PDA

View Full Version : Walker Greatest Bison QB

swany_spectrum
09-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Although relatively young I have been around since the days of Dacotah Field and have watched some great qb's at NDSU.

This got me to thinking after Steve Walker's latest performance. If he continues his level of play for the duration of this season and continues to grow and improve over the course of the next two will he be the greatest quarterback to ever wear a Bison jersey?

All things considered, i.e., level of competition, all around qb skills (passing, vision, limiting turnovers, making big plays, etc.) I think he will.

BisonMav
09-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Although relatively young I have been around since the days of Dacotah Field and have watched some great qb's at NDSU. *

This got me to thinking after Steve Walker's latest performance. *If he continues his level of play for the duration of this season and continues to grow and improve over the course of the next two will he be the greatest quarterback to ever wear a Bison jersey? *

All things considered, i.e., level of competition, all around qb skills (passing, vision, limiting turnovers, making big plays, etc.) I think he will.

He has a chance to be the best passing QB, but there is a guy named Jeff Bentrim that will be hard to bypass in the minds of Bison fans, and also another named Chris Simdorn.

swany_spectrum
09-12-2005, 07:39 PM
I thought about both those guys when I posed the question. Both Harlon Hill winners, both National Championship qb's, both figures larger than life in the minds of Bison fans.

However, their passing numbers and ability were dwarfed by the veer. Another question to ponder, how would those two and their teams (w/veer) do against teams like the Bison have faced now in DI, i.e., Northwestern State, Montana, etc.

bisononce
09-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Apples and oranges. Different times; different offenses. Bentrim and Simdorn were studs - TOUGH men who carried the ball and ran the outfit, with little passing.

Bison_Dan
09-12-2005, 07:55 PM
I thought about both those guys when I posed the question. *Both Harlon Hill winners, both National Championship qb's, both figures larger than life in the minds of Bison fans. *

However, their passing numbers and ability were dwarfed by the veer. *Another question to ponder, how would those two and their teams (w/veer) do against teams like the Bison have faced now in DI, i.e., Northwestern State, Montana, etc. *

Bennie's running abilities more than make up for his lack of passing numbers. *He was a winner that got his team to the title game 4 years in a row winning 3 and it took a 47 yard field goal with 3 seconds left to beat them in year 2. *Steve Walker is also a winner so it's going to be fun watching him the next 3 years! * ;D ;D

WYOBISONMAN
09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Jeff Bentrim........Walker has not come close to reaching Bentrim status yet.

bisonplayer_43
09-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Regaurdless of the times and situation what people really remember is national titles and I don't think Walker will have a chance for one.

So when it comes to the history of the bison I dont think he will match up. But how about this. He might be the best player in 1AA right now. He not only makes the offense better but when you keep the chains moving on third and 10 he makes the defence better.

On a different note though. Im new to this site. and was wondering if anyone new the record for number of wins by a team going from D2 too 1AA in the transition period. I have to think the Mighty Bison have a shot.

IowaBison
09-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Regaurdless of the times and situation what people really remember is national titles and I don't think Walker will have a chance for one.

So when it comes to the history of the bison *I dont think he will match up. *But how about this. *He might be the best player in 1AA right now. *He not only makes the offense better but when you keep the chains moving on third and 10 he makes the defence better.

On a different note though. *Im new to this site. and was wondering if anyone new the record for number of wins by a team going from D2 *too 1AA in the transition period. *I have to think the Mighty Bison have a shot.

Not that it's really comparable, but the best to move was Georgia Southern.

From 1984 to 1989 they went 70-14 earning two titles.

Year
School
W
L
T
Pct.

Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern

Total (8 Yrs)

bisonplayer_43
09-12-2005, 08:11 PM
How did they get the titles if they were in a transition period? ???

IowaBison
09-12-2005, 08:13 PM
How did they get the titles if they were in a transition period? ???

I'm pretty sure the rules were a little different back then.

kchats
09-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Bentrim hands down. Simdorn was good too but Bentrim never got hurt either. If I remember correctly Bentrim was the strongest player on the team in the weight room. I remember a piece on the Bison in 1985 or 1986 on the NFL Today by Jimmy the Greek where he said the Bison were the 10th best team in the country regardless of division. No contest. Walker does make plays but if you can find any old film from the Bison football seasons in 1982-1986 where Bentrim was at the controls you'll be thoroughly impressed. They also had a great defense and most games were over by the end of the first quarter. They usually scored a bunch early on their margin of victory was huge.

go_bison
09-12-2005, 08:30 PM
It's like comparing Marino and Montana. Marino has the stats but Montana has the rings. (I believe Marino would trade his stats for Montana's rings in a heartbeat). Walker will probably break some records at NDSU but won't have dominating National Championships like Bentrim.

kchats
09-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Scholarship levels were much higher in division II in the early 80's as well. I believe they may have been at 55 when Bentrim played.

