PDA

View Full Version : hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Burnt_Secondary
11-27-2018, 03:07 PM
In the Gonzaga thread Bisonator98 mentioned that we need to get Richman out of here before he runs this program into the ground like the NDSU women's program. That got me thinking, has it already happened? I am starting to think we are hitting the rocks this season and we might have hung on to him one year too long. I know his contract is up this year but I worry that it is too late.

I know if my six year old son didn't want season tickets we wouldn't have gotten them this year. I don't post much here anymore because, well I don't really care. This coming from someone who would say college basketball is pretty close to my favorite sport.

I would say we lost the casual fans before we ever got them and we are losing real basketball fans at this point.

Thoughts great NDSU Basketball minds? I will hang up and listen.

HerdBot
11-27-2018, 03:19 PM
2 assists. High attrition. 2 dribbles and launching a three. Poor player development. Both South Dakota schools and the school up north are vastly superior. He needs to go before the SHAC is empty. I dont believe in the program.

CAS4127
11-27-2018, 03:38 PM
McFeely stirring the pot
https://twitter.com/mikemcfeelywday/status/1067258730138472448

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonNation11
11-27-2018, 03:41 PM
I would say he hasn't run the program into the ground. There are some seriously talented kids on the current roster. How he got some of them here is still beyond me. So where does the problem lie? I'd say development and the X's and O's. He clearly has a knack for recruiting when he wants to. But once they're here, they don't seem to get much better. I'd say he's setup whomever comes after him fairly well with talent. Just need someone here who can take the kids to the next level. A solid season and the fans will be back. Just hope Richman isn't.

Mr Meaty
11-27-2018, 03:52 PM
The lack of development of the players and lack of an offense is what stands out to me. AJ peaked as a freshman, Spencer really did not improve, Dylan never got any better just to point out of few. He talks about culture and family. Well that is on the football program that has that. Though I do see better team chemistry this year that in past years. Time for a change at HC. I agree we have some very good talent on this team and it will just take the right system to get them to excel.

Bisonator98
11-27-2018, 03:55 PM
I would say he hasn't run the program into the ground. There are some seriously talented kids on the current roster. How he got some of them here is still beyond me. So where does the problem lie? I'd say development and the X's and O's. He clearly has a knack for recruiting when he wants to. But once they're here, they don't seem to get much better. I'd say he's setup whomever comes after him fairly well with talent. Just need someone here who can take the kids to the next level. A solid season and the fans will be back. Just hope Richman isn't.

Agree with this. This years recruits look to be very talented but I don't have faith in Richman getting the most out of them. He is an awful in game coach that's been proven over the last 4 years. His staffs player development is seriously lacking. Like I said in the other thread if they don't make some noise come conference time he should be packing his bags.

StL Bison Fan
11-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Players have a limited number of years to play. I don’t think they want to use up their time waiting for a coach to change.
It looks like he comes up with a game plan and cannot deviate from it. When someone gets hot, the plan doesn’t change. Happened a lot with Dex. Looked like it happened last night.
I do wonder about locker room culture. Things look better this year but will it last? Sitting up in the stands you can just feel that things aren’t right.
Revisiting BB basics couldnt hurt either.

tjbison
11-27-2018, 04:10 PM
IMO, they should have went out of house for a coach when Saul left, Program was on a streak, Well recognized, new facility coming. Everything a good up and coming coach wanted.

We pulled a UND Football hire with DR.

Kujava23
11-27-2018, 04:24 PM
I used to drive 2 1/2 hours to watch games DURING THE WEEK---when I had season tickets----CANCELLED THEM

I hate everything about Richman's Program---X's and O's--especially after timeouts, lack of player development, poor game management, poor sub patterns, and REALLY tired of listening to him talk about building a culture---OF LOSSSINNNGGGG maybe and no expectations!!!

CAN'T WAIT TILL HE'S GONE

WHAT ARE % of him ACTUALLY STAYING????? Really it has to be less than 25% now RIGHT???

ndsubison1
11-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Dylan Miller started for about 1.5 years here. Dexter came off the bench. Think about it.

Kujava23
11-27-2018, 04:40 PM
So let's look at Richman's strengths and weaknesses IMO

Strength----Recruiting has brought in some talented players---also brought some that are HOW would they play here too though

Weaknesses---Game Management(sub patterns, using timeouts well, drawing up OB plays) Player Development--many players as examples that haven't improved their weaknesses to strengths, Offensive System---not creative at all to get your BETTER players easier looks/shots, not friendly to create plays for each other but exchange spots and swing ball around the perimeter to milk shot clock and pray make a jumpshot---so minimize possessions which makes defense look better
Media Savvy- looks down a lot when talking---talks about culture all the time---looks angry while coaching (facial expressions) don't see coaching up players during game--

REALLYYYYY think he as an assistant coach material----NOT A HEAD COACH

Kujava23
11-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Dylan Miller started for about 1.5 years here. Dexter came off the bench. Think about it.

OH I KNOW---PISSED ME OFF

Dylan Miller had so many limitations; Dex was 6th man of year JR year averaging 21mpg; thannnnnn SR year came off bench and averaged 24mpg

Richhhhyyyy should be thankful Dex's dad didn't whoop his ass

HuskerBizon
11-27-2018, 05:00 PM
I had season tickets and after watching the trend Richmond was leading us. I got rid of them. I will not pay to watch terrible basketball. We were so spoiled with Miles and Saul. Yes Saul had a few down years however his teams had fight. We aren't even competitive anymore. Heck we won how many games over SDSU in a row? Now we struggle to beat our rivals.

Its beyond PATHETIC

Professorbum
11-27-2018, 05:39 PM
We're 2-5 against D1 teams right now. We have 5 more D1 games before conference play. I predict we go 1-4 in those. That'll put us at 3-9 heading into our conference opponents. If we then lose the first 2 of those games (both at home), I'm guessing Richman is done right then and there. An assistant steps up to interim coach. Then (to my disappointment) we start scanning the D3 landscape for someone who wants to be a D1 coach on the cheap.

Professor Chaos
11-27-2018, 05:47 PM
We're 2-5 against D1 teams right now. We have 5 more D1 games before conference play. I predict we go 1-4 in those. That'll put us at 3-9 going heading into our conference opponents. If we then lose the first 2 of those games (both at home), I'm guessing Richman is done right then and there. An assistant steps up to interim coach. Then (to my disappointment) we start scanning the D3 landscape for someone who wants to be a D1 coach on the cheap.
I highly doubt we'll see any coaching changes midseason (unless it's due to something off the court).

HerdThat!
11-27-2018, 05:55 PM
I used to drive 2 1/2 hours to watch games DURING THE WEEK---when I had season tickets----CANCELLED THEM

I hate everything about Richman's Program---X's and O's--especially after timeouts, lack of player development, poor game management, poor sub patterns, and REALLY tired of listening to him talk about building a culture---OF LOSSSINNNGGGG maybe and no expectations!!!

CAN'T WAIT TILL HE'S GONE

WHAT ARE % of him ACTUALLY STAYING????? Really it has to be less than 25% now RIGHT???

to answer the question: YES!
and then spot on with K23
But I'm sure we'll get the apologists that'll come on and say "that was the #1 team in the country!" crap - this has been the steady downfall of Bison hoops since Richman came on as HC

Professorbum
11-27-2018, 05:56 PM
I highly doubt we'll see any coaching changes midseason (unless it's due to something off the court).

I dunno. I've been bummed at the crickets from the athletics dept through all this. But I can see Richman's seat going to boiling hot over night if we keep losing in the manner we are. Let's say a 15 point loss to USD and a 10 point loss to IPFW, both at home in front of 300 fans and the band... That might actually wake Matt Larson up as to the basketball woes.

I'm probably off on my timing though. Richman wouldn't get let go before the FCS championship, assuming we're still in it. If somehow we're eliminated from the championship, Richman might really be in trouble as the Athletics dept will be in a sour mood to begin with.

thebigund
11-27-2018, 06:37 PM
What’s wrong with Richmond? I like what he’s done with the place. He’s tall.

Bisonator98
11-27-2018, 07:39 PM

He doesn't have any eligibilty left.:)

StL Bison Fan
11-27-2018, 07:39 PM

Yes. But he is a bad dresser. He needs to lose the brown suit.

Bisonator98
11-27-2018, 07:44 PM
Yes. But he is a bad dresser. He needs to lose the brown suit.

What's with the blue outside and brown inside? Is it reversible? :confused:

Mr. Burgundy
11-27-2018, 07:50 PM
We're 2-5 against D1 teams right now. We have 5 more D1 games before conference play. I predict we go 1-4 in those. That'll put us at 3-9 heading into our conference opponents. If we then lose the first 2 of those games (both at home), I'm guessing Richman is done right then and there. An assistant steps up to interim coach. Then (to my disappointment) we start scanning the D3 landscape for someone who wants to be a D1 coach on the cheap.

I am not trying to be rude, but the last part of your comment is absolutely incorrect. The NDSU job is a GREAT D1 job. Fargo is a great community. Compare the community to a lot of other SUmmit league/similar league cities. Fargo is nice. NDSU is large. We pay very well. We have cost of attendance and a brand new facility, and we have won. That matters. Coaches can look at this place and see two guys at higher jobs than NDSU..proof that you can win in Fargo. We don't graduate anyone. Great young program. We would have a REALLY good list of resumes to look at. A lot of high major assistants take pay cuts to get their first head job. Craig Smith was one. But, he is just one example. There are a small # of D1 jobs in America. A lot of guys want them. We aren't chasing guys on the cheap. NDSU has never been on the cheap. (this goes for NDSU women too...).

23Bison
11-27-2018, 07:57 PM
Frustrating watching soo much talent and potential being wasted like this.

Who or where would you like to see the new head coach come from if our current one was giving his walking papers? I'd have to imagine that there are some great assistant coaches out there either the big conferences and or successful mid majors that would be a great fit.

Please discuss.

MNLonghorn10
11-27-2018, 08:09 PM
He sucks. Theres nothing else to it.

Ive been wanting him out since mid to late 2016. Good to see others are starting to see this now

oldmantutters
11-27-2018, 08:15 PM
He sucks. Theres nothing else to it.

Ive been wanting him out since mid to late 2016. Good to see others are starting to see this nowRight there with ya big dog. That's about the time they were REALLY running the weave with zero creativity. Hard product to watch and get excited about.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Professorbum
11-27-2018, 08:45 PM
I am not trying to be rude, but the last part of your comment is absolutely incorrect. The NDSU job is a GREAT D1 job. Fargo is a great community. Compare the community to a lot of other SUmmit league/similar league cities. Fargo is nice. NDSU is large. We pay very well. We have cost of attendance and a brand new facility, and we have won. That matters. Coaches can look at this place and see two guys at higher jobs than NDSU..proof that you can win in Fargo. We don't graduate anyone. Great young program. We would have a REALLY good list of resumes to look at. A lot of high major assistants take pay cuts to get their first head job. Craig Smith was one. But, he is just one example. There are a small # of D1 jobs in America. A lot of guys want them. We aren't chasing guys on the cheap. NDSU has never been on the cheap. (this goes for NDSU women too...).

I don't see your comment as being rude. To the contrary, you quite politely and reasonably countered my pessimism. I agree NDSU is a great place to be. My prediction was that we'd look to fill the job on the cheap. My evidence of cheapness (which may simply be a function of the money we wish we had, but we don't) is that we've allowed the basketball program to collapse without making a change, presumably because we didn't want to buyout a contract. So we're just ridding out the decline. A program not on the cheap would be like, "enough of this crap... We need to find a named and successful coach and become the mid-major everyone expects us to be." Where could we find a named coach? Well, like you said...NDSU is a decent place to be at. Or should be. We're a research 1, land-grant university. We're national champions in football. Perhaps a small-school D1 coach, maybe from a lower paying private college, would want to come here. But instead, will we pursue an assistant currently attached to the team? Or a JUCO coach? Or a D3 coach? None of those options are creative. None of those options are bold. All of those options are cheap. And I fear that's exactly what we're going to do. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Mr. Burgundy
11-27-2018, 08:55 PM
I have been very vocal that ALL our jobs should be open for anyone. Volleyball, hoops, football...why wouldn't you want to see who is out there? I am quite positive our next coach will be from a high major who has been waiting his turn to be a head coach. That is all. Thanks for the polite discussion. NO question we need to either turn this around quickly. I would just love some positive energy. I watched the entire game last night. Still think we have some really great SUmmit level pieces.

