PDA

View Full Version : USD Pregame Thread

gumby013
10-22-2018, 11:06 PM
Line is -22.5

O/U 56

Theoretical score: 39-17

USD has not been playing well the last couple weeks.

Bison 4 Life
10-22-2018, 11:10 PM
Line is -22.5

O/U 56

Theoretical score: 39-17

USD has not been playing well the last couple weeks.

If you ask some here, neither has NDSU.

Christopher Moen
10-23-2018, 12:06 AM
If you ask some here, neither has NDSU.

https://media.giphy.com/media/jHgwAnwDtL4sM/giphy.gif

G_Funky
10-23-2018, 02:49 PM
Tempo will be a monster factor this week. Hopefully the defensive miscues/communication issues from earlier in the conference season have been resolved.

Im most interested/excited to watch our ball hawking secondary against a team that airs it out consistently and has a slew of capable receivers.

I also expect our run game to make hay this weekend as USD's run D is not good...giving up close to 200 yards/game.

TAILG8R
10-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Tempo will be a monster factor this week. Hopefully the defensive miscues/communication issues from earlier in the conference season have been resolved.

Im most interested/excited to watch our ball hawking secondary against a team that airs it out consistently and has a slew of capable receivers.

I also expect our run game to make hay this weekend as USD's run D is not good...giving up close to 200 yards/game.

I predict more bashing of Easton after this game since we will only have to throw it maybe 10-12 times. Their run D is not good.

17>1
10-23-2018, 04:20 PM
I predict more bashing of Easton after this game since we will only have to throw it maybe 10-12 times. Their run D is not good.

Which is unfortunate. He's in the midst of his senior season, his last as a Bison, and is chasing the all time FCS wins record. And people can't stop talking about his chances at the next level. I'm going to enjoy watching this tremendous leader, a young man with great character, and one of the best to ever wear the Bison uniform...do everything he can to lead us to another national championship.

THEsocalledfan
10-23-2018, 04:22 PM

I've very curious about this. To me, they are going to have to do a ton of run blitzing which is very, very dangerous when you have Shep.......

Rixen
10-23-2018, 05:05 PM
Quick notes:

- Our schedule difficulty has been similar to this point. They have three notable games against Kansas St., Weber St. and UNI. Ours are Delaware (ranked now), SDSU, and UNI. Difference is we are 7-0 and they are 3-4 with similar SoS.

- We have a +25 point differential per game and they have a -2.4

- They avg 2.8 yards per rush and give up 4.2. Compared to our 5.9 and 2.9 respectively.

- Well yeah, but they are a passing team! They average roughly 300 yards passing per game, however our passing game is less frequent but more deadly. We average significantly more yards per attempt (+2 yards) and catch (+4 yards). For a team that is seemingly subpar against the run this sets up for some big receptions when they sell out against the run.

- Time of possession we have them beat by nearly 5 minutes a game. Kind of a result of the two types of offense but still noteworthy. Wearing them down in the second half seems a distinct possibility.

- We are +11 in Turnover margin and they are a very respectable +6. Only thing that sticks out is that they have caused a crazy amount of fumbles (16) and recovered 9. Ball security should be a major focus.

- They are getting 2 sacks a game but giving up 3. NDSU is getting 3 but only giving up 1. Get us a lead and hopefully we can let the DL pin their ears back.

- Their QB (Simmons) seems to spread the ball around pretty well. Falck and Allen are double the receptions of any others but a lot of people with double digit catches. For being a high volume passing team his completion % is pretty blah at 59%

- 2 headed running attack seems pretty average.

Run the ball down their throats to open up the down field passing. It looks like they will be one sided and with our pass rush and good secondary I think we can make it a difficult day for Simmons.

tony
10-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Jump on them early. Then continue jumping on them. Repeat.

That said, I wouldn't count on their run defense being that terrible. They held UNI to under 100 yards rushing and some people are hyping UNI as a title contender. Weber State only ran for 110.

Bring the whole playbook.

