PDA

View Full Version : SIU Pregame Thread

Professor Chaos
11-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Last regular season game of the year. Senior day. Cold tailgate. It's getting to be that time of year!

Some interesting stuff from Klieman's presser today. Jalen Allison is back as a starting CB on the depth chart and Klieman says he should play. He also says they plan to preserve Seth Wilson's redshirt so he's got 3 games left (with as many as 5 to go). I wonder if that means we see Saybein Clark a decent amount in this game since he's still got 2 games to burn?

I don't anyone that asked him but I would've been curious to hear Klieman's take on whether he planned to play more true freshman this game as a way to get them some experience and give the key contributors a bit of a rest since they've pretty much locked everything up. Of course he'd probably give SIU some lip service about it being a tough game where they can't take anything for granted but I bet we do see a lot of true freshman out there Saturday.

Let's give these seniors a big ovation on Saturday. A good chuck of them were committed when Bohl left and stuck with the program when they had no obligation to do so. And with a monster senior class it'll be good to get each of them their moment during the pregame intro.

Bison 4 Life
11-13-2018, 12:36 AM
Hope everybody has their god damn deer by now.

Paraphrasing JJ of course.

tjbison
11-13-2018, 01:15 AM
I did not realize till tonight listening to the coaches show that the last time SIU played in the dome was 2014

Bison 4 Life
11-13-2018, 01:17 AM
I did not realize that the last time SIU played in the dome was 2014

I remember the last time in Carbondale.

Mr Meaty
11-13-2018, 01:36 AM
I remember the last time in Carbondale.

I was at that one.

BisonLaw
11-13-2018, 02:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ge_giC8JEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ge_giC8JEw

89MTBISON
11-13-2018, 04:05 AM
Can someone simply paste the Mo. State game day thread instead of starting a new one for SIU. This game will be similar except for all the fireworks, and of course Thunderstruck.

Christopher Moen
11-13-2018, 04:21 AM
Can someone simply paste the Mo. State game day thread instead of starting a new one for SIU. This game will be similar except for all the fireworks, and of course Thunderstruck.

I agree. Both teams are somewhat clones of each other. SIU has a better offense, but their defense is not worthy of being considered MVFC-level. I truly believe the Bison nonstarters could put up at least 40 points on this team.

gumby013
11-13-2018, 01:09 PM
Line opens at -31

O/U of 59.5

Hypothetical score of ~ 45-14

cbline
11-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Line opens at -31

O/U of 59.5

Hypothetical score of ~ 45-14

After listening to Izzo and Kolpack, I'd take the Bison on these numbers. They reported that SIU is at #104 in total defense, as I recall.

OatmealWicket92
11-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Hope everybody has their god damn deer by now.

Paraphrasing JJ of course.

Don't have my deer yet, but I ain't missing senior day.

El_Chapo
11-13-2018, 05:24 PM
Chubs should be full by 2nd quarter.

Been to seriously 4 games this year, left for chubs in 3 of them. Sold the rest.

Just ridiculous.

1st round playoff game vs freakin Maine or Colgate will be the same.

Professor Chaos
11-13-2018, 05:46 PM
After listening to Izzo and Kolpack, I'd take the Bison on these numbers. They reported that SIU is at #104 in total defense, as I recall.
And 109th in scoring defense. Here's the statistical comparison between the two teams:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4843/44048213330_e2b20c0d54_z.jpg

It's a tad bit lopsided.

17>1
11-13-2018, 06:07 PM
Pretty special senior class this year, as they were the ones that even though there was a head coaching change, they stayed true to their commitment to NDSU and the Bison football program. Seems like yesterday we saw the thread "Easton Stick-We got him!" Pretty awesome that after the likes of Walker, Jensen & Wentz during the D1 era that we would have yet another absolutely amazing young man at QB that has been a tremendous leader and representation of this team. Enjoy this Saturday. And like someone else pointed out, be loud and proud as these seniors are recognized.