Big_BisonFan
09-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Although relatively young I have been around since the days of Dacotah Field and have watched some great qb's at NDSU.

This got me to thinking after Steve Walker's latest performance. If he continues his level of play for the duration of this season and continues to grow and improve over the course of the next two will he be the greatest quarterback to ever wear a Bison jersey?

All things considered, i.e., level of competition, all around qb skills (passing, vision, limiting turnovers, making big plays, etc.) I think he will

To get back to the original question/comment. I believe that Walker has the ability with 2 more full years and the remander of this year to enter near if not enter the class in which Bentrim and Simdorn are in with regard to Bison QB's. The offenses are different, but the success that they had and Walker possibly has could be considered comparable.

I also agree with those that have said this is apples and oranges, but there is still room for comparison given the different level of play, era, and offensive systems. All in all, I enjoy the discussion brought on by swany_spectrum.

mikelsch
09-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Walker is the greatest passingQB that NDSU has ever had. Although he doesn't have a lot to compare to since past teams were very run-oriented. Nonetheless when comparing Bentrim, Simdorn, and Walker...all have done what the team has asked for -- Just Win Baby.

tcbison
09-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey Greenie you just posted what I was going to post. Walker has proven so far he can win with the best of them. I wouldn't bet against him just like I wouldn't ever bet against Bentrim or Simdorn. All three were/are great to watch and I am happy they are part of the Bison football tradition.

Didn't Bentrim get injured during the 1984 National Championship game? I think Hammerschmidt replaced him and the Bison still almost won.

Gamehunter
09-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Actually, you guys are acting like there is no chance Walker can ever win a Championship, while that is simply not true. Sure, we are ineligible for playoffs untill after he is "supposed" to be done with his career. But lets face it, sometimes bad things can happen, and that can even lead to much better things down the road. I hope you know what I'm getting at.

Bison_Dan
09-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Scholarship levels were much higher in division II in the early 80's as well. *I believe they may have been at 55 when Bentrim played.

45 back then - dii lowered them in the 90's to 36.

I think that we need to come back to earth and start thinking about Weber State. I've seen some great Bison teams play down to the level of competition and just about get beat. I doubt this team will have a problem with that but you never know.

Gamehunter
09-12-2005, 09:07 PM
45 back then - dii lowered them in the 90's to 36.

I think that we need to come back to earth and start thinking about Weber State. I've seen some great Bison teams play down to the level of competition and just about get beat. I doubt this team will have a problem with that but you never know.

Agreed
Just look at what happened to Furman last Sat. Think that can't happen to the Bison? Every team happens to have a bad game once in a while. It just happens no matter how much the fans dont like it. Sometimes a team's worst game is still better than another teams best game, and then in that case you are set. That sure wasn't the case for us last year. Every game needs to be taken serious. You never know who is going to show up.

silkamilkamonico
09-12-2005, 09:09 PM
*Sure, we are ineligible for playoffs untill after he is "supposed" to be done with his career. *

When are we eligible anyways?

Is it 2008? Or is 2008 the last year of our transition period?

mikelsch
09-12-2005, 09:10 PM
The next challenge is certainly Weber St this weekend. But the next BIG challenge is at Montana St on TV. The TV and Rivalry games are demons this Bison team must exorcise, just like the road game 'demon' exorcised this past weekend.

bisonplayer_43
09-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Your right it is to early to be talkin National title remember 2001 bision having all the starters back from a pretty good play-off team the year before. Then going 7-4 lets wait until at least next week anyway! ;D

Gamehunter
09-12-2005, 09:32 PM
When are we eligible anyways?

Is it 2008? Or is 2008 the last year of our transition period?

I believe it is July 1, 2008 is the official date for the remaining sports not playoff eligible in 2006.

PDXKat
09-12-2005, 10:12 PM

So when it comes to the history of the bison *I dont think he will match up. *But how about this. *He might be the best player in 1AA right now. *He not only makes the offense better but when you keep the chains moving on third and 10 he makes the defence better.

On a different note though. *Im new to this site. and was wondering if anyone new the record for number of wins by a team going from D2 *too 1AA in the transition period. *I have to think the Mighty Bison have a shot.

I know it's early in the season and you're all excited, and have the right to, but best in 1-AA?

BISON_PRIDE
09-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Pose this question again in two years, way too early to comprehend. Walker could do his impersonation of Tony Stauss at any time. On a side note, It's way too early to talk about this but I think if the team would run out this VERY difficult schedule they should be allowed in the special Nat. Champ. area of the dome(?). It's wouldn't be fair for them not to have the opportunity.

Gamehunter
09-12-2005, 10:36 PM
I know it's early in the season and you're all excited, and have the right to, but best in 1-AA?

