PDA

View Full Version : JMU coach Mike Houston leaving for Charlotte?

WeAreThePride
11-29-2018, 12:22 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.underdogdynasty.com/platform/amp/2018/11/28/18116681/mike-houston-named-charlottes-head-coach-brad-lambert-benny-lemay-james-madison-citadel-football-usa

Not sure how to post a hot link. I guess that’s the end of JMU’s brief stay among the FCS elite.

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 12:28 PM
What? When did this happen? This is the first I've heard of it

WeAreThePride
11-29-2018, 12:30 PM
What? When did this happen? This is the first I've heard of it

I scanned the first page of threads, and didn’t see anything about it. Oh well.

VirginiaBison
11-29-2018, 12:36 PM
The previous discussion was embedded in the playoff thread Post 405 here: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?39742-2018-Playoff-thread/page41

DCinOK
11-29-2018, 01:02 PM
https://twitter.com/TheBreezeSports/status/1067919780580139008

Coach Excuseton's interview after practice yesterday...

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 01:06 PM
The discussion at the JMU board is fucking hilarious. " We’re set up to be THE TEAM the next several years in FCS. Would think you’d want to reap the tailwinds of that success."

Unseeded team says what? LOL

southcliffbison
11-29-2018, 01:37 PM
The discussion at the JMU board is fucking hilarious. " We’re set up to be THE TEAM the next several years in FCS. Would think you’d want to reap the tailwinds of that success."

Unseeded team says what? LOL

I wonder how many JMU recuits Coach Poachston will try to persuade to join him at Charlotte

cbline
11-29-2018, 01:39 PM
I wonder how many JMU recuits Coach Poachston will try to persuade to join him at Charlotte

Thank heaven Coach K and the entire staff held things together so well with Bohl's departure!

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 01:41 PM

Well, if the dumb "ratings" sites are to be believed, UNCC had a much better recruiting class than JMU.

Of course, that doesn't mean he won't try to pull one or two.

KNOW IT ALL
11-29-2018, 01:53 PM
The truest statement in all of business management; "Everyone is replaceable"!!!!

Vet70
11-29-2018, 01:59 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.underdogdynasty.com/platform/amp/2018/11/28/18116681/mike-houston-named-charlottes-head-coach-brad-lambert-benny-lemay-james-madison-citadel-football-usa

Not sure how to post a hot link. I guess that’s the end of JMU’s brief stay among the FCS elite.

Who knows? I am sure people were saying the same thing about us in 2013. With their money, they can afford to bring in a quality coach.

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Who knows? I am sure people were saying the same thing about us in 2013. With their money, they can afford to bring in a quality coach.

Yeah but there's something about their system that just doesn't say "sustainable" to me.

Look at Sam Houston when Willie Fritz left. They brought in KC Keeler, who had a pretty good record and they haven't been able to put it together.

Bisonator98
11-29-2018, 02:20 PM
He's never stayed anywhere more then 2-3 years has he? Apparently his rah rah pre game speeches only work so long.

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 02:25 PM
He's never stayed anywhere more then 2-3 years has he? Apparently his rah rah pre game speeches only work so long.

2 years is his max. He's never had a team entirely of his own recruits.

His wikipedia page is pretty funny. Apparently someone yesterday edited it to make him the head coach of UNCC and someone else just came through and stripped all that out and didn't restore the earlier version so there are missing elements and the coloring is just grey.

MAKBison
11-29-2018, 02:39 PM
I wonder if his team lays down this week.

MankatoBison
11-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Oh shit.... just got the text - Klieman to JMU!!!!!

MAKBison
11-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Rough day over on the DD.

Wtf? And I guess we can kiss the Colgate game buh bye too.

The players just got gut punched by a guy they thought had their backs all the way through. He up and quits on them, what would one expect the players to do in response?

Wow. We’re just a revolving door of ftball coaches now...
Yesterday 05:34 PM

Vet70
11-29-2018, 02:56 PM
Oh shit.... just got the text - Klieman to JMU!!!!!

Looking Ahead--Who's after Klieman?

KNOW IT ALL
11-29-2018, 02:59 PM
I wonder if his team lays down this week.

Yeah I think they will lose. I dont think it will bring the program down but it sure sets them up for a clunker this weekend against a team they may well lose to anyhow. I hope they lose and the Bison gets some more new blood in the dome. JMU would be great but anything new in FCS is welcome.

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Looking Ahead--Who's after Klieman?

Mike Houston.

MAKBison
11-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Classic.....

E: Newest Coaching Rumor
Wanna know how I know this is a done deal and all this talk right now about not accepting yet is just smoke...

Because a current assistant coach at JMU is literally liking posts on twitter that congratulate UNCC on a good hire of Mike Houston.

....and this is why nothing stays private. Old people and the internet a secret does not keep.

:rofl:

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Not so fast my friend....we might have another contender.
https://eastcarolina.sportswar.com/post_images/ecubanter/00/00/00/11/06/95/34/11069534_0.jpg

Professor Chaos
11-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Is anyone else kinda hoping that JMU let's Houston coach the season out and they beat Colgate this Saturday setting up a potential quarterfinal matchup here in the Fargodome? I think that set of circumstances may get our lethargic fan base juiced up a little bit...

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 05:13 PM
Is anyone else kinda hoping that JMU let's Houston coach the season out and they beat Colgate this Saturday setting up a potential quarterfinal matchup here in the Fargodome? I think that set of circumstances may get our lethargic fan base juiced up a little bit...

I think no matter what job he takes, he has to probably be done after this weekend. Gotta get those recruits locked up for Signing day in 3 weeks.

tony
11-29-2018, 05:16 PM
The real question is that if Houston has a new job, does he alter the volume of his pregame screamfest?

Professor Chaos
11-29-2018, 05:20 PM
I think no matter what job he takes, he has to probably be done after this weekend. Gotta get those recruits locked up for Signing day in 3 weeks.
Yeah, I kinda doubt he is even on the sideline this weekend. This rumor train is only going to pick up steam. I think he and JMU's AD would do the team a favor if they just came out now and said that he's not going to travel with the team.

The sadistic side of me would still love to see them bring Houston and the entire circus surrounding him to the Fargodome in 9 days.

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 05:30 PM
The real question is that if Houston has a new job, does he alter the volume of his pregame screamfest?

Well, you better believe ESPN with make us watch it.

NCBison
11-29-2018, 05:32 PM
ECU would seem to be the better move...but neither program is a huge promotion IMHO

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1068202984650215426?s=19

Professor Chaos
11-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Well, you better believe ESPN with make us watch it.
It's too bad they didn't play it live on the big screen in the Fargodome.

MrSnuffleupagus
11-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Should have 'LOCKED THE DAMN GATES'.

MAKBison
11-29-2018, 05:34 PM
The real question is how many staff and recruits does he take.

Btw.....my spiddy sense thinks he already took the Charlotte job. We will see

bstark28
11-29-2018, 05:35 PM

I'd think the brakes may have been pumped a hair on the UNCC front. Unless he already signed on the dotted line with Charlotte, I'd guess that he's heading to ECU (assuming he interviews/is offered the job). Their HC made over $1M this year, better conference, etc. Either way, he gone!

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 05:46 PM
I'd think the brakes may have been pumped a hair on the UNCC front. Unless he already signed on the dotted line with Charlotte, I'd guess that he's heading to ECU (assuming he interviews/is offered the job). Their HC made over $1M this year, better conference, etc. Either way, he gone!

Yep, this just got extra juicy.

Don't know what's better the JMU people trying to convince themselves he won't go to Charlotte or the Charlotte people trying to convince themselves he won't go to ECU.

MrSnuffleupagus
11-29-2018, 05:49 PM
Don't know what's better the JMU people trying to convince themselves he won't go to Charlotte or the Charlotte people trying to convince themselves he won't go to ECU.

The JMU people trying to convince themselves that JMU will be coming to Fargo next week.

