PDA

View Full Version : WIU Post Game Thoughts

Kevin
10-14-2018, 02:18 AM
1) Tough road win. WIU is a solid team but our strengths really stand out against their weaknesses.
2) Easton Stick. Still the best QB in the FCS.
3) I really wanted to see Jabril Cox take that one back for six. Great work in the secondary in general. Congrats to Hendricks.
4) I hope Bruce is ok. Good performance by the backs in general. I'm not a fan of the endzone celebrations. Give the ref the ball and act like you've been there before.
5) Great punting again. Really controlled the field position game well.
6) I'm becoming a big fan of Dallas Freeman. He's only going to get better.
7) Easton got the shit kicked out of him a dozen times today. Need to fix whatever is happening there.
8) Are we vulnerable to the screen the last few games or are just willing to give that up in certain situations?
9) Another step closer to Frisco.

WeAreThePride
10-14-2018, 02:20 AM
6-0, baby! I'll take a 27 point win on the road, every day and twice on Saturday.

GOBISON123
10-14-2018, 02:21 AM
Whats up with Dez Cain, saw him carry the clipboard on the side line few weeks ago, not seeing him on the field lately. Brock Jensen would have hung 60 on these Butch dogs.

HerdNugget9000
10-14-2018, 02:21 AM
This is splitting hairs with some really good performances these last several weeks, but it seems like we're blitzing a lot. With the strength of our D-line what is the value in blitzing when we have such a good chance of getting home with our line and playing better coverage. Seems like when we do get burned it's when they attack the spot where the blitz came from.

23Bison
10-14-2018, 02:22 AM
Need to work on a few things but all in all it was a good win. 6-0 Baby!

MNLonghorn10
10-14-2018, 02:23 AM
Nothing solid about WIU at all.

they suck

scbison91
10-14-2018, 02:23 AM
Whats up with Dez Cain, saw him carry the clipboard on the side line. Brock Jensen would have hung 60 on these Butch dogs. I think shoulder.. Kleinman says he will be out for a week or 2.

SoCalBison
10-14-2018, 02:24 AM
Easton didn't have enough in his tank to carry the offense tonight. There were only 2 drives that worked well, the scoring drive in the first half and the possession that started the second half. Other than that, way too many 3 and outs.

Haven't checked time of possession, but it can't be good. Bison need to convert first downs and dominate when on offense.

Defense wasn't tackling well for most of the game, but came up with killer play when needed.

Count it as a win, and get better for next week.

GSUsTALON
10-14-2018, 02:24 AM
NDSU 34-7 + 6 -0 = 7NCs

HerdBot
10-14-2018, 02:26 AM
Great game. WIU is a solid team and tough to run on. 4 picks. Any word on Tanner Volson?

KTF
10-14-2018, 02:32 AM
Is Jabril injured? He seemed to favoring his left shoulder a bit right before his int...

MontBison
10-14-2018, 02:36 AM
Nothing solid about WIU at all.

they suck

This x 100

Vet70
10-14-2018, 02:36 AM
easton didn't have enough in his tank to carry the offense tonight. There were only 2 drives that worked well, the scoring drive in the first half and the possession that started the second half. Other than that, way too many 3 and outs.

haven't checked time of possession, but it can't be good. bison need to convert first downs and dominate when on offense.

Defense wasn't tackling well for most of the game, but came up with killer play when needed.

Count it as a win, and get better for next week.

ndsu 31.39, wiu 28.21.

BisManBison
10-14-2018, 02:40 AM
Great game. WIU is a solid team and tough to run on. 4 picks. Any word on Tanner Volson?

Tanner returned to the game.

SoCalBison
ndsu 31.39, wiu 28.21.

We must have run more time off than WIU getting out of the huddle.

KilldeerBison
Spencer Waege!

SafeTeeJ
Great win! Road night games are always tough.

NDSU1980
10-14-2018, 02:43 AM
I loved all the INT's. Shows what the D can do. I can't believe some people are actually saying WIU is a piss poor team. The reality is, we make good teams look piss poor.

jcdcubs
10-14-2018, 02:44 AM
Is Bruce Anderson ok? Is Hamstring injury or cramps?