Go Bison!

BisonNeil
11-13-2018, 06:12 PM
And 109th in scoring defense. Here's the statistical comparison between the two teams:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4843/44048213330_e2b20c0d54_z.jpg

It's a tad bit lopsided.

So, you’re saying there’s a chance :D

89MTBISON
11-13-2018, 06:16 PM
They allow 465 yds per game!? This will be over early.

Bison 4 Life
11-13-2018, 06:32 PM
They allow 465 yds per game!? This will be over early.

Jim Ross is already warming up.

gumby013
11-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Jim Ross is already warming up.

Their starting QB is also currently in a boot.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2018/11/12/football-head-coach-nick-hills-weekly-press-conference.aspx?path=football

runtheoption
11-13-2018, 07:14 PM
Classic trap game. Gotta bring it every play. Any given Saturday. The other guys give scholarships, too. I hope the players aren't as overconfident as the fans. Don't give SIU any bulletin board material. They have nothing to lose. It's their Super Bowl.

Did I cover all the bullshit sayings? NDSU to cover -31.

thebootfitter
11-13-2018, 07:23 PM
Classic trap game. Gotta bring it every play. Any given Saturday. The other guys give scholarships, too. I hope the players aren't as overconfident as the fans. Don't give SIU any bulletin board material. They have nothing to lose. It's their Super Bowl.

It's still a Valley game!

BTW -- I'll be there with my boy again for this one. Where do you tailgate now that you've sold the Knoephla Express?

Bison 4 Life
11-13-2018, 07:26 PM

You forgot how the Bison are mandated to lose one game a season at least.

runtheoption
11-13-2018, 07:32 PM
It's still a Valley game!

BTW -- I'll be there with my boy again for this one. Where do you tailgate now that you've sold the Knoephla Express?

Same spot, same guys, just no bus. But, very little tailgating for me this Saturday as my kids have 4 basketball games that morning, and I probably won't get there until around 1pm.

Professor Chaos
11-13-2018, 07:35 PM
Their starting QB is also currently in a boot.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2018/11/12/football-head-coach-nick-hills-weekly-press-conference.aspx?path=football
Wow, a 5'8" 193 lb freshman is their heir apparent at QB??? Things might be getting worse in Saluki-ville before they get better...

BattleBorn
11-13-2018, 08:16 PM

Speaking of fireworks, I nearly shit myself when they fired that cannon last week at 2nd half kickoff. I was standing right near it.

Elvis was a Bison
11-14-2018, 04:34 PM
On a positive note, SIU appears to have good team speed and may be the fastest team we will have played all year. It will be great opportunity for our twos and threes to prepare for the "southern speed" that we will see later in the playoffs.

DakotaOkie
11-14-2018, 05:20 PM
On a positive note, SIU appears to have good team speed and may be the fastest team we will have played all year. It will be great opportunity for our twos and threes to prepare for the "southern speed" that we will see later in the playoffs.

By most measures, Carbondale is in the south (or at least you can see it from there). The address just happens to be in Illinois.

Bison 4 Life
11-14-2018, 05:24 PM
By most measures, Carbondale is in the south (or at least you can see it from there). The address just happens to be in Illinois.

It's as far south as Richmond, VA.

IzzyFlexion
11-14-2018, 09:34 PM
It's as far south as Richmond, VA.

And.....314 miles further south than the northern border of Nevada.

IzzyFlexion
11-14-2018, 09:51 PM
TIL.....

The enrollment numbers at SIU Carbondale have dropped drastically over the past 17 years.

In 1991, there were 24,869 students.

In 2018, the number reported was 12,817.

CoachFSCB
11-15-2018, 04:23 AM
1991 to 2018 seems more like 27 years instead of 17 to me, but I am assuming you just made a typo. Either that, or this new math is WAY beyond my comprehension. Having only roughly half of the enrollment of 1991 is a pretty interesting stat, though...

gumby013
11-16-2018, 11:23 AM
It's the last flight stalking of the regular season!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWQ145/history/20181116/1800Z/KMWA/KFAR

MNLonghorn10
11-16-2018, 11:49 AM
TIL.....