Comfortably Numb Bison
10-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Just bought tickets! First away game of year for me (+5)... Travel weather should be better than last USD trip

G_Funky
10-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Jump on them early. Then continue jumping on them. Repeat.

That said, I wouldn't count on their run defense being that terrible. They held UNI to under 100 yards rushing and some people are hyping UNI as a title contender. Weber State only ran for 110.

Bring the whole playbook.

*For one half...preferably the 1st.

G_Funky
10-23-2018, 06:25 PM
Which is unfortunate. He's in the midst of his senior season, his last as a Bison, and is chasing the all time FCS wins record. And people can't stop talking about his chances at the next level. I'm going to enjoy watching this tremendous leader, a young man with great character, and one of the best to ever wear the Bison uniform...do everything he can to lead us to another national championship.

he may be the leading rusher this game again and he'll account for 2+ touchdowns...he'll complete 65% of his passes...but hey there was that one pass that he short hopped to an open receiver.

yank him. he's washed up. it's time to usher in the new era of quarterback at ndsu.

BisManBison
10-24-2018, 02:58 PM
Boy, we don't seem too excited about this game.

Any updates on Bruce? Any other significant injuries headed into this weekend?

Brooks had a huge game last year, can he repeat that? Is he close to 100%? As they try to correct that, does that expose the middle of the defense to power runs inside? Stick also threw for over 300 yards against them last year going 11 of 12. Shep should be in line for another good game but is this the week we see another receiver have a breakout week? Is there defense any better this year? Doesn't appear to be, they are giving up over 29 points per game (24 being the fewest surrendered).

17>1
10-24-2018, 03:13 PM
he may be the leading rusher this game again and he'll account for 2+ touchdowns...he'll complete 65% of his passes...and they win...but hey there was that one pass that he short hopped to an open receiver.

yank him. he's washed up. it's time to usher in the new era of quarterback at ndsu.

Fixed your post

Bison 4 Life
10-24-2018, 03:16 PM

Brooks had a huge game last year, can he repeat that? Is he close to 100%? As they try to correct that, does that expose the middle of the defense to power runs inside? Stick also threw for over 300 yards against them last year going 11 of 12. Shep should be in line for another good game but is this the week we see another receiver have a breakout week? Is there defense any better this year? Doesn't appear to be, they are giving up over 29 points per game (24 being the fewest surrendered).

The conventional wisdom is that Bruce will be held out another week. Lots of RB depth and this is a weak ass run defense they'll be up against.

G_Funky
10-24-2018, 05:18 PM

They gave up over 200 on the ground to both SIU and YSU...YSU was close to 300...but it sounds like 50 of that came on a fluke QB scramble towards the end of the game. They aren't particularly good at any defensive position....so they arent going to be able to lean on one position group and sell out with the others. They're front seven is soft and their secondary is average at best.

Offensively their run game will be nonexistent as their o-line is not playing well and they're fighting injuries. In the passing game they'll have to rely on keeping extra guys in to block and they're going to have to do a bunch of quick route combos. I think they're best bet for keeping the game competitive is to turn this into a track meet...but that doesnt really seem likely.

THEsocalledfan
10-24-2018, 06:17 PM
They gave up over 200 on the ground to both SIU and YSU...YSU was close to 300...but it sounds like 50 of that came on a fluke QB scramble towards the end of the game. They aren't particularly good at any defensive position....so they arent going to be able to lean on one position group and sell out with the others. They're front seven is soft and their secondary is average at best.

Offensively their run game will be nonexistent as their o-line is not playing well and they're fighting injuries. In the passing game they'll have to rely on keeping extra guys in to block and they're going to have to do a bunch of quick route combos. I think they're best bet for keeping the game competitive is to turn this into a track meet...but that doesnt really seem likely.

