PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs Cal Poly

SloStang
10-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I am looking forward to this weeks game against the Bison and at the same time I am a little nervous. I really respect NDSU and think it will be one of the toughest games of the year for Poly. I am just glad that it is a home game for the Mustangs. Fargo is one of the toughest places to win.

NDSU is very balanced offensively. Poly defense works on pressure. Stop an offenses running game and force them into third and long and apply pressure on the QB and force mistakes. First I think it will be hard to contain your running game. If we do, Walker is as cool as ICE. Should be interesting. Hopefully Chris Gocong can introduce himself to Mr. Walker a couple of times. He had 3.5 sacks against UNC and is now up to 10.5 for the year. Even that will not be easy. NDSU was the only team last year that held Gocong with out a full sack. He only recorded .5 in last years game.

Poly is much improved offensively from what you saw last year. Garnett is not a pure passer (he did not play in last years game) but has very good receiver to work with. One to watch out for is emerging Rfr Ramsey Barden who is 6'6" who is great in traffic. Poly also has a Rfr RB, James Noble, who is averaging 7 yards a carry and over 100 yards a game. Problem for Poly is that NDSU will be one of the best defenses they will see. Once again should be interesting.

Like I said I am nervously looking forward to the game. The winner will have a leg up on the GWFC tittle, but UCD may have something to say about that. Saturday can not get here fast enough. I would say good luck next week, but would not really mean it. However good luck with the rest of your season.

swaghook
10-02-2005, 08:15 PM
This game will be a defensive game I don't foresee a lot of points and the winner will probably win by 3 points or less. I'd be surprised if either team went over 20 points.

Even though it is at Poly this year I have to go with the Bison 14 - 10.

Cal_Poly_Mustang
10-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Poly is much improved offensively from what you saw last year. Garnett is not a pure passer (he did not play in last years game) but has very good receiver to work with.

Actually SloStang, Garnett started the game against NDSU and went 8-19-2-95.

Like you, I'm really nervous about this game. I think it can go either way. If Cal Poly can take advantage of a turnover or two, and minimize the NDSU rushing game they'll have a chance. If NDSU rushes for 150+ yards and controls the time of possession like SDSU and UNC did, I think the Mustangs will be in for a long game.

-- Go Mustangs!

Bisonguy
10-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Actually SloStang, Garnett started the game against NDSU and went 8-19-2-95.

Like you, I'm really nervous about this game. *I think it can go either way. *If Cal Poly can take advantage of a turnover or two, and minimize the NDSU rushing game they'll have a chance. *If NDSU rushes for 150+ yards and controls the time of possession like SDSU and UNC did, I think the Mustangs will be in for a long game.

-- Go Mustangs!

Turnovers should play a big part in this game. If either team gains a +2 advantage, victory should be theirs.

roadwarrior
10-03-2005, 04:11 AM
It was a week after the loss to Poly last year that put Walker in the starting QB role.

coloradobison
10-03-2005, 04:30 AM
i distinctly remember a stauss pass that was returned for a touchdown that seemed to me to turn the game for the worse. they wont be as fortunate with walker.

Bisonguy
10-03-2005, 04:35 AM
i distinctly remember a stauss pass that was returned for a touchdown that seemed to me to turn the game for the worse. they wont be as fortunate with walker.

NDSU didn't have their starting kicker for the game last year, either. :-/

coloradobison
10-03-2005, 05:04 AM
we have all kinds of excuses dont we.

Bisonguy
10-03-2005, 05:06 AM
we have all kinds of excuses dont we.

LOL.

I was pointing out that NDSU ended up pooching the kickoffs, and 30-40 yard field goals weren't much of an option.

Proud_Griz_Man
10-03-2005, 08:51 PM
I know this will be a great football game at SLO, but I want to know if NDSU fans expect their party bus to get vandalized or any Bison flags to get burned? :o

Nope, only in bozeman. ::) ::) ::)

barechestcat
10-04-2005, 03:31 AM
proud griz,
you're like the guy who's told the same joke to the same people six times ???. Get off the stump!
But, on the other hand it's the Griz way to live through the past.

In regards to this weekend's Bison game. I"ll definitely be tuning in on this one. I think this is the "game of the week".

What is the kickoff time on this one? Are they playing a later start time like against MSU?

Bisonguy
10-04-2005, 03:33 AM
proud griz,
you're like the guy who's told the same joke to the same people six times ???. Get off the stump!

In regards to this weekend's Bison game. I"ll definitely be tuning in on this one. I think this is the "game of the week".

What is the kickoff time on this one? Are they playing a later start time like against MSU?

6 PM Pacific, 8 PM Central.

silkamilkamonico
10-04-2005, 03:39 AM
I know this will be a great football game at SLO, but I want to know if NDSU fans expect their party bus to get vandalized or any Bison flags to get burned? * :o

Nope, only in bozeman. * ::) ::) ::)

I have to laugh at that.