The enrollment numbers at SIU Carbondale have dropped drastically over the past 17 years.

In 1991, there were 24,869 students.

In 2018, the number reported was 12,817.
coincidentally you moved to the state of Illinois in 1991 too

runtheoption
11-16-2018, 01:48 PM
coincidentally you moved to the state of Illinois in 1991 too

No it's not.

Professor Chaos
11-16-2018, 01:55 PM
1991 to 2018 seems more like 27 years instead of 17 to me, but I am assuming you just made a typo. Either that, or this new math is WAY beyond my comprehension. Having only roughly half of the enrollment of 1991 is a pretty interesting stat, though...
Once the number gets above 18 Izzy's addition and subtraction skills become very sketchy. :biggrin:

GreenfieldBison
11-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Once the number gets above 18 Izzy's addition and subtraction skills become very sketchy. :biggrin:

Is that due to a couple of missing fingers or toes? If so I can help.

Keep in mind that when counting one is not limited to the use of only leaf nodes but rather one may also employ branches and trunk. Therefore, as a male with all appendages still intact you should be able to get all the way to 27!

This helpful tip has been dispatched free of charge as an extension of Give To The Max Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Burgundy
11-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Senior day. Anyone actually want to talk football?

These guys put up 38 points...going into the 4th quarter on SDSU. That is alarming. Put them inside, on turf, these guys will move the ball. Now, will they ever get the ball from us? Could this be one of those games where we don't even pass? Just run it up their backside? THey aren't good on defense, but they have skill talent on defense.

I think we end up with a couple of big interceptions and we have a lot of guys carry the ball. Hopefully the O line has a field day.

These are a special group of seniors. They recommitted to a staff under a lot of speculation. Congrats to the young men who have stuck it out. Impressive bunch.

EC8CH
11-16-2018, 03:44 PM

These guys put up 38 points...going into the 4th quarter on SDSU. That is alarming. Put them inside, on turf, these guys will move the ball. Now, will they ever get the ball from us? Could this be one of those games where we don't even pass? Just run it up their backside? THey aren't good on defense, but they have skill talent on defense.

I think we end up with a couple of big interceptions and we have a lot of guys carry the ball. Hopefully the O line has a field day.

These are a special group of seniors. They recommitted to a staff under a lot of speculation. Congrats to the young men who have stuck it out. Impressive bunch.

Most impressive graduating class since 2013?

17>1
11-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Agreed. Talk about a focused bunch. I've heard Coach K say on a couple of occasions that these guys knew they had the opportunity to do something special this year. Win the Valley, win a championship, go undefeated. These guys are leaving a legacy, and they are all challenging each other every day to hold each other to the expectations they've set for themselves.

VirginiaBison
11-16-2018, 04:51 PM
SIU game may not be the walk over we all anticipate ---

The SIU QB last week was senior Matt DeSomer who was named MVFC offensive player of the week.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2018/10/28/football-quarterback-matt-desomer-named-mvfc-offensive-player-of-the-week.aspx

FTA: "Making his fourth career start, DeSomer rallied SIU with four-unanswered touchdowns in a 49-35 win over Missouri State. He completed 19-of-24 passes for a career-high 206 yards, plus three touchdowns and no interceptions. He also ran the ball 14 times for 92 yards."