Yeah, 2nd week of the season and people already label him as that ??? Got me on that one too.
I would rather people not even start threads like this one ::) ::)

Lets play football

BISON_PRIDE
09-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Bentrim hands down. *Simdorn was good too but Bentrim never got hurt either. *If I remember correctly Bentrim was the strongest player on the team in the weight room. *I remember a piece on the Bison in 1985 or 1986 on the NFL Today by Jimmy the Greek where he said the Bison were the 10th best team in the country regardless of division. *No contest. *Walker does make plays but if you can find any old film from the Bison football seasons in 1982-1986 where Bentrim was at the controls you'll be thoroughly impressed. *They also had a great defense and most games were over by the end of the first quarter. *They usually scored a bunch early on their margin of victory was huge.
I was just thinking about that piece two days ago. It was right after Bentrim broke Walter Paytons TD mark. They showed a clip of him running it in from short yardage. They started the segment by showing the top ranked college teams and then when they got to #10 they said hold on it's North Dakota State. Good old Brent and Jimmy.

swany_spectrum
09-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Couple of comments. First off, if the Bison win the Great West conference they would be put in the Championship Room (the special room in the Dome reserved for conference and NCAA championship teams).

Second, Walker and Stauss are two different qb's. Stauss was a dink and dunker in the West Coast offense. His throws were between 5-10 yards most of the time, and correct me if I am wrong, he averaged well under 10 yards per throw (as a junior during a good year). This Bison coaching staff has the confidence to stretch the field with Walker. Did you see the highlights of his throws? His passes were on the money, the swing passes, short outs, slants, play action deep, out patterns, he was hitting his passes nicely.

Taking nothing away from Bentrim or Simdorn, they were great football players, the tops we've had. However, as far as complete quarterbacks go can you tell me they threw the ball as well as even Feeney? The games those great Bison teams lost came down to the other team stopping the ball and us not being able to pass.

Although Bentrim and Simdorn are better football players at this point, Walker is on the track to being the better overall quarterback. I don't beleive success should be completely measured on championships either.

How many rings did Fran Tarkington, Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, etc have combined? Zero. How many does Charles Haley have? Five. So does that mean Haley is a better player than the above mentioned? No. Josh Hybol won a championship for Oklahoma in the early 2000s. Michael Vick has no championships. Who is the better qb? Championships are part of the equation, but not all of it. What did Bison legend Mike Whetstone say in his speech to the team before that Cal Davis game..."it takes 48 tough bastards to win..."

(Sidenote: Isn't finally great to have this discussion....where we have a quarterback that is able to pass the ball consistently? No longer are we doomed to defeat when the opposing defense shuts down the run.

somebison
09-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Walker has started 5 games, although I fully expect him to be a stud, it is waaayyyy too early for this speculation IMHO :)

bisongold
09-12-2005, 11:53 PM
His numbers to date are compelling.

02Bison
09-13-2005, 12:08 AM
What we have here is a war of opinions between old school Bison Fans and New School Bison Fans. Rather than getting into a big debate (completely subjective may I remind you), how about just agreeing upon the fact they all excelled in the system they play(ed) in? Comparing players from different eras is apples and oranges. Stack them up against their current day peers if you want a good comparison. Using that guideline Bentrim and Simdorn were among the best in their era and Steve Walker is in the process of hopefully writing his chapter as one of the best QB's in his era. That is the bottom line!

BisonMav
09-13-2005, 12:25 AM
What we have here is a war of opinions between old school Bison Fans and New School Bison Fans. Rather than getting into a big debate (completely subjective may I remind you), how about just agreeing upon the fact they all excelled in the system they play(ed) in? *Comparing players from different eras is apples and oranges. *Stack them up against their current day peers if you want a good comparison. *Using that guideline Bentrim and Simdorn were among the best in their era and Steve Walker is in the process of hopefully writing his chapter as one of the best QB's in his era. *That is the bottom line!

Doh!! That's what most of us have been saying. Walker is a good passer, Bentrim and Simdorn great option QB's. Apples and Oranges.

Bisonguy
09-13-2005, 02:37 AM
What we have here is a war of opinions between old school Bison Fans and New School Bison Fans. Rather than getting into a big debate (completely subjective may I remind you), how about just agreeing upon the fact they all excelled in the system they play(ed) in? *Comparing players from different eras is apples and oranges. *Stack them up against their current day peers if you want a good comparison. *Using that guideline Bentrim and Simdorn were among the best in their era and Steve Walker is in the process of hopefully writing his chapter as one of the best QB's in his era. *That is the bottom line!

I'm just happy this discussion can take place. Much better than a "If only we had Bennie......" discussion.

Walker MAY be remembered as the QB that laid the foundation for a dominant I-AA program, including some new rings.

sambini
09-13-2005, 02:51 AM
Remember Bennys in the College hall of fame in South Bend ,IND. One of two I believe Bison in the hall . The other safety Joe Cichy. Roadwarrior is that right?

roadwarrior
09-13-2005, 03:35 AM
I'm as big of a Steve Walker fan as there is out there, but he has only started 5 games in his career so far. In a couple of years we will know how he ranks with the best of the QB's in Bison history.

kchats
09-13-2005, 03:45 AM
I think Steve Walker is a very good QB and he makes plays. He needs to stay healthy and keep playing well.

