the early ones have tickets available. They were shocked. I have a feeling that this is very common.

I know I wait for the playoffs to take my son to the games without relying on season ticket holders to help me out. That place would be full every playoff games with the right communications.

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 04:35 PM
What is being done to secure an invite? Nothing. It is not a mystery. The AD and President have both stated several times that there will not be a move to FBS under the current landscape and that NDSU will play at the second tier whatever that may be.

Which is the smartest way to handle it. There is absolutely nothing of value to be gained from moving up to be one of the lowest resourced in a division where you can never compete.

BattleBorn
12-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Hey I have an idea... Let's build a new 50,000 seat stadium and move up to the Big 10. Burgum can pay for it with all that Microsoft money.

Being a Bison fan is awesome. "We kick everyone's asses so hard it's not even fun anymore."

Son of a Bison
12-03-2018, 04:54 PM
The 50-50 raffle vendors in the parking lot need to up their game. They seem to miss our tailgate group of 40 people more and more as the season progresses. Need to keep the prize above $25,000.

They stopped by our place more than once. They were working the east side concourse entrance lines hard too as they could only sell them in the concourse due to NCAA. Next week will be the test with earlier kickoff and assumed shorter/smaller tailgate for some.

Just make sure the semifinal winner is not a Jack (assuming they don’t fumble it away)!

JMUVtFan
12-03-2018, 05:01 PM
That's not the venue's fault.

It's not the venue's fault that tickets aren't available because they were sold out every where? I'll have to disagree on that one. If the venue can't fit the crowd, maybe it isn't the best selection.

TAILG8R
12-03-2018, 05:11 PM

So you're saying we need to start a campaign to get one of those teams into another conference?

TAILG8R
12-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Matthew.Larson@ndsu.edu
701-231-8985

Let us know what the athletic director says has been done in regards to begging FBS conferences to take us.

Let me paraphrase his response: "We like were we are at right now and feel NDSU is in the best division for NDSU."

TAILG8R
12-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Just an FYI, I had a few conversations this week with people that have quit trying to get tickets just assuming everything is always a sellout. I informed them that playoff games, especially the early ones have tickets available. They were shocked. I have a feeling that this is very common.

I know I wait for the playoffs to take my son to the games without relying on season ticket holders to help me out. That place would be full every playoff games with the right communications.

I run across this from time to time. I often wonder how many of those that are shocked there are tickets out there would actually buy them. I think people like the idea of NDSU being so popular and so good hat no one can get tickets. That mentality spreads throughout the community and it's fun to talk about in social circles but anyone that really wanted to go to a game would already know they are available for face value every single week.

Facts
12-03-2018, 05:26 PM

True, but how many conference invites did we have when we moved from D2 to D1AA?

stevdock
12-03-2018, 05:28 PM
I run across this from time to time. I often wonder how many of those that are shocked there are tickets out there would actually buy them. I think people like the idea of NDSU being so popular and so good hat no one can get tickets. That mentality spreads throughout the community and it's fun to talk about in social circles but anyone that really wanted to go to a game would already know they are available for face value every single week.

NDSU's website was a little wacky last week though. I checked right away when they became available and it said nothing available. I checked later and the best that I could get was Section 12 at the top.

We don't have season tickets but have missed very few games and none to not being able to get tickets. NDSU's playoff ticket selling changes every year though. I wish they would communicate more with what they will be selling. Some years they release the south end zone immediately and sometimes they don't. It is really frustrating how inconsistent it is, especially we've had playoff home games now for a few years. I would think it's a well oiled machine by now but it changes every year.

TAILG8R
12-03-2018, 05:31 PM
NDSU's website was a little wacky last week though. I checked right away when they became available and it said nothing available. I checked later and the best that I could get was Section 12 at the top.

We don't have season tickets but have missed very few games and none to not being able to get tickets. NDSU's playoff ticket selling changes every year though. I wish they would communicate more with what they will be selling. Some years they release the south end zone immediately and sometimes they don't. It is really frustrating how inconsistent it is, especially we've had playoff home games now for a few years. I would think it's a well oiled machine by now but it changes every year.

I think they also rely on the media making mention of it during their sports portion of the nightly news. Who watches that anymore? And without detail simply saying "There are still tickets available for Saturday's game" doesn't drive anyone to buy.

KNOW IT ALL
12-03-2018, 05:33 PM
When you are Class B your goal is to someday compete with and beat Class A, If you aren't moving forward your dying.

Facts
12-03-2018, 05:33 PM

We currently play in the 3rd tier right?
P5
G5
FCS

23Bison
12-03-2018, 05:41 PM
P5
G5
FCS

I agree with this.

Vet70
12-03-2018, 05:43 PM
P5
G5
FCS

P5 and G5 are still both considered Division 1 or FBS if you prefer.

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 05:46 PM
P5 and G5 are still both considered Division 1 or FBS if you prefer.

G5 is just FCS with no championship and double the budget.

Damn that sounds fun doesn't it?

23Bison
12-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Well lets just double the budget and get to play P5 teams 3-4 times a season while still playing top 25 competition in conference. AAC and MW are doing that at the moment.

roadwarrior
12-03-2018, 05:55 PM
So you're saying we need to start a campaign to get one of those teams into another conference?

Yes. Hawaii is a football only member. So let's get them to join the PAC 12.

oldmantutters
12-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Yes. Hawaii is a football only member. So let's get them to join the PAC 12.

Dang! Can we get in as a football only member? MWC would be of interest to me but only as a football only member, otherwise I suppose I vote for staying put but starting to put more resources towards MBB (new coach).

roadwarrior
12-03-2018, 06:18 PM
We could use the argument that flying to Fargo would be closer than flying all the way to Hawaii.

bisonfanette
12-03-2018, 06:20 PM

From now on, for playoffs, I think you can bet that sections 10-12 will be available right away. If you select tickets using the MAP, & use your cursor, you may see some tickets that are in lower rows. I saw low rows in section 12 yesterday. Looks like ticket sales are closed now.... I hope that means they sold all of them to the top, in sections 10-12!

KNOW IT ALL
12-03-2018, 06:21 PM
G5 is just FCS with no championship and double the budget.

Damn that sounds fun doesn't it?

G5 is Division 1, FCS is Division 2, Yes, there is a difference. Its ok to admit we are the greatest division 2 football program in history, championships are championships.

Professorbum
12-03-2018, 06:26 PM
With the FBS talk at least you guys are talking about conference invites. Without that, you can't move as you can't be an independent. But even with the Mountain West and the MAC are those good fits for us?? I firmly believe that a lot of UND's money problems was having to deal with the Big Sky travel for all sports. Is NDSU in a place where they can handle that financially for all sports? And are some of the conference invites not happening because of lack of success and support for basketball right now?

Liberty moved up as an independent. Current football independents include Liberty, Army, UMASS, NMSU, BYU, and Notre Dame. Heck, that's practically a conference's worth of a schedule right there. Notre Dame doesn't need us, but those other teams would schedule us. I'd certainly enjoy seing us play NMSU, Army, and BYU. The other upside would be that when conference slots open up, we'd already be FBS so there'd be none of the snobbery from a prospective conference about not wanting to take an FCS team into the fold.

Bison 4 Life
12-03-2018, 06:28 PM
G5 is Division 1, FCS is Division 2, Yes, there is a difference. Its ok to admit we are the greatest division 2 football program in history, championships are championships.

Division 2 is Division 2. Stop shitting all over these athletes by disrespecting their accomplishment.

Northwest Missouri State is Division 2.

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Couple points since this discussion came up here:

1. The G5 will never split from the P5. When the playoff goes to 8, the G5 will have a seat at the table. At that point, any G5 team has a hypothetical route to a natty. So please stop using the fabled ‘split’ as a reason for anything, cuz it ain’t happening.

2. Stadium size is a nonissue and the dome is fine. In light of current attendance trends, the minimum attendance rule is a complete joke and everyone knows it. Better to have a smaller stadium that is full and loud - with demand for seats - than a large stadium that is empty and quiet. The attendance rule is just another dumb manifestation of what D1 football has become in this ridiculous bowl system.

So if you are going to argue against the FBS crowd, at least use facts. I’m happy either way as long as the program is flourishing. Right now, it is flourishing at the FCS level. Where will it be in 10 years? To me, this is the question, and you sure as hell better be thinking about it right now.

Anybody catch the MWC title game in Boise? Great game. Must admit I couldn’t help but wonder what a MWC title game in the dome would look like. Would it be rockin if we played another top 25 team for a MWC title? I would certainly hope so, but who knows.

In terms of the XDSU’s hypothetical move to FBS, here is the biggest issue – the combined population of both Dakota’s is roughly half the population of Kansas. Chew on that for a bit and get back to me. With the current structure of ND higher ed, there is no way for NDSU to go FBS. If you are serious about this, then change the look of higher ed in your state, because it currently puts a default ceiling on every school, and a low one at that.

Rant over

NDSUstudent
12-03-2018, 06:31 PM

An MWC schedule would be a lot more exciting during conference play, for one these schools actually have fans and are similar to us. Plus the MWC has some really good programs like Boise and Fresno...That said, not sure how we ever get an invite.

That said if we would have needed an MVFC invite before leaving DII, we would never have left. Sometimes to you have to build towards the ideal fit. Honestly, I wouldn't be against taking a group of FCS schools and building a new G5 conference.

Mr Meaty
12-03-2018, 06:32 PM
I think they also rely on the media making mention of it during their sports portion of the nightly news. Who watches that anymore? And without detail simply saying "There are still tickets available for Saturday's game" doesn't drive anyone to buy.