DeSomer is 1-5 as a starting QB with last week's win his first. He needs 42 yards to become the second quarterback in school history to rush for 1,000 yards in his career. Not bad for a 6 game career.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2018/11/13/football-notes-links-at-north-dakota-state.aspx?path=football

Bio: https://siusalukis.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3415

17>1
11-16-2018, 05:01 PM
SIU game may not be the walk over we all anticipate ---

The SIU QB last week was senior Matt DeSomer who was named MVFC offensive player of the week.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2018/10/28/football-quarterback-matt-desomer-named-mvfc-offensive-player-of-the-week.aspx

FTA: "Making his fourth career start, DeSomer rallied SIU with four-unanswered touchdowns in a 49-35 win over Missouri State. He completed 19-of-24 passes for a career-high 206 yards, plus three touchdowns and no interceptions. He also ran the ball 14 times for 92 yards."

DeSomer is 1-5 as a starting QB with last week's win his first. He needs 42 yards to become the second quarterback in school history to rush for 1,000 yards in his career. Not bad for a 6 game career.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2018/11/13/football-notes-links-at-north-dakota-state.aspx?path=football

Bio: https://siusalukis.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3415

I don't think anyone is over looking their offense and the ability they have to score some points. But their defense is pretty bad, and the Bison should be able to hold onto the ball for a very long time. Best way to shut down an opposing offense is to keep them on the sidelines. I think we jump out to an early lead, and then our D line pins their ears back and gets after the QB knowing they have to pass and play catch up.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-16-2018, 05:21 PM
So, a lot of tickets left?

BisonNeil
11-16-2018, 05:27 PM
I don't think anyone is over looking their offense and the ability they have to score some points. But their defense is pretty bad, and the Bison should be able to hold onto the ball for a very long time. Best way to shut down an opposing offense is to keep them on the sidelines. I think we jump out to an early lead, and then our D line pins their ears back and gets after the QB knowing they have to pass and play catch up.

While all of this is true I will be surprised if SIU doesn’t do what YSU, ISUr, and Misery State all tried to do and that is to stack the box with lots of bodies to force the Bison to beat them with the pass. This will likely lead to big plays and huge chunks of yardage and very little time taken off the clock leaving SIU to stay in the game in the first half or more with their offense. So I guess I agree with VB, this game could be closer than most think. Kolpack expects a high scoring game.

X-Factor
11-16-2018, 07:45 PM
I don’t know that I would say sdsu defense is any sort of a model of consistency, while they typically trips over their own dick when it comes to defending any offense that requires some coaching (SIU almost always gives them trouble). They also gave up over 50 to Indiana State...

SIU can score, I just doubt it will be with consistency, while the Bison should house most possessions

bruinbison
11-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Things I’ll be watching today include:

- Who is the Saluki QB? Is the better runner injured? (#7 DeSomer)
If so, does the better one passer play? (#4 Straub)
Or do both play in a valiant effort against the Bison?

- Choices, Choices!
Jackrabbits put up 315 yards rushing last weekend against SIU, 341 yards passing.
I loved how NDSU attacked whatever Missouri State was doing on D last weekend and exploited it. SDSU went with big passing plays and ran impressively against SIU. So shall the Bison! Something to watch anyways......

- Both starting Saluki CB’s and a Safety have been lost for the season to injury, helping explain their troubles defending the pass.

- Most points NDSU has given up this season at the FargoDome is 17 (to SDSU).
Last time the Bison played a bad defense was well, last weekend, and got 48 points, so yeah, I’ll be looking for a 48-17 score.

- SIU has some good players to watch, including former Mutant Ninja Turtle: :)
WR Raphael Leonard (6’ 2” SR) - 55 receptions - 14.2 ypc - 6 TD’s

Also:
RB D.J. Davis - 5’ 8” 168 JR - 1067 yards rushing - 6.3 ypc - 6 TD’s
DE Anthony Knighton - 6’ 2” 253 Soph - 8.5 sacks

- And finally, will QB Holden Hotchkiss get to play with the 1st team OLine?
Don’t think it happened last weekend, even though the Bison had a 34-0 halftime lead.

Alsen
11-17-2018, 02:11 PM
We might just see Noah Sanders for a few snaps.

MNLonghorn10
11-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Where the hell is the Gameday thread starter???