Simdorn started passing a bit in 1990. They were option passes where he would be out looking like he was going to pitch it and the back would go in front of him to block and Simdorn would throw the ball to a wide open receiver as the corner and safety came up to stop the option. Ask Indiana Pennsylvania about his passing in the championship game in 1990. I believe he had the flu or something because he spent some time throwing up on the sidelines but still made great plays in the blowout win.

Herd_Mentality
09-13-2005, 04:48 AM
All this talk about QBs makes me smile and think that NDSU will never see a wide receiver like T R McDonald again. Look at how many records he holds...and the offenses in which he played.

swany_spectrum
09-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Sambini, impressive knowledge and bit about Hall of Fame. Bentrim and Cichy are both in the Hall. But there is one more Bison in the Hall, coach Gil Dobie. Dobie coached for the Bison in 1906 and 1907, guiding the Bison to a 7 - 0 record in those two seasons. Arguably one of the greatest coaches to coach at NDSU ;)

JBB
09-13-2005, 06:23 AM
Gorder has most of our single season passing records, I cant remember how he ranks career wise. Rob Hyland was another great BISON passer. His career was cut short by a knee.

BisonMav
09-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Sambini, impressive knowledge and bit about Hall of Fame. *Bentrim and Cichy are both in the Hall. *But there is one more Bison in the Hall, coach Gil Dobie. *Dobie coached for the Bison in 1906 and 1907, guiding the Bison to a 7 - 0 record in those two seasons. *Arguably one of the greatest coaches to coach at NDSU ;)

Born in Hastings, MN, hometown of Bison WR John Majeski

coloradobison
09-13-2005, 02:36 PM
All this talk about QBs makes me smile and think that NDSU will never see a wide receiver like T R McDonald again. *Look at how many records he holds...and the offenses in which he played.

Dont say that just yet. While it is very impressive what T.R. did, especially in a veer offense, better receivers will undoubtedly come through NDSU in the years to come. Travis White needed only 15 catches to match T.R. which he will certainly do next year when he is back.
Dont take this as a knock on what T.R. did, but he was the; quote, unquote, only wideout that was utilized in the veer offense, with the new offense, tightends, wideout, even the running backs catch balls, so it is much harder to put up large numbers when the distribution is greater.
I still remember watching T.R. at Dacotah Field, it was amazing, but i think better receivers should be coming through NDSU in the future.

BisonIsInTheBlood
09-13-2005, 04:35 PM
What about Gorder?? I dont think he gets as much credit as he should. His record as a QB for the Bison make him look not so good. He has a few of the records in a time when the Bison offense was not to impressive. I think he was one of the better passing QB's the Bison have had. If he would of played in this offense it would of showed. He has the accuracy to hit the short routes and also has the arm to stretch the defense. I think Walker and Gorder are very similar QB's except Walker has way more mobility. Gorder was definately a student of the game and he would of flourished in the West Coast.

JBB
09-13-2005, 06:23 PM
If Gorder hadnt gone done on Omaha NDSU would have had another DII national championship.

It was Gorder, after all, that dominated the prestigious Golden Arm competition and he dominates the BISON passing records.

coloradobison
09-13-2005, 08:08 PM
If Gorder hadnt gone done on Omaha NDSU would have had another DII national championship.

It was Gorder, after all, that dominated the prestigious Golden Arm competition and he dominates the BISON passing records.

True Dat JBB, playing in the kitty litter at Delta didnt help much either. but without a passing attack in that game, all Delta had to do was containLamar, which they did. Did Delta end up winning it that year?

BisonCountry
09-13-2005, 08:29 PM
True Dat JBB, playing in the kitty litter at Delta didnt help much either. but without a passing attack in that game, all Delta had to do was containLamar, which they did. Did Delta end up winning it that year?

Yes...they whooped Bloomsburg 63-34.

Back on topic...I'll agree with others in stating that it is WAY WAY WAY too early to be having this conversation. The only thing you could say is that he has had an impressive 5 game span, but let's save this conversation for a couple years down the road. The guy did throw an interception this past week. ;)

WYOBISONMAN
09-13-2005, 09:15 PM
You forgot the asterisk "*"

Delta State* won the Championship that year.

* Semi-final game played on an unplayable field.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

kchats
09-13-2005, 11:33 PM
More appropriately the Bison got jobbed on hosting the playoff game by a mysterious reseeding that discounted NDSU's road playoff wins over #1 Northwest Missouri State and #4 Nebraska Omaha. I don't believe they ever fully explained why the Bison didn't earn the right to host that semi-final game.

02Bison
09-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Alright, enough with the Delta State game excuses. Both teams played on the same field so that's not a valid excuse. I seem to remember a 165 lb linebacker linebacker from Delta State laying the smack down on NDSU guys that had about 100 pounds on him. Nothing more needs to be said on the topic other than the better team won that day. Excuses do no good, so don't make them!