NDSUstudent
11-27-2018, 09:25 PM
To me the ETSU game was more frustrating, they are a solid but not exactly elite mid-major and we never really challenged them. Oddly when Saul left, Forbes who coaches ETSU is a guy I thought the school should have looked at. I fully expected Gonzaga would blow our doors off but like everyone has said when Samuelson is leading the team in minutes and even the Gonzaga announcers are wondering what is going on with Gue, it just adds to the pile of concerns I have regarding the direction of this team. These concerns started with how Richman played Dex and his love affair with the weave offense.

If we make change I fully expect Larsen to make a splashy hire, it will likely be his first major hire and no doubt he will want to make his mark. I think Richman has been a tough issue for him, Dave had a lot of success early and has progressively fallen off track. I don't think he is still here because the athletic departmetn is cheap, they gave him a final shot that could be argued he deserves. I think that will be looked at favorably by potential coaches if we go in a new direction.

steelbison
11-27-2018, 09:53 PM
lets talk about scoring the basketball. we are trying to play old school when everything now is scoring. Dave gets upset about a defensive breakdown when he should be more upset about the way we play offense.

All rules are for more scoring and players come from High School that are able to put the ball in the basket. We need a "culture change" bigtime on how to score more points. What we do is run the same old crap that hasnt worked for the past few years. We are 279th this year in scoring. That isnt even close to good enough and has been Daves problem since he took over.

Professor Chaos
11-27-2018, 09:56 PM
If Nebraska fails to make the tournament this year we might see a former Bison coach on the market this offseason....

I know it won't happen but humor me.

Professorbum
11-27-2018, 09:58 PM
To me the ETSU game was more frustrating, they are a solid but not exactly elite mid-major and we never really challenged them. Oddly when Saul left, Forbes who coaches ETSU is a guy I thought the school should have looked at. I fully expected Gonzaga would blow our doors off but like everyone has said when Samuelson is leading the team in minutes and even the Gonzaga announcers are wondering what is going on with Gue, it just adds to the pile of concerns I have regarding the direction of this team. These concerns started with how Richman played Dex and his love affair with the weave offense.

If we make change I fully expect Larsen to make a splashy hire, it will likely be his first major hire and no doubt he will want to make his mark. I think Richman has been a tough issue for him, Dave had a lot of success early and has progressively fallen off track. I don't think he is still here because the athletic departmetn is cheap, they gave him a final shot that could be argued he deserves. I think that will be looked at favorably by potential coaches if we go in a new direction.

Actually, that's a really good point.

BisonTeacher
11-27-2018, 10:26 PM
I havent read the whole thread, and havent watched many games this year yet...theres 2 burgundy posts in this thread and neither of them are defending the coach. That says enough for me.

Gully
11-27-2018, 11:07 PM
I haven't really watched at all this year and I have no inside information and I'm not a great basketball mind. That said, watching him coach and the body language of the team, it just doesn't seem like they want to play for him. He just looks like he's really grumpy and it seems like he beats them down, again just a feeling and could be completely off. That style might have worked 20-30 years ago, but I just don't see it now. Is this the final year of his contract or is there one more year?

Castor Troy
11-27-2018, 11:40 PM
I haven't really watched at all this year and I have no inside information and I'm not a great basketball mind. That said, watching him coach and the body language of the team, it just doesn't seem like they want to play for him. He just looks like he's really grumpy and it seems like he beats them down, again just a feeling and could be completely off. That style might have worked 20-30 years ago, but I just don't see it now. Is this the final year of his contract or is there one more year?

I think that this will be the end of the Tim Miles coaching tree at NDSU

El_Chapo
11-28-2018, 01:06 AM
This team will be 2-10

You'd think that would be enough.

But mr stony brook is so small time, he won't even call a FBS conference commissioner. Let alone fire a coach

Sad really

KSBisonFan
11-28-2018, 01:14 AM
I havent read the whole thread, and havent watched many games this year yet...theres 2 burgundy posts in this thread and neither of them are defending the coach. That says enough for me.

I'm with you. I don't care for Dave's coaching style or personnel decisions but I'll give him credit for some of the talent he's brought in. I've also refrained from attacking him because he's gone above and beyond for a family member who's had some health issues. Dave's a good guy. BUT, the trend is not good. I question the interaction with players and assistant coaches. The kids look like they are pressing and frustrated. They play tight. The exception was the UCSB game, which was a joy to watch. I don't have a problem with the attrition (except for the starting guard who's now on the west coast). Most of those kids weren't D-1 players. I'm concerned we'll lose some current players with upside after this season. There's nothing to indicate we'll get better as the season progresses because that hasn't happened under Dave's watch. Really frustrating to see the same thing every year. Sucks talking about replacing a coach due to poor results as opposed to moving on to a bigger, better opportunity.

ndsubison1
11-28-2018, 01:35 AM
I dunno. I've been bummed at the crickets from the athletics dept through all this. But I can see Richman's seat going to boiling hot over night if we keep losing in the manner we are. Let's say a 15 point loss to USD and a 10 point loss to IPFW, both at home in front of 300 fans and the band... That might actually wake Matt Larson up as to the basketball woes.

I'm probably off on my timing though. Richman wouldn't get let go before the FCS championship, assuming we're still in it. If somehow we're eliminated from the championship, Richman might really be in trouble as the Athletics dept will be in a sour mood to begin with.

I highly doubt anything will be done in season

TAILG8R
11-28-2018, 01:48 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing. I also think NDSUstudent is on to something with Matt Larsen most likely wanting to make a splash with a hire.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

CAS4127
11-28-2018, 02:29 AM
The thing with Richman is he’s all about himself. His personality and all-important self is easy to see through. The way he talks and represents himself is telling. He’s the most important guy in the room, just ask him.

I personally can not stand the guy—but that’s just me. They way he talks?? Good God already... can’t see how a college kids relates if they have any sense of self-respect.

TAILG8R
11-28-2018, 03:02 AM
I get the feeling that when he got this job it went to his head. He's from here and knows how big NDSU is around this area and now he's the big man on campus. He's always rubbed me the wrong way to with the way he holds himself and the way he talks.
The thing with Richman is he’s all about himself. His personality and all-important self is easy to see through. The way he talks and represents himself is telling. He’s the most important guy in the room, just ask him.

I personally can not stand the guy—but that’s just me. They way he talks?? Good God already... can’t see how a college kids relates if they have any sense of self-respect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bisonfanette
11-28-2018, 03:48 AM

EVERYTHING you just mentioned, makes me want to say ~ The apple didn't fall very far...
(Honestly, IMO... you just nailed it. )

CalBison97
11-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Khy Kabellis and Carlin Dupree (though he later returned) figured it out and left the program. I’m shocked we still have Geu. The way he was misused last year has surprisingly carried over to this year is an absolute travesty. AJ’s lack of development was a concern and now seems to have trickled down to others in our program. Player development should be number one for a coach. Need to see an example of how that works? Look at our football team and see how good freshman progress throughout their careers and become phenomenal seniors. Yes, I know our football team is a different type of beast, but there is no excuse for the minute progression our freshman seem to make from year to year.

Professor Chaos
11-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Khy Kabellis and Carlin Dupree (though he later returned) figured it out and left the program. I’m shocked we still have Geu. The way he was misused last year has surprisingly carried over to this year is an absolute travesty. AJ’s lack of development was a concern and now seems to have trickled down to others in our program. Player development should be number one for a coach. Need to see an example of how that works? Look at our football team and see how good freshman progress throughout their careers and become phenomenal seniors. Yes, I know our football team is a different type of beast, but there is no excuse for the minute progression our freshman seem to make from year to year.
Bingo! And add to the fact that this is a "young team" they can't afford to dick around anymore when it comes to player development. I guess the good news for Richman and staff is that with the way the season has started there's a looooooot of room for improvement so they're going to have to develop players in season this year if they have any hope of keeping their positions I think.

westnodak93bison
11-28-2018, 02:01 PM
EVERYTHING you just mentioned, makes me want to say ~ The apple didn't fall very far...
(Honestly, IMO... you just nailed it. )He was highly recommended by Miles & Philips if I remember correctly. Hard to believe they didn't see it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JohnnyExtacy
11-28-2018, 02:06 PM
The attrition really isnt that high considering all the guys that did leave are D2 players. Kabellis is reslly the only player thst has left to a program peer and he has no made much of a production impact for them. Richmans recruits just maybe arent very good.

oldmantutters
11-28-2018, 02:08 PM
He was highly recommended by Miles & Philips if I remember correctly. Hard to believe they didn't see it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkSome people just aren't meant to be the top guy. It's been said on this thread that he can be an effective recruiter. They could've truly believed he would be a great head coach. Maybe someday he still can be. NDSU needs a change in direction now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
11-28-2018, 02:19 PM
The attrition really isnt that high considering all the guys that did leave are D2 players. Kabellis is reslly the only player thst has left to a program peer and he has no made much of a production impact for them. Richmans recruits just maybe arent very good.
And Kabellis hasn't even really played very much for Pacific this year. Comes off the bench (with a freshman, a sophomore, and a fellow junior guards starting in front of him) averaging about 18 minutes and 5 points per game: https://www.pacifictigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/teams/universityofthepacific?view=lineup&r=0&pos=sh

IBleedYellow
11-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Ron said all that needs to be said.

I expect a flashy hire.

23Bison
11-28-2018, 05:32 PM

I expect a flashy hire.

I third this.

HuskerBizon
11-28-2018, 05:44 PM

I expect a flashy hire.

Hopefully sooner rather than later

bisonfan08
11-28-2018, 06:15 PM
I'm just gonna be flat out honest Dave needs to go. I've supported him as long as I possibly can but I love NDSU hoops too much to see him keep driving this program into the ground. The sad part is we've brought in some great talent, just looking at this year with Griesel and Cook, those were huge gets for us but as far as the actual play on the court goes I can say with 100% confidence I could coach better than what he's doing. We are a talented young team, we are going to make mistakes but we are athletic, we got guys that can shoot, we've got 3 or 4 guys that can get to the rim, the problem is our offensive system is so broken that we can't take advantage of any of it. I run a more productive offense with my 5th grade girls team than he does with a D1 program, it's sad. The crazier part is we have 3 assistant coaches that are either also too blind to see it or Dave has limited their ability to contribute.

ndsubison1
11-28-2018, 06:17 PM

Miller has played 4 min for Mankato thus far

devin45k
11-28-2018, 07:30 PM
The arena was supposed to help with recruiting. Nothing has really changed in the Richman era. Players come here start out looking like they have potential but then end up at the same level as they were when they first arrived.

This team has regressed every year since he took over.

It sucks to say it because he was very nice and respectful the time I talked to him.

Mr Meaty
11-28-2018, 07:37 PM
How can SDSU get really good coaches to come to Brookings and live and work there. Yes I know they are better in BB than we are currently. Even USD has had better coaches recently as well. What is NDSU administration missing when it comes to BB programs?

devin45k
11-28-2018, 07:47 PM
How can SDSU get really good coaches to come to Brookings and live and work there. Yes I know they are better in BB than we are currently. Even USD has had better coaches recently as well. What is NDSU administration missing when it comes to BB programs?

We have an advantage in the arena, fanbase, and town yet we are a lagging still. Something is definitely wrong within the system at this point.

NDSUstudent
11-28-2018, 07:50 PM

Tim and Saul were pretty good here.

USD sniped Smith, had Saul left a few weeks sooner things could be very different.