I can't see a way for USD to win this, even if NDSU sleeps walks, even if they don't bring their A game. Any of those happen, USD covers the spread and that is about it.

gumby013
10-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Picked up a brisket for the smoker. Trimmed it up and in a dry brine right now. Most of my pregame prep is complete.

perthbison
10-24-2018, 11:10 PM
he may be the leading rusher this game again and he'll account for 2+ touchdowns...he'll complete 65% of his passes...but hey there was that one pass that he short hopped to an open receiver.

yank him. he's washed up. it's time to usher in the new era of quarterback at ndsu.I have an idea. Post some game film of Mohler each time someone points out some lesser play by Stick;)

Bison 4 Life
10-24-2018, 11:27 PM
Funny story. All this Mohler talk made me wonder what he's doing now. Apparently he's a QB coach for an athletic training academy. I can just imagine the first day.

JM: Hey kids, welcome to QB class. I'm your teacher, Jose Mohler

Kid: I saw you went to NDSU, how was that?

JM: It was great, had a lot of fun

Kid: They've won so many championships, what was that like?

JM: .......

GreenfieldBison
10-25-2018, 12:37 AM
Picked up a brisket for the smoker. Trimmed it up and in a dry brine right now. Most of my pregame prep is complete.

When does it go in the smoker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumby013
10-25-2018, 01:19 AM
When does it go in the smoker?

Friday night. Expecting it to take about 15 hours.

GreenfieldBison
10-25-2018, 01:37 AM
Friday night. Expecting it to take about 15 hours.

Do you use the Texas crutch or just straight smoke the whole way?

gumby013
10-25-2018, 01:51 AM
Do you use the Texas crutch or just straight smoke the whole way?

Just smoke. I don’t wrap anything.

Dry brine in salt for a couple days. Coat with coarse pepper just before going on the smoker, fat side down. And a water pan. Spray down with apple cider vinegar every couple hours. Take off at 203F. Let it rest for a. Hour or so.

GreenfieldBison
10-25-2018, 02:29 AM
Just smoke. I don’t wrap anything.

Dry brine in salt for a couple days. Coat with coarse pepper just before going on the smoker, fat side down. And a water pan. Spray down with apple cider vinegar every couple hours. Take off at 203F. Let it rest for a. Hour or so.

Sounds fantastic. Long night of labor of love. Really dig the Apple cider spritzing.

I’m prepping tonight for colonoscopy first thing tomorrow. You’re killing me with all this brisket chatter.

G_Funky
10-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Funny story. All this Mohler talk made me wonder what he's doing now. Apparently he's a QB coach for an athletic training academy. I can just imagine the first day.

JM: Hey kids, welcome to QB class. I'm your teacher, Jose Mohler

Kid: I saw you went to NDSU, how was that?

JM: It was great, had a lot of fun

Kid: They've won so many championships, what was that like?

JM: .......

Left Coast Athletix...he’s the founder. Proud of the dude for continuing to follow his passion.

perthbison
10-25-2018, 12:13 PM
Left Coast Athletix...he’s the founder. Proud of the dude for continuing to follow his passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkyes, glad to hear he’s doing well

daddy daycare
10-25-2018, 01:56 PM
I know there's a Vegas watch party off the Strip...anyone know of on the strip Bison broadcasts?

bri-dog
10-25-2018, 02:46 PM
I know there's a Vegas watch party off the Strip...anyone know of on the strip Bison broadcasts?

I wouldn't bet on there being one.

El_Chapo
10-25-2018, 02:50 PM
Quick notes:

- Our schedule difficulty has been similar to this point. They have three notable games against Kansas St., Weber St. and UNI. Ours are Delaware (ranked now), SDSU, and UNI. Difference is we are 7-0 and they are 3-4 with similar SoS.

- We have a +25 point differential per game and they have a -2.4

- They avg 2.8 yards per rush and give up 4.2. Compared to our 5.9 and 2.9 respectively.

- Well yeah, but they are a passing team! They average roughly 300 yards passing per game, however our passing game is less frequent but more deadly. We average significantly more yards per attempt (+2 yards) and catch (+4 yards). For a team that is seemingly subpar against the run this sets up for some big receptions when they sell out against the run.