MAKBison
11-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Yep, this just got extra juicy.

HCMH is either lol or kicking himself.

I am certain he told Charlotte he was on board, but did he sign a contract.

Rock
11-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Does this push JMU in a FBS decision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrSnuffleupagus
11-29-2018, 05:52 PM
Does this push JMU in a FBS decision?

Yeah it means they will never move to FBS.

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 05:54 PM
The JMU people trying to convince themselves that JMU will be coming to Fargo next week.

https://media.tenor.com/images/987ccf67f8644c015d5b4bea3e51132b/tenor.gif

cbline
11-29-2018, 05:55 PM
So much for the Second Coming in Harrisonburg.

RossUglem
11-29-2018, 06:05 PM
I give my take on the Houston situation here (https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/Article/BisonReport-Radio-112918-125568805/).

Hammersmith
11-29-2018, 06:53 PM

Keep an eye on Louisville. If they go with the guy from App St, the Mountaineers might be in play.

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Keep an eye on Louisville. If they go with the guy from App St, the Mountaineers might be in play.

They'd have the least to offer as far as salary. UNCC is looking around 900k and ECU is north of a million

ASU paid Satterfield something like 400-500k last year. It would test Houston's claim that he wants to be closer to his parents who probably live in the western part of the state.

Hammersmith
11-29-2018, 07:01 PM
They'd have the least to offer as far as salary. UNCC is looking around 900k and ECU is north of a million

ASU paid Satterfield something like 400-500k last year. It would test Houston's claim that he wants to be closer to his parents who probably live in the western part of the state.

Wouldn't be surprised if App St is ready to bump up the salary to at least UNCC levels now that they're established in FBS. Satterfield has been there since the end of the FCS days.

Anyway, just repeating what people who know much more than me are saying.

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 07:06 PM
No matter what happens for the next few days....

https://i.imgur.com/mSFXk2a.gif

23Bison
11-29-2018, 07:26 PM
And whom ever buys Mike Houston will get all comfy with him and happy that they have him. Fast forward two years and and he still has yet to coach a team that consists of his recruits and boom, HE GONE!

Such a coaching wh@re!

NovaBison
11-29-2018, 07:41 PM
For a team of JMU's stature, this will NOT be a distraction at all :)

AKBison
11-29-2018, 09:26 PM
ECU is the better job far. It is in the 6th best football conference, huge stadium, and has the best fan base in the G5 outside of BYU. It's a better job then a lot of P5 schools as well.

MankatoBison
11-29-2018, 09:49 PM
ECU is the better job far. It is in the 6th best football conference, huge stadium, and has the best fan base in the G5 outside of BYU. It's a better job then a lot of P5 schools as well.

what? UCF? Boise? Cincy?

Their stadium may be huge but it it nearly always half empty.

Still doesnt change that AAC is vastly superior to Sunbelt and CUSA. but I'd rather go to App state with a rabid, but smaller fan base, with more competitive success and much more of a national pedigree (at the moment)

Doenst mean that ECU cant be a sleeping giant that is waiting to be awaken by Houston and the most attractive job offer, but lets not pretend that their fan base is nationally relevant

1st&TennBison
11-29-2018, 09:52 PM

Nope, it isn't. If you are a fan of over exaggerating what the term "a lot" should mean, as in many or majority of the teams. Then you are way off. However some folks will say "a lot" when they are only talking about a few or a handful, which would probably then be true. So when you say "a lot" are you speaking about more than half, or only a handful or less?
https://www.studergroup.com/resources/articles-and-industry-updates/insights/december-2011/how-much-is-a-lot

MankatoBison
11-29-2018, 09:57 PM

name.... idk.. 4 P5 schools that this is better than?

Keep in mind that Kansas, who is widely considered the worst P5 job, just hired Les Miles. I dont think Les Miles would flip his commitment if ECU came calling

Bison 4 Life
11-29-2018, 09:57 PM
what? UCF? Boise? Cincy?

Their stadium may be huge but it it nearly always half empty.

Still doesnt change that AAC is vastly superior to Sunbelt and CUSA. but I'd rather go to App state with a rabid, but smaller fan base, with more competitive success and much more of a national pedigree (at the moment)

Doenst mean that ECU cant be a sleeping giant that is waiting to be awaken by Houston and the most attractive job offer, but lets not pretend that their fan base is nationally relevant

The problem with App State is the job isn't open yet. He'll basically have 2 offers on the table by Sunday.

NCBison
11-29-2018, 11:05 PM
ECU is in my backyard. They're a perennial dumpster fire. Could the right coach turn them around? Maybe. Still think it's a better job than a startup program at UNC Charlotte in a state that already has 5 FBS programs.

AKBison
11-29-2018, 11:43 PM
Nope, it isn't. If you are a fan of over exaggerating what the term "a lot" should mean, as in many or majority of the teams. Then you are way off. However some folks will say "a lot" when they are only talking about a few or a handful, which would probably then be true. So when you say "a lot" are you speaking about more than half, or only a handful or less?
https://www.studergroup.com/resources/articles-and-industry-updates/insights/december-2011/how-much-is-a-lot

Half dozen or so. ECU football is currently a dumpster fire. However you don't average over 40k for a decade + (streak ended this year) because people don't care.

wagsabison
11-30-2018, 12:32 AM
I liked how the jmu people thought he was sticking around for 10 years because he signed a contract before the championship game last year. We all learned something from Bohl. At some point money talks and people decide to move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GSUsTALON
11-30-2018, 12:35 AM
Half dozen or so. ECU football is currently a dumpster fire. However you don't average over 40k for a decade + (streak ended this year) because people don't care.

The Cubs always show.

JohnnyExtacy
11-30-2018, 12:35 AM
Just waters down the FCS even more. Too bad he couldn't stay, build them into something great, and give NDSU fans a hopeful "game" every year in the championship.

Really strong FCS program just got worse? Boring.

GSUsTALON
11-30-2018, 12:37 AM
I liked how the jmu people thought he was sticking around for 10 years because he signed a contract before the championship game last year. We all learned something from Bohl. At some point money talks and people decide to move on.

I think I posted he was leaving but my thread was taken down.

BisonNeil
11-30-2018, 03:50 AM
Just waters down the FCS even more. Too bad he couldn't stay, build them into something great, and give NDSU fans a hopeful "game" every year in the championship.

If you’re bored go watch the MAC championship tomorrow night. Knock yourself out.

MankatoBison
11-30-2018, 01:45 PM
If you’re bored go watch the MAC championship tomorrow night. Knock yourself out.

Two things can be true at once neil:

1. A really strong FCS program getting weaker makes the FCS more boring, not less

2. You can still find MAC games boring.

You are assuming that he is saying MAC is inherently more entertaining than FCS. He may or may not think that, but he is just saying that FCS becomes less entertaining when JMU isn't at full strength.

scottietohottie
11-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Is he taking the streamers with him?

bisonp
11-30-2018, 02:03 PM
Is he taking the streamers with him?

I heard ECU's new helmets would have streamers on them.

Vet70
11-30-2018, 02:05 PM

To be determined.

Bison 4 Life
11-30-2018, 02:18 PM
To be determined.

Also really strong team =/= really strong program. At this point they are about like Montana, 2000.

Bisonator98
11-30-2018, 02:23 PM

Not sure he's ever "built" anything. He has mostly won with other peoples recruits and transfers. Take a look at the programs he's left record wise and it's not good. Not sure his style is sustainable long term. Fire and brimstone pregame speeches only work so long.

23Bison
11-30-2018, 02:31 PM
Not sure he's ever "built" anything. He has mostly won with other peoples recruits and transfers. Take a look at the programs he's left record wise and it's not good. Not sure his style is sustainable long term. Fire and brimstone pregame speeches only work so long.

This seems to be the quickest way to get a decent FBS job (not considering ECU or Charlotte a decent anything) by getting a coaching gig at some good school that is already loaded with talent and win for two years and then take off for the next two year stint.