56BISON73
11-28-2018, 08:49 PM
I have a question----Why are we not able to get players who can play right away???? The bigs can recruit players who can start from jump street at that level. Why cant NDSU get players that can play from day one at this level? Why do they always have to develop for a couple of years and still be limited on playing time?
Its freaking basketball for shit sake. You put the ball in the hoop. There are thousands of players out there that can do that. JFC why is it so difficult here??????

BisManBison
11-28-2018, 09:53 PM
So far into the ground I swear I randomly hear people speaking Chinese. I ranted at the end of last season that I had no hope for this year's team with Richman at the helm and quite frankly can't bring myself to watch this product. It's just too painful. Change can't come soon enough. I want our men's program in the conversation for a tournament bid every year and I don't believe Dave is the guy that can get that done.

unbison
11-28-2018, 10:06 PM
All I hear is culture when richman talks.... I believe the football program can speak about culture.... The basketball team uhhh idk... Years of success or a new coach can speak about culture bison basketball has had flashes of success .... Not a storied past.... I'll still be in my courtside seats wishing and hoping for success.... I think that this thread is bit o er the top reaction after getting thumped by the best team in the land though

Professorbum
11-28-2018, 10:39 PM
All I hear is culture when richman talks.... I believe the football program can speak about culture.... The basketball team uhhh idk... Years of success or a new coach can speak about culture bison basketball has had flashes of success .... Not a storied past.... I'll still be in my courtside seats wishing and hoping for success.... I think that this thread is bit o er the top reaction after getting thumped by the best team in the land though

We got thumped by New Mexico State and Eastern TN State. We were utterly humiliated by Gonzaga. No one expected us to win that one. But we shouldnt have been down by 40 after 29 minutes of play.

HerdBot
11-28-2018, 11:29 PM
2 words. Hero ball. 2 more words. No thanks. 2 more words. Frisco Cruiser Bus

No interest in watching a team with 2 assists.

Kujava23
11-28-2018, 11:55 PM
I'm just gonna be flat out honest Dave needs to go. I've supported him as long as I possibly can but I love NDSU hoops too much to see him keep driving this program into the ground. The sad part is we've brought in some great talent, just looking at this year with Griesel and Cook, those were huge gets for us but as far as the actual play on the court goes I can say with 100% confidence I could coach better than what he's doing. We are a talented young team, we are going to make mistakes but we are athletic, we got guys that can shoot, we've got 3 or 4 guys that can get to the rim, the problem is our offensive system is so broken that we can't take advantage of any of it. I run a more productive offense with my 5th grade girls team than he does with a D1 program, it's sad. The crazier part is we have 3 assistant coaches that are either also too blind to see it or Dave has limited their ability to contribute.

Amennnnnnnn

StL Bison Fan
11-29-2018, 01:47 AM
Culhane tweeted this. Great...

David Richman tells us tonight on @Bison1660 that Cameron Hunter fractured his left wrist at Gonzaga. Out 6 weeks. Tough break, literally, for @NDSUmbb.

KSBisonFan
11-29-2018, 02:11 AM

David Richman tells us tonight on @Bison1660 that Cameron Hunter fractured his left wrist at Gonzaga. Out 6 weeks. Tough break, literally, for @NDSUmbb.

That sucks. Probably means Samuelson will be given some extra minutes....

OtterTailLakeBison
11-29-2018, 02:23 AM
Coach Richman talks about "We are a Development Program.....and we talk about being Tough and playing Together". Unfortunately player development is limited to non existent (Geu, AJ, and this year's team that outside of UCSB, has not progressed). His teams don't exhibit mental or physical toughnesss. We haven't seen a truly gritty streak of games since LA left. Plus, they don't play for each other.

Throw in Dave's inability to inspire his team to play with passion and purpose. When have we seen the team play multiple games with a sense of joy? Leaders synthesize the complex. Leaders generate energy and passion. Leaders plays to the strengths of their team members through empowerment and finding joy in their lives. Dave is not a leader.

23Bison
11-29-2018, 02:25 AM

Well isn't that just freaking great!

DIBISON
11-29-2018, 02:49 AM

That sucks. What's the injury for Griesel, how long is he out for?

blackdiamond2
11-29-2018, 04:04 AM
I think one of the main problems is we have not recruited good enough players and I am not sure if we have recruited the right players from my view.

When I hear Richman talk about the team I hear development, defense, toughness. There in fact lies the problem. We haven't really recruited toughness and rebounding! I grow tired of hearing about pack lines defense, but one of the staples of pack lines defense is to try to get teams to take outside shoots (lower percentage shots) by stuffing the lane with bodies, have them miss outside shots and then grab the rebounds when miss....except we have don't have the team that can rebound. When teams miss their shoots this year they grab their own misses and put them in for baskets. That is making sound simple, but it is amazing how much a team gets demoralized if it can't grab a defensive rebound when it needs one. Forget ever beating P5 team with our current roster makeup.

We used to a program that would redshirt most players but we really dont do that much anymore. All these guys would be much better in the 5th year than the 1st year. One of our major advantages is we had guys playing who were experienced 5th year guys playing against 1st years players too. Look at the experience of our current team and it is a recipe for sub-.500 basketball.

Look at our starting line up.
Vinnie - Transfer - first year player - Junior (no redshirt)
Samuelson - Walk-on - Junior (no redshirt)
Griesel - True Freshman (no redshirt)
Ward - Junior (no redshirt)
Kruiser - Sophomore (no redshirt)

ndsubison1
11-29-2018, 04:12 AM
The arena was supposed to help with recruiting. Nothing has really changed in the Richman era. Players come here start out looking like they have potential but then end up at the same level as they were when they first arrived.

This team has regressed every year since he took over.

It sucks to say it because he was very nice and respectful the time I talked to him.

Lack of post play has been a big concern. But we have brought in some talented wings. Guys not living up to potential or improving under Rich. Just look at the wings we have now, ignore our coaching. This is a group that could easily make multiple NCAAs under the right coaching.

The teams we succeeded with under him were Sauls recruits. Not bashing any individual player, theres a hindrance and its all on Dave.

BISONFAN4LIFE
11-29-2018, 05:53 AM
:([QUOTE=El_Chapo;1313333]This team will be 2-10

But mr stony brook is so small time, he won't even call a FBS conference commissioner. Let alone fire a coach

The first time I agree with you Chapo. I was crucifed last year by saying he should be shitcanned. Send Larson packing also.

stevdock
11-29-2018, 12:20 PM
I think one of the main problems is we have not recruited good enough players and I am not sure if we have recruited the right players from my view.

When I hear Richman talk about the team I hear development, defense, toughness. There in fact lies the problem. We haven't really recruited toughness and rebounding! I grow tired of hearing about pack lines defense, but one of the staples of pack lines defense is to try to get teams to take outside shoots (lower percentage shots) by stuffing the lane with bodies, have them miss outside shots and then grab the rebounds when miss....except we have don't have the team that can rebound. When teams miss their shoots this year they grab their own misses and put them in for baskets. That is making sound simple, but it is amazing how much a team gets demoralized if it can't grab a defensive rebound when it needs one. Forget ever beating P5 team with our current roster makeup.

We used to a program that would redshirt most players but we really dont do that much anymore. All these guys would be much better in the 5th year than the 1st year. One of our major advantages is we had guys playing who were experienced 5th year guys playing against 1st years players too. Look at the experience of our current team and it is a recipe for sub-.500 basketball.

Look at our starting line up.
Vinnie - Transfer - first year player - Junior (no redshirt)
Samuelson - Walk-on - Junior (no redshirt)
Griesel - True Freshman (no redshirt)
Ward - Junior (no redshirt)
Kruiser - Sophomore (no redshirt)

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. When we had our first NCAA tourney team that was a group of 23 year olds going up against a bunch of 18-19 year olds. So we had talent as that group was very talented but they had also plenty of experience and smarts that put them in great situations. Also especially when Andre was a part of that group that group was TOUGH. The problem with today's NCAA basketball is that all HS basketball kids are making decisions on where to go based on playing time and playing RIGHT NOW. NDSU is no different. Why go somewhere when they want you to sit out an entire year even though they've played ball their entire lives when I can go somewhere else and play right away? So NDSU has to be a part of this new system where very few players are going to redshirt outside of injury situations.

Defense and rebounding I think has more to do with who we are recruiting. Watching the Gonzaga game we were flat out too small to compete with them. They had height and length on us every time that I paid attention to it at every position on the floor. That's starting to be a trend at NDSU for quite a while now. I get that if you are taller than 6'7" (especially if you are physically developed too) you are probably getting a Major scholarship and we have to go find the ones the P5 don't want. There's not too many left at that point, but I've always thought AJ was out of position. I thought he should have been a 3 with Paul Miller either as a 1 or 2 and then have someone that's taller playing the 4. AJ did the best he could considering he was normally shorter than the player he went up against on defense. Now I preach to my basketball teams that rebounding is more heart (and that might be more of the problem) than height. Height helps but it's how bad do you want that rebound. I don't like that I'm personally starting to question the heart of the team more than the ability.

devin45k
11-29-2018, 12:41 PM
:([QUOTE=El_Chapo;1313333]This team will be 2-10

The first time I agree with you Chapo. I was crucifed last year by saying he should be shitcanned. Send Larson packing also.

Larson seems to be on cruise control at times. My view may be a little skewed since Gene Taylor was so proactive with everthing.

Mr. Burgundy
11-29-2018, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=BISONFAN4LIFE;1313705]:(

Larson seems to be on cruise control at times. My view may be a little skewed since Gene Taylor was so proactive with everthing.

a lot of things on this thread are true, some are maybe arguable, but this is just dumb. Just an awful post. Sorry if that is rude.

NDSUstudent
11-29-2018, 08:26 PM
I doubt GT would have done anything differently in this case.

Bison"FANatic"
11-29-2018, 08:49 PM
Publicly Larson has not had to make major hires yet. We will find out how good the guy is in the next 12 to17 months. Mens Bball, Womens Bball and probably Football (I hope not but well I doubt my hope will be true) all will have new people at the helms at the end of that time frame. It is going to be interesting to see what everything looks like in a year and half.

Has anyone checked the popcorn futures lately???????

Mr. Burgundy
11-29-2018, 09:20 PM
Publicly Larson has not had to make major hires yet. We will find out how good the guy is in the next 12 to17 months. Mens Bball, Womens Bball and probably Football (I hope not but well I doubt my hope will be true) all will have new people at the helms at the end of that time frame. It is going to be interesting to see what everything looks like in a year and half.

Totally agree. AD's are judged on their hires, but to say ML is on cruise control or has done anything poor to this point to be honest would be either totally wrong or at least arguable. Think about that game at Target Field for football. FBS teams will NOT play us. So he gets us that game. Maybe it is just trendy to be super grumpy right now, but people need to realize how damn lucky we are. Guy is aggressive and competitive. That will show when the time is right on hiring. It is hard to replace guys like Saul and Gene as they are SO open and funny. Doesn't mean Matt isn't doing one hell of a job, in fact Gene will tell you that.

Professorbum
11-29-2018, 09:21 PM

A lot of discussion about what will happen after Dave Richman. I've speculated on that front as well. But there at least seems to be a general consensus on this thread that Richman is gone after this season. Among his supporters, is this pretty much universally accepted? Does anyone want to step into the conversation and suggest that we need to wait and see how we do in the Summit League tournament, because that's when it really matters? (or some such crap).

NDSUstudent
11-29-2018, 09:28 PM
A lot of discussion about what will happen after Dave Richman. I've speculated on that front as well. But there at least seems to be a general consensus on this thread that Richman is gone after this season. Among his supporters, is this pretty much universally accepted? Does anyone want to step into the conversation and suggest that we need to wait and see how we do in the Summit League tournament, because that's when it really matters? (or some such crap).

He has his supporters but they only come out of the woodwork after a mediocre win, so you'll have to wait until then.

RedRiver
11-29-2018, 09:46 PM
Only a general consensus from those that have voiced that opinion. I'm not in that group and have not posted on this topic either way. For now the coach is coach and they're only 6 games into a season with a transformed roster so yes, I'll wait until season's end to make my determination.