- Time of possession we have them beat by nearly 5 minutes a game. Kind of a result of the two types of offense but still noteworthy. Wearing them down in the second half seems a distinct possibility.

- We are +11 in Turnover margin and they are a very respectable +6. Only thing that sticks out is that they have caused a crazy amount of fumbles (16) and recovered 9. Ball security should be a major focus.

- They are getting 2 sacks a game but giving up 3. NDSU is getting 3 but only giving up 1. Get us a lead and hopefully we can let the DL pin their ears back.

- Their QB (Simmons) seems to spread the ball around pretty well. Falck and Allen are double the receptions of any others but a lot of people with double digit catches. For being a high volume passing team his completion % is pretty blah at 59%

- 2 headed running attack seems pretty average.

Run the ball down their throats to open up the down field passing. It looks like they will be one sided and with our pass rush and good secondary I think we can make it a difficult day for Simmons.

LAUGHABLE QUOTE> Kansas State and Delaware are similiar?? Preposturous statement alert!! NDSU schedule this year has been MUSH.

NDSU wins this 40-7 else I am disappointed

Rixen
10-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Finally watched some highlights from their game. Always hard to gather much from highlights because they are....only highlights. Here are my notes:

- Really looked like they run a ton of shotgun RPO and play action stuff.
- Simmons is a more capable runner then the first glance at stats show. I think the fact he has been sacked 23 times really crushed his yards per attempt. He isn't Easton but he is definitely capable.
- They have a pretty clear cut duo at WR (Allen and Falck) but Allen (82) really flashes in the highlights. Acrobatic catches, good agility, etc.
- They have a Thunder and Lightning type duo at RB. Don't necessarily mean that as a compliment to talent but Klett seems like a downhill bruiser specifically and Henry is the agile outside runner. Hopefully this allows our defense to key on the types of plays in the holster when one or the other are in there. Their yards per game and averages per carry are pretty pedestrian.
- Their primary tight end (Samson) seems like a solid player. Didn't see a whole lot but he seemed pretty capable as a receiver and getting tough yards.
- Their safety (#9 Gray) and their DE (#44 Greenfield) seem to be around the ball a ton.

TLDR: Offense needs to smash them with the run game and take shots as they crowd the LOS. Defense needs to lock down #82 Allen and contain the QB runs. Do that and I like our chances.

El_Chapo
10-25-2018, 02:53 PM
yes, glad to hear he’s doing well

only Bison 4 life would be a douchecanoe to 1 of NDSU's urban legends.

Jose chants at Montana State Playoff game will go down in history ya punk!

SDbison
10-25-2018, 04:24 PM
I can't see a way for USD to win this, even if NDSU sleeps walks, even if they don't bring their A game. Any of those happen, USD covers the spread and that is about it. OK we are just fans and players don't look at upcoming games like we do, but when we think there is no way a team wins, that is when there have been some very close wins or worse yet. We know USD will give us all they got. It will be their Superbowl. The Bison need to bring some energy and execute without mistakes.

G_Funky
10-25-2018, 04:36 PM
OK we are just fans and players don't look at upcoming games like we do, but when we think there is no way a team wins, that is when there have been some very close wins or worse yet. We know USD will give us all they got. It will be their Superbowl. The Bison need to bring some energy and execute without mistakes.

Their super bowl is SDSU, but they have to pretty much win out to make the playoffs...so they'll have extra motivation.

runtheoption
10-25-2018, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't bet on there being one.

I thought you were a high roller.

gumby013
10-26-2018, 01:02 PM
No plane tracking today. So you guys can have fun with this instead.

http://matbus.com/live-bus-tracker

THEsocalledfan
10-26-2018, 01:04 PM

Where is your live Bison Bus tracker?

Bison Loaf
10-26-2018, 01:45 PM

You are so FCS. Pud. :facepalm:

:biggrin:

WhoRepsTheLurker
10-26-2018, 03:07 PM
The coyote is a modest but opportunistic predator that can become dangerous when wounded or cornered. Make sure the wolves are hungry tomorrow.