I watched KVLY sports last week and never once heard if tickets still available. I know most people want to be spoon fed the information about tickets. But it does need to be known. Also let it be known outside the metro area. Those are the fans more hungry to go to a game.

PS I am not blaming KVLY in anyway. But they are our partner and NDSU should inform them.

Professorbum
12-03-2018, 06:33 PM
Division 2 is Division 2. Stop shitting all over these athletes by disrespecting their accomplishment.

That's not what he's doing. We generally distinguished between divisions by the number of scholarship athletes. D2 requires fewer scholarships than FCS. FCS requires fewer scholarships than FBS. G5 and P5 require the same minimum number of scholarships. It is obviously not a slight against our outstanding athletes, scholarship and non-scholarship, to acknowledge the difference in tiers.

GCWaters
12-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Liberty moved up as an independent. Current football independents include Liberty, Army, UMASS, NMSU, BYU, and Notre Dame. Heck, that's practically a conference's worth of a schedule right there. Notre Dame doesn't need us, but those other teams would schedule us. I'd certainly enjoy seing us play NMSU, Army, and BYU. The other upside would be that when conference slots open up, we'd already be FBS so there'd be none of the snobbery from a prospective conference about not wanting to take an FCS team into the fold.

Other times, other rules...not allowed anymore...

Professorbum
12-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Other times, other rules...not allowed anymore...

Liberty just announced moving up last year. I think the same rules were in place. They got a waiver. No reason we can't get one.

23Bison
12-03-2018, 06:42 PM
An MWC schedule would be a lot more exciting during conference play, for one these schools actually have fans and are similar to us. Plus the MWC has some really good programs like Boise and Fresno...That said, not sure how we ever get an invite.

That said if we would have needed an MVFC invite before leaving DII, we would never have left. Sometimes to you have to build towards the ideal fit. Honestly, I wouldn't be against taking a group of FCS schools and building a new G5 conference.

I think a MW schedule would be a lot more exciting with the obvious teams like Boise and Fresno this year. Utah State has been very solid the last few years and it would be interest to see how old Bohly does bringing his hard nosed Pokes to town in the University of Wyoming. Fort Collins to play Colarado State would be a nice place to make a road trip to during season. UNLV always has VEGAS.

Bison bison
12-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Dude.

It's the seven year itch.

Need to shake things up or I'm going to be unfaithful.

Not my fault. It's science!

Professor Chaos
12-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Dude.

It's the seven year itch.

Need to shake things up or I'm going to be unfaithful.

Not my fault. It's science!
Are you saying that if the dome nazis started allowing "butt stuff" more fans would buy tickets and/or stay longer???

thebootfitter
12-03-2018, 07:09 PM

That's not what he's doing. We generally distinguished between divisions by the number of scholarship athletes. D2 requires fewer scholarships than FCS. FCS requires fewer scholarships than FBS. G5 and P5 require the same minimum number of scholarships. It is obviously not a slight against our outstanding athletes, scholarship and non-scholarship, to acknowledge the difference in tiers.
Division I includes both FBS and FCS. Anyone claiming FCS is Division II is either intentionally or ignorantly being disrespectful of the athletes and program. D2 is D2. Scholarships are one distinguishing feature, but not the only.

The truth is that NDSU can compete on the football field with any team in the country. There's only a small handful of teams that might be able to run up the score on them, but even that is questionable. If they played top-25 teams week after week, they probably wouldn't be undefeated, but they would be respected. And that's with their current D-I scholarship levels. Give them FBS-level schollies, and they could probably still up their game a bit more.

SDbison
12-03-2018, 07:32 PM

That said if we would have needed an MVFC invite before leaving DII, we would never have left. Sometimes to you have to build towards the ideal fit. Honestly, I wouldn't be against taking a group of FCS schools and building a new G5 conference. If MWC cannot happen in next 5 years I hope there is someone out there looking at creating a new G5 conference. A good start would be NDSU, SDSU, Montana & Montana State. All with 18,000 plus capacity stadiums, good teams and decent fan bases.

Vet70
12-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Division I includes both FBS and FCS. Anyone claiming FCS is Division II is either intentionally or ignorantly being disrespectful of the athletes and program. D2 is D2. Scholarships are one distinguishing feature, but not the only.

The truth is that NDSU can compete on the football field with any team in the country. There's only a small handful of teams that might be able to run up the score on them, but even that is questionable. If they played top-25 teams week after week, they probably wouldn't be undefeated, but they would be respected. And that's with their current D-I scholarship levels. Give them FBS-level schollies, and they could probably still up their game a bit more.

I feel a "We Want Bama" coming on. :biggrin:

SDbison
12-03-2018, 07:35 PM
I feel a "We Want Bama" coming on. :biggrin: Why not? How about an extra game after championship games.......FCS winner vs. FBS winner. Could be Alabama vs. NDSU.

23Bison
12-03-2018, 07:46 PM
I feel a "We Want Bama" coming on. :biggrin:

Why not? All of these other sh*tty FCS teams get to play them. I'm not saying we'd win by any means but may be competitive, for a little bit anyways. Look at this year, the Crimson Tide were actually losing to the Citadel close to halftime.

thebootfitter
12-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Why not? All of these other sh*tty FCS teams get to play them. I'm not saying we'd win by any means but may be competitive, for a little bit anyways. Look at this year, the Crimson Tide were actually losing to the Citadel close to halftime.
I don't expect that we'd win either. But I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if we did. Talking to some former players, it sounds like the players would love such an opportunity. They fully expect that they'd be able to win.

SC_TX
12-03-2018, 07:56 PM
NDSU could definitely be more competitive vs Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame than teams like Ole Miss, Pitt, Wake Forest, Louisiana etc.

And I'm sure the players would be up for it. They'll never admit it, but they would much rather get a shot at a top FBS team than just pulvzerize random FCS teams from around the country.

MankatoBison
12-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Until G5 Can get into the Playoff, G5 is DII.

P5- DI
G5- DII Until they can get into the playoff.
FCS- DIII
D2-D4
D3- D5

the arguments that we should or shouldnt move up are what they are, but I shake my head when Matt Larsen says we want to be in the 2nd tier... Matt.... We're fricken 3rd tier in reality.
P5 plays for the real championship
G5 plays for their championship- the fiesta bowl (until the playoff expands they are NOT playing for the real championship)
We play for the FCS championship
and so on

Dont let my 3rd tier comment make you think I think NDSU is little league- its not. We'd crack skulls at every level and I'm damn proud of it, but our league is absolutely not 2nd tier.. .its 3rd

SC_TX
12-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Let me paraphrase his response: "We like were we are at right now and feel NDSU is in the best division for NDSU."

The time to go would be now. Strike while the iron is hot. Don't wait a few years for the inevitable decline to jump. Ideally you would want no drop before joining FBS, so the program can continue to grow upward.

MankatoBison
12-03-2018, 08:10 PM
The time to go would be now. Strike while the iron is hot. Don't wait a few years for the inevitable decline to jump. Ideally you would want no drop before joining FBS, so the program can continue to grow upward.

People were saying that after 2011/2012

"lets see if you're still thinking about FBS after a few 7-8 win seasons. there NO WAY we will win...say... 6/7 and no F*CKING way we win 7/8 championships in a row or anything absolutely impossible and unprecedented like that" ~paraphrasing of course

SC_TX
12-03-2018, 08:12 PM
People were saying that after 2011/2012

"lets see if you're still thinking about FBS after a few 7-8 win seasons. there NO WAY we will win...say... 6/7 and no F*CKING way we win 7/8 championships in a row or anything absolutely impossible and unprecedented like that" ~paraphrasing of course

That was too early. About 2 years ago would've been better than now actually. Capitalize on the Carson Wentz momentum.

MankatoBison
12-03-2018, 08:38 PM
That was too early. About 2 years ago would've been better than now actually. Capitalize on the Carson Wentz momentum.

Agree, It just humorous that about 90% of the people who were saying "there's no way this success is sustainable, so pump the brakes on FBS" are still saying it today.

Doesnt make FBS a good or bad idea, just makes that particular argument against FBS very silly and wholly obsolete

thunderingherd
12-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Why not? How about an extra game after championship games.......FCS winner vs. FBS winner. Could be Alabama vs. NDSU.

How about and extra game vs Texas A&M Commerce (2017 DivII champion)? FCS winner vs. DivII winner.

thebootfitter
12-03-2018, 08:52 PM
How about and extra game vs Texas A&M Commerce (2017 DivII champion)? FCS winner vs. DivII winner.
I'm sure you're joking, but the difference is that one has a realistic chance at being a decent game. The other... not so much.

Vet70
12-03-2018, 09:05 PM
For posters who keep beating the FBS drum, it is an exercise in futility. In will not happen anytime in the near future. In the meantime:
https://i.imgur.com/IXbuNwu.png

thunderingherd
12-03-2018, 09:15 PM
I'm sure you're joking, but the difference is that one has a realistic chance at being a decent game. The other... not so much.

It's the same logic an Alabama fan reading that would have. they'd assume the person posting it was joking.

fmfantasy
12-03-2018, 09:21 PM
If MWC cannot happen in next 5 years I hope there is someone out there looking at creating a new G5 conference. A good start would be NDSU, SDSU, Montana & Montana State. All with 18,000 plus capacity stadiums, good teams and decent fan bases.

