PDA

View Full Version : 20 College Football Towns You Must Visit This Fall

89MTBISON
08-28-2018, 05:46 AM
https://www.travelpulse.com/gallery/destinations/20-college-football-towns-you-must-visit-this-fall.html

More love for the Bison. Our tailgaiting scene is truly awesome, our fans are passionate and knowledgable, and everyone loves a winner. It's always an ego boost to have football fans from around the country claim Fargo as a college football destination on their bucket list.

HerdBot
08-28-2018, 06:20 AM
Did they put the Red River Zoo on the list? :facepalm:

cbline
08-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Good find!

Hammerhead
08-28-2018, 01:04 PM
All but 3 teams in that list are in Power 5 conferences. The other two are Notre Dame and Boise State.

Bison 4 Life
08-28-2018, 01:05 PM
TBH I loved Missoula as a town, the smoke not so much.

BisonCardinal
08-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Pretty cool to be the only FCS school on list and no Gophers or Cornhuskers. Did the fans that went to the Iowa game do the wave or is that something since 2016?

Bison 4 Life
08-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Pretty cool to be the only FCS school on list and no Gophers or Cornhuskers. Did the fans that went to the Iowa game do the wave or is that something since 2016?

Minneapolis, while a good city, isn't really a college town. It's a different vibe around Dinkytown but still feels too "in the city" to be separate. I'm surprised Columbus is on the list. That's probably the best place I've lived since I left Fargo but the campus also doesn't really feel separate from the city.

College towns are small with the college being a big, if not the biggest part of it.

mebisonII
08-28-2018, 01:47 PM

Just started last year.

mebisonII
08-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Back in grad school, I had conferences in several of those towns (State College, Blacksburg, and Ann Arbor, plus I lived in Iowa City at the time). Always had a great time, and I think I enjoyed those trips as much or more than the conferences in big cities (San Diego, San Francisco, New Orleans, etc).

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2018, 01:54 PM
I'd argue the fargo area is too big to be considered a college town when theres much bigger universities out there in much smaller towns compared to fargo/ndsu.

Theres tons of p5 schools in towns the size of moorhead/west fargo. None the less adding fargos sprawl in there...ndsu is a dot on the map.

Bison 4 Life
08-28-2018, 02:01 PM
I'd argue the fargo area is too big to be considered a college town when theres much bigger universities out there in much smaller towns compared to fargo/ndsu.

Theres tons of p5 schools in towns the size of moorhead/west fargo. None the less adding fargos sprawl in there...ndsu is a dot on the map.

I was going to make this point as well but I think the unique nature of NDSU and how it has leaped on to the national stage balances it out a little bit. When people find out I'm from Fargo, their first association is with the movie, they are also surprised to find out that it is quite a bit larger than they thought.

BFKasper14
08-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Did they put the Red River Zoo on the list? :facepalm:

I was wondering the same thing. That gave me a good chuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhoRepsTheLurker
08-28-2018, 02:26 PM
I was wondering the same thing. That gave me a good chuckle.

No offense to the zoo, but they should have listed Bluestem instead. That venue is a local gem, IMHO.

SDbison
08-28-2018, 03:11 PM
No offense to the zoo, but they should have listed Bluestem instead. That venue is a local gem, IMHO. How true. I am going to my first concert there this Thursday. Nothing like it in the upper Midwest.

EndZoneQB
08-28-2018, 03:29 PM
How true. I am going to my first concert there this Thursday. Nothing like it in the upper Midwest.

They are hosting larger shows on the hill on the backside of the venue now too, which takes away the need for seats. Kind of a unique idea.

wagsabison
08-28-2018, 04:26 PM
How true. I am going to my first concert there this Thursday. Nothing like it in the upper Midwest.

I've been to a couple concerts there. Not a bad seat in the place really.

Hammerhead
08-29-2018, 01:22 AM

We'll be there too. We've been to a few concerts out there and always go for the reserved seating.

SoCalBison
08-29-2018, 01:43 AM
I'm surprised Columbus is on the list. That's probably the best place I've lived since I left Fargo but the campus also doesn't really feel separate from the city.

College towns are small with the college being a big, if not the biggest part of it.

When I lived in Columbus, it always felt like a small town on game days.

StL Bison Fan
08-29-2018, 01:47 AM
https://www.travelpulse.com/gallery/destinations/20-college-football-towns-you-must-visit-this-fall.html

More love for the Bison. Our tailgaiting scene is truly awesome, our fans are passionate and knowledgable, and everyone loves a winner. It's always an ego boost to have football fans from around the country claim Fargo as a college football destination on their bucket list.
Athens, GA is really a great town, especially when classes are in.

Bison 4 Life
08-29-2018, 01:54 AM
When I lived in Columbus, it always felt like a small town on game days.

To be fair, I avoided that part of town like it was on fire on Saturdays.

89MTBISON
08-29-2018, 02:06 AM
Tailgating at away games for me has been disappointing. Fort Collins was ok, at least the downtown area was nice. But their tailgating was pathetic. Iowa state seemed like going to a state fair more than a tailgate. K State was cool, but Iowa was so spread out seemed more like a community garage sale.

MNLonghorn10
08-29-2018, 02:22 AM
To be fair, I avoided that part of town like it was on fire on Saturdays.Well, there probably were some couches on fire that day

MNLonghorn10
08-29-2018, 02:23 AM
Tailgating at away games for me has been disappointing. Fort Collins was ok, at least the downtown area was nice. But their tailgating was pathetic. Iowa state seemed like going to a state fair more than a tailgate. K State was cool, but Iowa was so spread out seemed more like a community garage sale.You tailgated at the wrong spot at Iowa state then

Bison 4 Life
08-29-2018, 02:47 AM
Tailgating at away games for me has been disappointing. Fort Collins was ok, at least the downtown area was nice. But their tailgating was pathetic. Iowa state seemed like going to a state fair more than a tailgate. K State was cool, but Iowa was so spread out seemed more like a community garage sale.

Do what you can, I guess. I've tailgated at Missouri State and Indiana State. Now those were hardly Lollapalooza but we cracked a few beers, ate some tubular cured meat and shit talked the people who were there.

Plenty of fun.