Wally
10-14-2018, 02:49 AM
1. Both Kickoff units are BAD
2. Darrius could use a little help from other pass catchers....Freeman has shown a pulse, but no one stands out.
3. OL is average at best and needs a lot of work
4. Once is a mistake. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is a damn problem. These slow starts will bite back in the playoffs or sooner.
5. Punting unit has been great.
6. Been fortunate with limited injuries....until tonight....hope Bruce's hammy isn't too bad, but those injuries linger
7. Tackling has been gross
8. Win is a win is a win

HerdistheWord
10-14-2018, 02:49 AM
There are definitely some improvements to be made with our offense. Defense was lights out with the exception of some tackling, but some of those missed tackles have to be credited to good jukes by the offense. Honestly with some of the comments in the game thread, you'd think we were losing to some pud team...like Elon.

KSBisonFan
10-14-2018, 02:50 AM
What happened to Grimsley?
Noticing some low rollers on punt snaps. Wegner has been solid.

stevdock
10-14-2018, 02:50 AM
I loved all the INT's. Shows what the D can do. I can't believe some people are actually saying WIU is a piss poor team. The reality is, we make good teams look piss poor.

We do make a lot of good teams look terrible, but I am starting to get a little concerned with our defense. I know we still only gave up 7 but there's something missing in this defense. We're just different out there and I don't know what it is and I'm hoping it doesn't get figured out until after win 15.

KTF
10-14-2018, 02:54 AM
We do make a lot of good teams look terrible, but I am starting to get a little concerned with our defense. I know we still only gave up 7 but there's something missing in this defense. We're just different out there and I don't know what it is and I'm hoping it doesn't get figured out until after win 15.
Lb corp is not as good as last year... Deluca seemed to take care of the middle of the field.

MAKBison
10-14-2018, 02:56 AM

4 ints, a fumble recovery for a TD. Held them to 9 total rushing yards........But the missed tackles were sloppy

thundarsdaddy
10-14-2018, 02:57 AM
We held them to 9 yards rushing, and the only significant longs passes completed, were jump balls that their guys came down with. Hard to play in a dead stadium.

aces1180
10-14-2018, 02:58 AM
I love how we win a Valley game by 27, on the road in the middle of nowhere and certain people on BV go into a full-blown meltdown. I cannot imagine living like that, but that's just my opinion. I hope you all find happiness in your life. That's not a shot, as negativity can really affect health.

Good win, Bison! Let's keep rolling!

Bisonator98
10-14-2018, 02:58 AM

The tackling has been an issue for awhile. Need to clean that up.

MAKBison
10-14-2018, 03:01 AM
We must have run more time off than WIU getting out of the huddle.
We also scored on D, quick out of the half and they went for it on 4th most of the 4th.

MNLonghorn10
10-14-2018, 03:06 AM

except, theyre not good at anything. Theyre the 25th ranked FCS team in the sagarin. their 1 TD had some miraculous miscues by NDSU(sack misses and an allison missed INT that should've been 6)...their TD was also one hell of a catch.

This isnt your WIU gritty team from the past 5 years thatll ugly up a game enough to where they can threaten to steal one from the better team...these guys werent any good at all.

BisonNeil
10-14-2018, 03:23 AM

I think the defense is great, that’s not an issue.

In the second half the Bison defense forced four consecutive turnovers inside the WIU side of the field. One on downs, three INTs, and only got 10 points, the only TD came on the fourth TO. That should not be considered acceptable offense when the D plays so well, and it comes down to the philosophy of the HC. He always takes the foot off the peddle and it could cost him this year. If they had pushed scoring on those first three turnovers and have gotten more than three points Stick could have gone to the bench and valuable playing time could have been given to a backup QB. That reduces the risk of Stick getting hurt rather than benching him with less than two minutes left in the game. Lots of backups get quality playing time, but not the QB. One could make an argument that this position is the weakest link to another championship.

Professor Chaos
10-14-2018, 03:30 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like the receivers (including backs and TEs) don't adjust to the blitz really at all? In most of the sacks I remember today there was no receiver in frame when Stick was taken down. No hot routes... nowhere for him to go except try to scramble away.

All in all though it was a great effort though. For as dominant as the offense was last week the defense picked it up this week. Outside of some herculean efforts from former NDSU verbal Isaiah Lesure (would be kind of nice to have him in green & yellow right now) and some poorly read screens the defense shut them down and could've easily forced more turnovers than they did.