JBB
09-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Well, Im sorry, but the * is firmly in place. *Its guys like WyoBison that keep history alive. *We will not forget history no matter how polite we are trying to be. *

I dont think anybody is saying the lack of a playable football surface at a questionable venue to begin with was any kind of an excuse, but it is a necessary piece of information if future fans hold any hope of understanding the events of the day. *

Lets not get so involved with being nice that we rewrite the past ok?

DSU*

*hosted Semi-final game on an unplayable field.

SDbison
09-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Definitely too early to tell if Walker will be the greatest Bison QB. But, watching Walker perform in the UNC game last year, executing well on the road against quality teams late last season, and now continuing his performance early this season I can't help but believe he is the real deal. Look at his leadership, confidence and abilities and you can see good things happening. Apparently he is giving coach Bohl the confidence to make some of the positive statements about the near future of the program. Of course there are a lot of other players that contribute, but look at how much impact Stauss' lack of leadership and confidence affected game outcomes the past two years. I just watched some highlights from the Northwestern game and Walkers passing is a thing of beauty. As long as he has some good receivers to pass to and keeps healthy Walker will make some waves in DI. I think some on this board are reluctant to acknowledge how lucky we are to have Walker. It's not like NDSU was known as a tremendous passing team in the past to lure great passing prospects. Yes, Walker will have a bad game or two in his career, but I expect him to accomplish much based on what he has shown so far. IMO he is the most talented passing QB to wear a Bison uniform.

SDbison
09-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Alright, enough with the Delta State game excuses. *Both teams played on the same field so that's not a valid excuse. *I seem to remember a 165 lb linebacker linebacker from Delta State laying the smack down on NDSU guys that had about 100 pounds on him. *Nothing more needs to be said on the topic other than the better team won that day. *Excuses do no good, so don't make them!

OK proper manners teacher 02Bison. We should all be as perfect as you are. :-/ BTW, home field is an advantage and when you practice and play on a crap field you might be a bit more prepared than the visitors.

kchats
09-14-2005, 12:45 AM
My post only stated that the NCAA division II playoff committee shafted the Bison by awarding a home playoff game to a lower seeded team that had advanced to the semi-final game by beating lower seeded teams than the Bison did. If you don't have a problem with how that playoff game site was decided you don't know much. It is another reason I'm glad the Bison are no longer division II.

Bisonfan1
09-14-2005, 02:17 AM
There you go again 02Bison, just cant make a post without slamming someone can you. I remember someone from the media interviewing a Bison player after the playoff victory prior to Delta State, and it went like this and i will never forget it "How's it feel to be returning home to North Dakota for the next playoff game" I dont think there was anyone who did not believe the Bison were going to host that playoff game, and that is fact. And the field did suck, the game should never have been played at Delta State. Back on topic, Steve Walker appears to be the real deal, he is very comfortable in this type of offense and has done his homework. It is my understanding that a west coast type offense can be very difficult to exicute by the QB. Walker seems to have a firm grasp on the system. GO BISON

WYOBISONMAN
09-14-2005, 02:36 AM
Well, Im sorry, but the * is firmly in place. *Its guys like WyoBison that keep history alive. *We will not forget history no matter how polite we are trying to be. *

I dont think anybody is saying the lack of a playable football surface at a questionable venue to begin with was any kind of an excuse, but it is a necessary piece of information if future fans hold any hope of understanding the events of the day. *

Lets not get so involved with being nice that we rewrite the past ok?

DSU*

*hosted Semi-final game on an unplayable field.

That's right.........I'll give up the asterisk when they pry it from my cold, dead hands....... ;D

bisonplayer_43
09-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Now We did get womped down in delta, so I won't make exuses for the loss. But its definatly a memory I wish i didn't have Im still shaking cat litter out of places where cat litter should never be! ;D.

I also think it had an effect on the following season as well. You could just tell some guys in the off season had a hard time dealing with it. And to this day we still talk about it!

tony
09-14-2005, 10:07 AM
I don't even get involved in the Simdorn v Bentrim debate... just glad they weren't at NDSU at the same time.

Former_Hitman
09-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Bisonplayer_43,

If I remember correctly, you were/are an ugly looking player.

Does 28.5 career sacks include scrimmages??

HA HA

Also, going back to the topic, Steve Walker is a good player, but speaking gr--t player is an poor statement.

WYOBISONMAN
09-14-2005, 02:49 PM
*You could just tell some guys in the off season had a hard time dealing with it. *And to this day we still talk about it!

Hell 43.........I am an alumnus and I have a hard time dealing with it!! ;)

mikelsch
09-14-2005, 04:59 PM
This Bison team is starting to remind me a lot of the New England Patriots. We still have a long way to go, but hopefully we can build a program similar to theirs.

1. Most valuable Bison = QB Walker
Most valuable Patriot = QB Brady
Both teams would suffer greatly without the services of their respective onfield leaders.

2. Coach Bohl and Coach Belicheck
Both staffs have lost O and D coordinators, but the head man stays in place to keep the ship going in the right direction. The established system generates success.

3. Play solid and disciplined on defense and special teams

4. Balance on offense -- rushing and passing

bisonplayer_43
09-14-2005, 05:17 PM
No just the sacks I got when I created a player on Madden. When I took the Vikings to the super bowl. I had four sacks and Broke Tom Bradys Leg at the end of the third quarter. But Doug Flutie came in and through for 227 and 3 scores to beat the Vikes. Poor me Its like the say art imatates Life. Or is it Life imatates art? Any way thank God for the Bison Because the Vikes are going to blow it again!

But wait till next year when my carrer sack # goes up to 31.5 And the legend grows!

bisonplayer_43
09-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Ohh and yes some would say that I was the ugliest player in the History of NDSU, (Gap toothed kinda chubby,Could never find a comb or a tooth brush and didn't pick my knees up when I ran.) Right behind the fattest corner/ SS / biggest light weight. The first Hitman #8 And the Skinny guy who dressed as Thundar during my stint.

PDXKat
09-14-2005, 05:47 PM
This Bison team is starting to remind me a lot of the New England Patriots. *We still have a long way to go, but hopefully we can build a program similar to theirs.

1. *Most valuable Bison = *QB Walker
* * Most valuable Patriot = QB Brady
Both teams would suffer greatly without the services of their respective onfield leaders.

2. *Coach Bohl and Coach Belicheck
Both staffs have lost O and D coordinators, but the head man stays in place to keep the ship going in the right direction. *The established system generates success.

3. *Play solid and disciplined on defense and special teams

4. *Balance on offense -- rushing and passing

Yup, you guys are just like the New England Patriots! Can't wait to meet you in the Superbowl. ;)

swany_spectrum
09-14-2005, 06:11 PM
That is a very interesting observation, the Bison and the Pats. There are some similarities there, a few mentioned. A bunch of guys busting their tails together as a team, no real high profile pre-madonnas...just guys who go out and get the job done.

Did Northwestern have more talent then us last weekend? Perhaps, but talent doens't win ball games. Not many teams have been playing together as a team than the recent versions of the Bison, a testament to the attitude and philosophy of the coaching staff and players. When you watch interviews they are all quick to give credit to somebody else. Like the Pats we are balanced, team oriented, and have a fantastic coaching staff.

Sidenote: I hear that Bison43 is one heckuva Madden & NCAA player, however, I hear the Swanny brothers used to take him behind the woodshed at the Alamo and the Bison basement back in the day. And he is one ugly s.o.b ;)

bisonplayer_43
09-14-2005, 08:49 PM
I'll bet the farm that no Swanny brother ever did or ever will stand a chance against good o'l Bisonplayer_43. I remember they were always to busy boosing, paying loud party fines and trying to get laid buy bisonets that were 50lbs heavier than the bros put together! Last I herd the Bros started an adult web site what was it again........... Ohh yeah www.ifyoucan'thumpyourbrotherthanwhocanyou.com ;D ;D ;D

bisonplayer_43
09-14-2005, 08:52 PM
By the way the patriots do have one of the most talented teams in the league. The last time I looked there were a whole hekava lot of exellent football players with the Bison this year. Mays could win games just with the size of his arms, And walker wins them with his. Don't think for a minute that there isn't talent on the squad this year!

BraxtonT
09-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Hopefully this is the last thing said about the Delta State game back in 2000. Obviously the game should have been in Fargo, but what never seems to be mentioned is that our Athletic Director at the time MAY NOT HAVE DONE THE NECESSARY WORK to insure the game be played at the FargoDome. That was the same weekend that he had his troubles in the park.

I would like to forgive and forget that happened, but it is a part of the story that seems to be forgotten. This may not have been all the fault of the NCAA and Division II.

bisonplayer_43
09-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Ohh yeah I forgot all about our manboy loving AD. Thaks Buddie. Keep it in your pants thats what I say!

sambini
09-15-2005, 12:10 AM
43 ARE YOU STILL PLAYING ARENA FOOTBALL?

clipperguy
09-15-2005, 12:11 AM
I will vouch for the swanny bros and the heavier women. I got a call one day from a friend wondering if I knew there number because he had left his pants at her place. Then what happened when you picked them up?

Tatanka
09-15-2005, 02:45 AM
More appropriately the Bison got jobbed on hosting the playoff game by a mysterious reseeding that discounted NDSU's road playoff wins over #1 Northwest Missouri State and #4 Nebraska Omaha. *I don't believe they ever fully explained why the Bison didn't earn the right to host that semi-final game.

