PDA

View Full Version : SIU Post Game Thoughts

Kevin
11-17-2018, 10:28 PM
I know the game is probably still going but KVLY isn't working on Midco so I guess it's over for us.

1) Thank you Seniors. A special class that will go down in Bison history.
2) Easton Stick, still the best QB in FCS. Deserves the Payton. No question.
3) What a first quarter. Some missed tackles led to big plays. Need to clean that up in the playoffs but otherwise we're playing solid on all fronts.
4) I like what I see from Cofield and Clark. It's going to be a hard hit losing Dunn and Anderson but we're loaded.
5) I like this trend of actually involving the TE's. I hope it continues into the playoffs.
6) Shep is a stud. I think we're going to lean heavily on him on the way to Frisco.
7) Great game by Grimsley. He's overshadowed a bit because of how epic the backfield was with Dudzik/Heagle but he's one of the best in program history.
8) I want SDSU in Frisco. Hopefully the committee gives us a chance for that to happen.

SoCalBison
11-17-2018, 10:45 PM
Congrats to the team and seniors for a great, undefeated regular season. Hitting on all cylinders for the playoffs. Going to be a tremendous post-season.

Christopher Moen
11-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Bison came up 37 yards of my predicted 700 yards of offense, but I’m not disappointed. Imagine if they threw the ball more than twice in the second half.

Also, nice to see #86 on the field!

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

Honeybooboo
11-17-2018, 10:52 PM
Easton Stick....45-3 as a starter

think about that, if it all goes well can finish 49-3 in his career, that's amazing

MNLonghorn10
11-17-2018, 11:00 PM
yea this team aint losing.

Honeybooboo
11-17-2018, 11:04 PM

our bad games are most teams Good games, We are truly spoiled

Next year is going to be interesting with the 24 seniors graduating, lots of raw talent

GOBISON123
11-17-2018, 11:05 PM
Great win, amazing senior class. That boy Tuzka is a beast. Him and Greg Menard put fear in any QBs heart. Going to miss Darius Shepard. That catch against UNI with 40s remaining in the game with one hand going up against Deiondre Hall and Makinton Dorleant will always be in my mind forever. So many great moments. Thanks to all the seniors.

westnodak93bison
11-17-2018, 11:10 PM
Wow, just wow. 11-0. Just fing dismantled SIU. Could have scored 100 on em.

Real season starts after Thanksgiving. Go Bison!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GreenfieldBison
11-17-2018, 11:49 PM

I sure can’t see it but unless they lose to Injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeybooboo
11-18-2018, 12:04 AM
I sure can’t see it but unless they lose to Injury.

we are the healthiest we have ever been going into Playoffs I believe which is amazing, now 2 weeks off!! The train is rolling at full speed

WeAreThePride
11-18-2018, 12:35 AM
11-0 baby! Can’t wait for tomorrow morning to see which sacrificial lamb will be sent here first.

EC8CH
11-18-2018, 12:38 AM
That was a lot of 1st quarter touchdowns.

CalBison97
11-18-2018, 12:41 AM
11-0 baby! Can’t wait for tomorrow morning to see which sacrificial lamb will be sent here first.

It won’t be UND! Lol! Hard

MAKBison
11-18-2018, 12:55 AM
What's up with lance? Did he even play

Bison20
11-18-2018, 12:56 AM
Really good timing for a bye week to get these guys some fresh legs for the playoff run. With that bye so early this year it was important to get a week off. This team looks unstoppable. Offense is clicking on all cylinders. Mess calling great games.

Bison20
11-18-2018, 12:56 AM
What's up with lance? Did he even play

Tweaked a hammy in practice. Held out for precautions.

MAKBison
11-18-2018, 12:58 AM
Tweaked a hammy in practice. Held out for precautions.
Oh, ok....thanks

Vet70
11-18-2018, 03:15 AM
I knew we were going to roll them when I saw they were wearing the all-white beat down unis.

Mr Meaty
11-18-2018, 03:28 AM
We are good!!!

scottietohottie
11-18-2018, 03:40 AM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/recap.asp?lg=CFB&g=201811170309&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

I really like this headline.

Best player in the FCS.

Mr Meaty
11-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Is it just me or are we the only team to get called for blocking below the waist. Yesterday’s call look like our guy was going to the waist area and the defender put his hands on his head and push down which then made the block turn out low.

gizmo
11-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Is it just me or are we the only team to get called for blocking below the waist. Yesterday’s call look like our guy was going to the waist area and the defender put his hands on his head and push down which then made the block turn out low.

Yeah, it's usually going to be a controversial call. The angle the ref sees it from makes a lot of difference. Especially after seeing it with slo-mo replay.