BisonNation11
11-29-2018, 10:24 PM
Totally agree. AD's are judged on their hires, but to say ML is on cruise control or has done anything poor to this point to be honest would be either totally wrong or at least arguable. Think about that game at Target Field for football. FBS teams will NOT play us. So he gets us that game. Maybe it is just trendy to be super grumpy right now, but people need to realize how damn lucky we are. Guy is aggressive and competitive. That will show when the time is right on hiring. It is hard to replace guys like Saul and Gene as they are SO open and funny. Doesn't mean Matt isn't doing one hell of a job, in fact Gene will tell you that.

ML has retained Coach K and Mueller as well as kept who he can for T&F. Can't remember if Kish was before his hire or not. Regardless, he's done what he can as far as hires go. Lopez will get the time she deserves to turn the volleyball team around. They are super young. Golf has made big strides team-wise. He hired a new soccer coach that appears from the distance I keep from the sport, a solid hire. Not much more he can do on those fronts. What I think he was really hired for was for his fundraising abilities. Which I believe he's done a wonderful job of.

Professorbum
11-29-2018, 11:13 PM
ML has retained Coach K and Mueller as well as kept who he can for T&F. Can't remember if Kish was before his hire or not. Regardless, he's done what he can as far as hires go. Lopez will get the time she deserves to turn the volleyball team around. They are super young. Golf has made big strides team-wise. He hired a new soccer coach that appears from the distance I keep from the sport, a solid hire. Not much more he can do on those fronts. What I think he was really hired for was for his fundraising abilities. Which I believe he's done a wonderful job of.

You are correct...he has done a great job in fundraising. Every year seems like a new record. And I too think the soccer coach was a good hire.

MAKBison
11-29-2018, 11:17 PM
You are correct...he has done a great job in fundraising. Every year seems like a new record. And I too think the soccer coach was a good hire.

If I recall facilities and fund raising were supposed to be his expertise.....right?

bisonfan08
11-30-2018, 01:54 PM

As I've said earlier I've been one to support the guy over the years and I feel renewed hope with each recruiting class because he has brought in talent. But I don't have to watch this offense for an entire year to see that it's the same old crap we've been running year after year, we have a ton of young talent right now, we need someone at the helm who can develop that talent and utilize it instead of limiting it. Honestly I feel like the player who's shown the most growth since he's been here in Deng Geu ironically is the one who plays way less minutes than he deserves, if that doesn't change then I cannot continue to back our head coach.

BisonHorns
12-03-2018, 01:28 AM
I didn't read the whole thread but yes Richman drove this program into the ground. The program is nearing the Core of the Earth. The longer he is running the drill the worse it goes.

NDSU92
12-03-2018, 03:59 AM
Richman is doing a pretty bad job, but Jesus some of you are dramatic. You act like you haven’t seen our WBB team

BisManBison
12-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Richman is doing a pretty bad job, but Jesus some of you are dramatic. You act like you haven’t seen our WBB team

Not the standard or comparison we are going for here.

TAILG8R
12-03-2018, 04:38 PM

Or maybe they are acting like they've seen it and don't want the men's team to get anywhere near the level of that catastrophe.

Tony Almeida
12-03-2018, 04:45 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but yes Richman drove this program into the ground. The program is nearing the Core of the Earth. The longer he is running the drill the worse it goes.I heard they named the largest drill bit out in the oil patch "The Richman"...

devin45k
12-03-2018, 07:23 PM

Are we supposed to wait and see if it can turn into that bad of a dumpster fire?

TAILG8R
12-03-2018, 08:00 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AbCBOu4.jpg

BisManBison
12-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Fred Hoiberg rumored to have been fired by the Bulls. Give a call Matt. Just sayin....purple...kinda

SDbison
12-04-2018, 03:43 AM
I think the title of this thread should be changed to a statement. Just remove the question marks and switch the first two words. Richman has........

NDSUstudent
12-04-2018, 09:22 PM
One of my biggest issues with Richman is that the program has lost it's identity. With Saul it was efficiency and defense that the program prided itself on, even when the team lacked talent they brought it and forced teams to grind out games agaisnt us. Right now we have the 298th ranked defense, easily the worst in program in history.

JohnnyExtacy
12-04-2018, 11:03 PM
One of my biggest issues with Richman is that the program has lost it's identity. With Saul it was efficiency and defense that the program prided itself on, even when the team lacked talent they brought it and forced teams to grind out games agaisnt us. Right now we have the 298th ranked defense, easily the worst in program in history.

This can't be true. According to Coach Richman this program is all about toughness and great defense. Just ask Dave Richman.

JohnnyExtacy
12-04-2018, 11:26 PM
I remember when Saul Phillips coached a bunch of D2 players like Josh Vaughn, Freddie Coleman, Nate Zastrow, Eric Carlson, and Mike Felt was on that team, and that team was terrible, I think they won 10 games all year. They also were in competed hard and were in basically every single game. They lost to Iowa State by 2 points. They lost to a Paul George led Fresno State team by 14 points which could argued be their worst loss of the season. They never got blown out.

This year alone there have been 4 embarrassing losses (so far), and 2-3 bad losses.

New Mexico St - not a bad loss on paper other than the fact that NDSU& wasn't competitive against them. At all.
Miami of Ohio - 2-4 against D1 teams. And they beat NDSU by 11. Pathetic.
Incarnate Word - they are also 1-5 against D1 teams. Only win is to NDSU. Otherwise they have been terrible. Take away NDSU and they have lost by an average of 23 points. That's how bad they are.
East Tennessee St (5-3 against D1 teams) - blowout loss
Gonzaga - I remember when Bison lost to a #1 Indiana team in what was considered an embarrassing 26 point loss. The Gonzaga loss makes the Indiana game look decent.
Drake - not a terrible loss by any means, but letting them shoot 70% in the second half? Defensive culture?
Iowa State - pretty embarrassing. Completely run out of their gym.

Just horrible. This team and program just sucks and is an embarrassment right now. Makes me depressed to even think about it. Never have I thought I wouldn't even bother tuning into the games, and that started last year. I have never wanted a prideful team to lose as much as this team just so the coach gets fired at the end of the year. Just pathetic.

El_Chapo
12-05-2018, 01:22 AM
I remember when Saul Phillips coached a bunch of D2 players like Josh Vaughn, Freddie Coleman, Nate Zastrow, Eric Carlson, and Mike Felt was on that team, and that team was terrible, I think they won 10 games all year. They also were in competed hard and were in basically every single game. They lost to Iowa State by 2 points. They lost to a Paul George led Fresno State team by 14 points which could argued be their worst loss of the season. They never got blown out.

This year alone there have been 4 embarrassing losses (so far), and 2-3 bad losses.

New Mexico St - not a bad loss on paper other than the fact that NDSU& wasn't competitive against them. At all.
Incarnate Word - they are also 1-5 against D1 teams. Only win is to NDSU. Otherwise they have been terrible. Take away NDSU and they have lost by an average of 23 points. That's how bad they are.
Gonzaga - I remember when Bison lost to a #1 Indiana team in what was considered an embarrassing 26 point loss. The Gonzaga loss makes the Indiana game look decent.
Drake - not a terrible loss by any means, but letting them shoot 70% in the second half? Defensive culture?

Just horrible. This team and program just sucks and is an embarrassment right now. Makes me depressed to even think about it. Never have I thought I wouldn't even bother tuning into the games, and that started last year. I have never wanted a prideful team to lose as much as this team just so the coach gets fired at the end of the year. Just pathetic.

Oh don't worry, we have 1-6 EWU coming Saturday. That's a guaranteed win... Then losses vs Missouri St & Montana probably .... Then gritty northland cc.

2-10 should be are schedule heading into the summit. Lol

El_Chapo
12-05-2018, 01:23 AM

Oh don't worry, we have 1-6 EWU coming Saturday. That's a guaranteed win... Then losses vs Missouri St & Montana probably .... Then gritty northland cc.

2-10 should be are schedule heading into the summit. Lol

CAS4127
12-05-2018, 02:01 AM

Preach it!! Agreed 100%!

devin45k
12-05-2018, 12:41 PM

This depresses me even more about the current status of this team.

Kujava23
12-05-2018, 04:33 PM
SOOOOOOOO....what happens IFFFFFFFF RICHMAN, currently 2-7, 20 games left (including GIMMIES--Dickinson St. and Northland College)---finishes season 8-21, 9-20, 10-19, or 11-18---ALL OF WHICH POSSIBLE-- IS RESIGNED???????

MNLonghorn10
12-05-2018, 04:49 PM
I don't even know the iowa state score. Itd be a disservice to Verizon and my data to waste unlimited internet in looking it up

devin45k
12-05-2018, 05:08 PM
SOOOOOOOO....what happens IFFFFFFFF RICHMAN, currently 2-7, 20 games left (including GIMMIES--Dickinson St. and Northland College)---finishes season 8-21, 9-20, 10-19, or 11-18---ALL OF WHICH POSSIBLE-- IS RESIGNED???????

The Richman Era

2014-15 season - 23-10 W% - .697
2015-16 season - 20-13 W% - .606
2016-17 season - 19-11 W% - .633
2017-18 season - 15-17 W% - .469
2018-19 season - 2-7 W% - .222

If he miraculously gets to .500, we still shouldn't keep him. He has not shown any growth to this program. It will just be prolonging mediocrity at best era.

HuskerBizon
12-05-2018, 05:18 PM

People will call for Larson to go, which should happen if he brings DR back

ByeSonBusiness
12-06-2018, 03:17 AM
This shit is sad. That is all.

Bison Bridge Guy
12-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Here's one way to answer the original thread question: I went to games regularly from 2007 thru the first year in the SHAC, and had five season tickets from 2010 on. I would also follow the road games however I could (TV, radio, gamecast etc.) After the first year in the SHAC I gave up my season tickets and I didn't go to a single game last year or this year so far, and I don't bother to try to watch on tv or listen on the radio. Season ticket cost was a factor as well as being a bit disappointed in the arena remodel. But when the team was competitive and fun to watch, I went to every game in the old BSA. Pretty sure others have similar stories. Does that mean the program has been run into the ground? I don't know but it's in a pretty bad state from my perspective.

bisonfan08
12-06-2018, 03:07 PM
So the other day I mention throwing a 1-3-1 or 2-3 zone in couldn't hurt and against Drake all of a sudden we are running a 1-3-1 for about 5 consecutive possessions, then I mention playing Deng and Rocky at the same time and all of a sudden it happens at Iowa State.....is Dave scouring Bisonville for coaching help? If that's the case just fire him now and give me the job for the rest of the year, I bet I can fix the offense....and even the defense before the Summit League tourney.

Professor Chaos
12-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Here's one way to answer the original thread question: I went to games regularly from 2007 thru the first year in the SHAC, and had five season tickets from 2010 on. I would also follow the road games however I could (TV, radio, gamecast etc.) After the first year in the SHAC I gave up my season tickets and I didn't go to a single game last year or this year so far, and I don't bother to try to watch on tv or listen on the radio. Season ticket cost was a factor as well as being a bit disappointed in the arena remodel. But when the team was competitive and fun to watch, I went to every game in the old BSA. Pretty sure others have similar stories. Does that mean the program has been run into the ground? I don't know but it's in a pretty bad state from my perspective.
What you're saying makes a lot of sense in theory but NDSU did lead the Summit League in average attendance last year.

I'm not saying that should save Richman's bacon when it comes to the program's downward spiral in performance on the court but in terms of attendance they're still doing pretty well relatively. Although I'd expect that number to take another dip this year with the way things are going.

El_Chapo
12-06-2018, 04:05 PM
What you're saying makes a lot of sense in theory but NDSU did lead the Summit League in average attendance last year.

I'm not saying that should save Richman's bacon when it comes to the program's downward spiral in performance on the court but in terms of attendance they're still doing pretty well relatively. Although I'd expect that number to take another dip this year with the way things are going.

I cant even give away from Front Row seats to friends who just years ago loved to watch NDSU basketball.

Ben Woodside... we miss you :(

SDbison
12-06-2018, 04:57 PM
Here's one way to answer the original thread question: I went to games regularly from 2007 thru the first year in the SHAC, and had five season tickets from 2010 on. I would also follow the road games however I could (TV, radio, gamecast etc.) After the first year in the SHAC I gave up my season tickets and I didn't go to a single game last year or this year so far, and I don't bother to try to watch on tv or listen on the radio. Season ticket cost was a factor as well as being a bit disappointed in the arena remodel. But when the team was competitive and fun to watch, I went to every game in the old BSA. Pretty sure others have similar stories. Does that mean the program has been run into the ground? I don't know but it's in a pretty bad state from my perspective. Yep, the priduct and the venue sucks.

Professorbum
12-06-2018, 05:43 PM
So the other day I mention throwing a 1-3-1 or 2-3 zone in couldn't hurt and against Drake all of a sudden we are running a 1-3-1 for about 5 consecutive possessions, then I mention playing Deng and Rocky at the same time and all of a sudden it happens at Iowa State.....is Dave scouring Bisonville for coaching help? If that's the case just fire him now and give me the job for the rest of the year, I bet I can fix the offense....and even the defense before the Summit League tourney.

Why hire you when Dave gets to channel you for free? :)

bisonfan08
12-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Why hire you when Dave gets to channel you for free? :)

Haha you're probably right, I'll have to stop posting my tips here. I'd do twice the job for half the price though, it'd be a great deal for the university, probably the greatest deal of all time...HUGE improvements

jcdcubs
12-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Rick Pitino is available!!!

02Bison
12-07-2018, 12:00 PM
I think the problem is the low post game has been absent in Bison Basketball with the exception of the couple of years here and there. The Bison seem to be a team that live and die by passing the ball around the perimeter and bombing 3's. There needs to be more of an effort to get effective and efficient low post players on the squad like Marshall Bjorklund and Andre Smith (the only two in somewhat recent memory) to balance out the offensive attack and keep defenses honest. Until then mediocrity at best is guaranteed.

Professor Chaos
12-07-2018, 12:21 PM
I think the problem is the low post game has been absent in Bison Basketball with the exception of the couple of years here and there. The Bison seem to be a team that live and die by passing the ball around the perimeter and bombing 3's. There needs to be more of an effort to get effective and efficient low post players on the squad like Marshall Bjorklund and Andre Smith (the only two in somewhat recent memory) to balance out the offensive attack and keep defenses honest. Until then mediocrity at best is guaranteed.
That's easier said than done at this level. Very few SL teams have a back-to-the-basket post threat. SDSU has one of the best SL teams in recent memory this year and only Daum goes back to the basket and he's more effective elsewhere. Guard oriented basketball is the game that mid-majors need to play but that doesn't mean they need to be 3 point chuckers exclusively. What they need are guards that can break down a defender, get to the rim, and either dish or finish effectively.

Mr Meaty
12-07-2018, 12:27 PM
That's easier said than done at this level. Very few SL teams have a back-to-the-basket post threat. SDSU has one of the best SL teams in recent memory this year and only Daum goes back to the basket and he's more effective elsewhere. Guard oriented basketball is the game that mid-majors need to play but that doesn't mean they need to be 3 point chuckers exclusively. What they need are guards that can break down a defender, get to the rim, and either dish or finish effectively.

Yes, Yes and Yes!!!!!!!!! Then make the damn free throws as well. Rebounding would help too. Just saying.

devin45k
12-07-2018, 02:25 PM

When I went to the US Bank thing. I am jealous of the SDSU big guys. They just straight up look bigger all around and more athletic. I hate to admit it.

BisonNation11
12-07-2018, 02:28 PM

So please explain to me, at this level, which of our teams have had more success. Current teams with a ton of guards and athletic forwards or past teams with a true low post presence? I'll take our tournament teams any day and twice on Sunday over this guard-dominated crap. We used to beat teams into submission with low post guys who were able to play back to the basket and tough defending in the post. What we're doing isn't working, so why try? Because everyone else is? Everyone is playing air-raid football too but we do it different because for us, that's what works. No need to be followers. Be leaders. There's no reason Rocky can't post up and learn the footwork necessary to dominate in the post. Meidinger should also learn the same thing because unfortunately, I don't think he's going to turn out like KAT for us where he can play 30 feet off the rim. Christiansen (sp?) should also learn how to at his size when he comes in. Then he becomes our version of Daum. If you're going to get the big boys in here, develop them to play with their back to the basket. The teams that have won the Summit and did well in March Madness all had inside presence that this team deeply misses. Need more pig farmers.

semobison
12-07-2018, 02:31 PM

I agree that most mid majors don't have a real a dominant post player. But, you still need to ATTEMPT to get the ball to someone in the block on occasion. Anyone can post up if you can create a mismatch. We go extended periods where there is no attempt to get the ball to anyone in the block with their back to the basket. The perimeter game will open up if you can play inside-out. Our offense gives me headaches when I watch it. No back cuts, need to attack the basket more off the dribble and less perimeter passes and handoffs!

El_Chapo
12-07-2018, 03:05 PM
So please explain to me, at this level, which of our teams have had more success. Current teams with a ton of guards and athletic forwards or past teams with a true low post presence? I'll take our tournament teams any day and twice on Sunday over this guard-dominated crap. We used to beat teams into submission with low post guys who were able to play back to the basket and tough defending in the post. What we're doing isn't working, so why try? Because everyone else is? Everyone is playing air-raid football too but we do it different because for us, that's what works. No need to be followers. Be leaders. There's no reason Rocky can't post up and learn the footwork necessary to dominate in the post. Meidinger should also learn the same thing because unfortunately, I don't think he's going to turn out like KAT for us where he can play 30 feet off the rim. Christiansen (sp?) should also learn how to at his size when he comes in. Then he becomes our version of Daum. If you're going to get the big boys in here, develop them to play with their back to the basket. The teams that have won the Summit and did well in March Madness all had inside presence that this team deeply misses. Need more pig farmers.

Christensen's are sugar beet farmers... not pig farmers :)

Noah will be 6 10 and play inside and out and hit 3's. he's going to be dynamic. he loves to pass, too much actually that the coaches yell at him to score haha.

NDSU IS 2-7 on way to 2-10 for sure. ( I predict we lose to 1-6 EWU ) Conference 6-10 would be a stretch

8-20 at best won't cut it, I can't even give away my front row tickets. Such a shame that we've lost everything since 3 dances in 7 years. Argh

02Bison
12-07-2018, 05:26 PM

Agree completely. The run and gun guard offense mentality isn't/hasn't been successful. It is kind of like saying NDSU's football team should abandon the ground and pound run game in favor of college football's air it out football. The ground and pound game has worked out well for the football team. I wish the basketball team would adopt more of that philosophy as well. We need some balance. High low inside first then out game. Andre Smith, Lucas Moorman , Brett Winkelman all gave the Bison that low post threat to at least keep opposing teams honest on D. We haven't had something like that since.

HerdThat!
12-07-2018, 07:36 PM
could anyone be happier than Richman about the timing of Klieman potentially leaving, just with attention being deflected elsewhere than firing his ass

Burnt_Secondary
12-07-2018, 07:44 PM
Agree completely. The run and gun guard offense mentality isn't/hasn't been successful. It is kind of like saying NDSU's football team should abandon the ground and pound run game in favor of college football's air it out football. The ground and pound game has worked out well for the football team. I wish the basketball team would adopt more of that philosophy as well. We need some balance. High low inside first then out game. Andre Smith, Lucas Moorman , Brett Winkelman all gave the Bison that low post threat to at least keep opposing teams honest on D. We haven't had something like that since.

Marshall Bjorklund says "Hi".
Dexter also says "Hi".

02Bison
12-07-2018, 08:56 PM
Marshall Bjorklund says "Hi".
Dexter also says "Hi".

Yes, didn't intend to leave them out.

Professorbum
12-08-2018, 12:57 AM
Rick Pitino is available!!!

Gosh, that would be so interesting. But a logistics question: do we even have hookers in Fargo?

El_Chapo
12-08-2018, 01:15 AM
Gosh, that would be so interesting. But a logistics question: do we even have hookers in Fargo?

Izzy, slick?

Rick Pitino would be insane. And we'd have a clause for him to fly to Minneapolis and watch every game if his sons when it works out.

6000 seats x $30 = 180,000 x 15 home games = $2.7 million.

Pay Pitino $1 million and we make $1.7 million in tickets, let alone T shirts, mech, concessions. We'd be the talk of the basketball universe

NDSUstudent
12-08-2018, 01:48 AM
The Bison team that beat OU had 4 players that would start on this team at the 5.

bisonsupporter
12-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Who are legit future Bison head coach candidates? Look Division II? I am not up to date on who would be a good candidate.

Kujava23
12-13-2018, 01:17 PM
https://www.grandforksherald.com/content/richman-named-head-basketball-coach-ndsu

Wow read this---how things can change in 5 years

bisonfan08
12-13-2018, 01:41 PM
https://www.grandforksherald.com/content/richman-named-head-basketball-coach-ndsu

Like I've said, I liked the hire, I've supported him the last 4 years and now I just can't do it anymore, he's had his time, it hasn't gone well, time to start fresh.

semobison
12-13-2018, 02:06 PM

Some guys are great assistant coaches. Head guys, not so much!

Professor Chaos
12-13-2018, 02:09 PM
Some guys are great assistant coaches. Head guys, not so much!
Yep, and some guys need some time to figure it out. Richman might be a good head coach someday (likely somewhere else) if he's able to learn some things from these last few years.

El_Chapo
12-13-2018, 07:00 PM
$190k/year hope he saved his $1 million he will need it living on Hole #3 at Bois De Sioux in Wahpeton for next 50 years.

SomeBeach
12-14-2018, 03:13 PM

“They all kept telling me that if I didn’t hire this guy, it would be the dumbest thing I’ve ever done,” Taylor said.

Yeah... now keeping this guy would be the dumbest thing we've ever done.

Kujava23
12-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Richman has had every opportunity to excel also has had new facilities; practice facility & arena to help recruiting

FACTS ARE FACTS
1. Lack of player development
2. Lack of Offensive Strategy---put your best players in positions to be successful
3. Lack of Game Management---sub patterns, adjustments what other team is doing, key timeouts, drawing up OB plays after timeouts
4. BEST ONE---Lack of creating a culture a winning culture where players want to stay 4 years

He has to be done at NDSU-----UNLESS HE WINS OUT and WINS THE WHOLE DAMN THING!!!! NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP

Burnt_Secondary
12-14-2018, 04:53 PM
Richman has had every opportunity to excel also has had new facilities; practice facility & arena to help recruiting

FACTS ARE FACTS
2. Lack of Offensive Strategy---put your best players in positions to be successful
3. Lack of Game Management---sub patterns, adjustments what other team is doing, key timeouts, drawing up OB plays after timeouts
4. BEST ONE---Lack of creating a culture a winning culture where players want to stay 4 years

He has to be done at NDSU-----UNLESS HE WINS OUT and WINS THE WHOLE DAMN THING!!!! NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP

Hold up now. I think we should be fair. I would be willing to let him stay if we get to the sweet sixteen.

Something seemed to happen to get this thing off the rails back in mid season in 2016-2017. Then we had players leaving left and right. There was no fun anymore, in the stadium or on the team.

Professorbum
12-14-2018, 10:12 PM

FACTS ARE FACTS

Hold up now. I think we should be fair. I would be willing to let him stay if we get to the sweet sixteen.

Something seemed to happen to get this thing off the rails back in mid season in 2016-2017. Then we had players leaving left and right. There was no fun anymore, in the stadium or on the team.

Okay, deal. Win out and get to the Sweet 16. Then he can stay.

KSBisonFan
12-16-2018, 12:35 AM
Bison on ESPN+ against Misery State. Game starting now.

DePereBisonFan
12-16-2018, 02:01 AM
How has Saul done since he took the job at Ohio?

Castor Troy
12-16-2018, 07:00 AM
How has Saul done since he took the job at Ohio?

