PDA

View Full Version : Excellence Games

Rock
09-24-2018, 03:49 AM
Like to start a thread for games we have been able to observe football excellence. Even though the games may be overlooked in the future. Not necessarily “big” games but where we have seen the standard of Bison Football being met.

Kudos to the players and coaches. I have a lot of people ask “why do you watch these games if they are just kicking the snot out of them?” I watch them for games like yesterday. NDSU pounds a lot of teams, and it is good- but yesterday was greatness on display. Still some to clean up but a lot of excellence in those 60 minutes.

NDSU VS DELAWARE 2018 all aspects of Bison game clicking with different player groups feeding each other. d line pressure creating interception opportunities. Oline creating absurd time for Easton. Jabril Cox pick 6 (second in 2 weeks) and I think his next play after he has a sack. Easton on his game running and throwing. Special teams making shortening the field with big plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
09-24-2018, 04:21 AM
A couple that stand out to me.

YSU 2012: I believe it was #1 vs #2 in the country, YSU was the only loss for the Bison the previous year during the first title run, it was homecoming IIRC, and they even picked the game on College Gameday that morning. I think most fans were still a little unsure of whether that team was a title contender but after a 48-7 beatdown on YSU that day I think quite a few, myself included, started making Frisco plans (back in those days you could still get good, and cheap, Frisco tickets in early October).

WIU 2015: WIU had a pretty good team that year, I think they made the playoffs at 6-5 due to their insanely tough schedule. I believe it was Easton Stick's 1st start in the Fargodome and they laid the wood on the Leathernecks to the tune of 59-7 or something like that. That was also Zach Vraa's famous "hug the defender" catch game.

EDIT: Gotta add that 2007 Central Michigan game in there too. Going in I remember thinking that they'd have a decent shot to win if they played well but a 44-14 beatdown like they gave them never even crossed my mind.

You could do a whole thread just with playoff games. There was the Georgia Southern 2011 semi, the entire 2013 playoffs, the entire 2017 playoffs until Frisco. Montana to open the 2015 playoffs.....

We're f#$%in spoiled rotten as fans. :)

oldmantutters
09-24-2018, 04:26 AM

YSU 2012: I believe it was #1 vs #2 in the country, YSU was the only loss for the Bison the previous year during the first title run, it was homecoming IIRC, and they even picked the game on College Gameday that morning. I think most fans were still a little unsure of whether that team was a title contender but after a 48-7 beatdown on YSU that day I think quite a few, myself included, started making Frisco plans (back in those days you could still get good, and cheap, Frisco tickets in early October).

WIU 2015: WIU had a pretty good team that year, I think they made the playoffs at 6-5 due to their insanely tough schedule. I believe it was Easton Stick's 1st start in the Fargodome and they laid the wood on the Leathernecks to the tune of 59-7 or something like that. That was also Zach Vraa's famous "hug the defender" catch game.That YSU game is the one that immediately came to my mind too. It was hoping so that little extra buzz was in the air. I thought it was #1 vs. #3 but either way NDSU was just dominant from the jump.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

BisonTeacher
09-24-2018, 04:39 AM

WIU 2015: WIU had a pretty good team that year, I think they made the playoffs at 6-5 due to their insanely tough schedule. I believe it was Easton Stick's 1st start in the Fargodome and they laid the wood on the Leathernecks to the tune of 59-7 or something like that. That was also Zach Vraa's famous "hug the defender" catch game.

EDIT: Gotta add that 2007 Central Michigan game in there too. Going in I remember thinking that they'd have a decent shot to win if they played well but a 44-14 beatdown like they gave them never even crossed my mind.

You could do a whole thread just with playoff games. There was the Georgia Southern 2011 semi, the entire 2013 playoffs, the entire 2017 playoffs until Frisco. Montana to open the 2015 playoffs.....

We're f#$%in spoiled rotten as fans. :)

Pretty sure that YSU game was homecoming? It was a dominant performance.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2018, 04:41 AM
In the DI era...the two Georgia Southern playoff games stand out for me.

In the DII era...a game or two with Pitt State, and the Indiana, PA championship game stand out. We throttled Indiana in all phases.

BisonTeacher
09-24-2018, 04:43 AM
In the DI era...the two Georgia Southern playoff games stand out for me.

Colton heagle was a beast

Snowgoose
09-24-2018, 01:18 PM
I have had other people saying recently "why do you watch these games when they just kill everyone as it is boring". The same question could be said about 85% of Alabama's games yet lots of people still watch their games. It is about excellence and this will not last forever for sure.

HandoEX
09-24-2018, 01:56 PM
USD in 2012 in sioux falls. Don’t think the yotes crossed the 50 more than once the entire game.

SoCalBison
09-24-2018, 01:58 PM
I have had other people saying recently "why do you watch these games when they just kill everyone as it is boring".

Have you been talking to my wife? :duel:

JMB
09-24-2018, 01:59 PM
"Why do I watch these games?"...

... because I watch the Vikings on Sunday.