Vet70
11-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Also really strong team =/= really strong program. At this point they are about like Montana, 2000.

I can't find my ouija board I'll have to see what TAB's Magic 8 Ball says.

oldmantutters
11-30-2018, 02:48 PM
Was Gameday at JMU the year before Houston got there? When they had Vad Lee?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

tolnabison
11-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Reports that Charlotte is going to interview Will Healy (Austin-Peay's coach) and Eddie Gran (Kentucky Assistant) for their head job. Side note: A lot of JMU fans were hoping they would interview Healy if Houston leaves.

Houston had to use this offer as leverage for the East Carolina job, or Appalachian St. job (if Scott Satterfield takes the Louisville job).

Either way theirs a lot of turmoil and rumors surrounding is name, hard for for me to believe he will be JMUs coach much longer.

Professor Chaos
11-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Was Gameday at JMU the year before Houston got there? When they had Vad Lee?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Yes, that was in 2015. And they were also there again last year.

I remember shaking my head watching that first time they were there in 2015 and their old coach Everett Whithers brought their entire team down to the set during his live interview and then made a big show out of revealing the new helmets they'd be wearing for the game that day (with kickoff literally just a few hours away). The players acted like a bunch of pre-teen girls at a Justin Bieber concert when they saw the helmet and all there was to it was a white helmet with a purple strip and purple "M" on the side. I just thought myself I'm glad Bohl or Klieman didn't try a stunt like that when Gameday was in Fargo.

Oddly enough they lost at home that day they hosted Gameday in 2015 to their arch-rival Richmond.

Bison 4 Life
11-30-2018, 03:09 PM
Yes, that was in 2015. And they were also there again last year.

I remember shaking my head watching that first time they were there in 2015 and their old coach Everett Whithers brought their entire team down to the set during his live interview and then made a big show out of revealing the new helmets they'd be wearing for the game that day (with kickoff literally just a few hours away). The players acted like a bunch of pre-teen girls at a Justin Bieber concert when they saw the helmet and all there was to it was a white helmet with a purple strip and purple "M" on the side. I just thought myself I'm glad Bohl or Klieman didn't try a stunt like that when Gameday was in Fargo.

Oddly enough they lost at home that day they hosted Gameday in 2015 to their arch-rival Richmond.

They're really into their uniform choices. Makes us seem boring.

tony
11-30-2018, 03:13 PM
They should make a movie about this and call it THE LONG GOODBYE II.

Steve Carrell could play that role of Houston's pregame speeches by shouting "LOUD NOISES!".

Bison 4 Life
11-30-2018, 03:16 PM

Steve Carrell could play that role of Houston's pregame speeches by shouting "LOUD NOISES!".

Jeez, didn't know they had Minnesota Goodbyes in Virginia.

X-Factor
11-30-2018, 03:22 PM
Not that JMU won’t struggle somewhat from the coaching change, but I’m reading some comments here that seem to indicate they may fall off the map.

At least in the short term that simply isn’t true. Look at their roster, without assuming any transfers out they really aren’t losing anything this year besides a few RBs and CBs. JMU will be loaded next year, whoever coaches it...
They may or may not be NDSU caliber, but high seed worthy talent at very least

tony
11-30-2018, 03:29 PM
Jeez, didn't know they had Minnesota Goodbyes in Virginia.

Wish it was more like an Irish goodbye.

This is turning into the most boring saga since "The Saga of Olaf One-Eye" that tells the tale of his raiding in France in which he can't decide whether to turn left or right at Le Havre and ends up going to the market to look for tea towels but can't decide whether to get one with a floral design or one with embroidered with "I went raiding in France and all I got was this stupid tea towel." In the end, his boat rots on the beach and there is a vicious exchange of letters between him and his shipwright, Ivar Lowbid.

Vet70
11-30-2018, 03:33 PM

https://i.gifer.com/8MTC.gif

MankatoBison
11-30-2018, 03:34 PM
Not that JMU won’t struggle somewhat from the coaching change, but I’m reading some comments here that seem to indicate they may fall off the map.

At least in the short term that simply isn’t true. Look at their roster, without assuming any transfers out they really aren’t losing anything this year besides a few RBs and CBs. JMU will be loaded next year, whoever coaches it...
They may or may not be NDSU caliber, but high seed worthy talent at very least

You're right in alot of ways. they certainly have talent, and honestly now that JMU has built its FCS 'brand', I think maintaining success is as simple as finding a guy who has a cocky ass attitude who isnt HORRIBLE at coaching. The difficult stuff has already been established IMO.

Not unlike when Klieman took over here, yes we needed someone who is sharp on the football side, but we really needed someone who FIT the program as a human being, and Klieman is both of those things x100.

JMU just needs someone with a Napoleon complex who is mildly above average at football and I think we will see little to no drop off for the Dukes

Bison 4 Life
11-30-2018, 03:43 PM
JMU has been positioning themselves as the next NDSU, we learned last year that they didn't have what it takes.

Now, they can possibly be the next App State or GSU or something like that. They will be good, but there are a lot of teams in FCS that are perennial contenders but aren't super special.

Winning is Gr8
11-30-2018, 03:57 PM
We are loaded as well but if Coach CK leaves we may be in the same boat- need to keep this years recruiting class and hope QB play doesn't drop off to continue our run

tony
11-30-2018, 04:09 PM
https://i.gifer.com/8MTC.gif

You should know by now that my control panel only has one button. :)

BisonNation11
11-30-2018, 04:38 PM
And Charlotte takes the offer off the table... This is nuts.

Bison Bridge Guy
11-30-2018, 04:39 PM
Charlotte has withdrawn their contract offer.

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1068555913055719424

Bison 4 Life
11-30-2018, 04:40 PM

That means he's all in for ECU

NEBison
11-30-2018, 04:40 PM

I'm not sure whose fault i think this is. Charlotted let it leak too early but Houston leveraging his deal was obviously part of it too.

Bison 4 Life
11-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't that be just delicious if he stayed at JMU? What a shit show.

NDSU92
11-30-2018, 04:48 PM

Honestly what I wanted to have happen from the beginning. Burn all your bridges at JMU and then end up staying. Lose this year to Colgate and start pumping the “I didn’t leave because we aren’t done building this program yet!” Crap

cbline
11-30-2018, 04:49 PM

Good. The more disruption for the Dukes, the better.

Professor Chaos
11-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Honestly what I wanted to have happen from the beginning. Burn all your bridges at JMU and then end up staying. Lose this year to Colgate and start pumping the “I didn’t leave because we aren’t done building this program yet!” Crap
Agree with all of that but I want them to beat Colgate so they can come to the Fargodome next week and have their season end here.

EC8CH
11-30-2018, 04:58 PM

At least when the Bohl news broke it was a done deal. Didn't need to sway in the wind while your coach is out there interviewing between multiple teams.

Bison 4 Life
11-30-2018, 04:59 PM
Has anyone confirmed he is with the team? Seems like if he and ECU wanted to talk, it would have to be this weekend.

MankatoBison
11-30-2018, 06:28 PM

Correct... until the App state Job opens up... and then until the ______ job opens up... and then the ____ job after that

Mike Loyal AF (And definitely not just in it for the money) Houston

BisManBison
11-30-2018, 08:11 PM

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that his statement after practice the other night that "I've been offered a job and that is all" was a complete line of bullshit!! Colleges don't offer jobs without contract negotiations. This is all going to end badly for JMU no matter how this works out. He set JMU and himself back years in recruiting no matter where he ends up.

BadlandsBison
11-30-2018, 08:27 PM
I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that his statement after practice the other night that "I've been offered a job and that is all" was a complete line of bullshit!! Colleges don't offer jobs without contract negotiations. This is all going to end badly for JMU no matter how this works out. He set JMU and himself back years in recruiting no matter where he ends up.

Dude,

Houston said he is honest and up front in his dealings. It is Charlotte who should be ashamed of themselves. They should send Coach a $750k check as reparation.