Any guesses as to who was representing the NCC on the playoff committee at the time? >:(

sambini
09-15-2005, 02:59 AM
The guy in the park?

kchats
09-15-2005, 03:15 AM
Any guesses as to who was representing the NCC on the playoff committee at the time? * >:(

Not a guess, I know it was Roger Thomas of UND.

bisonplayer_43
09-15-2005, 03:16 AM
Well, I Played indoor football with the Omaha Beef this year. *I actually have try outs with some A1 teams this october *Chicago, *Utah, *Arizona, and LA. *trying to see how long I can hold on to my youth! ;D. *And its better than a real job.

Tatanka
09-15-2005, 03:34 AM
Not a guess, I know it was Roger Thomas of UND.

DING!!! TM

Now are things more clear?

kchats
09-15-2005, 04:05 AM
They always were. I bet he was also on the Playoff selection committee when North Alabama got jobbed and had to play at UND. Same situation same result.

bisonplayer_43
09-15-2005, 08:31 AM
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Walker Greatest Bison QB
« Reply #68 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 6:11pm » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will vouch for the swanny bros and the heavier women. I got a call one day from a friend wondering if I knew there number because he had left his pants at her place. Then what happened when you picked them up?

I bet he went over and propsed and then got shut down because of what was in the pants!

redarmy
09-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Nick Mertens will surpass them all!

WYOBISONMAN
09-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Heavy Women....................ugh,..........to early in the morning to think of such nasty things........... :o

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/noughty/bootyshake.gifhttp://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/noughty/icon_hump.gif

Whatever_
09-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Come Wyo they need lovin too!

bisonplayer_43
09-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Yeah I herd they all got a little insulation out there. ;D

Former_Hitman
09-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Come on, #43,

Light weight!!! We all know better....

Ohh and yes some would say that I was the ugliest player in the History of NDSU, (Gap toothed kinda chubby,Could never find a comb or a tooth brush and didn't pick my knees up when I ran.) Right behind the fattest corner/ SS / biggest light weight. The first Hitman #8 And the Skinny guy who dressed as Thundar during my stint. *

Uni_of_No_Diks
09-16-2005, 04:32 AM
OK> >KIDS>. LISTEN>>>

Mertens is the real deal holyfield.. I was talking with a couple NFL scouts with the vikings down at winter park last week.. bragging up NDSU ... etc

and they HONEST TO GOD SAID "that MERTENS kid from EGF couldve played at any D-1 school if he wasn't up in the sticks... and also... that ROAD WARRIOR's KID is a stud"

ok.. peace.. CMON MERTENS!!!!

roadwarrior
09-16-2005, 05:17 AM
Who is roadwarrior's kid ???

WYOBISONMAN
09-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Hell RW....maybe you had more fun in college than you realized!! ;)

Gamehunter
09-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Nick Mertens will surpass them all!

WE all can only hope so!!

BismarckBison
09-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Re: Walker Greatest Bison QB

How about this coaching staff? Are they the greatest Bison coaching staff of all time?

Few Mistakes, Great Play calling, etc...

Gamehunter
09-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Seriously, Gene Taylor needs to be figuring out exactly how to keep this coaching staff in Fargo for a LONG time. They are by far the biggest asset to the program.

coloradobison
09-20-2005, 03:20 PM
They are absolutely a huge part, not only in knowledge, but in national credibility. The national ties are huge for getting in great recruits from all over the country.

Walker sure had a human like performace on Saturday, hopefully he will have a super human game against Montana State, we might need it.

Whatever_
09-20-2005, 05:45 PM
RW sounds like you have summer kids.

Summ er here and summ er there.

swany_spectrum
09-20-2005, 06:25 PM
The coaching staff here is a big part of our recent success. Heck, increase my taxes 1/2 cent to keep 'em here ;)

Looking at what Cal Poly did against Montana State I think are odds are looking good. If we can get on top of them early (and often) I think we can knock 'em out early. They've lost a few tough games and there confidence is probably a bit down.

Here is what I think...we roll 'em up early and we get after 'em often. Bison win and win convincingly.

floridasioux
09-20-2005, 08:28 PM
I am a Sioux fan but I think you have to give the nod to Bentrim although I think Arden Beachy is the best athlete to ever play QB for the Bison. If he does not get hurt the 1st game of his senior season the Bison would have won the national title going away.

Green-N-Gold
09-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Agreed. The hush over the crowd when he went down was eery.

JBB
09-20-2005, 11:31 PM
That was the first game ever in the Fabulous Fargo Dome. The BISON were primed. Brought in as a replacement was Rob Hyland another great QB who would have grown into another BISON great but he went down with a knee too.

floridasioux
09-21-2005, 12:09 AM
didn't hyland come back from the knee injury but could not beat out Kevin Feeney?

sambini
09-21-2005, 12:40 AM
YES.

swany_spectrum
09-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I remember the hush over the crowd. I was a wee little lad in elementary school when Beachy went down. That was sickening. We've been fairly fortunate with regards to injuries since the 2-8 debacle. Hopefully we can stay healthy for the remainder of the year. If so, wow, we are in midseason form now (after only 3 games). Think how we could be playing come mid-season! I'm too excited...I better sit down!