This is the way to go... take the 6 ND-SD-MT schools add in in eastern Washington and a couple of the IL schools and move up. then schedule in 3-4 other OOC FBS games and fight for the conference title and winner goes to a bowl game every year.. If they kick ass there and adapt then we move to a better conference or in a perfect position to compete if the P5 breaks away. or if the FBS expands to 16 teams and every conference champ gets in... we would have all the rivalries we actually care about.. none of those eastern or southern FCS schools add one bit to our schedule or sell even a single extra ticket..

At what point 9/10 15/16 does it not even feel like an accomplishment? Id rather watch them lose a close one to BYU, Boise or Wyoming this weekend then beat Colgate by 52...

23Bison
12-03-2018, 09:31 PM
It's the same logic an Alabama fan reading that would have. they'd assume the person posting it was joking.

Well most Bama fans would think that way and then some will say hey, we were actually losing to Citadel at half. Even if they were playing like shit they were still losing to Citadel and we are not The Citadel. Again I'm not saying that we would win but it would be a decent game and fun to watch.

wisco4
12-03-2018, 09:34 PM
https://thetandd.com/sports/clemson/football/clemson-football-swinney-clarifies-statement-about-leaving-program/article_89b5fa59-1a97-5015-a03c-37887d6efd46.html

ZHerd
12-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Well most Bama fans would think that way and then some will say hey, we were actually losing to Citadel at half. Even if they were playing like shit they were still losing to Citadel and we are not The Citadel. Again I'm not saying that we would win but it would be a decent game and fun to watch.

If it happened right now with current rosters, people would surprised at how competitive that game would be. NDSU would bring it.

thebootfitter
12-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Yep. Knowledgeable football fans that actually pay attention would be intrigued by this match-up, knowing that if Alabama didn't bring their A-game, they could be in for a surprise. But chances are that Saban wouldn't let the players sleep on NDSU as an opponent, and they'd be prepared. In which case, Alabama would likely end up ahead at the end of the game. But anyone that thinks NDSU wouldn't put up a fight -- especially with a team like this year's -- isn't paying attention.

thunderingherd
12-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Yep. Knowledgeable football fans that actually pay attention would be intrigued by this match-up, knowing that if Alabama didn't bring their A-game, they could be in for a surprise. But chances are that Saban wouldn't let the players sleep on NDSU as an opponent, and they'd be prepared. In which case, Alabama would likely end up ahead at the end of the game. But anyone that thinks NDSU wouldn't put up a fight -- especially with a team like this year's -- isn't paying attention.

I agree with everything you said here.

fmfantasy
12-03-2018, 11:09 PM
I would say NDSU is very talented but the gap from us to Alabama would be huge.. the gap from them to the 5-6 team in the country is massive. They start at least 16-20 NFL draft picks and 4-6 of them are first rounders... NDSU has Jabril and Stick and maybe a RB or lineman that would get drafted? seriously Would anyone other than Cox make their two deep? would he even? they got a safety about Cox size and he is projected to go top 10..

thebootfitter
12-03-2018, 11:26 PM
I would say NDSU is very talented but the gap from us to Alabama would be huge.. the gap from them to the 5-6 team in the country is massive. They start at least 16-20 NFL draft picks and 4-6 of them are first rounders... NDSU has Jabril and Stick and maybe a RB or lineman that would get drafted? seriously Would anyone other than Cox make their two deep? would he even? they got a safety about Cox size and he is projected to go top 10..
Agreed! There is a huge talent gap. I still think NDSU wouldn't be embarrassed on the same field as Alabama.

23Bison
12-04-2018, 12:33 AM
Obviously the conference thing is out of our control as fans for the most part but what can us fans do more of to increase revenue for the football program? Are there any creative ways to increase money flow that could be brought up to the athletic department/team makers? I’m not talking about donating a months worth of income here. I know I’m going to get heckled with “donate more” I’m talking about getting the people that aren’t donating now involved.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-04-2018, 01:11 AM

Holy crap, sounds like Bobcat fans before they played us. Yeah, I thing some of our fans are getting ahead of ourselves.

fmfantasy
12-04-2018, 01:18 AM
Obviously the conference thing is out of our control as fans for the most part but what can us fans do more of to increase revenue for the football program? Are there any creative ways to increase money flow that could be brought up to the athletic department/team makers? I’m not talking about donating a months worth of income here. I know I’m going to get heckled with “donate more” I’m talking about getting the people that aren’t donating now involved.

probably not without making old timers mad... obviously alcohol sales and raise ticket prices in the lower deck.. reopen season tickets and sell seat licenses like the Vikings.. price them according to market value not just who has been on the list the longest or went to school there. also would love to see what the prices are on those few suites.. likely giving them away to people who had them back in 94...

What NDSU really lacks is a big time Alumni who invented Twitter or bought Bitcoin at 3 bucks...

NDSU German from Russia
12-04-2018, 01:19 AM
I couldn't agree more with the original post.

The atmosphere in the FargoDome is equivalent to a castrated steer wallowing in it's own feces.

In the past (4) years i've been yelled at least (5) times for whistling or yelling "to loud" during the game (by fellow BISON fans); WTF?!

We are on the 50 yard line, visitor side, up high.

I'm a NDSU alumni, season ticket holder, team maker, and academic scholarship sponsor.

Long story short, I moved from ND to western NC. I'm now in the heart of SEC and ACC football action. I have (10) ACC & SEC stadiums within 6 hour drive and couldn't be happier.

I'm giving up my season tickets. I love the Bison, but for the money and access I'll pay the $$ to see other venues and traditions around the country.

yes, the FargoDome atmosphere is now nothing like it was for the !original! Georgia Southern game.

sorry/not sorry about the rant.

wake the _uck up Bison fans!

Vet70
12-04-2018, 01:20 AM
Who started this "We want Bama" crap anyway?

23Bison
12-04-2018, 01:26 AM
The Fargo Forum:biggrin:

GreenfieldBison
12-04-2018, 01:27 AM
probably not without making old timers mad... obviously alcohol sales and raise ticket prices in the lower deck.. reopen season tickets and sell seat licenses like the Vikings.. price them according to market value not just who has been on the list the longest or went to school there. also would love to see what the prices are on those few suites.. likely giving them away to people who had them back in 94...

What NDSU really lacks is a big time Alumni who invented Twitter or bought Bitcoin at 3 bucks...

You mean like Doug Burgum? I think his family and he have given generously to the university. Note that there is a building on campus named “Burgum Hall”

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-04-2018, 01:56 AM
take the 6 ND-SD-MT schools

Except only 2 of those programs are FBS quality, so no thanks

GCWaters
12-04-2018, 01:56 AM
You mean like Doug Burgum? I think his family and he have given generously to the university. Note that there is a building on campus named “Burgum Hall”

https://www.ndsu.edu/alphaindex/buildings/Building::320

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-04-2018, 02:00 AM
If you look at our current situation from the outside in, we look pretty silly complaining about being too successful and playing in the FCS. Yeah, some of the games may be boring, but we need to look at it from a few different perspectives.

First, we need to look at it from another teams perspective. How many other teams in the FCS would love to be in our shoes? There isn't another team in the FCS who has, or has had, seen our level of success, and I don't think we are close to being done. Every other program in the country would give their left nut to be where we are at. I don't think we should be taking it for granted.

Second, down the road, in the distant future, how are we as fans going to remember these years of Bison football? I was a student in the late 80's when we had some very kick ass teams. Many of those games were blowouts as well. In '88 we went undefeated and cruised to a national title. Now, some 30+ years later, how do I view those years as a student and Bison fan? I don't remember the games as being blowouts and boring. I remember with fondness and pride crushing every team that was unfortunate enough to have to play us. I have recalled these memories with fondness and pride to my son (now a NDSU student) and have instilled in him sense of pride of what it means to be a Bison. In short, it was a great time in Bison football history and I remember it as such.

I know in the past I have been somewhat critical of our competition and the division that we currently play in, but in the big scheme of things, that is a selfish way to view our current situation. We all need to take a step back and appreciate this run for what it is. An unprecedented run that probably will never be duplicated in the future. I think we all need to chill out and quit complaining about stuff that none of us has the power to control or change. In other words, "enjoy the season."

wagsabison
12-04-2018, 02:20 AM
We lose 24ish seniors after this year? Games will be closer next year. It’ll be fun reading peoples comments complaining about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No_Skill
12-04-2018, 02:22 AM
We lose 24ish seniors after this year? Games will be closer next year. It’ll be fun reading peoples comments complaining about that.

How many did we lose after 2013?

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 02:27 AM
How many did we lose after 2013?

There were 26 in 2013

The QB transition was a little easier though :)

GreenfieldBison
12-04-2018, 02:33 AM
https://www.ndsu.edu/alphaindex/buildings/Building::320

https://www.geni.com/people/Joseph-Burgum/6000000049601753835

bisonaudit
12-04-2018, 02:34 AM
I came into my fandom during the Kevin Feeney years when we were a fringe playoff team that couldn't beat the team from up north in our own house and people were complaining then about boring blowouts. You can't get away from it so I'll take mine with a title on top.

Professorbum
12-04-2018, 03:31 AM

You are completely missing the point about competition. But whatever.

NDSU, in the aggregate and over time, clearly outmatches its FCS competition. For closer competition, we can either regress to the level of other FCS teams, or we can improve the level of the competition we play. I'm for latter. Others (perhaps you) are for doing nothing and eventually maybe we'll become mediocre, and then all the FBS people will look silly. Awesome plan.