Vet70
09-24-2018, 02:21 PM
For me, both K-State and Iowa demonstrated a Bison standard of excellence.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2018, 02:24 PM
...couldn't agree more...

JMB
09-24-2018, 04:10 PM

My favorite play in the K-State game is actually the final kickoff... NDSU spent the entire game kicking it short to avoid the big return. On the last kick, they moved their returners up, NDSU recognized it and kicked it over their heads into the endzone. Plays like that show an attention to detail.

Rock
09-25-2018, 02:49 PM
1660 had a long segment about fan complacency yesterday. For me it harkens back to this thread.

When the team is playing at a high level I love to sit back and appreciate even if not a blowout. rather see a shutout than a blowout anyway.

THEsocalledfan
09-25-2018, 02:53 PM
1660 had a long segment about fan complacency yesterday. For me it harkens back to this thread.

When the team is playing at a high level I love to sit back and appreciate even if not a blowout. rather see a shutout than a blowout anyway.

Yep, I don't get it. WAY less stressful than watching a close game. Then, I start to wonder, are folks who come fans or are they just looking for entertainment? If the former, you have to love a good stomping.

Christopher Moen
09-25-2018, 03:24 PM

Kolpack and Izzo also discussed this issue on their SDSU Preview podcast. Basically said the FargoDome has gradually gotten less loud over the years since 2013, if I remember correctly.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

Vet70
09-25-2018, 03:28 PM
Kolpack and Izzo also discussed this issue on their SDSU Preview podcast. Basically said the FargoDome has gradually gotten less loud over the years since 2013, if I remember correctly.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

We will see if it is loud Saturday.

westnodak93bison
09-25-2018, 04:07 PM
We will see if it is loud Saturday.It's only loud it it has to be cause the game is close.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JMB
09-25-2018, 08:43 PM

Kolpack would do Coach Klieman a big favor if he wrote an article about that in the paper... Or better yet McFeely.... "NDSU fans used to be the best, now they are quiet knitters."

MankatoBison
09-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Its no secret that the crowd is far less intense than it used to be. That's because the games and the stakes are far less intense than they used to be.

2011- literally no one besides ourselves believed we could dethrown UNI or win multiple playoff games, or beat GSU or a national championsip
2012- no one believed we could win it back to back
2013 - okay you won back to back, but 3x?
2014- okay now there's really no way you guys are good without that senior class blah blah blah

The law of decreasing marginal utility tells us that as a collective we appreciate each natty less than the one before (I know that we Hard core fans love each natty equally like children haha), however the overal buzz and importance to the casual fans (students) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaay lower than in previous years... and who cana blame them?

Cheer louder dood, its 3rd down
Who cares- we're going to win no matter what- we've won 6/7 national championships.

the joy that a casual fan has for the 7th or 8th national championship is SO MUCH LESS than the first.

I'm not defending dull crowds at ALL- i was at the game saturday and you could hear me whistling literally over the Television (watch the first 7 seconds of the Jabril Cox pick 6- you can distinclty hear the whistle). But psychology and economics says that this is the law of decreasing marginal utility. open and shut.

We either need to get worse, or our competition needs to get better before people feel like its "NEW" again and start screaming their asses off

BisonNation11
09-25-2018, 08:57 PM
USD in 2012 in sioux falls. Don’t think the yotes crossed the 50 more than once the entire game.

I'd say three times if you count their streaker

Professor Chaos
09-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Its no secret that the crowd is far less intense than it used to be. That's because the games and the stakes are far less intense than they used to be.

2011- literally no one besides ourselves believed we could dethrown UNI or win multiple playoff games, or beat GSU or a national championsip
2014- okay now there's really no way you guys are good without that senior class blah blah blah

The law of decreasing marginal utility tells us that as a collective we appreciate each natty less than the one before (I know that we Hard core fans love each natty equally like children haha), however the overal buzz and importance to the casual fans (students) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaay lower than in previous years... and who cana blame them?

Who cares- we're going to win no matter what- we've won 6/7 national championships.

the joy that a casual fan has for the 7th or 8th national championship is SO MUCH LESS than the first.

I'm not defending dull crowds at ALL- i was at the game saturday and you could hear me whistling literally over the Television (watch the first 7 seconds of the Jabril Cox pick 6- you can distinclty hear the whistle). But psychology and economics says that this is the law of decreasing marginal utility. open and shut.

We either need to get worse, or our competition needs to get better before people feel like its "NEW" again and start screaming their asses off
I don't know if it confirms or disproves your theory but, at least for me, this last title was topped only by the first one (and may have been about tied with the 2014 classic against Illinois St). Just that one year hiatus made it seem a little sweeter. Having a team that actually was threatening to take the mantle as not only the best team in the FCS but the best program of the FCS in JMU made it seem like there was more on the line than in previous title games. It'll be tough to top that one.

Vet70
09-25-2018, 10:08 PM

Whoa, whoa! Pschology, Economics and the law of decreasing marginal utility? Way to apply that college education. :biggrin: