PDA

View Full Version : Must win game....

somebison
10-03-2005, 02:11 AM
for the conference title?

If Poly beats us, they go to 3-0 in conference while we will be 0-1. Poly has two remaining conference games, SUU at home (which they should win) and Davis on the road, so if they beat us, they would probably be 4-1 at worst, which is the best we could be if we ran the table. If we lose we would have to hope for Davis to beat everyone except us, and we would have to win out and have a three way tie for the title at 4-1.

BIG GAME this week

Bisonguy
10-03-2005, 02:13 AM
It's also a must-win game to achieve one of the team goals- to finish the season ranked in the top ten.

Gamehunter
10-03-2005, 03:27 AM
I think I might have found Poly's weakness....they are #82 in punt return yardage defense. Shamen may have a big day if they decide to kick to him.

swaghook
10-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Their weakness on D seems to be stopping the run right up the gut by a good running back. At least in the SDSU and UNC games that seemed to be the case.

We have Steffes and Shamen seemed to be giving Nicholls fits when he got a shot at running the ball as well this week.

Bisonguy
10-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Cal-Poly's weakness is if the opponent does not make any mistakes, and therefore, not turn the ball over. They will make you pay with points off turnovers, either directly or on the ensuing drive. Case in point- last year at the Fargodome. :-/

NDSU is much the same. Good turnover margin, big Bison win, turnovers even, close battle.

WYOBISONMAN
10-03-2005, 05:38 PM
This is a must win for the Bison to finish in the top ten. The loss at MSU was a tough one. The Herd will have to play a near perfect game to get the W in SLO. If they do not play well we will be looking at loss #2. It seems to me that we have not been as "on" for either MSU or Nicholls. We need to get back to the level of play that was demonstrated at NW State.

IowaBison
10-03-2005, 06:16 PM
I disagree on it being a must win.

If we lose, but win our last five (no small feat) we should finish in the top ten (depending on how good SIU really is).

WYOBISONMAN
10-03-2005, 06:33 PM
I disagree on it being a must win.

If we lose, but win our last five (no small feat) we should finish in the top ten (depending on how good SIU really is).

The reason I suspect this one is a "must win" is since we are not in the playoffs, the pollsters will forget about NDSU in the heat of the playoffs. If we have 2 or more losses it may be impossible to finish top ten in the final poll......with only one loss, they have to notice us.

kchats
10-03-2005, 06:38 PM
This is a must win for the Bison to finish in the top ten. *The loss at MSU was a tough one. *The Herd will have to play a near perfect game to get the W in SLO. *If they do not play well we will be looking at loss #2. *It seems to me that we have not been as "on" for either MSU or Nicholls. * We need to get back to the level of play that was demonstrated at NW State.

I agree Wyo. I think the Bison have been solid but not spectacular since the Weber State game. I think part of the problem is when you play the better division I-AA teams (teams with 63 scholarships) it tests team depth more. The Bison are not rotating much for their front 7 on defense and it shows in the later stages of games. I'm not sure why they don't play Lardinos more, everytime he gets in their he makes a play. The defensive starters this year played alot last year as backups and that helped improve them for this year. I hope the coaches start rotating players more.

IowaBison
10-03-2005, 06:47 PM
The reason I suspect this one is a "must win" is since we are not in the playoffs, the pollsters will forget about NDSU in the heat of the playoffs. *If we have 2 or more losses it may be impossible to finish top ten in the final poll......with only one loss, they have to notice us.

I don't think any polls are between the last regular season poll and the final poll. This might play to our advantage.

Poly and Montana State will probably make the playoffs (imo will win their respective conferences) and make it to the semis, if not further. SIU and NWSU might, i repeat, might, make the playoffs. All teams but one who make the playoffs will tack on a loss.

The Bison being 9-2 or even 8-3 with close loses to semifinal (or better) teams might not drop us out of the top ten.

bisongold
10-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Also, what happened to the passing game? Very few passes to the receivers...only one to Heckendorf , 1 to Johnson, etc. I realize that they throw to the tight ends and the full backs but what happened to the West Coast offense of the last 2 years? Was this only a game-specific aberration or is it a new trend? I felt like our offense was getting too predictable again as when Lamar was running.

IowaBison
10-03-2005, 06:49 PM
I agree Wyo. *I think the Bison have been solid but not spectacular since the Weber State game. *I think part of the problem is when you play the better division I-AA teams (teams with 63 scholarships) it tests team depth more. *The Bison are not rotating much for their front 7 on defense and it shows in the later stages of games. *I'm not sure why they don't play Lardinos more, everytime he gets in their he makes a play. *The defensive starters this year played alot last year as backups and that helped improve them for this year. *I hope the coaches start rotating players more.

(I feel like I'm playing the devil's advocate.)

The bison defense did quite well in Natchitoches without making use of rotation.

kchats
10-03-2005, 06:51 PM
I want some young guys to get some reps to so they are ready to play if there is an injury and for next season.

Gamehunter
10-03-2005, 09:49 PM
So far this season has been kind of suprising in a good way, as Kolpack had his over/under at 6-5, that has obviously been blown out of the water.

I do believe a loss here will be a big setback for the season. Not necessarily that it shows we arn't capable of making the top 10 by seasons end (will depend on margin of victory for last 5 games), but it is a matter of the statement that the NDSU football program wants to make. - humiliate the playoff committee. Losing to the Mustangs will most likely mean a shared conference title at the very best, as SUU beating Cal Poly is about as far fetched as I can think of for this year. Since the Bison can't win a NC, a conference title is the second best thing. Probably high on their goals.

As far as the passing game, I have a feeling a large part of that was due to a very good Nicholes secondary. I think they returned everyone from last year, and had really good coverage all day long. ( at least to my untrained eyes) The Cal Poly game may be very similar. The O-Line, while not as good as last year, is making huge strides. Their assignment this saturday should be the ultimate challenge trying to contain Gocong and company similar to last years outing. If they are successfull, it will be a long day for the Mustangs in SLO. Otherwise the oposite may be true if they can force the turnovers. However, that is much easier said than done. I have a feeling we will see less of Shamen and more of Steffes and Chapman pounding it right up the middle. They will have to prove they can stop the run, which I suspect after seeing how the Bears moved the ball.

The lack of D-Line rotation is probably because of the larger dropoff between the #1 and #2 teams this year compared to last year. I think there was some rotation used in the later quarters of the Weber game, but the closer games have been #1's for basically the whole game.

Gully
10-03-2005, 10:45 PM
I agree Bison Gold. I even joked during the game that perhaps Babich was calling the plays since he was at the FFD.

It seemed like Stauss threw many, many short passes and rarely threw down field. I was glad when Walker started stretching the field more and involved the TE to a great degree. Lately though, the playcalling hasn't seemed very dynamic.

Perhaps the coaches felt that Nichols couldn't score much and they were just playing it safe with the lead they had?

It probably sounds like complaining and I shouldn't complain, because the coaching staff has been excellent. I just think that they've lost a little bit of their unpredictabilty. At times the QB comes up to the line and doesn't even look at the secondary and you just know its going to be a run.

bisongold
10-04-2005, 12:26 AM
I really dislike a power "I" formation and trying to run the ball down someone's throat. Too much ego involved and not enough deception.

kchats
10-04-2005, 03:18 AM
I really dislike a power "I" formation and trying to run the ball down someone's throat. *Too much ego involved and not enough deception.

What are you talking about? Thet always run the bootleg for long pass plays out of it. You have to set up the play by banging away for a few tries.

Yellow
10-04-2005, 08:16 AM
I also agree the passing game was non-existant. I am also wondering if they held back a lot due to the fact that they dont want to show cal poly whats in store for them. Hold the reins a little bit against nicholls state and come out gunning against cal poly.
I would also like to see washington at the reciever position. He has good hands and the ability to make people miss.

Bison_Dan
10-04-2005, 01:00 PM
What are you talking about? *Thet always run the bootleg for long pass plays out of it. *You have to set up the play by banging away for a few tries.

The problem with that is when you run the ball the defense is ready for you. *Look at MSU *- 4th and inches and we missed. *If we make that play we score. *I would rather see a 2 or 3 receiver spread and give the ball to Steffes off tackle. *

bisongold
10-04-2005, 01:06 PM
That is exactly what I am talking about! Why not spread to some degree and keep the deception an option. The opposite is true when the shotgun is used on the goal line! I hate that also, and cost us a big game under Babich! We did that a Louisiana this year also and it didn't work.

swany_spectrum
10-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Hopefully we open up the playbook some this week. It seems we've been playing fairly close to the belt after coming out gangbusters versus Northwestern and Weber.

It has been awhile since we've taken a shot down the field to a receiver, i.e., M. Johnson flying down the field, opening things up for the TEs (I think that may have happened at Northwestern). And that would open up the running game a bit more. Seems we've been a bit focused and trying to force the running game as of late as well. Versus Northwestern they said, "We'll stuff the box we dare you to pass," and pass we did!

I guess I'd just like to see us try to stretch the field once or twice a half.

Gamehunter
10-05-2005, 06:46 PM
I think there will be some downfield plays this Saturday, as far as how many, that is hard to tell. No offense to SDSU, but If they put up 16 pts on Poly, I would think we could do alot better. Again, different game, different settings, etc. As long as the turnovers don't become commonplace I have a hard time believing the Cal Poly O can keep up with the Bison, especially considering possession time.

coloradobison
10-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I think the attempts downfield have become fewer with the speed of the opposing teams D-backs, like with nicholls and NSU especially. but even an attempt at a homerun ball gives me some excitement.