There's no convincing some people that NDSU can and should strive to be even greater. The fact is, the belief that we need to move up is the highest compliment to the team.

fmfantasy
12-04-2018, 04:09 AM

Only in ND would Doug Burgum be considered a rich alumni... I am talking a billionaire like even UND has. or someone who could pony up 500 million to name a stadium after not a Residence hall...

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-04-2018, 04:18 AM
Only in ND would Doug Burgum be considered a rich alumni... I am talking a billionaire like even UND has. or someone who could pony up 500 million to name a stadium after not a Residence hall...

Whose got the troll away handy? Somebody spray this guy

fmfantasy
12-04-2018, 04:32 AM
Second, down the road, in the distant future, how are we as fans going to remember these years of Bison football? I was a student in the late 80's when we had some very kick ass teams. Many of those games were blowouts as well. In '88 we went undefeated and cruised to a national title. "

Cruised? they barely won half their games...

Would that be the legendary 1988 team that beat the mighty Augustana 28-26? the unstoppable St Cloud State 29-28? the monsters of the Midway Mankato 21-17? beat UND 34-27? I mean UND???? the team that won the last 3 play off games by 10-22-14? They beat Millersville by 10 in the playoffs? a school I have never heard of and they only dominated in the playoffs as they brought teams to dakotah field and froze their ass off....

Those seem like there would have been a lot of exciting games though - edge of your seat stuff... Bison games only look as close as 40 points cause the coach sits everyone but redshirts or runs 3 play offense half of every game... if Kleiman was paid a 2K bonus per point they would average 80 a game..

fmfantasy
12-04-2018, 04:46 AM
1988 was an achievement. this is an ass kicking against inferior schools. at what point say 9-10 or 14-15 titles would be enough for most people? I love the bison and still watch every game but can anyone really say they enjoy the second half of more than 2 games a year? from a actual entertainment stand point? call me a troll but they aren't selling out playoff games even.. Hopefully this was a fluke year and we have the target field game and the Pac 12 games to look forward to. rather than the likes of Montana state??? Hell can we get Millersvile on the phone cause at least they gave us a game once!!!!

thebootfitter
12-04-2018, 04:55 AM
Holy crap, sounds like Bobcat fans before they played us. Yeah, I thing some of our fans are getting ahead of ourselves.
Not that this hypothetical match up will happen, but if it did, I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that we'd keep it closer with Alabama than Montana State did with us. NDSU would look like they belonged while getting beat like pretty much all the other decent teams that Alabama plays. My guess is that it would end up with Alabama scoring around 30-something while we score in the low 20s. Ask a recent player sometime. See what they think.

Per Sagarin, we're rated only about 3 touchdowns less than Alabama. MT State is about 4 TDs + FG lower than us. We're rated comparably to teams that Alabama beat by 20-ish points, but the Bison also play up for the big games.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Would that be the legendary 1988 team that beat the mighty Augustana 28-26? the unstoppable St Cloud State 29-28? the monsters of the Midway Mankato 21-17? beat UND 34-27? I mean UND???? the team that won the last 3 play off games by 10-22-14? They beat Millersville by 10 in the playoffs? a school I have never heard of and they only dominated in the playoffs as they brought teams to dakotah field and froze their ass off....

Those seem like there would have been a lot of exciting games though - edge of your seat stuff... Bison games only look as close as 40 points cause the coach sits everyone but redshirts or runs 3 play offense half of every game... if Kleiman was paid a 2K bonus per point they would average 80 a game..

Yeah, you obviously weren't around then. The best teams in the nation were in our conference. The playoffs were the easy part of the schedule.

I get your point. It just goes to show you how 30 years time can cloud your memory. So in thirty years time, you will probably look back fondly upon this season as having nothing but fun competitive games. :biggrin:

wagsabison
12-04-2018, 11:27 AM

NDSU, in the aggregate and over time, clearly outmatches its FCS competition. For closer competition, we can either regress to the level of other FCS teams, or we can improve the level of the competition we play. I'm for latter. Others (perhaps you) are for doing nothing and eventually maybe we'll become mediocre, and then all the FBS people will look silly. Awesome plan.

There's no convincing some people that NDSU can and should strive to be even greater. The fact is, the belief that we need to move up is the highest compliment to the team.

I get what your saying. I just wonder if this team, with all the seniors and experience is a once every 5 year team or not. I have no doubt we will still be good next year I just don’t expect this year to repeat.

I thought the MVFC did up their game over the last few years but this year is a down year.

I’m just not completely sold that the next step whatever that might be would really be that much better. We are closer to being in the Sun Belt or MAC than the MWC. Anyone watch the Tuesday night MAC games? FWIW, I’m closer to being in the FBS camp than I was 3-4 years ago.

Our success is our own worst enemy. What a problem to have.

NDSU1980
12-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Matthew.Larson@ndsu.edu
701-231-8985

You know it. I wish these people that keep pushing for for FBS would actually do more than spout off on a message board. Make some calls, write some some 6 figure checks, then we'll see how it goes.

wisco4
12-04-2018, 12:12 PM
I get what your saying. I just wonder if this team, with all the seniors and experience is a once every 5 year team or not. I have no doubt we will still be good next year I just don’t expect this year to repeat.

I thought the MVFC did up their game over the last few years but this year is a down year.

I’m just not completely sold that the next step whatever that might be would really be that much better. We are closer to being in the Sun Belt or MAC than the MWC. Anyone watch the Tuesday night MAC games? FWIW, I’m closer to being in the FBS camp than I was 3-4 years ago.

Our success is our own worst enemy. What a problem to have.

Is the MVFC really down this year? I guess it depends how you look at it. There's a good chance the MVFC will have 50% of the remaining teams after Saturday and I'd take 4-7 Youngstown State every day of the week against Montana St. The conference is brutally tough, that's what makes NDSU running the table even more impressive.

Professor Chaos
12-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Another thing to keep in mind: NDSU's athletic budget isn't even in the top 10 of the FCS. They're not this much better than the rest of the subdivision because we're such great fans that support the program so well, they're there primarily because of superior talent and work ethic on the roster and coaching staff.

What they're doing isn't easy and they've gotten to where they are due in no small part to some good fortune. This program could just as easily be in the spot Montana (who has similar if not better funding and support) is at right now with the wrong hires on the coaching staff and some recruiting missteps and there's no guarantee that they won't hit that "floor" at some point in the future.

Vet70
12-04-2018, 12:18 PM
You know it. I wish these people that keep pushing for for FBS would actually do more than spout off on a message board. Make some calls, write some some 6 figure checks, then we'll see how it goes.

Now that's a great idea. They don't seem to get the point that they can vent their spleen all they want and nothing is going to happen anytime soon. Small rant over, continue the pointless bitching.

DM05
12-04-2018, 01:14 PM

Our ability to move to an FBS conference has remarkably little to do with the quality of the football team.

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Our ability to move to an FBS conference has remarkably little to do with the quality of the football team.

That's as succinctly as you can put it but nobody will get it.

WhoRepsTheLurker
12-04-2018, 01:28 PM
nobody will get it.

Pretty sure everybody gets it

SafeTeeJ
12-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Win is a win, baby! Those NCC teams were very good those years in the late 80s. Mankato and St Cloud always played us tight and beat us in down years.
Millersville was an option team and knew how to defend us due to familiarity of style. Remember the Wofford playoff game.....?

I’m sure CAS can add to this.

thunderingherd
12-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Not that this hypothetical match up will happen, but if it did, I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that we'd keep it closer with Alabama than Montana State did with us. NDSU would look like they belonged while getting beat like pretty much all the other decent teams that Alabama plays. My guess is that it would end up with Alabama scoring around 30-something while we score in the low 20s. Ask a recent player sometime. See what they think.

Per Sagarin, we're rated only about 3 touchdowns less than Alabama. MT State is about 4 TDs + FG lower than us. We're rated comparably to teams that Alabama beat by 20-ish points, but the Bison also play up for the big games.

Of course a recent player would have the confidence to play them and want to play them. Any competitor in any sport would want that. NDSU would lose 100 out of 100 vs Bama. different level.

SC_TX
12-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Agreed! There is a huge talent gap. I still think NDSU wouldn't be embarrassed on the same field as Alabama.

This is probably correct. Top FBS teams roll over good quality Group of 5 teams all the times, often with 2nd and 3rd stringers playing in the 2nd half. Alabama smashed Louisiana, who made the Sun Belt title game, Clemson killed Georgia Southern, who was a good Sun Belt team. Alabama and Clemson would outmatch NDSU in strength and also have a massive speed advantage at the playmaker positions (something the FBS teams that NDSU has beaten recently did not have). NDSU would struggle having to go against NFL caliber WRs and QBs like Alabama and Clemson both have.

23Bison
12-04-2018, 02:14 PM
But it's a game that I want to see NDSU play. Win (extremely unlikely) or lose by 21. Just to see where we are competition wise. Line them all up. Ohio State, Michigan, Washington, Oklahoma, Clemson etc. etc. Oregon can't come quick enough!

SC_TX
12-04-2018, 02:29 PM
I certainly agree. I would also like to see matchups vs good group of 5 teams like N.Illinois, Utah State etc. I know they would never schedule NDSU but it would be interesting to see the result of those type of matchups.

GreenfieldBison
12-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Not exactly there sport. I happen to be acquainted with a billionaire down here in the MSP metro area. He made a donation some years ago to one of the universities in town and has his name on a building as a result. But that donation, while newsworthy and notable, was an order of magnitude less than your wild eyed imagination. You are fooling yourself if you think some billionaire alumnus is going to donate that kind of money for a sports stadium. How the hell do you think they got to be billionaires?