Ohio Bobcats (Mid-American Conference) (2014–present)
2014–15 Ohio 10–20 5–13 6th (East)
2015–16 Ohio 23–12 11–7 2nd (East) CBI Semifinals
2016–17 Ohio 20–11 11–7 2nd (East)
2017–18 Ohio 14–17 7–11 T–4th (East)
2018–19 Ohio 5–2 0–0

Ohio: 72–62 (.537) 34–38 (.472)

Loud and Proud Bison fan
12-20-2018, 02:33 AM
Outta curiosity, are we so in need of a win that we resort to scheduling D3 schools now? I saw the game was on ESPN Game Plan then it stated Northland College was D3, so I quit watching after we got 6 points

El_Chapo
12-20-2018, 04:25 AM
They are NAIA. And we play like 2 more

So our record at end could be 12-18. When really it'll be 9-18

AKBison
12-20-2018, 05:02 AM
Outta curiosity, are we so in need of a win that we resort to scheduling D3 schools now? I saw the game was on ESPN Game Plan then it stated Northland College was D3, so I quit watching after we got 6 points

I watched for a bit but it looked like somebody called in a bomb threat but let the players finish the game. I like coach but something has to change here. The program is completely devoid of momentum right now.

StL Bison Fan
12-20-2018, 05:05 AM
I probably could have sat and counted the number of people there.
It was over before it began.

56BISON73
12-20-2018, 06:18 AM
Went to the game tonight. WTF? There are high school teams out there that could beat them. JFC. Left early couldnt take it any longer.:facepalm:

JohnnyExtacy
12-20-2018, 07:21 AM
How does Jordan Horn go from averaging 8 points at Sienna as a freshman to seeing 3 min against a D3 team?

Mr Meaty
12-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Dave is crazy like a fox with his player rotation and playing time. He has got a plan that none of us can see or understand. As for the game last night I did not bother to drive over from JAmestown for it. Really starting to think that this might be my last year for season tickets to men’s hoops. That pains me since I really enjoy basketball.

THEsocalledfan
12-20-2018, 11:42 AM
I got a kick out of a recent podcast I listened to (exact one will remain nameless) when the "expert" said he'd be shocked if Dave is not extended......best belly laugh I'd had in a long time.

Professor Chaos
12-20-2018, 12:15 PM
How does Jordan Horn go from averaging 8 points at Sienna as a freshman to seeing 3 min against a D3 team?
The minutes for that game last night are pretty meaningless. Knotek and Cook played 24 minutes each after not combining for 24 minutes over their last 3 games combined.

MNLonghorn10
12-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Dave is crazy like a fox with his player rotation and playing time. He has got a plan that none of us can see or understand. As for the game last night I did not bother to drive over from JAmestown for it. Really starting to think that this might be my last year for season tickets to men’s hoops. That pains me since I really enjoy basketball.

sheesh. fist bump on the commitment drive from jamestown. i dont even give them my time of day on TV

devin45k
12-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Damn a Jamestown drive for basketball. I was going to drive back to Fargo from the Twin Cities randomly for a game but this "strive for mediocrity" regime has sucked all my excitement out of basketball. The Miles and Phillips regimes, I would go into a season being excited and thinking we could possibly upset anyone that is heavily favored. Now I go into this season feeling like we are probably going to lose any game we arent favored in and have doubts in any game we are favored in.

Honeybooboo
12-20-2018, 01:42 PM
I forgot we even if field teams..we still have women's don't we??

SDbison
12-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Are we searching for a new women's and men's head coach yet? The interest in Bison basketball has to be at a 50 year low. I feel bad for the players since this season is going nowhere with the current coaches. And then it will take years to build things back up assuming we get better coaches.

ndsubison1
12-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Where have you been since weve gone D1? We have 1-2 of these on the schedule every year for home games. Not including exhibition.

Professor Chaos
12-20-2018, 02:41 PM
Are we searching for a new women's and men's head coach yet? The interest in Bison basketball has to be at a 50 year low. I feel bad for the players since this season is going nowhere with the current coaches. And then it will take years to build things back up assuming we get better coaches.
I think the men's team has the potential to be a Summit League contender as early as next year with the right coaching. They've got a solid 6'10" big man in Kreuser, a freak athlete for the SL level in Deng, a good floor general in Shahid, a slasher (albeit an inconsistent one) in Ward, and shooters in Samuelson, Horn, and Hunter. Griesel, prior to his injury, and Cook are playing as true freshman and have held their own as well. Next year will bring another skilled big man in Noah Christenson into the fold along with hopefully a finally healthy 7' rim protector in Meidinger.

All of those guys are back next year so if a coaching staff can develop each of them into better players over the next year (a novel concept I know) I think this could be a pretty darn good Summit League team. Having said that it's most likely going to have to be a different coaching staff to get that necessary development out of the players because the current coaching staff has given me no confidence that they can do it.

Mr Meaty
12-20-2018, 03:24 PM
I think the men's team has the potential to be a Summit League contender as early as next year with the right coaching. They've got a solid 6'10" big man in Kreuser, a freak athlete for the SL level in Deng, a good floor general in Shahid, a slasher (albeit an inconsistent one) in Ward, and shooters in Samuelson, Horn, and Hunter. Griesel, prior to his injury, and Cook are playing as true freshman and have held their own as well. Next year will bring another skilled big man in Noah Christenson into the fold along with hopefully a finally healthy 7' rim protector in Meidinger.

All of those guys are back next year so if a coaching staff can develop each of them into better players over the next year (a novel concept I know) I think this could be a pretty darn good Summit League team. Having said that it's most likely going to have to be a different coaching staff to get that necessary development out of the players because the current coaching staff has given me no confidence that they can do it.

I agree with your post. This is a reason why I continue to try and believe we can be very good. But there is something holding us back. Hint Hint Mr. Matt Larsen

westnodak93bison
12-20-2018, 03:34 PM
This is the first year I have not watched a game in December. I just can't bring myself to turn it on and watch DR stand on the side line with a scowl on his face.

Bison bison
12-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Not sure when I'll see another Bison basketball game again.

Both coaching staffs need to go and the SHAC is crap.

Kujava23
12-20-2018, 03:50 PM
This is the first year I have not watched a game in December. I just can't bring myself to turn it on and watch DR stand on the side line with a scowl on his face.

Yeah I know and agree---you are being paid $200K to COACH this team---you should be smiling on the sideline for what you are being paid for the results you have provided

NDSUstudent
12-20-2018, 05:30 PM
I got a kick out of a recent podcast I listened to (exact one will remain nameless) when the "expert" said he'd be shocked if Dave is not extended......best belly laugh I'd had in a long time.

LOL...if he was obviously going to be extended it would have happened by now.

Not at all shocked though, the Bison media in regards to basketball is either completely oblivious to what is going on or they don't want to say anything that rocks the boat that would make it tough to get access or upset who cuts their checks.

StL Bison Fan
12-20-2018, 05:31 PM

There were about 20 people in our section. Made the drive by myself, but did other things prior or I would have stayed home. Halfway through the first we were reduced to talking about frisco and not really watching.
I’m not sure I can justify spending money for this next year.
The team did look like they were enjoying playing and they do seem to not have the same personal issues they had last year. At this point I don’t think changing coaches would impact the team one way or the other

NDSUstudent
12-20-2018, 05:39 PM
I live in Fargo and haven't gone to a game all year, this product is only worth what I pay for ESPN+ and I'm even starting to wonder if that is worth it. I used to go to every single game, didn't matter if it was K-State or Crookston.

BisonNation11
12-20-2018, 05:42 PM
There were about 20 people in our section. Made the drive by myself, but did other things prior or I would have stayed home. Halfway through the first we were reduced to talking about frisco and not really watching.
I’m not sure I can justify spending money for this next year.
The team did look like they were enjoying playing and they do seem to not have the same personal issues they had last year. At this point I don’t think changing coaches would impact the team one way or the other

Of course they were having fun playing. Northland was made up of the 3rd best players from their high school teams. There wasn't one player on that team that would be a practice player at NDSU. And that's saying something recently. It's going to be a tough sell for me to renew next year unless one of two things happen. 1. Dave pulls an absolute rabbit out of his hat and makes the Dance. 2. Dave is fired and I believe in the new coaching staff. Either way, I'm still going to question it. It was a sad atmosphere last night and I wish it would be so much different as it was really fun 4-7 years ago.

StL Bison Fan
12-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Of course they were having fun playing. Northland was made up of the 3rd best players from their high school teams. There wasn't one player on that team that would be a practice player at NDSU. And that's saying something recently. It's going to be a tough sell for me to renew next year unless one of two things happen. 1. Dave pulls an absolute rabbit out of his hat and makes the Dance. 2. Dave is fired and I believe in the new coaching staff. Either way, I'm still going to question it. It was a sad atmosphere last night and I wish it would be so much different as it was really fun 4-7 years ago.

Screwing up the hot dog stand didn’t help either. At least I had that last year

HoopsBison
12-20-2018, 06:45 PM

I got to the game a little late, about 5 minutes in but Horn was on the end of the bench with an ice pack on his ankle. So guessing injury is what caused his minutes played.

El_Chapo
12-20-2018, 07:14 PM
hell, just pull the plug now. if we are gonna pay Richy thru the end of the year anyways, just get it done, pay him and have 1 of the assistants just let me boys Ball Out and play hero ball and have fun.

SDbison
12-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Not sure when I'll see another Bison basketball game again.

Both coaching staffs need to go and the SHAC is crap. Exactly, a new coach can't fix the poor excuse of DI venue at the SHAC........what an appropriate name......technically it's the Scheels Center at the SHAC, but for all the money Scheels makes that place is an embarrassment.

StL Bison Fan
12-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Exactly, a new coach can't fix the poor excuse of DI venue at the SHAC........what an appropriate name......technically it's the Scheels Center at the SHAC, but for all the money Scheels makes that place is an embarrassment.

I could live with the arena if the games were exciting.
Someone mentioned on here about the ‘culture’ stuff in the press conferences. I’m not buying it. If we didn’t have football, we might not know about ‘culture’. But we do, we know it when we see it, because our football team has it.
My greatest fear is the team will devolve into the me-ness that we had the last couple of years. The pouting and foot stomping.

NDSUstudent
12-20-2018, 07:53 PM
The basketball program used to have a great culture, even when the talent wasn't there the team still played with a chip on its shoulder, they played together and weren't afraid of anyone.

The Saul coached team that won like 10 games was far more fullfilling to watch than any team Richman has coached the past serveral seasons.

Castor Troy
12-20-2018, 08:19 PM
I am a season ticket holder since the SHAC opened. I miss the Hot Dog Peddler since they went Dining Center for almost all of their catering and it is really subpar. I like going over and buying Dippin' Dots from Lars since the sales provides an entire scholarship to the track budget. The sound is questionable and the leg room is unacceptable. But I would have to say that I like this team, even though they are a patch work squad. They have had some good wins at home this year, but I am not giving Richman any credit. We have some new pieces to the team that are doing things on their own to advance the team. But the big improvement for me is that there is no one named AJ Jacobson on the team. This team will win more games than they should and yes, I think they have a bright future.

bisonfan08
12-26-2018, 02:18 PM

I 100% agree and you didn't even mention Eady. There really isn't a reason talent wise why we could be gunning for the 2 seed in the Summit League tournament this year but without a coach that knows how to utilize the talent we won't get there. We don't lose anybody going into next season (assuming nobody bails) it would be a great opportunity for success for a new coach to come in and get things back on the right track.

roadwarrior
12-26-2018, 02:43 PM
It gets real this weekend. South Dakota is here Friday night and Fort Wayne is here Sunday afternoon.

Professor Chaos
12-26-2018, 02:50 PM
It gets real this weekend. South Dakota is here Friday night and Fort Wayne is here Sunday afternoon.
Win both: No new "Fire Richman" threads and maybe 1-5 more posts each in the current ones.
Split: 1 new "Fire Richman" thread and 20-30 more posts in each of the current ones.
Lose both: The men's basketball forum is reduced to ashes by Monday morning.