NDSU92
10-14-2018, 03:48 AM
Our defense scored just as many points as their offense did. Tackling looked a little sloppy at times, but let’s be real. Our defense can’t hold a team to negative points. Sometimes that’s apparently what we expect?

westnodak93bison
10-14-2018, 04:39 AM
Lb corp is not as good as last year... Deluca seemed to take care of the middle of the field.I agree.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bison03
10-14-2018, 05:13 AM
A dominating defensive performance and we won by 25. I am happy with it. Yes, always things to get better on but sometimes it seems like some only think a good game was played if we win 80-0 with 0 yards allowed. Celebrate the win !!

HerdBot
10-14-2018, 05:26 AM
except, theyre not good at anything. Theyre the 25th ranked FCS team in the sagarin. their 1 TD had some miraculous miscues by NDSU(sack misses and an allison missed INT that should've been 6)...their TD was also one hell of a catch.

This isnt your WIU gritty team from the past 5 years thatll ugly up a game enough to where they can threaten to steal one from the better team...these guys werent any good at all.

We kicked their ass worse than those previous teams

Mr Meaty
10-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Leaving beautiful Macomb now headed home.

EC8CH
10-14-2018, 03:01 PM
UNI game they win big in an offensive shootout.
WIU game they win big in a defensive standoff.
Just win big baby.

EC8CH
10-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Klieman is coy about Anderson, Grimsley, etc injuries until gameday next week. Big conference game against Red Birds.

scottietohottie
10-14-2018, 10:57 PM
Dom just said Tanner Volson was hurt along with Bruce and Robbie. I missed that.

MAKBison
10-14-2018, 11:03 PM
Dom just said Tanner Volson was hurt along with Bruce and Robbie. I missed that.

Tanner came out and then went back in (arm hand wrist type of injury). the other two never came back in.

EC8CH
10-14-2018, 11:05 PM
Tanner came out and then went back in (arm hand wrist type of injury). the other two never came back in.

Dislocated finger maybe?

scottietohottie
10-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Well that's a relief. I didn't see him out long

MAKBison
10-14-2018, 11:12 PM
Well that's a relief. I didn't see him out long

nope he was in the next series

56BISON73
10-15-2018, 02:15 AM
Dislocated finger maybe?

He was holding his wrist.

EC8CH
10-15-2018, 02:18 AM
He was holding his wrist.

Can you dislocate your wrist? How else is he in that much pain but is in the game only a few plays later?

56BISON73
10-15-2018, 02:24 AM
Can you dislocate your wrist? How else is he in that much pain but is in the game only a few plays later?

You can hyper-extend it. If you dislocate it there is usually fractures involved. You can also have it stepped on and it could get caught in a collision.

MAKBison
10-15-2018, 02:30 AM
You can hyper-extend it. If you dislocate it there is usually fractures involved. You can also have it stepped on and it could get caught in a collision.

I was thinking it was stomped on, after the play. I might rewatch the game and if I do I will try and see what's up.

roadwarrior
10-15-2018, 01:26 PM
I wonder why the WIU players marched through the tailgate lot a couple of hours prior to the game. Was it to fire up the 50 or so WIU fans tailgating? Was it to show the WIU players how NDSU fans travel and tailgate? Or was it because they just followed the cheerleaders?

MontBison
10-15-2018, 02:16 PM
I wonder why the WIU players marched through the tailgate lot a couple of hours prior to the game. Was it to fire up the 50 or so WIU fans tailgating? Was it to show the WIU players how NDSU fans travel and tailgate? Or was it because they just followed the cheerleaders?

The school probably doesn’t provide them with a pregame meal so they have to go to the tailgate when they get hungry. Nothing like a hot dog and a beer to get you ready for the game your about to play in.

Scooter1
10-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Anybody know whats up with Purifoy? Is he still on the team? Our backs are getting kind of beat up.

BattleBorn
10-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Post game thoughts:

56BISON76 makes an amazing beef sandwich. Strongly recommend.
I can live without ever visiting Macomb again.
We are spoiled rotten to have such a great football team, yet still find things to bitch about.

MrSnuffleupagus
10-15-2018, 02:38 PM
We are spoiled rotten to have such a great football team, yet still find things to bitch about.

Were already to the part of the season where people bitch about people people bitching? Man, this really season is flying by. I thought that didn't start until after the 7th game?

Bison 4 Life
10-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Post game thoughts:

56BISON76 makes an amazing beef sandwich. Strongly recommend.
I can live without ever visiting Macomb again.

Agreed on all counts. I'm never making that trip again. It was my only reasonable trip this year but if that's the case again, I'll go without.

BattleBorn
10-15-2018, 02:48 PM
Were already to the part of the season where people bitch about people people bitching? Man, this really season is flying by. I thought that didn't start until after the 7th game?