Oh and don’t kid yourself - NDSU most certainly has alumni who have ten digit net worth.

SDbison
12-04-2018, 03:14 PM
You know it. I wish these people that keep pushing for for FBS would actually do more than spout off on a message board. Make some calls, write some some 6 figure checks, then we'll see how it goes. Typical anti FBS rant. So NDSU's president and AD have no responsibility to provide any kind of vision or pursue it? Maybe communicate now and then to the taxpayers, students, Alumni and Teammakers about these concerns? NDSU football has brought national attention to NDSU , Fargo and North Dakota so it's not like it isnt important. Other than recent convention center plans will there be improvements to the dome to build better suites and add some more seats for the future? How about football goimg to the next level? Is it strictly status quo and waiting for the phone to ring or is something being done to be sure other conferences know we would be very interested? Maybe work with the Montanas, SDSU and others to create a new FBS conference? Fans shouldn't have to call direct to get this info.

bisonaudit
12-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Typical anti FBS rant. So NDSU's president and AD have no responsibility to provide any kind of vision or pursue it? Maybe communicate now and then to the taxpayers, students, Alumni and Teammakers about these concerns? NDSU football has brought national attention to NDSU , Fargo and North Dakota so it's not like it isnt important. Other than recent convention center plans will there be improvements to the dome to build better suites and add some more seats for the future? How about football goimg to the next level? Is it strictly status quo and waiting for the phone to ring or is something being done to be sure other conferences know we would be very interested? Maybe work with the Montanas, SDSU and others to create a new FBS conference? Fans shouldn't have to call direct to get this info.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps not going FBS is NDSU’s President and AD being responsible to the taxpayers, students, Alumni and Teammakers concerns?

El_Chapo
12-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Typical anti FBS rant. So NDSU's president and AD have no responsibility to provide any kind of vision or pursue it? Maybe communicate now and then to the taxpayers, students, Alumni and Teammakers about these concerns? NDSU football has brought national attention to NDSU , Fargo and North Dakota so it's not like it isnt important. Other than recent convention center plans will there be improvements to the dome to build better suites and add some more seats for the future? How about football goimg to the next level? Is it strictly status quo and waiting for the phone to ring or is something being done to be sure other conferences know we would be very interested? Maybe work with the Montanas, SDSU and others to create a new FBS conference? Fans shouldn't have to call direct to get this info.

#1 MATT LARSON HAS NEVER EVER 1 TIME EVER EVEN PICKED UP A PHONE or EMAIL to Mountain West Commish Craig Thompson.

Think about that for 1 dam second. That should be a fireable offense.

#2 Money would be found if NDSU jumped up, You know it would, the fundraising at NDSU is D2 standards.

#3 Dean Bresciani is a Texas A M guy , he 58. What a perfect time in his life to take a risk and push the envelope. He's from the Big 12, he loves the attention Football has given him and NDSU.

#4 110-8 is NDSU record, 6-7 natl titles, Straight Domination of the FCS, heck NDSU SUBSIDIZES THE FCS and the MVFC!! Lets quit being whored out and make the money ourselves!!

SDbison
12-04-2018, 03:34 PM
Has it occurred to you that perhaps not going FBS is NDSU’s President and AD being responsible to the taxpayers, students, Alumni and Teammakers concerns? Maybe they should let everyone know if that is how they feel and explain the benefits and disadvantages of such a decision.

MAKBison
12-04-2018, 03:36 PM
If the FCS doesn't up its all-around competition, I would like to go FBS. yes, I'm aware of all of the reasons why we cannot. I'm just saying.

Also I'll still be at every game and I'll stay to the last play... I enjoy watching excellence

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 03:36 PM
If there was heavy alumni and TM desire to go FBS, it would happen.

It's only a few cranks on BV and FB whinging about "competition".

MAKBison
12-04-2018, 03:38 PM
If there were heavy alumni and TM desire to go FBS, it would happen.

Ummmm.....no. The stands show it to.
If the all-around competition at the FCS raises, I have no problem staying at the FCS. I just don't see that happening; thus I would rather jump.

It would be nice if 50% of the teame we played could actually make it a game and or beat us versus only a few top caliber teams in the entire FCS having a shot.

I think NDSU help raise the bar in the FCS but I'm wondering if we pushed the other schools to the max.

bisonaudit
12-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Maybe they should let everyone know if that is how they feel and explain the benefits and disadvantages of such a decision.

They have. More than once.

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 03:47 PM
If the all-around competition at the FCS raises, I have no problem staying at the FCS. I just don't see that happening; thus I would rather jump.

It would be nice if 50% of the teame we played could actually make it a game and or beat us versus only a few top caliber teams in the entire FCS having a shot.

I think NDSU help raise the bar in the FCS but I'm wondering if we pushed the other schools to the max.

The back of the napkin math says that NDSU averaged attendance of 18,296 which is 97% capacity.

MAKBison
12-04-2018, 03:48 PM
The back of the napkin math says that NDSU averaged attendance of 18,296 which is 97% capacity.

For what the first two quarters. Then it's a yawn Fest... And hey I'm not complaining about kicking ass.... I love it.

But, I also do think that not having competition will hurt the gate.

I guess from my perspective, I don't think that it's unreasonable to have the FBS / FCS jump debate.... There's a lot of good reasons on both sides that make the case

MankatoBison
12-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Another thing to keep in mind: NDSU's athletic budget isn't even in the top 10 of the FCS. They're not this much better than the rest of the subdivision because we're such great fans that support the program so well, they're there primarily because of superior talent and work ethic on the roster and coaching staff.

What they're doing isn't easy and they've gotten to where they are due in no small part to some good fortune. This program could just as easily be in the spot Montana (who has similar if not better funding and support) is at right now with the wrong hires on the coaching staff and some recruiting missteps and there's no guarantee that they won't hit that "floor" at some point in the future.

This is both true and false. True that we aren't in the top 10 budgets. But dont conflate that with Fan support. We are virtually first in revenue from ticket sales and individual donations (TM and such). The reason we aren't in the top 10 in budget is that we are literally in the bottom 5 in Student fees for athletics. If we were even the median for Student fees, we would almost be first in athletic budget.

Now that's a great idea. They don't seem to get the point that they can vent their spleen all they want and nothing is going to happen anytime soon. Small rant over, continue the pointless bitching.

gotta love people saying you cant have an opinion unless you're literally able to donate $100,000 at this precise moment. Isnt it funny how YOU havent donated $100,000 yet you are still able to have an opinion? Crazy isnt it? It's almost as if people cana have opinions without immense sums of disposable income!?! wuuuuuuUUUuUuUuUt?! Just because someone doesnt have money to personally fund an idea, does not mean its inherently a bad idea. And just because someone DOES have the money to fund something doesnt make it a good idea.

If there was heavy alumni and TM desire to go FBS, it would happen.

Our TM funding is absolutely elite among the FCS. if other schools had requisite booster funding, many, if not most, would view it as "heavy alumni support for FBS"
Also, the entire empty sections for multiple consecutive games kind of indicate that piss pounding the living shit out of teams for nearly a decade is a an indictment on our competition, and is being VIEWED (incorrectly or not) as less entertaining/exciting.

I'm not saying that this means FBS NOW! But saying there isnt good or exceptional financial support for the team is false. Its also false to say that
if you cant fund FBS personally then it is automatically a bad idea. It may be a bad idea, but an individual's ability to fund it from his/her own bank account has nothing to do with the advantages or disadvantages of going FBS.
and lastly, its silly to believe that the majority of people are thrilled with the competition level on the field this year. To believe as much is to ignore reality, as well as the law of decreasing marginal utility.

bisonboone11
12-04-2018, 03:58 PM

I think NDSU help raise the bar in the FCS but I'm wondering if we pushed the other schools to the max.Would attendance be better if we were a bubble team in the playoffs?

SDbison
12-04-2018, 04:01 PM
The back of the napkin math says that NDSU averaged attendance of 18,296 which is 97% capacity. Who says every event has to sellout before expansion is considered? Don't believe any facility is ever 100 percent sold out with singles and limited view seats. Also, larger markets often get seats bought by brokers hoping to make a buck and in the end many seats go empty. The SDSU game could sell several thousand above current capacity. And if UND ever got better 30,000 -35,000 could attend a big game. Many other events could also create a demand well over current capacity.

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 04:05 PM
tl;dr

Money drives everything in college sports. If the donors and TM in general wanted to go FBS, they as an organization could get that done alone.

It's not that they can't it's that they trust Matt Larsen to make the right decision. So far, he has.

Professor Chaos
12-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Who says every event has to sellout before expansion is considered? Don't believe any facility is ever 100 percent sold out with singles and limited view seats. Also, larger markets often get seats bought by brokers hoping to make a buck and in the end many seats go empty. The SDSU game could sell several thousand above current capacity. And if UND ever got better 30,000 -35,000 could attend a big game. Many other events could also create a demand well over current capacity.
Agreed. A right sized venue should not be sold out for every game. It would be sold out for the big games but it should provide enough opportunity that even for those big games tickets are available for more than just season ticket holders and donors. I believe the ticket buying base for NDSU is shrinking right now since so many people have gotten used to watching the games on TV since getting tickets for regular season games before the Friday of game week isn't very easy unless you dive into the secondary markets.

