PDA

View Full Version : Dome metal detector thread

HerdBot
08-31-2018, 06:58 PM
This is a thread to communicate the process so we dont have 6k people all trying to get in and holding up the line

This isn't like airport where you have to remove belts, shoes, and stuff but plan on giving yourself a little more time

Dont remove jacket, wallet, coins, shoes

You just need to put your cell phone, sun glasses, metal flask (sarcasm) and car keys in a bin

No bags larger than 13 inches. No selfie sticks, cameras with detachable lenses, or computers

http://www.inforum.com/news/4492463-fargodome-security-what-you-need-know-ahead-ndsus-football-home-opener

Professor Chaos
08-31-2018, 07:01 PM
They need more than 30 metal detectors if they want this to be anything other than a complete shit show. In reading the Forum article about it I got the impression that Sobolik was making it sound like them getting 3,000 people through the metal detectors every 15 was fast. They only open the doors 90 minutes before kickoff. That's six 15 minute windows. If they get 3k people through every 15 minutes during that time that's 18k. The dome holds 19k when sold out with standing room...

THEsocalledfan
08-31-2018, 07:26 PM
They need more than 30 metal detectors if they want this to be anything other than a complete shit show. In reading the Forum article about it I got the impression that Sobolik was making it sound like them getting 3,000 people through the metal detectors every 15 was fast. They only open the doors 90 minutes before kickoff. That's six 15 minute windows. If they get 3k people through every 15 minutes during that time that's 18k. The dome holds 19k when sold out with standing room...

Not to mention, everyone will head in at 2; good luck with that.

tony
08-31-2018, 07:35 PM
Also, do not wrap trouser cucumbers in foil.

KNOW IT ALL
08-31-2018, 07:40 PM
I completely agree with the security measures but I would think opening the doors 2 hours early because of this would make much more sense. " We Cant get around that old minimum wage Mortimer!!".

Bison Loaf
08-31-2018, 07:48 PM

Would that also hold true for anacondas? Asking for a friend. :biggrin:

Christopher Moen
08-31-2018, 07:49 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/tLql6mMHC6wvK/giphy.gif

Mr Meaty
08-31-2018, 08:12 PM
I completely agree with the security measures but I would think opening the doors 2 hours early because of this would make much more sense. " We Cant get around that old minimum wage Mortimer!!".

Still does not solve the problem as earlier stated about everyone trying to get in at 2:00.
Will they delay the start of the game if majority of fans are still outside? lol

imabison
08-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Still does not solve the problem as earlier stated about everyone trying to get in at 2:00.
Will they delay the start of the game if majority of fans are still outside? lol

I know piss off the masses and close tailgating an extra 1/2 early to force people to the doors earlier to get in the building..

Vet70
08-31-2018, 08:23 PM

I know piss off the masses and close tailgating an extra 1/2 early to force people to the doors earlier to get in the building..

In my view, if people wait until 2 that becomes a personal problerm.

THEsocalledfan
08-31-2018, 08:42 PM
In my view, if people wait until 2 that becomes a personal problerm.

Wonder if walking to the East side would help?

Vet70
08-31-2018, 08:48 PM
Wonder if walking to the East side would help?

This whole thing is probably going to be trial and error.

56BISON73
08-31-2018, 08:54 PM
We usually go in an hour early. But I think we will try the south end this game and see how it goes.

oldmantutters
08-31-2018, 09:05 PM
I usually go in the East side. I usually just pay to park in the East lot and meet up with the group I tailgate with. Then usually have a few things to drop off at the car before going in. It'll definitely be interesting to see how these detectors affect things. Eventually we'll all have it down to an art but it could take awhile before that happens.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

roadwarrior
08-31-2018, 09:39 PM
They have used metal detectors at Target Field since it opened. It is probably standard procedure across the country now at major venues. I doubt this will be much of an issue unless everyone in the west lot attempts to enter through the west doors.

Vet70
08-31-2018, 09:46 PM
I usually go in the East side. I usually just pay to park in the East lot and meet up with the group I tailgate with. Then usually have a few things to drop off at the car before going in. It'll definitely be interesting to see how these detectors affect things. Eventually we'll all have it down to an art but it could take awhile before that happens.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Same thing we always do.

Professor Chaos
08-31-2018, 10:02 PM
Not to mention, everyone will head in at 2; good luck with that.
Yep, exactly my point. They'll get 18k through by kickoff if every line is full from the point the doors open until 2:30. We all know that won't be the case so I'm guessing it's going to get ugly for these first few games with several thousand fans missing a good chunk of the 1st quarter. Like has been said though everyone should know about this added time this year so it's on you if you don't take the extra time to get in. Personally, I think I'm going to enjoy the tailgate weather until 2 like I normally do and just live with missing the first few minutes of the game (hopefully).

THEsocalledfan
08-31-2018, 11:34 PM
Yep, exactly my point. They'll get 18k through by kickoff if every line is full from the point the doors open until 2:30. We all know that won't be the case so I'm guessing it's going to get ugly for these first few games with several thousand fans missing a good chunk of the 1st quarter. Like has been said though everyone should know about this added time this year so it's on you if you don't take the extra time to get in. Personally, I think I'm going to enjoy the tailgate weather until 2 like I normally do and just live with missing the first few minutes of the game (hopefully).

I'd say in your case, quick walk to the east will be wise.

17>1
08-31-2018, 11:41 PM
Metal detectors at the tin shed in GF last night, not much of a delay.

bri-dog
08-31-2018, 11:46 PM
Metal detectors at the tin shed in GF last night, not much of a delay.

Both people got through okay?

17>1
09-01-2018, 12:09 AM
Both people got through okay?

Ha, yeah. Thought of that right after I posted that. Much much smaller sample size for sure.

HerdBot
09-01-2018, 12:25 AM
Ha, yeah. Thought of that right after I posted that. Much much smaller sample size for sure.

8800 paid. That was paid

roadwarrior
09-01-2018, 12:28 AM
A bigger issue tomorrow will be post game traffic. With southbound University only a single lane from 12th to 4th Ave will cause a major delay.

17>1
09-01-2018, 01:26 AM
A bigger issue tomorrow will be post game traffic. With southbound University only a single lane from 12th to 4th Ave will cause a major delay.

No toll bridge into Moorhead either. May have an affect on those of us from across the river.

heffray
09-01-2018, 01:56 AM

Glad to know I’m not the only one.. better safe than sorry ya know...

Honeybooboo
09-01-2018, 03:24 AM
Every venue has them, its the way of life now

MNLonghorn10
09-01-2018, 05:07 AM
A bigger issue tomorrow will be post game traffic. With southbound University only a single lane from 12th to 4th Ave will cause a major delay.Leave the game early and you don't have that problem

SomeBeach
09-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Leave the game early and you don't have that problem

What color shirts are we supposed to wear when we leave the venue early?

1998braves64
09-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Holy Batman this is terrible.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

1998braves64
09-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Every door has a mile long line. The NE corner seems the shortest.

THEsocalledfan
09-01-2018, 08:09 PM
East was easy

1998braves64
09-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Follow up on this went pretty smooth but was on east side which had much shorter lines.

HandoEX
09-01-2018, 09:26 PM
No wait at 1:45 on the west side. About the same as years past.

TAILG8R
09-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Walked in at 2:20 didn't hardly even have to slow down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
09-01-2018, 10:15 PM
At Bluestem they have you remove your wallet so I could have snuck in my credit card sized multi tool that includes a cutting edge,

HerdBot
09-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Maybe 5 or 10 minutes slower max . Not a big deal at all

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-01-2018, 10:38 PM
My son reported that the south side student entrance was a shit show. In line for over an hour.

EC8CH
09-02-2018, 12:01 AM
North side was easy breezy.

B. b. bison
09-02-2018, 12:16 AM
Entered the Dome by the East side around 1330, no real delay and judging by the crowd at kickoff, between the lines moving quickly and people making the needed adjustments, there was little impact.

Overall, much less of a cluster than expected.

1998braves64
09-02-2018, 03:08 AM
They need to figure out a process to wand those that trip the detector. They wand a couple right in front of us but they were standing right in the way to keep people moving, but otherwise it went pretty smooth we showed up right when tailgating shut down so probably made it worse then it really was.

Unrelated note, I wish they'd set up concession lines in a snake pattern instead of lines sticking out into the concourse makes it a pain getting around at peak times.

Bison bison
09-02-2018, 03:15 AM

The hell that I'm going to let aliens control me dick brain

Professor Chaos
09-02-2018, 04:33 AM
Left the tailgate at 2:12 and got in from the north entrance in time to see the banner raised. Very impressed with the Fargodome event staff in getting folks prepared and being efficient. I'll happily admit to being wrong claiming it would be a shit show.

NDSUstudent
09-02-2018, 04:49 AM
The reserved tailgate line was a bigger shitshow but I have zero hope in them ever getting that right.

56BISON73
09-02-2018, 05:05 AM
We went in through the south entrance. It didnt take any longer than what it took last year. No problems what so ever.

NDSU1980
09-02-2018, 05:53 PM
East was easy

That's for sure. We just walked in, went to the express line and went right through. I seriously doubt the whole process took more than 5 seconds. It took longer to get our tickets scanned, and this was at 1:50 PM. Thought the whole thing went well.

Bison"FANatic"
09-02-2018, 08:48 PM
They must have had our line set more sensitive. The other lines were moving quicker and at ours they were wanding a bit over 50%. They kept saying belt buckle and pointing to the wand person. It wasn't western ND size buckles either. Not a %%#% show but clearly different than the other lines.

HerdBot
09-02-2018, 09:10 PM
The reserved tailgate line was a bigger shitshow but I have zero hope in them ever getting that right.

Mythical 9 am start time. I'm sure if they let people in at 850 it will turn into the 1967 Detroit Riots
https://d3i6fh83elv35t.cloudfront.net/newshour/app/uploads/2015/05/460590080-1024x821.jpg

56BISON73
09-02-2018, 11:00 PM
Mythical 9 am start time. I'm sure if they let people in at 850 it will turn into the 1967 Detroit Riots
https://d3i6fh83elv35t.cloudfront.net/newshour/app/uploads/2015/05/460590080-1024x821.jpg

Did you notice the store sign on the right side?

HerdBot
09-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Did you notice the store sign on the right side?

Good eye PL!!

bisonfanette
09-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Yes, dome staff on the East side did a great job! The student line however, was moving very very slowly. (Daughter has done this for a few yrs, & said this was the slowest ever.) That's why section 10 was SLOWLY filling up right at kickoff. (Someone on fb posted a photo of an empty section 10 (before kickoff) & that was NOT true. Many students were lined up outside, all the way to the street.) Sure, there was a small section of blue (unoccupied seats) in 10, but nothing to lose sleep over. Holiday weekend etc.

Honeybooboo
09-03-2018, 02:57 PM
playoff games will be a nightmare with all the winter coats..lol cant wait till December to hear the complaining

EC8CH
09-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Thank God the technology for a fireball detector doesn't exist.

56BISON73
09-03-2018, 07:56 PM
They must have had our line set more sensitive. The other lines were moving quicker and at ours they were wanding a bit over 50%. They kept saying belt buckle and pointing to the wand person. It wasn't western ND size buckles either. Not a %%#% show but clearly different than the other lines.

The buzzer went off as I went through. I said 2 metal hips they did a quick wand and away we went. I was really surprised on how fast it was.

CoachFSCB
09-03-2018, 11:39 PM
My daughter's an NDSU student, and said the student entrance was painfully slow. She got into the building just as Lance Dunn scored the first touchdown, which was right before the lights went out. She said that there was still a long line of students in line behind her who were still waiting to get in, and that it was taking forever to go through the metal detectors at the south side student entrance. I went in the west entrance at 1:30 and got through in just a couple of minutes. It's possible that they were giving some extra scrutiny to the students, but she was not very happy and hoped that the she and her friends would have an easier time of it in the future. Of course, helpful father that I am, I just told her to get in line earlier next time.

imabison
09-03-2018, 11:42 PM
My daughter's an NDSU student, and said the student entrance was painfully slow. She got into the building just as Lance Dunn scored the first touchdown, which was right before the lights went out. She said that there was still a long line of students in line behind her who were still waiting to get in, and that it was taking forever to go through the metal detectors at the south side student entrance. I went in the west entrance at 1:30 and got through in just a couple of minutes. It's possible that they were giving some extra scrutiny to the students, but she was not very happy and hoped that the she and her friends would have an easier time of it in the future. Of course, helpful father that I am, I just told her to get in line earlier next time.

I came in from the West, around 1:40 and it took about 25 minutes. As for the winter coats it should not be an issue, you don't take your coat off and the stuff you must remove according to the signs will be the same.

Just don't try to fill your pockets.

56BISON73
09-03-2018, 11:44 PM

They are much more thorough when checking the students for contraband.

Vet70
09-04-2018, 12:50 AM
They are much more thorough when checking the students for contraband.