Yikes, I guess I am really off my game this season. Do we yank the redshirt off the backup who joined to bitch about the bitching???

Professor Chaos
10-15-2018, 02:56 PM
I thought we hit that part at about 4PM CT on September 1st???

Vet70
10-15-2018, 03:00 PM

When is it acceptable to start bitching about people bitching about people bitching?

Professor Chaos
10-15-2018, 03:05 PM
When is it acceptable to start bitching about people bitching about people bitching?
I can't believe we're already bitching about the people who are bitching about the people who are bitching. It's ridiculous!

Vet70
10-15-2018, 03:10 PM
I can't believe we're already bitching about the people who are bitching about the people who are bitching. It's ridiculous!

Okay, that's enough bitching. :rofl:

Professor Chaos
10-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Okay, that's enough bitching. :rofl:
Too late....

http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/freethoughtnow/files/2015/11/austin-powers-cross-eyed.jpg

totoinfl
10-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Good to see the team come to play. First outdoor game of the season and in less than great weather conditions....not sure if the played a part or not.
We have a very good punter...every game seems to flip the field or pin the other team deep with an excellent punt.
Hope Anderson isn't too dinged up...he was running rampant until the injury.
O-Line needs help on pass blocking or perhaps Stick needs to get rid of the ball sooner...I don't think this was a great D Line for WIU and they spent a lot of time in the backfield.
I also think LB corp, with the exception of Cox, are a little suspect in some pass coverage. Don't expect them to run with wideouts, but seems like they get caught out of position against TE and RB on wheel routes a little too often...perhaps due to increased blitzing our end.
I give credit to the WIU game production...watched on ESPN...the OCHO...they were pretty good for college students and their replay stuff was better than we usually see. Cued it up quick and had some pretty good camera angles.
Brooks had some good runs, it was nice to see him back in rotation being productive after the injury...Cofield is going to blister some team.

KNOW IT ALL
10-15-2018, 05:13 PM
1. Both Kickoff units are BAD
2. Darrius could use a little help from other pass catchers....Freeman has shown a pulse, but no one stands out.
3. OL is average at best and needs a lot of work
4. Once is a mistake. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is a damn problem. These slow starts will bite back in the playoffs or sooner.
5. Punting unit has been great.
6. Been fortunate with limited injuries....until tonight....hope Bruce's hammy isn't too bad, but those injuries linger
7. Tackling has been gross
8. Win is a win is a win

Does the Bison have any other WR's other then Shep? Cannot believe how poor the crew is once you get past Shepherd. A legitimate cause for concern come playoff time. Teams are going to double over the top on Shep or injury and this WR corp may be toast. As for special teams; Vanilla, Vanilla, Vanilla and way below this teams talent level. Something lacking in philosophy or coaching for sure, been a couple years like this. Such a great talented team and roster that these ongoing weaknesses are a mystery!!!!

Twincitybizon
10-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Good to see the team come to play. First outdoor game of the season and in less than great weather conditions....not sure if the played a part or not.
We have a very good punter...every game seems to flip the field or pin the other team deep with an excellent punt.
Hope Anderson isn't too dinged up...he was running rampant until the injury.
O-Line needs help on pass blocking or perhaps Stick needs to get rid of the ball sooner...I don't think this was a great D Line for WIU and they spent a lot of time in the backfield.
I also think LB corp, with the exception of Cox, are a little suspect in some pass coverage. Don't expect them to run with wideouts, but seems like they get caught out of position against TE and RB on wheel routes a little too often...perhaps due to increased blitzing our end.
I give credit to the WIU game production...watched on ESPN...the OCHO...they were pretty good for college students and their replay stuff was better than we usually see. Cued it up quick and had some pretty good camera angles.
Brooks had some good runs, it was nice to see him back in rotation being productive after the injury...Cofield is going to blister some team.

They are Very good up front. 99 Saunders is a DUDE!

EC8CH
10-15-2018, 05:48 PM

Agree. Bison Oline needs to improve Pass Pro, but Westerns front 3 were a solid unit, 99 especially.

CAS4127
10-15-2018, 05:54 PM
My PGTs: I’m worried about the Redbirds, especially their RBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KNOW IT ALL
10-15-2018, 06:28 PM

#99 = NFL, That big guy was in class of his own. No depth on D-line just like the past couple years we have played them, Same story, they dominate the line of scrimmage for about a half and then run out of gas!!! Add depth to that Dline and WIU contends for a conference title.