Bison"FANatic"
12-26-2018, 03:16 PM
If there is a Blizzard and SD can not get here for the Friday game do we consider that a win???????:hide::hide::hide:

JohnnyExtacy
12-26-2018, 06:38 PM
I really think a lot of the fanbase overestimates the young talent on this team. They are way more young than they are talented. I don't see what you guys see in terms of these young guys being among the best young guys in the conference. i thought it was talented too, but when you watch them play, they really aren't anything special, and that is something anyone can see outside of the coaching.

Vet70
12-26-2018, 06:44 PM
I really think a lot of the fanbase overestimates the young talent on this team. They are way more young than they are talented. I don't see what you guys see in terms of these young guys being among the best young guys in the conference. i thought it was talented too, but when you watch them play, they really aren't anything special, and that is something anyone can see outside of the coaching.

Who recruited those players that lack talent?

JohnnyExtacy
12-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Who recruited those players that lack talent?

The coach is significantly underachieving and the young guys in the program really aren't as uber talentedas most people here seem to think. Established.

THEsocalledfan
12-26-2018, 07:27 PM
If there is a Blizzard and SD can not get here for the Friday game do we consider that a win???????:hide::hide::hide:

Any day a basketball team from NDSU does not lose is a win. So, Yes!!!!!

Professor Chaos
12-26-2018, 08:33 PM
You don't have any better idea than the rest of us when it comes to the ability that is or isn't there because it's all raw and unorganized right now. It's super tough to get a 6'10" guy who can play back to the basket or step out to the 3 point line onto a Summit League roster and it sure looks like the Bison have that in Kreuser. Deng Geu has the raw athleticism to be a difference maker at this level. As for the rest of them yeah you've got a point that there's plenty of good guards and perimeter forwards in the Summit League so what NDSU has isn't all that special in comparison but if Kreuser and Geu are developed that combination can be special and can differentiate this team from others in the Summit League.

Burnt_Secondary
01-01-2019, 12:37 AM
Man, this season can't get over soon enough. At least with our former coaches we could maybe have hope that something was being built and come along for the ride. I just don't get that feeling anymore. My frustration with Saul was that he seemed to load things for one good year.

Luckily they produced for that one year even though I always thought they were good enough to get there as Juniors. My biggest fear with him was that he loads up a team and they don't make it to the dance and we have to wait another 4 to 5 years.

What I would give to go back to those days, players staying to be developed and becoming Seniors.

Bison bison
01-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Not a big basketball fan. Went to my first nba game this week. Had a blast with my sons. Not spending another nickel or minute watching the sh#t that Larson allows to be played unless something changes big time.

HerdBot
01-01-2019, 02:54 PM
You don't have any better idea than the rest of us when it comes to the ability that is or isn't there because it's all raw and unorganized right now. It's super tough to get a 6'10" guy who can play back to the basket or step out to the 3 point line onto a Summit League roster and it sure looks like the Bison have that in Kreuser. Deng Geu has the raw athleticism to be a difference maker at this level. As for the rest of them yeah you've got a point that there's plenty of good guards and perimeter forwards in the Summit League so what NDSU has isn't all that special in comparison but if Kreuser and Geu are developed that combination can be special and can differentiate this team from others in the Summit League.

Problem is the clock is running out on Geu since hes a senior next year. But otherwise I agree with everything you said

Burnt_Secondary
01-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Problem is the clock is running out on Geu since hes a senior next year. But otherwise I agree with everything you said

I am so angry for Geu, any coach other than Richman would use him. Unfortunately, Richman would rather promote kids that score 3 points and .5 turnovers than someone that could score 16 points with 2 turnovers. It doesn't make sense.

Play scared and don't turn the ball over. Its the Richman way.

(I'm really salty today, I love college hoops and I feel like Richman took it away from me.)

ndsubison1
01-01-2019, 05:00 PM
5 Kreuser
4 Geu
3 Ward
2 Eady
1 Shahid

No big off the bench, but someone would have to play a lil longer than normal. But that would deviate from Richman's script.

Bisonnation06
01-01-2019, 05:38 PM
Most of the perimeter players on this team are freshmen or sophomores: Eady (redshirt), Knotek (redshirt), Cook, Gresiel, Horn, and Hunter. Are you comparing them to juniors, seniors, and red-shirt seniors on other teams? The games against USD and IPFW showed their potential. USD and IPFW did not start any freshmen and sophomores and Konchar is a 5th year senior. Name a freshmen or sophomore right now outside of NDSU in the league that is having a "great" season".... I think those young perimeter players are going to be good once they are juniors and seniors.

AND two teams that were picked to finish 2nd and 3rd in the league are currently in 8th and 9th place.

NDSUstudent
01-01-2019, 06:04 PM
The problem is nobody in the media gets it. NDSU on 24/7 called Richman going to the lineup with Gue, Ward and Rocky as being an excellent halftime adjustment....Putting your best lineup on the floor shouldn't be an excellent adjustment it should be what good coaches do. Nobody has the guts to put it in print and it's sad.

T-Funk
01-01-2019, 06:08 PM
The problem is nobody in the media gets it. NDSU on 24/7 called Richman going to the lineup with Gue, Ward and Rocky as being an excellent halftime adjustment....Putting your best lineup on the floor shouldn't be an excellent adjustment it should be what good coaches do. Nobody has the guts to put it in print and it's sad.

Paging Mike McFeely...

StL Bison Fan
01-01-2019, 06:14 PM
Paging Mike McFeely...

He’s at most games with his wife. He sees

Burnt_Secondary
01-01-2019, 07:53 PM
Most of the perimeter players on this team are freshmen or sophomores: Eady (redshirt), Knotek (redshirt), Cook, Gresiel, Horn, and Hunter. Are you comparing them to juniors, seniors, and red-shirt seniors on other teams? The games against USD and IPFW showed their potential. USD and IPFW did not start any freshmen and sophomores and Konchar is a 5th year senior. Name a freshmen or sophomore right now outside of NDSU in the league that is having a "great" season".... I think those young perimeter players are going to be good once they are juniors and seniors.

AND two teams that were picked to finish 2nd and 3rd in the league are currently in 8th and 9th place.

Do you really think Richman can develop this promising talent? Half won’t even stick around to be seniors the other half are what they are and will not improve under this staff.

ndsubison1
01-01-2019, 09:24 PM

Jenkins Sdsu/Webster WIU. Sophomores.

Also conference play just started.

Bisonnation06
01-01-2019, 10:30 PM
Jenkins Sdsu/Webster WIU. Sophomores.

Also conference play just started.

Exactly! Only 2 players out of 9 teams and they are sophomores (no freshmen). And Jenkins did one year in prep school so he is technically a junior (with the best player in the league on his team). And yes, the season just started so the same argument applies to this team. In addition, the 2 bottom teams (picked 2nd and 3rd) have a record of 5-11 and 6-8

Bisonnation06
01-01-2019, 10:33 PM
Do you really think Richman can develop this promising talent? Half won’t even stick around to be seniors the other half are what they are and will not improve under this staff.

How do you know that? Which half will not stick around? Which will not improve? Please point to those players?

CalBison97
01-01-2019, 11:07 PM
UCLA fired Steve Alford yesterday. They are willing to eat a few dollars for the good of the program.

Honeybooboo
01-01-2019, 11:35 PM
How do you know that? Which half will not stick around? Which will not improve? Please point to those players?

Hi Dave!!

:hide:

Burnt_Secondary
01-01-2019, 11:49 PM

Doesn't matter which ones, half will leave, half won't develop, it is loose loose.

Please point to our great player development. I can play that game to. I am glad you believe, enjoy the season. Weave and chuck a three into 2019!

SDSUAlum08
01-02-2019, 12:22 AM

Jenkins is a stud. Owen King will be a player. Arians and Dentlinger have had really good games. And if Michael Carter is around next year he should be just as good of a guard as Jenkins (without as much scoring).

Bisonator98
01-02-2019, 12:57 AM

Why is that? That's also on Richman is it not? He's been in charge for five years, where are his juniors and seniors? Geu is one of the best players on the team and Richman doesn't play him enough!

ndsubison1
01-02-2019, 02:07 AM
Exactly! Only 2 players out of 9 teams and they are sophomores (no freshmen). And Jenkins did one year in prep school so he is technically a junior (with the best player in the league on his team). And yes, the season just started so the same argument applies to this team. In addition, the 2 bottom teams (picked 2nd and 3rd) have a record of 5-11 and 6-8

But I agree with your point on them being young. But, don't you think there should be more consistency with guys like Ward, Geu, AJ last year? That's all on coaching.

HerdBot
01-02-2019, 02:37 AM
5 Kreuser
4 Geu
3 Ward
2 Eady
1 Shahid

No big off the bench, but someone would have to play a lil longer than normal. But that would deviate from Richman's script.

I like the Geu / Rocky in the middle. Against Summit competition, it's good size. It worked like a charm vs USD. That being said, well probably stop doing it

BisonTeacher
01-02-2019, 03:48 AM
I like the Geu / Rocky in the middle. Against Summit competition, it's good size. It worked like a charm vs USD. That being said, well probably stop doing it

I was thinking the same thing...but if we do, what does that say. To me that's just asking to be fired at this point. He's daring ML.

southcliffbison
01-02-2019, 10:37 AM
I was thinking the same thing...but if we do, what does that say. To me that's just asking to be fired at this point. He's daring ML.

Just don't understand the mindset...……"We are going to do it my way and lose; because if we don't do it my way and win, well, it's not my way." What an arrogant ass and the sooner he's gone, the better.

Bisonnation06
01-02-2019, 11:53 AM
But I agree with your point on them being young. But, don't you think there should be more consistency with guys like Ward, Geu, AJ last year? That's all on coaching.

Absolutely and I think that's the issue. Good mid major programs in my opinion have strong upperclassmen and those guys lead a team. So I agree with you regarding the inconsistency with the older guys. But are they still talented? Yes.

bisoneer
01-06-2019, 10:14 PM
IMO, they should have went out of house for a coach when Saul left, Program was on a streak, Well recognized, new facility coming. Everything a good up and coming coach wanted.

Agreed, Saul had it going in the upward direction, then the weave offense Richman runs put me to sleep. We dropped our season tickets too. Why have them when the place is empty because of not being able to compete and win home conference games. How many scholarships does Bison men BB and Women BB get? Is this a factor too?

BisonTeacher
01-07-2019, 03:34 AM

I don't know if I agree completely. with that. We pulled an NDSU football hire. It worked to keep klieman and now we hired entz. Maybe that's what they were thinking.

moosbah
01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
I don't know if I agree completely. with that. We pulled an NDSU football hire. It worked to keep klieman and now we hired entz. Maybe that's what they were thinking.

I'm not a hoops guy, but it's just painful to watch NDSU basketball in general.

Remember what seems like 100 years ago when we beat Oklahoma in the tournament.

This program is soooooo far in the ground.

unbison
01-07-2019, 06:14 PM
It was a basketball hire as that’s how Saul was hired.... just saying.... it wasn’t a football hire as the basketball program did it first... just saying ... the last two football hires have been very Ndsu basketball type hires

Mr Pep Band
01-08-2019, 04:59 PM
At least the Saul teams in the early 2010's were at least fun to watch or at least tried to win. This stuff the last few years is frustrating.

Kujava23
01-09-2019, 06:07 PM
At what point......DO THE PLAYERS----think---this guy (RICHMAN) is not a good coach?

devin45k
01-10-2019, 02:50 AM
I hope some alum and donors start getting on Larsen’s butt about both the men’s and women’s programs. They need a change and they need it soon

Professorbum
01-10-2019, 03:01 AM
I hope some alum and donors start getting on Larsen’s butt about both the men’s and women’s programs. They need a change and they need it soon

Me canceling my two season tickets does not seem to have done the trick.