I lived in Bozeman and went to school there when they were in futility in the early 2000's, and I remember them going through a season without winning a game.

How could a strong football school in one of the better conferences in all *of D1-AA, who gives players scholarships to come and play there, go through a whole season and not even win a single game?

Like you said, I guess only in Bozeman.

Wonderful wonderful place, lousy lousy Division 1 University.

coloradobison
10-04-2005, 04:12 AM
how are you going to watch it on the internet???

kchats
10-04-2005, 04:29 AM
Doesn't sound like it is on the internet this week. Maybe we'll be lucky and they will be the game on Comcast Sportsnet.

Proud_Griz_Man
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
proud griz,

That's some funny sh!t there cat! I suppose that you're the hairy ape MSU fan that shaves M S U in his back hair? Very classy!

I just felt bad for the Bison fans that had to endure your 'criminal' actions in bozeman. Bet you a $1 that nothing gets vandalized in SLO saturday?

JBB
10-04-2005, 04:58 PM
The Cal Poly UNC game yesterday (replay on FCS) revealed a Poly team that can run the dive and pass well off the option. *They have a good option attack and Garnett (sp) their QB looks a lot like Kevin Feeney. *He likes to keep the ball and find the holes, often using misdirection by cutting against the pursuit. *

This team is going to be a challenge. *UNC played them evenly the first half and looked good except for their turnovers. *In the end the score 31-17 revealed the true relative strengths of both teams. *We will need a good game to win. *

I thought we looked a little flat against MSU, and after watching Poly yesterday don’t think that kind of effort will do it for us.

Proud_Griz_Man
10-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Good luck Bison and Cal Poly. A heavyweight matchup.
On a serious note: Are any of you Bison traveling to SLO? If so, I suggest checking out the downtown area and especially Mother's Tavern and McClintocks steak house. SLO is a great town and surrounding area is nice (Pismo Beach/Shell Beach is nice, Hearst Castle is fairly close, wineries up at Paso Robles, etc.)

Bison7925
10-04-2005, 08:30 PM
We will be at the game. We are staying in Cambria and visiting family and friends. Have been invited to tailgate with some SLO folks at the beach.

Should be a great game. Hopefully the Bison pull it out. Either way we are really looking forward to checking out the area.

SloStang
10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Da Bison,

I will see you at the game. I will be the one in green and gold (ha ha). Enjoy your stay in California. Cambria is beautiful.

JBB
10-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Im going to make a call for the BISON in an upset. *we are on the road against a nationally ranked team that will have 7,000 ;) plus in the stands. *These are equally matched teams with some outstanding players on both sides. *Its a big win for the BISON and heres why I picked them:

On average The BISON outscore and out rush the Mustangs. *Their opponents run far more plays than they do and we have an advantage on special teams. *With a ball control offense that remembers to finish drives, doesnt make any mistakes (like last year) and can overcome the aversity of the road, the BISON win. *

Garnett is not quite the passer Walker is but he is a crafty, strong runner and likes the option offense. *Thats why he has scored 7 times. QB advantage Poly.

Receiving goes to NDSU. *Poly has some plus 6 foot fast guys but NDSU has Heckendorf, Cooper and Johnson. *We also have several other players like Jangula and Delabarre that can come through and have. *With Walkers advantage in throwing (higher efficiency rating with a lot more attempts) and our receivers advantage NDSU.

Rushing to the BISON. It might take some rotation. *This is a good defense and showing them different styles and fresh legs might be the difference. Steffes, Moore and Washington should be able to contribute with Steffes leading the way. *He scores as much as Garnett but the BISON will have to slow both Garnett and Nobles, their top running back, down. *

Defense is in favor of NDSU. *I think NDSU will keep the Mustangs off the field. *NDSU will have a big time of possesion advantage. *This will help the BISON and tilt the game in their favor.

coloradobison
10-05-2005, 12:08 AM
JBB, dont take this as criticism...but what makes you think Moore will get any action? He hasnt seen any action in any game with signifigance that i remember. Just wondering... ;D I would like to see Moore play more. unless he fumbles like he did when he got in against Weber in the 4th quarter.... but he has shown that he can also run the ball effectively.

Gamehunter
10-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Im going to make a call for the BISON in an upset. we are on the road against a nationally ranked team that will have 14,000 plus in the stands.

Not if their stadium only seats 8500

coloradobison
10-05-2005, 12:10 AM
thats alot of people deep SRO. short people in front ;D

gwendel
10-05-2005, 12:16 AM
14000 plus in the stands, eh, JBB? That's a pretty good trick for a stadium that only holds 8500. And that's probably stretching it. www.gopoly.com says the capacity is only 7500, but they also say they packed in 8043 for the Montana State game.

From Rich Stevens' Game Day:

Stadium: Mustang Stadium
Capacity: 8,500

Accomodating an extra 6,000 will take a lot of portable bleachers. Let's hope they need them!

JBB
10-05-2005, 12:27 AM
couple things,

we could go to Symeon Cabell or Chapman too. I guess the point I was making was the need to rotate runners a little bit. Some of these guys bring a lot better outside speed. Moore just happens to be the third highest producer per game.

I did mistakenly read Cal Polys total attendance as their average game attendance, which of course is about 7,400 or so. :-/

coloradobison
10-05-2005, 12:47 AM
I understand your point. there were times last year when Steffes wasnt getting the yds/carry and chapman came in and had a very nice yds/carry and got the team moving up and down the field, so your point is understood.

IMO, i think a package needs to be put in with about 4-6 plays with shamen as a slot receiver who goes in motion behind the line when the ball is snapped, have him block as a wide out on a few run plays...and set up a reverse with him in the slot. and the reason there needs to be other plays is so that the other team doesnt instantly know that he is going to get the ball on a reverse when he is in the slot. this creates an extra distraction the defense needs to worry about...heck..throw a pass play in that formation and have him run a Go route and see if he can outrun the safety covering him, he should be able to catch a pass, he fields punts. just my monday morning quarterbacking for the week.

roadwarrior
10-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Poly's stadium in undergoing an expansion, and the current seating number is less than the 8500, since all of the seats on one side have been removed to build the new stands.

SloStang
10-05-2005, 01:24 AM
One place that Cal Poly may have the advantage is that they may have fresher legs in the 4th quarter. This is because they rotate both O and D lines, receivers, linebackers and dbs. Poly is fully funded with 63 scholarships and I think this will be a close game. With more depth and fresh legs in the 4th quarter, this could be the difference. I have read on this board that you are not rotating your defense line and that they were tired in the 4th quarter in both the Montana State and Nichols State games. With the exception of the MSU game, all of Poly's wins were close in the first half and they pulled away in the second. Is this enough for Cal Poly to win? Who knows, that is why they play the game. Should be a good one.

roadwarrior
10-05-2005, 01:51 AM
Yes it will be..see you in SLO, stang.

sambini
10-05-2005, 02:23 AM
Have a good trip Road. And bring home a victory. How many games in a row is this now?

coloradobison
10-05-2005, 02:58 AM
look right under his name on his post....

Bisonfan1
10-05-2005, 03:37 AM
I think we talked about this last year, but why in the world would'nt a bar,lounge etc. get some of these big games and charge a cover charge to get in to watch the game. What does it cost to pick up coverage from the other team etc. Is this at all possible? In this world of technology, cant they beam a signal somewhere back to ND, or wherever fans want to see the game when its not on the net or local TV for a fee? I want to see this game so bad I can taste it.

SloStang
10-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Cal Poly does not have any of their games on television. May be if they continue to do well they might in the future.

sambini
10-05-2005, 04:03 AM
Call WDAY, I AGREE GET IT ON TV.

sambini
10-05-2005, 04:04 AM
look right under his name on his post.... To lazy to look.

roadwarrior
10-05-2005, 04:08 AM
And I'm too lazy to respond ;D

coloradobison
10-05-2005, 04:08 AM
To lazy to look.

Saturday will be 279!!

kchats
10-05-2005, 04:17 AM
Roadwarrior on average how many of your away game trips are free flights earned by all the travel?

coloradobison
10-05-2005, 04:35 AM
All of them!! haha *;D

he should just buy an airline

roadwarrior
10-05-2005, 04:39 AM
2 this year kchats. Booked them way back in April.

NDSU_grad
10-05-2005, 02:11 PM
I was just checking the stats from last year's game with Cal-Poly and was just wondering why the heck we quite running the ball. Steffes gained 67 yards on just 10 carries and as a team we gained 84 on 23 carries (3.7/carry).
I really like that Perles sticks with the run and we don't see any more flares to the TE for a two yard loss.

WYOBISONMAN
10-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Heck...Roadwarrior is such an icon at the games maybe NDSU should look at buying him a plane...... ;)

SloStang
10-05-2005, 09:47 PM
How many of you feel like a kid three days before Christmas? This week is going to slow and Saturday can not get here fast enough. How many do you expect to make the trip to California? It is never to late for a road trip.

coloradobison
10-05-2005, 11:41 PM
<---------------- Wishes he could watch it on TV, but will have to settle for the radio.

Bisonguy
10-05-2005, 11:50 PM
<---------------- *Wishes he could watch it on TV, but will have to settle for the radio.

++

coloradobison
10-06-2005, 12:16 AM
radio through bisonzone...on delay...when i can find out we scored a TD on the game thread before he can hear it on the broadcast... * :-[

sambini
10-06-2005, 03:24 AM
We will listen to the WDAY crew on 970 here in Fargo. MY O MY ...