If there was more opportunity for people to get into the dome in the regular season and experience the live gameday atmosphere I think we'd see more people looking to buy playoff tickets. That's not to say that we'd sell out a 25,000 seat stadium for every (or any) playoff games but I bet we would've gotten more for that Montana St game last week than 17,000 if tickets were more accessible in the regular season.

Vet70
12-04-2018, 04:24 PM
They have. More than once.

Over and over again.

gotta love people saying you cant have an opinion unless you're literally able to donate $100,000 at this precise moment. Isnt it funny how YOU havent donated $100,000 yet you are still able to have an opinion? Crazy isnt it? It's almost as if people cana have opinions without immense sums of disposable income!?! wuuuuuuUUUuUuUuUt?! Just because someone doesnt have money to personally fund an idea, does not mean its inherently a bad idea. And just because someone DOES have the money to fund something doesnt make it a good idea.

Nobody has said anything about people not having an opinion without donating money. All I have said is that nothing is going to change anytime soon and yet the dead horse keeps getting beaten. Maybe there should be a thread for things that are pointless to keep arguing about, yet they permeate every thread (Unless of course Bison Loaf thinks it would be too premature). And how are you so sure who has or has not donated $100,000? :biggrin:

MankatoBison
12-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Money drives everything in college sports. If the donors and TM in general wanted to go FBS, they as an organization could get that done alone.

It's not that they can't it's that they trust Matt Larsen to make the right decision. So far, he has.

maybe he has maybe he hasnt. So far we know that he has made a decision that you, and I agree with. but we dont actually know if it is the correct one. Many people believed the FCS move was too insane to try, others thought it was an obvious move. We dont know if it would be a good decision or not, ultimately. hindsight is 20/20 and foresight is rarely close to that.

Also, no I dont believe TM could get that done alone, nor would they have to. that would be awesome if they could shoulder that exclusively, but that would be largely unprecedented in college football would it not? Maybe its common place to require the booster club to magically generate an additional 10-15M every year as the only source of funding for a jump but I dont imagine that is the case- and it shouldnt be gauged as the ONLY indicator of overall fan base interest in moving or staying

HerdBot
12-04-2018, 04:30 PM

Athletic budget isnt an indicator of how much we spend on football, which is a huge amount. We dont spend nearly as much on basketball as other schools do. The Teammkers revenue for football blows most schools out of the water and we get a small amount of our budget from the state. The problem is, our athletic budget is strongly linked to Teammakers donations and attendance. We have a few years of bad attendance or dropping teammakers revenue and it could be bad news.

Also athletic budgets are higher for schools who have higher tuition rates. Our tuition is reasonably priced compared to some schools

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 04:33 PM
maybe he has maybe he hasnt. So far we know that he has made a decision that you, and I agree with. but we dont actually know if it is the correct one. Many people believed the FCS move was too insane to try, others thought it was an obvious move. We dont know if it would be a good decision or not, ultimately. hindsight is 20/20 and foresight is rarely close to that.

Also, no I dont believe TM could get that done alone, nor would they have to. that would be awesome if they could shoulder that exclusively, but that would be largely unprecedented in college football would it not? Maybe its common place to require the booster club to magically generate an additional 10-15M every year as the only source of funding for a jump but I dont imagine that is the case- and it shouldnt be gauged as the ONLY indicator of overall fan base interest in moving or staying

The big difference between FCS and FBS is the ceiling. In FCS the ceiling was within reach. In FBS, the ceiling is completely out of reach.

Bison Loaf
12-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Over and over again.

Nobody has said anything about people not having an opinion without donating money. All I have said is that nothing is going to change anytime soon and yet the dead horse keeps getting beaten. Maybe there should be a thread for things that are pointless to keep arguing about, yet they permeate every thread (Unless of course Bison Loaf thinks it would be too premature). And how are you so sure who has or has not donated $100,000? :biggrin:

1. You gotta love posters who put words in other posters mouths.

2. I have applied to the angry elf many times to be approved as a no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners, highly-compensated Bisonville moderator, and keep getting rejected for some reason.

3. I don't want to see my name in the same sentence as the word "premature" EVER again!

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 04:36 PM
1. You gotta love posters who put words in other posters mouths.

2. I have applied to the angry elf many times to be approved as a no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners, highly-compensated Bisonville moderator, and keep getting rejected for some reason.

3. I don't want to see my name in the same sentence as the word "premature" EVER again!

If you were a mod, BV would have 4 posters. You would permanban 10 a day.

JMB
12-04-2018, 04:39 PM

One could argue that they are pursuing a vision. What is NDSU working on right now? Facility upgrades including a practice facility. These items not only lure and serve student athletes but also show prospective FBS conferences we are serious. I would argue we are building the foundation to be in the right spot if the situation arises. To say "there is no vision and we are staying at the status quo" I don't think is representative of what is happening.

MankatoBison
12-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Over and over again.

and how are YOU so sure who has or has not donated $100k? Which is why I'm baffled at people continually bringing it up to gauge the validity of someone's opinion.
Its a false argument and it only gets brought up against one side of the argument. Its like saying "XYZ is a good idea" "yeah but you're poor so it doesnt count"
Furthermore, by this logic, shouldnt opponents of FBS STOP donating completely? as they may give the admin the wrong idea about an FBS move?

Obviously that would be dumb. my opinion is that personal individual donations have no place in arguing whether or not FBS is good or bad

Bison Loaf
12-04-2018, 04:46 PM
If you were a mod, BV would have 4 posters. You would permanban 10 a day.

Starting with myself, just to prove I was objective and beyond reproach. Clearly, however, roadwarrior would be a long overdue next in line.

Vet70
12-04-2018, 04:49 PM
and how are YOU so sure who has or has not donated $100k? Which is why I'm baffled at people continually bringing it up to gauge the validity of someone's opinion.
Its a false argument and it only gets brought up against one side of the argument. Its like saying "XYZ is a good idea" "yeah but you're poor so it doesnt count"
Furthermore, by this logic, shouldnt opponents of FBS STOP donating completely? as they may give the admin the wrong idea about an FBS move?

Obviously that would be dumb. my opinion is that personal individual donations have no place in arguing whether or not FBS is good or bad

You are off on quite a tangent. All I did was agree with a poster who basically said people should do more than bitch. Show me where I posted anyrhing saying what you are attributing to me.

JMB
12-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Starting with myself, just to prove I was objective and beyond reproach. Clearly, however, roadwarrior would be a long overdue next in line.

Its about time someone ends Roadwarrior's reign of terror. I have had to seek counseling. :)

MankatoBison
12-04-2018, 05:02 PM
The big difference between FCS and FBS is the ceiling. In FCS the ceiling was within reach. In FBS, the ceiling is completely out of reach.

I get that. Now youre talking the actual advantages and disadvantages of FBS
the Ceiling for FCS is a national championship and an awesome playoff system that is widely regarding as completely irrelevant to average college football fans (not us, of course, we enjoy the shit out of it!)

FBS ceiling is what? knocking off a P5 0-3 times a year, maybe a fiesta bowl every 5 years if we're lucky, presumably a higher level of competition, and an elevated national brand by ditching the perceived JV label?

Thats still incredibly attractive to alot of people. I think App State, Boise, UCF arent scratching to come back to FCS because they have no shot at the Ceiling. UCF wants to be in the playoff obviously, but they claimed a "national title" last year, which is hilarious, but its working for them perfectly. Things have never been better for them.

I'm not sure AppState or GSU would trade their shitty sun belt titles for another FCS championship. I could be wrong, maybe they'll come back to FCS.

tjbison
12-04-2018, 05:06 PM
get the IPF done, then on to the next

FB is where the money is, look at the IPF?? already ready to put shovels in the ground come spring

MAKBison
12-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Would attendance be better if we were a bubble team in the playoffs?

That's not what I'm saying... I'm not saying we need to be more competitive by going down rather I'm saying we need to keep our level of competition on the up. which would require a jump to the FBS.

We're at our ceiling but I don't see the competition but for a few Elite teams challenging us... We need to move raise our ceiling

bisonp
12-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Agreed. A right sized venue should not be sold out for every game. It would be sold out for the big games but it should provide enough opportunity that even for those big games tickets are available for more than just season ticket holders and donors. I believe the ticket buying base for NDSU is shrinking right now since so many people have gotten used to watching the games on TV since getting tickets for regular season games before the Friday of game week isn't very easy unless you dive into the secondary markets.

If there was more opportunity for people to get into the dome in the regular season and experience the live gameday atmosphere I think we'd see more people looking to buy playoff tickets. That's not to say that we'd sell out a 25,000 seat stadium for every (or any) playoff games but I bet we would've gotten more for that Montana St game last week than 17,000 if tickets were more accessible in the regular season.

Sold out, no, but it needs to be pretty full. Modern seats and amenities are too expensive to only be used occasionally. Today's venues are all about atmosphere over capacity. Maximizing return on investment. The era of overbuilding stadiums for one or two games each year has ended. Well, except in Brookings. Most stadium renovations are reducing capacity to better align with demand.

MankatoBison
12-04-2018, 05:12 PM
You are off on quite a tangent. All I did was agree with a poster who basically said people should do more than bitch. Show me where I posted anyrhing saying what you are attributing to me.

I'm not calling YOU out, just the general "quit bitching and donate more" argument that you allegedly agree with- which is not a coherent argument for or against FBS. FBS is either a good or bad idea, and an individual's ability to donate more has nothing to do with it

JMB
12-04-2018, 05:13 PM
I get that. Now youre talking the actual advantages and disadvantages of FBS
the Ceiling for FCS is a national championship and an awesome playoff system that is widely regarding as completely irrelevant to average college football fans (not us, of course, we enjoy the shit out of it!)