EC8CH
11-18-2018, 12:38 PM

The frustrating ones are when the defender clearly sees the block coming from an angle in front of them and he turns his body at the last second when contact is made and it gets called.

Doesn't seem like that's the intent of the rule.

IndyBison
11-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Block below the waist is a safety foul. The rule is slowly changing to remove the number of times it's legal. I expect it will eventually be outlawed or limited to immediate blocks at the snap like in HS. Someone turning at the last second doesn't make it a foul. It's the approach angle but you better make it from the front. The other one that most people don't realize is it can't be back toward the original position of the ball even if from the front. The new one this year is it has to be within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

If teams cut a lot they are much more likely to commit one foul per game. I've noticed many teams are cutting less because of the risk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WFBisonFan
11-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Anybody else notice after Bruuuuuuce's 2nd TD run, #12 (for SIU) and another D-back were smiling and laughing just after he scored? WTF? This may be exactly why they are horrendous on D.

StL Bison Fan
11-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Anybody else notice after Bruuuuuuce's 2nd TD run, #12 (for SIU) and another D-back were smiling and laughing just after he scored? WTF? This may be exactly why they are horrendous on D.

They gave up. You could see it on their faces when they lined up.

EC8CH
11-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Block below the waist is a safety foul. The rule is slowly changing to remove the number of times it's legal. I expect it will eventually be outlawed or limited to immediate blocks at the snap like in HS. Someone turning at the last second doesn't make it a foul. It's the approach angle but you better make it from the front. The other one that most people don't realize is it can't be back toward the original position of the ball even if from the front. The new one this year is it has to be within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

If teams cut a lot they are much more likely to commit one foul per game. I've noticed many teams are cutting less because of the risk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree with all of this, but defenders turning their backs to the block has drawn flags this year. You can hear Klieman yelling this over the officials mic on one of them.

GreenfieldBison
11-18-2018, 02:44 PM
They gave up. You could see it on their faces when they lined up.

I kind of get it given their season but it is really too bad. I like their coach. Hopefully Jerry can help him get the ship (not boat!) going in the right direction.

CaBisonFan
11-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Worst defensive backfield play I think I've ever seen. With all of their injuries, it's understandable though.

bri-dog
11-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Had a good time talking with Chris Hedberg (Randy's son) at the watch party yesterday. Seems like a good guy.

wagsabison
11-18-2018, 06:45 PM
our bad games are most teams Good games, We are truly spoiled

Next year is going to be interesting with the 24 seniors graduating, lots of raw talent

Next year will have its ups and downs. Going to be a fun year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HerdBot
11-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Next year will have its ups and downs. Going to be a fun year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This team is loaded with young talent and with all the blowouts, players are getting reps.

Our DEs next year. Tuszka and Waege. Experience with Logan McCormick and Tanner Sundt. Lots of young talent

Our DTs Cole Karcz and senior Jack Darnell. Guys like Quin Alo and Layne Tucker have a few years in the system. Once again toms of young talent

Linebackers. Lose Marlette and Levi Jordheim. Jabril is the star returner. Jaxon Browne returns. Lots of able bodies with several years in the system like Jaxon Hankey, Aaron Mercadel, Begley, and Beau Pauley

Corners. Bridges and Hayes plus Dom Davis

Safeties - Hendricks and Tutsie

Lots of young talent

Offensive Line. Tackles Radunz and Zack Johnson plus Cordl Volson. Guards and Center, many experienced able bodies

TEs. Loaded. Ellefson, Babich, Gindorf

RBs. Ty Brooks, Seth Wilson, Saybein Clark, Cofield, and Dimitri Williams (who can also play receiver)

WR - Christian Watson and Sproles. Lots of question mark's but good young talent or experienced system players

FB- Brock Robbins, Mahlstrom

QB... biggest? mark, may need to simplify like Eastons freshman year

Dline will be talented but not as deep. But this team will have star power and talent

Rixen
11-19-2018, 06:53 PM
Agree with much of what Herdbot said but I don't want to rest hopes on "lots of young talent" which usually just means who the hell knows.

DE: Spencer and Waege are the only "sure things" Could be looking at only 2 legit starting calber DEs next year.

QB: Scary transition. Exciting though!

WR: No veteran leader left in the clubhouse. Young kids need to step up with their new QB.

OL: Losing the entire interior is hard to replace, if nothing else from a chemistry stand point.

Those are the 4 biggest concerns I have. Easy to say across the board we don't know about our depth in most positions but that is the case most years. If I had guess, our defense will sort itself out as it usually seems to. QB and WR will be the big questions that persist.

Mr Meaty
11-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Some assistant coaches have been let go already.

KNOW IT ALL
11-19-2018, 07:42 PM
Some assistant coaches have been let go already.

It all falls in line if your QB pans out.

TAILG8R
11-19-2018, 09:12 PM
Agree with much of what Herdbot said but I don't want to rest hopes on "lots of young talent" which usually just means who the hell knows.

DE: Spencer and Waege are the only "sure things" Could be looking at only 2 legit starting calber DEs next year.

QB: Scary transition. Exciting though!

WR: No veteran leader left in the clubhouse. Young kids need to step up with their new QB.

OL: Losing the entire interior is hard to replace, if nothing else from a chemistry stand point.

Those are the 4 biggest concerns I have. Easy to say across the board we don't know about our depth in most positions but that is the case most years. If I had guess, our defense will sort itself out as it usually seems to. QB and WR will be the big questions that persist.

I know it has been a very small sample size but I find myself starting to notice Dallas out on the field and seems to be putting together a nice little ending to the season. The group is still very much an unknown heading into next year but it just seems like he has been putting himself in a position to be successful lately.

17>1
11-19-2018, 09:25 PM
I know it has been a very small sample size but I find myself starting to notice Dallas out on the field and seems to be putting together a nice little ending to the season. The group is still very much an unknown heading into next year but it just seems like he has been putting himself in a position to be successful lately.

This is referring to next season. Freeman is a senior. But, I do agree that he has stepped up and made some big catches lately.

TAILG8R
11-19-2018, 09:28 PM
This is referring to next season. Freeman is a senior. But, I do agree that he has stepped up and made some big catches lately.

Doh, how did I get that all mixed up in my head? I have no excuse because I can't even figure it out thinking back to 15 minutes ago. LOL Too much Bisonville for me today.

Bison 4 Life
11-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Ben Ellefson, Brock Robbins, Ty Brooks, Zack Johnson, James Hendricks. Doesn't always have to be a QB. Plenty of seniors to take the mantle next year.

KNOW IT ALL
11-19-2018, 09:46 PM
Ben Ellefson, Brock Robbins, Ty Brooks, Zack Johnson, James Hendricks. Doesn't always have to be a QB. Plenty of seniors to take the mantle next year.

You only go as far as your QB is capable of taking you. Doesnt have to be Stick or a Wentz but he better be pretty good if your seeking a Natty! That goes for this year as well, hope Stick stays healthy.

Bison 4 Life
11-19-2018, 09:50 PM
You only go as far as your QB is capable of taking you. Doesnt have to be Stick or a Wentz but he better be pretty good if your seeking a Natty! That goes for this year as well, hope Stick stays healthy.

Yeah, The last couple RFr did OK, if memory serves.

BisonNeil
11-19-2018, 10:23 PM
Yeah, The last couple RFr did OK, if memory serves.

Soooooo, you think Hotchkiss or Sanders can take the Bison to the promised land as RFr? I’m not so confident. Remember, Trey is a TFr, first year in the system. A RFr is in their second and neither of these two QBs were as highly recruited as Stick.

Bison 4 Life
11-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Soooooo, you think Hotchkiss or Sanders can take the Bison to the promised land as RFr? I’m not so confident. Remember, Trey is a TFr, first year in the system. A RFr is in their second and neither of these two QBs were as highly recruited as Stick.

Unless I'm missing a part of the conversation, we're talking about next year, where Trey Lance, who was as highly recruited as Easton Stick, will be a RFr. If he comes out of camp the starter, it's because the coaches think he can do the job.

I'm fine with that.

BisonNeil
11-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Unless I'm missing a part of the conversation, we're talking about next year, where Trey Lance, who was as highly recruited as Easton Stick, will be a RFr. If he comes out of camp the starter, it's because the coaches think he can do the job.

I'm fine with that.

My bad. Thought it was about A good QB needed to win a natty, as in Stick. S many of the others such as Dinuddi for JMU. I misinterpreted the discussion. Sorry.

Bison 4 Life
11-19-2018, 10:42 PM
My bad. Thought it was about A good QB needed to win a natty, as in Stick. S many of the others such as Dinuddi for JMU. I misinterpreted the discussion. Sorry.

I casually said we might be a little F'd if Stick goes down. Someone talked me down but that wouldn't be ideal. :D

GreenfieldBison
11-19-2018, 11:00 PM
I casually said we might be a little F'd if Stick goes down. Someone talked me down but that wouldn't be ideal. :D

I’m probably as big an Easton Stick fan as his mom. If he goes down I will be enormously disappointed for his next level prospects.

2018 Bison though? Next man up. Adapt and adjust. Just go win baby (like Easton did in 2015)

EC8CH
11-19-2018, 11:12 PM
I’m probably as big an Easton Stick fan as his mom. If he goes down I will be enormously disappointed for his next level prospects.

2018 Bison though? Next man up. Adapt and adjust. Just go win baby (like Easton did in 2015)

Trey Lance looked the part of starting QB when he stepped on campus, is a great student in the classroom, and has impressed with the limited snaps he's gotten in two games. Anything can happen, but I'm as comfortable as is possible with him as a Redshirt Freshman taking over next year.

Vet70
11-19-2018, 11:18 PM
Trey Lance looked the part of starting QB when he stepped on campus, is a great student in the classroom, and has impressed with the limited snaps he's gotten in two games. Anything can happen, but I'm as comfortable as is possible with him as a Redshirt Freshman taking over next year.

Yes, yes and yes. I would be shocked if he wasn't the starter next year.

heffray
11-20-2018, 01:29 PM

Yes, yes and yes. I would be shocked if he wasn't the starter next year.

I’m probably as big an Easton Stick fan as his mom. If he goes down I will be enormously disappointed for his next level prospects...

I hate talking about this, but...

IF Stick goes down in the playoffs... who would you RATHER see, and who do you THINK we'd see: Lance or Hotchkiss?

I THINK Hotchkiss is the guy since he has been getting most of the second team reps in the 4th quarter blow-outs... but I'm not sure who I'd RATHER see... probably Hotchkiss, too, since he appears to be more polished under center and a couple of his throws lately look like they have good zip and accuracy?

iuno...

Bison 4 Life
11-20-2018, 01:31 PM

IF Stick goes down in the playoffs... who would you RATHER see, and who do you THINK we'd see: Lance or Hotchkiss?

I THINK Hotchkiss is the guy since he has been getting most of the second team reps in the 4th quarter blow-outs... but I'm not sure who I'd RATHER see... probably Hotchkiss, too, since he appears to be more polished under center and a couple of his throws lately look like they have good zip and accuracy?

iuno...

Hotchkiss is "good enough" to get us through the rest of the playoffs.

heffray
11-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Hotchkiss is "good enough" to get us through the rest of the playoffs.

Yeah, I agree... and I also think the Hotchkiss we've seen in the 4th quarter isn't the Hotchkiss we would see if he had to take over a game.

semobison
11-20-2018, 01:44 PM

iuno...

Since we're speculating, Stick goes down early in the Semifinal game. We could bring in Trey and not burn his redshirt since he has only played two games thus far.
If something crazy like this happened we could start the 2019 season with a redshirt freshman, national champion winning QB.
Highly doubtful but possible?

IzzyFlexion
11-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Since we're speculating, Stick goes down early in the Semifinal game. We could bring in Trey and not burn his redshirt since he has only played two games thus far.
If something crazy like this happened we could start the 2019 season with a redshirt freshman, national champion winning QB.

Indeed, it could happen. I would think that that is the reason that 2 of the 4 allowed games were kept in the back pocket.

17>1
11-20-2018, 04:15 PM
I mentioned this in another post of mine recently, but I'm as guilty as everyone else in that maybe I don't give our backup QB's enough credit. We rave about our depth on this team, and we are loaded, right? Naturally, you're going to see a drop off from a starter to the back up. But they can come in and do a good enough job, do their job, and help the team win some ball games. We see it often, next man up. Why would we begin to think that the back up QB's, that have prepared all week and all year as if they're going to start (it's how the team practices and prepares that I know this is true), would not be able to come in and do a solid enough job to lead this team to some wins? Sure, we would have to see the offense maybe scaled back a bit, because RFr and there may not be as many QB run plays called (unless Trey was playing maybe). But I really think if any of these 3 young men knew they were going to be starting the next week that they would be ready to go and could lead us to a W. If people think they need to come in and be the next Easton Stick, that's not realistic and not fair to those players. Those are huge shoes to fill, let them be themselves and allow them to create their own identity and legacy during their time at NDSU.

Professor Chaos
11-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Then by January of 2023 he'd be a 5 time national title winning QB??? /Purple....maybe

EC8CH
11-20-2018, 06:13 PM
Indeed, it could happen. I would think that that is the reason that 2 of the 4 allowed games were kept in the back pocket.

Exactly. Trey Lance is the backup.

heffray
11-20-2018, 11:33 PM
Exactly. Trey Lance is the backup.

Are we sure about this? I honestly think they'd go with Hotchkiss. He's had way more reps in game.

EC8CH
11-20-2018, 11:34 PM
Are we sure about this? I honestly think they'd go with Hotchkiss.

Let hope neither of us get to say, "I told you so" ;)

Vet70
11-20-2018, 11:37 PM
let hope neither of us get to say, "i told you so" ;)

^^^^^^^^this for sure.

heffray
11-21-2018, 02:26 AM
Let hope neither of us get to say, "I told you so" ;)

I love agreeing with people on here. My new favorite pastime.