BisonTeacher
10-27-2018, 12:44 AM
The Eagle has landed!

Hammerhead
10-27-2018, 01:44 AM
I still think they should rename the bus service to Fargo Area Rapid Transit.

Christopher Moen
10-27-2018, 02:04 AM

https://i.imgur.com/LNFGVJ7.gif?noredirect

bruinbison
10-27-2018, 07:42 AM
Things I’ll be watching today include:

- Coyote QB Austin Simmons averages 42 pass attempts per game. 42.
USD has 4 returning starters from last season on the OL. Can they protect Simmons, a 6’ 1” 215 JR??? (smaller than Streveler)

- How elusive is Simmons in the passing game?
Rollouts? QB runs? Pocket presence???

- Bison are a nightmare match-up for USD with their D-Line depth.
NDSU rotates Tuszka, Menard, Jones, Butler, Williams, Steidl, Karcz, Darnell, Waege etc.
Truly 9+ deep - that makes it so hard for USD to wear down the defense with their fast-pace offense.
How will NDSU substitute during the game? 1 or 2 linemen at a time? Or teh hockies style, full line change???

- LB and DB depth, how it is used?
NDSU can substitute and also be creative with base/nickel packages at those positions.

- What is the big play over/under for the SD Bison?
(TFL, Sacks, FR, INT)
Am looking at 4.5 o/u for Tuszka, Marlette & Waege. :)

- NDSU averages 253 yards rushing per game. With USD being uptempo, can the Bison be, say, UNI game good - 344 yards?

- Do the Coaches play a local area RB as long as they are in Vermillion?
True freshman Saybein Clark (Sioux City Iowa - Bishop Heelan) has only played in 1 game so far. Will this be #2 in front of friends & family? (2nd game of 4 allowed under the new redshirting rules)

- Sideline Reporter sightings - Ryan Gellner or Kelly Stewart - who gets the edge???
Might have to make sure Da Bison’s birthday party has Midco on......:)

Christopher Moen
10-27-2018, 08:26 AM
Has Gellner ever wore the uniform of dumb F’Hawks? If no, there’s your answer. Is yes, then to the pit of misery for both of them and give us Ms. Hoole.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

Bison 4 Life
10-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Has Gellner ever wore the uniform of dumb F’Hawks? If no, there’s your answer. Is yes, then to the pit of misery for both of them and give us Ms. Hoole.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

Kelly is so insanely hot, she could wear a hockey jersey with a swastika on it and I'd have a tough time not giving her a pass.

GreenfieldBison
10-27-2018, 01:51 PM

That would be epic. I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EC8CH
10-27-2018, 02:17 PM
That would be epic. I love it.

Natural Gas powered buses of coarse.

gumby013
10-27-2018, 02:32 PM
Sounds fantastic. Long night of labor of love. Really dig the Apple cider spritzing.

I’m prepping tonight for colonoscopy first thing tomorrow. You’re killing me with all this brisket chatter.

Brisket is coming along nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/JuqHOHk.jpg

Christopher Moen
10-27-2018, 04:55 PM
Kelly is so insanely hot, she could wear a hockey jersey with a swastika on it and I'd have a tough time not giving her a pass.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181027/0824d1f0251e3e54ae6c7fd03a071407.gif

GreenfieldBison
10-27-2018, 06:47 PM
Brisket is coming along nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/JuqHOHk.jpg

That looks pretty! What time is it ready? Gonna have some burnt ends?

MNLonghorn10
10-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Kelly is so insanely hot, she could wear a hockey jersey with a swastika on it and I'd have a tough time not giving her a pass.Contain your boner, man

Bison 4 Life
10-27-2018, 07:01 PM
We just got a Casey's by my house. That pizza is going to be my new Saturday meal.

MrSnuffleupagus
10-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Good call on “no more than 10 passes by NDSU,” Beth...