FBS ceiling is what? knocking off a P5 0-3 times a year, maybe a fiesta bowl every 5 years if we're lucky, presumably a higher level of competition, and an elevated national brand by ditching the perceived JV label?

Thats still incredibly attractive to alot of people. I think App State, Boise, UCF arent scratching to come back to FCS because they have no shot at the Ceiling. UCF wants to be in the playoff obviously, but they claimed a "national title" last year, which is hilarious, but its working for them perfectly. Things have never been better for them.

I'm not sure AppState or GSU would trade their shitty sun belt titles for another FCS championship. I could be wrong, maybe they'll come back to FCS.

I also think its a legit debate if life in a G5 conference represents "an elevated national brand". Granted, a lot of that has to do with the success of Carson Wentz, but I would argue in today's world NDSU has a much more recognizable brand than most G5 schools.

SDbison
12-04-2018, 05:14 PM
You are off on quite a tangent. All I did was agree with a poster who basically said people should do more than bitch. Show me where I posted anyrhing saying what you are attributing to me. So you stick in the mud, status quo people don't bitch about others discussing a topic? Give me a break. We are talking about the recent plans for the dome upgrade not including details on additional seating and suites. This is important not only for the near term, but the future should a viable FBS option present itself. As for lack of vision, guess I don't expect to change NDSUs presidents and ADs mind, but I do think more and more Bisonvillers realize something needs to be done.

MAKBison
12-04-2018, 05:15 PM
One could argue that they are pursuing a vision. What is NDSU working on right now? Facility upgrades including a practice facility. These items not only lure and serve student-athletes but also show prospective FBS conferences we are serious. I would argue we are building the foundation to be in the right spot if the situation arises. To say "there is no vision and we are staying at the status quo" I don't think is representative of what is happening.

I think this post is dead on... I just don't get why some people go all nuts when people want to have the FBS argument.

Like I said many times... The move to FBS is a legit argument to have there are good points on both sides of this issue.

Imo..Concerning our fundraising we do an excellent job... Could there be improvements absolutely but for the most part I think we're doing a pretty good job

bisonaudit
12-04-2018, 05:24 PM
I also think its a legit debate if life in a G5 conference represents "an elevated national brand". Granted, a lot of that has to do with the success of Carson Wentz, but I would argue in today's world NDSU has a much more recognizable brand than most G5 schools.

Don't grant them anything. Nationally no one cares about G5 teams unless they’ve got a 1st round QB talent either. The level of competition is not better, the exposure is only marginally better, the post season is materially worse, and the costs are double.

ZHerd
12-04-2018, 05:25 PM
In a properly functioning universe the FBS goes to a 16 game playoff (making G5 suddenly extremely attractive), though I’d happily take 8; NDSU moves up WITH Klieman and staff still at the helm (not after the fact in the middle of that transition), and NDSU is an immediate, first year force. Unfortunately, the universe is broken

Vet70
12-04-2018, 05:30 PM
I'm not calling YOU out, just the general "quit bitching and donate more" argument that you allegedly agree with- which is not a coherent argument for or against FBS. FBS is either a good or bad idea, and an individual's ability to donate more has nothing to do with it

You used a quote from me in your diatribe which did make it personal. Nowhere did I say if you can't donate you can't have an opinion. The fact of the matter is that to make a move more resources will be needed and that is a valid argument. I don't know why you can't comprehend that without going off the ledge. Having said that I am done.

NDSUguy
12-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Donkt grant them anything. Nationally no one cares about G5 teams unless they’ve got a 1st round QB talent either. The level of competition is not better, the exposure is only marginally better, the post season is materially worse, and the costs are double.

Top to bottom the G5 competition level is significantly better than the FCS. That is why I am personally drawn to the FBS.

My problem with the FCS is that it's basically like the P5.... Only 4 teams with a real chance at winning anything. I'm happy to have NDSU be one of the four but after a while it does become somewhat stagnant.

thebootfitter
12-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Top to bottom the G5 competition level is significantly better than the FCS. That is why I am personally drawn to the FBS.

My problem with the FCS is that it's basically like the P5.... Only 4 teams with a real chance at winning anything. I'm happy to have NDSU be one of the four but after a while it does become somewhat stagnant.
I wonder if Alabama thinks they're becoming stagnant? Nowhere else to go and all?

SC_TX
12-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Who says every event has to sellout before expansion is considered? Don't believe any facility is ever 100 percent sold out with singles and limited view seats. Also, larger markets often get seats bought by brokers hoping to make a buck and in the end many seats go empty. The SDSU game could sell several thousand above current capacity. And if UND ever got better 30,000 -35,000 could attend a big game. Many other events could also create a demand well over current capacity.

And in FBS there's the possibility of a power 5 team coming to Fargo. How many would that draw? App State got Miami to come up to Boone.

23Bison
12-04-2018, 06:00 PM
You used a quote from me in your diatribe which did make it personal. Nowhere did I say if you can't donate you can't have an opinion. The fact of the matter is that to make a move more resources will be needed and that is a valid argument. I don't know why you can't comprehend that without going off the ledge. Having said that I am done.

I understand where you stand on this subject and I also see you are DONE with this. My question for you if you care to answer is; what can we do or work towards to make resource more readily available for such a move? If there were ideas to help boost this possible idea we collectively as a fan base could be on the path to make it happen. This is a genuine question and am curious. I don't have any background what so ever to try and generate finances and let a lone marketing. Beer sales would be a start (not sure how higher education would like that for a University to sell alcohol.) Maybe they don't, I don't know.

And I'm not expecting you to come up with all of the ideas but have everyone involved in this subject to submit ideas. What do other universities do to make money?

bisonboone11
12-04-2018, 06:30 PM
That's not what I'm saying... I'm not saying we need to be more competitive by going down rather I'm saying we need to keep our level of competition on the up. which would require a jump to the FBS.

We're at our ceiling but I don't see the competition but for a few Elite teams challenging us... We need to move raise our ceilingFair enough. I just don't see the excitement of going to FBS and having a schedule similar to Buffalo (best record in the MAC) for example for the opportunity to play in the Dollar General Bowl against Troy.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2018-19/schedule

thunderingherd
12-04-2018, 06:39 PM
My opinion as an NDSU "fan". A move up to ANY FBS conference would be awesome in every way. If we kept doing what we are doing in say, the MAC, the ceiling could be where western Mich was a couple years ago. Cotton Bowl vs Wisco at cowboys stadium. Or we could be UCF vs Auburn in a Jan 1 bowl. It's not even an argument as a "fan" in my opinion.

GreenfieldBison
12-04-2018, 06:43 PM
I wonder if Alabama thinks they're becoming stagnant? Nowhere else to go and all?

That’s a damn fine question right there. Games I have watched they seemed to have plenty of highly engaged fans in those stands...

gizmo
12-04-2018, 06:48 PM
There are plenty of Alabama fans who think they belong in the NFL. LOL!!!

thunderingherd
12-04-2018, 06:49 PM

https://www.si.com/college-football/video/2018/10/04/alabama-nick-saban-students-rant-never-happy

MankatoBison
12-04-2018, 06:54 PM

You're right - NDSU has a bigger brand than many G5 schools- I'm not arguing that EVERY G5 school has a bigger brand- because they don't.

I'm saying that our already large brand wouldn't get smaller going G5, it would get larger.

Do you think AppStates and GSU's brand has been elevated since moving up? The answer is an emphatic yes. doesn't mean we have the resources to move up or that it makes it a smart decision, but I think the evidence is there that if we moved up we would likely benefit by dropping the false "DII" perception

23Bison
12-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Fresno won the Mountain West and plays Arizona State in the Las Vegas Bowl. I'd go to that and lose my ass in the casinos.
Boise lost the Mountain West title game and plays Boston College in Dallas, TX at the First Responders Bowl. We are used to going to Texas anyway. Just saying.

ZHerd
12-04-2018, 07:08 PM
There are plenty of Alabama fans who think they belong in the NFL. LOL!!!

Bama could pull the upset on that group of little girls from Green Bay

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 07:09 PM
Fresno won the Mountain West and plays Arizona State in the Las Vegas Bowl. I'd go to that and lose my ass in the casinos.
Boise lost the Mountain West title game and plays Boston College in Dallas, TX at the First Responders Bowl. We are used to going to Texas anyway. Just saying.

We have far more in common with Montana than Fresno State.

23Bison
12-04-2018, 07:11 PM
We have far more in common with Montana than Fresno State.

Oh heck no. Fresno is just like Grand Forks.

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 07:15 PM
Oh heck no. Fresno is just like Grand Forks.

They have 10k more students than NDSU and a 50% larger athletic budget.

23Bison
12-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Haha yeah I was joking more about the California mind set compared to that of North Dakota.

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 07:18 PM
I'm with Vet. This argument is pointless.

Right now we are doing the best with our resources compared to everyone else.

This isn't soccer, there is no relegation. The move to a different division will have only a little to do with the success of the football team.

SDbison
12-04-2018, 07:25 PM
I wonder if Alabama thinks they're becoming stagnant? Nowhere else to go and all? Well NDSU has plenty of room to grow........ FCS to G5 for now. As for the football stadium 19,000 might be large to someone from western North Dakota, but south, east and west of here they can build them to hold around 100,000. What is the big deal with building for the future and heaven forbid thinking of a 30,000 seat stadium. Can't believe how many here who are happy to stay exactly where they are for a long time. This country was built to grow, not stagnate. So while NDSU wants me to give more donated money I say no.......not until they start to seriously consider the future of NDSU football (FBS) and stadium expansion and share that vision with the public. They short answers so far don't show much effort.