GFBisonFan
09-21-2005, 08:23 PM
I was there as well in the south stands (making all kinds of noise on the metal). I felt sick to my stomach-not just from sobering up either. I agree that the hush over the crowd was eerie-could hear small children crying three sections away.

JBB
09-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Hyland never recovered from his injury and was converted to a wide receiver. He shows up in the carreer stats. The record book shows he is number 4 on TD passes with 24 and number 5 with total offensive yds. It shows he played 4 yrs, 1993-96. I dont think thats true and if it is the last 2 or maybe 3 were at WR. He was a great passer and if he had the full 4 yrs like Feeney we would see his name at the top of the record books in most if not all the passing catagories, IMHO.

We were option crazy in those days and Hyland was much better suited for the type of offense we have now. He was a true passer. He just couldnt run the option after he was hurt.

coloradobison
09-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Hyland never recovered from his injury and was converted to a wide receiver. *He shows up in the carreer stats. *The record book shows he is number 4 on TD passes with 24 and number 5 with total offensive yds. *It shows he played 4 yrs, 1993-96. *I dont think thats true and if it is the last 2 or maybe 3 were at WR. *He was a great passer and if he had the full 4 yrs like Feeney we would see his name at the top of the record books in most if not all the passing catagories, IMHO.

We were option crazy in those days and Hyland was much better suited for the type of offense we have now. *He was a true passer. *He just couldnt run the option after he was hurt. *

I seemed to remember he moved to FB, did he move to WR after that??

Former_Hitman
09-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Hyland never converted to wr, he was feenery's backup until he graduated.

Mike Gidley was qb and then converted wr.

However, he may have token a few snaps, he was qb backup.

Hyland never recovered from his injury and was converted to a wide receiver. *He shows up in the carreer stats. *The record book shows he is number 4 on TD passes with 24 and number 5 with total offensive yds. *It shows he played 4 yrs, 1993-96. *I dont think thats true and if it is the last 2 or maybe 3 were at WR. *He was a great passer and if he had the full 4 yrs like Feeney we would see his name at the top of the record books in most if not all the passing catagories, IMHO.

We were option crazy in those days and Hyland was much better suited for the type of offense we have now. *He was a true passer. *He just couldnt run the option after he was hurt. *

Bison53
09-22-2005, 05:34 AM
Right on the nail!!!
Rocky never gave him a chance after he was hurt.

JBB
09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks Hitman, Gidley was the third name I was looking for and now my dim mind is remembering more detail. I think Gidley and Hyland were both hurt after Beachy.

I was hinting at that Bison53, I know there was a lot of controversy about losing his position to injury. I think that hurt the BISON.

Hyland made his mark in one season or a little more, if he remained healthy or was able to return to QB for whatever reason he may have rewritten the record books for a long time to come. I think Walker may be on par with Hyland and time may very well show him to be one of the best ever.

Rob Hyland was a brief, glorious look at what might have been. Walker is showing us just what might be.

tcbison
09-22-2005, 02:21 PM
JBB, you seem to remember your seasons well. Didn't Rob Hyland lead the Bison to the playoffs in 1994(or some other year). I remember watching a game that was raining and it basically was a mud bowl. It could have been Feeney but I thought it was Hyland.

coloradobison
09-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Pretty sure that was Hyland at the Mud Bowl at Pittsburg State (Ks).

Former_Hitman
09-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Yup, Hyland was the QB

tony
09-22-2005, 05:12 PM
I remember Hyland as a fullback after his injury... for whatever reason, he rarely got to play at that position.

It seems to me that he got a standing ovation when he appeared for the last time.

CC
09-23-2005, 04:19 PM
The Bison have always had an incredible number of talented QBs, many that didn't make an impact because of the intense competition for the starting spot. Every year, there has been a #2, or even #3 QB, that could've likely started for any other NCC team, or started at most any other position for the Bison.

There have been many great QBs at NDSU, but there have been many others with similar potential that never had a chance.

As for the best ever, I would vote as follows:

1 - Bentrim (incredible supporting cast helped)
2 - Simdorn (defense and Tony Satter helped)
3 - Beachy (one of the best pure athletes ever)
4 - Feeney (smart; coach on the field)
5 - Hyland (competition at QB cost his job and higher spot)

Similar to QBs, the years when the "veer was king", there were also an incredible number of talented RBs in the same boat.

As for Walker, he has a ways to go. He is very talented, but time is really the biggest test of greatness.

markerman
09-23-2005, 05:40 PM
As for Walker, he has a ways to go. *He is very talented, but time is really the biggest test of greatness.

I agree. Remember when we were singing the praises of Tony Stauss going into last season? I think Walker has the potential to be the best, but definitely has a ways to go.