Civil06
01-10-2019, 03:07 AM

It would be interesting to know the number of non-renewed season tickets. I gave up 5. I’ll still go to games but only a select few.

bajadanny
01-10-2019, 04:08 AM
Wow must be a sad sack crowd in that new arena

Get rid of both of them

StL Bison Fan
01-10-2019, 05:15 AM
Wow must be a sad sack crowd in that new arena

Get rid of both of them

I wouldn’t exactly call it a crowd.
Perhaps tomorrow will bring better attendance. It’s depressing

RedRiver
01-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Probably not, as I added four season tickets to our 2 so we can take other family members to the games. What hurts most is the students being on break for conference games, otherwise the crowds have been o.k.

StL Bison Fan
01-10-2019, 04:16 PM
Probably not, as I added four season tickets to our 2 so we can take other family members to the games. What hurts most is the students being on break for conference games, otherwise the crowds have been o.k.

It’s just not fun without students.

Professor Chaos
01-10-2019, 05:06 PM
It’s just not fun without students.
Ever since they moved back on campus it hasn't really been fun with the students either. They're sitting on the butts more than the people at mid-court. The student section at the old BSA was far more lively (of course they were behind the benches not behind the basket). Seems like the students forgot how to get involved in the game after those two years of the games being off campus.

Professorbum
01-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Ever since they moved back on campus it hasn't really been fun with the students either. They're sitting on the butts more than the people at mid-court. The student section at the old BSA was far more lively (of course they were behind the benches not behind the basket). Seems like the students forgot how to get involved in the game after those two years of the games being off campus.

I think some consistent, solid basketball against good opponents or meaningful rivals would get the students excited. I think back to last year's home game against UND. The students turned out for that one and were energized. We thanked them for their support by dropping a turd in their lap.

Professor Chaos
01-10-2019, 06:11 PM
I think some consistent, solid basketball against good opponents or meaningful rivals would get the students excited. I think back to last year's home game against UND. The students turned out for that one and were energized. We thanked them for their support by dropping a turd in their lap.
They were there... how energized they were could be debated. But, like you said, not much that happened on the court was worthy of excitement both last year and the first year in the SHAC when they played UND.

CalBison97
01-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Bottom line is winning is fun. And we're not winning enough.

JSUBison
01-10-2019, 06:41 PM
It’s just not fun without Saul Phillips.

If you was a student who would get you engaged and having fun, Saul or Mr. Grumpy Scowl? Not saying Saul was perfect, but he was my favorite coach at NDSU, football included, and I miss that personality of his. :(

https://i0.wp.com/cfbsection.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Saul-Phillips-is-pumped-after-upsetting-Oklahoma.gif?w=640

grizlandbisonfan
01-10-2019, 06:55 PM
The current RPI vs the teams we've beaten:
- 133 (UCSB)
- 324 (Towson)
- 313 (EWU)
- 240 (MoSt.)
- 264 (USD)

And our losses:
- 67 (NMState)
- 205 (Miami OH)
- 309 (UIW)
- 86 (ETSt)
- 19 (Zags)
- 59 (Drake)
- 33 (IA State)
- 119 (Montana)
- 161 (IPFW)
- 179 (Omaha)

We haven't played any of the top-100 RPI teams even close. We have exactly 1 win in the top-150 and I wouldn't be surprised to see UCSB drop into the 200's by season end (there non-conference schedule was a joke). I didn't include non-DI games... those are embarrassing.

runtheoption
01-10-2019, 08:44 PM
The current RPI vs the teams we've beaten:
- 133 (UCSB)
- 324 (Towson)
- 313 (EWU)
- 240 (MoSt.)
- 264 (USD)

And our losses:
- 67 (NMState)
- 205 (Miami OH)
- 309 (UIW)
- 86 (ETSt)
- 19 (Zags)
- 59 (Drake)
- 33 (IA State)
- 119 (Montana)
- 161 (IPFW)
- 179 (Omaha)

We haven't played any of the top-100 RPI teams even close. We have exactly 1 win in the top-150 and I wouldn't be surprised to see UCSB drop into the 200's by season end (there non-conference schedule was a joke). I didn't include non-DI games... those are embarrassing.

#buttgauchos

NDSUstudent
01-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Historically Richman has struggled mightly against top 100 teams, even when he had good teams. So none of that is much of a shock. I mean what is his signature nonconference win? Not sure one even exists.

Kujava23
01-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Historically Richman has struggled mightly against top 100 teams, even when he had good teams. So none of that is much of a shock. I mean what is his signature nonconference win? Not sure one even exists.

Splitting with UND each year???

ndsubison1
01-11-2019, 02:18 PM

Missouri State or Akron

bisonfan08
01-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Missouri State or Akron

Yup, those are as good as it gets....the closest we've gotten to beating a reputable out of conference opponent was a 6 point loss to a not very good Illinois team. We haven't even been competitive in our games against high major competition since LA graduated, it's awful looking back at some of the scores.

twinsguy03
01-12-2019, 03:55 AM
This is a guy they should interview and consider. He's a proven leader and a proven winner. Not to mention as an AD he hired Klieman and we all know how he ended up.8748

BISONFAN4LIFE
01-17-2019, 03:51 AM
This is a guy they should interview and consider. He's a proven leader and a proven winner. Not to mention as an AD he hired Klieman and we all know how he ended up.8748

Agreed. No way he could drive the program deeper in the ground. Fire NOW!

HerdBot
01-17-2019, 04:20 AM

Lets just say I am jealous of Tom Billeter

Wally
01-17-2019, 04:38 AM
If you was a student who would get you engaged and having fun, Saul or Mr. Grumpy Scowl? Not saying Saul was perfect, but he was my favorite coach at NDSU, football included, and I miss that personality of his. :(

https://i0.wp.com/cfbsection.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Saul-Phillips-is-pumped-after-upsetting-Oklahoma.gif?w=640

I’ve seen potted plants with more personality than DR.

bisonpride4ever
01-17-2019, 06:36 AM
I posted this in the Womens thread but it works here too

NDSU Basketball: Embrace the Suck!

Just a sad state of affairs for both squads.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Burnt_Secondary
01-17-2019, 02:22 PM
I think it is becoming safe to say that NDSU has hung on to Richman one year too long. No need to do anything until March now . . .

I think the timing of when to make a move is a big deal and NDSU really botched this one. The one extra year of DR has really hurt the program and this one year has set the program back multiple. We could really see something was wrong over the last couple of years. You would think that there would be some inside info on player exit interviews (if they do such a thing) that could have given Larson some light on the situation and be able to make a move at the right time. The "Well, he only has one year left" approach means you really didn't want him anyway.

We need a dynamic coach that's for sure. A whole new staff to evaluate and use the talent we have.

Tony Almeida
01-17-2019, 03:18 PM
I’ve seen potted plants with more personality than DR.Somebody has been playing Plants vs Zombies...

Professor Chaos
01-17-2019, 03:21 PM
I think it is becoming safe to say that NDSU has hung on to Richman one year too long. No need to do anything until March now . . .

I think the timing of when to make a move is a big deal and NDSU really botched this one. The one extra year of DR has really hurt the program and this one year has set the program back multiple. We could really see something was wrong over the last couple of years. You would think that there would be some inside info on player exit interviews (if they do such a thing) that could have given Larson some light on the situation and be able to make a move at the right time. The "Well, he only has one year left" approach means you really didn't want him anyway.

We need a dynamic coach that's for sure. A whole new staff to evaluate and use the talent we have.
It was probably penny pinching from not wanting to buy Richman out. NDSU runs it's basketball program on the cheap, just look at the schedule the last few years. Supposedly the new arena was supposed to change the awful non-conference home schedule but it may have actually gotten worse since the BSA days. This would've been a good year to break in a new coach with the ultra young roster. They also probably would've avoided wasting potential redshirt years on guys like Cook and Knotek with a coaching staff looking towards the future. I still think the talent is there to be a Summit League contender next year but they need the new coach to keep the team together.

BisManBison
01-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Hypothetically, who are some prospects and leading contenders for the job?

Snowgoose
01-17-2019, 03:57 PM
I will say this. Sometimes we as fans overrate players and how much a coach can change things. I have been guilty of this as well at times. Although once in a while a coach changes everything such as what Sean McVay has done for the Rams. Another example is I don't think a new coach will help the Twolves at all because their top dogs are not that good. At least with College you can change things pretty quickly with a few good recruits. It will be interesting to see if Richman goes how much players improve. At this point Richman needs to go so that is kind of a given.

Kujava23
01-17-2019, 04:28 PM
It was probably penny pinching from not wanting to buy Richman out. NDSU runs it's basketball program on the cheap, just look at the schedule the last few years. Supposedly the new arena was supposed to change the awful non-conference home schedule but it may have actually gotten worse since the BSA days. This would've been a good year to break in a new coach with the ultra young roster. They also probably would've avoided wasting potential redshirt years on guys like Cook and Knotek with a coaching staff looking towards the future. I still think the talent is there to be a Summit League contender next year but they need the new coach to keep the team together.

Yeah Im sure Knotek is really glad his redshirt was pulled!!

bisonroom25
01-17-2019, 05:11 PM
in no way am i saying this should or will happen, but what are y’all’s thoughts on “fire richman” chants during a home game? classless? justifiable given the situation?

Tony Almeida
01-17-2019, 05:16 PM
in no way am i saying this should or will happen, but what are y’all’s thoughts on “fire richman” chants during a home game? classless? justifiable given the situation?I think Bison fans are a little more classier than this.

ByeSonBusiness
01-17-2019, 06:03 PM
in no way am i saying this should or will happen, but what are y’all’s thoughts on “fire richman” chants during a home game? classless? justifiable given the situation?

People will probably just quit going to games before that happens.

Professor Chaos
01-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Pretty classless I'd say. He's got a wife and 4 kids that are likely to be in the crowd and I think he's given it an honest effort, he's just not cut out to be a D1 head coach (at least not right now). If anyone wants a more respectful way to show their displeasure I think a thoughtful email to Matt Larsen would be a much better way to have your voice heard.

bisonroom25
01-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Pretty classless I'd say. He's got a wife and 4 kids that are likely to be in the crowd and I think he's given it an honest effort, he's just not cut out to be a D1 head coach (at least not right now). If anyone wants a more respectful way to show their displeasure I think a thoughtful email to Matt Larsen would be a much better way to have your voice heard.

totally agree with this sentiment.

ndsubison1
01-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Hypothetically, who are some prospects and leading contenders for the job?

Armon Gates

ndsubison1
01-17-2019, 06:35 PM

No just no.

El_Chapo
01-17-2019, 06:41 PM
#1 und game isnt even a rivalry anymore (see SDSU, USD)

#2 I can't even give away my Front Row tickets.. how sad is that.

#3 Gene Taylor Absolutely screwed the pooch in the butthole by not opening up a nationwide search after Saul left, just embarassing.

Burnt_Secondary
01-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Yeah, no need to do that in front of his family. Bitching on a message board is one thing, calling in to a radio show is fine too (the radio show is awfully dry).

Now if he is still here next year . . . you could probably do that and be heard pretty clearly in an empty stadium. There is no way he comes back unless he gets to the tournament. I think everyone knows this in and out of the organization.

BAT67
01-17-2019, 07:05 PM
my question is why is geu not starting and has the 7th most minutes on the team in my opinion he is wrecking what could be a hell of a players career any thoughts?

Honeybooboo
01-17-2019, 07:27 PM
my question is why is geu not starting and has the 7th most minutes on the team in my opinion he is wrecking what could be a hell of a players career any thoughts?

the million dollar question that has been asked for the last couple years, and its not only Gue….sad deal

NDSUstudent
01-17-2019, 07:27 PM

I have no idea, Richman must enjoy losing his way instead of trying to win basketball games.

Burnt_Secondary
01-17-2019, 08:14 PM
I have no idea, Richman must enjoy losing his way instead of trying to win basketball games.

Now if someone wanted a chant "We want Geu! We want Geu!" I am all for that!!!!!

BisonHorns
01-17-2019, 09:43 PM
I have been a season ticket holder for years now. This the first time I am so sick of Richman that I don't even want to go to the games. When the Shac reopened I was disappointed if the middle section of seats had a few empty rows. Now the middle section behind the players is lucky to have a few full rows. Richman is not the man for this job.