ZHerd
12-04-2018, 08:32 PM
In regards to the competition issue...I think that the fcs as a whole is somewhat down this year in a way that isn’t necessarily the new norm. Last year’s 2&3 place teams were, imo, much better than the 2&3 teams this year. That isn’t to say the top teams aren’t good. The Bison have to prep and bring their A game or someone will still beat us, but overall the level of play at the top is down some.

JMB
12-04-2018, 10:28 PM
You're right - NDSU has a bigger brand than many G5 schools- I'm not arguing that EVERY G5 school has a bigger brand- because they don't.

I'm saying that our already large brand wouldn't get smaller going G5, it would get larger.

Do you think AppStates and GSU's brand has been elevated since moving up? The answer is an emphatic yes. doesn't mean we have the resources to move up or that it makes it a smart decision, but I think the evidence is there that if we moved up we would likely benefit by dropping the false "DII" perception

I would argue GSU's brand has been about the same. App State, although they were even ranked for a bit this year is most known for being the FCS team that knocked off Michigan.

Other notes... Does ESPN visit either Fargo or JMU if either of those teams are FBS? Who has a more notable national presence, Mount Union or Georgia Southern? I think there is an argument that in today's world there is an argument that dominating your level will bring you more attention than being average at the next level. And NDSU would likely be average. But if you don't want to be average... Are the fans comfortable with the way college football programs need to run to be good at the FBS level?

fmfantasy
12-04-2018, 11:26 PM
I think our brand is much bigger than app state and Georgia Southern.. I cant name one nfl player that played there? everyone on the east coast Knows the Bison from Wentz.

fmfantasy
12-04-2018, 11:33 PM
Lets say Trey lance is legit and Jabril is completely dominating everyone in 2020.. and they win number 9 out of 10...

The AD comes out and says "we have accomplished everything we set out to do in FCS" we are gonna move up and even if we are an independent- we will make it work!!

Do you think they would get that many complaints? sure we might struggle at first just like FCS but just hope the power 5 breaks away or at least sucks up 6-10 teams from the G5 and we move in there.

Vet70
12-04-2018, 11:34 PM
I think our brand is much bigger than app state and Georgia Southern.. I cant name one nfl player that played there? everyone on the east coast Knows the Bison from Wentz.

You must be new to Bison football.

GASO - Passing
Player Cmp Att. Yds. TD INT Long Sack
Jerick McKinnon 2 5 91 1 0 49 0

GASO - Rushing
Player Att. Gain Loss Net TD Lg. Avg.
Jerick McKinnon 31 174 6 168 1 25 5.4

fmfantasy
12-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Also we compete with top 25 teams already.. can anyone give me an argument how we would recruit less talent in the FBS? assuming coaching and philosophy stays the same? are there really a lot of MN-ND-SD-IA-NE kids that would turn down FBS NDSU for a chance to play for a FCS title at SDSU?

fmfantasy
12-04-2018, 11:39 PM

GASO - Passing

GASO - Rushing

One career backup RB on the IR??? yeah I am sure nationally that enhances their brand... I wore a Bison jersey in times square and tons of people yelled or stopped to talk about it....

Vet70
12-04-2018, 11:46 PM
One career backup RB on the IR??? yeah I am sure nationally that enhances their brand... I wore a Bison jersey in times square and tons of people yelled or stopped to talk about it....

So you can name one NFL player that played there.

GreenfieldBison
12-04-2018, 11:50 PM

Aren’t you late for class?

bisonaudit
12-04-2018, 11:59 PM
Lets say Trey lance is legit and Jabril is completely dominating everyone in 2020.. and they win number 9 out of 10...

The AD comes out and says "we have accomplished everything we set out to do in FCS" we are gonna move up and even if we are an independent- we will make it work!!

Do you think they would get that many complaints? sure we might struggle at first just like FCS but just hope the power 5 breaks away or at least sucks up 6-10 teams from the G5 and we move in there.

We did not struggle at first in the FCS. Our transition was remarkably smooth.

SC_TX
12-04-2018, 11:59 PM

I wonder how much that will last though as Wentz gets further removed from his NDSU years. How much Southern Miss benefit from Favre? Eastern Illinois from Romo? Miami Oh from Roethlisburger? After a while these players take on the identity of their pro teams.

EC8CH
12-05-2018, 12:13 AM
I wonder how much that will last though as Wentz gets further removed from his NDSU years. How much Southern Miss benefit from Favre? Eastern Illinois from Romo? Miami Oh from Roethlisburger? After a while these players take on the identity of their pro teams.

True, and once Stick wins the Super Bowl his association with NDSU will take more of the focus ;)

MAKBison
12-05-2018, 12:49 AM
Bama could pull the upset on that group of little girls from Green Bay

No...just no. No college team will win against a pro team.....not gonna happen for 1 reason...... Speed

MAKBison
12-05-2018, 12:53 AM
I came into my fandom during the Kevin Feeney years when we were a fringe playoff team that couldn't beat the team from up north in our own house and people were complaining then about boring blowouts. You can't get away from it so I'll take mine with a title on top.

Me personally I dont mind the blowout, but di understand why some do. I also watch the game 3 times checking out different position groups which I doubt is common so theres that. In all, I just really appreciate the skill I see out there. I would never turn down a chance to watch every snap.

reformedUNDfan
12-05-2018, 12:55 AM
NDSU's nationl peers, in respect to their positions in the regional and national football recruiting landscape, are UCF, Houston, Cincinnatti, Fresno State and Boise State. Each is the dominant mid-major in it's respective area.

We took NIU's old position which is why they suck now

MAKBison
12-05-2018, 12:56 AM

GASO - Passing

GASO - Rushing

Whatever happen to bearmanpig? Did he ever make the jump?

ZHerd
12-05-2018, 01:00 AM
No...just no. No college team will win against a pro team.....not gonna happen for 1 reason...... Speed

It’s purple, just trolling packer fans

Bison 4 Life
12-05-2018, 01:02 AM
Whatever happen to bearmanpig? Did he ever make the jump?

cup of coffee with the Bears, cut in training camp.

Probably starting bar fights back home in pig fuck Georgia still wearing his letter jacket.

wagsabison
12-05-2018, 01:03 AM
Is the MVFC really down this year? I guess it depends how you look at it. There's a good chance the MVFC will have 50% of the remaining teams after Saturday and I'd take 4-7 Youngstown State every day of the week against Montana St. The conference is brutally tough, that's what makes NDSU running the table even more impressive.

I guess I look at it in terms of competitiveness against us. But the league did kind of beat itself up.

Christopher Moen
12-05-2018, 02:41 AM
Also we compete with top 25 teams already.. can anyone give me an argument how we would recruit less talent in the FBS? assuming coaching and philosophy stays the same? are there really a lot of MN-ND-SD-IA-NE kids that would turn down FBS NDSU for a chance to play for a FCS title at SDSU?

In a G5 conference, there will be a struggle to be either the next Boise State and not being the next Bowling Green in regards to recruiting. If you actually follow NDSU's recruiting process, you would know by now that the Bison beat a lot of decent G5 schools (and occasionally, a P5 school) for recruits because those young men would prefer to compete for a National Championship than playing for a possible exhibition game at year's end. If NDSU doesn't rise to the level of a Boise State (whose luster has diminished quite a bit recently) right away, the recruits they end up with could very possibly be not as talented as the groups they have been getting about for the past five years. Imagine NDSU moving up to a G5 conference, not being successful right away and this causes the opportunity for SDSU to end up getting the type of recruits that NDSU gets now. Then imagine NDSU schedules SDSU (to be Bowl eligible) and loses because of having inferior talent. Then imagine the F'Hawkers worshipping the turning worm.

El_Chapo
12-05-2018, 03:46 AM
Day 1 NDSU turns FBS.

NDSU grabs top 3-4 Recruits from UNI, SDSU, und, usd if they have any.

NDSU would then Recruit Minneapolis even harder and Wisconsin. Tons of kids that goto MAC or MWC or other D1 schools that wouldn't come to NDSU now.

NDSU with 22 more full rides... You're god dam right NDSU can be a better team that what it has been!!

COME ON.. BELIEVE IN SOMETHING HIGHER FOR ONCE!!

El_Chapo
12-05-2018, 03:50 AM
Matthew.Larson@ndsu.edu
701-231-8985

MR STONY BROOK HAS NOT MADE 1 PHONE CALL OR SENT 1 EMAIL TO CRAIG THOMPSON MWC COMMISH or anyone else. I say thats' a fireable offense!

El_Chapo
12-05-2018, 03:54 AM

NDSU is in the 3rd tier right now, not the 2nd.

Power 5
G 5's
FCS

So we are basically Division 3. D3.

Vet70
12-05-2018, 12:07 PM

El Chapo---you are wrong and don't know what FBS means. Man up and put it on the board instead of trolling through private messages.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-05-2018, 12:31 PM
"Enjoy the season."

I suck at the internet, otherwise I would put up a meme of Mike Tice.

I'm sure someone will do it for me.

HerdistheWord
12-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Dang! I wish i could go this weekednd. Seats still available on the 40 yard line.

Hammerhead
12-05-2018, 12:55 PM
I might wait until the unclaimed season tickets are released next week if we aren't playing SDSU. Lots of tickets way better than what I could find on Sunday afternoon :(