HerdBot
11-30-2018, 08:43 PM
I'm not shocked at all. He has a great job and like Klieman, will get a lifetime contract. He is holding out for a better situation. Charlotte may pay more short term but the odds of getting fired go way way up. Hes making a half million right now. Hold out for triple or quadruple so if you get fired, you can retire

Bison 4 Life
11-30-2018, 08:49 PM
I'm not shocked at all. He has a great job and like Klieman, will get a lifetime contract. He is holding out for a better situation. Charlotte may pay more short term but the odds of getting fired go way way up. Hes making a half million right now. Hold out for triple or quadruple so if you get fired, you can retire

at this point, he has to take whatever is in front of him now, be it ECU or App. No way he could go back to JMU and do any sort of meaningful recruiting.

I think it just became a buyers market.

Mr Meaty
11-30-2018, 08:55 PM
at this point, he has to take whatever is in front of him now, be it ECU or App. No way he could go back to JMU and do any sort of meaningful recruiting.

Houston might have just “built” his own coffin. Can not stay at JMU anymore and save face and other schools might punt on him. Dead Man Coaching

StL Bison Fan
11-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Houston might have just “built” his own coffin. Can not stay at JMU anymore and save face and other schools might punt on him. Dead Man Coaching

Would you trust him to negotiate honestly?
I sure wouldn’t. Jmu needs to remember he doesn’t care about his contract (although they would get buyout).
He said the team is focused. Sure, will he, won’t he makes it easy.

Vet70
11-30-2018, 09:13 PM

If the time comes this would make a great sign. :rofl:

1st&TennBison
11-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Does anyone know for sure if this whole thing was released, or was it leaked?
If it was leaked, then I see no problem with how things are going down. Info is getting out before it was suppose to in that case. And negotiations for contracts and which school he goes to had not yet been finalized.
If this was released but made to look like a leak, then it is a whole different ball game. Trying to play schools against each other, and now one has backed out completely. Thus leaving him potentially with less bargaining power. And, making JMU look like chumps. Even if things did fall through, and he stayed with JMU, he will lose all credibility with his returning players.
The whole thing seems like a mess, but I hold final judgement until further or more accurate facts come to light.

VirginiaBison
11-30-2018, 09:24 PM
Wow! Just Wow! It appears greed trumps morals, loyalty, character, ethics and common sense. Who knew?

You have a safe and secure 10 year contact to build the team of a life time and for a few dollars more you screw everything up.

East Coast character mind set on display here.

NEBison
11-30-2018, 09:28 PM
Does anyone know for sure if this whole thing was released, or was it leaked?
If it was leaked, then I see no problem with how things are going down. Info is getting out before it was suppose to in that case. And negotiations for contracts and which school he goes to had not yet been finalized.
If this was released but made to look like a leak, then it is a whole different ball game. Trying to play schools against each other, and now one has backed out completely. Thus leaving him potentially with less bargaining power. And, making JMU look like chumps. Even if things did fall through, and he stayed with JMU, he will lose all credibility with his returning players.
The whole thing seems like a mess, but I hold final judgement until further or more accurate facts come to light.

Exactly, it's gonna be one of those things where everything seems fine until adversity hits. Then we will see how his kids respond to his message knowing what they know.

Vet70
11-30-2018, 09:41 PM
Funny thing about the reporting in the 2nd video on this page is that Houston led JMU to two National Championships. :facepalm:

https://www.whsv.com/content/sports/501469191.html

EC8CH
11-30-2018, 09:45 PM
Funny thing about the reporting in the 2nd video on this page is that Houston led JMU to two National Championships. :facepalm:

https://www.whsv.com/content/sports/501469191.html

Led them to two National Championship "APPEARANCES".

Seen their fans do this too says "back to back" nation championship games.

StL Bison Fan
11-30-2018, 09:46 PM
His team plays in less than 24 hours.
Gotta be fun for those kids.

VirginiaBison
11-30-2018, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=1st&TennBison;1314157]Does anyone know for sure if this whole thing was released, or was it leaked? /QUOTE] Various reports say it was leaked by Charlotte after Houston initially agreed. For them to now back out after they created the mess by leaking the signing in the first place seem a bit weird.

NDSUstudent
11-30-2018, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=1st&TennBison;1314157]Does anyone know for sure if this whole thing was released, or was it leaked? /QUOTE] Various reports say it was leaked by Charlotte after Houston initially agreed. For them to now back out after they created the mess by leaking the signing in the first place seem a bit weird.

I don't think Charlotte leaked it, Houston or his agent played them to get a better offer somewhere else. JMU's AD has to be furious, his coach is more worried about job searching than coaching.

DM05
11-30-2018, 10:28 PM

It would be great if he would say he's committed to coaching JMU until they lose, and next week both ECU and Charlotte hire coaches. NDSU blows them out of the water, and he has to go back to JMU with his tail between his legs and try to convince recruits that he will be around after they redshirt.

If JMU was smart, they would already be interviewing replacements and encouraging Houston to take a job and leave the team.

NDSU92
11-30-2018, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=VirginiaBison;1314170]

I don't think Charlotte leaked it, Houston or his agent played them to get a better offer somewhere else. JMU's AD has to be furious, his coach is more worried about job searching than coaching.

If Houston leaked it, he’s an idiot. He would have minimal to gain and a ton to lose. All Charlotte had to lose was spooking MH, in which they’d just find someone else. Charlotte had waaaay more to gain by leaking and trying to force his hand.

23Bison
11-30-2018, 10:54 PM
This whole thing is just delicious.

“He’ll be around for 10 more years because of his new contract” :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vet70
11-30-2018, 10:58 PM
If Houston leaked it, he’s an idiot. He would have minimal to gain and a ton to lose. All Charlotte had to lose was spooking MH, in which they’d just find someone else. Charlotte had waaaay more to gain by leaking and trying to force his hand.

I think there is a good possibility that it was not a calculated leak on the part of UNCC. When negotiations like this happen you can't keep it quiet and it could have been leaked by some yahoo.

NDSU92
11-30-2018, 11:03 PM
I think there is a good possibility that it was not a calculated leak on the part of UNCC. When negotiations like this happen you can't keep it quiet and it could have been leaked by some yahoo.

To the same random ass reporter who leaked Bohl leaving?

CAS4127
11-30-2018, 11:20 PM

Smh. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems nor as good. But everything is reparable with hard work.

Vet70
11-30-2018, 11:27 PM
Smh. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems nor as good. But everything is reparable with hard work.

And winning.....

Bison20
11-30-2018, 11:45 PM
Seems like Charlotte maybe leaked it so they could get him signed before other schools came calling. I would think there was a contract negotiated and waiting until he heard from ecu. He better be certain that he was ecu number 1 choice or he may have dug himself a hole

1st&TennBison
12-01-2018, 12:01 AM
To the same random ass reporter who leaked Bohl leaving?

The biggest difference is that with Bohl, it was leaked that he was leaving, it was all a done deal when people found out. So the team knew once it came out and there was no doubt. With Houston, it is as if he is out looking for someplace better while crying about not getting any respect. Bohl had 1 team come and he took it and it was over with. Houston is still out trying to work a deal, or so it seems. Kids at JMU have to be wondering when practice is over or the coach is out of sight if his mind is on them or if he is rushing off to get in contact with his next place of employment.

Professor Chaos
12-01-2018, 12:25 AM
I'd say he has plenty to gain. A better job, more money, etc. ECU was planning to wait until this Sunday to fire their coach and accelerated everything because of this. From his perspective I'd say (if he or his camp leaked it) he got the answer he was looking for about a better opportunity than Charlotte being available. With the way this is playing out Charlotte and JMU and looking like the losers in this situation and Houston, if he lands the ECU job, is the winner.