Don't know if they are still doing it with the detectors being installed, but they used to pat down the students. I do know, of course, some things got inside but they were thorough enough to find bottles in cowboy boots and in women's bras. No word on whether security yelled, "And It's Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother".

bisonfanette
09-04-2018, 01:09 AM
Because MANY of the students were coming in so slowly. I can also understand why there was a bit of confusion regarding where the students should sit in section 10. (Checking tickets of the non students, who may have moved lower thinking those seats were available.) The upper part of section 10 looked like reserve seating to me.
Hopefully they will be able to speed up the process for this students before the next game?

barnwintersportsengelstad
09-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Everyone will get used to it, get better at it, and people will walk right through. The student section should be faster than it was before, because the metal detector will do the work.

Milkman
09-04-2018, 08:52 AM
The hell that I'm going to let aliens control me dick brainYou, vet, and loaf are easily my favorite bisonvillers.

Sorry that just killed all y'alls rep.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Vet70
09-04-2018, 09:46 AM
You, vet, and loaf are easily my favorite bisonvillers.

Dandy Don Meredith used to say "Them that ain't got it can't lose". And don't lump me in with those other two losers. ;)

1998braves64
09-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Contrary to what they told us at east side while walking by I heard one of the dome guys going down the student line yelling them to remove everything from their pockets. If they were taking out wallets and coins that would slow up the line significantly.

That said seems a bit strange to scrutinize the students more? Over something the metal detectors aren't even technically in place for? Or they thinking that students are more apt to be violent and bring in guns and knives?

westnodak93bison
09-04-2018, 11:28 AM
They are much more thorough when checking the students for contraband.Yes cause they want to keep them from sneaking alcohol in and maintain their 100% success rate of no tolerance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

scottietohottie
09-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Everyone will get used to it, get better at it, and people will walk right through. The student section should be faster than it was before, because the metal detector will do the work.

Do you get used to the full cavity searches at the funny farm?

Hammerhead
09-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Yes cause they want to keep them from sneaking alcohol in and maintain their 100% success rate of no tolerance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Even back at the Dacotah Field days the searches were less thorough on the north side opposite from the student section.

TransAmBison
09-04-2018, 01:28 PM

Sent from my SM-G930V using TapatalkYou must have an affinity for jackwagons.

As for the metal detectors...it wasn't bad. The line was huge when we went through, but it seemed to be moving at a good pace.

Vet70
09-04-2018, 01:36 PM
You must have an affinity for jackwagons.

Jealous.

(10 whatever)

barnwintersportsengelstad
09-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Do you get used to the full cavity searches at the funny farm?

Captain you are brighter than that. We're not the funny farm. Just throw your keys down, walk through, and move onto your seat. Not a slowup in the Hawks' Nest.

heffray
09-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Captain you are brighter than that. We're not the funny farm. Just throw your keys down, walk through, and move onto your seat. Not a slowup in the Hawks' Nest.

The slight difference in attendence may have more to do with UN_’s success with metal detectors, but hey, you gotta pride yourself on something I guess...

Bison Loaf
09-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Have you seen some of my posts??? :confused::facepalm:

Grow ... the hell ... up!

Christopher Moen
09-04-2018, 09:38 PM

You need enough fans to show up first before worrying about any type of bottlenecking issues at the gate(s).

Bison 4 Life
09-04-2018, 10:11 PM
We sailed through them on the west side no problem.

bri-dog
09-04-2018, 10:26 PM
The buzzer went off as I went through. I said 2 metal hips they did a quick wand and away we went. I was really surprised on how fast it was.

Good thing you don't still have that metal plate in your head... :biggrin: :duel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9G1VWo_yyU

GradBison
09-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Yes, dome staff on the East side did a great job! The student line however, was moving very very slowly. (Daughter has done this for a few yrs, & said this was the slowest ever.) That's why section 10 was SLOWLY filling up right at kickoff. (Someone on fb posted a photo of an empty section 10 (before kickoff) & that was NOT true. Many students were lined up outside, all the way to the street.) Sure, there was a small section of blue (unoccupied seats) in 10, but nothing to lose sleep over. Holiday weekend etc.

Because MANY of the students were coming in so slowly. I can also understand why there was a bit of confusion regarding where the students should sit in section 10. (Checking tickets of the non students, who may have moved lower thinking those seats were available.) The upper part of section 10 looked like reserve seating to me.
Hopefully they will be able to speed up the process for this students before the next game?

I got reserved tickets in section 10 upper level Friday morning. The rows between the red seats and my row BB never got filled beyond 10% max. I assumed it was due to delays in the student line initially. But those rows stayed empty and I noticed a very limited number of people moving down to them as the game went on but that area stayed pretty empty.