Mr Meaty
10-15-2018, 06:55 PM
#99 = NFL, That big guy was in class of his own. No depth on D-line just like the past couple years we have played them, Same story, they dominate the line of scrimmage for about a half and then run out of gas!!! Add depth to that Dline and WIU contends for a conference title.

This is correct. #99 was out of gas by halftime. Came out with guns blazing and it worked but the finish was not there.

Mr Meaty
10-15-2018, 06:57 PM

That being said it I would like to see NDSU offense have more running plays early in the game on the edge instead of the steady diet up the middle for the most part. Get the D-line running side to side and make them tired. We have the depth so it should not be an issue for us.

THEsocalledfan
10-15-2018, 07:08 PM
My PGTs: I’m worried about the Redbirds, especially their RBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil was on the Insiders today saying the same. He stressed they need to hit this guy low and wrap up. (You'd think that would be obvious, but man, been a lot of bad tackling this year.)

56BISON73
10-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Agree. Bison Oline needs to improve Pass Pro, but Westerns front 3 were a solid unit, 99 especially.

Very very quick for a big man. He will get some looks at the next level.

wagsabison
10-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Was there ever an explanation as to what Ty Brooks was thinking after his TD? On the media blog they showed the touchdown and the bow to what looked like about 5 people in the crowd. I kinda get it if they’re being heckled by a number of people but what’s the point when nobody is there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THEsocalledfan
10-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Was there ever an explanation as to what Ty Brooks was thinking after his TD? On the media blog they showed the touchdown and the bow to what looked like about 5 people in the crowd. I kinda get it if they’re being heckled by a number of people but what’s the point when nobody is there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coach in the presser said he was "just having fun" but that has been addressed. My read was he was talked to, but they did not come down hard on him.

1998braves64
10-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Coach in the presser said he was "just having fun" but that has been addressed. My read was he was talked to, but they did not come down hard on him.Klieman and he had about 30 second chat on sideline that was shown on kvly. Klieman didn't look pissed off but seemed he was giving some solid advice for future situations.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Bison 4 Life
10-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Klieman and he had about 30 second chat on sideline that was shown on kvly. Klieman didn't look pissed off but seemed he was giving some solid advice for future situations.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Not good enough for the angry mob. Klieman should present him to the tailgate lot on Saturday morning for admonishment.

MrSnuffleupagus
10-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Not good enough for the angry mob. Klieman should present him to the tailgate lot on Saturday morning for admonishment.

https://media.giphy.com/media/vX9WcCiWwUF7G/giphy.gif

scottietohottie
10-16-2018, 12:55 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/vX9WcCiWwUF7G/giphy.gif

Klieman is a players coach. Kramer is the discipline. That's a fact Jack. Watch what Klieman does after he talks to Brooks. It was handled.

totoinfl
10-16-2018, 02:02 PM
That being said it I would like to see NDSU offense have more running plays early in the game on the edge instead of the steady diet up the middle for the most part. Get the D-line running side to side and make them tired. We have the depth so it should not be an issue for us.

OK so 99 is a stud...don't we start 4 seniors on the O Line and RBs who also have been in the program long enough to learn to pass block. It seems the last 2 or 3 games the pressure on Stick when he is in the pocket is quick and he gets dropped...He does hold the ball a little long sometimes, but I just don't like the way the Oline is pass blocking, on the other hand the run blocking has been good, especially when they pull and go the edge or end gap.

GSUsTALON
10-16-2018, 11:36 PM
1) Tough road win. WIU is a solid team but our strengths really stand out against their weaknesses.
2) Easton Stick. Still the best QB in the FCS.
3) I really wanted to see Jabril Cox take that one back for six. Great work in the secondary in general. Congrats to Hendricks.
4) I hope Bruce is ok. Good performance by the backs in general. I'm not a fan of the endzone celebrations. Give the ref the ball and act like you've been there before.
5) Great punting again. Really controlled the field position game well.
6) I'm becoming a big fan of Dallas Freeman. He's only going to get better.
7) Easton got the shit kicked out of him a dozen times today. Need to fix whatever is happening there.
8) Are we vulnerable to the screen the last few games or are just willing to give that up in certain situations?
9) Another step closer to Frisco.

As far as I'm concerned NDSU is already in the playoffs and Frisco bound.

Even if you lose 2-3 games your in the playoffs. The only thing left to see is the final rankings, your bracket & how many NDSU will host in Fargo.