Bison20
12-01-2018, 12:43 AM
I'd say he has plenty to gain. A better job, more money, etc. ECU was planning to wait until this Sunday to fire their coach and accelerated everything because of this. From his perspective I'd say (if he or his camp leaked it) he got the answer he was looking for about a better opportunity than Charlotte being available. With the way this is playing out Charlotte and JMU and looking like the losers in this situation and Houston, if he lands the ECU job, is the winner.

I can't see how he is still coaching tomorrow. If you are a player how can you be prepared knowing your coach is looking for a different job and taking away from game preparations. Be interesting to see how they perform tomorrow. With bohl I think the players we had were the only reason they kept it together with all the seniors and experience.

NDSUstudent
12-01-2018, 12:48 AM
In my opinion Klieman saved the dynasty, if he had left for Wyo as well than Bohl would have had carte blanche to anything he wanted and we would have been stuck since there was no other realistic internal hire left.

I wish we had kicked Bohl's ass right out of the door on that Saturday night, if I was JMU I would tell Houston he has the weekend to figure out where he is going to coach.

VirginiaBison
12-01-2018, 12:54 AM
... Houston, if he lands the ECU job, is the winner.Hmmm, not sure if Houston is a winner; now ECU doesn't have to offer Houston original money to pry him away for Charlotte since he is poison fruit.

BisonCardinal
12-01-2018, 01:51 AM
In my opinion Klieman saved the dynasty, if he had left for Wyo as well than Bohl would have had carte blanche to anything he wanted and we would have been stuck since there was no other realistic internal hire left.

I wish we had kicked Bohl's ass right out of the door on that Saturday night, if I was JMU I would tell Houston he has the weekend to figure out where he is going to coach.

That 2013 team was on autopilot. Pretty sure that Brock and Grant O. could have coached that team to the title. Bohl needs to be in Bison Hall of Fame.

NDSUstudent
12-01-2018, 02:14 AM
That 2013 team was on autopilot. Pretty sure that Brock and Grant O. could have coached that team to the title. Bohl needs to be in Bison Hall of Fame.

If Klieman leaves with Bohl, it would have been open season on our entire recruiting class.

Bohl earned a spot in the HOF but that doesn't change the fact that he should have been shown the door when he decided to coach another team, you can't coach and recruit for two different programs.

Gully
12-01-2018, 02:27 AM
If Klieman leaves with Bohl, it would have been open season on our entire recruiting class.

Bohl earned a spot in the HOF but that doesn't change the fact that he should have been shown the door when he decided to coach another team, you can't coach and recruit for two different programs.

Well, he did, and we still won.

Gully
12-01-2018, 02:31 AM
Here is my question.....what would be a "good" way for a coach to handle these situations, especially now with signing day moved up?

If you're a good FCS coach having success, you're going to still be playing games this time of year. If you're out of it already, you're likely not a candidate for other jobs. If you wait until your team is done playing, most of the jobs are probably gone. Short of finishing the year and then taking a year off, how can a coach handle these situations without "wronging his current team/players".

It's easy to criticize these coaches, but what would you have them do if their goal is to advance?

BisonNeil
12-01-2018, 02:38 AM
Here is my question.....what would be a "good" way for a coach to handle these situations, especially now with signing day moved up?

If you're a good FCS coach having success, you're going to still be playing games this time of year. If you're out of it already, you're likely not a candidate for other jobs. If you wait until your team is done playing, most of the jobs are probably gone. Short of finishing the year and then taking a year off, how can a coach handle these situations without "wronging his current team/players".

It's easy to criticize these coaches, but what would you have them do if their goal is to advance?

Very good question. I suspect that contracts will be revised over time so that a departing coach can not legally poach an assistant coach without some buy out that removes financial hide from the departing HC if the team is still playing. That way the institutions can still have a chance to hold onto recruits with the remaining staff. There were pieces of this regarding recruits in Bobl’s contract but it was determined to not be enforceable since high school kids are not yet “employees” of the state.

NDSUstudent
12-01-2018, 02:49 AM
Well, he did, and we still won.

Lakes could have coached that team to a title at that point.

Bohl was in the football office, working for Wyoming, recruiting NDSU recruits to Wyoming...If we had nobody around to recruit for NDSU...it could have gotten ugly.

Bison20
12-01-2018, 03:01 AM

Bohl was in the football office, working for Wyoming, recruiting NDSU recruits to Wyoming...If we had nobody around to recruit for NDSU...it could have gotten ugly.

I agree, I think the main factor was keeping klieman and some of the other staff. If they had left it would have been interesting to see how many recruits would have left. It does seem unfair to the players and institutions to allow these coaches to take another job and keep coaching while recruiting for a different school

Vet70
12-01-2018, 03:01 AM

Whoa, whoa, now we are in full-blown hyperbole. :biggrin:

TAILG8R
12-01-2018, 03:08 AM
You doubt the power of the "Here we go Bison" chant starter?
Whoa, whoa, now we are in full-blown hyperbole. [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wagsabison
12-01-2018, 03:40 AM

I agree with a lot of this. For the top FCS coaches/programs they are in a really tough spot and inevitably run into a bohl/houston situation. The timing of it doesn’t help them whatsoever. I don’t know if there is a good way around it.

bisonfanette
12-01-2018, 03:43 AM
If the time comes this would make a great sign. :rofl:

and/or Houston has a Problem

NDSU92
12-01-2018, 03:47 AM

I agree, the situation sucks. Best way is to probably take the job, leave ASAP and let the school name an interim HC.

NDSU92
12-01-2018, 03:49 AM
You doubt the power of the "Here we go Bison" chant starter?

I thought it was “Let’s Go Bison” :confused:

TransAmBison
12-01-2018, 04:17 AM
Bohl did great things here...but with the way he left I'd never support HOF.

2011BisonAlumni
12-01-2018, 04:53 AM
Bohl did great things here...but with the way he left I'd never support HOF.

WTF did he do that was so bad?

He did EXACTLY what ever other college football coach has done when leaving for another head coaching job. Hell, he stayed and saw it through.

Who cares what he was doing in recruiting. I’m pretty fucking sure that was an expectation that he recruit for Wyoming.

The entire situation, if it was soured, was 100% on NDSU. They should have just let him go.

And regarding the timing.....fuck that. You owe your employer absolutely NOTHING. You leave when the opportunity is right.

MAKBison
12-01-2018, 05:12 AM
I think it got kinda dirty.....hiding/stealing files is the going rumor

bajadanny
12-01-2018, 05:49 AM

Watch the way ck will do it, as always the right way with class

1998braves64
12-01-2018, 11:40 AM
WTF did he do that was so bad?

He did EXACTLY what ever other college football coach has done when leaving for another head coaching job. Hell, he stayed and saw it through.

Who cares what he was doing in recruiting. I’m pretty fucking sure that was an expectation that he recruit for Wyoming.

The entire situation, if it was soured, was 100% on NDSU. They should have just let him go.

And regarding the timing.....fuck that. You owe your employer absolutely NOTHING. You leave when the opportunity is right.If it would have been just that would have been "fine". But from some of those here have said it was way more than that and rather than be "appreciative" of CK getting a head coaching job he basically has not talked to him since. Even GT has spoken about how he would have handled it differently since then. Jeff Kolpack's book also brings it up.

Thing is the people that know details have not made much of the situation public other than stealing recruit files and bringing in a Wyoming recruit on an official visit on NDSUs dime. Reading between the lines it was much more than that. So people just wanted it to stay classy what was done was done, can't change it now.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Gully
12-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Watch the way ck will do it, as always the right way with class

Ok, sure. But what is the right way? I've yet to really hear anyone have a great answer to that. One optioned mentioned is it accept your new job and simply resign immediately. At least that would be completely upfront, I suppose. You'd still have people saying, "how could he leave us in the middle of the season". I know I don't. To me the coaches are almost in a no-win situation in terms of public perception.

It's unrealistic to expect people to not want to advance their careers and the problems is the timing of the opportunities is awful for the program's the coaches are leaving.

Vet70
12-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Ok, sure. But what is the right way? I've yet to really hear anyone have a great answer to that. One optioned mentioned is it accept your new job and simply resign immediately. At least that would be completely upfront, I suppose. You'd still have people saying, "how could he leave us in the middle of the season". I know I don't. To me the coaches are almost in a no-win situation in terms of public perception.

It's unrealistic to expect people to not want to advance their careers and the problems is the timing of the opportunities is awful for the program's the coaches are leaving.

What if the whole staff goes with the HC?

NDSU1980
12-01-2018, 12:03 PM
I've always assumed that if Bohl had been told by Gene he was out immediately that Bohl would NOT have gotten his Natty bonus that year since he wasn't around for it. This alone should be reason enough to tell any coach his season with us just ended.

Mr Meaty
12-01-2018, 12:05 PM

Worst case scenario. Plain and simple.

HerdistheWord
12-01-2018, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=2011BisonAlumni;1314265]

And regarding the timing.....fuck that. You owe your employer absolutely NOTHING. You leave when the opportunity is right.[/QUOTE

In Bohl's case, NDSU was still cutting his checks and he absolutely owed them his loyalty to them for that period. His responsibility was to NDSU at that point. I am probably on the other extreme though, because i think when you make a commitment (i.e. sign a contract), then you hold up your end of the bargain. Working a second job that has interests conflicting with you first job is absolutley despicable, at least IMO. It is selfish and basically reaults in a deriliction of your first job's duties.

Gully
12-01-2018, 12:18 PM

Great point. That furthers the idea that there may not be any good answers.

Gully
12-01-2018, 12:19 PM
I've always assumed that if Bohl had been told by Gene he was out immediately that Bohl would NOT have gotten his Natty bonus that year since he wasn't around for it. This alone should be reason enough to tell any coach his season with us just ended.

Given his new salary at WYO, I'm not sure the national signing bonus at NDSU would have made a big difference.

Bison20
12-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Great point. That furthers the idea that there may not be any good answers.

I agree, if it's just the head coach that leaves it wouldn't be a big deal. What do you do though when he takes half the staff with him? Not fair to the kids that lose the coaches in the middle of a playoff run. The other argument is how much they are preparing vs recruiting for the other school. Its yo bad schools don't have to wait until after all the games to contact coaches but with recruiting they need to get someone asap so they can recruit/poach kids before the signing period. No win situation right now for anyone

NDSU92
12-01-2018, 12:30 PM

Exactly. I don’t get why people project their fanhood onto coaches and call them disloyal when they make a business decision to improve their family’s standard of living. It was always funny to me when fans freak out when a coach leaves, and the reaction seems “I love this program so much, why doesn’t he?”

Vet70
12-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Exactly. I don’t get why people project their fanhood onto coaches and call them disloyal when they make a business decision to improve their family’s standard of living. It was always funny to me when fans freak out when a coach leaves, and the reaction seems “I love this program so much, why doesn’t he?”

As the saying goes, if you want loyalty (or a friend) get a dog.

G_Funky
12-01-2018, 12:41 PM
IMO the only way to handle this situation is to remain transparent. The administration and the players need to be the first to know.

If it were me in this hypothetical situation I would tell the school that was fixin to hire me that I’ll sign the contract after I speak with my administration and my team. If this shit gets out before that, then you can tear that damn contract up.

I know that could lead to a pretty nasty situation...but you’re going to get a glimpse of the commitment you’re going to get from the new administration. If they want you bad enough they’ll figure a way to keep it quiet.

You could also compare it with kids leaving for the NFL early. I know at our level that’s highly unlikely but I think all those kids in that locker room know that if they are a junior and good enough to get drafted on day two that they’re going to take care of themselves. It’s not that you aren’t committed to your school...but you’re talking one year vs the rest of your life.

Gully
12-01-2018, 12:42 PM
I just read two or three of my recent posts and they all contain grammar or spelling errors. Therefore, I'm banning myself from BV for the next 19 minutes. I guess I need to stop drinking in the morning.

Professor Chaos
12-01-2018, 12:51 PM
An easy way to fix this coaching carousel frenzy is to make the early signing period actually early.... as in August before high school football starts. Most schools have a bunch of verbals by then anyway and it would make this time of year less hectic and rushed when it comes to coaching changes if schools have a good chunk of their classes already signed.

G_Funky
12-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Have there been any reports of players de-committing from JMU?

Professor Chaos
12-01-2018, 12:56 PM
IMO the only way to handle this situation is to remain transparent. The administration and the players need to be the first to know.

If it were me in this hypothetical situation I would tell the school that was fixin to hire me that I’ll sign the contract after I speak with my administration and my team. If this shit gets out before that, then you can tear that damn contract up.

I know that could lead to a pretty nasty situation...but you’re going to get a glimpse of the commitment you’re going to get from the new administration. If they want you bad enough they’ll figure a way to keep it quiet.

You could also compare it with kids leaving for the NFL early. I know at our level that’s highly unlikely but I think all those kids in that locker room know that if they are a junior and good enough to get drafted on day two that they’re going to take care of themselves. It’s not that you aren’t committed to your school...but you’re talking one year vs the rest of your life.

That sounds good enough in theory but the bigger commitment that school is making to you is in $$$$ not words or secrets. I'm sure Bohl was a little peeved that the news of him leaving got out the way it did. But peeved enough to tell the school making a 7 figure annual commitment to him to piss off? Nope... and I bet the vast majority of us would have done it the same way if we were in his shoes.

"Grrrrr.... you pissed me off but I'm still going to take your money"

StL Bison Fan
12-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Doesn’t the hiring school call the AD and ask to talk to the coach? Or is that someone else.
Didn’t Saul tell his players first? If I recall, there wasn’t a lot of animosity or hard feelings when he left.

TAILG8R
12-01-2018, 01:40 PM
You're right but to be fair(see what I did there) he did pretty much start anything of value and tradition when it comes to being a Bison fan.
I thought it was “Let’s Go Bison” :confused:

Bison20
12-01-2018, 01:42 PM
An easy way to fix this coaching carousel frenzy is to make the early signing period actually early.... as in August before high school football starts. Most schools have a bunch of verbals by then anyway and it would make this time of year less hectic and rushed when it comes to coaching changes if schools have a good chunk of their classes already signed.

That's a good idea although it's not fair to the kids who sign with a group of coaches the are comfortable with and have developed a relationship with.

BisonNation11
12-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Change the signing day to sometime in the early spring. No early signing period. Allows all the games to be played and any coaching changes to occur with plenty of time to make adjustments for new coaches. Kids would likely be RS if any coaching changes happen the following fall/winter. They can decide at that time to either stay with the new coach or transfer. If you want an early signing period, make it two weeks after all games are played, including championship games. That gives those coaches time to go through their meetings typically the week after the championship game and still keep kids locked in the week after that.

JMUVtFan
12-01-2018, 04:33 PM
Not sure he's ever "built" anything. He has mostly won with other peoples recruits and transfers. Take a look at the programs he's left record wise and it's not good.

This. I think Bob Trott is the real valuable asset. Houston has yet to prove himself to me. Houston won the national championship with Withers recruits. If anything, the offense has declined (quite significantly) since his arrival. The defense though...has been stellar. Last years defense may have been one of the top defenses to ever play FCS football. And he still couldn't win a national championship because he couldn't put points on the board consistently.

I will be more upset if Bob Trott leaves than Houston.

NCBison
12-01-2018, 07:05 PM
ECU currently getting pummeled by NC State 51-0

unbison
12-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Jmu looking like they may lose

JMUVtFan
12-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Jmu looking like they may lose

And surprise. Because of no offense. 5 turnovers and still a close game? NDSU should easily control whoever wins.

unbison
12-01-2018, 08:00 PM
And so the mystery of coach dynasty at jmu shall end

JMUVtFan
12-01-2018, 08:08 PM
And so the mystery of coach dynasty at jmu shall end

Nah, I still think he's gone. This loss shouldn't mean anything if the UNH loss was already considered 'acceptable'.

Professor Chaos
12-01-2018, 08:21 PM
That's a good idea although it's not fair to the kids who sign with a group of coaches the are comfortable with and have developed a relationship with.
Well you can do it the same way they do it in college basketball. If the coaching staff a recruit signs with is dumped the school has the option to do the right thing and let those kids out of their NLI. If they don't then they reap the benefits or lack thereof of having those kids transfer out later on.

23Bison
12-01-2018, 08:50 PM
They have a thread on their forum titled: Klieman to KSU. :rofl:

TAILG8R
12-01-2018, 09:03 PM
They can hope and dream all they want but NDSU isn't turning the worm.

Bison20
12-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Well you can do it the same way they do it in college basketball. If the coaching staff a recruit signs with is dumped the school has the option to do the right thing and let those kids out of their NLI. If they don't then they reap the benefits or lack thereof of having those kids transfer out later on.

Problem is most teams would already have filled their recruiting class so where would they go.

NDSU1980
12-01-2018, 10:26 PM
Given his new salary at WYO, I'm not sure the national signing bonus at NDSU would have made a big difference.

Not to him maybe, but it would to us.

Bison bison
12-02-2018, 01:10 AM
Strong believer that people need to be done the day they resign.

--thanks for the two weeks notice. I'll walk you out. You get your last paycheck in the mail and a box of your stuff will be by the loading dock tomorrow at 3 pm.

BisManBison
12-02-2018, 05:18 AM
They have a thread on their forum titled: Klieman to KSU. :rofl:

It was a link to McFooly's article in the GF Herald in mid November. Highly reliable source.

EC8CH
12-02-2018, 01:23 PM
It was a link to McFooly's article in the GF Herald in mid November. Highly reliable source.

Do any of them realize Mcfeely's visit is the reason for their wheels falling off this season?

JMB
12-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Do any of them realize Mcfeely's visit is the reason for their wheels falling off this season?

I wonder if we could convince them Rob Port is the secret to our continued success?

ByeSonBusiness
12-02-2018, 03:41 PM

--thanks for the two weeks notice. I'll walk you out. You get your last paycheck in the mail and a box of your stuff will be by the loading dock tomorrow at 3 pm.

Direct Deposit fam. Come on.

EC8CH
12-02-2018, 03:46 PM
In his Colgate post game he throws Charlotte under the bus saying he learned a lesson about associating himself with certain people. Pretty rich from a guy would negotiates a deal then asks them to hold his spot in consideration while he shops for a better deal all while supposedly having his current team his #1 priority just before losing to Patriot League Toothpaste U on an unadvised fake punt.

TAILG8R
12-02-2018, 04:01 PM
Last checks are almost always mailed and direct deposit stopped.
Direct Deposit fam. Come on.

NDSUstudent
12-02-2018, 07:51 PM
And he is gone...

Mike Houston from JMU, has agreed to be the new head football coach at ECU.

https://twitter.com/943TheGame/status/1069329447667544064

EC8CH
12-02-2018, 08:15 PM
And he is gone...

https://twitter.com/943TheGame/status/1069329447667544064

Houston knows when to get out of Dodge.

bisonfanette
12-02-2018, 10:51 PM
Email from the JMU - AD (but I'm not sure if this link will work... let's try.)

http://jmusports.fan-one.com/r/?id=h5788fdd8,47149253,47366337&p1=d8b1e5a50d2554b5d5

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-03-2018, 01:10 AM

Exactly, get them the hell out of there before they stir up a hornets nest of trouble.

NCBison
12-03-2018, 03:53 PM
ECU fans blowing up about their great hire and how he's going to rebuild the team. Should be fun watching the meltdown over the next couple of years.

DCinOK
12-03-2018, 03:58 PM
I can't stand the guy. Will go out of my way to cheer for whoever ECU plays.

StL Bison Fan
12-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Honest question.
He doesn’t seem to stay very long. How would one know if he’s good or not when he is using someone else’s recruits.
Is this like everything else where we just use stats and don’t look deeper?

EC8CH
12-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Looks like Duke's are losing their DC (Trott) who was the assistant most were hoping would stay after the coaching shake up. Apparently his wife spilled the beans on Facebook.

I also love the title of this thread is Houston going to Charlotte. Don't ever change it please.

Bison 4 Life
12-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Here is where you're going to see which is a good team vs. a good program.

I would contend that JMU has been a good team, but not an elite program.

EC8CH
12-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Here is where you're going to see which is a good team vs. a good program.

I would contend that JMU has been a good team, but not an elite program.

Difficult for a program that relies so heavily on transfers at key positions to maintain success year to year much less though a shake up of the coaching staff.

HerdBot
12-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Honest question.
He doesn’t seem to stay very long. How would one know if he’s good or not when he is using someone else’s recruits.
Is this like everything else where we just use stats and don’t look deeper?

If I were a program looking for a long term coach, Mike Houston is not on the list.

Professor Chaos
12-04-2018, 03:03 PM
If I were a program looking for a long term coach, Mike Houston is not on the list.
If Houston has done well enough to move on to a P5 gig after 3 years at ECU I'm pretty sure they'll be pretty happy with the state of the program considering how poorly they've done the last few years with Scottie Montgomery.

JMB
12-04-2018, 04:45 PM

Not looking to start a fight, as I think your position is completely justifiable. However I find it is interesting that if I resign and don't provide any notice, its considered bad form. However if I decide to leave and the company says, "hey thanks but no thanks", and I get walked out the door, no one (including me) thinks anything about it. Its fascinating how we have developed such different standards for employers and employees.

PattyBison
12-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Not looking to start a fight, as I think your position is completely justifiable. However I find it is interesting that if I resign and don't provide any notice, its considered bad form. However if I decide to leave and the company says, "hey thanks but no thanks", and I get walked out the door, no one (including me) thinks anything about it. Its fascinating how we have developed such different standards for employers and employees.

The companies that I am familiar with who walk you out, will pay you the 2 weeks. Not saying that happens everywhere though.

GreenfieldBison
12-04-2018, 06:02 PM
The companies that I am familiar with who walk you out, will pay you the 2 weeks. Not saying that happens everywhere though.

Right - should be paid for the remainder of the notice period. Whether one is walked out on the spot or not should depend on responsibility and access. Risk and risk perception must be controlled.

KC Bison
12-06-2018, 02:40 AM
Who cares if half on JMU recruits leave after this, they rely on transfers.

56BISON73
12-06-2018, 04:00 AM

I think giving a notice and being walked out is all determined by the position you hold and the company you work for. In the healthcare industry giving notice is looked on very favorably and appreciated. Especially the nurses , technologists and the support staff.

Bison 4 Life
12-06-2018, 11:34 AM
I think giving a notice and being walked out is all determined by the position you hold and the company you work for. In the healthcare industry giving notice is looked on very favorably and appreciated. Especially the nurses , technologists and the support staff.

Yep. On the last day at my last job I was casually able to walk down to the security office, turn in my assets (laptop, badge, etc) and able to walk out of the building unsecured. Even kind of hung around to say goodbye to everyone that morning before I did it. Highly sensitive medical record provider.

scottietohottie
12-06-2018, 11:46 AM
I've still got the keys for the buildings of my last 2 jobs.

Also pretty sure I could still get both jobs back in an instant.

Bison"FANatic"
12-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Yep. On the last day at my last job I was casually able to walk down to the security office, turn in my assets (laptop, badge, etc) and able to walk out of the building unsecured. Even kind of hung around to say goodbye to everyone that morning before I did it.

So you turned in your walky talky and the sign you hold at the entrance to the construction zone to the new building they were putting up???????????? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::innocent::inn ocent::bow::bow:

Bison 4 Life
12-06-2018, 02:18 PM
So you turned in your walky talky and the sign you hold at the entrance to the construction zone to the new building they were putting up???????????? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::innocent::inn ocent::bow::bow:

Yep. my mop and bucket too.

04 Badger
12-06-2018, 03:15 PM
I can't stand the guy. Will go out of my way to cheer for whoever ECU plays.
He is a jerk!!!

KidZer0
12-07-2018, 12:46 AM
https://twitter.com/madia_dnrsports/status/1070848720214941698?s=21

From Greg Madia @Madia_DNRSports, JMU Beat Writer

“According to sources, James Madison RB coach De'Rail Sims, WR coach Drew Dudzik, IR/TE coach Fontel Mines, OL coach Steve Shankweiler, DL Coach Jeff Hanson, ST coordinator Roy Tesh, strength coach John Williams and DFO Dale Steele are all following Mike Houston to ECU.”

TAILG8R
12-07-2018, 12:59 AM
Not surprising and unlikely most of those positions would have been carried over under a new coach.

But it does mean someone has a lot on their plate to hire all those positions and try to recruit ahead of early signing day.

“According to sources, James Madison RB coach De'Rail Sims, WR coach Drew Dudzik, IR/TE coach Fontel Mines, OL coach Steve Shankweiler, DL Coach Jeff Hanson, ST coordinator Roy Tesh, strength coach John Williams and DFO Dale Steele are all following Mike Houston to ECU.”

Bison bison
12-07-2018, 01:03 AM
Houston should have held out for Maryland, they just hired a guy with a 3-31 record as a head coach, gave up an average of 40 point a game, and lost to Sam Houston State.

Vet70
12-07-2018, 01:03 AM

Merry Christmas.

bisonaudit
12-07-2018, 01:08 AM
Houston should have held out for Maryland, they just hired a guy with a 3-31 record as a head coach, gave up an average of 40 point a game, and lost to Sam Houston State.

Maryland athletic department is in shambles. It’s been a viper pit of intrigue and infighting for over a decade and now it’s self immolating. He’s better off not being there.

Professor Chaos
12-07-2018, 01:15 AM
Looks like they retained 2 position coaches: https://jmusports.com/roster.aspx?path=football#sidearm-roster-coaches

Would've been a similar situation to here when Bohl left if he would've took Klieman with him leaving only Goeser and Riley behind.

NDSUstudent
12-07-2018, 01:28 AM
It is tough when you don't have a Klieman to take over the reigns, I worry about this if we have to go through an external hire. It isn't easy to find a new coaching quickly and I'm sure ND has laws that make the process even more difficult than it needs to be.

EC8CH
12-07-2018, 01:43 AM
Looks like they retained 2 position coaches: https://jmusports.com/roster.aspx?path=football#sidearm-roster-coaches

Would've been a similar situation to here when Bohl left if he would've took Klieman with him leaving only Goeser and Riley behind.

The other shoe has dropped.

Early signing period is the next concern.

Bison 4 Life
12-07-2018, 01:58 AM
At least Dudz doesn't have to fake it for JMU anymore, his cousin's going to ECU.

Vet70
12-07-2018, 03:50 AM
I would say "Caption This Picture" but it would be too easy.
https://i.imgur.com/uoHTrjk.jpg

B. b. bison
12-07-2018, 04:59 AM

https://i.imgur.com/xORVF6d.gif

Christopher Moen
12-07-2018, 06:41 AM

http://www.localvisibilitysystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/maxwell-smart-chief.jpg

cbline
12-07-2018, 12:11 PM

"The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University announced today a major expansion of its Proctology Department."

Mr Meaty
12-07-2018, 12:14 PM
ten char//////

Mr Meaty
12-07-2018, 12:16 PM

Hey ECU look at my Championship ring from JMU. This is as close to seeing one as we will get coaching here.

Bison"FANatic"
12-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Only one ring on the finger, so sad......................

Bisonator98
12-07-2018, 02:09 PM
What kind of a douche bag wears a championship ring he won at another school to his next schools press conference? Good god this guy has zero self awareness. :facepalm:

Vet70
12-07-2018, 02:17 PM
What kind of a douche bag wears a championship ring he won at another school to his next schools press conference? Good god this guy has zero self awareness. :facepalm:

My gosh, I didn't catch that--- I was paying too much attention to Houston signaling how small it is....:rofl:

23Bison
12-07-2018, 02:36 PM

When I read this I thought that there is know way he did this. I mean what in the helllll.... Immediately following I came to my senses and realized he is THE ONE AND ONLY MIKE HOUSTON!

For all JMU fans creeping on here, this is pretty much the reason nobody likes Houston. Arrogant prick.

Bison 4 Life
12-07-2018, 02:38 PM
When I read this I thought that there is know way he did this. I mean what in the helllll.... Immediately following I came to my senses and realized he is THE ONE AND ONLY MIKE HOUSTON!

For all JMU fans creeping on here, this is pretty much the reason nobody likes Houston. Arrogant prick.

That's also why they like him.

23Bison
12-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Very good point.

CalBison97
12-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Thought the same thing. BUT, it would look damn impressive if CK wore all 6 at his K-State presser. #jumpingthegun?

perthbison
12-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Thought the same thing. BUT, it would look damn impressive if CK wore all 6 at his K-State presser. #jumpingthegun?Old Snyder would likely tip over from the big one if CK did that

23Bison
12-12-2018, 11:09 PM
Sorry for bringing up very unimportant threads while we are patiently waiting for our new coach to be named and the semi final game are ahead of us I had to go check out other forums to see what’s going on like if JMU found a coach yet for example. What I stumbled on was their bitching about our mods having locked a thread so they couldn’t read the obvious meltdown Bizon fans are going through and then comparing their coach going to a “P6” conference and ours going to Kansas State. (Yes the guy said power 6) Also saying that it only took 6 years or some sh!t for Houston to go from a high school coach to P6 job and it took Klieman 11 years to get to FBS.

I just thought it was funny and wanted to share.

Bison 4 Life
12-12-2018, 11:15 PM
It was that stupid "Klieman lied" thread that didn't belong on the football board. It got moved to the Watering hole where it was better suited. It didn't get locked but they love feeling slighted at every turn.
Sorry for bringing up very unimportant threads while we are patiently waiting for our new coach to be named and the semi final game are ahead of us I had to go check out other forums to see what’s going on like if JMU found a coach yet for example. What I stumbled on was their bitching about our mods having locked a thread so they couldn’t read the obvious meltdown Bizon fans are going through and then comparing their coach going to a “P6” conference and ours going to Kansas State. (Yes the guy said power 6) Also saying that it only took 6 years or some sh!t for Houston to go from a high school coach to P6 job and it took Klieman 11 years to get to FBS.

Vet70
12-12-2018, 11:15 PM

P6? I.m sure he meant ECU was "Pud 6" (and that is the first and last time I will use the term).

23Bison
12-12-2018, 11:26 PM
P6? I.m sure he meant ECU was "Pud 6" (and that is the first and last time I will use the term).

No he knew what he was saying. Not a direct quote but said (Power 6) “yes I’ll use that term here”. Also I as many know that KSU hasn’t been a world beater for a while but they did go on to say the ECU was a better football program compared to KSU. That statement doesn’t sound very accurate to me either. They sure are trying he’s over there.

Professor Chaos
12-13-2018, 01:36 PM
It's a good thing Mike Houston's voice didn't do the same thing Klieman's is the week he was hired away. This final impression he would've left on his JMU players would've been a soft and squeaky pre-game speech in Hamilton, NY... would've been horrible.

Bison56
12-13-2018, 02:07 PM
JMU fans are so insecure.

Vet70
12-13-2018, 03:04 PM
JMU fans are so insecure.

P6 envy.....

EC8CH
12-14-2018, 06:32 PM
JMU Fan #1: "They also slammed Houston for talking about losing to a healthy UNH, yet the first thing they say when someone brings up their loss to us in the Fargodome is that it was because they were depleted by injuries."

Narrator: That's the Joke.

JMU Fan #2: "And they seem to forget that we had 7 players suspended for that game"

Narrator: No they don't. Also the Joke.